Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Hyundai Ioniq 28kWh

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,351 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

Peppa Cig wrote: »
    I assume you use your own charging cable at public charging stations.

Is theft of your charging cable at public chargers a potential issue?

Are they expensive to replace?
    Yes you use your own cable at slow charging stations.

No theft is not an issue as they are locked to the car.

Yes they are expensive to replace

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 65,881 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

ELM327 wrote: »
    each week I have it will add 1k km.

I know Excel spreadsheets / cost calculations are not your forte or your passion, but have you even tried put your figures together?

Without even having a go myself, I'd say you won't get much change from a EUR100 weekly diesel bill going forward. With possible significant maintenance / repair costs

That is much more than the TCO of your Ioniq at the moment. In other words, sell your newish Ioniq, buy an oldish diesel and you will lose money compared to keep driving your Ioniq

Have you thought this through?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,825 ✭✭✭Old diesel

unkel wrote: »
    I know Excel spreadsheets / cost calculations are not your forte or your passion, but have you even tried put your figures together?

Without even having a go myself, I'd say you won't get much change from a EUR100 weekly diesel bill going forward. With possible significant maintenance / repair costs

That is much more than the TCO of your Ioniq at the moment. In other words, sell your newish Ioniq, buy an oldish diesel and you will lose money compared to keep driving your Ioniq

As I understand it......

He's selling because he needs 200 km plus all weather, all year round range. He loses out if he traded in so sells privately.

The Gap between selling old car (Ioniq) and the long term replacement is why he's bought a diesel as a temporary car.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,496 ✭✭✭irishgrover

Mickeroo wrote: »
    Sorry to go bumping my own posts but could someone check the above? :o
    I'm getting serviced on Tuesday, so I'll tell you on Wednesday if you have not got a response by then... I'll even drive on that stretch of road whilst checking :-)

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,435 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

I'm getting serviced on Tuesday, so I'll tell you on Wednesday if you have not got a response by then... I'll even drive on that stretch of road whilst checking :-)

Hah fair play, much appreciated. :D is it Hyundai Galway you're getting it done with?

Elm said its not on his and they were updated a year ago.

Hah fair play, much appreciated. :D is it Hyundai Galway you're getting it done with?

Elm said its not on his and they were updated a year ago.

No, getting it done on Tuesday in limerick. Previous update was about 5 months ago and there was no change to maps with that one

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,819 ✭✭✭Silent Running

Sorry to go bumping my own posts but could someone check the above? :o

Yes, the motorway from Tuam to Gort is indeed on the 2019 map update. :)

Old diesel wrote: »
    As I understand it......

He's selling because he needs 200 km plus all weather, all year round range..

Winter is over now, range already gone up to 210km for me. Doing 1000km a week it's madness to sell a car that can do that while saving massive money (to save up for a Tesla if that's the longer term plan)

Same with the i3 milder weather certainly helps. GOM reading was 220 Kms yesterday morning after full charge. Best I got out of it was 230 Kms with about "18%" left last Summer if I remember correctly.

Best I got out of it was 230 Kms with about "18%" left last Summer if I remember correctly.

That's great going. i3 is light, but not the most aerodyamic, but its drive train is very efficient, probably almost on a par with Ioniq

• Advertisement
  • Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,435 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

Yes, the motorway from Tuam to Gort is indeed on the 2019 map update. :)

Ah so they didn't bother updating it the feckers. I was too preoccupied to even think about it before I got the car. Ah well I'll just get it done on the 15k health check.

Ah so they didn't bother updating it the feckers. I was too preoccupied to even think about it before I got the car. Ah well I'll just get it done on the 15k health check.

The updated maps are available online. There is no installation of software to the head unit, you just write the files to a 32g SD card and replace the one in the car with it. I kept the original card and if I put it back in, I have the old maps back again.

The updated maps are available online. There is no installation of software to the head unit, you just write the files to a 32g SD card and replace the one in the car with it. I kept the original card and if I put it back in, I have the old maps back again.

That simple? Do you have a link for the latest maps?

That simple? Do you have a link for the latest maps?

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1NN2SNha0q99pIS0TMUCDMpLFtwDOKuNR/view

It's a zipped file. Just unzip and write the files to a 32g card.

That's great going. i3 is light, but not the most aerodyamic, but its drive train is very efficient, probably almost on a par with Ioniq

It's light alright and that was off the Motorway of course.

If it wasn't such a tall car it could be as good as the Ioniq on the motorway. To be honest, not living in Dublin, unless I'm going to Dublin or Waterford there's no trip I take that's all motorway, I've 4 km to the M9 Carlow/Castledermot Turn off and that takes me all the way to Dublin or waterford , if I need to go anywhere else it's cross country. So I can benefit a lot form the i3 efficiency at lower speeds, it coasts forever on those skinny tyres.

And of course taking the i3 off the motorway is much more fun anyway :) and having the Rex means I can put the boot down for any trip if I want.

BMW designed the i3 as a city car and so the taller profile wouldn't have been an issue as far as BMW saw it and for the most part it's not really.

Is there an app for the ioniq yet ?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,127 ✭✭✭BigAl81

Is there an app for the ioniq yet ?

Nope ;(

The 38kWh one out later this year will have one tho I believe.

BigAl81 wrote: »
    Nope ;(

The 38kWh one out later this year will have one tho I believe.

There's app support in Korea and the US already I think? Would hope if it becomes available for the new model the 28 kWh would get it too.

Yes, the motorway from Tuam to Gort is indeed on the 2019 map update.

Good news, as twice a day my car appears unhappy with me for entering what it perceives to be a field

• Advertisement

That's bad that they don't have app yet. You can live without it of course but app for EV is very convenient.

That's bad that they don't have app yet. You can live without it of course but app for EV is very convenient.

I don't believe that the coms hardware exists in the cars to allow any type of retrofit

I'm a risk analyst by trade with years of experience in advanced excel and DB management not to mention SQL, VB scripting etc. I don't think I would ever say that calculations are not my forte or passion. In fact I would say the opposite.

But there's math and there's man math with a bit of reasoning behind it.
    Is it going to work out better to sell the ioniq, no.

But will it a) clear my credit so I have no loans other than a measly €375 odd mortgage, and b) allow me a few months to save up and change my house and then buy a Tesla? Yes and Yes.

It's not all about total TCO, it can be about positioning and leveraging correctly. The bank doesnt care about TCO, they care about monthly committed borrowings. And my €300 odd fuel cost is a 0 in their books while the Ioniq reduces my potential mortgage by €526 a month.

And it allows me to get out of the Ioniq and into a new house and a Tesla sooner than expected. Win, Win, Win in my book.

Apologies about the Excel remark, it was more meant about accounting calculations!

It frees up cash for sure, and if your bank wants that loan gone to give you a higher mortgage, then sure you will need to do that

It won't get you into a Tesla sooner though with the mileage you do unless you currently pay a high interest on that loan!

giving very serious consideration to selling my Ioniq...for the following reason

1. It's a premium SE so should sell
    2. Supply and demand is in favour of the sellers at the minute
    3. I suspect that depreciation will increase in the next 6 months or so (when supply and demand becomes less of an issue)
    4. I can bu a runaround for 6 months for little money and then start again with something else towards the latter half of the year

Thoughts?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,912 ✭✭✭Mike9832

giving very serious consideration to selling my Ioniq...for the following reason

3. I suspect that depreciation will increase in the next 6 months or so (when supply and demand becomes less of an issue)
    4. I can bu a runaround for 6 months for little money and then start again with something else towards the latter half of the year

Thoughts?

Don't own an EV, but think it's a clever move selling now

You'll have almost zero depreciation and the market is starting to get competitive

Not much is going to change in 6 months, 12-18 months in 2020 should be interesting

Buy a banger now and you might get scrappage on a longer range EV in 2020 for same money your selling your Ioniq for

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,147 ✭✭✭✭KCross

I'd question that one. What do you see happening in the next 6 months thats going to affect your resale value in any meaningful way?

Three possibilities.... Leaf 62, VW Neo and longer range Ioniq.... I dont think any of those will seriously affect your depreciation in 6 months as they wont actually be available or will have a premium price above your car. Anything else?

What kind of mileage are you doing? If you switch to diesel for 6 months how much is that going to cost you vs electricity and do you then think the depreciation is going to be more than that?

Thoughts?

I had the exact same consideration at the end of 2017, I even started a thread about it here!

At the time I had suffered near zero depreciation and I was fearing that the value of my Ioniq would start to go down. So the plan was to sell it, have a runaround (or bring in a relatively cheap UK tax compliance PHEV like a BMW 330e) and wait for the likes of Tesla Model 3 (or a Model S once they came down in price)

The mrs was having none of it, she only wants EVs now even if it means driving a Hyundai and not a BMW :D so I didn't go ahead with it

My fear turned out to be baseless. And I expect nothing much will change in the next 6 months anyway. If VW deliver a family size EV next year for €25k on the road, then yes, all existing EVs will depreciate a bit extra, but if by then we have all or most of the Ionity chargers, an EV like Ioniq with reasonable range and fast re-charging will still keep its value well

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,912 ✭✭✭Mike9832

I'm a risk analyst by trade with years of experience

And it allows me to get out of the Ioniq and into a new house and a Tesla sooner than expected. Win, Win, Win in my book.

Risk analyst and a few years old Tesla, heard it all now lol :pac:

Mike9832 wrote: »
    Risk analyst and a few years old Tesla, heard it all now lol :pac:
    Suppose I should be shorting their stock instead? :D:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 214 ✭✭pdpmur

Suppose I should be shorting their stock instead? :D:rolleyes:

Or maybe both?
    You could then get your car and subsequently unload on the interweb your tale of woes about unreliability and cost, with no qualms. Sorted.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,228 ✭✭✭Kramer

lUhQLOl.jpg

60jKxoG.jpg

No pesky Chademo Leafs using that rapid today!
    Ioniq for the win!!!

:D:D:D:D:D:D

Charlie's angels - the trifecta!

xyDzean.jpg

:D

Jesus, where is that?

I was driving in the Blanch area last Friday afternoon and there was my Ioniq and 2 others within 50m of each other on the road. Ioniq is quite common (for a rare car) in the west Dublin area, there are a handful of them at least locally to me in Lucan. All BEV BTW.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,299 ✭✭✭MightyMunster

Kramer wrote: »

xyDzean.jpg

The all black front is nice! Maybe I should get it wrapped :)

Wrapping should be mandatory :D

Jesus, where is that?

Limerick, Ballysimon CircleK (Ioniq CCS rapid charger :D).

I've never seen 2 BEV Ioniqs together in the wild before - 'twas gas to see 4, all attack the rapid at once.
    An Ioniq blockade :D.

The all black front is nice! Maybe I should get it wrapped :)

Good illustrative picture of the white, blue, black wrapped & naked.
    Blue wrapped is nice too IMO.

I'd say wrap away :).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,552 ✭✭✭denismc

So can the wrap be done without removing the front?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,921 ✭✭✭zg3409

denismc wrote: »
    So can the wrap be done without removing the front?
    Yes

• Advertisement

Limerick, Ballysimon CircleK (Ioniq CCS rapid charger :D).

I've never seen 2 BEV Ioniqs together in the wild before - 'twas gas to see 4, all attack the rapid at once.
    An Ioniq blockade :D.

There's 2 parked at my work charger at the moment.
    And it will be the last time, as today's the day my Ioniq meets its new owner :D:D:D

The only Ioniq EV I had seen in person was my own one (Someone near where I live has a hybrid but they don't count), I've only had it a week and a half but went down to the OH's home place at the weekend and of course there was a white 172-G out the back of the local Londis!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,960 ✭✭✭Soarer

xyDzean.jpg

Is that a new front bumper on the 191 one? Looks well.

I notice that the left hand black one is sitting a little higher on the suspension than the other two. There is a reason for the other black one, carrying all that muck and all. :p

• Registered Users Posts: 144 ✭✭Fermi

OK, who was driving a black Ioniq with 191 reg between Castlebar and Claremorris this morning? I NEVER meet any other Ioniq on that road.

Fermi wrote: »
    OK, who was driving a black Ioniq with 191 reg between Castlebar and Claremorris this morning? I NEVER meet any other Ioniq on that road.

Probably me if it was between 8 and 8:30, did I pass you? I didn't spot another one I would have honked if I did :pac:

Soarer wrote: »

I think someone photoshopped it black...........

It's a wrap :).

Soarer wrote: »

Eah lads, anyone got a Rex ? :D

Eah lads, anyone got a Rex PHEV? :D

Almost all Ioniqs in Ireland are BEV. Nearly nobody has made the mistake of buying a self charging one or a PHEV :p

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 144 ✭✭Fermi

Probably me if it was between 8 and 8:30, did I pass you? I didn't spot another one I would have honked if I did :pac:

Yeah, it was 2-3 miles outside Balla, on the Claremorris side. there was heavy fog, I also spotted you last second otherwise I would flashed lights or so.. see you next time maybe..

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement