Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Hyundai Ioniq 28kWh

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 65,741 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

Aye big difference. Imagine the difference between summer and winter they get in Norway / Canada :D

Your expectations of Ioniq were too high if you expected you could do a 180km trip on a bad day in winter at 120km/h. I wouldn't even attempt that in summer unless I put in some effort to drive smoothly (and not hammer it). Motorway speed kills range, even in an aerodynamic car like Ioniq. I'd say I'd have no issue getting 300km range on a good day in summer driving smoothly on provincial roads (not going over 80km/h)

How much you got for your Ioniq and was it a private sale?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,236 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

unkel wrote: »
    Aye big difference. Imagine the difference between summer and winter they get in Norway / Canada :D

Your expectations of Ioniq were too high if you expected you could do a 180km trip on a bad day in winter at 120km/h. I wouldn't even attempt that in summer unless I put in some effort to drive smoothly (and not hammer it). Motorway speed kills range, even in an aerodynamic car like Ioniq. I'd say I'd have no issue getting 300km range on a good day in summer driving smoothly on provincial roads (not going over 80km/h)

How much you got for your Ioniq and was it a private sale?

Guess I was expecting too much.
    Sale agreed not sold yet so will go into details once the (proverbial) cash changes hands! :P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,822 ✭✭✭Old diesel

I was working off an assumption of a range in the region of 125 miles based on UK Forum reports I saw.

So if I go by Unkles figures - instead of 125 I might get 108.

Happy with that - which indicates the differing expectations.

As 125 to 108 is totally different to 144 to 108.

I'd never have expected to see 140 miles of range in first place.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,819 ✭✭✭Silent Running

My average rate is 13kWh/100km. This is after a very long hard motorway run last week. That was running with the heating on all the time at 21C and seat warmers on.

I don't drive the arse off it, but I keep up with motorway traffic. I don't feel the need to use sport mode as I'm more comfortable with the steering rate in normal mode, but I don't use eco either.

It's a piece of string really. Some owners in the UK, but even more so in Germany, France and Italy are getting huge ranges. One got 433km and had 4% range left. But many of them are hypermiling or at least driving it very efficiently and don't go near motorway speeds

If you do, and like to drive at 120km/h (real speed, in Ioniq this is an indicated speed of 125km/h) you might get about 190km in summer and 170km in winter, although I would not attempt to do either. If you need more range, either get a car with more range or drive slower

My average rate is 13kWh/100km. This is after a very long hard motorway run last week. That was running with the heating on all the time at 21C and seat warmers on.

Wow that's very good. Motorway range of 215km in winter. My guess is your typical speed was well below 120km/h though?

Wow that's very good. Motorway range of 215km in winter. My guess is your typical speed was well below 120km/h though?

Lol no, you would do that speed on the UK M4 at your peril. It's either 90 in lane 1 with the trucks and Leafs or 120-30 in lane 2 with normal traffic.... or 140+ in lane 3. The speed limit on motorways over there is 112kmh.

The run was 520kms, so I wasn't hanging around all day in lane 1. I was mostly in lane 2, or at 120 in lane 1 when it was empty. The M25 is another matter. 120 when possible, but it was very busy and the variable speed limit was 50mph (80kmh) for most of it.

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,406 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

I don't drive the arse off it, but I keep up with motorway traffic. I don't feel the need to use sport mode as I'm more comfortable with the steering rate in normal mode, but I don't use eco either.

How did you manage that consumption rate on a motorway? I've only got three days worth of commutes to go on but the only time I've got below 15 or 16 since Monday was this morning because i was stuck in a long line of traffic behind a lumber lorry and only averaged 60km/h. It was actually up at 19 for most of monday if I remember right.

Do the consumption figures tend to be a bit skewed due to the climate control needing to work harder for the first part of the journey?

Mickeroo wrote: »
    How did you manage that consumption rate on a motorway? I've only got three days worth of commutes to go on but the only time I've got below 15 or 16 since Monday was this morning because i was stuck in a long line of traffic behind a lumber lorry and only averaged 60km/h. It was actually up at 19 for most of monday if I remember right.

Do the consumption figures tend to be a bit skewed due to the climate control needing to work harder for the first part of the journey?

The heating working harder to get to a desired temperature certainly has a potential skew effect especially on short trips.

On Silent Runnings UK trip there are other potential factors.

1) the Heater takes same energy at start of trip but Silent Running is traveling further in a particular amount of time. But heater energy use may be the same.

2) when Silent Running travels at 70 mph - his battery will warm up quicker - this helps consumption. He will also do potentially two charges.

That charging also helps get battery warmer.

• Advertisement

I can't explain the technical side of it, but I have a theory about busy motorway runs.

I find that in fast moving, but heavy, traffic I can coast a lot more than I can on an empty motorway. It's as if the large volume of moving cars, vans and trucks sets up a false tail wind as it pulls the air along with it.

I dunno, maybe my driving style just suits a leccy car. :p

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,406 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

Old diesel wrote: »
    The heating working harder to get to a desired temperature certainly has a potential skew effect especially on short trips.

On Silent Runnings UK trip there are other potential factors.

1) the Heater takes same energy at start of trip but Silent Running is traveling further in a particular amount of time. But heater energy use may be the same.

2) when Silent Running travels at 70 mph - his battery will warm up quicker - this helps consumption. He will also do potentially two charges.

That charging also helps get battery warmer.

Cheers. I do seem to remember on one of zero tailpipe's vids they said they always plug in and give a small charge before they head off to warm the battery a bit for better efficiency now you mention it.

Do most folks here just pick a temp and set the climate control to auto?
    I can't explain the technical side of it, but I have a theory about busy motorway runs.

I find that in fast moving, but heavy, traffic I can coast a lot more than I can on an empty motorway. It's as if the large volume of moving cars, vans and trucks sets up a false tail wind as it pulls the air along with it.

I dunno, maybe my driving style just suits a leccy car. :p

Now I think of it the best consumption figure I've gotten so far was my drive from the dealership last Friday which was the only time I've had it on a motorway and is the longest journey I've done so far.

There's something very satisfying about coasting in this car when you see your speed still increasing and 0kw consumption in the EV menu :D

I suppose the fact I drive to work on a regular country road with lots of accelerating and slowing down is by it's very nature less efficient.

Cheers. I do seem to remember on one of zero tailpipe's vids they said they always plug in and give a small charge before they head off to warm the battery a bit for better efficiency now you mention it.

Now I think of it the best consumption figure I've gotten so far was my drive from the dealership last Friday which was the only time I've had it on a motorway and is the longest journey I've done so far.

There's something very satisfying about coasting in this car when you see your speed still increasing and 0kw consumption in the EV menu :D

I suppose the fact I drive to work on a regular country road with lots of accelerating and slowing down is by it's very nature less efficient.

Normally the country roads are where best efficiency is achieved. Motorways are usually where efficiency goes to die. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 128 ✭✭Mupchease

That makes a show of my egolf. That’s really impressive. I haven’t got better that 16.5kWh/100km and that’s only at 95km/hr

It’s usually at 17.4 for my motorway runs.

Mupchease wrote: »
    That makes a show of my egolf. That’s really impressive. I haven’t got better that 16.5kWh/100km and that’s only at 95km/hr

It’s usually at 17.4 for my motorway runs.

I just went out to check the car as I was worried I was telling a load of porkies. :D

After a very hard run to Dublin and back yesterday in poor conditions and hammering it a bit due to time constraints, it's now at 13.2. I took a picture of the screen if anyone thinks I'm fibbing.

is that in the history tab for yesterdays driving? It adds entries in there each time you turn off the car right? Or is it once a day?

• Advertisement

is that in the history tab for yesterdays driving? It adds entries in there each time you turn off the car right? Or is it once a day?

That's my average. I can't remember ever resetting the thing.

That's my average. I can't remember ever resetting the thing.

So that's your lifetime (with the car) average? I've been resetting everything when I sit in each morning, not sure if I actually need to do that though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,546 ✭✭✭denismc

So that's your lifetime (with the car) average? I've been resetting everything when I sit in each morning, not sure if I actually need to do that though.
    There are 2 trip meters, A and B, for individual trips just reset one and leave the other to record your overall economy, also there is history that tells you your economy day by day.

I was thinking of how on his UK trip Running Silent would have been using 50 kw charger

denismc wrote: »
    There are 2 trip meters, A and B, for individual trips just reset one and leave the other to record your overall economy, also there is history that tells you your economy day by day.
    There's only one economy trip though.

There's A and B for distance, speed and time. But only one kWh/100km trip.

• Advertisement

Mupchease wrote: »

It's easy enough to stay under 10kWh/100km in summer with a light foot and staying below 90km/h. Tried it last year. No need for any hypermiling, just driving gently and I had the air conditioning on!

Bit boring though, I usually just hammer it. As I rarely need the range. And charging an EV is so cheap, it might as well be free :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,227 ✭✭✭Kramer

I took a picture of the screen if anyone thinks I'm fibbing.

I'll show you mine if you show me yours :D

1fUEVdb.jpg
    dmBj7ca.jpg
    9fS9k8o.jpg
    r41GsN8.jpg
    FMxqQGr.jpg

15.7kWh/100km average over last 2990km or an average of 179km range on GOM.
    Mixed driving with a large emphasis on economy, to stretch out the range, when necessary.

Ioniq has 160km usable (comfortable) winter range IMO - very few will regularly drive down to under 10/15%, unless near home etc.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,227 ✭✭✭Kramer

Aussie review.

Looking well - great looking front end on her.
    Looks well from the rear too.

:D:D:D:D:D

No need for any wrapping there. Take it all off!! :p

@ELM427

Even once you get your new Tesla Model S you will need to keep your speed in check. P100D Ludicrous has a range of not much more than about 120km @250km/h :p

Kramer wrote: »
    Aussie review.

Looking well - great looking front end on her.
    Looks well from the rear too.

:D:D:D:D:D
    And your opinion on the car??

Kramer wrote: »
    Ioniq has 160km usable (comfortable) winter range IMO - very few will regularly drive down to under 10/15%, unless near home etc.
    Agree with this for sure.
    I certainly won't drive more than 160-165 anymore without a serious eye on the battery. Which is a shame.

@ELM427

Even once you get your new Tesla Model S you will need to keep your speed in check. P100D Ludicrous has a range of not much more than about 120km @250km/h :p

Doubt I'll get the chance to test that in Ireland very much. :D

I have driven at 250km/h before in a e61 535d and it was very "tunnel visioned", didnt like it much. The car was fine but the driver and passengers were not!!

ELM327 wrote: »
    I certainly won't drive more than 160-165 anymore without a serious eye on the battery. Which is a shame.

The only EVs you can comfortably go further in than that at motorway speeds in winter are the Kona (which was not out yet when you bought Ioniq) and the Teslas...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,553 ✭✭✭Fiery mutant

Variations in ranges seem to be quite big in some instances?

I’m getting roughly 200km now in the winter, shortest I got was probably 180km in the coldest weather. Summer i get about 250km.

I haven’t reset the gauge since I bought the car, and it’s currently at 12.8kw after nearly 89000km.

We should defend our way of life to an extent that any attempt on it is crushed, so that any adversary will never make such an attempt in the future.

The only EVs you can comfortably go further in than that at motorway speeds in winter are the Kona (which was not out yet when you bought Ioniq) and the Teslas...
    Now you see my rationale for moving on now, before I depreciate the Ioniq too much driving it 4k-5k a month. :pac:

• Advertisement

Variations in ranges seem to be quite big in some instances?

I’m getting roughly 200km now in the winter, shortest I got was probably 180km in the coldest weather. Summer i get about 250km.

I'm pretty much exactly the same, although I've never quite seen 250km myself.

But you and me both probably don't really do much intercity motorway driving at 125-130km/h indicated (120-125km/h real speed), do we?

I'm pretty much exactly the same, although I've never quite seen 250km myself.

But you and me both probably don't really do much intercity motorway driving at 125-130km/h indicated (120-125km/h real speed), do we?

The most common motorways I drive, M3,N/M11 and M8 are all very undulating which probably doesnt help things efficiency wise either.

The most common motorways I drive, M3,N/M11 and M8 are all very undulating which probably doesnt help things efficiency wise either.

On most of those roads, I usually try to see how fast I can go before the family protests that I'm going too fast :D

Unfortunately recently I've had to resort to either leafspeed or stopping to charge, due to the weather.
    In the summer I made the same trip (~175km) at 120 with no problems in range at all.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,869 ✭✭✭Alkers

ELM327 wrote:
    Now you see my rationale for moving on now, before I depreciate the Ioniq too much driving it 4k-5k a month.

What are you changing to?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 19,197 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

Weather has a massive impact, my commute was 40% in the p1ssing rain Tuesday evening, this morning much milder and dry roads and it was 31%, it's a Leaf but same principal...

Simona1986 wrote: »
    What are you changing to?

Have gotten a runaround diesel (booooo I know) sorted from a mate for a few hundred quid for the moment. Going to save for the next few weeks/months and then look either at a model S (or X preferably if they drop in price, doubtful) or a model 3 if available in RHD.

Here's your next car ELM427:

Linky

Can anyone with the most up to date sat nav maps check if the M17 from Tuam to Gort is on theirs? It wasn't on mine on Friday so just trying to figure out if I have the latest installed or not.

Sorry to go bumping my own posts but could someone check the above? :o

• Advertisement

Not sure I have the latest update (mine was updated when the car was serviced when I bought it approx 1 year ago) but it is not showing in mine.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,869 ✭✭✭Alkers

ELM327 wrote:
    Going to save for the next few weeks/months and then look either at a model S (or X preferably if they drop in price, doubtful) or a model 3 if available in RHD.

Few weeks! What do you work as?!

Simona1986 wrote: »
    Few weeks! What do you work as?!
    Hahah that's for the lump sum deposit not for the whole thing :pac:Anyway I'd expect months not weeks.

Have agreed a sale date next week for the Ioniq, perfect timing as it's still well under 50k km and each week I have it will add 1k km.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 381 ✭✭sean72

Used a fast charger for the first time today since getting my ioniq in January. It charged for a while but then stopped and a message fast charger appeared. I restarted it and it worked for a while. What the chances this is a car versus charger issue?

sean72 wrote: »
    Used a fast charger for the first time today since getting my ioniq in January. It charged for a while but then stopped and a message fast charger appeared. I restarted it and it worked for a while. What the chances this is a car versus charger issue?
    Were you in the CN reg Ioniq in Blanch this morning by any chance?
    I parked at the slow charger and walked up to Krispy Kreme. There was a 191 Ioniq plugged in at the fast AC charger. If it was you, you were using the wrong cable. You should use the "chunky headed one", CCS.

Were you in the CN reg Ioniq in Blanch this morning by any chance?
    I parked at the slow charger and walked up to Krispy Kreme. There was a 191 Ioniq plugged in at the fast AC charger. If it was you, you were using the wrong cable. You should use the "chunky headed one", CCS.

Nope I was in Cork

• Advertisement

I used one for the first time during the week too (and 2nd time last night) but it just kept tipping away until it hit 94% (which is where it's supposed to stop on a rapid charger).

I used one for the first time during the week too (and 2nd time last night) but it just kept tipping away until it hit 94% (which is where it's supposed to stop on a rapid charger).

I’m really hoping this was a charger issue and not the car. I have to use them for a journey next week.

Some of the newest charger installs seem to be a bit unreliable alright. Dodgy software probably, but you'd expect nothing else from ecars.

Some of the newest charger installs seem to be a bit unreliable alright. Dodgy software probably, but you'd expect nothing else from ecars.

Don’t think the charger I used was a new charger or even upgraded recently.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 997 ✭✭✭Peppa Cig

I assume you use your own charging cable at public charging stations.

Is theft of your charging cable at public chargers a potential issue?

Are they expensive to replace?

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement