Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Hyundai Ioniq 28kWh

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,236 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

Not that simple though. A part of the decision process to move to EV would be the need to get a day/night meter, and the extra annual costs associated with that. Most people would use the worst case figures in their calculations, which would be their current 24 hour rate, and would include VAT. ;)

99% would only apply after a fee was introduced to use the chargers. I have nothing to back this up, but I can't imagine there are very many people currently doing 99% of their charging at home, while there's free electricity to be had. Human nature and all that.

Because of my use pattern and necessity (and my nature as a human:P) I reckon that 95% of my charging is done on the public network. I know of some where that figure is 100%.

Fees for charging should be high enough to chase the likes of me back to their home chargers, where possible,:o but not so high as to be a negative factor in the decision process.
    Moving to a night meter is free.
    I believe once you use 20% of your energy at night it is advantageous to have one, and for me, I had a night meter before I had my EV for that reason.

Whether it's 6c at night or worst case 17c at day time for 99% of the charging it's still not even in the same stratosphere as fossil fuel. If 95-100% of your charging is on the public network by necessity then you have bought the wrong car.

If it's 95-100% of your charging is on the public network now for cheapness then you just don't value your time. It costs approx €2 on night rate to charge an Ioniq from 0 to full. If sitting at a fast charger for 34 minutes from 0 to 94% is worth €2 to you then you need either a better paid job or a reality check.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,136 ✭✭✭✭KCross

Because of my use pattern and necessity (and my nature as a human:P) I reckon that 95% of my charging is done on the public network. I know of some where that figure is 100%.

Are you talking SCP or FCP charging? Do you spend alot of time waiting around for the car to charge?

Why dont you charge at home... is it just to save the few quid you do it?

KCross wrote: »
    Are you talking SCP or FCP charging? Do you spend alot of time waiting around for the car to charge?

€2 per charge saving, even if he's charging all the time at fast chargers it means he values his time at best at €4 per hour, and this does not exclude time spent driving to and from the fast charger.

He is a prime example of why we need payment for charging now, and why it needs to be dearer than home charging by some margin.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,819 ✭✭✭Silent Running

ELM327 wrote: »
    €2 per charge saving, even if he's charging all the time at fast chargers it means he values his time at best at €4 per hour, and this does not exclude time spent driving to and from the fast charger.

He is a prime example of why we need payment for charging now, and why it needs to be dearer than home charging by some margin.

Wow, wow, steady on there. My usage pattern is not the normal commute to work and home. I'm retired and live the life of leisure. Yesterday I ran up to Dublin, did a bit of stuff up there and ran back down. 2 fast charges required, so shoot me.

Tomorrow, I'll go into Wexford, do a bit of shopping and have lunch, while my car will be on a slow charger. That's what they're for, right? I plan to go to Waterford over the weekend, where I'll use a destination charger.

You two are talking like I'm a two headed demon, without knowing my usage and charging pattern. Of course I charge at home. Of course I use fast chargers as necessary, on route, of course I use destination charging. I don't think I'm at all unique in my usage, maybe I'm just more honest.

Jeez, high horse brigade out in force today. :p

Wow, wow, steady on there. My usage pattern is not the normal commute to work and home. I'm retired and live the life of leisure. Yesterday I ran up to Dublin, did a bit of stuff up there and ran back down. 2 fast charges required, so shoot me.

Tomorrow, I'll go into Wexford, do a bit of shopping and have lunch, while my car will be on a slow charger. That's what they're for, right? I plan to go to Waterford over the weekend, where I'll use a destination charger.

You two are talking like I'm a two headed demon, without knowing my usage and charging pattern. Of course I charge at home. Of course I use fast chargers as necessary, on route, of course I use destination charging. I don't think I'm at all unique in my usage, maybe I'm just more honest.

Wow wow steady on there. I didnt put you down at all. I asked you some basic questions, without any judgement at all, and you've given the answers. Thanks! :)

Wow wow steady on there. I didnt put you down at all. I asked you some basic questions, without any judgement at all, and you've given the answers. Thanks! :)

Well, the bolded part was an assumption that I never charge at home, and that I'm just a miser. :D

Doesnt align with:
    Not that simple though. A part of the decision process to move to EV would be the need to get a day/night meter, and the extra annual costs associated with that. Most people would use the worst case figures in their calculations, which would be their current 24 hour rate, and would include VAT. ;)

99% would only apply after a fee was introduced to use the chargers. I have nothing to back this up, but I can't imagine there are very many people currently doing 99% of their charging at home, while there's free electricity to be had. Human nature and all that.

Fees for charging should be high enough to chase the likes of me back to their home chargers, where possible,:o but not so high as to be a negative factor in the decision process.

Well, the bolded part was an assumption that I never charge at home, and that I'm just a miser. :D

You said 95% of your charging was on the public network so I knew you had a home charger for the other 5%. I then asked you why you were using the public network so much and asked if it was to save money or not.

No assumptions, just a question which I asked and you have answered.

Nowhere in my post did I put you down.

Doesnt align with:

How does it not? My usage pattern allows for me to us the public network most of the time. Again, that's what destination chargers are for, right? I only use fast chargers as a necessity, I don't go out of my way to use them, not that there are any CCS chargers within an asses roar of where I live.

I'm not the first to post on here that I use the public charging network as an opportunist, and I'm far from the only one to do it. Are you saying that you don't plug in to the public network when you can? Probably not, because that would make you a hypocrite. :p

Look, lads, this is all great banter, but be realistic. I'm sure most of us take advantage of the free charge when it's available. Am I wrong in this? Am I just a miserable git? I won't deny that it's possible and that a fixed income over many years will do that to you. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 649 ✭✭✭Moreilly

Jeazus i hope people considering buying a EV don't read threads like this or scan through the various facebook groups or i can foresee a resurgence in the oul' ICE cars .......

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,822 ✭✭✭Old diesel

Interesting report from Ioniq driver on Irish EV owners association.

He got a charger error message (when using a fast charger) BUT his car actually charged up.

Wierd one.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,404 ✭✭✭1874

Moreilly wrote: »
    Jeazus i hope people considering buying a EV don't read threads like this or scan through the various facebook groups or i can foresee a resurgence in the oul' ICE cars .......

Why? it looks like charging an EV is more cost effective than petrol or diesel,
    Id like to see some cost comparisons but Im not sure how they are compared. The considerations for fuel costs would be how much it is for the consumer to purchase the fuel (or electricity) at. In the end thats what it costs to deliver to the end user generally, I know there are taxes on fuels and potentially subsidies on EVs that arent related to the respective products.
    Be good to know how much loses there are in delivering electricity, but that might be more difficult to determine the cost of, but there is a whole infrastructure to deliver liquid fuels and the cost/impact/effciency of that is never considered.
    Even recently Id considered of going a hybrid vehicle route, but when you see what is available now, it seems likely the options could cover the distances for most peoples needs, and no tailpipe emmisions, think its coming whether people like it or not, maybe something else will come along too, but I think it will be a while.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,887 ✭✭✭zg3409

>it looks like charging an EV is more cost >effective than petrol or diesel,
    >Id like to see some cost comparisons

My electric cost is 400 per year measured after losses at home charger not car, night rate.

Diesel for same commute approx 2000

Petrol guzzler was 4000 per year.

110km per day. Also 400 savings in tolls. It is mostly just tax avoidance. Ioniq EV. All motorway on m50 at rush hour. I have 45 to 50% battery spare each day.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,122 ✭✭✭BigAl81

Shefwedfan wrote:
    Hyundai have partnered with Vodafone, looks like app could be coming in Europe....

No way, that would be great!!

However it's on "upcoming 2019 models" from how I'd read the article, so I don't think current Ioniqs will get it. I don't think the current batch of cars have the module for it?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,958 ✭✭✭✭Shefwedfan

BigAl81 wrote: »
    No way, that would be great!!

However it's on "upcoming 2019 models" from how I'd read the article, so I don't think current Ioniqs will get it. I don't think the current batch of cars have the module for it?

No it would be rolled out with new models.....

Kia will get as well

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 755 ✭✭✭Zenith74

The prices of the Ioniq in general seem a little perplexing, is it just the short supply I wonder? I'm debating swapping one of the Leafs for an Ioniq to try it out, but looking on Autotrader at say these three -
    2016 - https://www.autotrader.co.uk/classified/advert/201810171586932 £21000
    2017 - https://www.autotrader.co.uk/classified/advert/201811072220909 £23400
    2018 - https://www.autotrader.co.uk/classified/advert/201810251831824 £22995

How are these all so closely priced given they're same specs, similar(ish) low mileage, same colour, all from dealers etc but three years of different ages. Hard to know what good value is :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 381 ✭✭sean72

Do Hyundai recommend any specific type of home charger for their range?

It's the lack of supply - considering dealers here are retailing ex demos from UK dealers because they can't get any more from Hyundai, you know there's a supply problem.

The demand is there, and people dont seem to apply depreciation.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 65,741 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

A second hand, white (!!!) Ioniq for over €40k is ridiculous. Must be a typo. Even at €30k it would be poor value

If you want one, try and get a better deal or bring one in from the UK (from about £20k, so about €23k landed if you do it yourself for a 2017 car)

unkel wrote: »
    A second hand, white (!!!) Ioniq for over €40k is ridiculous. Must be a typo. Even at €30k it would be poor value

If you want one, try and get a better deal or bring one in from the UK (from about £20k, so about €23k landed if you do it yourself for a 2017 car)

I'm not sure what the problem is here. It's a brand new car with 15kms on it. The price isn't "insane", it's clearly before grants, and €30k would be about right for a new Ioniq. What's the drama? :p

Pretty stupid for a dealer to advertise the price before grants, for a start

Then why would anyone pay more than the full RRP for a 182 car when they can have the same car for the same money on 191 plates in 6 weeks time?

Pretty stupid for a dealer to advertise the price before grants, for a start

Then why would anyone pay more than the full RRP for a 182 car when they can have the same car for the same money on 191 plates in 6 weeks time?

Yeah, stupid alright. At least include it somewhere else on the ad.

Loads of people are now buying cars for January delivery. No need for this car to be any different. It could be registered straight away, but it would take a certain type of fool to do that.

Anyone remember the days of cars driving around for months with bits of cardboard saying "for reg" stuck to the reg plate space? :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 399 ✭✭Petetheroadie

Or less for a 2016 car

https://www.autotrader.co.uk/classified/advert/201810281914824

Good find! I reckon the seller is asking for too little. It should sell very quickly. If you got it for GBP16k, you could land it for less than EUR18.5k. Much better value than a say €15k 2016 Leaf30

Yeah, stupid alright. At least include it somewhere else on the ad.

Loads of people are now buying cars for January delivery. No need for this car to be any different. It could be registered straight away, but it would take a certain type of fool to do that.

Anyone remember the days of cars driving around for months with bits of cardboard saying "for reg" stuck to the reg plate space? :D

That driving around with no reg was very much a thing around 1988 to 1990.

You were winning on the double - you got to shout to the world in November that you had a new car by having no plates.

You then got to shout to the world you had a new car for the 2nd time in January the following year by having the new years registration.

Happy times.

It's the lack of supply - considering dealers here are retailing ex demos from UK dealers because they can't get any more from Hyundai, you know there's a supply problem.

The demand is there, and people dont seem to apply depreciation.

Is any grant available if you purchase a car in the UK

Nope, you have to buy a brand new EV in Ireland to get €5,000 SEAI grant

If you buy a new or second hand EV in the UK, you do still get the €5,000 discount on the VRT though and you also get the €600 subsidy to install a charge point at your home.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,081 ✭✭✭fricatus

sean72 wrote: »
    Do Hyundai recommend any specific type of home charger for their range?

Not that I'm aware of. I wasn't given any advice to this effect. AFAIK, it has to be Type2, and that's it.

My own charger is a Zappi, installed by Nigel Daly and so far (touch wood) I'm very happy with it. There were cheaper options, but this seemed like the best overall in terms of quality and reliability. Apart from one occasion when it tripped the switch, it hasn't let me down since it was installed back in late April.

2016 Ioniq not had much depreciation in its 2 (nearly 3now) years:
    https://www.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/hyundai-ioniq-ev-ex-demo-vehicle/20407587

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 8,061 Mod ✭✭✭✭liamog

Just ordered 4 new tyres for our Ioniq, hitting around 40k and the wear on the fronts means I want to replace them before winter.
    I've gone for the Continental AllSeasonContacts. Hopefully should improve the off the line performance when it's wet.

I'll post here when they're on.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,042 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

2016 Ioniq not had much depreciation in its 2 (nearly 3now) years:
    https://www.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/hyundai-ioniq-ev-ex-demo-vehicle/20407587

There's no price, how do you know what the depreciation is.

>There's no price, how do you know what >the depreciation is.

It did have a price, they removed it, presumably to increase it

I could be wrong but I think the price was €23,995
    liamog wrote: »
    I've gone for the Continental AllSeasonContacts. Hopefully should improve the off the line performance when it's wet.

Would you share how you came to that choice, reviews? How much were they and where did you have them fitted?

My mileage is a good bit lower, but it won't be that long before I need to replace mine. I also don't care much about efficiency / range, but I do need tyres with a lot more grip when circumstances aren't perfect. The wheelspin I've had the last wet week or so was not funny (I know it is my driving style more to blame than the tyres)

Nope, you have to buy a brand new EV in Ireland to get €5,000 SEAI grant

If you buy a new or second hand EV in the UK, you do still get the €5,000 discount on the VRT though and you also get the €600 subsidy to install a charge point at your home.
    ok, so in effect you do?
    not sure what the vrt would be but if it was 5100, you only pay 100, so whatever the balance is after 5k. I'll have to compare prices here to see if there is that much of a saving to be made on similar age, if you can save 5k on the cost then it breaks even if you can deduct it from the vrt. Are the features or spec any different for UK models?

>Are the features or spec any different for >UK models?

Basic Irish spec does not have heated steering wheel, otherwise same as far as I know. Higher uk spec has leather and I think heated back seats.

NIMAN wrote: »
    There's no price, how do you know what the depreciation is.
    Was listed at 24k when I posted it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,958 ✭✭✭✭Shefwedfan

They sold it anyway....didn’t last long

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,292 ✭✭✭MightyMunster

zg3409 wrote: »
    >Are the features or spec any different for >UK models?

Basic Irish spec does not have heated steering wheel, otherwise same as far as I know. Higher uk spec has leather and I think heated back seats.

There is a heated steering wheel on the Irish 2019 model.
    Hyundai UK website has the differences between the specs, leather, blindspot warning and front parking sensors, think that's all.

There is a heated steering wheel on the Irish 2019 model.
    Really? That would be great, going to test drive a newly landed demo car today so I'll check that out, thanks!

I can confirm that the 191 Ioniq EV I just bought has a heated steering wheel :)

:D:D:D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,089 ✭✭✭Krombopulos Michael

I can confirm that the 191 Ioniq EV I just bought has a heated steering wheel :)

Congrats on thew new purchase :)

Test drive went well then :).

Best of luck with the car

Thanks,

Still a bit surreal, hadn't really planned to by one today, but my current car is falling apart so that accelerated plans somewhat.

It's a lovely car, I also test drove the Model S and Leaf for comparison.

I got scrappage on the Ioniq so for 26k on the road it's a bargain.

It's nice to drive and very comfortable. I would have liked leather and an app to control the preheating etc, but for the price I'm happy.

Collecting first week in January, seems aaagggeeesss away now ;)

Thanks for all the advice on this forum, there isn't a hope I'd have gotten one without the help and tips here.

Cheers,
    Big "Electric" Al ;)

Thanks,

Still a bit surreal, hadn't really planned to by one today, but my current car is falling apart so that accelerated plans somewhat.

It's nice to drive and very comfortable. I would have liked leather and an app to control the preheating etc, but for the price I'm happy.

Thanks for all the advice on this forum, there isn't a hope I'd have gotten one without the help and tips here.

Cheers,
    Big "Electric" Al ;)
    Wow, sure is, I paid that for a 171 earlier this year!
    Well wear.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 8,061 Mod ✭✭✭✭liamog

Would you share how you came to that choice, reviews? How much were they and where did you have them fitted?

The conti's seem to be scoring quite well in comparison tests.

https://www.autoexpress.co.uk/accessories-tyres/92873/all-season-tyre-test-20182019-results-by-category

I bought them from EireTyres for ~€88 a corner. Will be getting them fitted by Phil in Naas, not sure on the price yet.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,292 ✭✭✭MightyMunster

Thanks,

Cheers,
    Big "Electric" Al ;)

Congrats, what colour did you get? Put a deposit down on a yet to arrive black one today.

• Advertisement

Had a choice of black or white and went white. Had a black car for 5 years so just fancied a change!

Reading the 550 page manual now!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement