Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Hyundai Ioniq 28kWh

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 65,741 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

Our driveway has limited accessibility, and opens up onto a mail road. As such we always reverse in. The Ioniq charging port being at the back of the car helps reduce the need for a longer cable, but on the off chance that A) I look at the Kona or Niro, or B) Upgrade in a few years, i'd need a longer cable... Up to 10 Meters perhaps.

You can always get an untethered charger and buy an appropriate length cable separately and leave it permanently plugged in. So effectively you still have the convenience of the tethered charger but also the flexibility of having a long cable (that you can change yourself if you have to). That's what I have. I have a custom made 15m type 2 cable bought from electricautos.ie (long driveway)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,404 ✭✭✭peposhi

zg3409 wrote: »
    Other things for ioniq make sure you get both types of charging cables, type 2 with big plug on both ends and granny cable with household plug on one end. Otherwise you are looking another few hundred each.

Ask any ioniq specific questions on this thread.
    Learn all the bells and whistles of the car such as adaptive cruise control and their limitations. Constant beeping means you need to take over braking!

To disconnect charge cable while charging you need to press unlock on cars remote.

General new EV advice, apply for home charger grant before you get car, get quotes for charge point but any work must be dated AFTER grant is approved. Apply for public charging card from esb ecars, download apps esb ecars, zapmap and plugshare and filter for CCS only fast chargers and learn where they are.

Never assume first charger will work or be free, always plan on one or two other fast chargers in range.

Also join Facebook groups

Irish EV owners
    Irish EV owners association
    For charger outages, and info, and to abuse others.

An update...
    She decided that she wanted a new one since the price difference was not so much, as she described it, so she’s ordered a new one in grey (said it’s quite different and much better looking compared to the silver one) and also ordered leather seats... now that got me confused... I thought you could not order this option in Ireland... anyway... the good thing is - a brand spanking new EV soon to be on the road in 6/8 weeks so she was told...
    She’s gotten a permission from the landlord to install a charger so slowly but surely it’s getting there for her...

What new EV are you ordering, peposhi and do you want to share what deal you made?

unkel wrote: »
    What new EV are you ordering, peposhi and do you want to share what deal you made?

Hahaha, this is not me (yet) :)

I would have said so lol

It is a colleague of mine that kinda got fed up listening to her husband and me re EVs and after spending another lump sum on maintaining the Audi-zilla A6 she gave a green light to a change. She did try the Kona too and liked the range, not the car. Said it’s too tight inside and absolutely hated the dash :)

• Moderators Posts: 12,385 ✭✭✭✭Black_Knight

Called into Hyundai this afternoon. Didn't have time to test drive anything, but had a good poke around the Kona while waiting to get into a solid ioniq.

Kona IMO, meh. Very "Hyundai" cheap looking in the front, for a 40k (50k) car. None of the trim made it feel special. It felt very "Paddy spec" as they say. One look at the boot and I was out. Certainly wouldn't fit our buggy so that's a no go.

Eventually on to the ioniq. Looked great (white) with the gold/brass trim (not sure if that's standard but I never noticed it before). Interior looked a lot more modern and "futurey". Decent looking boot space too. I didn't have long to hang around but asked about a test drive some other day and was told there's no more ioniqs to test drive. Asked about a 24hr test drive at some stage and got a crystal clear no, they do not do that. Kinda turned me off them(dealer) there and then.

Am I right in thinking there's zero difference in spec between 171-191 ioniqs, only paint and interior trim? Kinda has me leaning towards a 2nd hand one if that's the case.

Called into Hyundai this afternoon. Didn't have time to test drive anything, but had a good poke around the Kona while waiting to get into a solid ioniq.

Kona IMO, meh. Very "Hyundai" cheap looking in the front, for a 40k (50k) car. None of the trim made it feel special. It felt very "Paddy spec" as they say. One look at the boot and I was out. Certainly wouldn't fit our buggy so that's a no go.

Eventually on to the ioniq. Looked great (white) with the gold/brass trim (not sure if that's standard but I never noticed it before). Interior looked a lot more modern and "futurey". Decent looking boot space too. I didn't have long to hang around but asked about a test drive some other day and was told there's no more ioniqs to test drive. Asked about a 24hr test drive at some stage and got a crystal clear no, they do not do that. Kinda turned me off them(dealer) there and then.

Am I right in thinking there's zero difference in spec between 171-191 ioniqs, only paint and interior trim? Kinda has me leaning towards a 2nd hand one if that's the case.

Zero difference!
    Get yourself a 171 Ioniq and you won’t regret. If the seller is rushing, you may get it for like 4-8k cheaper than new...
    A few people on here are selling...

Not zero difference. For one, the 2019 model has a heated steering wheel.

You either have to contact all Hyundai dealers Black_Night to negotiate a good (scrappage) deal on a new one (I sound like a broken record, but that's the only way when buying new. It was the same 2 years ago and it's the same now) or get a second hand one. One poster in here got a 181 (white?) for 23k, that was a very good deal

You should have your pick of a few metallic coloured 171 cars for around the 23k mark too. Or bring one in from the UK for about that same money (but you might get a Premium SE - higher spec - if you're patient)

Not zero difference. For one, the 2019 model has a heated steering wheel.

Did the heated steering wheel only come in in 2019? That's a pity, i've never had one, but my icey hands want it.
    You either have to contact all Hyundai dealers Black_Night to negotiate a good (scrappage) deal on a new one (I sound like a broken record, but that's the only way when buying new. It was the same 2 years ago and it's the same now) or get a second hand one. One poster in here got a 181 (white?) for 23k, that was a very good deal

You should have your pick of a few metallic coloured 171 cars for around the 23k mark too. Or bring one in from the UK for about that same money (but you might get a Premium SE - higher spec - if you're patient)

I don't really have a car to scrap though. My car is probably worth around 6k.

As for contacting all the dealers, how does that work? Get a deal over the phone for the spec(colour) I want, and travel to wherever to collect it when it's ready (im in Cork so the closest 3 Hyundai dealers are all Kearys who said they don't offer 24hr test drives)? Is there really any point if I don't have a car that makes sense to scrap?

That 181 for 23k was black. That was a nice deal alright.

You need to read a few more pages of this thread :)

Some people were offered the use of junk cars that were in the dealers yard, just so they could avail of the scrappage scheme. Some dealers really couldn't care if you just bought a €50 "company car" off a dubious seller of no fixed abode :D And some dealers do not do scrappage at all.

I contacted all 30 Hyundai dealers myself first thing in the morning (by email) and I spent the whole day communicating / negotiating and I bought my car at about 7PM and put a deposit down by card. That was 2 years ago this month.

That said, if I couldn't get the scrappage, so an Ioniq would cost me the guts of €30k on the road including metallic paint, I would seriously think about going second hand. That 181 for €23k was a cracker of a deal, not sure if you can match that. Even the 171 cars at €23k are a decent proposition (compared with a €30k new Ioniq. Not obviously with a €26k Ioniq scrappage deal)

And if you are spending €30k, that's also Leaf and even almost eGolf territory and only a few grand short of an i3. In that case consider all those as well (and even Kona / eNiro)

Did the heated steering wheel only come in in 2019? That's a pity, i've never had one, but my icey hands want it.

I don't really have a car to scrap though. My car is probably worth around 6k.

As for contacting all the dealers, how does that work? Get a deal over the phone for the spec(colour) I want, and travel to wherever to collect it when it's ready (im in Cork so the closest 3 Hyundai dealers are all Kearys who said they don't offer 24hr test drives)? Is there really any point if I don't have a car that makes sense to scrap?

That 181 for 23k was black. That was a nice deal alright.

Are you really keen on the Ioniq?
    None of the rest €30k cars look appealing? There’s an eGolf for a cracking €28k for sale, from a reputable dealer.

• Advertisement

You need to read a few more pages of this thread :)

Some people were offered the use of junk cars that were in the dealers yard, just so they could avail of the scrappage scheme. Some dealers really couldn't care if you just bought a €50 "company car" off a dubious seller of no fixed abode :D And some dealers do not do scrappage at all.

I contacted all 30 Hyundai dealers myself first thing in the morning (by email) and I spend the whole day communicating / negotiating and I bought my car at about 7PM and put a deposit down by card. That was 2 years ago this month.

That said, if I couldn't get the scrappage, so an Ioniq would cost me the guts of €30k on the road including metallic paint, I would seriously think about going second hand. That 181 for €23k was a cracker of a deal, not sure if you can match that. Even the 171 cars at €23k are a decent proposition (compared with a €30k new Ioniq. Not obviously with a €26k Ioniq scrappage deal)

Fair play. I'll take your advice so. Won't be as quick as you though (i've a mortgage that needs switching (cash back city) and i'd rather do that first before dropping 23-26k on a car). I also mentioned changing the car in May/June to the wife. She replied "2020"? :pac:

I had read whisperings about dealers taking dodgy scrappage deals, but lacked detail on how it actually plays out. Just straight asking "do you do scrappage?", "yes", "I don't have a car to scrap, any suggestions?... like can I buy that car there and scrap it against an ioniq?", "yes"... :) I assume all this was over the phone, rather than the initial email
    Cheers for another push to get myself going with this.

EDIT:
    And if you are spending €30k, that's also Leaf and even almost eGolf territory and only a few grand short of an i3. In that case consider all those as well (and even Kona / eNiro)
    Seen the Kona today, wasn't impressed. eNiro looks delightful, but won't be in budget, and couldn't really be justified given my mileage. Maybe in a few years when I need to upgrade to a 2nd hand one.

30k really isn't my budget. As you say, new Ioniq with scrappage (ie. ~26k) is a stretch I would do, just because 2017/2018 models are ~24k anyways.

peposhi wrote: »
    Are you really keen on the Ioniq?
    None of the rest €30k cars look appealing? There’s an eGolf for a cracking €28k for sale, from a reputable dealer.

Yup. After seeing the Ioniq today i'm a lot happier to pursue it than before.

I'm really in the market for something on the lower side of 25k, but the talk of 191 ioniqs for ~26k is worth the stretch. So 25k Leafs are not really out there from what I see (there's 1 181 for 27k on DD, and don't mention the old styling Leaf). Same thing with eGolfs, just not practical enough to be our main car.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,975 ✭✭✭nkay1985

I had read whisperings about dealers taking dodgy scrappage deals, but lacked detail on how it actually plays out. Just straight asking "do you do scrappage?", "yes", "I don't have a car to scrap, any suggestions?... like can I buy that car there and scrap it against an ioniq?", "yes"... :) I assume all this was over the phone, rather than the initial email

My one conversation on this with a sales person left me with the clear understanding that they weren't picky on the scrappage. He said it had to be in your name.......or the same family name.......or the same address.......or something along these lines 😂. And you had to have it six months......but nobody's going to turn you away if you only had it a couple of months (which I took as buy a banger, get your name on the logbook and you're golden). It's also supposed to have a valid NCT but he just shook his head.

So I think €50 could get you €4k off a new car. It's certainly swinging me towards an Ioniq over a Leaf.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 19,197 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

Let’s hope they are as “flexible” on the 38kWh

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,887 ✭✭✭zg3409

I'm really in the market for something on the lower side of 25k,

https://www.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/2017-premium-5dr-automatic-full-electric-sat-nav/20985798#xtor=EPR-4-%5BsearchAlert%5D-20190207-%5BviewMatchingAd%5D-521001@1

171 for 24k white with body colour front bumper. Reasonable value, but you might be able to knock a bit off. Only put up today.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,236 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

zg3409 wrote: »
    https://www.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/2017-premium-5dr-automatic-full-electric-sat-nav/20985798#xtor=EPR-4-%5BsearchAlert%5D-20190207-%5BviewMatchingAd%5D-521001@1

171 for 24k white with body colour front bumper. Reasonable value, but you might be able to knock a bit off. Only put up today.
    I woudl not trust that dealer, "DRIVE RANGE UP TO 280 KM." :D

• Registered Users Posts: 180 ✭✭cloughy

spoke to a dealer today who confirm that there is no scrappage on Ioniq as of from 1st February, and that is on their website and from Hyundai HO. Not saying you could not get something off in terms of cash discount, as effectively that is what the scrappage was,

cloughy wrote: »
    spoke to a dealer today

You need to speak to all Hyundai dealers. Some might have a different answer.
    ELM327 wrote: »
    I woudl not trust that dealer, "DRIVE RANGE UP TO 280 KM." :D

Real life drive range is up to 433km ;)

Dealer probably just googled it and came across the NEDC range, which was the official range when Ioniq came out.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,496 ✭✭✭irishgrover

FYI... I've had multiple requests for the above. I need to tidy it up a bit, which I hope to do over the weeked.

For those that PM'ed, I'll look at it over the weekend and then share it.

apologies for not doing this sooner - life got in the way....

car calculations_public.xlsx

** Please don't spend €20 or €30 k on a car assuming that the calculations are correct. This helped me look at scenarios.... I'm quite dyslexic and bad a maths, so use your judgement....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,589 ✭✭✭patmac

So I have had my Ioniq a month now, Aurora Silver, looks great with the brown trim, everyone (especially me) is amazed at the car even my extremely sceptical dad, 2800kms on the clock!
    Switched to night rate electricity after getting my home charger in this week, the switch was very easy and done within 24 hours. I set my car to come on at 4am and it is nice and toasty when I leave at 8:20. I zoom to work and back (120kms round trip).
    Pros:
    Saving €50 a week, no servicing, cheap car tax etc.
    No smelly diesel to fill.
    Sport setting, scary at first but brilliant when you get used to it.
    Heated steering wheel is great.
    Heated seats; can get a bit warm on the 3 setting, but if there is no one on the passenger seat stick your coat on it and it’s nice and warm when you leave and also keeps your takeaway warm among other things.
    No keys, touch the door handle to close the car.
    Comfort, space, everything!
    Cons: um,uh, um, nope can’t think of anything, the car has surpassed my expectations, so glad I bit the bullet, sorry I didn’t do it earlier.
    Happy out.

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,406 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

The wait for the grant is killing me :(

Glad you like it patmac :)
    patmac wrote: »
    also keeps your takeaway warm among other things.

Didn't think of that, thanks for the tip :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,589 ✭✭✭patmac

Glad you like it patmac :)

Didn't think of that, thanks for the tip :D

Your welcome, it’s good to be able to give something back having got great advise from yourself and others on here.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,819 ✭✭✭Silent Running

I can't believe I've had to tax the car again. That's the fastest first year in any new car. I guess I'm enjoying it so much the time is going fast.

I'm in Hertfordshire at the moment. The 519km drive here was flawless, comfortable and relaxed, as usual. Anyone that says that the Ioniq shouldn't be taken outside the range of it's battery should really try it sometime. :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,450 ✭✭✭Batesy

I’ve literally never seen an Ionic on the road in any colour other than white.

Lovely looking car but what’s the story with lack of variety?

• Advertisement

Batesy wrote: »
    I’ve literally never seen an Ionic on the road in any colour other than white.

Lovely looking car but what’s the story with lack of variety?

The blue is really nice, the black looks class, especially with the wrapped front grill, the silver... looks dirty :), red one look nice too and there’s a kinda orangey one that’s cool...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,450 ✭✭✭Batesy

peposhi wrote: »
    The blue is really nice, the black looks class, especially with the wrapped front grill, the silver... looks dirty :), red one look nice too and there’s a kinda orangey one that’s cool...

Just googled images there. The blue and black do indeed look class! Why are there so little out there then. Is it a lot extra for the darker colors?

I think I posted this before, but can't find, here is mine, blue (I imported from UK) with front wrap done locally

472840.jpg

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,406 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

Did you get all the grey trim wrapped too?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,459 ✭✭✭T-b0n3

The wrap looks great, makes a big difference.

Is it expensive to get done?

• Advertisement

T-b0n3 wrote: »
    The wrap looks great, makes a big difference.

Is it expensive to get done?

Mine was €90. Done by a professional who does nothing but wrapping (wraps whole cars and commercial vans) who came recommended by the biggest wrapping materials wholesaler in the country.

Mickeroo wrote: »
    Did you get all the grey trim wrapped too?
    if Q @ me - no, I jost got the grill and lights done - possibly should have got the side and the arse done, but to be honest, they do not bother me. Totaly cost was €90

if Q @ me - no, I jost got the grill and lights done - possibly should have got the side and the arse done, but to be honest, they do not bother me. Totaly cost was €90

Ah right, I just noticed the lights were black too so was wondering if you had gone the whole hog.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,512 ✭✭✭OffalyMedic

unkel wrote:
    Mine was €90. Done by a professional who does nothing but wrapping (wraps whole cars and commercial vans) who came recommended by the biggest wrapping materials wholesaler in the country.
    Could u tell who? Pm if u want rather than on here. Looking to get my new (to me) black car wrapped

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 19,197 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

Not into blue cars but that suits the Ioniq, bronze is my colour of choice

Could u tell who? Pm if u want rather than on here. Looking to get my new (to me) black car wrapped

I mentioned him several times in this thread already, but I guess it's a long thread :p

Mantis 085 788 4875, Sunbury Industrial Estate, lower Ballymount Road

unkel wrote:
    I mentioned him several times in this thread already, but I guess it's a long thread

That it is thanks

Probably worth your while to read through this entire thread as a new owner. Might take an hour or two though :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,553 ✭✭✭Fiery mutant

I emailed Supermacs yesterday, as they are opening a new forecourt and food hall here just outside Kinnegad, and I wanted to know if there would be any charge points.

Got a response today that there will indeed be a fast charge point installed, which is great news. No information though as to capacity as of yet.

We should defend our way of life to an extent that any attempt on it is crushed, so that any adversary will never make such an attempt in the future.

Just over 24hrs into my ioniq ownership (2nd had 181 black) and it's been a mixed bag.

Collected it yesterday (177km range) afternoon and drove it the 70km home with no issues (110km range), enjoyable drive in sports mode. Loved the lane keep assist and adaptive cruise control.

Didnt have charging set up even via granny cable yesterday but didn't mind as knew I had a few bits to do around town this morning and said I'd have a look at how the public charging system is. Drove to charger knowing 1 side was out of order. Swiped card and slot opened and closed again almost immediately. Rang ecars who in their defense were helpful and tried resetting machine but still no luck. They informed me there was a report in over weekend too and they would need to send someone out to fix. Although annoying not the end of the world because I still had fifty odd percentage left and only play was to do a 40km round trip to nearby town where I would try charge using fast charger/CSS depending on availability.

Went over to nearby town and saw they fast charger was free with ioniq plugged into CSS and thought great. It's one of the newer ESB ones with 3 teathered cables (I think). Reversed in and cable wouldn't reach around car, tried driving in and it also wouldn't reach. Gave up and drove home a little disheartened with 2 public charging failures!

Set up granny cable charging at home without an issue but really don't understand how charging cables can't be long enough to reach a car parked in a EV spot at a charger!

Other thoughts on the car are mainly good. Like I said loved the lane keep assist and adaptive cruise control and Android Auto. Coming for a sport, gadget loaded saloon I see very little step back if any compared to ioniq. Mine doesn't have the heated steering which I was disappointed to find out and I miss front parking sensors too but as a whole I'm pretty impressed with the car itself

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,262 ✭✭✭jusmeig

Just over 24hrs into my ioniq ownership (2nd had 181 black) and it's been a mixed bag.

Collected it yesterday (177km range) afternoon and drove it the 70km home with no issues (110km range), enjoyable drive in sports mode. Loved the lane keep assist and adaptive cruise control.

Didnt have charging set up even via granny cable yesterday but didn't mind as knew I had a few bits to do around town this morning and said I'd have a look at how the public charging system is. Drove to charger knowing 1 side was out of order. Swiped card and slot opened and closed again almost immediately. Rang ecars who in their defense were helpful and tried resetting machine but still no luck. They informed me there was a report in over weekend too and they would need to send someone out to fix. Although annoying not the end of the world because I still had fifty odd percentage left and only play was to do a 40km round trip to nearby town where I would try charge using fast charger/CSS depending on availability.

Went over to nearby town and saw they fast charger was free with ioniq plugged into CSS and thought great. It's one of the newer ESB ones with 3 teathered cables (I think). Reversed in and cable wouldn't reach around car, tried driving in and it also wouldn't reach. Gave up and drove home a little disheartened with 2 public charging failures!

Set up granny cable charging at home without an issue but really don't understand how charging cables can't be long enough to reach a car parked in a EV spot at a charger!

Other thoughts on the car are mainly good. Like I said loved the lane keep assist and adaptive cruise control and Android Auto. Coming for a sport, gadget loaded saloon I see very little step back if any compared to ioniq. Mine doesn't have the heated steering which I was disappointed to find out and I miss front parking sensors too but as a whole I'm pretty impressed with the car itself

Is there not 2 spaces at the FCP? If you reverse into the one on the left, the CCS only has a small distance to go to charge port? Never had an issue with cable, but u have to reverse 4 Shure. Once u have a charger at home, you will find u use the network very very little.

jusmeig wrote:
    Is there not 2 spaces at the FCP? If you reverse into the one on the left, the CCS only has a small distance to go to charge port? Never had an issue with cable, but u have to reverse 4 Shure. Once u have a charger at home, you will find u use the network very very little.

Sorry I think I used wrong terms in my original post so to clarify. I was at a FCP there was an ioniq reversed into the LHS using the T2 charger (AC??) So I reversed into the RHS but the cable would lot come from the unit around the back of my boot and into my port.

In all honesty there was a few work men around and I felt like a total newbie and self conscious fiddling with my car charger and like a bit of an idiot (like when you see someone at a filling station park on wrong side of pump and drag it all around the car ) so because I didn't really need to charge and was only doing it for experience I just left

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,227 ✭✭✭Kramer

I was at a FCP............at the RHS but the cable would not reach my port.

Yep, one of the biggest issues with the Ioniq - can only use the left most space of the customary two spots at an FCP. As you've discovered, an otherwise usable FCP, usable by a Kona, Leaf etc. can be inaccessible to an Ioniq.

Longer FCP cables would be a solution but that isn't going to happen.

Congrats on the Ioniq BTW, keep her between the ditches :D.

If the other Ioniq was charging (or any other CCS or CHAdeMO charging car), then you would have had to wait until they finished anyway. Just park beside them and reverse your car into the left spot when they leave. Or do like I do and park horizontally in the two or three spaces to the right of the left spot :D

(I only do this at Lucan, where these spaces are NEVER used by anyone)

I've only fast charged once since last summer. Used to do it regularly as my local fast charger is just round the corner and I would drive right past it several times a day and have stuff to be at there - starbucks, mcdonalds, take aways, supermarket, pharmacy, etc. Can't be bothered now, there is nearly always at least one other car charging these days (Lucan - the busiest FCP in Ireland)

Just charge at home and hope those Ionity chargers will be open soon and that the ESB will start charging heavily for all public chargers, or at least the fast chargers.

Mine doesn't have the heated steering which I was disappointed to find out and I miss front parking sensors too but as a whole I'm pretty impressed with the car itself

Only the 2019 model has that. Front sensors (and leather and heated seats in the rear, blind spot detection and some other stuff) are on the "Premium SE" model that wasn't sold here, but was in the UK

Did you check your car has the latest firmware and maps? go back a few pages in this thread to find out which versions these are

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,227 ✭✭✭Kramer

I've only fast charged once since last summer...................hope..... that the ESB will start charging heavily for all public chargers, or at least the fast chargers.

Evidently, you've no real need to utilise the FCPs.
    Grand so, go ahead & hammer everyone else who might be dependent on, or frequently use, publicly accessible chargers.

I reckon €2 per kWh, €1 per minute & a €20 session charge should guarantee your choice of FCP will be free for you, when you need it, unkel :D.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 100 ✭✭Glen Immal

One of the only issues I had with the ioniq was the location of the charge point at some fast Charger configurations

Other than that I can’t fault it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,887 ✭✭✭zg3409

I would recommend you get a proper 7.2kw home charger as soon as possible. Apply for the home charger grant tonight.

The main downside to EV ownership is the public network is busy and often faulty for months at a time.

Learn to not rely on it and plan multiple options to charge.

Learn about fast chargers and how they work. Typically for the 3 cable chargers you need to use the middle cable called CCS for fastest charging. Typically the cables are short to try prevent cars driving over them and cars like Nissan leaf have no issues. The ioniq needs to park in specific spots to reach. You may be able to ask other drivers to move. Learn the limits of the chargers . Generally only one car can fast charge at a time, unless one of the cars can fast AC charge like the Zoe. Two ioniqs cannot fast charge at the same time on the same charger. The cable in the right AC43 WILL NOT fast charge an ioniq, only slow charge it. Use the middle CCS one. Download the app zapmap and filter for CCS fast chargers only to get an idea of the locations of fast chargers and if you have to rely on the public network make sure there is another charger within range as a backup.

Kramer wrote: »
    Evidently, you've no real need to utilise the FCPs.
    Grand so, go ahead & hammer everyone else who might be dependent on, or frequently use, publicly accessible chargers.

I reckon €2 per kWh, €1 per minute & a €20 session charge should guarantee your choice of FCP will be free for you, when you need it, unkel :D.

I understand your point, but if you need to fast charge often, then you haven't bought the right car. For me it's a bit of the opposite, I have just stopped going to places in Ireland beyond the range of my car because of the state of the network. I am fortunate that I can do that, I've no work far away and no family far away in Ireland.

And for those people that do need to fast charge regularly, surely you wouldn't mind a €30 charge for a fast charge once or twice a month? Almost all your other charging is done at home at not much more than one tenth of the cost of diesel...

• Advertisement

unkel wrote:
    And for those people that do need to fast charge regularly, surely you wouldn't mind a €30 charge for a fast charge once or twice a month? Almost all your other charging is done at home at not much more than one tenth of the cost of diesel...

There are a couple of problems with this...
    A.) If going on a journey will cost me more in charging then petrol/diesel then I'll take the ice
    B.) Many people regularly use EVs to do long journeys. I travel across the country at least 2 or 3 times a month. Your pricing structure would cost me literally thousands extra a year (bye bye incentive for buying an EV)
    C.) If charges are prohibitive, then people won't use the network as it's too expensive. This under ulitisation, very high value but very low volume will make the chargers economically unviable for commercial companies....no profit, no investment or maintanence.

With the exception of the greater Dublin area there is not that much of a problem with waiting for charging. It is getting worse, but at least 70% of the time I arrive at empty chargers.

ESB need to be very careful with their charging fees, there is a sweet spot between being freeing up the network, but ensuring maximum appropriate loading
    If they get that balance wrong then their profit and future goes ass up....

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement