Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Hyundai Ioniq 28kWh

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,819 ✭✭✭Silent Running

Did someone mention here before about using an extension lead with a granny cable? Something about them melting? Does the extension lead need to be of a certain standard? I'd like to charge move overnight but that'd mean leaving a door or window open

If you're using an extension lead it should be heavy enough wire, not a very cheap pound shop one. It needs to be fully uncoiled or it will heat up... a lot. :)

• Moderators Posts: 12,385 ✭✭✭✭Black_Knight

If you're using an extension lead it should be heavy enough wire, not a very cheap pound shop one. It needs to be fully uncoiled or it will heat up... a lot. :)

I don't think I'll trust my Lidl extension lead overnight so. Got up to 70% now. I'll plug it back in in the morning

I don't think I'll trust my Lidl extension lead overnight so. Got up to 70% now. I'll plug it back in in the morning

The Lidl extension is probably fine, once it's fully unrolled. But it's not worth losing sleep worrying about it. :)

The Lidl extension is probably fine, once it's fully unrolled. But it's not worth losing sleep worrying about it. :)

Meh. 70%. Plug it in in the morning. Blitz around in the car tomorrow to show the wife. Plug it back in. 160km round trip on Monday. Be grand.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,496 ✭✭✭irishgrover

Just home from a 780km round trip from Galway to Belfast....I do love my ioniq 😀

• Advertisement

Just home from a 780km round trip from Galway to Belfast....I do love my ioniq ��

I have to agree, it's a brilliant car on a long run. I feel sorry for the owners who won't take the car on a long run because of charging issues around Dublin.

I've taken the car top to bottom and side to side of this country, and side to side of the UK too. I'd happily take it to France, Germany etc. A stress free long distance car in my experience.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,081 ✭✭✭fricatus

I've taken the car top to bottom and side to side of this country, and side to side of the UK too. I'd happily take it to France, Germany etc. A stress free long distance car in my experience.

Well yeah, as long as there are chargers available! TBH, I’m happy going anywhere but Dublin - but the Ionity chargers near Kill should ease my mind.

How did you handle the UK? I might take mine there soon. Did you just use Ecotricity or did you have to sign up to other networks?

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 8,061 Mod ✭✭✭✭liamog

fricatus wrote: »
    Well yeah, as long as there are chargers available! TBH, I’m happy going anywhere but Dublin - but the Ionity chargers near Kill should ease my mind.

How did you handle the UK? I might take mine there soon. Did you just use Ecotricity or did you have to sign up to other networks?

We took the Ioniq through the UK, personally I'd avoid Ecotricity and use zap map to find other chargers.

Ecotricity use older DBT chargers that take an extra 15 mins to charge the Ioniq than standard 50kW chargers.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,253 ✭✭✭✭GreeBo

fricatus wrote: »
    I think I recall that. The comment was to the effect that you had to unroll the extension lead to use it charging a car. If you left it coiled, that portion would overheat and could cause a fire.

Fyi you should always fully open an extension lead and a Hoover lead for that matter!

Registered for the grant, but need the log book to reg for the ESB card. Ugh, this is going to be a painful ~2weeks waiting on the log book. You know the people who set these requirements never once thought about the end user.

• Advertisement
  • Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,406 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

Registered for the grant, but need the log book to reg for the ESB card. Ugh, this is going to be a painful ~2weeks waiting on the log book. You know the people who set these requirements never once thought about the end user.

Download the app ZE pass, you can activate the chargers with it. Plugsurfing might work too. Saves you ringing the esb.

• Registered Users Posts: 128 ✭✭Mupchease

I had my grant done since January misplaced the letter finally sent it on nearly 4 weeks ago. I got an email saying it will be 4/6 weeks wait.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,887 ✭✭✭zg3409

Mickeroo wrote: »

Download the app ZE pass, you can activate the chargers with it. Plugsurfing might work too. Saves you ringing the esb.

Zepass has changed name to Charge my EV. You can start the esb chargers by ringing them until you get your card. You should also download ionity app, and register with easygo.ie and they will send you a fob for free. They have a new app for their chargers in the next few weeks. Plugshare is a good app for finding non esb charge points and for getting feedback on their status. Set up filters to suit the Ioniq such as CCS fast chargers only or type 2 slow chargers. Some Tesla destination slow chargers can charge ioniq too.

ESB picking up phones on weekends/ bank holidays? Guess their number will be on the charger itself

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,406 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

ESB picking up phones on weekends/ bank holidays? Guess their number will be on the charger itself

It's on the charger yeah and it's availabke 24 hours. Never had any issues the few times I had to ring them.

Charge my EV looks interesting. Local CCS charger is in use. I'll head out to it once it says available

Apply for a NI card. No log book needed and it works at all of the chargers. The card comes from the same place. That's what I did when I got the car.

liamog wrote: »
    We took the Ioniq through the UK, personally I'd avoid Ecotricity and use zap map to find other chargers.

Ecotricity use older DBT chargers that take an extra 15 mins to charge the Ioniq than standard 50kW chargers.

It's hard to avoid Ecotricity if you're using the motorway network. They're the only choice in motorway service areas. You have to leave the motorway to use another supplier. I travel the M4 and M25 a lot using Ecotricity chargers. While they aren't ideal in terms of reliability, they'll normally get you there. There's a big CCS gap between Cardiff Gate and Membury services, but before and after is pretty well served with CCS chargers.

By the way, I've pulled into Ecotricity chargers that are marked as out of service on Zap Map and used them without issue.

Got chatting ESB, they told me they no longer require the log book.

They got me going on the fast charger too. Got 90something % battery, until a leaf arrived and for some reason or another they knocked me off charging. I think since ESB did it remotely, my session was just active on the charger screen, and Mr. Leaf guy just hit stop (or not, i've no idea what he did) in order to scan his card and get his car charging.

Pure speculation, but as soon as the leaf started charging, I was not charging.

About time I popped up a snap:
    image.png

Needs a wrap, but all in good time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,546 ✭✭✭denismc

Nice looking car, well wear.
    The fast chargers can only handle one car charging at a time so when the Leaf plugged in your charge stopped, most people are courteous enough to wait though, I would be a little pissed if that happened to me.

• Advertisement

denismc wrote: »
    Nice looking car, well wear.
    The fast chargers can only handle one car charging at a time so when the Leaf plugged in your charge stopped, most people are courteous enough to wait though, I would be a little pissed if that happened to me.

Ah, I thought it would of acted like the current charging car gets priority, no?
    That's a bit crappy from ecars, and yeah, pretty crap from the guy who plugged in, though im sure ignorance played a big part on his behalf. Sure I didn't even know.

Loving the car so far. Any know what the EV equivalent of "smiles per gallon" is?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,887 ✭✭✭zg3409

I thought it would of acted like the current charging car gets priority, no?

It is supposed to work that way. On most triple chargers if CCS is charging then Chademo is not possible until CCS stops. However some chargers seem to glitch and switch over. I would have thought chademo should not even be an option when CCS is in use, but it seems to allow it. The general best practice is to stay with your car if you really need the charge as others can also cut you off with the emergency stop button, which is supposed to only be used in an emergency. You should use the card that started the charge to stop the charge.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,227 ✭✭✭Kramer

Got 90something % battery, until a leaf arrived

Stopped at 90 something percent.....
    94% perhaps?

Ioniq automatically stops charging at 94% on a fast charger..............maybe you were expecting it to go to 100% & are others are now blaming the Leaf driver erroneously?

Well wear by the way, nice car the Ioniq so I hear :).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 65,741 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

That's a bit crappy from ecars, and yeah, pretty crap from the guy who plugged in

Not eCars fault this time. It's the fault of the Efacec chargers. Their reliability is pretty brutal now many of them are a good few years old. Loads of issues with the card reader too, and Efacec engineers flown in from Portugal to solve problems have been unable to fix them in the past, leaving the busiest fast charging point in the country out of action for months last year

And the other guy who plugged in was probably another ignorant fecker who didn't even realise his plugging in would stop your charge. Mind, you were at 90%, you should really have unplugged already when there was another EV coming in sight ;)

Well wear on your Ioniq, it looks mighty clean :)

Will you do the honours, read through the last few pages of this thread and do up a new owners list, yourself included? I guess we are hitting 50 boardsie Ionig EV owners now!

My own car is 25 months old now, about 32k km done with zero issues. Booked in for its second service on Tuesday.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 473 ✭✭The pigeon man

unkel wrote: »
    My own car is 25 months old now, about 32k km done with zero issues. Booked in for its second service on Tuesday.

I looked it up online it seems more like an inspection than a service. They change the pollen filter, break fluid, give it a wash and vacuum for €130.

It seems more like a money racket to me having a yearly service. There doesn't seem to be any real "maintenance" to be done.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 8,061 Mod ✭✭✭✭liamog

I looked it up online it seems more like an inspection than a service. They change the pollen filter, break fluid, give it a wash and vacuum for €130.

It seems more like a money racket to me having a yearly service. There doesn't seem to be any real "maintenance" to be done.

The yearly/15,000km Ioniq service interval is probably as much about collecting fleet data as maintaining the car.

I'm paying €0.00 for it :)

Same as last year when my car got its first "service"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 473 ✭✭The pigeon man

No harm so. It's a lovely car, I'm looking forward to see the 2020 model. I think it'll be a big seller once the price is right.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,546 ✭✭✭denismc

I have been quoted 130 euro as well, just wondering if your warranty is void if you son't service it?

And the other guy who plugged in was probably another ignorant fecker who didn't even realise his plugging in would stop your charge. Mind, you were at 90%, you should really have unplugged already when there was another EV coming in sight ;)

Well wear on your Ioniq, it looks mighty clean :)

Will you do the honours, read through the last few pages of this thread and do up a new owners list, yourself included? I guess we are hitting 50 boardsie Ionig EV owners now!

My own ignorance played a part. Didn't know only 1 could charge at a time. I'm a wiser man now.

Possibly was at 94% when he arrived and the timing was just coincidence.

denismc wrote: »
    I have been quoted 130 euro as well, just wondering if your warranty is void if you son't service it?

Yup, Hyundai quoted me the same. Not for another year though.

I spent 50 on the 1st service and 70 on the second... I'm due the 3rd quite shortly.... (Hyundai Limerick)...

Are the stock tyres on the Ioniq run flats does anyone know?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,236 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

Mine were not

• Advertisement

in terms of servicing, can anyone confirm what the latest map/software/firmware versions should be?
    Also do the functionality I've seen fro mupdates in the UK, with charger startus built in, work with any irish chargers?
    thanks

in terms of servicing, can anyone confirm what the latest map/software/firmware versions should be?
    Also do the functionality I've seen fro mupdates in the UK, with charger startus built in, work with any irish chargers?
    thanks

Mine was updated 2 days ago during the cars second service. I'll take a pic of the settings later and I'll post it up. Haven't looked at the chargers on the maps yet.

I thought Silent Running said the live status works when they got theirs updated when I was asking before (think it was them anyway).

Hyundai Galway didn't bother to update mine before I picked up the car n Feb :rolleyes: My fault for not telling them I suppose but would have expected it to be standard procedure on a brand new car to update that stuff before collection...

Hyundai Galway didn't bother to update mine before I picked up the car n Feb :rolleyes: My fault for not telling them I suppose but would have expected it to be standard procedure on a brand new car to update that stuff before collection...

Just go to your local Hyundai dealer and demand it be done under warranty. The way to do that is look up what the latest version is supposed to have fixed, then go to your dealer complaining about the fault and telling them that the update will fix the problem. Warranty fix :D

Latest software and map versions:

479834.jpg

All the charge points including fast chargers now included so it seems:

479832.jpg

You can see the live traffic, but I don't think there's a live status on the chargers:

479833.jpg

479835.jpg

As can be expected, the CHAdeMO chargers that have recently been replaced with triple head ones, like the one at Newland's cross, are still only in as CHAdeMO

Still, a nice update :)

• Advertisement

Does Android auto work wirelessly in the Ioniq?

I don't have a wireless charging phone at the moment, but having one, and still having to connect the phone via USB for android Auto would kinda suck.

I don't have a wireless charging phone at the moment, but having one, and still having to connect the phone via USB for android Auto would kinda suck.

No you need a cable. I didn't think there was such a thing as android auto wireless anyway, or at least not until very recently.

it does kinda suck....I don't even have wireless charging and I still find it sucky...(it illogical)

Is there any logic to the software/firmware/maps version numbers?

Mine don't match Unkles, and I asked the dealer to make sure it had all the latest updates and they said yes (lied as they usually do).

5I4TA.png

Jaysus that's the original software from 2016 :p

That dealer was pretty incompetent and so were the other dealers where the car was serviced...

Yeah, strange that it was never updated. That'll have the old memory loss glitches too.

I thought Silent Running said the live status works when they got theirs updated when I was asking before (think it was them anyway).

Just saw this now.

The live status is definitely there in the software. The unit needs to be connected (tethered) to t'internet to download the live file. I can't remember if/how well it works though. I don't use it. :o

I was live alright (see the updated traffic info) tethered to my phone. Didn't see anything to indicate the chargers had live info on them (as in occupied or not), but maybe I missed something.
    No you need a cable. I didn't think there was such a thing as android auto wireless anyway, or at least not until very recently.

Android Auto wireless exists alright. It's part of the latest version of Android. If you have say a Google Pixel 3 or a Samsung S10, it came with it. If you have a S9 or S8 you should have got it OTA by now. Problem is that no car presently available has the hardware built in afaik.

Nearly all my phones have been wireless charging since about 2012 and I have no intention to ever plug my phone in again for anything, so I don't use Android Auto in Ioniq. I obviously do use the wireless charger. A brilliant standard spec feature on a budget 2016 car, well done Hyundai!

I was live alright (see the updated traffic info) tethered to my phone. Didn't see anything to indicate the chargers had live info on them (as in occupied or not), but maybe I missed something.

It's been a while since I played with it. Did you download a file when in the list of chargers. I think there was a button on the top right of the screen somewhere. I'll check next time I'm in the car.

Off to do a city centre run return trip now, I'll have another look when at traffic lights :p

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement