Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Hyundai Ioniq 28kWh

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,802 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

beanian wrote: »
    2009 Insignia Diesel, 3-4k is in the ball park of what I'd expect to get for it.

The paddy spec Ioniq is 33k after grants. They said that trim adds 5k to that and because its a demo model they'd knock 4k off.
    I've no problem paying a premium for leather seats and additional tech, but just wanted a steer on if 34k was reasonable!
    It appears not.

Get your 3-4K privately.
    Go to dealer and buy the car for 32-33 cash.
    Your cost to change then is only 29-30k

• Moderators Posts: 12,386 ✭✭✭✭Black_Knight

2009 Insignia Diesel, 3-4k is in the ball park of what I'd expect to get for it.

The paddy spec Ioniq is 33k after grants. They said that trim adds 5k to that and because its a demo model they'd knock 4k off.
    I've no problem paying a premium for leather seats and additional tech, but just wanted a steer on if 34k was reasonable!
    It appears not.

I was quoted 31 for a new Irish 191 ioniq. 30 on the day I was in at them (they had some event on).

Everyone seems to be saying the same here. 31+your car is not a good deal.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,586 ✭✭✭✭Dont be at yourself

I was quoted 31 for a new Irish 191 ioniq. 30 on the day I was in at them (they had some event on).

Dealers will also arrange for fitted leather as a extra on the paddy spec -- cost me €1,500 extra when I was buying (29K all in, that was in 2017).

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,406 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

31 is the RRP of the irish spec, 100%. A grand less if you with the white one possibly.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,912 ✭✭✭Mike9832

liamog wrote: »
    Mike9832 wrote: »
    They have to seriously look at how the grants work here

Getting rode by autogiants here

I would scrap it myself for cars over €30,000

Sliding scale like in Canada might be more acceptable

Sub €25,000 get full, sub €30,000 get 75% etc

One size fits all like we have now is crap, they are for the rich/crazy commuters

Nothing to do with Irish grants, it's all about keeping sales below a bar at the EU level. Reducing the grants will just lower the available specs and keep the pricing the same.

The main issue is that the 2021 target is 95g/km but the 2025 target is a 15% reduction in whatever number you achieve in 2021. So the higher your fleet emissions in 2021 the easier the target. Their is no incentive in a manufacturer hitting 80g/km in 2021.

Thats a huge flaw

VW ID will be low volume till 2022 then

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,246 ✭✭✭✭Hurrache

Not in a trade in you won't for a 2009 Insignia. If you do, go buy a lotto ticket.

• Registered Users Posts: 671 ✭✭✭adunis

I looked before I bought a secondhand one,
    30k new seems to be the party line.
    2nd hand=hens teath
    Now if you want to talk about ridiculous pricing
    Ladies n gentlemen,I give you.............
    The eGolf

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,887 ✭✭✭zg3409

adunis wrote: »
    2nd hand=hens teath

There are 3 full BEV on done deal from 22,450. The white one in Blanch has been for sale for a couple of months at least, and I think they have dropped the price slowly.

That is a fair price, although some bought new in the past for 26k after 4k scrappage of a banger worth zero. I don't believe 30k+ for a 191 is a good deal, but it depends on your needs. I went second hand and hung on to my old banger, which I use for weekends and long trips and towing. Having 2 cars is handy also when you forget to charge overnight (3 times in past 9 months)

Stock of used seems better in ROI than UK.

adunis wrote: »
    2nd hand=hens teath

There are 3 full BEV on done deal from 22,450. The white one in Blanch has been for sale for a couple of months at least, and I think they have dropped the price slowly.

That is a fair price, although some bought new in the past for 26k after 4k scrappage of a banger worth zero. I don't believe 30k+ for a 191 is a good deal, but it depends on your needs. I went second hand and hung on to my old banger, which I use for weekends and long trips and towing. Having 2 cars is handy also when you forget to charge overnight (3 times in past 9 months)

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,406 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

zg3409 wrote: »

How do you work it with the back up banger? Do you just transfer the insurance for a couple of days when you need to use it or do you have two policies on the go?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,645 ✭✭✭krissovo

When compared to the others for sale this looks quite good given the mileage. Too good to be true? That would make a nice run around for my son.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 450 ✭✭beanian

Hurrache wrote: »
    Not in a trade in you won't for a 2009 Insignia. If you do, go buy a lotto ticket.
    These are the dealers numbers not mine. He said between 3-4k

krissovo wrote: »
    When compared to the others for sale this looks quite good given the mileage. Too good to be true? That would make a nice run around for my son.

IMO, it's been up a suspiciously long time, and has at least once moved from one dealer to another. My spidey senses are firing anytime I see that.

It should still be under its full Hyundai warranty though and will be for another 3 years.

Mickeroo wrote: »

How do you work it with the back up banger? Do you just transfer the insurance for a couple of days when you need to use it or do you have two policies on the go?

A bit off topic, but my insurance covers me to drive any vehicle I do not own...PM me for details. Hire cars such as go car are another option, I considered declaring 'my' old banger car off the road for tax purposes and then tax it the odd time I need it for minimum period, rinse and repeat. I also consider classic tax of 50 euro per year for something like a jag.

• Registered Users Posts: 144 ✭✭Fermi

Hi All,

I am due to get another service (I am at 79k on the clock) and I need them to have a look at the air-con - it makes this really annoying metallic noise that is driving me crazy.

Question is, should that be covered by the warranty or should I expect to pay for it?

• Registered Users Posts: 214 ✭✭pdpmur

A bit off topic, but my insurance covers me to drive any vehicle I do not own....

Sorry for sliding further off topic, but have you checked your insurance policy small print about this? In general insured driving of other cars only applies where the car is already insured in someone's name.

Fermi wrote: »
    Hi All,

I am due to get another service (I am at 79k on the clock) and I need them to have a look at the air-con - it makes this really annoying metallic noise that is driving me crazy.

Question is, should that be covered by the warranty or should I expect to pay for it?

I would have expected something like that to be covered under warranty assuming it's a mechanical fault of some kind.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 285 ✭✭this.lad

Hi all,

2 years on with my Ioniq bev she's running like a dream. 60k on the clock.
    Our other car, 2.0 diesel 06, is getting more expensive to run and to keep road worthy.

I priced up a second ioniq might pull the trigger but I'd welcome advice. This is, after all, where i found out all about them in the first place.

Speculate away....

- likelihood of a price drop when the new version cones out?

Practical advice...

Charging two cars?

Discuss.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 8,061 Mod ✭✭✭✭liamog

this.lad wrote: »
    Hi all,

2 years on with my Ioniq bev she's running like a dream. 60k on the clock.
    Our other car, 2.0 diesel 06, is getting more expensive to run and to keep road worthy.

I priced up a second ioniq might pull the trigger but I'd welcome advice. This is, after all, where i found out all about them in the first place.

Speculate away....

- likelihood of a price drop when the new version cones out?

Practical advice...

Charging two cars?

Discuss.

Can't really see a price drop occurring when the bigger range comes out. They'll likely stop selling the 28kWh model, its not like they have a load of stock to shift.

When it comes to charging two cars, if you have a 32A home charger, you can likely handle switching between the two. It really depends on how much you are using each car. We have to charge the Ioniq every fourth day and my e-Up! every other day. So in practice the e-Up! gets plugged in every night, and the Ioniq every third. When I upgrade the e-Up! to a bigger battery we'll probably just alternate nights.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 65,741 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

Charging each car every other night was my first suggestion too

Depending on what way your cars are parked on your drive and where the current charger is, from a convenience point of view, you could consider installing a second charger. You'll most likely need another one when 50kWh+ batteries are the norm and you need to charge both at the same time to be able to fully use the night rate. If you could pick up a second hand one for €200 and have a friendly electrician install it, the cost wouldn't be so bad. You will need a priority switch if you ever want to use them at the same time though

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,236 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

unkel wrote: »
    Charging each car every other night was my first suggestion too

Depending on what way your cars are parked on your drive and where the current charger is, from a convenience point of view, you could consider installing a second charger. You'll most likely need another one when 50kWh+ batteries are the norm and you need to charge both at the same time to be able to fully use the night rate. If you could pick up a second hand one for €200 and have a friendly electrician install it, the cost wouldn't be so bad. You will need a priority switch if you ever want to use them at the same time though

I wonder could you install a self monitoring set of 2 home chargers, either of which can give 32a on their own but if you turn both on at the same time, they can only give 16a each

ELM327 wrote: »
    I wonder could you install a self monitoring set of 2 home chargers, either of which can give 32a on their own but if you turn both on at the same time, they can only give 16a each

Zappi would be able to do that by default once you have the load balancing set up on both i would think.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,136 ✭✭✭✭KCross

Zappi would be able to do that by default once you have the load balancing set up on both i would think.

That was my first thought too but I wonder would it actually behave that way.

Both Zappi's wouldnt be talking to each other. They would both be independently reacting to the total house load.

I wonder would the first charger to come on grab all the power and the second one would get nothing or maybe only 10A(depending on how much headroom there is).... maybe they would eventually both settle on 16A but I wouldnt take it for granted until someone confirmed that it does actually bahave that way... and I think it might not.

I do believe the Tesla Wall Connector has load sharing across two charge points as they are configured in a master-slave configuration so both charge points are talking to each other so I'd expect that to result in both equally sharing the max available power.

Perhaps set one with a limit of 16A so you would only use it if the other one wasn't free. Then have the other with the higher limit. I think that would work as the second charger would never go above circa 3.5kw?

Maybe there's functionality in the Harvi or app to do all this?

(sorry this is slightly off topic for Ioniq thread!)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,253 ✭✭✭✭GreeBo

Whats your commute on each car?
    How likely are you to need to charge both at the same time?

My own thoughts (base on nothing at all) would be to not future proof too much. If you can share a single charger for now, do. Households having 2+ EVs will slowly become more of a norm, and the options of chargers capable of working under these scenarios will become greater, and likely cheaper.

My own thoughts (base on nothing at all) would be to not future proof too much. If you can share a single charger for now, do. Households having 2+ EVs will slowly become more of a norm, and the options of chargers capable of working under these scenarios will become greater, and likely cheaper.

I think as battery range increases the likelihood of both needing to charge at the same time is eliminated.
    Its just a change of attitude from running your ICE tank down to empty before you fill V's continually topping up.

GreeBo wrote: »
    I think as battery range increases the likelihood of both needing to charge at the same time is eliminated.
    Its just a change of attitude from running your ICE tank down to empty before you fill V's continually topping up.

What about the extra weight of carrying around those extra KWs :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 125 ✭✭Dglflyer

I was trying to come up with a quick rule of thumb when explaining savings on fuel , if you have an electric car and plug it in at night
    (assuming 7c night rate )

Take the number of kilometers on your odometer and divide by 10, this is what you have spent on fuel ( diesel /petrol )

Divide by 10 again and this is what it would cost to "fuel" with electricity

Would you think this is a good "ball park" rule to use

• Advertisement

Dglflyer wrote: »
    I was trying to come up with a quick rule of thumb when explaining savings on fuel , if you have an electric car and plug it in at night

Take the number of kilometers on your odometer and divide by 10, this is what you have spent on fuel ( diesel /petrol )

Night rate is 9c I thought. Either way...
    Ioniq doing 200km range at 28KW.
    Thats 100km from 14kw.
    14KW @ €0.09/KW = €1.26/100km
    €1.26 gets about 0.87liters of petrol at the moment (petrol around €1.45 yeah?). So my ioniq runs at the equivalent of around 0.87L/100KM
    What do efficient cars do these days? 4-5L/100KM

What about the extra weight of carrying around those extra KWs :pac:

Tell those Keyboard Warriors to find their own transport!:pac:

I would have expected something like that to be covered under warranty assuming it's a mechanical fault of some kind.

Seems not a mechanical fault, it needs to be "re-gassed" or "re-filled". 250 euro to do anyway.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,819 ✭✭✭Silent Running

Seems not a mechanical fault, it needs to be "re-gassed" or "re-filled". 250 euro to do anyway.

Make sure they do a pressure test too. The gas wouldn't normally just disappear over a short time. If there's a leak in the system, it'll all leak out again and you're back to square one. If it is a leak, I would expect it to be a warranty issue.

How often do they generally need doing? Thought it was longer than a year or two.

Make sure they do a pressure test too. The gas wouldn't normally just disappear over a short time. If there's a leak in the system, it'll all leak out again and you're back to square one. If it is a leak, I would expect it to be a warranty issue.

I asked them specifically why it is not covered by the warranty and was told there is no leak, it is just the fact that the air-con has been used a lot just needs re-filling. I am not sure how true that is, but I had it on every workday in the last 2 years for approx 2.5 hours of my commuting time...

I think they use the eco refrigerant too which is more expensive, and not yet as easily available in the likes of the tyre places which offer up annual regassing offers as I think you need different equipment to do so.

Dglflyer wrote: »

Yep that's a good ballpark rule. For an efficient EV about 1c/km and an efficient petrol / diesel car about 10c/km. Roughly.

With your use, that's about normal for a refill. Don't pay Hyundai €250 for it though. There are specialist companies that do this for a fraction of that. Search the main motors forum, lots of people (myself included) have used a Polish lad in ParkWest. Has the professional machine to do it. Charged €45 and did a perfect job, while I waited.

Has the professional machine to do it. Charged €45 and did a perfect job, while I waited.

Are many equipped with it? And I thought the refrigerant itself, R1234YF, was a lot more expensive too?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 449 ✭✭_dof_

KCross wrote: »

Both Zappi's wouldnt be talking to each other. They would both be independently reacting to the total house load.

If you have 2 Zappis, they do talk to each other and an Eddi if you have one. They use a proprietary wireless network to communicate. According to the manual, it's possible to link 6 devices together and then assign a priority to each.

It does talk about the priority being used to decide where the surplus PV generated electricity is sent, but I assume it also works for grid electricity. Only one of the devices needs to have the CT on the grid connection, so they must be sharing information between the devices regarding the grid limit.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,136 ✭✭✭✭KCross

_dof_ wrote: »
    KCross wrote: »

If you have 2 Zappis, they do talk to each other and an Eddi if you have one. They use a proprietary wireless network to communicate. According to the manual, it's possible to link 6 devices together and then assign a priority to each.

It does talk about the priority being used to decide where the surplus PV generated electricity is sent, but I assume it also works for grid electricity. Only one of the devices needs to have the CT on the grid connection, so they must be sharing information between the devices regarding the grid limit.

The question is, when it gives priority is it all or nothing as opposed to equal load sharing... which was the initial question.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 285 ✭✭this.lad

Thanks for the replies, it seems like it could have a thread of its own.

One car, the one we have now, would need a charge every night. We're doing over 30k km a year in it. Even only doing 100k in a day leaves it tight for unforeseen trips the following day.

My commute is 30km So in theory once a week would do. However, i often have to attend meetings etc. around the place, even as far away as galway, but they wouldn't be last minute so i could plan for that.

Its more the practicalities of switching over the plug in the middle of the night, if both cars need full juice, that would be a pain in the arse. Between scholl runs, training etc. the 180k in winter gets short!

The bank have approved the loan but I'm still not decided to be honest. Maybe the granny cable would do well enough for the second car if really needed?

Thanks again. Great knowledge in here.

this.lad wrote: »
    Maybe the granny cable would do well enough for the second car if really needed?

Yep. It will. You solved your own problem :)

Got in my car to a 238km displayed range late this morning. Did 3 legs of a trip, all mostly M50 at about 105km/h totalling 66km. When I got home, the range left was 188km. This implies a (mostly motorway) range of 314km. As always a heavy foot and sports mode only. Carrying 250kg of cargo for nearly half of this trip

This 21C weather seems to be just about perfect for EVs :D

Got in my car to a 238km displayed range late this morning. Did 3 legs of a trip, all mostly M50 at about 105km/h totalling 66km. When I got home, the range left was 188km. This implies a (mostly motorway) range of 314km. As always a heavy foot and sports mode only. Carrying 250kg of cargo for nearly half of this trip

That effect is more pronounced in the Ioniq.

I've noticed on more than one occasion that the range when I get out of the car is higher than the range when I get back in it.
    e.g.
    Leave house with 217KM, drive 5KM and it will say range is 214KM at my destination.

Get back in to go home and starting range will be 212KM.

Is it just me? (No significant temp changes, this might be 10mins later)

GreeBo wrote: »
    I've noticed on more than one occasion that the range when I get out of the car is higher than the range when I get back in it.
    e.g.
    Leave house with 217KM, drive 5KM and it will say range is 214KM at my destination.

Get back in to go home and starting range will be 212KM.

Is it just me? (No significant temp changes, this might be 10mins later)

I presume it's because the climate control needs to work a bit harder for a couple of minutes after being off. I've noticed it happen too but only if I have CC on, if it's off the range will be the same as when i got out of the car I'm pretty sure.

Bjorn noticed this in one of the Ioniq reviews from 2017 too

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,262 ✭✭✭jusmeig

Man you got some special edition Ioniq :D
    I have never seen much over 200km.
    On motorway I always drive around 110kph, as i've got completely burned before when doing 120+ on longer spins.
    I don't think I've made a trip in such "warm" weather, maybe that's making the difference.

Due to the speed of the charge on Ionity, on one run I was able to drive 120 - 130kph, and got 23kwh in 28 minutes! Ionity ftw.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement