Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Hyundai Ioniq 28kWh

Comments

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 8,061 Mod ✭✭✭✭liamog

eagerv wrote: »
    Looked at one this morning with a white wrapped front.

Didn't think it looked great..

I think it looks smart in black, but it's difficult to colour match the white.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,822 ✭✭✭Old diesel

There's nothing dealers can do about Ioniq supply.

Theres a lot they can do about deciding not to stand over an offer the manufacturer is offering in the Website.

And even if all they are getting is one car - they should still try to see if they could in a professional manner do a deal on it with the customer.

In my experience - Ford, Hyundai and Nissan salesmen handle this dealing with the customer better.

That's inspite of every Nissan salesman ive ever encountered doing or saying something that got me feeling a tad ranty. Still better then Hyundai though.

The last Nissan experience.....

1) went on about how hybrids don't do the MPG claimed while doing exactly what he was criticising Toyota for when talking about Leaf range.

2) didn't seem too tuned in on wider charging network implying it was better then it is. To be fair to the man it doesnt look too bad on the eCars website it's just not great when you hear real world reports from here and on Irish EV owners association on Facebook.

On the plus side.....

1) got to see and drive the Leaf on the same day I rang.

2) was upfront and straight about what he was giving for the trade in car and why.

3) he was happy to spend time with us showing the car and going through potential deal.

The buying experience would likely have been relatively fuss free had we wanted to go with a Leaf.

Hyundai seen to be demanding far more effort - granted their offering is significantly better but how many normal drivers will get that far.

Us geeks will consider waiting/putting in effort to get the better car.

The normal guy who wants an EV because he just sees them as the way to go - will just buy the L40 and convince himself rapidgate won't impact him too much.

Kearys in Cork have two 191 Ioniqs up on carzone - add updated 5 days ago.

Mooneys in Deansgrange have one up on carzone and the ad was updated 1 day.

Mooneys are implying you can go in and order the Ioniq.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,819 ✭✭✭Silent Running

That one in Fairview motors looks darker than the Aurora Silver, it looks more like dark grey.

There are new colours out now. I would have gone for the blue if I could have got my hands on one last year, but the new blue is even nicer still. Darker than last years blue. :cool:

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,406 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

I'm hopefully test driving one on Friday evening. I've been quoted 27k on the road from two places now though only one of them has a car in stock (the one I'm test driving).

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 19,197 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

..so that’s a demo, not a new one

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,406 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

slave1 wrote: »
    ..so that’s a demo, not a new one

Yeah my brother said the same thing. I guess it's a bargaining chip if I decide to go for it. I'm pretty hopeless at this sort of thing though tbh, never really dealt with car salespeople before :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 65,741 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

Still a 191, wouldn't bother me if it was a few weeks old and already had an owner on the reg. 27k incl metallic paint on the road isn't a bad starting point. I'd want at least 500 off that though, seeing as some people got white 191 for 26k with scrappage (metallic is 700 extra iirc)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,227 ✭✭✭Kramer

unkel wrote: »
    Phantom Black is a great colour on Ioniq. Needs the grill wrapped in glossy black even more than the other colours though.

Spotted one........

hmpJFII.jpg

Looks OK to me?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,292 ✭✭✭MightyMunster

Still a 191, wouldn't bother me if it was a few weeks old and already had an owner on the reg. 27k incl metallic paint on the road isn't a bad starting point. I'd want at least 500 off that though, seeing as some people got white 191 for 26k with scrappage (metallic is 700 extra iirc)

It probably only arrived at the end of November, so practically a 191, that's when all the garages around Dublin got the demos in. Was waiting weeks for a test drive at that time.

• Advertisement

Kramer wrote: »
    Spotted one........

hmpJFII.jpg

Looks OK to me?

I have a black one since last week,was thinking of getting the wrap done before hand but don't think I'll bother now. Great car, delighted with it. Especially on these frosty mornings !

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,887 ✭✭✭zg3409

Fairview also just added a white 182:

https://www.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/hyundai-ioniq-ev-full-electric-showroom-model/20755386#xtor=EPR-4-%5BsearchAlert%5D-20190124-%5BviewMatchingAd%5D-521001@1

zg3409 wrote: »
    Fairview motors have an ioniq:

There seems to be more availability, including models from UK, must be the kona effect, also talk of a larger battery ioniq by end of 2019 (38kwh vs 28kwh) which would encourage dealers to sell off display models.

Prices are a bit high for my liking compared to brand new, especially brand new with scrappage of around 26k

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,236 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

I also know of a friend who has a black Ioniq and has a Kona coming in the next couple of months, and will be selling the Ioniq.

They can be got, just severely difficult to find ones exactly in the spec you want. And especially as not white.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 761 ✭✭✭p15574

Hyundai Stillorgan and Fairview not doing scrappage either

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,558 ✭✭✭✭yabadabado

p15574 wrote: »

I suppose all you can do if make contact with the other Hyundai dealers and go with one who will do scrappage.

Vote with your feet.

p15574 wrote: »

Try Hutton and Meade, got mine there with scrappage

• Registered Users Posts: 1,122 ✭✭✭BigAl81

Does anyone else keep their keys in a faraday cage / anti theft pouch?

I see a good few Leafs in Ireland being stolen by boosting the keyless entry signal.

I don't think the Ioniq has been hacked yet, but I sleep better knowing the keys are safe in the pouch!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,553 ✭✭✭Fiery mutant

Yeah I use a faraday cage. It would kill me to wake up in the morning and find the Ioniq gone.

We should defend our way of life to an extent that any attempt on it is crushed, so that any adversary will never make such an attempt in the future.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,269 ✭✭✭deegs

Ordered before my ioniq came. Fantastic kit, personally I feel they should come free with the car.... hardly gonna break the bank

2 Pcs Car Key Signal Blocker Cases, Pure Leather Signal Blocker, Faraday Bag for Keyless Fobs Entry Guard, Car Key Signal Blocker Pouch with 2Pcs Secure Signal Blocker RFID Credit Card Protector https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B07JPXMK5H/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_i_cfHsCbMBDWNQ2

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,122 ✭✭✭BigAl81

Ok, maybe I'm not as paranoid as I thought so ;)

Has anyone heard of an Ioniq actually being stolen this way?

If there has been a theft like this, if your in the shop or a restaurant with the car parked outside we should probably shield they keys too??

• Registered Users Posts: 1,238 ✭✭✭Orebro

I’ve said it before, but if it’s a choice between scumbags coming into the house where my kids are sleeping or them robbing the car while still outside then let them take it I say - insurance is purchased for a reason.

I thought one of the advantages of having an Ioniq is that no one would want to steal it ? :p:D

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 8,061 Mod ✭✭✭✭liamog

I thought one of the advantages of having an Ioniq is that no one would want to steal it ? :p:D

Theory confirmed, Mad_Lad is the one stealing all the Nissan Leafs in a bid to free up charging infrastructure.

Yes I want to give them generators so they don't have to wait at chargers lol.

Call it the Nissan ReLeaf!

• Advertisement

Had a brief test drive this evening and it's amazing how all my reservations about range and public chargers that have been swirling around my head the last few weeks disappeared once I was sitting in the car!

So you liked it then :D

Hope you only drove in sport mode!

So you liked it then :D

Hope you only drove in sport mode!

Of course :p...the speed of the mark felt fantastic. The amount of controls and gadgets is mighty overwhelming though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,546 ✭✭✭denismc

Mickeroo wrote: »
    Of course :p...the speed of the mark felt fantastic. The amount of controls and gadgets is mighty overwhelming though.

Yes, when you get in the car first, the start up sequence is like something out of Star Trek, all the beeps and tones get annoying especially when you have 2 small kids trying to sleep in the back, It would be great if you could turn off all the chimes when the car starts.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,111 ✭✭✭✭listermint

Orebro wrote: »
    I’ve said it before, but if it’s a choice between scumbags coming into the house where my kids are sleeping or them robbing the car while still outside then let them take it I say - insurance is purchased for a reason.

Any reports of people coming into homes with kettles for ioniq keys.....

Or would be thief's realise the keys can't be detected and simply walk off.

.I'm thinking the latter

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,975 ✭✭✭nkay1985

Hi all. Going to be changing my car sometime in the next 6 months and always said I'd consider electric the next time I was changing so dipping my toe in the water at the moment. My current car is a 161 Seat Leon FR shop, if I was buying bg a new one of those, I'd be looking at around the €28k mark. This seems to put me in and around the range for a Leaf or an Ionic. Can anybody who decided to go for an Ionic outline any of the main reasons for choosing one over the likes of a Leaf?

Would appreciate any insight from somebody who's been through it all!

Thanks.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,819 ✭✭✭Silent Running

Around this time last year I was waiting to get an extended drive in the Leaf and was then going to decide between that and the Ioniq. Then the battery heating issue came to light, thanks to DrPhilG.

I need a car to do multiple rapid charges in one day, so that ruled out the Leaf. I then went full bore for the Ioniq and was in the process of buying one in the UK when one came up new here, so I went after it instead.

I'm glad I made the decision that I did as, in my opinion, the Ioniq is the better car.

nkay1985 wrote: »
    Hi all. Going to be changing my car sometime in the next 6 months and always said I'd consider electric the next time I was changing so dipping my toe in the water at the moment. My current car is a 161 Seat Leon FR shop, if I was buying bg a new one of those, I'd be looking at around the €28k mark. This seems to put me in and around the range for a Leaf or an Ionic. Can anybody who decided to go for an Ionic outline any of the main reasons for choosing one over the likes of a Leaf?

Thanks.

• CCS charging (it's the future, chademo is a dead standard in EU)

• Faster DC charging 70kW vs 45kW in the leaf, meaning I can charge from 10% to 94% in approx 30 minutes on the current ESB units, and faster again on the higher speed ones. Leaf will take much longer to charge
    • I had a previous leaf before my Ioniq and the degradation was shocking due to no active thermal management (essentially the battery cooked itself, and I sold it with 10% degradation)
    • Better motorway efficiency.

If you want an EV to pootle around town and do some 80 km/h driving then there's not much between them and arguably the leaf is better especially if you never exceed the range of the car. But if you want to drive on the motorway and rapid charge at a better speed without risking battery degradation then the Ioniq is the better bet.

I think the new ESB 150 Kw chargers will support 100 Kw ChaDeMo as was in their tender for the chargers ?

ChaDeMo isn't dead yet.

And this time around a ChaDeMo car will be able to charge at the same time as a CCS car with load balancing of course.

I think the new ESB 150 Kw chargers will support 100 Kw ChaDeMo as was in their tender for the chargers ?

ChaDeMo isn't dead yet.

And this time around a ChaDeMo car will be able to charge at the same time as a CCS car with load balancing of course.
    Not without chademo 2 standard they won't
    Current chademo protocol maxes out at 125a*500v=62.5kW.

Go test drive both cars, see which you like most and on which you can get the better deal. Both are excellent EVs, both should be very reliable. The first generation Leaf was very reliable, and Hyundai is the #1 most reliable brand of cars, their cars also come with 5 year bumper to bumper warranties. The main draw back of the Leaf was the #rapidgate issue, which now seems mostly resolved with a software update. Leaf boot is slightly bigger, if you carry double buggies this might make a big difference, make sure you bring car seats, buggies and your whole family for the test drive. Better still get a 24h or 72h test drive.

Some people have got a high spec Ioniq on the road for €25k-€26k. A similar spec Leaf would be at least €5k more. That's a lot of money...

Even though on paper the Leaf has nearly 50% bigger battery, in practice the range is about the same (Leaf better in town, Ioniq better on motorways) because Ioniq has a far more efficient drive train and is much more aerodynamic. Ioniq can charge a lot faster and the charging never slows down under any circumstances as the battery is cooled (unlike Leaf, where driving hard and warm weather have adverse affects on already not great fast charging speeds)

The current public fast charging network is very poor. There is supposed to be investment made into it, but we will have to see how quickly that will be done. Independently, there is the private Ionity superfast charging network coming with multiple CCS chargers per site. Ioniq can charge there, but Leaf can not as it has the obsolete CHAdeMO charging system (only the Leaf uses that, all other EVs going forward use CCS)

And don't rule out the eGolf. On paper it is very expensive, but some people got very good scrappage deals, making it only a touch more expensive than a Leaf (but still a lot more expensive than a scrappage deal on Ioniq)

The eGolf is the best car of these three. It has the best interior, feels more upmarket and is by far the better drivers car. It also just looks like a normal car. And it's a Golf, which is and has always been all cars to all people. It will be reliable and it won't loose much money. It is smaller than the other two, so probably not big enough for a family of five. YMMV, go test drive the eGolf too, to assess its suitability for yourself.

ELM327 wrote: »
    • CCS charging (it's the future, chademo is a dead standard in EU)

• Faster DC charging 70kW vs 45kW in the leaf, meaning I can charge from 10% to 94% in approx 30 minutes on the current ESB units, and faster again on the higher speed ones. Leaf will take much longer to charge
    • I had a previous leaf before my Ioniq and the degradation was shocking due to no active thermal management (essentially the battery cooked itself, and I sold it with 10% degradation)
    • Better motorway efficiency.

If you want an EV to pootle around town and do some 80 km/h driving then there's not much between them and arguably the leaf is better especially if you never exceed the range of the car. But if you want to drive on the motorway and rapid charge at a better speed without risking battery degradation then the Ioniq is the better bet.

Do you need to be charging at a 60 to 70 kw capable charger to get 10 to 94 precent in 30 mins .

And if so what is the charge time on a 50 kw charger.

Old diesel wrote: »
    Do you need to be charging at a 60 to 70 kw capable charger to get 10 to 94 precent in 30 mins .

And if so what is the charge time on a 50 kw charger.
    No that's on a 50kW charger, I've never charged on anything abouve that.

Reports online suggest 22-24 minutes

20%-80% on an Ionity charger takes 15 minutes

After 80% you get tapering (charging speed slowing down), so you shouldn't really be hogging up fast chargers (and wasting your time)

• Advertisement

No that's on a 50kW charger, I've never charged on anything abouve that.

Reports online suggest 22-24 minutes

Thats very impressive

90 mins in a day charging at different stops will be enough for 350 miles.*

Makes for a very usable car if the charging infrastructure was up to the mark

20%-80% on an Ionity charger takes 15 minutes

After 80% you get tapering (charging speed slowing down), so you shouldn't really be hogging up fast chargers (and wasting your time)

When there is ubiquitous charging coverage and multiple points per site (assuming we're then paying by the minute, as they do in Norway), I'd not suggest charging past 77% or 82% (these are the two steps down in the Ioniq).
    As it is now, I have to charge for 30 minutes to 94% as I don't know if the next 1 charger stall is in use, offline, blocked etc.

When there is ubiquitous charging coverage and multiple points per site (assuming we're then paying by the minute, as they do in Norway), I'd not suggest charging past 77% or 82% (these are the two steps down in the Ioniq).
    As it is now, I have to charge for 30 minutes to 94% as I don't know if the next 1 charger stall is in use, offline, blocked etc.

30 mins isn't exactly excessive imo.

For the person waiting - he or she should be okay if you discuss the situation properly with him or her.

Explain that you need to get the full 94 percent and you will be 10 minutes or whatever.

Explain you are on a long trip to Dublin etc.

The worst part for the driver behind you is not knowing how long the other person will be.

If the other person is very stuck you can always try to be helpful.

You cant help them if you don't know their situation or urgency

30 mins isn't exactly excessive imo.

For the person waiting - he or she should be okay if you discuss the situation properly with him or her.

Explain that you need to get the full 94 percent and you will be 10 minutes or whatever.

Explain you are on a long trip to Dublin etc.

The worst part for the driver behind you is not knowing how long the other person will be.

If the other person is very stuck you can always try to be helpful.

You cant help them if you don't know their situation or urgency

Ah yes, bar the first few minutes (buying coffee etc) I'm generally sitting in the car with the dash showing "time remaining to 94%" so I can show anyone how long I'll be.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 19,197 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

nkay1985 wrote: »

Thanks.

Leaf boot is slightly bigger

Some people have got a high spec Ioniq on the road for €25k-€26k. A similar spec Leaf would be at least €5k more. That's a lot of money...

Leaf better in town, Ioniq better on motorways

If you will be charging at home (which a lot of us do predominately) or work, then the charge rate out and about becomes irrelevant so you need another factor to make your decision which is actually a good thing because the current infrastructure is not fit for purpose (covered many times over across multiple threads here).

This leads to Unkel's post which I've clipped back above.

Do it, you won't regret it, our Leaf30 is not coming up to 3years old, never missed a beat and over 97% battery state of health

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,081 ✭✭✭fricatus

Ah yes, bar the first few minutes (buying coffee etc) I'm generally sitting in the car with the dash showing "time remaining to 94%" so I can show anyone how long I'll be.

How do you do that? Do you power the car on at the charger and go into one of the menus? I'm always afraid to do that in case it runs down the 12V battery (while the high-voltage one is happily filling...)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,496 ✭✭✭irishgrover

fricatus wrote: »
    How do you do that? Do you power the car on at the charger and go into one of the menus? I'm always afraid to do that in case it runs down the 12V battery (while the high-voltage one is happily filling...)

I *think* that if you open the door when charging it will pop up on the display

fricatus wrote: »
    If I'm sitting in the car, the Ioniq defaults to show "time remaining" while charging. On DC the car stops at 94% so the time remaining shows as time remaining to 94.

I would normally have the car on, heated seats and heater or AC on, radio or spotify etc. It's a very handy feature to show someone as it shows to the minute (pretty accurate as I've experienced) how long I'll be. I find people don't argue when they can actually see a number of minutes.

Yes, or if the car is switched on the display switches (and keeps switching) to time remaining.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,081 ✭✭✭fricatus

I would normally have the car on, heated seats and heater or AC on, radio or spotify etc. It's a very handy feature to show someone as it shows to the minute (pretty accurate as I've experienced) how long I'll be. I find people don't argue when they can actually see a number of minutes.

When you say "on", you mean you've hit the Start button once or twice, right? IIRC it cycles through a yellow light on the button, and also a blue one (not sure what order) and then off. Would you happen to know what colour light you have on while charging? As I understand it, one of those modes can allow you to drain the 12V battery quickly, whereas the other allows you to use all the equipment, just like when driving, because it pulls from the big battery.

Hehe, yeah, that's what I've been doing all along. There has to be a better way! :D

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement