Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Hyundai Ioniq 28kWh

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,819 ✭✭✭Silent Running

Fishy1 wrote: »
    That’s what I thought! This was a main dealer though, so I’m not sure what I can do now:confused:

I had an issue when I got my car serviced. The main dealer was unable to update the system. Some guff about the files being corrupt. Luckily I had downloaded the files myself and updated the whole thing in about 10 minutes.

Bring it back with a photo of what it should be like and demand that they do their job.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 666 ✭✭✭Fishy1

I had an issue when I got my car serviced. The main dealer was unable to update the system. Some guff about the files being corrupt. Luckily I had downloaded the files myself and updated the whole thing in about 10 minutes.

Bring it back with a photo of what it should be like and demand that they do their job.

Thanks, I did that today, showed them the screenshot of the latest version. They still maintained that according to their computer there were no updates available for my car.
    I’ll get back on to them tomorrow.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,819 ✭✭✭Silent Running

Thanks, I did that today, showed them the screenshot of the latest version. They still maintained that according to their computer there were no updates available for my car.

How do they explain the 2018 dates in the picture of an updated Ioniq? The dates are the numbers beginning in 18, as in 181020 is 20/10/18.

Speak to the service manager, failing that the dealer principal, failing that, call Hyundai Ireland and let them know how badly their dealer is handling routine work.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,529 ✭✭✭irishgeo

anyone here got a Plug in Iqonic. Not willing to jump into a full electric just yet . 120km round trip daily on n roads so avg 100kmh and so local trips etc. i think electric tech is too fast changing yet and the charging points out west are too spotty yet. option to charge at work and i think the hybird would almost get me to work on electric alone. Is there a new PHEV coming too?

I am thinking of getting the phev and avail of all the grants etc and get the outdoor charger in etc.

Likely be 2020 before i dive in but no harm doing some research.

• Moderators Posts: 12,386 ✭✭✭✭Black_Knight

irishgeo wrote: »
    anyone here got a Plug in Iqonic. Not willing to jump into a full electric just yet . 120km round trip daily on n roads so avg 100kmh and so local trips etc. i think electric tech is too fast changing yet and the charging points out west are too spotty yet. option to charge at work and i think the hybird would almost get me to work on electric alone. Is there a new PHEV coming too?

I am thinking of getting the phev and avail of all the grants etc and get the outdoor charger in etc.

120km is no bother on n roads (or any roads) in an ioniq BEV. The option to charge at work makes it all the better if you need to head anywhere after work.

PHEV might get you 50km on a good day. You'd be using petrol everyday.

Ignore the public charging network for the most part. You'd likely be doing 99% of your charging at home. Ask yourself, does 200km comfortably cover my day to day driving. If so, full electric seems a very decent option for you. If you have regular (weekly) trips over 200km, maybe consider other options.

IMO the public network is only a consideration if you have a regular drive that isn't serviced by fast chargers and would mean you arrive with very little range, thus having to granny cable charge your car.

• Advertisement

120km is no bother on n roads (or any roads) in an ioniq BEV. The option to charge at work makes it all the better if you need to head anywhere after work.

PHEV might get you 50km on a good day. You'd be using petrol everyday.

Ignore the public charging network for the most part. You'd likely be doing 99% of your charging at home. Ask yourself, does 200km comfortably cover my day to day driving. If so, full electric seems a very decent option for you. If you have regular (weekly) trips over 200km, maybe consider other options.

IMO the public network is only a consideration if you have a regular drive that isn't serviced by fast chargers and would mean you arrive with very little range, thus having to granny cable charge your car.
    What's the average range everyone gets from a charge.

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,406 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

I'm getting 220km per charge this time of year. Commute is roughly 55km round trip so only charging two or three times a week depending on how much I need to drive at the weekend.

Your commute would be no bother all year round. Don't worry about public charging. Whereabouts in the west you based? I'm in Mayo and have no hassle at all.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,081 ✭✭✭fricatus

I get 160 km in winter, 190 km in summer. Others here would report that their range is quite a bit more, because the GOM (guess-ometer/range computer) calculates based on your consumption pattern. We came to the conclusion that my consumption is high because I use adaptive cruise on the motorway all the time, hence the lowish reported range.

I would go for the BEV in your case, assuming your daily mileage is under 200 km. If you do regular longer runs, maybe give us an idea of where, so we can comment on the present and future charging infrastructure.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 285 ✭✭this.lad

I'm getting 230-240 this weather. It was up as high as 245 one day last week. In the winter we would get about 190 but once the heating goes on that falls away a bit. I'd say 180 is probably a fair range in winter.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,894 ✭✭✭Nolars

What is the battery health like in the ioniqs after a few years

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,589 ✭✭✭patmac

I got my first service today on my 191 Ioniq (had to drive a smelly 11 polo diesel for the day with gears and noise and things, oh the embarrassment), I had asked about an update and was told there was none available, I sent them the picture on here of the latest firmware (thanks again) and the maintenance manager updated after they realised that the Tucson software was different to the Ioniq.

fricatus wrote: »

I get 160 km in winter, 190 km in summer. Others here would report that their range is quite a bit more, because the GOM (guess-ometer/range computer) calculates based on your consumption pattern. We came to the conclusion that my consumption is high because I use adaptive cruise on the motorway all the time, hence the lowish reported range.

I would go for the BEV in your case, assuming your daily mileage is under 200 km. If you do regular longer runs, maybe give us an idea of where, so we can comment on the present and future charging infrastructure.
    An example is I'm a big gaa fan. So follow mayo around the country. I make the odd trio to Dublin at weekends. Odd trip around the country weddings etc.

An example is I'm a big gaa fan. So follow mayo around the country. I make the odd trio to Dublin at weekends. Odd trip around the country weddings etc.

I've no experience of the M4 or Dublin EV driving, but I'd only assume match day would incur a bit of a strain on fast chargers. Motorway driving will take about 20% off your range too (in my experience). Others can likely comment a bit better on long drives in/out of Dublin.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,081 ✭✭✭fricatus

Others can likely comment a bit better on long drives in/out of Dublin.

My rule for a Dublin trip is find a fast charger 60-80 km or so from the city, charge up fully there, maybe destination charge in Dublin if you get lucky (you probably won’t), then you have the fast charger again on the way home.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,238 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

I had an Ioniq bev and sold it on as I was disappointed with the range.
    You can get 220km+ in summer but in winter this will drop as low as 160 on the motorway.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,089 ✭✭✭Krombopulos Michael

ELM327 wrote: »
    You can get 220km+ in summer but in winter this will drop as low as 160 on the motorway.

Did you got back to ICE or PHEV?

beanian wrote: »
    Mind me asking what you use the OBD dongle for?

Setup Torque Pro app to give me live readings from the car. Bit of a gimmick, but I like correlating data. Next long drive I do I'll hopefully record the trip and see how speed/elevations/roads etc impact on my range.
    At the moment my daily commute is up a hill, using about 26kw/km, so my GOM is depressingly low (200km)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,238 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

ICE for now, 2.0 diesel superb auto

Short term

Medium term am planning to go back to an EV

Have to be realistic, Ioniq is still very much a short range bev

ICE for now, 2.0 diesel superb auto

Short term

Medium term am planning to go back to an EV

Have to be realistic, Ioniq is still very much a short range bev

Yup. Tis a great car and range for the money, but a reliable 400KM is what I want next, and I can imagine 400km being a sweet number for many drivers. At that range i'd be begging to pull over for a break at around 200+km (as mentioned, 200km isn't really possible at motorway speeds in an ioniq).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,888 ✭✭✭zg3409

They still maintained that according to their computer there were no updates available for my car.

The version with 1709 is OK. Newer versions do not add anything critical, see https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=110301249&postcount=7171

The 1809/1810 versions may not be approved for use on your specific vehicle. I challenged the dealer on an earlier version and they said they usually update firmware when it is approved, but some specific vehicles may not have the newest versions approved. They said if you have specific issues that might be solved by a newer or beta version they can ask Hyundai for permission to install a non recommended update. I don't know if I really believe that, but I would not recommend doing a DIY update as if it fails you can be stranded, and potentially Hyundai could claim you voided the warranty.

• Advertisement

160km winter is worst case, 190+ is typical for 40+ weeks a year in my conditions driving motorway around 100km/h commute.

There are very few ioniq plug in hybrids in Ireland. I would not buy new, look for used Irish or UK. If the range on electric mode is 50km (I don't know) then you are still using petrol. A diesel car for medium commutes may make more sense if you regularly go trips above 180km return. You could look at used cheap EV for commute and keep 2nd car/borrow for long trips. The public chargers are often blocked/busy or broken for months, so going above your range in an EV can lead to queuing at a fast charger for 1+hours. Hopefully the charging network will improve in the next 1-2 years.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 666 ✭✭✭Fishy1

zg3409 wrote: »
    The version with 1709 is OK. Newer versions do not add anything critical, see https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=110301249&postcount=7171

The 1809/1810 versions may not be approved for use on your specific vehicle. I challenged the dealer on an earlier version and they said they usually update firmware when it is approved, but some specific vehicles may not have the newest versions approved. They said if you have specific issues that might be solved by a newer or beta version they can ask Hyundai for permission to install a non recommended update. I don't know if I really believe that, but I would not recommend doing a DIY update as if it fails you can be stranded, and potentially Hyundai could claim you voided the warranty.

Thanks a million for that info, No danger of me doing a DIY update!

• Registered Users Posts: 111 ✭✭jeremy_g

I did the DIY and have no problems for 3-4 months now... it is amazing that car manufacturers/dealers still consider software and maps updates are not needed in 2019 when cars are more smart they need to wake up and realise it is not 1990 anymore...

Anyone got a part number? :mad:

ba4539ecf6949775a026e1b9ecc1e5a0.png

Kearys said over 500 to fix this. I didn't ask for much detail or specifics around just changing the badge, but that's what I was told.
    Will do

Can I assume door rubbers are covered under warranty? Just spotted my driver side one is in bits

15627739533131110016396.jpg
    pic host

Kearys also said this isn't covered by warranty. 2 year old car with 50km on it, but worn door rubbers is just wear and tear.
    €80+ for the rubber
    €110+ for rubber and install.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,136 ✭✭✭✭KCross

I cant see how a door seal is not covered under warranty after just 2years. Thats not really a wear and tear item and it should certainly last longer than 2 years. I'd be creating some waves on that and if the dealer isnt budging go to Hyundai Ireland.

KCross wrote: »
    I cant see how a door seal is not covered under warranty after just 2years. Thats not really a wear and tear item and it should certainly last longer than 2 years. I'd be creating some waves on that and if the dealer isnt budging go to Hyundai Ireland.

I've contacted the dealership I bought the car off of. Going to see what they say, and push them if they say something similar. If they agree to cover it, i'll see can I get my local Hyundai to do the work.

I agree it is a part that would see a lot of wear, but 2 years is a bit pathetic, and typically parts which will see lots of action are made to withstand that action.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,061 ✭✭✭Uriel.

Puke, came back from a trip to be greeted by this - my wife managed to hit a pillar.

Where's the best place to get something like this sorted (Dublin)? Best to stick with hyundai dealer? I expect I'm looking at a pricy fix, what you reckon? It's a HEV.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 450 ✭✭beanian

Anyone here ever try Autopi with Ioniq?
    The lack of a way of reading the battery percentage and feeding that into my Home Automation setup is bugging me somewhat!

Uriel. wrote: »
    Puke, came back from a trip to be greeted by this - my wife managed to hit a pillar.

Where's the best place to get something like this sorted (Dublin)? Best to stick with hyundai dealer? I expect I'm looking at a pricy fix, what you reckon? It's a HEV.

Ouch. Dealer is likely your only way, unless you can find a scrap front bumper.
    Have you no claims bonus protection? Worth using your 1 free claim on this (assuming a quote number from Hyundai)?

• Advertisement

The lack of a way of reading the battery percentage and feeding that into my Home Automation setup is bugging me somewhat!

Now you've got me interested...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,061 ✭✭✭Uriel.

Have you no claims bonus protection? Worth using your 1 free claim on this (assuming a quote number from Hyundai)?

Thanks. Yeah I'd say we're taking new grill at the very least, but sensors etc. May be damaged and/or required recalibration. Have protected NCB so may have to go that route. What do you mean by a "quote number from hyundai"? In 16 years of driving I've never made any type of claim before so don't know the process or lingo too well.

Thanks. Yeah I'd say we're taking new grill at the very least, but sensors etc. May be damaged and/or required recalibration. Have protected NCB so may have to go that route. What do you mean by a "quote number from hyundai"? In 16 years of driving I've never made any type of claim before so don't know the process or lingo too well.

I badly phrased it. Just saying it might be worth using your NCB if Hyundai quote you a massive repair cost. They quoted me 500 to replace the Hyundai badge on the front of the car (full EV so it might be a different price).

• Registered Users Posts: 671 ✭✭✭adunis

Badge is separate part ,radar sits behind the bumper from memory it's about 36 USD, mine got wiped out by hitting the neighbors cat......long story.

• Registered Users Posts: 671 ✭✭✭adunis

Re phev grille ,ebay,? Plenty of hybrids around also available from Hyundai parts store.com of something like that where I got my badge Google will reveal all

So I picked up the new Ioniq today.

I've noticed some differences between the 17 and the 19, not sure if there are upgrades or reasons for them.

Rear windows and back window tinted.
    Heated steering.
    Range indicator on dash is blue rather than white.
    The copper trim is inside but not outside, there's a silver trim outside.
    Loads more options under LKA along with an alertness monitor which tells how long since you've last stopped and seems drops down the more you cross over the lines on the road.
    Came with an 8m cable rather than 5 which is excellent considering I have to charge both cars, no moving them around now! I had looked at them online, almost €200, glad I held off now.

I bought my last drop of diesel today, enough to get me to the garage!

Are there other differences to look out for? Delighted with the heated steering, grand job for the winter!

• Advertisement

this.lad wrote: »

I've noticed some differences between the 17 and the 19, not sure if there are upgrades or reasons for them.

Heated steering.
    Loads more options under LKA along with an alertness monitor which tells how long since you've last stopped and seems drops down the more you cross over the lines on the road.
    Came with an 8m cable rather than 5 which is excellent considering I have to charge both cars, no moving them around now! I had looked at them online, almost €200, glad I held off now.

Are there other differences to look out for? Delighted with the heated steering, grand job for the winter!
    Isn't more devices to heat going to affect your range.

its a car not a galleon

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,406 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

Heated steering.

Mine's a 2019 and has copper trim inside and out, is the silver new for 192 I wonder?

Mickeroo wrote: »
    Mine's a 2019 and has copper trim inside and out, is the silver new for 192 I wonder?

Has it the heated steering?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 65,743 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

All 2019 Ioniqs have heated steering wheel. The tinted windows are new to me though. Sure that wasn't fitted aftermarket maybe for a customer who then cancelled?

• Advertisement

unkel wrote: »
    All 2019 Ioniqs have heated steering wheel. The tinted windows are new to me though. Sure that wasn't fitted aftermarket maybe for a customer who then cancelled?

Theyre on the other cars in the showroom too

Has it the heated steering?

Yeah it does and the tinted windows.

Cheaper on your range to heat your hands rather than heat the entire cabin.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,496 ✭✭✭irishgrover

Cheaper on your range to heat your hands rather than heat the entire cabin.
    In winter I very very rarely have the heat on. Combination of heated seat, steering wheel and auto demist is my preferred combination

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,256 Mod ✭✭✭✭charlieIRL

Can I ask what’s the on the road price of a new ionic? It’s the only one I haven’t tried because local dealer doesn’t have one. Buying straight with no trade in.
    PM if you don’t want to post here.

charlieIRL wrote: »
    Can I ask what’s the on the road price of a new ionic? It’s the only one I haven’t tried because local dealer doesn’t have one. Buying straight with no trade in.

I got mine for 27k but unless you get scrappage it will be around 30/31k.

charlieIRL wrote: »

Mine is 192, no scrappage on them, but I got a good deal on the trade in. Ring around the place.

I got mine for just under 28. It was the best I could get from any of the 5/6 dealers I rang. Seems to depend on who you get when you ring too!

1. Fiery mutant - Ioniq BEV - Polar White - 171WH
    2. liamog - Ioniq BEV - Phantom Black - 171D
    3. zale - Ioniq BEV - Phantom Black 171WH
    4. unkel - Ioniq BEV - Platinum Silver - 171D
    5. Mope - Ioniq BEV - Platinum Silver - 171D
    6. thelikelylad - Ioniq BEV - Polar White - 171C
    7. woppers - Ioniq BEV - Polar White - 171WX
    8. don't be at yourself - Ioniq BEV - Polar White - 171D
    9. Ballylad - Ioniq BEV - Phantom Black - 171CW
    10. Coconut Joe - Ioniq BEV - Polar White - 172D
    11. Macker - Ioniq BEV - Marina Blue - 181D
    12. Fermi - Ioniq BEV - Phantom Black - 172MO
    13. Johnnyjohnjohns - Ioniq BEV - Aurora Silver - 172D
    14. this.lad - Ioniq BEV - Polar White - 172
    15. CarefulNow! - Ioniq BEV - Polar White - 172D
    16. Moreilly - Ioniq BEV - Phantom Black - 172KE
    17. Neleven - Ioniq BEV - Phantom Black - 172 WW
    18. DglFlyer -Ioniq BEV - Phantom Black - 171 CE
    19. jeremy_g - Ioniq BEV - Platinum Silver - 171WW
    20. miamee - Ioniq BEV - Marina Blue - 172D
    21. Cocolola - Ioniq BEV - Phantom Black - 172G
    22. RonanFarrell - Ioniq BEV - Polar White - 172G
    23. rgunning - Ioniq BEV - Polar White - 171D
    24. Doc el brown - Ioniq BEV - Polar White - 172WW
    25. Fitz213 - Ioniq BEV - Phantom Black - 171D
    26. lafors - Ioniq BEV - - 181D
    27. squishey - Ioniq BEV - Polar White - 181D
    28. Ewan Hoosarmi - Ioniq BEV - Platinum Silver - 181?
    29. peaceboi - Ioniq BEV - Blazing Yellow - 171D
    30. irishgrover - Ioniq BEV - Marina Blue - 181 G
    31. fricatus - Ioniq BEV - Polar White - 181
    32. zg3409 - Ioniq BEV - Marina Blue 171 G (Dublin area)
    33. BigAl81 - Ioniq BEV - White - 191-D
    34. Mighty Munster - Ioniq BEV - Phantom Black 191MH
    35. OffalyMedic- Ioniq BEV- Phantom Black- 181L (Laois)
    36. Casher - Ioniq BEV - Phantom Black - 191WW
    37. iggy - Ioniq BEV - Phantom Black - 191D
    38. Deegs - ioniq - polar white with groovy black roof wrap 191c
    39. shanemkelly - Ioniq BEV - Phantom Black - 171D
    40. PATMAC - Ioniq BEV - Aurora Silver - 191RN
    41. Fishy1 - Ioniq BEV - Polar White - 181W
    42. jjcahill78 - ioniq BEV - Fiery red - 191 CW
    43. relgoog - Ioniq BEV - Iron Grey - 182D
    44. Black_Knight - Ioniq BEV - Polar White - 171CE
    45. beanian - Ioniq BEV - Polar White - 191D
    46. adunis - Ioniq BEV - White - 171L
    47. this.lad - Ioniq BEV - 192

I have used EV notify https://github.com/EVNotify/EVNotify/wiki/Compatibility which is a free app intended for Hyundai EVs. It uses standard off the shelf odb dongles (Bluetooth not WiFi) and runs on a smartphone. It logs things like charger percentage and can send a message to a second phone to say your car is charged. It might do much of what you want and is ioniq compatible. I mainly wanted to use it to monitor charge status and percentage while charging at public fast chargers, so I could stay in a nearby cafe and be confident car was charging, and leave as soon as charging stopped. If you are using it at your home the phone in the car might be able to connect using home WiFi so phone in car may not need a sim card. Worth a play and free.

Talk to a specialist back street body shop. They would probably want to buy a new or used grill (as others have said you can buy new online and possibly cheaper than dealer). You would be amazed what specialist can do in terms of repair. I have seen them fix bumpers I assumed would need replacing. If in south east Dublin or near airport PM me and I can recommend some places.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement