Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Hyundai Ioniq 28kWh

Comments

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,435 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

baldshin wrote: »
    I actually quite like the colour! Been looking since January and have yet to come across one here in decent shape at that price??

I also have family near that dealership so if I was to go for it I could double up with a visit there.

Looks good to me. That's not a common colour over here, I think someone earlier in the thread got one the same and they got the nose wrapped black. Looked really well but I can't find the pics right now.

You'll be getting a slightly better spec than the Irish one too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,390 ✭✭✭baldshin

Gahh looks to be gone already.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,921 ✭✭✭zg3409

unkel wrote: »
    Some info that might be useful to some of the owners. I measured the 3 different level of granny cable charging today:

low: 0.86kW (4A)
    medium: 1.42kW (6A)
    high: 2.00kW (8A)

Thinking of building a very small lithium battery of about 0.4kWh capacity. Using a 1kW inverter, I could charge the car at the lowest amperage for about 20 minutes to give me about 3km range
    :D:D:D

A Zappi in automatic solar mode only starts solar charging when 1.4kw is spare from solar, would this Zappi setting need to be changed for ioniq? (Zappi says in user manual type 2 protocol say 1.4kw is minimum EV handshake option to car.) Zappi might need to say you can take 1.4kw when house has 0.8kw spare.

These car settings are also useful if charging from a generator. I have 2000kva small petrol generator that can fit in a car boot, however it cannot probably supply more than 6amp constant. By changing settings in car I could safety charge up car slowly, particularly if out of battery a couple of km from nearest charge point. You can buy granny cables with switches for charge rates on them (which I do not have) but they are typically 6amp/10amp/12amp/16amp (not with UK plug)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,265 ✭✭✭jusmeig

zg3409 wrote: »
    A Zappi in automatic solar mode only starts solar charging when 1.4kw is spare from solar, would this Zappi setting need to be changed for ioniq? (Zappi says in user manual type 2 protocol say 1.4kw is minimum EV handshake option to car.)

This ain't true, look at the picture I shared of the Zappi charging at 0.6/0.7kw
    I think you might have to change the threshold it kicks in at. This is the % that is being "exported" to the grid, at which point it will start.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,819 ✭✭✭Silent Running

zg3409 wrote: »
    A Zappi in automatic solar mode only starts solar charging when 1.4kw is spare from solar, would this Zappi setting need to be changed for ioniq? (Zappi says in user manual type 2 protocol say 1.4kw is minimum EV handshake option to car.) Zappi might need to say you can take 1.4kw when house has 0.8kw spare.

These car settings are also useful if charging from a generator. I have 2000kva small petrol generator that can fit in a car boot, however it cannot probably supply more than 6amp constant. By changing settings in car I could safety charge up car slowly, particularly if out of battery a couple of km from nearest charge point. You can buy granny cables with switches for charge rates on them (which I do not have) but they are typically 6amp/10amp/12amp/16amp (not with UK plug)

The standard Ioniq granny charger is switchable. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 287 ✭✭this.lad

What tyres are you putting on the Ioniq as a replacement? I put two normal tyres on the front last summer, but the 4 are up for changing now (originals still n the back). I'm not sure that it had any impact on range.

Is replacing the Michelins like for like worth it?

Thanks.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 65,881 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

Liamog did all the research and replaced them with different tyres. Better grip, but not as efficient. I'm going to replace my fronts soon too with the same ones he picked, do a search in this thread.

Amazing mine are lasting 40k km with the way I drive :pac:

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 8,075 Mod ✭✭✭✭liamog

I put Continental AllSeasonContacts on mine. There's been a barely noticeable drop in range, massive increase in grip especially in wet weather.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 287 ✭✭this.lad

Thanks lads!

• Registered Users Posts: 219 ✭✭Penname

Just got a warning and an orange triangle light on my Ioniq as was driving on motorway. It said ‘Check EV systems’ and the orange warning light stayed on for the duration of the drive.

Has anyone experienced this before? Waiting on the garage to phone me back.

Car is a 2019.

• Advertisement
  • Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,435 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

Penname wrote: »
    Just got a warning and an orange triangle light on my Ioniq as was driving on motorway. It said ‘Check EV systems’ and the orange warning light stayed on for the duration of the drive.

Has anyone experienced this before? Waiting on the garage to phone me back.

Car is a 2019.

Not experienced it myself but have heard of that message showing when there's issues with the 12v battery?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,003 ✭✭✭iggy

Anyone use roof bars on their Ioniq?
    Micksgarage had them before but out of stock.

Thanks

iggy wrote: »
    Anyone use roof bars on their Ioniq?
    Micksgarage had them before but out of stock.

Thanks

Expect a large range drop if driving over city speeds.

samih wrote: »
    Expect a large range drop if driving over city speeds.

I'd would guess around 30%-40% less range at 120km/h with bars and a roof box

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,003 ✭✭✭iggy

unkel wrote: »
    I'd would guess around 30%-40% less range at 120km/h with bars and a roof box

It's for camping trips. 120km round trip approx

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 670 ✭✭✭Fishy1

Getting my car serviced this week & want to make sure that the firmware & software updates are done. Would any of you kind people be able to upload a screenshot of your car’s latest version? :)

Fishy1 wrote: »
    Getting my car serviced this week & want to make sure that the firmware & software updates are done. Would any of you kind people be able to upload a screenshot of your car’s latest version? :)

https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=110301249&postcount=7171

As far as I'm aware, this is still the latest.

iggy wrote: »
    It's for camping trips. 120km round trip approx

Wild camping or camping site? If the latter and you can granny charge overnight should be fine. The former - probably not so good. Give it a test drive and check what impact is on range. On Ioniq probably impact more than on any other EV (bar maybe the Teslas), because it is so aerodynamic

Think I posted this already a few pages up, but I got this in May, most likely still the latest versions of everything:

484830.jpg

Have been considering roof bars too, my surf board scowls at me everytime I walk into the shed since I got rid of the van. Would certainly be interested to hear first hand accounts of how much range you actually lose with them.

• Advertisement

Surfboard might fit in the car if you have no passengers. I fitted 9 full size solar panels in mine and the boot closed. Hatchbacks are very practical.

• Moderators Posts: 12,390 ✭✭✭✭Black_Knight

Kept spotting the chrome pack pedals on YouTube reviews etc of the ioniq. Grabbed myself a set from China which arrived today. They look well imo.

IMG-20190709-163858.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 9 gmcdaid

Just looking for a little help re. 2017 Ioniq. Was parked up in Dublin airport for 11 days. When I tried to charge it on return, charging wouldn't engage. Have tried regular cable, granny cable and public chargers. Red plug light comes on and cable head locks, but no power flows. After about 30 secs, the 3 blue lights on dash blink in unison twice, which I under stand means charger error.

I checked the chagring socket for small stones, blockages etc. One thing I noticed is that the top right pin is different than the others. It is shorter and doesn't have a black plastic cap. Is this the way its supposed to be? Thinking maybe that something impacted it last time I removed plug head.

Also, what is the norm re. getting car to main dealer? Do Hyundai cover that cost under warranty? I have zero charge now (did last 10 miles from airport in turtle mode last night) so car is immobile. Thanks for any advice.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,081 ✭✭✭fricatus

gmcdaid wrote: »
    Just looking for a little help re. 2017 Ioniq. Was parked up in Dublin airport for 11 days. When I tried to charge it on return, charging wouldn't engage. Have tried regular cable, granny cable and public chargers. Red plug light comes on and cable head locks, but no power flows. After about 30 secs, the 3 blue lights on dash blink in unison twice, which I under stand means charger error.

I checked the chagring socket for small stones, blockages etc. One thing I noticed is that the top right pin is different than the others. It is shorter and doesn't have a black plastic cap. Is this the way its supposed to be? Thinking maybe that something impacted it last time I removed plug head.

Also, what is the norm re. getting car to main dealer? Do Hyundai cover that cost under warranty? I have zero charge now (did last 10 miles from airport in turtle mode last night) so car is immobile. Thanks for any advice.

I would think you've done all the troubleshooting that you'd be expected to do under the circumstances, and more. My 181 Ioniq has roadside assistance plus a 5-year warranty, so I would just call the assistance line and ask them to bring it to the nearest dealership for warranty repair. You probably have the same dealer support package, unless for example you brought it in from the UK or something.

• Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭_ned_

@gmcdaid Did you check the 12V battery? BEVs depend on the 12V battery to supply power to the control electronics. If the 12V battery is dead, nothing works. You just might need a traditional jump start??? Anyone BEVers ever experience this?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,147 ✭✭✭✭KCross

My guess would be the 12V as well. It has enough power to do the basics but not enough to activate the charge session.

Stick the 12V on a charge booster for an hour or two and then retry the charge session.

• Advertisement

fricatus wrote: »
    I would think you've done all the troubleshooting that you'd be expected to do under the circumstances, and more. My 181 Ioniq has roadside assistance plus a 5-year warranty, so I would just call the assistance line and ask them to bring it to the nearest dealership for warranty repair. You probably have the same dealer support package, unless for example you brought it in from the UK or something.

Yeah, I've called it in. Didn't realise I had road side assistance until I called dealer.

Do you have to go through the dealer for the roadside assistance or can you just call the AA direct? I assumed I would have had to sign up with the AA or something at least but they never said a word about it.

KCross wrote: »
    My guess would be the 12V as well. It has enough power to do the basics but not enough to activate the charge session.

Stick the 12V on a charge booster for an hour or two and then retry the charge session.

Car started just fine in airport last night, and at the numerous charing points I tried on way home. Also, no warnings, and all ancillary power functions work OK, so I don't think its the 12v. Also, I can actually start it, and it will move. Its just battery is at 1%.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,960 ✭✭✭Soarer

Car started just fine in airport last night, and at the numerous charing points I tried on way home. Also, no warnings, and all ancillary power functions work OK, so I don't think its the 12v. Also, I can actually start it, and it will move. Its just battery is at 1%.

Could still be the 12V. They can be finicky enough.

Leave the car "running" for a while with all ancillaries turned off, and see if that tops up the 12V enough to start a charge?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,147 ✭✭✭✭KCross

I think it’s still worth a try if you have a 12V charger. Certainly nothing to lose!

A low 12V can affect the car in strange ways and since it happened while it was idle for 11 days it’s a possibility.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 671 ✭✭✭adunis

beanian wrote: »
    1. Fiery mutant - Ioniq BEV - Polar White - 171WH
    2. liamog - Ioniq BEV - Phantom Black - 171D
    3. zale - Ioniq BEV - Phantom Black 171WH
    4. unkel - Ioniq BEV - Platinum Silver - 171D
    5. Mope - Ioniq BEV - Platinum Silver - 171D
    6. thelikelylad - Ioniq BEV - Polar White - 171C
    7. woppers - Ioniq BEV - Polar White - 171WX
    8. don't be at yourself - Ioniq BEV - Polar White - 171D
    9. Ballylad - Ioniq BEV - Phantom Black - 171CW
    10. Coconut Joe - Ioniq BEV - Polar White - 172D
    11. Macker - Ioniq BEV - Marina Blue - 181D
    12. Fermi - Ioniq BEV - Phantom Black - 172MO
    13. Johnnyjohnjohns - Ioniq BEV - Aurora Silver - 172D
    14. this.lad - Ioniq BEV - Polar White - 172
    15. CarefulNow! - Ioniq BEV - Polar White - 172D
    16. Moreilly - Ioniq BEV - Phantom Black - 172KE
    17. Neleven - Ioniq BEV - Phantom Black - 172 WW
    18. DglFlyer -Ioniq BEV - Phantom Black - 171 CE
    19. jeremy_g - Ioniq BEV - Platinum Silver - 171WW
    20. miamee - Ioniq BEV - Marina Blue - 172D
    21. Cocolola - Ioniq BEV - Phantom Black - 172G
    22. RonanFarrell - Ioniq BEV - Polar White - 172G
    23. rgunning - Ioniq BEV - Polar White - 171D
    24. Doc el brown - Ioniq BEV - Polar White - 172WW
    25. Fitz213 - Ioniq BEV - Phantom Black - 171D
    26. lafors - Ioniq BEV - - 181D
    27. squishey - Ioniq BEV - Polar White - 181D
    28. Ewan Hoosarmi - Ioniq BEV - Platinum Silver - 181?
    29. peaceboi - Ioniq BEV - Blazing Yellow - 171D
    30. ELM427 - Ioniq BEV - Phantom Black 171MH :-)
    31. irishgrover - Ioniq BEV - Marina Blue - 181 G
    32. fricatus - Ioniq BEV - Polar White - 181
    33. zg3409 - Ioniq BEV - Marina Blue 171 G (Dublin area)
    34. BigAl81 - Ioniq BEV - White - 191-D
    37. Mighty Munster - Ioniq BEV - Phantom Black 191MH
    38. OffalyMedic- Ioniq BEV- Phantom Black- 181L (Laois)
    39. Casher - Ioniq BEV - Phantom Black - 191WW
    40. iggy - Ioniq BEV - Phantom Black - 191D
    41. Deegs - ioniq - polar white with groovy black roof wrap 191c
    42. shanemkelly - Ioniq BEV - Phantom Black - 171D
    43. PATMAC - Ioniq BEV - Aurora Silver - 191RN
    44. Fishy1 - Ioniq BEV - Polar White - 181W
    45. jjcahill78 - ioniq BEV - Fiery red - 191 CW
    46. relgoog - Ioniq BEV - Iron Grey - 182D
    47. Black_Knight - Ioniq BEV - Polar White - 171CE
    48. beanian - Ioniq BEV - Polar White - 191D

Took delivery today :). Absolutely love it. Had some fun on the M1 with LKAS & smart cruise control :D

Thanks to all the contributors on this thread, really gave me the motivation & confidence to go for it.

Me 171L BEV white

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,351 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

beanian wrote: »
    31. irishgrover - Ioniq BEV - Marina Blue - 181 G
    32. fricatus - Ioniq BEV - Polar White - 181
    33. zg3409 - Ioniq BEV - Marina Blue 171 G (Dublin area)
    34. BigAl81 - Ioniq BEV - White - 191-D
    37. Mighty Munster - Ioniq BEV - Phantom Black 191MH
    38. OffalyMedic- Ioniq BEV- Phantom Black- 181L (Laois)
    39. Casher - Ioniq BEV - Phantom Black - 191WW
    40. iggy - Ioniq BEV - Phantom Black - 191D
    41. Deegs - ioniq - polar white with groovy black roof wrap 191c
    42. shanemkelly - Ioniq BEV - Phantom Black - 171D
    43. PATMAC - Ioniq BEV - Aurora Silver - 191RN
    44. Fishy1 - Ioniq BEV - Polar White - 181W
    45. jjcahill78 - ioniq BEV - Fiery red - 191 CW
    46. relgoog - Ioniq BEV - Iron Grey - 182D
    47. Black_Knight - Ioniq BEV - Polar White - 171CE
    48. beanian - Ioniq BEV - Polar White - 191D

Took delivery today :). Absolutely love it. Had some fun on the M1 with LKAS & smart cruise control :D

Thanks to all the contributors on this thread, really gave me the motivation & confidence to go for it.
    removed myself again...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,960 ✭✭✭Soarer

ELM327 wrote: »
    removed myself again...

Yeah, but now the numbers aren't in sequence!

Shoddy! ;)

adunis wrote: »
    Me 171L BEV white

30. irishgrover - Ioniq BEV - Marina Blue - 181 G
    31. fricatus - Ioniq BEV - Polar White - 181
    32. zg3409 - Ioniq BEV - Marina Blue 171 G (Dublin area)
    33. BigAl81 - Ioniq BEV - White - 191-D
    34. Mighty Munster - Ioniq BEV - Phantom Black 191MH
    35. OffalyMedic- Ioniq BEV- Phantom Black- 181L (Laois)
    36. Casher - Ioniq BEV - Phantom Black - 191WW
    37. iggy - Ioniq BEV - Phantom Black - 191D
    38. Deegs - ioniq - polar white with groovy black roof wrap 191c
    39. shanemkelly - Ioniq BEV - Phantom Black - 171D
    40. PATMAC - Ioniq BEV - Aurora Silver - 191RN
    41. Fishy1 - Ioniq BEV - Polar White - 181W
    42. jjcahill78 - ioniq BEV - Fiery red - 191 CW
    43. relgoog - Ioniq BEV - Iron Grey - 182D
    44. Black_Knight - Ioniq BEV - Polar White - 171CE
    45. beanian - Ioniq BEV - Polar White - 191D
    46. adunis - Ioniq BEV - White - 171L

Seems we lost a few in the 30s

Kept spotting the chrome pack pedals on YouTube reviews etc of the ioniq. Grabbed myself a set from China which arrived today. They look well imo.

IMG-20190709-163858.jpg

Here's a link if anyone wants.
    https://www.aliexpress.com/item/32898652492.html
    Ordered June 24th, and only noticed them in the office mailroom yesterday.

Get yourself a fuse box cover that accommodates the OBD dongle. :P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,496 ✭✭✭irishgrover

May have accidentally ID'ed another small difference between premium and premium SE models.....my pedals are stock chrome.
    (This message is for informational purposes only, all actual or inferred bragging rights are unintended)

Get yourself a fuse box cover that accommodates the OBD dongle. :P

I've ordered an OBD flexible extender cable which should allow me to have it plugged in and put the cover back on.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 450 ✭✭beanian

I've ordered an OBD flexible extender cable which should allow me to have it plugged in and put the cover back on.

Mind me asking what you use the OBD dongle for?

Let us know how you get on with that, as need to do the same thing, and we appear to have same dongle

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,228 ✭✭✭Kramer

Let us know how you get on with that, as need to do the same thing, and we appear to have same dongle

Did that with the extension cable but the cover will not click in place with anything plugged into the OBD socket.
    Simple solution is to unclip the OBD socket & let it push back into the car a little.
    An extension cable or even the OBD dongle itself will then allow the cover to be refitted.

• Registered Users Posts: 220 ✭✭turnfan

This is a fantastic thread, well done ladies and gents, the info is invaluable

I'm considering moving to electric from a 2010 Mk2 Skoda Superb 1.9TDI. (I gave 15k for it, 4 years ago due to low mileage...I hate to think what I've lost in depreciation)
    I drive 80-90km a day, average 25k so I think I'm in the perfect category for moving to EV (will keep ICE as the other car)

I drove the EGolf, a fantastic drive, but I'm concerned about the boot usability (and price - was offered (a fully loaded) demo for 36K..eeek)
    Drove Leaf, but didn't fall in love, they also wouldn't allow a long term test drive.

I'm thinking the Ioniq is the closest in terms of family car usability. Trying to get a weekend test drive organised.

Has anybody moved from a larger car to the Ioniq, and any regrets?

turnfan wrote: »
    This is a fantastic thread, well done ladies and gents, the info is invaluable

I'm considering moving to electric from a 2010 Mk2 Skoda Superb 1.9TDI. (I gave 15k for it, 4 years ago due to low mileage...I hate to think what I've lost in depreciation)
    I drive 80-90km a day, average 25k so I think I'm in the perfect category for moving to EV (will keep ICE as the other car)

I drove the EGolf, a fantastic drive, but I'm concerned about the boot usability (and price - was offered (a fully loaded) demo for 36K..eeek)
    Drove Leaf, but didn't fall in love, they also wouldn't allow a long term test drive.

I'm thinking the Ioniq is the closest in terms of family car usability. Trying to get a weekend test drive organised.

Has anybody moved from a larger car to the Ioniq, and any regrets?

Previous cars, prior to Ioniq were
    Laguna, saab 93 estate, Alfa 166. Other family car is Subaru Tribeca.

No regrets at all.

Where are you located. You might be close to a member her who might consider bringing you for a spin?

Will do

Can I assume door rubbers are covered under warranty? Just spotted my driver side one is in bits

15627739533131110016396.jpg
    pic host

• Registered Users Posts: 220 ✭✭turnfan

Previous cars, prior to Ioniq were
    Laguna, saab 93 estate, Alfa 166. Other family car is Subaru Tribeca.

No regrets at all.

Where are you located. You might be close to a member her who might consider bringing you for a spin?

Cheers, I work in Galway city, live in Galway county. I need to get to the dealer and see what they can do.

Collected my Ioniq after it’s 1st service. I had said that I wanted firmware & software updates, but when I went back for the car I was told that my versions were the latest ones available for my car.

My car is a 181 Premium SE UK import. Would that make a difference?

Here’s a screenshot I had taken a few months ago. The firmware & software versions don’t look the same as the ones that Silent Running & UNKEL had kindly put up yesterday. Any thoughts?

Collected my Ioniq after it’s 1st service. I had said that I wanted firmware & software updates, but when I went back for the car I was told that my versions were the latest ones available for my car.

My car is a 181 Premium SE UK import. Would that make a difference?

Here’s a screenshot I had taken a few months ago. The firmware & software versions don’t look the same as the ones that Silent Running & UNKEL had kindly put up yesterday. Any thoughts?

That's very old. There are definitely updates due on that.

It should look like the pic Unkel posted above. only the device ID should be different.

That's very old. There are definitely updates due on that.

That’s what I thought! This was a main dealer though, so I’m not sure what I can do now:confused:

• Advertisement

turnfan wrote: »
    Cheers, I work in Galway city, live in Galway county. I need to get to the dealer and see what they can do.

well **** me for opening my mouth...... :o

I'm in Galway county, Clare side. I might be able to meet you on saturday morning if you want to havea poke around one

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement