Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Hyundai Ioniq 28kWh

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,936 ✭✭✭stesaurus

If all/most Hyundai garages would install a CCS charger then we'd be in great shape. We'd have Tralee, Wexford, Castlebar and another 3 in the midlands
    R2ba3lS.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,295 ✭✭✭n97 mini

liamog wrote: »
    n97 mini wrote: »

It just seems that some people are discounting the range because there isn't a fast charger at the destination and ignoring the destination chargers completely. Its not perfect but also not quite as doom and gloom.

I think there will be pressure on the charging network to supply more CCS. The German manufactures are behind it and will be lobbying. Ideally they should be injecting upgrade funds into the network. Especially given the desire to spread 350k CCS as the max charging standard.

Back on topic, Bjorn has a video of the Ioniq taking 70kw from a 100kw DC charger so it looks like that's the top figure.

Yeah I saw the video. I witnessed an Ioniq pull 50kw for a sustained period at an FCP here. Impressive.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 65,751 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

Ioniq EV bought :)

unkel wrote: »

Well wear! Welcome to the future!

BTW, if you're on FB the two EV groups are worth joining.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,951 ✭✭✭✭Villain

It just seems that some people are discounting the range because there isn't a fast charger at the destination and ignoring the destination chargers completely. Its not perfect but also not quite as doom and gloom.

I think there will be pressure on the charging network to supply more CCS. The German manufactures are behind it and will be lobbying. Ideally they should be injecting upgrade funds into the network. Especially given the desire to spread 350k CCS as the max charging standard.

Back on topic, Bjorn has a video of the Ioniq taking 70kw from a 100kw DC charger so it looks like that's the top figure.

I think it's very relevant to the Ioniq, now in fairness it was the first week Hyundai had the cars in dealers when I visited by my local dealer but he didn't know the FCP in the area wouldn't charge an Ioniq, the increased range on the cars will help reduce the impact in the future but for now the lack of CCS chargers and the lack of investment in the infrastructure is very relevant.

However the biggest issue I see for the Ioniq is the depreciation on the current model when the larger battery models are released, I would like to hope that Hyundai will look after early Ioniq adopters better than Nissan is with 24kw owners but it is only a hope!

BTW, if you're on FB the two EV groups are worth joining.

Prepare for some fun when you do join them, including loads of photos of cars at chargers, including those of EVs actually still charging but the owner isn't sitting in it :rolleyes:

Villain wrote: »
    Prepare for some fun when you do join them, including loads of photos of cars at chargers, including those of EVs actually still charging but the owner isn't sitting in it :rolleyes:

True, but there is some good stuff in there among the noise.

If you have no charger at your destination your effective range is only half as you have to get back again. Means the northwest of Ireland is essentially off bounds.

Even though it has longer range than the Leaf, you can still go further in the Leaf.

Any half decent town has a 22 Kw Dual outlet AC charge point or two. No major deal if you don't need to return very quickly as I expect most people won't.

When I'm going on longer trips I use the AC points, the 6.6 Kw in the leaf means no waiting at fast chargers for a lot of my driving. Unless of course there are no AC points within a convenient distance of where I need to go. But that isn't a common situation for me.

• Advertisement

Good man, welcome to the world of EV motoring, and to think of all the flack you gave me when I first brought up Electrics in the motors section of boards you O'l Divil you and look at you now !!! ;)

Are we going to ignore the public type 2 chargers that exist?

I'm not sure there are many people going to drive from Dublin to the Northwest and only stay for 30 mins.

Exactly !

See an example of the Crazy that goes on https://www.facebook.com/groups/IEVOA/permalink/1791761911065089/

Just to be clear to those who might be bullied by others, you are entitled to charge to 100% at ANY charger don't let anyone tell you otherwise.

Good man, welcome to the world of EV motoring, and to think of all the flack you gave me when I first brought up Electrics in the motors section of boards you O'l Divil you and look at you now !!! ;)

Old Chinese saying: innovator pays price, early adopter gets worm :p

It will be a long time before the ESB install greater than 45 Kw chargers in Ireland, probably a long time before they install chargers again at all. The Network in Ireland has reached a dead end and the Government have done nothing.

VW will be spending 14 or so Billion in installing chargers in the U.S or most likely they will be finding it as punishment for the emissions scandal. And I suspect this will be their target area for electric cars while they continue to sell their filthy diesel TDI dirt in Europe.

See an example of the Crazy that goes on https://www.facebook.com/groups/IEVOA/permalink/1791761911065089/

Just to be clear to those who might be bullied by others, you are entitled to charge to 100% at ANY charger don't let anyone tell you otherwise.

Plenty of people in there with the same view as you (myself included) though.

There was worse! But it's still a good resource. And one of the main peeps speaks the same first language as unkel :)

• Advertisement

Old Chinese saying: innovator pays price, early adopter gets worm :p

It's a good day for me to think that you who were so opposed to electrics has decided to buy one, anyway good luck with it.

I might be on for a drag race if you live close ?

You're in Kildare? Why not. It will only cost me €0.10 to drive over to ya and back. Maybe another €0.02 for the drag race :p

Yes down nearly in Carlow, way down mate.

I'm free (ish) at the weekend. Otherwise I work near Lucan could meet up when I'm on nights next Thursday - Sunday.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 23,019 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

Cool unkel. In addition to your drag race, any chance you fancy taking a road trip down to Cork too and giving us a trip report? :D

I'd love to see a real world trip report for this journey with a to b time.

Seems like a seriously cool car with some very nice tech gadgets too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,582 ✭✭✭Padraig Mor

Well done Unkel - I reckon that's about 14 cylinders and 7 litres of engine between us that we've changed to electric from!

• Advertisement

Doesn't look like I'll get the Ioniq test drive next week, pity, seems they're waiting for paperwork to go through to get the plates on or grant or whatever. And I can't drive it without plates.

Well done Unkel - I reckon that's about 14 cylinders and 7 litres of engine between us that we've changed to electric from!

That's a bit depressing. My last family cars had V8, V8, I6, I4 turbo (recession), I6 and V6 petrol engines. Goodbye to an era :(

Still have a roaring flat 6 sports car though. Old skool manual hard work gear box and no drivers aids. Yeah!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,509 ✭✭✭Donnelly117

Was it a 7 series or something you were coming from?
    Can you share what kind of a deal you got on it? I'll probably go EV myself for my next car, I'll hang onto the FiST another year it two though so I don't lose me arse on it haha!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,928 ✭✭✭Soarer

Well wear fella.

Did you do the scrappage deal?

Just wait for the inevitable announcement of a 40 kWh Ioniq 2 weeks after you take delivery! ;)

Yep, I was wrong before expecting you'd get the same cash deal if you didn't have a car for the scrappage scheme (I don't think they'll actually scrap the cars. Otherwise many dealers wouldn't have asked me details about it, or wanted to have a look at it). Hyundai Ireland seems to insist on a car coming in.

And yes, this is a moving game. Soon there will be a better EV for the same, or only slightly more money. The Tesla Model 3 will probably p1ss all over the Ioniq next year.

Doesn't worry me. Progress is good. Nice times to be alive :)

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 8,061 Mod ✭✭✭✭liamog

Just popped our charging cherry on the Ioniq. Still no card so a quick call to the ESB to activate the charger.
    Ours is the black model which looks amazing. Charged from 19% to 94% in 34 mins at the fast charge point in Blanch.

No home charger due to on-street charging so will be a combo for Fast/Slow chargers for us.

Changed the Lane Keep Assist to Advanced mode, the car helps to centre the lane when it picks it up.
    We've some longer journeys planned for the weekend, though not the cross country trips that people seem so worked up about CCS for.

Need to wait till Saturday to get some good pics :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,944 ✭✭✭Bigus

I don't think the Tesla model 3 is going to be that far ahead of the Ioniq, especially when cost price is taken into account.

As I said previously if the Ioniq was a Tesla , it'd be Top news worldwide and a game changer, good choice methinks.

Just popped our charging cherry on the Ioniq. Still no card so a quick call to the ESB to activate the charger.
    Ours is the black model which looks amazing. Charged from 19% to 94% in 34 mins at the fast charge point in Blanch.

No home charger due to on-street charging so will be a combo for Fast/Slow chargers for us.

Changed the Lane Keep Assist to Advanced mode, the car helps to centre the lane when it picks it up.
    We've some longer journeys planned for the weekend, though not the cross country trips that people seem so worked up about CCS for.

Any old RFID card should work to get the charger started.

Do you mean to stay no home charger because of on street parking?

Wow it really must have made an impression in you.

So this drag race...can we get a full EV grid going? We can even let Villain enter his Megane GT

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 8,061 Mod ✭✭✭✭liamog

s.welstead wrote: »
    Any old RFID card should work to get the charger started.

Do you mean to stay no home charger because of on street parking?

We've parking about 2m away from the front of the house, not dedicated but 99% of the time we can park there. Unfortunately the gap is a pavement.

I've been working with management company on options, at the moment we're probably going to go with heavy duty cable covers like you'd see at music festivals. ESB will supply the charger but won't fit it for us.

AMAZON

If we're ever going to get to double digit percentages off EV penetration we're going to have to solve the no home charging problem.

Will have to try the Leap Card next time :D

• Advertisement

We've parking about 2m away from the front of the house, not dedicated but 99% of the time we can park there. Unfortunately the gap is a pavement.

I've been working with management company on options, at the moment we're probably going to go with heavy duty cable covers like you'd see at music festivals. ESB will supply the charger but won't fit it for us.

AMAZON

If we're ever going to get to double digit percentages off EV penetration we're going to have to solve the no home charging problem.

I know an EV owner who got charger in small pole with cable put into footpath, took a while for Council to agree but they did

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,928 ✭✭✭Soarer

Ours is the black model which looks amazing.

Black car with black grille?

@liamog @unkel. So is the price the price? Ie. The RRP on the site, less €4k scrappage, plus delivery, plus metallic (if required)? Is there any haggling to be done? Any extras to be added? Do you have to go PCP to get the scrappage?

Also, do they show you your colour combination on the computer or whatever before you commit?

s.welstead wrote: »
    Wow it really must have made an impression in you.

So this drag race...can we get a full EV grid going? We can even let Villain enter his Megane GT

Am I allowed use my launch control? :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,553 ✭✭✭Fiery mutant

So just done my first overnight charge, 12% to full. Just calculated the cost, which was €4.38.

Bearing in mind I'm not on a night tariff, which I'll probably switch over to soon.

We should defend our way of life to an extent that any attempt on it is crushed, so that any adversary will never make such an attempt in the future.

AMAZON

Example of what I mentioned 406905.JPG

Soarer wrote: »
    @unkel. So is the price the price? Ie. The RRP on the site, less €4k scrappage, plus delivery, plus metallic (if required)? Is there any haggling to be done?

The dealers will tell you there is no room to haggle, but of course there is. Because of the €4k scrappage we are obviously not talking thousands here though.
    Any extras to be added?

No, the car comes fully loaded. The only extra for me was metallic paint
    Do you have to go PCP to get the scrappage?

No. Pay yourself or finance it, both get scrappage. The dealers claim the scrappage is coming to an end on 31/01/2017 though
    do they show you your colour combination on the computer or whatever before you commit?

No, there is a brochure with the available colours and they should have a stand in the showroom with samples of all available Hyundai colours

I was going to go for Aurora Silver metallic, but had not seen it on a car in the flesh. I chickened out in the end and went for the more conservative "standard" Platinum Silver metallic

Excellent stuff, well wear. Hopefully 2017 will be a good year for electrics.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,327 ✭✭✭highdef

Looks like an excellent purchase, Unkel and thank you for the great review.

When the larger capacity battery becomes available, switching from the Leaf is looking quite likely unless Nissan bring out a decent Leaf beforehand. As there is only one spec of Ioniq at the moment, can I assume that leather is not an option? The Leaf we have at the moment has leather and it's a must have as we have a dog. If leather is not offered in the Ioniq, then it's a thumbs down.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,808 ✭✭✭✭Water John

The dog gets to pick the car you get. Smart dog, go for comfort all the way.

• Advertisement

I'm not sure tbh, highdef. They have two packages in the UK and leather is standard on the highest package (and electric seats and heated seats in the back). Maybe someone else can tell you if it's an option here and how much it is.

My last 10 cars or so have had leathe and I always thought it was important particularly when my kids were young, but that said, only one of them ever vomited in the car and it went straight to the carpet on the floor, missing the leather seats altogether :o

I suppose with a dog it's different. Although I would be hesitant to fork out a grand for leather just for my dog, I think :p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,327 ✭✭✭highdef

Water John wrote: »
    The dog gets to pick the car you get. Smart dog, go for comfort all the way.

She's well spoiled! In reality, it makes cleaning and keeping the car cleaner so much easier. I'm sure she'd prefer cloth :P

I know an EV owner who got charger in small pole with cable put into footpath, took a while for Council to agree but they did

That's cool, means I may have something to use as precedent.

Longer term I'm thinking of installing one of the Rolec StreetServ poles.
    It's around twice the price and I'd need to get a proper contractor in to do the work.

https://www.midselec.co.uk/rolec-ev-streetserv-iec-plug-charging-post-c-w-rounded-top-32a.html

• Registered Users Posts: 603 ✭✭✭kave2

There are 2 specs in UK. Premium and premium SE.
    I think we have the premium one here in Ireland.
    With SE you get electric leather seats with memory, heated and ventilated. Blind spot monitoring, rear traffic control, front parking sensors... Much higher spec...

That's normal, every car in here gets poorer spec than the ones in UK and continental Europe. And don't get me started on engine, gearbox options..

I know it was posted before and I didn't pay much attention to it. But this deserves attention. Fully recorded real life drive (not theoretical, not on some test track in perfect conditions) in an Ioniq EV in and around Seoul, South Korea. A city with over 10 million people. As you can see it is mainly fairly busy city highways and the average speed is not high (about 50km/h), but what is astonishing is that they drive the car on a single charge and the low battery warning doesn't even come on until after 348km (216 miles) :eek:

They stop the car soon after, but I can imagine it had another good few km in it (not a good idea to drive your EV until the battery runs out completely)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,138 ✭✭✭✭KCross

I know it was posted before and I didn't pay much attention to it. But this deserves attention. Fully recorded real life drive (not theoretical, not on some test track in perfect conditions) in an Ioniq EV in and around Seoul, South Korea. A city with over 10 million people. As you can see it is mainly fairly busy city highways and the average speed is not high (about 50km/h), but what is astonishing is that they drive the car on a single charge and the low battery warning doesn't even come on until after 348km (216 miles) :eek:

They stop the car soon after, but I can imagine it had another good few km in it (not a good idea to drive your EV until the battery runs out completely)

I think you are in love with your new motor! :)
    Well wear btw!

I watched some of that video before and what I'd like to see is if you drive a 30kWh Leaf on the same journey. Better still if they did it together it would show a real world comparison. Averaging 50kmh and probably babysitting it is really eeking out the best from the car (which is fine) but I think to be fair to the competition they should do a fair comparison.

Ioniq would still win but I'd like to know by how much.

• Advertisement

It will be interesting to hear what you actually get unkel, based on my experience in a 24kw Leaf I would be shocked if you managed more than 200km outside of city driving.

Comparisons in real life are king! Must check out that Czech comparison test in detail, skipped over it when it was posted here first.

To be fair the few times over the years that I have checked my average speed on my board computers in several cars that I have had, my average was always well below 50km/h. And I like my speed, and going a tiny* bit over the posted speed limits on motorways :pac:

I guess that is the reality of driving in and around big cities.

*might be a bit more than tiny

I'm no eco driver and I don't intend to become one. Full throttle from every traffic light, that is my intention with the Ioniq! And no slowing down on motorways either, bar maybe very occasionally when I need to reach a destination without wanting to charge or without being able to charge

• Registered Users Posts: 945 ✭✭✭Jakey Rolling

Seriously giving the Ionic consideration - would be trading in an 09 Golf 1.9TDi.
    Commute is 40km each way, occasional trip up to Dublin, about 180km.

Can anyone tell me does the Ionic come with adaptor to charge from normal household socket, as standard? We have external mains sockets, can easily put another off the garage on it's own breaker, until such time as we get and ESB charge point installed.

Also, anyone know offhand if the HSE (employer) have any programme to install chargers at their sites?

Confused about the €5000 scrappage offer - how does this work if your trade in is worth €8000?

100412.2526@compuserve.com

Can anyone tell me does the Ionic come with adaptor to charge from normal household socket, as standard?

Yes it does. It's called a "Granny cable". Plug it into any standard socket in or around your house. Charging from empty to full will take about 12 hours with it though.
    Confused about the €5000 scrappage offer - how does this work if your trade in is worth €8000?

It's actually a €4000 scrappage offer. In my case, my car is only worth a tiny fraction of that. In your case, I'm not sure how it works out. As with buying any new car, don't expect top dollar for it though. Ring the dealer and tell us here what they are saying. Could possibly be worth your while selling your Golf privately and buying a banger to use in the scrappage scheme. But check the terms & conditions. I was told different things by different dealers. Some of them didn't care about my "scrappage" car, others wanted to see it and / or wanted to know details of it and whether it was taxed / NCTd and what not.

Comparisons in real life are king! Must check out that Czech comparison test in detail, skipped over it when it was posted here first.

To be fair the few times over the years that I have checked my average speed on my board computers in several cars that I have had, my average was always well below 50km/h. And I like my speed, and going a tiny* bit over the posted speed limits on motorways :pac:

I guess that is the reality of driving in and around big cities.

*might be a bit more than tiny

I'm no eco driver and I don't intend to become one. Full throttle from every traffic light, that is my intention with the Ioniq! And no slowing down on motorways either, bar maybe very occasionally when I need to reach a destination without wanting to charge or without being able to charge

An EV isn't much difference to an ICE in that pushing the power off the mark and breaking and accelerating hard will consume more power, now you do get regen but it doesn't make up for the power consumed when accelerating hard.

The ECO mode on the Leaf suppresses that and keeps power back unless you flatten the pedal but also makes it a boring drive :D

I would be shocked if Hyundai dealers were getting 180km to 200km and telling people that if the reality is actualy much higher.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement