Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Hyundai Ioniq 28kWh

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 65,741 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

Agree with most of your post. But the essence of my view is that fast charging should not be free. And the shambles that the current network is in, is caused mainly by free charging. Of course there was no problem when I got my car 2 years ago and there were only 2k EVs. Now there are close enough to 10k EVs (maybe by the end of the year) and fast charging anywhere near Dublin is a disaster

I don't have the balls to try the fast chargers outside the greater Dublin area but I take your word for it that there's not so much of a problem (yet) there. The culchies like the Healy-Rays, their diesels and the holy roman catholic church too much :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,512 ✭✭✭OffalyMedic

unkel wrote:
    If the other Ioniq was charging (or any other CCS or CHAdeMO charging car), then you would have had to wait until they finished anyway. Just park beside them and reverse your car into the left spot when they leave. Or do like I do and park horizontally in the two or three spaces to the right of the left spot

So can only one ioniq charge at a time at these chargers even though there is a type two cable and CCS?
    I know it's in this forum somewhere but I'm only up as far as page 100🙈
    zg3409 wrote:
    I would recommend you get a proper 7.2kw home charger as soon as possible. Apply for the home charger grant tonight.

Grant applied for and I'm looking at buying charger myself and getting local sparks to install. Currently reading the home charge point thread and leaning towards zappi to eliminate need for priority switch (we've an electric shower).

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 19,197 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

What were the two chargers you tried?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,512 ✭✭✭OffalyMedic

slave1 wrote:
    What were the two chargers you tried?

There was an ioniq plugged into the type 2 charger and I attempted to use the CSS but it wouldn't reach around to slot as I was in right hand spot

So can only one ioniq charge at a time at these chargers even though there is a type two cable and CCS?

No, you have that right. A car can charge on CCS/CHAdeMO and another at the AC at the same time

Strange that the Ioniq was charging on the AC. Maybe they were waiting for someone else on the CCS/CHAdeMO and plugged it into the slow charger while waiting. Not the nicest thing then to leave their car (so i.e. a Zoe could not fast charge)

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,802 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

Just spoke to Fitzpatricks Garage Ltd in Kildare.
    They are doing Scrappage on the Ioniq EV at 4k but the car must be taxed, insured and in my name for 9 months.

• Registered Users Posts: 128 ✭✭Mupchease

Kramer wrote: »
    Yep, one of the biggest issues with the Ioniq - can only use the left most space of the customary two spots at an FCP. As you've discovered, an otherwise usable FCP, usable by a Kona, Leaf etc. can be inaccessible to an Ioniq.

Longer FCP cables would be a solution but that isn't going to happen.

Congrats on the Ioniq BTW, keep her between the ditches :D.

Same problem happens with an eGolf

• Registered Users Posts: 128 ✭✭Mupchease

unkel wrote: »
    If the other Ioniq was charging (or any other CCS or CHAdeMO charging car), then you would have had to wait until they finished anyway. Just park beside them and reverse your car into the left spot when they leave. Or do like I do and park horizontally in the two or three spaces to the right of the left spot :D

(I only do this at Lucan, where these spaces are NEVER used by anyone)

I've only fast charged once since last summer. Used to do it regularly as my local fast charger is just round the corner and I would drive right past it several times a day and have stuff to be at there - starbucks, mcdonalds, take aways, supermarket, pharmacy, etc. Can't be bothered now, there is nearly always at least one other car charging these days (Lucan - the busiest FCP in Ireland)

Just charge at home and hope those Ionity chargers will be open soon and that the ESB will start charging heavily for all public chargers, or at least the fast chargers.

There is perfect room at the lucan one to have a bank along that back area. I’ve only used it once it’s always busy. Tesco extra up at liffey valley is a good spot to do some shopping and a slow charge to keep topped up. Four spaces there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,822 ✭✭✭Old diesel

There are a couple of problems with this...
    A.) If going on a journey will cost me more in charging then petrol/diesel then I'll take the ice
    B.) Many people regularly use EVs to do long journeys. I travel across the country at least 2 or 3 times a month. Your pricing structure would cost me literally thousands extra a year (bye bye incentive for buying an EV)
    C.) If charges are prohibitive, then people won't use the network as it's too expensive. This under ulitisation, very high value but very low volume will make the chargers economically unviable for commercial companies....no profit, no investment or maintanence.

With the exception of the greater Dublin area there is not that much of a problem with waiting for charging. It is getting worse, but at least 70% of the time I arrive at empty chargers.

ESB need to be very careful with their charging fees, there is a sweet spot between being freeing up the network, but ensuring maximum appropriate loading
    If they get that balance wrong then their profit and future goes ass up....

For me the charging set up should work like this.....

1) drivers who can't put in a home charger can have access to their local charger without excessive fees. You ideally want a charger where the driver would normally park the car. Not necessarily always possible though.

2) we want people to actually use chargers - so what we want is plentiful capacity via various options.

3) I really like the charging HUB idea as per Dundee in Scotland. Get a fair few cars charging at a time where needed. Result.

4) Rapidgate is an issue with the current network - the way forward is to actually factor Rapidgate into capacity planning. So more chargers - rather then telling someone you have to wait or we don't want you to charge.

5) the big thing for me is that you should be able to use your EV as needed and to go wherever you need to. This rightly has been a focus of a lot of rapidgate criticism.

Charging for charger use for me should be about covering cost of charger provision and maintenance and the energy you use to charge your car.

Setting charges to "discourage" use is the wrong way to go. But charges to support development of network is fine imo

kceire wrote: »
    Just spoke to Fitzpatricks Garage Ltd in Kildare.
    They are doing Scrappage on the Ioniq EV at 4k but the car must be taxed, insured and in my name for 9 months.

Yeah they're all different. Some dealers don't want to know at all about scrappage (even though Hyundai Ireland are supposed to cover the costs), some are strict like that, I believe the terms from Hyundai Ireland are taxed, NCTd and in your name a certain period, but some dealers take it really easy and can even provide you with a banger :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,887 ✭✭✭zg3409

No, you have that right. A car can charge on CCS/CHAdeMO and another at the AC at the same time

Strange that the Ioniq was charging on the AC. Maybe they were waiting for someone else on the CCS/CHAdeMO and plugged it into the slow charger while waiting. Not the nicest thing then to leave their car (so i.e. a Zoe could not fast charge)

So just to clarify Ioniq/Kona etc. should use middle cable and charge at 50kw DC (CCS). If you use the right cable (type 2) the ioniq/kona etc will slow charge at 7.2kw AC the same speed as a home charger, or an on street slow charger. This should only be done while waiting for the middle plug to be free or if the left cable Chademo (DC) is in use as when either DC is in use the other DC will not work. Please do not use the right cable and leave your car as a Zoe can charge at 43kw there while your 7.2kw blocks them from using it. If a Zoe arrives they are stuck for up to several hours while you slow charge , you would be better off moving to a slow charge destination if you intend leaving your car.

Yep 100%

If a Zoe arrives and you are on the triple head AC charging at 7.2kW, unless you only need a little while longer to get where you are going, you really should stop charging and let Zoe charge.

Yeah they're all different. Some dealers don't want to know at all about scrappage (even though Hyundai Ireland are supposed to cover the costs), some are strict like that, I believe the terms from Hyundai Ireland are taxed, NCTd and in your name a certain period, but some dealers take it really easy and can even provide you with a banger :D

Fairview Motors not offering scrapage.
    If you know an easy dealer, then I could be talked into a new Ioniq over the I£!

• Registered Users Posts: 180 ✭✭cloughy

would also be interested in other dealers doing scrappage especially if they were relatively easy on the car being provided, as to me its just a discount in another name, funded by Hyundai and Dealer not really losing out,

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,819 ✭✭✭Silent Running

There is a dealer in Limerick that has a history of 'providing' a scrapper for you. Just sign the reg cert and you're good. You don't even need to see the damn thing. :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,558 ✭✭✭✭yabadabado

Fairview Motors not offering scrapage.
    If you know an easy dealer, then I could be talked into a new Ioniq over the I£!

If a dealer wont offer scrappage ,Id tell them straight out they aren't going to get my business and walk away.
    There are 30 odd Hyundai dealers so no problem shopping around.

You may have to travel further to get a good deal but **** them it's always worth shopping around.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,558 ✭✭✭✭yabadabado

There is a dealer in Limerick that has a history of 'providing' a scrapper for you. Just sign the reg cert and you're good. You don't even need to see the damn thing. :D

That is the type of place that deserves the business, fair ****s to them.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,262 ✭✭✭jusmeig

In all honesty there was a few work men around and I felt like a total newbie and self conscious fiddling with my car charger and like a bit of an idiot (like when you see someone at a filling station park on wrong side of pump and drag it all around the car ) so because I didn't really need to charge and was only doing it for experience I just left

Lol makes sense. I had an audience when I first used FCP at Dublin airport. Lucky for me a helpful taxi driver schooled me...more because he wanted me out so he could charge his leaf 😂

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,406 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

Picked up my shiny new phantom black Ioniq from Hyundai Galway this afternoon. Some difference to my rickety 11 year old van. :D

Figuring out the cruise control and testing the lane assist on the M17 was fun! :pac:

Get that wrap done and post a picture here or GTFO!

Well wear :)

• Advertisement
  • Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,406 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

Hah yeah I'm considering it alright, though I have to say the grey grill looks much better in person than it does in pics online strangely enough.

Anyone know anywhere around mayo/galway that does it?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 605 ✭✭✭FaganJr

Mickeroo wrote:
    Picked up my shiny new phantom black Ioniq from Hyundai Galway this afternoon. Some difference to my rickety 11 year old van.

Mickeroo wrote:
    Figuring out the cruise control and testing the lane assist on the M17 was fun!

What's the charging infrastructure like where you are?
    Have you home charging set up?
    Is there charging where you work? (Super handy if you did)
    Just starting to look at this and I'm not hearing good things about charging infrastructure or lack of it in this country.
    Probably look at moving to electric in the next couple of years.
    Good luck with your new car, I'd say your going to attract a few tyre kickers over the next while 😂😂

FaganJr wrote: »
    Just starting to look at this and I'm not hearing good things about charging infrastructure or lack of it in this country.
    Good luck with your new car, I'd say your going to attract a few tyre kickers over the next while 😂😂

Cheers. Yeah I think I'll have a fair few people wanting a look on Monday when I go to work!

No charging at work though I might suggest they install some now :pac: There's a rapid charger very close to where I live, only about 1km away and then two other slower public chargers around the town. There's another rapid charger less than 10km from work too if I'm ever stuck. I don't envision having to use them very much though as the vast majority of my charging will be at home.My only regular long drive is a 210km round trip to South Co galway but there are two rapids on the route and I also have the option of using the granny when I'm down there if I'm stuck.

Been using the granny cable to charge over the weekend and should hopefully have a proper home charger installed next week.

FaganJr wrote: »
    Good luck with your new car, I'd say your going to attract a few tyre kickers over the next while ����

The charging infrastructure isn't as bad as it's painted. I use it a lot and I've yet to be stuck. I've had to queue a few times, but never more that behind the car that's charging. There are problems with local freeloaders, who charge at a rapid when the don't really need to, but these will be dealt with by a, hopefully reasonable, pay-for-charging structure.

I plan my long trips to avoid charging near population centres and this is, I believe, why I haven't suffered as much as those who are using rapid chargers near their homes.

Destination chargers in towns around the country are becoming more congested as faulty units aren't repaired, and more cars are looking to use them. Ecars say they have a programme drawn up to replace the old chargers with new, more reliable units. This should help with the capacity problem, but the real solution is greater numbers of chargers.

Can anyone with the most up to date sat nav maps check if the M17 from Tuam to Gort is on theirs? It wasn't on mine on Friday so just trying to figure out if I have the latest installed or not.

dealer in Limerick is no longer doing scrappage, he said Hyundai have finished it due to limited supply of cars, and no need to offer scrappage to sell, thats what he told me on Thursday, will do a discount for no trade in, but still well over 31k if bought as via Company of just short of 30k if personal deal.

Interest if anyone finds a dealer willing to sell for less than the above,

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,081 ✭✭✭fricatus

Maybe someone can help with this... I use the adaptive cruise control feature a lot when driving on the motorway and find it really great, apart from one thing: if I use the accelerator pedal to speed up while overtaking, the car is over-eager to get back to the set speed once I take the foot off. It actually brakes to get back down to 110 or 120 or whatever I've set (I checked this the other night when there were no other cars nearby and I could see the red glow of the brake lights against the spoiler).

I'd like it just to coast back down to the set speed when I take my foot off the gas. Anyone know how to do this? There's a setting accessible from the steering wheel under something like Driver Assist - Cruise Control, and it offers Slow, Normal and Fast, but the manual isn't clear (IMO) on what this actually does, and I couldn't detect any difference myself.

Any thoughts?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,236 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

You cannot do this with any adaptive cruise system AFAIK
    Certainly not possible in the Ioniq anyway

fricatus wrote: »
    Maybe someone can help with this... I use the adaptive cruise control feature a lot when driving on the motorway and find it really great, apart from one thing: if I use the accelerator pedal to speed up while overtaking, the car is over-eager to get back to the set speed once I take the foot off. It actually brakes to get back down to 110 or 120 or whatever I've set (I checked this the other night when there were no other cars nearby and I could see the red glow of the brake lights against the spoiler).

I'd like it just to coast back down to the set speed when I take my foot off the gas. Anyone know how to do this? There's a setting accessible from the steering wheel under something like Driver Assist - Cruise Control, and it offers Slow, Normal and Fast, but the manual isn't clear (IMO) on what this actually does, and I couldn't detect any difference myself.

Any thoughts?

The only way to do this is a bit of a work around.

When you want to settle down to your cruising speed, turn the cruise off by pressing the O button on the steering wheel. As long as the regen is set to zero, the car will slow down naturally. When the cruise speed is reached press the RES button and it will resume with the previous speed setting.

• Advertisement

cloughy wrote: »
    dealer in Limerick is no longer doing scrappage, he said Hyundai have finished it due to limited supply of cars, and no need to offer scrappage to sell, thats what he told me on Thursday, will do a discount for no trade in, but still well over 31k if bought as via Company of just short of 30k if personal deal.

Interest if anyone finds a dealer willing to sell for less than the above,

Fitzpatricks in Kildare offered it to me last week.
    I was walking out with a brand new white ioniq for 26k.

thanks for the update kceire, as I was talking to their Naas garrage, and scrappage was off the table, but would reduce the cost based on my trade-in, but no scrappage,

I got scrappage on mine in galway but the deal was made in january. No harm asking them though. Castlebar were willing to offer scrappage too when I chatted to them in January.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,081 ✭✭✭fricatus

ELM327 wrote: »
    You cannot do this with any adaptive cruise system AFAIK
    Certainly not possible in the Ioniq anyway

Yeah, you're sort of stuck with how it works, and there doesn't seem to be any further configuration possible. That was the case in my '05 Honda Accord which I had before the Ioniq, but the difference was that the Accord would just coast back down to cruise speed (yes, it was just dumb cruise control, not adaptive, but the feeling of coasting back down was much more gentle than the feeling of applying the brakes at speed on a motorway)

The only way to do this is a bit of a work around.

When you want to settle down to your cruising speed, turn the cruise off by pressing the O button on the steering wheel. As long as the regen is set to zero, the car will slow down naturally. When the cruise speed is reached press the RES button and it will resume with the previous speed setting.

Thanks, that seems like the easiest option all right.

fricatus wrote: »
    There's a setting accessible from the steering wheel under something like Driver Assist - Cruise Control, and it offers Slow, Normal and Fast, but the manual isn't clear (IMO) on what this actually does

That's how aggressive the car reacts?

Did you try setting it to slow, I would imagine it accelerates / decelerates in the slowest way. You have it probably set to fast?

That's how aggressive the car reacts?

Did you try setting it to slow, I would imagine it accelerates / decelerates in the slowest way. You have it probably set to fast?

Actions taken by the adaptive cruise are independent of the regen setting, and of the "fast/slow" setting. The fast/slow setting is how quickly it reacts, not how quickly it resumes the set speed.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators Posts: 12,385 ✭✭✭✭Black_Knight

So if none of us buy Ioniqs, demand will be down, so they'll offer scrappage again. :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,404 ✭✭✭peposhi

Fitzpatricks in Kildare offered it to me last week.
    I was walking out with a brand new white ioniq for 26k.

Did you walk out with one or yet to do so, kceire?

peposhi wrote: »
    Did you walk out with one or yet to do so, kceire?

I backed out an bought an i3 instead :o

• Registered Users Posts: 1,122 ✭✭✭BigAl81

Hey,

Just to add some real world feedback on range. After charging to 100% I'm constantly getting about 185kms of range at the moment.

Whack on the heating, or do a bit of motorway driving and your down to 170kms or less.

In sub 10 degree weather, it's not a 200kms car just so people are aware if considering this car.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,546 ✭✭✭denismc

BigAl81 wrote: »
    Hey,

Just to add some real world feedback on range. After charging to 100% I'm constantly getting about 185kms of range at the moment.

Whack on the heating, or do a bit of motorway driving and your down to 170kms or less.

In sub 10 degree weather, it's not a 200kms car just so people are aware if considering this car.

I think some of that may be down to driving style, if you have a heavy foot then your range is going to suffer, same as in an ICE,
    Mine didn't drop below 200km range all winter

• Advertisement

I've only had the car since Friday and don't have a charger yet so not fully used to seeing my max range, but my GOM was 191km this morning on a 93% charge and unlike yesterday I didn't drive to work in sport mode (sorry Unkel it won't happen again once I have a home charge point :pac:) so I only used about 15% of the battery in my just under 30km commute.

Hey,

+1
    10 degrees seems to be the minimum required.

Do not buy this car if you need to do 200km all year round. I ran it down to 1% doing 175km over the winter.

From a (thankfully soon to be ex)owner

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,936 ✭✭✭ewj1978

what are you getting now ELM?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,122 ✭✭✭BigAl81

denismc wrote:
    Mine didn't drop below 200km range all winter

Strange, 2 of us here have a 191 with different driving style and commutes, but we both get 185 exactly at 100% charge. Maybe 191 GOMs are more conservative?

Don't get me wrong, it's a lovely car and really enjoy it, but range for me in this weather is about 180kms @ 100% battery.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,546 ✭✭✭denismc

Strange, 2 of us here have a 191 with different driving style and commutes, but we both get 185 exactly at 100% charge. Maybe 191 GOMs are more conservative?

Don't get me wrong, it's a lovely car and really enjoy it, but range for me in this weather is about 180kms @ 100% battery.

Most of my commute is on national roads where l rarely get above 80kmph plus my boy racer days are long behind me.
    If I was doing more motorway driving I'm sure my figures would be closer to yours.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,404 ✭✭✭peposhi

I backed out an bought an i3 instead :o

😮

Cool! Can’t wait to see the kcei3re blog :)

ewj1978 wrote: »
    what are you getting now ELM?

About 180 this week on the gom as it's hovering between 7 and 10 degrees.
    Not bad, certainly better than others from its release date, but still crap compared to what I expected and what I had observed in the summer.

In my L24 the drop off in winter was not this bad.

The range last summer was unreal (because of the extended heat wave). It was much better than the summer before. Your expectations of Ioniq range (in winter) were obviously based on that, but that turned out to be too optimistic

I have to admit I wasn't expecting the variations to be so big. I averaged 12kWh/100km over many months last summer (the year before it was 14kWh) but this winter I have averaged 16kWh. Just reset it again last week when the weather took a milder turn and I'm back to 14kWh now

I drive the car very hard, but not an awful lot of sustained motorway driving at 130km/h on cruise (I do this whenever I can, but pretty much all my driving is in the Dublin / Meath / Wicklow / Kildare area)

The range last summer was unreal (because of the extended heat wave). It was much better than the summer before. Your expectations of Ioniq range (in winter) were obviously based on that, but that turned out to be too optimistic

I have to admit I wasn't expecting the variations to be so big. I averaged 12kWh/100km over many months last summer (the year before it was 14kWh) but this winter I have averaged 16kWh. Just reset it again last week when the weather took a milder turn and I'm back to 14kWh now

I drive the car very hard, but not an awful lot of sustained motorway driving at 130km/h on cruise (I do this whenever I can, but pretty much all my driving is in the Dublin / Meath / Wicklow / Kildare area)

I had similar in the summer (~12kWh/100km even on N roads at 110)

Big difference between 12kWh/100km and 16kWh/100km in a 28kWh car. Range goes from 230km to 175km. My inlaws live ~180km from me, our regular hotel is 207km from our apartment.. both of which have destination charging. My regular round trips are 120km daily and 170km twice a weekend.

And herein lies my problem. I bought the Ioniq factoring in a 10% drop in range from summer to winter as I had in the L24, and assumed it would do all trips without charging stops and I was prepared to pay a premium for that.

It doesnt. Not all year anyway, rendering it useless to me and as such I have agreed a sale. Hopefully in the next couple of days.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,496 ✭✭✭irishgrover

My driving is consistent for the last year. 80% motorways. 80% averaging 127+kmph indicated speeds. During summer GOM averages 179-181, during winter averages 164-167. It I slow down it increases significantly.
    This is in line with my expectations

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement