Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Hyundai Ioniq 28kWh

Comments

• Moderators Posts: 12,385 ✭✭✭✭Black_Knight

Uriel. wrote: »
    Picked up my new (to me) ioniq hev from UK today. Got the premium SE spec so has lots of nice gadgets. The adaptive cruise control is amazing. Had a 110 mile motorway trip to the port and it was the easiest driving I've ever done.

Someones going on the list! :D

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,406 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

electricautos.ie have a red Premium SE (higher spec from the UK) up on facebook for those that are still in the market. No price on the post I saw though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,958 ✭✭✭✭Shefwedfan

Mickeroo wrote: »
    electricautos.ie have a red Premium SE (higher spec from the UK) up on facebook for those that are still in the market. No price on the post I saw though.

It was import to order.....

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,406 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

Well then.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 65,741 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

Cheapest Ioniq Electric on AutoTrader is now £23k. Jesus.

unkel wrote: »
    Cheapest Ioniq Electric on AutoTrader is now £23k. Jesus.

What's a typical premium you'd pay for an SE Vs an Irish spec?

• Registered Users Posts: 111 ✭✭jeremy_g

AFAIK the Irish spec is the UK SE, we don't have the Premium SE though.

Just back from my 2nd test drive of a 2nd Ioniq. This time I put it in sport mode. Quite nice! Very punchy.

Overall happy with the car, but for 1 issue! A screeching/metal on metal noise at low speeds. Either when accelerating, or lightly braking. I had VESS turned off at the time, so it wasn't that "futuristic" drone noise.

I've 2 theories. Regen braking is causing something to rub up against something else, or a stone stuck somewhere.
    I assume other Ioniq owners don't have this issue?
    jeremy_g wrote: »

Ah. That's what I meant.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,819 ✭✭✭Silent Running

jeremy_g wrote: »

Other way round. The UK spec is Premium or Premium SE, the Irish spec is Premium.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 827 ✭✭✭Round Cable

Not sure about the front of the 2020 Ioniq refresh, I do like 10kWh bigger battery and 100kW fast charging though.

https://www.carscoops.com/2019/05/2020-hyundai-ioniq-family-gains-design-and-tech-updates-bigger-battery-for-ev/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,136 ✭✭✭✭KCross

Not sure about the front of the 2020 Ioniq refresh, I do like 10kWh bigger battery and 100kW fast charging though.

The DC charging doesnt seem to be any faster than the existing Ioniq as the times they give to charge from 0-80% on a 50kW charger (57mins) and 100kW charger (54mins) is practically the same... that suggests its the same as the current Ioniq.... 70kW max but early tapering... or maybe its a typo in their press release.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,822 ✭✭✭Old diesel

Theres a mistake in the charging.

The 54 mins is actually slow for a 50 kw charger. An L40 when NOT rapidgating would beat that.

Edit - yet the article links the 54 mins to a 100 kw charger.

Note too that for a bigger 50 kwh e208 at 100 kw Peugeot claim 30 mins to 80 percent

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,644 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

Would have loved to see all led or tube lighting including indicators on the rear....

App support is a good addition, don't see why they can't add that to the existing one though.

Not too gone on the rework to the front but will hold judgement until I see the other colours. It's an improvement on the existing grey for sure, conversely I think the current hybrid version is nicer looking than the rework though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,912 ✭✭✭Mike9832

Old diesel wrote: »

The 54 mins is actually slow for a 50 kw charger. An L40 when NOT rapidgating would beat that.

Note too that for a bigger 50 kwh e208 at 100 kw Peugeot claim 30 mins to 80 percent

Seems to be the same battery and motor as Kona 39kWh

Which for an efficient Ioniq is alot of range

Be like having 50kWh in a Leaf/Kona etc

Acceleration improved too with 20bhp more to 138bhp

Charge speed to 54 mins is pretty crap,but if price is right

I like it, a poor man's Tesla

hyundai-kona-electric-infographic.jpg.webp

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 619 ✭✭✭slicedpanman

Thierry you're muddying the waters by including a Kona graphic in your ioniq post :D

Mike9832 wrote: »

Seems to be the same battery and motor as Kona 39kWh

Which for an efficient Ioniq is alot of range

Be like having 50kWh in a Leaf/Kona etc

Charge speed to 54 mins is pretty crap,but if price is right

I like it, a poor man's Tesla

hyundai-kona-electric-infographic.jpg.webp

It's possible that the real world time is superior then 54 minutes but that Hyundai have built in some slack for cold battery temps and the like.

I hope so.

Seems they copying the Kona look of the front grill, though the Kona front grill is colour coded. IMO, the current ugly grill is more appealing, due to the nice sleek look when it's wrapped black.

Wrapping that new one looks more difficult, due to those Xs all over it (the look recessed).

The 10.25-inch display looks like zero thought was put into how it would sit on the dash. Same story with the Kona IMO. Just this thing poking out of the dash.

The Ioniq PHEV will probably be able to go the same distance as a Leaf 1 on battery.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,081 ✭✭✭fricatus

https://www.carscoops.com/2019/05/2020-hyundai-ioniq-family-gains-design-and-tech-updates-bigger-battery-for-ev/

Try wrapping that, Unkel! :D

LOL yeah that was my first thought :D

If only it was colour coded like Kona, that would be a lot less offensive :(

Acceleration is not about bhp dude, how many times do we have to explain that to you? ;)

How the hell do you think a 118bhp 1420kg car can do 0-60 in a touch over 8s? It's all about the torque, about the torque, no power :D

Torque is the same in 2020 Ioniq, so I expect acceleration to be the same too

It will have more pick up at higher speeds which is helpful as it is a bit of a weak point in 2016 Ioniq

Acceleration is not about bhp dude, how many times do we have to explain that to you? ;)

How the hell do you think a 118bhp 1420kg car can do 0-60 in a touch over 8s? It's all about the torque, about the torque, no power :D

Torque is the same in 2020 Ioniq, so I expect acceleration to be the same too

It will have more pick up at higher speeds which is helpful as it is a bit of a weak point in 2016 Ioniq

It doesn't do 8s

Closer to 10

No one cares about 0-60

Acceleration past 60 on the new Ioniq will we much quicker thanks to that 20bhp, don't see your point

V10 F1 cars have less torque than your Ioniq, what accelerates faster :)

Power to weight is all that matters in pure racing performance

It is 8s, I've posted independent comparison site many times, you chose to ignore it. I won't bother posting it again. My Porsche does 6s, but it's a manual and I would be off the line slower than Ioniq and I would have to abuse the clutch to beat the Ioniq to about 70km/h. After that Ioniq is left for dead. That's what happens when you only have 118bhp.
    No one cares about 0-60

I care very much about how quick a car is away from the lights. Say 0-80km/h. And how you can throw a car quickly into a gap in the traffic or across a roundabout. With just a brief determined press down on the accelerator. I have had many performance cars (3 V8 petrols amongst them) and none of them can do this like an EV

Some call it a party trick of EVs, for me high torque at idle is crucial. I've been banging on about it for decades.

It doesn't do 8s

Closer to 10

No one cares about 0-60

You never shut up about your 5 second car or something like that you seen on the tv....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

Please keep it civil

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,236 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

It is 8s, I've posted independent comparison site many times, you chose to ignore it. I won't bother posting it again. My Porsche does 6s, but it's a manual and I would be off the line slower than Ioniq and I would have to abuse the clutch to beat the Ioniq to about 70km/h. After that Ioniq is left for dead. That's what happens when you only have 118bhp.

I care very much about how quick a car is away from the lights. Say 0-80km/h. And how you can throw a car quickly into a gap in the traffic or across a roundabout. With just a brief determined press down on the accelerator. I have had many performance cars (3 V8 petrols amongst them) and none of them can do this like an EV

Some call it a party trick of EVs, for me high torque at idle is crucial. I've been banging on about it for decades.

+1
    I'm now in a 535d after my ioniq and I've said a couple of times there's a blip before the power kicks in in my bimmer vs the Ioniq, and I'd say the Ioniq would be quicker to 15km/h. I never timed the Ioniq but 8s 0-60(mph) sounds about right. The 535d is hovering just below 6 (and that's a car that, like the Ioniq, is more about the ft/lb than then bhp)

ELM327 wrote: »
    +1
    I'm now in a 535d after my ioniq and I've said a couple of times there's a blip before the power kicks in in my bimmer vs the Ioniq, and I'd say the Ioniq would be quicker to 15km/h. I never timed the Ioniq but 8s 0-60(mph) sounds about right. The 535d is hovering just below 6 (and that's a car that, like the Ioniq, is more about the ft/lb than then bhp)

Every vid on Youtube is in the 9-10 secs for Ioniq

Have asked Unkel many times to show me video proof of 8 secs, never does, always that one link

Plenty of apps can do this now, so could easily test it himself to prove me wrong

Shefwedfan wrote: »
    The Ioniq PHEV will probably be able to go the same distance as a Leaf 1 on battery.

Has the 2020 got a battery upgrade from 8.9kWh?

Some are getting 60km range out of current one

• Registered Users Posts: 3,799 ✭✭✭KELTICKNIGHTT

Hey guys
    Does anyone here drive hybrid version that doesn't need Electric charge and works like Toyota Prius.
    What are you getting mpg or kms .what your getting out of tanks
    Cheers

• Advertisement

Hey guys
    Does anyone here drive hybrid version that doesn't need Electric charge and works like Toyota Prius.
    What are you getting mpg or kms .what your getting out of tanks
    Cheers

I don't think any of us have the hybrid Ioniq. Wonderful car, you never have to plug it in and it charges itself, so you never have to fill it up with petrol either.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,936 ✭✭✭ewj1978

True story, I was sat in Belfast last week with a bunch of older (60+ years) folks and one of them said he's thinking of getting a new toyota self charging car.
    Since I had arrived in an EV he asked me what kind of range would he get. When i told him he'd only get 5-6 km on the small battery he was shocked.
    When I enquired why the unhappiness he answered "but I thought you never had to fill it up or plug it in". The rest of the group also thought the same.

I don't think any of us have the hybrid Ioniq. Wonderful car, you never have to plug it in and it charges itself, so you never have to fill it up with petrol either.

Was hoping to compare to Toyota Prius hybrid. Saw a review on honest John and few other reviews

@Kelticnight

The Toyota idea of "self charging" is very misleading.

You "don't need to plug in".

But you DO need to fill up at a petrol station.

Which is fine if you are happy with that but the "self charging" hybrid isn't the EV replacement/alternative Toyota like to imply.

Toyota will imply the Hybrid will spend a higher percentage of its time in "EV mode" but you have to ask why the car will still simply do 50 to 60 mpg

In hybrid - id go Toyota as their set up is built around maximising hybrid.

They also have a long track record in hybrids - ie reliability.

Their marketing of late is somewhat dire - but they are a decent option if you need to do ICE cars.

@Kelticnight

Which is fine if you are happy with that but the "self charging" hybrid isn't the EV replacement/alternative Toyota like to imply.

Toyota will imply the Hybrid will spend a higher percentage of its time in "EV mode" but you have to ask why the car will still simply do 50 to 60 mpg

For me hybrid will save me money in many ways. Have friends who went down the route of hybrid so drive similar daily commute as I do. So I can see I can save . I also borrowed a hybrid for a week from a friend to be double sure using on my daily routine. Full Electric car is not a option at moment for many reasons. Hopefully in time in future then I can go full Electric but not now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,859 ✭✭✭Duckjob

@Kelticnight

Don't know if you follow the Fully Charged Show on YouTube, but Robert Llewellyn did a whole video where he ranted about Toyota's misleading marketing of "self charging" cars. Regen braking by another name.

Duckjob wrote: »
    Don't know if you follow the Fully Charged Show on YouTube, but Robert Llewellyn did a whole video where he ranted about Toyota's misleading marketing of "self charging" cars. Regen braking by another name.

I saw that .I took it with pinch of salt. I would trust people who use similar route to me as it give better picture.
    I listen to Bob Flavin than Robert.
    Robert doe have good YouTube videos.
    Talking to people in trade .they say Toyota is working on something big. Maybe it true or maybe not.
    Battery tech is at very early stages.
    Maybe in next 5 to 10 years be different battery tech

Ya can add me to the list lads! Easy 120k drive home.. sure the car pretty much drives itself.

Granny cable for the rest of the day now (9 hours from 40%)

Ya can add me to the list lads! Easy 120k drive home.. sure the car pretty much drives itself.

Did the noise get fixed in the end or did you just opt to buy a different example????

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,111 ✭✭✭✭listermint

I saw that .I took it with pinch of salt. I would trust people who use similar route to me as it give better picture.
    I listen to Bob Flavin than Robert.
    Robert doe have good YouTube videos.
    Talking to people in trade .they say Toyota is working on something big. Maybe it true or maybe not.
    Battery tech is at very early stages.
    Maybe in next 5 to 10 years be different battery tech

No offence but you've offers little but superlatives to the conversation.

The only thing you should base a purchase on is your personal daily commute and your driving needs.

You should not base it on hearsay about battery tech in a few years. Toyota hearsay or the medical profession of a friend.

Cheers though.

Did the noise get fixed in the end or did you just opt to buy a different example????

They did all their checks, turned up nothing. Seems fine now actually. Maybe a bit of driving (and a little less sitting static in a forecourt) helped it.

Congrats, what ya go for? Was it the white one they had in galway?

Mickeroo wrote: »
    Congrats, what ya go for? Was it the white one they had in galway?

White from waterford. 171. Needs wrapping, but it's 99% spotless. Very happy from my drive home, though the land keep kept bugging me saying im not holding the wheel when I was, just not with a ferocious grip.
    The pull away at roundabouts, lights, and overtaking is fun every time.

The wait for the ESB card and the charger grand is going to be a pain in the ass, especially with the long weekend.

listermint wrote: »
    No offence but you've offers little but superlatives to the conversation.

The only thing you should base a purchase on is your personal daily commute and your driving needs.

You should not base it on hearsay about battery tech in a few years. Toyota hearsay or the medical profession of a friend.

Cheers though.
    No offence .it was general chat
    I already said I go by people I know who do same commute and I also said a friend gave me a loan of there hybrid to help me make my mind up which it did and I said will be hybrid vehicle I get as suits me.
    Your reference makes no sense about medical of a friend and didnt say anything about medical in my comments !!! About a friend or anyone.
    Cheers for input

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,111 ✭✭✭✭listermint

No offence .it was general chat
    I already said I go by people I know who do same commute and I also said a friend gave me a loan of there hybrid to help me make my mind up which it did and I said will be hybrid vehicle I get as suits me.
    Your reference makes no sense about medical of a friend and didnt say anything about medical in my comments !!! About a friend or anyone.
    Cheers for input

Your friends a surgeon ? I suggest reading your posts.

Did someone mention here before about using an extension lead with a granny cable? Something about them melting? Does the extension lead need to be of a certain standard? I'd like to charge move overnight but that'd mean leaving a door or window open

listermint wrote: »
    Your friends a surgeon ? I suggest reading your posts.

Read again . Doesn't say surgeon. Was correct to sure !!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,081 ✭✭✭fricatus

Did someone mention here before about using an extension lead with a granny cable? Something about them melting? Does the extension lead need to be of a certain standard? I'd like to charge move overnight but that'd mean leaving a door or window open

I think I recall that. The comment was to the effect that you had to unroll the extension lead to use it charging a car. If you left it coiled, that portion would overheat and could cause a fire.

• Advertisement

fricatus wrote: »
    I think I recall that. The comment was to the effect that you had to unroll the extension lead to use it charging a car. If you left it coiled, that portion would overheat and could cause a fire.

This is probably the post you're looking for: https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=108883822&postcount=5984

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement