Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Hyundai Ioniq 28kWh

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,648 ✭✭✭bp_me

Glen Immal wrote: »

Totally naff.

http://carstyle.ie/services/21-stone-guard.html Is absolutely worth doing* as long as your car is in good condition. As you lose access to the paint it would be worth getting a detail with paint correction before doing this.

* disclaimer... literally the first link I clicked that looked like basically the right thing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 100 ✭✭Glen Immal

colmkirk wrote: »
    Was charging my ioniq at a fast charge point at the castlebellingham station on the m1, and a Nissan Leaf mark 2 parked in beside me, he connected the chademo port and it knocked off my connection automatically, has anyone had this issue?

I’ve seen this happen, the FCP can only charge @ 50kw on either the ccs or chadamo. Not both. Unfortunately the ccs seems to be the one to drop out. Taxi driver in leaf plugged in beside me, my charge stopped...I reckon he knew it would happen, as I had enough to get home I didn’t engage but now I ask leaf drivers not to plug in till I’m done.

• Registered Users Posts: 52 ✭✭fitz213

Was it black? If so it was probably mine which was in for a recall/service 🙄
    Glen Immal wrote: »
    Sales guy was very firm in his stance that that was the price even when I pointed out mine and told him how much i had paid...He said I "got lucky" which is true as mine was a cancelled order..allbeit at a lot less than 32000

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,351 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

Was charging my ioniq at a fast charge point at the castlebellingham station on the m1, and a Nissan Leaf mark 2 parked in beside me, he connected the chademo port and it knocked off my connection automatically, has anyone had this issue?
    That's never happened me, and the opposite has. IE someone plugged in the chademo, swiped their card, furrows their brow when only "AC43" is on screen as the DC is in use.

I generally get out and explain, especially if I see them calling ecars. But the chademo being plugged in has never stopped the CCS. In fact I was at Castlebellingham twice last week (1 north and one south) and both times a leaf "plugged in" while I was charging and nothing happened.

• Registered Users Posts: 587 ✭✭✭peaceboi

Yep...had the same issue while charging at Blanchardstown FC. A lady with her new leaf came up and swiped her esb e car card and the charging on mine stopped, somehow!

peaceboi wrote: »
    Yep...had the same issue while charging at Blanchardstown FC. A lady with her new leaf came up and swiped her esb e car card and the charging on mine stopped, somehow!
    Must be software related then, because as I saw above it doesn't happen to all cars/chargers/cards.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 65,881 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

If I'm charging on CCS and someone is approaching to hook up their Leaf to CHAdeMO, I warn them off, explaining that they can't charge at the same time. Never ceases to amaze me that even people who have had their EV for years, more often than not do not know about this. I guess it is one of the alarm bells of the public charging system coming under pressure. Two years ago there were only a handful of CCS cars in the country. Now all EVs sold in this country has CCS (except the L40 and the old Teslas, still very few of them and they rarely charge publicly on CHAdeMO)

Makes me wonder if only a small minority of EV owners generally have a decent knowledge about most things EV related, to the level of say most of the regular posters on this forum

unkel wrote: »
    If I'm charging on CCS and someone is approaching to hook up their Leaf to CHAdeMO, I warn them off, explaining that they can't charge at the same time. Never ceases to amaze me that even people who have had their EV for years, more often than not do not know about this. I guess it is one of the alarm bells of the public charging system coming under pressure. Two years ago there were only a handful of CCS cars in the country. Now all EVs sold in this country has CCS (except the L40 and ALL Teslas, still very few of them and they rarely charge publicly on CHAdeMO)

Makes me wonder if only a small minority of EV owners generally have a decent knowledge about most things EV related, to the level of say most of the regular posters on this forum
    No tesla comes with CCS, and all (except m3 to date which is not sold in europe yet) are compatible with Chademo with the adapter.)

I agree, the level of lack of knowledge among the newer breed of EV owner suggests to me that people are just buying them , and not being the fanatical lunatics like the earlier people were and instead just considering them as "a car" instead of "an ev"

ELM327 wrote: »
    except m3 to date which is not sold in europe yet

Yes it is!

But not in Ireland / the UK yet. Hence my choice of the word "old" :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 100 ✭✭Glen Immal

fitz213 wrote: »
    Was it black? If so it was probably mine which was in for a recall/service ��

No, white

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,147 ✭✭✭✭KCross

No tesla comes with CCS, and all (except m3 to date which is not sold in europe yet) are compatible with Chademo with the adapter.)

Really?

I thought it had a non-standard type 2 socket and they provided an adaptor for ChaDeMo but its not possible to connect a CCS cable directly to a Tesla.... is it?

i.e. I thought the only options for rapid charging a Tesla were ChaDeMo and Tesla supercharging. Is CCS definitely supported too?

KCross wrote: »
    Really?

I thought it had a non-standard type 2 socket and they provided an adaptor for ChaDeMo but its not possible to connect a CCS cable directly to a Tesla.... is it?

i.e. I thought the only options for rapid charging a Tesla were ChaDeMo and Tesla supercharging. Is CCS definitely supported too?
    I think there's a misunderstanding.
    I said "No tesla comes with CCS"... as in "0 Teslas come with CCS" or alternatively "Teslas do not come with CCS".

There's a rumour that EU model 3 will come with a CCS plug (especially after chinese ones had GB/T) but that's not confirmed

There's a rumour that EU model 3 will come with a CCS plug

No rumour. All Tesla Model 3 sold in the USA and in Europe have CCS charging.

No rumour. All Tesla Model 3 sold in the USA and in Europe have CCS charging.
    To be fair, this was only confirmed this week :p

https://twitter.com/driveEV/status/1047411128194805760

It was a rumour until then.

Nonsense. There have been EU Tesla Model 3 cars driving around for well over a year. All have CCS.

• Advertisement

Nonsense. There have been EU Tesla Model 3 cars driving around for well over a year. All have CCS.

:confused:
    Can you provide a source to this?
    Either of the two ..

On the road fully legal in the Netherlands since August 2017. This was taken in September last year near the Tilburg factory / assembly plant

DJNkxNzXkAU61_W.jpg

I was right there on that bit of road around that time, but It wasn't me who spotted it :p

I think there's a misunderstanding.
    I said "No tesla comes with CCS"... as in "0 Teslas come with CCS" or alternatively "Teslas do not come with CCS".

There's a rumour that EU model 3 will come with a CCS plug (especially after chinese ones had GB/T) but that's not confirmed

ok, sorry. I misread it.

On the road fully legal in the Netherlands since August 2017. This was taken in September last year near the Tilburg factory / assembly plant

DJNkxNzXkAU61_W.jpg

I was right there on that bit of road around that time, but It wasn't me who spotted it :p
    That's one car on NL plates
    Doesnt prove anything, could have been a test mule and there certainly is no CCS info there either.

Anything that actually shows, and I quote from you, "Nonsense. There have been EU Tesla Model 3 cars driving around for well over a year. All have CCS.

That's just one car. There are many Tesla Model 3 driving all over Europe. Have a look at YT. I would bet serious money that all of them have CCS

What makes you think they would not have CCS?

• Advertisement

That's just one car. There are many Tesla Model 3 driving all over Europe. Have a look at YT. I would bet serious money that all of them have CCS

What makes you think they would not have CCS?

"I would bet" =/= "nonsense - they all have CCS".

Come on, you know more than most the merits of "he who asserts must prove". Every time someone questions something you claim, you're back with demonstrative proof with a "linky" below it.

have you any link showing a) there are model 3s being sold in Europe or b) they are being sold in Europe or will be sold in Europe confirmation with CCS.

Because I've googled and looked on speakEv and can't see anything.

Fair enough, I can't prove my point here :)

But what on earth makes you think European Tesla Model 3 would not have CCS while the US cars do?

Edit - hold on a second. I thought all US Model 3 had CCS, but it looks I was completely wrong there. I can see your point now! :o

Fair enough, I can't prove my point here :)

But what on earth makes you think European Tesla Model 3 would not have CCS while the US cars do?

Edit - hold on a second. I thought all US Model 3 had CCS, but it looks I was completely wrong there. I can see your point now! :o

US and EU model 3 do not have CCS.

There has not been a EU expansion of model3 yet, although per this link it looks like it will happen in the next few months.

https://insideevs.com/tesla-registers-model-3-vins-europe/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,285 ✭✭✭cros13

US and EU model 3 do not have CCS.

There has not been a EU expansion of model3 yet, although per this link it looks like it will happen in the next few months.

https://insideevs.com/tesla-registers-model-3-vins-europe/

Correct, at least some of the test Model 3 driving around europe have US Tesla proprietary connectors and are charging at superchargers using an adapter.

But there have also been multiple reports of works ongoing at supercharger sites to prepare for the introduction of CCS in addition to Tesla Type 2.

And with Tesla being a member of the CCS technical groups, CCS adapters not being allowed under the spec and the charging flap on the Model 3 being sized correctly for Type 2 I'd feel very comfortable beting a substantial amount of money on EU Model 3 being CCS.

Anyway... isn't this the Ioniq thread?

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 8,075 Mod ✭✭✭✭liamog

Well the Ioniq was described as the poor mans Tesla, and now the Model 3 is the poor mans (more like slight better off) mans Tesla.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,127 ✭✭✭BigAl81

From that article it says...

"Hyundai is planning to increase the size of the Ioniq Electric’s battery pack next year, most likely with the 2020 model".

So next year (2019) but in the 2020 model?

Seems like a contradiction, does that mean really late 2019 then?

Nah, I've mentioned it several times. MY is a US thing. It is fairly meaningless as per the starting date of the model year. As in MY2020 could be a car delivered on January 1st 2019!

MY2020 is by definition a car that is delivered at some point during 2019...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,127 ✭✭✭BigAl81

Any idea when that "some point" will be in this case?

Nope, could be any time. What's said in that article about a longer range Ioniq is nothing new. It has been mentioned several times for almost 2 years now. I'm not quite sure with how much authority. The guy quoted works for Hyundai USA, not for the mother company in South Korea. I'll believe a LR Ioniq when I see it. I'd say Hyundai will concentrate on the Kona for now to maximise profits in a world of very limited battery production.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 98 ✭✭TOLLOT

Morning Folks
    My Ioniq would not move this morning for trip to work .
    Message “check brakes” flashing when I started it . Had about 170 km range so main battery has plenty charge
    It switched on but wouldn’t go into gear .
    It was the first touch of frost we’ve got so I left it on with heaters running for 10 min and then turned it off and left it for 15 min .

Totally dead this time , wouldn’t respond the key , lock or unlock .
    Opened the charger port by crawling into the boot and Tried plugging in , no joy .
    I be seen ppl on here have problems with the 12v battery and given it was totally dead a few min later it’s my theory it’s acting up .
    Any one across this before ? Any one changed supplied 12 V battery?
    Guess AA cover is an immediate solution but interested in preventing this happening again as while I had to Walk to work today I might not be so lucky another time .

How old is your Ioniq? If it was manufactured before March 2017, did you have the brake recall done by the dealer last year?

181 , bought March 18. Haven’t had any brake recall done on it no . Can look into that one , with dealer .

No need. Your car doesn't need the brake recall

• Registered Users Posts: 111 ✭✭jeremy_g

TOLLOT wrote: »
    Morning Folks
    Message “check brakes” flashing when I started it . Had about 170 km range so main battery has plenty charge
    It switched on but wouldn’t go into gear .

you need to press the break pedal to be able to switch into gear. Sometime happened to me it wouldn't go even though it was in D until I put on the seat belt. just saying...

Nope , more serious issue than that I’m afraid!
    “ stop vehicle and check brakes “ takes over the display to the right of the Speedo

I left it on with heaters running for 10 min and then turned it off and left it for 15 min .

Totally dead this time , wouldn’t respond the key , lock or unlock .

You could be right that the 12V is acting up. If the battery isnt strong enough to fire up all the systems (e.g. the ABS systems etc) then its not going to let you drive (flashbacks of the Apollo 13 film there!)

If you have time before you send it to a flatbed I'd stick the 12V on a charger for a few hours and see if it starts then. If that fixes it either get the 12V on a full recharge for 24hr+ or get a new 12V.

The Leaf behaves very much the same when the 12V goes low. It starts throwing errors and you cant unlock etc like you have described.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,921 ✭✭✭zg3409

>Totally dead this time , wouldn’t respond >the key , lock or unlock .
    >Opened the charger port by crawling >into the boot and Tried plugging in , no >joy .

Did you get drivers door to open? There is a keyhole hidden under a cover on the door handle. There is a knack to getting cover off. I have photos and intend doing YouTube video as I could not find a guide online at 06:30 am on Monday when my car would not unlock.

>Any one across this before ?

Yes. Car was 100% charged Monday morning, but would not unlock. I popped off cover and unlocked using emergency key blade. Attempted to start and display went on and off. I jumped it using another car battery, basically left it connected until I pressed start button inside. I then drove it 1 hour to dealers. 12V battery has 2 years dealer warranty. Long story short dealer said battery seemed OK now, but to keep an eye on it, and they said they updated the cars computer from 2016 code to 2017 code. He said a bug might have caused the cars battery to go flat. Since then car is OK with old battery, but I think old battery is no longer 100%, and will need replacing. I have been bringing a spare battery and jump leads with me in case it won't start again some day. I may hassle dealer to replace battery.

>Any one changed supplied 12 V battery?

Easily done, probably 60 quid. I have a photo of battery. Pm me if you need it

Guess AA cover is an immediate solution but interested in preventing this happening again as while I had to Walk to work today I might not be so lucky another time .

If it is the 12V at fault and based on the fact you said you walked to work today is it fair to say the car isnt used alot and your commute is quite short?

For a car that is only 6mths old it is odd that the 12V would go low (unless you just got unlucky) but if the car is only doing short hops the 12V is likely not getting enough recharge float voltage everyday to keep it topped up and with the cold weather, as you said, and dark nights with more heating and lights etc it might have tipped it over the edge.

What charge regime do you keep? Do you charge to 100% every day or only as needed?

• Advertisement

Try to enable Aux. Battery Saver+ in this case.

"The Aux. Battery Saver+ is a function that monitors the charging status of the 12 V auxiliary battery. If the auxiliary battery level is low, the main high voltage battery charges the auxiliary battery."

I believe it is switched on by default. Maybe it was off for TOLLOT?

Just trying to give him all the options, most people never read the user's manual :)

Myself never had any problems with my car in 15 months now.

jeremy_g wrote: »
    Just trying to give him all the options, most people never read the user's manual :)

Myself never had any problems with my car in 15 months now.

I dont know the Ioniq menus but from reading what jeremy has posted it sounds like its not whether its on or off but also what mode it is set to... Cycle or Automatic.

If its set to cycle it means its charging the 12V every 3 days.

In automatic mode its only charging the 12V if the car is turned on and plugged in. That's a strange setting for automatic, why the need for it to be plugged in? Does it not topup the 12V while driving?

Lets see what charge regime TOLLOT has and what that menu setting is set to.

Either way, he should start with charging the 12V from an external charger and see how it behaves after that.

Thanks , one lads at work has a jump start pack and d I’m going to bring that home tonight before I do anything else .
    I’ll charge up the 12 v and see what happens and report back

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,644 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

Thanks , one lads at work has a jump start pack and d I’m going to bring that home tonight before I do anything else .
    I’ll charge up the 12 v and see what happens and report back

Send it to garage that's what warranty is for.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,819 ✭✭✭Silent Running

My car is from March 18 and the battery saver was set to off. I clearly remember changing the setting to allow the battery saver to operate. Now I see the blue light flashing occasionally, telling me that it's charging the 12v battery (not plugged in).

It seems odd that it wouldn't be on by default, but then I think of all the buttons I have to press before setting off: VESS, auto hold, turn on cruise. :)

As regards charge regime I top it up as needs be . But my commute to work is short . I’d say for example I’m might have only done 30 kn yesterday around the place then maybe fortnightly trips to Dublin from cork .

That’s a good tip in the hidden car door opening slot . I was lucky in that I didn’t relock it when I left it in drive for 15 min so the drivers door was open . Wouldn’t been able to even try things otherwise

I’m inclined to lean towards the 12 v given it was totally dead the second time . I curious as to what might have caused the 12v to drain in this instance

I’ll check the settings tonight in battery saver and see what story is ,
    I’ll charge up the 12 v and see what happens then .
    That’s the main suspect for now .
    I’ll report in then . Obviously I was lucky this morning but it this happens much further from home I’d be in a tight spot .

I’m inclined to lean towards the 12 v given it was totally dead the second time . I curious as to what might have caused the 12v to drain in this instance

You left it running with the heaters on when the battery was already almost dead anyway, so that just killed it entirely.

The 12V battery needs hours on a charger to get it back to where it needs to be. 30mins might be enough to spring it into life but unless you give it hours on a charger you will be looking at the same issue again the following day.... assuming it is the 12V, of course.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,644 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

I’ll check the settings tonight in battery saver and see what story is ,
    I’ll charge up the 12 v and see what happens then .
    That’s the main suspect for now .
    I’ll report in then . Obviously I was lucky this morning but it this happens much further from home I’d be in a tight spot .

Have you got a proper battery charger to plug into the mains?

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement