Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Hyundai Ioniq 28kWh

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 65,741 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

fricatus wrote: »
    When you say "on", you mean you've hit the Start button once or twice, right? IIRC it cycles through a yellow light on the button, and also a blue one (not sure what order) and then off. Would you happen to know what colour light you have on while charging? As I understand it, one of those modes can allow you to drain the 12V battery quickly, whereas the other allows you to use all the equipment, just like when driving, because it pulls from the big battery.

I'd say you're quite right there. My daughter was left in the car the other day in the Tesco car park and she was running the heating on full for about 20 minutes (with the car not fully switched on) and my wife had great difficulty getting the car started after that, I was already on my way to them, when she reported she got
    it going

Case of 12V battery nearly drained to the point of stranding the car :eek:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,236 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

fricatus wrote: »
    When you say "on", you mean you've hit the Start button once or twice, right? IIRC it cycles through a yellow light on the button, and also a blue one (not sure what order) and then off. Would you happen to know what colour light you have on while charging? As I understand it, one of those modes can allow you to drain the 12V battery quickly, whereas the other allows you to use all the equipment, just like when driving, because it pulls from the big battery.

Hehe, yeah, that's what I've been doing all along. There has to be a better way! :D

Just switch the car on as if you're going to drive (foot on brake and press power button) you'll get an alert that you are plugged in. That's what I do.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,887 ✭✭✭zg3409

In relation to leaving car on, make sure green arrow is on display if leaving radio on while parked etc.

In terms of ioniq 28kwh vs leaf 40kwh. The leaf 60kwh will be on sale in a few months possibly for not much extra, the ioniq 38kwh may be on sale by end of the year.

Ioniq is CCS vs Chademo on leaf. There is currently more chademo out there now, but more CCS in the next year. Ioniq charges much faster, but lots of CCS charger faults about and not fixed as quickly or easily as chademo.

You really need to list your daily commute in km, along with weekend and long distance trips and your county to see if infrastructure and trips match the car.

The leaf has bigger boot, more comfortable seat. Ioniq is better on motorway range, and has many bells and whistles as standard such as adaptive cruise control.

Ioniq does not have an app for remote preheat, leaf does. 2020 ioniq/kona may have this. I find the timed preheat OK in mornings on commute. Leaf has more availability, but rarity is keeping ioniq sale prices high.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 8,061 Mod ✭✭✭✭liamog

zg3409 wrote: »
    Ioniq is CCS vs Chademo on leaf. There is currently more chademo out there now, but more CCS in the next year. Ioniq charges much faster, but lots of CCS charger faults about and not fixed as quickly or easily as chademo.

eCars Ireland only have 8 chargers left without CCS, though there is still the Nissan dealers to give CHAdeMO an advantage, and so far I've not seen evidence of replacement by eCar NI.

We've now got 4 standards, FastAC, Tesla Supercharger, CHAdeMO, and CCS.
    Renault and Tesla are switching to CCS we'll be left CHAdeMO and CCS, with only Nissan showing any sign of commitment to CHAdeMO.

Longer term CCS is the safer bet, but you should be good for at least this round of infrastucture.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 381 ✭✭sean72

Hi All can my fellow Ioniq owners tell me if the LED light above the type 2 port has always been there or is it new for the 2019 model?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,819 ✭✭✭Silent Running

sean72 wrote: »
    Hi All can my fellow Ioniq owners tell me if the LED light above the type 2 port has always been there or is it new for the 2019 model?

It's there on my March 2018.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,496 ✭✭✭irishgrover

It's there on my March 2018.

Also on my Jan 2018 UK premium SE. Although to be honest, until I saw it mentioned on this thread and physically went to look for it, I would have sworn that I did not have one

Also on my Jan 2018 UK premium SE. Although to be honest, until I saw it mentioned on this thread and physically went to look for it, I would have sworn that I did not have one

I only know my one is there because of a charger in a pitch dark car park in Carmarthen, Wales. :p

sean72 wrote: »
    It's on my 171

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,975 ✭✭✭nkay1985

Thanks for all the posts guys. My commute is literally 11km one way. That can get up to 20/30km if I'm not going straight home but it's a tiny distance either way. I'll have the option of charging in work and I live in the suburbs of Waterford city so I'm not too badly off in terms of charging etc.

I'd be down to Cork and up to Dublin maybe a total of 6-8 times a year but we do have a second car - a 2010 1.6 diesel Citroen C5 - so even that wouldn't be a limiting factor if I didn't want to take EV.

How big of a negative point do you guys view the Leaf not changing to CCS charging? I'm a complete novice but it would seem to be a pretty big deal to me.

My current plan is to try the Leaf, Ioniq and e-Golf (even though I've always found Golfs to be the most overpriced, unimaginative cars around!) and see what I think. Take a look at all of the figures and weigh it all up.

I think I'm pretty much an ideal candidate for an EV so it would probably be a shame not to take the opportunity.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,926 ✭✭✭Soarer

nkay1985 wrote: »
    Thanks for all the posts guys. My commute is literally 11km one way. That can get up to 20/30km if I'm not going straight home but it's a tiny distance either way. I'll have the option of charging in work and I live in the suburbs of Waterford city so I'm not too badly off in terms of charging etc.

I'd be down to Cork and up to Dublin maybe a total of 6-8 times a year but we do have a second car - a 2010 1.6 diesel Citroen C5 - so even that wouldn't be a limiting factor if I didn't want to take EV.

How big of a negative point do you guys view the Leaf not changing to CCS charging? I'm a complete novice but it would seem to be a pretty big deal to me.

My current plan is to try the Leaf, Ioniq and e-Golf (even though I've always found Golfs to be the most overpriced, unimaginative cars around!) and see what I think. Take a look at all of the figures and weigh it all up.

I think I'm pretty much an ideal candidate for an EV so it would probably be a shame not to take the opportunity.

For that sort of situation, I’d not be spending €20k+ on any EV.
    I’d get a ‘14 Leaf for handy money, and suck it up in the C5 for the longer journeys if you didn’t want to trust the charging network.

Got to agree with Soarer there. If you're planning to keep the C5 anyway, a €9k or so 2014 Leaf will do nicely, will be very reliable, will cost peanuts to run and will loose very little money over the next few years.

The thing is that I'm coming to the end of a three year PCP with my current Leon so have to do something. Would normally be planning on just rolling onto another new Leon or whatever but am thinking of the EV instead. I could of course just get a loan, buy out the remainder of my Leon, sell it privately and then get a used EV.

The thing is that I'm coming to the end of a three year PCP with my current Leon so have to do something. Would normally be planning on just rolling onto another new Leon or whatever but am thinking of the EV instead. I could of course just get a loan, buy out the remainder of my Leon, sell it privately and then get a used EV.

A cheap used EV (read: Leaf) might give you the opportunity to break the chain of buying brand new cars (that you don't need and that you barely use) on credit every 3 years and free up money for the more important and nicer things in life :)

unkel wrote: »
    A cheap used EV (read: Leaf) might give you the opportunity to break the chain of buying brand new cars (that you don't need and that you barely use) on credit every 3 years and free up money for the more important and nicer things in life :)

Ah yeah it's definitely worth considering at the moment. I do like my lovely brand new car that nobody else has ever had but the main consideration when I started down this route was reliability/warranty - a fixed cost for my motoring with only tyres and wipers to change. This, combined with low interest rates (0% on my current car) made this a reasonable financial decision for my circumstances.

That's obviously far less of an issue with an EV so I'll have to do the numbers on the whole situation.

Thanks for the input.

• Moderators Posts: 12,385 ✭✭✭✭Black_Knight

Having been considering the Ioniq the frontrunner in my EV options, today coming out of work to the car covered in snow (and having learned that the Ioniq doesn't preheat unless plugged in), it might be a feature i'd be infuriated by to have, but not able to use.

It should be up to the user of the car to determine whether they want to trade mileage for preheating.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 19,197 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

Remote preheating is an absolute joy

slave1 wrote: »
    Remote preheating is an absolute joy

Leaf owner I assume?

I was fairly disappointed when I heard the Ioniq only allows you to schedule it (I could even live with that), but only when plugged in. :confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 369 ✭✭thelikelylad

Having been considering the Ioniq the frontrunner in my EV options, today coming out of work to the car covered in snow (and having learned that the Ioniq doesn't preheat unless plugged in), it might be a feature i'd be infuriated by to have, but not able to use.

It should be up to the user of the car to determine whether they want to trade mileage for preheating.

Yeah it's crazy that you can't preheat without being plugged in. There should be some option to enable preheating when SOC is >50% or something.

What's worse is they didn't fix this with the Kona/e-Niro :(

Yeah it's crazy that you can't preheat without being plugged in. There should be some option to enable preheating when SOC is >50% or something.

What's worse is they didn't fix this with the Kona/e-Niro :(

I can understand the concern that if you have a schedule set, it's quite fixed, and not smart. It could stupidly everyday kicks in, heat your car a bit, drain the battery and then you eventually come hop in the car only to see battery is empty. A simple fix/solution would be if they'd allow you to set a tolerance that would stop the heater kicking in when the battery is below a certain %.

Shame they fell a bit short. It's a really nice feature to have, but this half baked solution could be more frustrating than anything. Predicting numerous "God I wish I could of remotely heated/cooled the car before I got into it" moments.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,292 ✭✭✭MightyMunster

Coming from an old golf I'm amazed at how quickly it heats up when you get in. Old car would take 10mins for hot air to start coming out. Don't plug in every night as only doing 50km a day and hasn't bothered me so far.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,136 ✭✭✭✭KCross

I can understand the concern that if you have a schedule set, it's quite fixed, and not smart. It could stupidly everyday kicks in, heat your car a bit, drain the battery and then you eventually come hop in the car only to see battery is empty. A simple fix/solution would be if they'd allow you to set a tolerance that would stop the heater kicking in when the battery is below a certain %.

Shame they fell a bit short. It's a really nice feature to have, but this half baked solution could be more frustrating than anything. Predicting numerous "God I wish I could of remotely heated/cooled the car before I got into it" moments.

The Leaf limits pre-heating to 15mins if its not plugged in. If its plugged in it heats at full tilt.

I think it also has a fail-safe of not coming on below a particular percentage but I'm not 100% sure of that.

Its a great feature for sure. Many a happy Leaf owner over the next week I'd say while all the others are out with their scrapers and freezing steering wheels! :D

Coming from an old golf I'm amazed at how quickly it heats up when you get in. Old car would take 10mins for hot air to start coming out. Don't plug in every night as only doing 50km a day and hasn't bothered me so far.

Yeah it has a 7kW heat pump. Which is ridiculous for the few cubic meters that is the inside of the car, but it heats it up within a minute :D

Also, unlike ICE car, you can switch the car on, and walk away with the keys in your pocket. And not worry about the car being stolen and NOT covered by insurance. Happened to hundreds of cars in the frost last year.

Don't plug in the car myself every day either, as the range even in winter is 200km and my average is not even quarter of that (less than 50km * 365 days, which is 18k km per year)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,546 ✭✭✭denismc

What did people do before pre-heating, 360 degree cameras, heated seats, ACC etc?
    I think there is definitely a gap in the market for a no bells and whistles EV, just wait till Dacia start producing EVs.:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 369 ✭✭thelikelylad

denismc wrote: »
    What did people do before pre-heating, 360 degree cameras, heated seats, ACC etc?
    I think there is definitely a gap in the market for a no bells and whistles EV, just wait till Dacia start producing EVs.:D

Don't give Hyundai Ireland any more ideas. :rolleyes:

denismc wrote: »

Shure why do we need synchromesh. A real man knows how to change gear without it, surely? :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,268 ✭✭✭✭uck51js9zml2yt

unkel wrote: »
    Shure why do we need synchromesh. A real man knows how to change gear without it, surely? :p

There is something to change gears?? Wow. I wondered why the lever was with the numbers )

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,406 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

How long does it generally take for the grant at the dealership to come through?

There is something to change gears?? Wow. I wondered why the lever was with the numbers )

In the 'olden' days it was quite a challenge for many to match the engine speed with the final drive speed. If you didn't do that there was a noisy grinding of gears. Like most things, it's automatically done now. Young 'uns don't know how good they have it.

Makes me laugh when I hear people saying that driving an auto car takes the driving out of it. Most wouldn't know what a technical skill driving once was. I'm old enough to remember cars that came with a starting handle. :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,512 ✭✭✭OffalyMedic

Was on to a dealer this morning who said ioniqs are sold by hyundai Ireland not the dealers per say and there are no electric available only plug-in hybrids in black or white. Anyone hear different from another dealer?

Was on to a dealer this morning who said ioniqs are sold by hyundai Ireland not the dealers per say and there are no electric available only plug-in hybrids in black or white. Anyone hear different from another dealer?

There are a few 191 (new) advertised on Donedeal, I presume Carzone also.

Many Hundai dealers don't know what they are talking about when it comes to the Ioniq EV. If you are keen to get one, contact ALL Hyundai dealers. There are some out there that will engage with you.

unkel wrote:
    Many Hundai dealers don't know what they are talking about when it comes to the Ioniq EV. If you are keen to get one, contact ALL Hyundai dealers. There are some out there that will engage with you.

Thanks I might just do that so today. I'm awful at talking to dealers any tips or questions I should be asking?

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 8,061 Mod ✭✭✭✭liamog

I'd start with the dealers who are at least advertising Ioniqs
    https://www.carzone.ie/search/result/cars/make/hyundai/model/ioniq/fuel-type/electric

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,406 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

Galway and castlebar were both very enthusiastic when I first rang them and both offer scrappage.

• Advertisement

Mickeroo wrote: »
    Galway and castlebar were both very enthusiastic when I first rang them and both offer scrappage.

Can I ask were they particular about the rules for the scrappage? I know of someone who bought a Leaf in 2015, that apparently drove a banger that belonged to their brother-in-law, no NCT, not even sure if it was taxed and they got the €4k/€5k scrappage, or whatever it was at the time.

Can I ask were they particular about the rules for the scrappage? I know of someone who bought a Leaf in 2015, that apparently drove a banger that belonged to their brother-in-law, no NCT, not even sure if it was taxed and they got the €4k/€5k scrappage, or whatever it was at the time.

No they seemed pretty blase about it, now I haven't gone through with the deal yet or anything but as long as it was running and I have the logbook they didn't seem to care too much about anything else.

All the dealers are different. Many don't want anything to do with scrappage, some follow the very strict rules from Hyundai Ireland (who are picking up the bill for this scrappage offer), some just don't care as long as you have a car and paperwork and some even sell you a banger for €50 that you can use :D

I'm starting to sound like a broken record here, but if you want a new Ioniq EV (on scrappage), contact them all...

As I said on another thread I know of a black one coming up for sale soon from a friend of mine who is getting a Kona in the near future.
    2017 though.

Would be very interested to see what a 2017 Ioniq EV makes in a private sale. I guess about 23k? As I'm sure you would too. Keep us updated on that one ELM427!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 625 ✭✭✭mr chips

Since the EV bargains thread is currently closed, I thought I'd post this here. I'm not in the market, but in case someone else is ...
    https://www.gumtree.com/p/hyundai/2016-hyundai-ioniq-se-hatchback-electric/1327438959
    Advertised as an electric, but on looking at the photos and description it's a hybrid. Anyway, 2016 Ioniq in Wales for stg£13.5k - not sure whether that's a good price for a hybrid?

mr chips wrote: »
    Since the EV bargains thread is currently closed, I thought I'd post this here. I'm not in the market, but in case someone else is ...
    https://www.gumtree.com/p/hyundai/2016-hyundai-ioniq-se-hatchback-electric/1327438959
    Advertised as an electric, but on looking at the photos and description it's a hybrid. Anyway, 2016 Ioniq in Wales for stg£13.5k - not sure whether that's a good price for a hybrid?

It's electric, and more. :D:D

mr chips wrote: »

Self-charging Ioniq!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,558 ✭✭✭✭yabadabado

Some mentioned they had a xls file to work out savings etc of buying a EV.

Anyone get it and willing to forward it on ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,268 ✭✭✭✭uck51js9zml2yt

In the 'olden' days it was quite a challenge for many to match the engine speed with the final drive speed. If you didn't do that there was a noisy grinding of gears. Like most things, it's automatically done now. Young 'uns don't know how good they have it.

Makes me laugh when I hear people saying that driving an auto car takes the driving out of it. Most wouldn't know what a technical skill driving once was. I'm old enough to remember cars that came with a starting handle. :D

I remember cars with chokes.

yabadabado wrote: »

https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=109259320&postcount=1

yabadabado wrote: »

I put my own together, but it's probably a bit basic. I can share that (and update it if people have thoughts on other factors to consider)

EDIT: I see the link above. Nvm

Going ringing someone later about a second hand ioniq 2018. is there any specific questions i should be asking?

Going ringing someone later about a second hand ioniq 2018. is there any specific questions i should be asking?

Well I'd start with €26k scrappage new and use that as a bargaining tool

slave1 wrote:
    Well I'd start with €26k scrappage new and use that as a bargaining tool

What would u think a 2018 should be got for so? 23k?

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement