Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Hyundai Ioniq 28kWh

Comments

• Moderators Posts: 12,385 ✭✭✭✭Black_Knight

unkel wrote: »
    Jaysus that's the original software from 2016 :p

That dealer was pretty incompetent and so were the other dealers where the car was serviced...

FFS. That's pretty ****ty of them!

The dealer I bought off is 100km+ away. I'll be going to my local to get them to update it. Any fuss and i'll be getting the guy I bought off of to sort it out

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 65,741 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

FFS. That's pretty ****ty of them!

Probably just ignorance. When is the next service due on your car (what month was it registered, what km are on it and in what month / what km was the last service)?

Probably just ignorance. When is the next service due on your car (what month was it registered, what km are on it and in what month / what km was the last service)?

Just service, not to be serviced for another 15k (or May next year).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,136 ✭✭✭✭KCross

Just service, not to be serviced for another 15k (or May next year).

Just take it back and tell them you know it wasnt done and to cop themselves on!

Just service

By the Hyundai dealer you bought it from then?

I'd ring your local dealer, say that the charge settings keep disappearing and that you were told it's a warranty fix (software update). This is all 100% true and the warranty is pan-European. They should update the software free of charge under warranty.

Could take a few hours to run and don't expect a free replacement car while you wait for your free service :p Just have some free coffee instead and bring your phone / work laptop...

By the Hyundai dealer you bought it from then?

I'd ring your local dealer, say that the charge settings keep disappearing and that you were told it's a warranty fix (software update). This is all 100% true and the warranty is pan-European. They should update the software free of charge under warranty.

Could take a few hours to run and don't expect a free replacement car while you wait for your free service :p Just have some free coffee instead and bring your phone / work laptop...

I've not discovered these yet. Is this the settings to schedule your charging at night etc?

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,406 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

I've not discovered these yet. Is this the settings to schedule your charging at night etc?

Yeah, you can set it to precondition the car too and also set your night rate hours.

Hit the EV button and you should see an option for charge/schedule settings.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,546 ✭✭✭denismc

Just had my car serviced and it looks like they didn't upgrade the firmware or maps either, is it such a big deal to this? I'm guessing there are some large files involved that the dealers couldn't be bothered downloading.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,061 ✭✭✭Uriel.

Is it possible to update the firmware and maps etc yourself or does it need to be done by the dealership?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,819 ✭✭✭Silent Running

Typically the dealers are clueless. There are large files to download, and they download them from a very, very slow Korean server.

When I bought the car last year I was pushing hard that the software was updated to the latest version. I was assured that it would be the latest available... it wasn't.

I downloaded the files myself and updated the operating system and nav maps. It took about 15 minutes to download the torrent files for this and took 10 minutes to install.

The links to the software are upthread somewhere.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,546 ✭✭✭denismc

Typically the dealers are clueless. There are large files to download, and they download them from a very, very slow Korean server.

When I bought the car last year I was pushing hard that the software was updated to the latest version. I was assured that it would be the latest available... it wasn't.

I downloaded the files myself and updated the operating system and nav maps. It took about 15 minutes to download the torrent files for this and took 10 minutes to install.

The links to the software are upthread somewhere.

I think I might try this myself.

denismc wrote: »
    I think I might try this myself.

It's very simple. Download the 2 files, maps and firmware. Have a 32gig SD card to hand. Put the firmware file on the card and put it in the car. You will be asked if you want to update. Touch yes and the car does the rest. It reboots a couple of times.

Now clear the SD and put the maps file on it. Put this in the slot and you're done. There's no installation for the maps.

Yeah I normally do these things myself, I flashed PC motherboards decades ago :D

But with a car under full warranty, why would you? Just prepare, show the dealer the version you want and they can't avoid having to do it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,081 ✭✭✭fricatus

Yeah, what if it goes wrong and you brick it? This can happen even if you're doing everything right - I've done it to enough PCs in my time.

You'd feel a bit sheepish getting the dealership to send out a flatbed and having to admit that you were updating the software from a torrent. Worse, I imagine they'd bill you for the trouble, at least on that occasion. Could you invalidate the warranty altogether?

I wouldn't risk it at this point. By all means do it when they're going for two grand in twelve years' time!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,822 ✭✭✭Old diesel

Doesnt reflect well on Hyundai dealers or Hyundai Ireland* that they would be reluctant to do a task that should be routine.

Yes they may never have done that particular update before but you'd think they would find out how to do it via say Hyundai Ireland.

How much of this is because the EV driver is not driving a nice handy job Tucson that they work on all the time and get to know fairly well?????.

*I accept that it's possible Hyundai Ireland may not always have the info the dealer wants

• Advertisement

fricatus wrote: »
    Yeah, what if it goes wrong and you brick it? This can happen even if you're doing everything right - I've done it to enough PCs in my time.

You'd feel a bit sheepish getting the dealership to send out a flatbed and having to admit that you were updating the software from a torrent. Worse, I imagine they'd bill you for the trouble, at least on that occasion. Could you invalidate the warranty altogether?

I wouldn't risk it at this point. By all means do it when they're going for two grand in twelve years' time!

Call me a risk taker then. I've done these updates twice since I bought the car. As have many other car owners. Some in here have gone one step further and accessed the Android system and loaded apps to run on the head unit.

An argument could be made that the car allows you to install stuff. If it was locked down for dealer access only it would be a different matter. Nobody told me not to tinker with the system. :D

Booked in next week to get everything updated. They'll even drop me off and pick me up from work

Did my first out of range drive yesterday. Cork to Athlone. Left Cork with 206km range, pulled in at Cashel with ~80Km range and topped up to 94% battery.
    Got to my destination (123km) with ~72km range left.

Wasn't impressed with the motorway range (about using 100km of range we had only gone 70km). Was cruising around 124km/hr.
    Turned off the motorway at Thurlas, and with some light traffic the range was much better. <100km/hr for the most part but the range held true.

Certainly not getting near 200km if there's a motorway involved.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,122 ✭✭✭BigAl81

If you want ok motorway range you'll need to keep to 110 kmph or less. Anything over that and you'll kill your range unfortunately.

I did a 100+ kilometer motorway trip and got 12.5kW/100kms efficiency, which gives a range of about 225 kilometers.

The key there was the temperature was 20 degrees. The same trip at 8 degrees a few weeks prior only gave me a range of 160 kilometres!!! Something to be very mindful of and I don't think is discussed enough when talking about EVs. The weather (temperature and wind) can have a huge impact on your cars range.

I saw a post a few pages back about the car beeping when using the self driving if you don't hold the steering wheel tightly enough.

I had thought the same, but it's nothing to do with squeezing the wheel tightly, it's more the car has to feel some resistance to the steering wheel turning.

I think the car does a little check every so often and moves the wheel a little, if there's no resistance to the rotation of the steering wheel, you get the beeps.

With practice I can now just rest 1 finger on the wheel and counter balance the movement so the car knows I'm there.

The first few trips I was squeezing the wheel like I was on a rollercoaster ha ha!

• Advertisement

Another belated reply, there was a post about Spotify not working on Android Auto. It would look like it was playing the music, but you couldn't hear anything. I had the exact same issue about half the time and it was very annoying. First world problem I know!

I found out as I had Spotify open on my laptop, it was actually playing the music there instead!!

Now I close Spotify on my laptop and it's been working great.

I talk to the Google assistant using the button on the steering wheel to play Spotify. If it's still not working for you, I think you could add "... on this phone" to the end of your "play x on Spotify" command and that might help.

BigAl81 wrote: »
    I saw a post a few pages back about the car beeping when using the self driving if you don't hold the steering wheel tightly enough.

I had thought the same, but it's nothing to do with squeezing the wheel tightly, it's more the car has to feel some resistance to the steering wheel turning.

I think the car does a little check every so often and moves the wheel a little, if there's no resistance to the rotation of the steering wheel, you get the beeps.

With practice I can now just rest 1 finger on the wheel and counter balance the movement so the car knows I'm there.

The first few trips I was squeezing the wheel like I was on a rollercoaster ha ha!

There are some good videos of a water bottle doing the job for you :D

Others have made up contraptions with weights and springs. Mad stuff. :D

There are some good videos of a water bottle doing the job for you :D

Others have made up contraptions with weights and springs. Mad stuff. :D

What about actually being in control of the car, like you are supposed to be?

BigAl81 wrote: »
    The weather (temperature and wind) can have a huge impact on your cars range.

A modest 30km/h headwind turns your 110km/h GPS speed into a relative 140km/h GPS speed sometimes without you realising it.

Range down to 140km even in summer in that case...

What about actually being in control of the car, like you are supposed to be?

Same as in a Tesla Autopilot with self driving latest beta (have you seen the clip?). The car does everything, but you are still responsible and you should be able to take over at any time.

Bottle works fine BTW :D

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,406 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

Where do you guys see your actual/GPS speed btw? Are you using an app on your phone or something?

Yep, app on phone. My own measurements on a day in early April with outside temp about 11C iirc were 167km/h GPS speed. Taken on a west bound straight stretch of (my private) motorway and immediately after on the same east bound stretch of motorway. Both measurements the same. Zero wind, zero incline in the road

Several german owners have clocked their car at 171-173km/h GPS speed in warmer temps. All a bit higher than the official figure of 165km/h making the Ioniq the third fastest EV at the time after the Tesla S and X :D

Acceleration is also a good bit faster (in sport mode) than the official figures.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,496 ✭✭✭irishgrover

Certainly not getting near 200km if there's a motorway involved.

Driving at legal motorway limits the ioniq will do around 160.. plus/minus for weather conditions

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 8,061 Mod ✭✭✭✭liamog

I find my range at 125 km/h is a little closer to 170km, I can usually plan on 160km and then plug in with just under 10km showing on the range.

One trick I like to do is use the EV range map on the center console. There are two figures the red is the one shown on the dash, the green is the one I can rely on.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,262 ✭✭✭jusmeig

liamog wrote: »
    I find my range at 125 km/h is a little closer to 170km, I can usually plan on 160km and then plug in with just under 10km showing on the range.

You're a brave man, turtle mode kicks in at 10km. I got it once when I was on back roads, but I literally rolled into Gorey doing 20kph....very scary and not something I'd try again. I leave 30km buffer now, which means about 130 to 140km before a charge.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 98 ✭✭TOLLOT

Has anyone tried a 16 amp portable charger ( granny cable ) and feel confident recommending?
    I see a few places online have them .
    They seem to use those blue outdoor plugs .
    Hoping to get the in-laws to install a 16 amp outdoor socket , find granny very slow , as opposed to asking them to install a Rolec etc
    cheers

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 381 ✭✭sean72

Hi all just wondering has anyone had an issue with there MCB tripping on their fuse board. At the beginning my MCB tripped once or twice in a period of months. The electrician came back to check and all seemed fine. However, now it’s tripping almost every charge session. I’ve called the electrician who is coming back but just wondered what MCB have you guys fitted? There seem to be A,B,C and D versions

Not tripped once in the well over 2 years I have my ABL installed.

What charger have you got?

Not tripped once in the well over 2 years I have my ABL installed.

What charger have you got?

Rolec

• Registered Users Posts: 1,434 ✭✭✭September1

sean72 wrote: »
    Hi all just wondering has anyone had an issue with there MCB tripping on their fuse board. At the beginning my MCB tripped once or twice in a period of months. The electrician came back to check and all seemed fine. However, now it’s tripping almost every charge session. I’ve called the electrician who is coming back but just wondered what MCB have you guys fitted? There seem to be A,B,C and D versions

If you reduce charging current inside car, does it still strip?

What car do you have?

What charge rate is the car charging at? 16A or 32A?

The Rolec has a trip switch of its own inside the flap.... what is written on that... is it B20, D40, etc?

And what is written on the trip switch on your consumer unit?

If the car is a 32A car you should go with a C40 RCBO on your consumer unit.

Booked in next week to get everything updated. They'll even drop me off and pick me up from work

They must be using North Korea servers to download the software. Dropped in at 8.30 this morning and still not ready. :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 111 ✭✭jeremy_g

They must be using North Korea servers to download the software. Dropped in at 8.30 this morning and still not ready. :rolleyes:

IMHO they should have already have that downloaded on their PC/server. this is like you go for service and they say to wait until they get the spanners from the shop :)

Yeah it's weird. Their process seems to be that they download it directly from their South Korean HQ server onto your car. Which is extremely slow (at least several hours)

Surely they should be able to download all software overnight / at the weekend and store it locally?

• Advertisement

Yeah it's weird. Their process seems to be that they download it directly from their South Korean HQ server onto your car. Which is extremely slow (at least several hours)

Surely they should be able to download all software overnight / at the weekend and store it locally?

When I tried to get mine done the guy said he had it on a thumb drive. Maybe he didn't know it was done via the SD card. Or maybe it can be done via the USB socket as well. Either way he couldn't do it, so I did it myself. :cool:

Finally complete. Just took from about 8.40am until 4.20pm. Imagine doing that outside of your warranty!

I didn't really take note of any of the changes. Spotted 1 or 2 new things, but tbh the car is so new to me I may not have noticed them before anyways. :pac:

What car do you have? Hyundai Ioniq 2019

What charge rate is the car charging at? 16A or 32A? 32A

The Rolec has a trip switch of its own inside the flap.... what is written on that... is it B20, D40, etc? C40

And what is written on the trip switch on your consumer unit? C40

September1 wrote: »
    If you reduce charging current inside car, does it still strip?

I've never tried .... I did it tonight but I only needed a small charge (25%) and it didn't trip.

What do the various levels mean? Slower charging ... but what speeds?

If this works I don't mind doing it but some evenings I need a reasonably quick top up so I'd really need to get to the bottom of the tripping

What car do you have? Hyundai Ioniq 2019

What charge rate is the car charging at? 16A or 32A? 32A

The Rolec has a trip switch of its own inside the flap.... what is written on that... is it B20, D40, etc? C40

And what is written on the trip switch on your consumer unit? C40

Doesnt sound like its the trip switch then.

Could be a bad connection inside the charger. Rolec's are prone to loose connections on the incoming feed.

Electrician will have to do more fault finding.

Reducing the charge rate in the car isnt really the solution. You should be able to charge at the full rate without it tripping.

Does it trip almost straight away or is it at randoms times of the charge session?

KCross wrote: »

Does it trip almost straight away or is it at randoms times of the charge session?

It's not usually straight away, I would say its during the first 10% of any charge but its pretty random.

I agree with you that reducing the charging rate isn't a permanent solution but if it means going out in the morning to a fully charged car I might use it for a while for peace of mind until I get it sorted.

I'm no expert on this by any means and although my Electrician is RECI, I think this was his first charger install though, so any direction on where to sniff around first is welcome

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,227 ✭✭✭Kramer

I'm no expert on this by any means and although my Electrician is RECI, I think this was his first charger install though

It's not a charger - the charger is in your car. It's basically just a 32a outdoor socket. The correct term is a charge point. Nothing any good electrician shouldn't be able to resolve.

It's not usually straight away, I would say its during the first 10% of any charge but its pretty random.

I agree with you that reducing the charging rate isn't a permanent solution but if it means going out in the morning to a fully charged car I might use it for a while for peace of mind until I get it sorted.

I'm no expert on this by any means and although my Electrician is RECI, I think this was his first charger install though, so any direction on where to sniff around first is welcome

Im only guessing but if it doesnt trip straight away I'd be looking at a bad connection somewhere. Cable heats up a little during charging and if its loose it could be arc'ing and then tripping. Just double check that inside the unit. There are many examples of Rolec's doing that.

It could also be the controller in the Rolec. They've been known to give trouble. That would be a bit harder to diagnose. Have you tried charging the car somewhere else to see if any tripping occurs there to rule out any issues with the car itself?

Is the Rolec tethered or untethered?
    Any damage done to the cable?
    Any dirt inside any of the pins in the cable or the car?

Cant think of anything else.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,236 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

I've never tried .... I did it tonight but I only needed a small charge (25%) and it didn't trip.

What do the various levels mean? Slower charging ... but what speeds?

If this works I don't mind doing it but some evenings I need a reasonably quick top up so I'd really need to get to the bottom of the tripping
    If you're referring to the in car levels:

For the standard AC charger (ie not portable):
    The fastest option is "max available" ie 32a
    the medium option is about 80% of this, works out at around 5kW
    slow option is 3.7kW.

ELM327 wrote: »
    If you're referring to the in car levels:

For the standard AC charger (ie not portable):
    The fastest option is "max available" ie 32a
    the medium option is about 80% of this, works out at around 5kW
    slow option is 3.7kW.

Does changing these in car levels affect fast charger (50kW) speeds also?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,236 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

Does changing these in car levels affect fast charger (50kW) speeds also?

No, they are independent as DC charging doesn't use the onboard charger,

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement