Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Hyundai Ioniq 28kWh

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 220 ✭✭turnfan

Finally, if you want to reduce initial stress further... pick it up on Thursday instead of Friday... Friday tends to be a busier day for chargers...

Ye will all laugh....it's always been good luck to pick up a car on a Friday...:o
    I can only get off early that day.

No seriously thanks for all the advice guys, I'll take a more indirect route and take some additional chargers in.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 450 ✭✭beanian

Just got an OBD adapter to use with EVNotify/RaspberryPi but every time I power the car down I cant connect to it, even when charging. My understanding is that the port remains powered, and indeed there is a light on on the ODB adapter however it is not contactable via bluetooth until I power the car on.
    Is this normal?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,496 ✭✭✭irishgrover

beanian wrote: »
    Just got an OBD adapter to use with EVNotify/RaspberryPi but every time I power the car down I cant connect to it, even when charging. My understanding is that the port remains powered, and indeed there is a light on on the ODB adapter however it is not contactable via bluetooth until I power the car on.
    Is this normal?

some random ideas
    1. you say that the adapter remains powered on and that the light is on. Can you confirm the same for the device you are trying to connect it to - ie how is your Pi powered? If plugged into USB it will die when the car powers off.

2. I would suggest (and you may already be doing this) trying to connect with a phone and the torque or EVNotify app it might be easier to troubleshoot.

3. Ensure that the device you are trying to connect to the odb dongle is NOT already connected to the IONIQ headunit - I would actually consider unpairing the device from the car permanently in order to help setup / troubleshoot. (assuming its connected to anything)

4. Some BT devices are set up to turned off BT automatically if disconnected from a BT device. For exmpel, it might be that your phone / device is alerady ocnencted to the IONIQ BT, when the car turns off, it notices that the connection is gone, and auto turns off BT on the device / phone.
    Hope this does not send you on a wild goose chase..

• Registered Users Posts: 33 cafard

Folks, thanks for all the stuff posted in here. Was on the market for an EV for a few months, with the Leaf 40 my lead contender (size, features, price...) before finding out about the Ioniq which seemed incredibly similar. In addition to the various reviews all around, this thread helped me a lot in making the call between the two cars, and I finally got my hands on a black Ioniq Electric at the weekend. Absolutely over the moon with it right now, particularly as it was close to my last chance to grab a 28 kWh model before they increase battery size and, critically, price.

Silly question and I'll ask the dealer when we meet again soon, but where does one grab the offline maps for the in-built navigation? I see the sd slot, but not sure where to grab the maps themselves. Not a big deal as Android Auto does the job, but it might be handy when I can't be bothered tethering the phone.

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,406 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

cafard wrote: »
    Folks, thanks for all the stuff posted in here. Was on the market for an EV for a few months, with the Leaf 40 my lead contender (size, features, price...) before finding out about the Ioniq which seemed incredibly similar. In addition to the various reviews all around, this thread helped me a lot in making the call between the two cars, and I finally got my hands on a black Ioniq Electric at the weekend. Absolutely over the moon with it right now, particularly as it was close to my last chance to grab a 28 kWh model before they increase battery size and, critically, price.

Silly question and I'll ask the dealer when we meet again soon, but where does one grab the offline maps for the in-built navigation? I see the sd slot, but not sure where to grab the maps themselves. Not a big deal as Android Auto does the job, but it might be handy when I can't be bothered tethering the phone.

Well wear with the new car!

The only official way to get the updated maps is through the dealer but Silent Running did post a link to an unofficial source for the newer maps earlier in the thread:
    2019 satnav maps available.

Download for the brave... heads-up for the not so brave to get their dealer to install. :D

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1YWxmi4ZU8JTfTCfRO9dgfWyhINWR_mHN/view

Ah, cheers for that. Will check with the dealer first I guess, less effort if it's something they can do for free. But that link might come in handy.

some random ideas
    1. you say that the adapter remains powered on and that the light is on. Can you confirm the same for the device you are trying to connect it to - ie how is your Pi powered? If plugged into USB it will die when the car powers off.

2. I would suggest (and you may already be doing this) trying to connect with a phone and the torque or EVNotify app it might be easier to troubleshoot.

3. Ensure that the device you are trying to connect to the odb dongle is NOT already connected to the IONIQ headunit - I would actually consider unpairing the device from the car permanently in order to help setup / troubleshoot. (assuming its connected to anything)

4. Some BT devices are set up to turned off BT automatically if disconnected from a BT device. For exmpel, it might be that your phone / device is alerady ocnencted to the IONIQ BT, when the car turns off, it notices that the connection is gone, and auto turns off BT on the device / phone.
    Hope this does not send you on a wild goose chase..

So forgetting the Pi completely (it's located inside my garage) I can repro this behaviour using just EVNotify. As soon as I turn off the car it loses connectivity to the dongle. The dongle also isn't visible when scanning for bluetooth devices while the car is switched off. The bluetooth on my phone is always on as I use it for lots of other stuff also.
    Has anyone been able to connect using EV Notify while the car is off?

beanian wrote: »
    So forgetting the Pi completely (it's located inside my garage) I can repro this behaviour using just EVNotify. As soon as I turn off the car it loses connectivity to the dongle. The dongle also isn't visible when scanning for bluetooth devices while the car is switched off. The bluetooth on my phone is always on as I use it for lots of other stuff also.
    Has anyone been able to connect using EV Notify while the car is off?

have you tried same when the car is actively charging?

have you tried same when the car is actively charging?
    Yeah, same problem. When charging (granny cable) the OBD adapter is offline.
    I'm just not sure if it is expected behaviour or other people can connect while the car is turned off

• Moderators Posts: 12,386 ✭✭✭✭Black_Knight

jusmeig wrote: »
    1. Fiery mutant - Ioniq BEV - Polar White - 171WH
    2. liamog - Ioniq BEV - Phantom Black - 171D
    3. zale - Ioniq BEV - Phantom Black 171WH
    4. unkel - Ioniq BEV - Platinum Silver - 171D
    5. Mope - Ioniq BEV - Platinum Silver - 171D
    6. thelikelylad - Ioniq BEV - Polar White - 171C
    7. woppers - Ioniq BEV - Polar White - 171WX
    8. don't be at yourself - Ioniq BEV - Polar White - 171D
    9. Ballylad - Ioniq BEV - Phantom Black - 171CW
    10. Coconut Joe - Ioniq BEV - Polar White - 172D
    11. Macker - Ioniq BEV - Marina Blue - 181D
    12. Fermi - Ioniq BEV - Phantom Black - 172MO
    13. Johnnyjohnjohns - Ioniq BEV - Aurora Silver - 172D
    14. this.lad - Ioniq BEV - Polar White - 172
    15. CarefulNow! - Ioniq BEV - Polar White - 172D
    16. Moreilly - Ioniq BEV - Phantom Black - 172KE
    17. Neleven - Ioniq BEV - Phantom Black - 172 WW
    18. DglFlyer -Ioniq BEV - Phantom Black - 171 CE
    19. jeremy_g - Ioniq BEV - Platinum Silver - 171WW
    20. miamee - Ioniq BEV - Marina Blue - 172D
    21. Cocolola - Ioniq BEV - Phantom Black - 172G
    22. RonanFarrell - Ioniq BEV - Polar White - 172G
    23. rgunning - Ioniq BEV - Polar White - 171D
    24. Doc el brown - Ioniq BEV - Polar White - 172WW
    25. Fitz213 - Ioniq BEV - Phantom Black - 171D
    26. lafors - Ioniq BEV - - 181D
    27. squishey - Ioniq BEV - Polar White - 181D
    28. Ewan Hoosarmi - Ioniq BEV - Platinum Silver - 181?
    29. peaceboi - Ioniq BEV - Blazing Yellow - 171D
    30. irishgrover - Ioniq BEV - Marina Blue - 181 G
    31. fricatus - Ioniq BEV - Polar White - 181
    32. zg3409 - Ioniq BEV - Marina Blue 171 G (Dublin area)
    33. BigAl81 - Ioniq BEV - White - 191-D
    34. Mighty Munster - Ioniq BEV - Phantom Black 191MH
    35. OffalyMedic- Ioniq BEV- Phantom Black- 181L (Laois)
    36. Casher - Ioniq BEV - Phantom Black - 191WW
    37. iggy - Ioniq BEV - Phantom Black - 191D
    38. Deegs - ioniq - polar white with groovy black roof wrap 191c
    39. shanemkelly - Ioniq BEV - Phantom Black - 171D
    40. PATMAC - Ioniq BEV - Aurora Silver - 191RN
    41. Fishy1 - Ioniq BEV - Polar White - 181W
    42. jjcahill78 - ioniq BEV - Fiery red - 191 CW
    43. relgoog - Ioniq BEV - Iron Grey - 182D
    44. Black_Knight - Ioniq BEV - Polar White - 171CE
    45. beanian - Ioniq BEV - Polar White - 191D
    46. adunis - Ioniq BEV - White - 171L
    47. this.lad - Ioniq BEV - 192
    48. jusmeig - Ioniq BEV - 181D

GET ON THE LIST!

Congrats!

• Advertisement

beanian wrote:
    ......Has anyone been able to connect using EV Notify while the car is off?

I just updated the evn app to latest version and CAN connect when the car is turned off. It's currently in the drive, locked and charging and I'm connected....

Based on what you said you will have same result with torque or other apps....

Sounds like a problem with the dongle getting power/needing too much power... Is it new?

Absolutely over the moon with it right now, particularly as it was close to my last chance to grab a 28 kWh model before they increase battery size and, critically, price.

Great minds think alike! I'll have mine this weekend all going well. I always thought the Ioniq was a compromised EV due to the different variants, it's anything but. Just wished I got it sooner, all that diesel burned.....

I just updated the evn app to latest version and CAN connect when the car is turned off. It's currently in the drive, locked and charging and I'm connected....

Based on what you said you will have same result with torque or other apps....

Sounds like a problem with the dongle getting power/needing too much power... Is it new?
    Yeah just got it. When you are not charging can you connect?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 65,745 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

turnfan wrote: »
    I always thought the Ioniq was a compromised EV due to the different variants, it's anything but.

It is compromised, in the sense that it could have been packaged better had it been built from the ground up as EV only. The boot is not very deep, the headroom in the rear is not the best and there is no frunk. But none of these are any worse than the competition (ICE or other EVs) so it doesn't matter

But it is good to see some EVs that were designed as EV only and it working really well, like the Teslas. I'm looking forward to having a good look at the Golf size on the outside, but seemingly Passat size on the inside ID.3

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,239 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

unkel wrote: »
    It is compromised, in the sense that it could have been packaged better had it been built from the ground up as EV only. The boot is not very deep, the headroom in the rear is not the best and there is no frunk. But none of these are any worse than the competition (ICE or other EVs) so it doesn't matter

But it is good to see some EVs that were designed as EV only and it working really well, like the Teslas. I'm looking forward to having a good look at the Golf size on the outside, but seemingly Passat size on the inside ID.3
    The worst compromise of all is the stupid location for the charge port

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,819 ✭✭✭Silent Running

ELM327 wrote: »

Yet the purpose built ID3 has the charger in the same location, albeit on the other side.

Yet the purpose built ID3 has the charger in the same location, albeit on the other side.
    That's also stupid.

I had an Ioniq for a year so it's not like I'm hurling from the ditches here.
    It's a great car IMO let down by the drop in winter range (seeming greater than other cars) and the poor choice of charger location. Make it like the Kona EV!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,819 ✭✭✭Silent Running

That's also stupid.

I had an Ioniq for a year so it's not like I'm hurling from the ditches here.
    It's a great car IMO let down by the drop in winter range (seeming greater than other cars) and the poor choice of charger location. Make it like the Kona EV!

I agree with you on the port location, and I've no idea why VW put it there. My preference would be central at the back. I struggled to connect the Ioniq many times, especially at Coynes Cross. With the slant parking and short cables it felt like it was specifically designed to piss off Ioniq drivers.

I have the Niro now with the port in the front at the passenger side. I'd much rather reverse into a parking/charging spot, but it's better than having the port on the side. Maybe if we had chargers lined up like petrol pumps... but we don't.

The boot depth is my only niggle alright, the Leaf's looked far more spacious. Regarding charge port, I'm a bit confused to see people complaining about it, I *love* having it back there as I pretty much always reverse park. Being forced to park forward to access work chargers would have annoyed me to no end so right now I can only see upsides. I presume there are weird parking/charging layouts I've yet to discover.

• Advertisement
  • Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,406 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

The boot depth is my only niggle alright, the Leaf's looked far more spacious. Regarding charge port, I'm a bit confused to see people complaining about it, I *love* having it back there as I pretty much always reverse park. Being forced to park forward to access work chargers would have annoyed me to no end so right now I can only see upsides. I presume there are weird parking/charging layouts I've yet to discover.

The issue with the port location is you can only use the left space at all the ESB rapid chargers.

1. Fiery mutant - Ioniq BEV - Polar White - 171WH
    2. liamog - Ioniq BEV - Phantom Black - 171D
    3. zale - Ioniq BEV - Phantom Black 171WH
    4. unkel - Ioniq BEV - Platinum Silver - 171D
    5. Mope - Ioniq BEV - Platinum Silver - 171D
    6. thelikelylad - Ioniq BEV - Polar White - 171C
    7. woppers - Ioniq BEV - Polar White - 171WX
    8. don't be at yourself - Ioniq BEV - Polar White - 171D
    9. Ballylad - Ioniq BEV - Phantom Black - 171CW
    10. Coconut Joe - Ioniq BEV - Polar White - 172D
    11. Macker - Ioniq BEV - Marina Blue - 181D
    12. Fermi - Ioniq BEV - Phantom Black - 172MO
    13. Johnnyjohnjohns - Ioniq BEV - Aurora Silver - 172D
    14. this.lad - Ioniq BEV - Polar White - 172
    15. CarefulNow! - Ioniq BEV - Polar White - 172D
    16. Moreilly - Ioniq BEV - Phantom Black - 172KE
    17. Neleven - Ioniq BEV - Phantom Black - 172 WW
    18. DglFlyer -Ioniq BEV - Phantom Black - 171 CE
    19. jeremy_g - Ioniq BEV - Platinum Silver - 171WW
    20. miamee - Ioniq BEV - Marina Blue - 172D
    21. Cocolola - Ioniq BEV - Phantom Black - 172G
    22. RonanFarrell - Ioniq BEV - Polar White - 172G
    23. rgunning - Ioniq BEV - Polar White - 171D
    24. Doc el brown - Ioniq BEV - Polar White - 172WW
    25. Fitz213 - Ioniq BEV - Phantom Black - 171D
    26. lafors - Ioniq BEV - - 181D
    27. squishey - Ioniq BEV - Polar White - 181D
    28. Ewan Hoosarmi - Ioniq BEV - Platinum Silver - 181?
    29. peaceboi - Ioniq BEV - Blazing Yellow - 171D
    30. irishgrover - Ioniq BEV - Marina Blue - 181 G
    31. fricatus - Ioniq BEV - Polar White - 181
    32. zg3409 - Ioniq BEV - Marina Blue 171 G (Dublin area)
    33. BigAl81 - Ioniq BEV - White - 191-D
    34. Mighty Munster - Ioniq BEV - Phantom Black 191MH
    35. OffalyMedic- Ioniq BEV- Phantom Black- 181L (Laois)
    36. Casher - Ioniq BEV - Phantom Black - 191WW
    37. iggy - Ioniq BEV - Phantom Black - 191D
    38. Deegs - ioniq - polar white with groovy black roof wrap 191c
    39. shanemkelly - Ioniq BEV - Phantom Black - 171D
    40. PATMAC - Ioniq BEV - Aurora Silver - 191RN
    41. Fishy1 - Ioniq BEV - Polar White - 181W
    42. jjcahill78 - ioniq BEV - Fiery red - 191 CW
    43. relgoog - Ioniq BEV - Iron Grey - 182D
    44. Black_Knight - Ioniq BEV - Polar White - 171CE
    45. beanian - Ioniq BEV - Polar White - 191D
    46. adunis - Ioniq BEV - White - 171L
    47. this.lad - Ioniq BEV - 192
    48. jusmeig - Ioniq BEV - 181D
    49. cafard - Ioniq BEV - Phantom Black - 192G

It means for most fast chargers you cannot access it easily or at all if one side is blocked

Longford, Coynes Cross, Laghey in Donegal immediately spring to mind.

Right, haven't used any of these and probably won't for a long while, so it'll probably come as a shock when it happens. I guess centre back would have been the ideal plug spot.

Location of the charge point is exactly where it should be. Where it has been on ICE cars for many, many decades

Problem is that electric charging spaces somehow were setup in a different way to petrol stations. Like they wanted to re-invent the wheel. Well, it didn't work! Thankfully the likes of Tesla and Ionity are now generally seeing this and setting up their chargers in the same way as petrol stations. Unfortunately not all of them though...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 827 ✭✭✭Round Cable

Location of the charge point is exactly where it should be. Where it has been on ICE cars for many, many decades

I prefer it on the front to be honest, I'll be looking to upgrade the Leaf next year, and the three main candidates are Ioniq (38 kWh), ID.3 or eCorsa. Sadly, each of them have the charge ports to the rear like an ICE. First word problems, I suppose.

• Advertisement

Problem is that electric charging spaces somehow were setup in a different way to petrol stations. Like they wanted to re-invent the wheel. Well, it didn't work! Thankfully the likes of Tesla and Ionity are now generally seeing this and setting up their chargers in the same way as petrol stations. Unfortunately not all of them though...
    It was there on ICE cars (although not all of them, see the yank tanks from the 70's or before) for decades because the necessisituy to fill the tank location.

On the front is easier, but for continuity it can be on the side, but if so, as you mention, the chargers should be located as such

ELM327 wrote:
    It was there on ICE cars (although not all of them, see the yank tanks from the 70's or before) for decades because the necessisituy to fill the tank location.

Back in the 90's I moved to America. I rented a big old car for "Bob's Rent a wreck", in Manassas, VA. After a couple of days went to put gas in it. Spent 5 mins, pump in hand looking for a place to insert the nozzle. Notices a guy in a pick up looking and laughing at me. Eventually he got out and showed me where it was.... hidden behind the back number plate, which was on a spring hinge.

Back in the 90's I moved to America. I rented a big old car for "Bob's Rent a wreck", in Manassas, VA. After a couple of days went to put gas in it. Spent 5 mins, pump in hand looking for a place to insert the nozzle. Notices a guy in a pick up looking and laughing at me. Eventually he got out and showed me where it was.... hidden behind the back number plate, which was on a spring hinge.
    Yeah that was pretty common, any mopar from the 70's or back had it there (including my 68 plymouth, I had a similar incident to you but in Ireland thankfully). Other cars had it in the rear light cluster!

Biggest gripe I have with the Ioniq, and probably lots of EVs, is the cables. There's zero consideration give to how they'll be stowed in the boot. Sure there's a well under the boot carpet where it can go, but
    1. It's not designed to hold the cable, so it's wasteful and frequently causes the boot floor to balance on a stray part of the cable
    2. Putting things in the boot makes it a right pain to get the cable out
    3. The granny cable in it's bag/box can't fit under there, so I end up not bringing it with me (wonder when that'll bite me in the ass).

I'd love to see someone hack a "frunk housing" that'd sit under the bonnet, but above the engine bag gubbins. Be handy to stow cables there.

Biggest gripe I have with the Ioniq, and probably lots of EVs, is the cables. There's zero consideration give to how they'll be stowed in the boot. Sure there's a well under the boot carpet where it can go, but
    1. It's not designed to hold the cable, so it's wasteful and frequently causes the boot floor to balance on a stray part of the cable
    3. The granny cable in it's bag/box can't fit under there, so I end up not bringing it with me (wonder when that'll bite me in the ass).

I'd love to see someone hack a "frunk housing" that'd sit under the bonnet, but above the engine bag gubbins. Be handy to stow cables there.

Not sure I can dox the name (in case he posts here) but the organizer of the last EV meetup at the Cashel Ionity charger showed us the hack he made for a frunk in his Kona.

• Advertisement

Not sure I can dox the name (in case he posts here) but the organizer of the last EV meetup at the Cashel Ionity charger showed us the hack he made for a frunk in his Kona.

I seen some video of someone showing how easy it would be to store things under the bonnet, that there's loads of room there. I assume it doesn't get hot under the bonnet. At least not significantly hot.

You're not doing it right :p

Get rid of the big hard plastic cover in the boot under the lid. This will now give you sufficient space for both the normal cable and the granny charger - both without their bags - and some shopping bags, etc. :cool:

You're not doing it right :p

Get rid of the big hard plastic cover in the boot under the lid. This will now give you sufficient space for both the normal cable and the granny charger - both without their bags - and some shopping bags, etc. :cool:

But then loading in and out of the car will be compromised, and regardless, anything I do load would be being loaded on top of the cables. I just want an independant storage area for the charging cables.

You've reminded me of another thing. Shopping bag hooks in the boot! Never knew I needed them so much until I don't have them.

I find with the boot liner I don't need shopping bag hooks. Worth picking one up.

But then loading in and out of the car will be compromised

How? Yeah if your boot is full and your cable is underneath, you have a wee challenge alright. You'd have to take your shopping out :p

Agreed though, in an EV designed from the ground up there should be enough room for a frunk in which you can store the cables independently. But most EVs don't have this, even the ones designed as pure EVs like the Leafs. All that said, I rarely use the cables. I just have them with me in case I ever got stuck.

Mickeroo wrote: »
    I find with the boot liner I don't need shopping bag hooks. Worth picking one up.

I have the boot liner. If anything I find stuff slides around much more on it.
    Or are you talking about the net that attaches to the floor of the boot? I'm tempted to cut holes in the boot liner so I can use the net through it.

I have the boot liner. If anything I find stuff slides around much more on it.
    Or are you talking about the net that attaches to the floor of the boot? I'm tempted to cut holes in the boot liner so I can use the net through it.

No it's a rubber boot liner. I thought the official boot liner had holes for the hooks!

The one I have is official but it's actually for the hybrid that doesn't have the woofer, so I have a bit sticking up by the woofer. It works fine though and nothing slides around on it. The charge cables in their bags are pretty much rooted to the spot with it.

Mickeroo wrote: »
    No it's a rubber boot liner. I thought the official boot liner had holes for the hooks!

The one I have is official but it's actually for the hybrid that doesn't have the woofer, so I have a bit sticking up by the woofer. It works fine though and nothing slides around on it. The charge cables in their bags are pretty much rooted to the spot with it.

Yup. That's the one I have. Official Hyundai one, but no holes for the hooks/net. It's not grippy though. Gear bag and what not slide around on it. Any sort of cornering and the shopping goes everywhere.

Yup. That's the one I have. Official Hyundai one, but no holes for the hooks/net. It's not grippy though. Gear bag and what not slide around on it. Any sort of cornering and the shopping goes everywhere.

Had a look when I got home. Here it is.
    IMG-20190724-164555.jpg

Had a quick look under the bonnet too. Surely could fit a pouch attached to the bonnet itself. Just no idea of the material or how to go about making one.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 285 ✭✭this.lad

Can anyone recommend a good bike rack for the ioniq

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,385 ✭✭✭baldshin

After what seems like an eternity of searching, I finally have a deposit down on a 172 Polar White BEV Ioniq! Hopefully collecting midweek next week!

• Registered Users Posts: 671 ✭✭✭adunis

baldshin wrote: »
    After what seems like an eternity of searching, I finally have a deposit down on a 172 Polar White BEV Ioniq! Hopefully collecting midweek next week!

Well wear

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,003 ✭✭✭iggy

Got roof bars and roof box. I was dreading what the drop in range would be.
    GOM showing 220kms when setting off.
    Round trip was 150km. Mostly moterway driving. Lucan to Hidden Valley in Rathdrum Wicklow.
    Got home with 35kms to spare driving about 110kmh on motorway.
    Not bad as I thought I may have needed a quick charge but I'm happy with that.

That's pretty decent. Better than I imagined. That said, the last few days have been exceptionally good for EVs with little wind and temps a few degrees over 20C. 110km/h indicated in Ioniq is 105km/h GPS and I bet on most of your trip you did not make that (believe me, I try on those roads often and I rarely succeed :p)

At sustained 120km/h GPS speed your range would have dropped drastically

How was Hidden Valley? Haven't been myself but have heard good things

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,003 ✭✭✭iggy

That's pretty decent. Better than I imagined. That said, the last few days have been exceptionally good for EVs with little wind and temps a few degrees over 20C. 110km/h indicated in Ioniq is 105km/h GPS and I bet on most of your trip you did not make that (believe me, I try on those roads often and I rarely succeed :p)

At sustained 120km/h GPS speed your range would have dropped drastically

How was Hidden Valley? Haven't been myself but have heard good things
    Was good. Kids loved it. Aqua Park is great fun.
    Car was loaded fully. I mean stuffed full.
    Had a hyundai tucson before the ioniq but still managed to bring everything in the ioniq that would normally come.

Usually do a trip to Morris Castle camping too. This now will not be a problem with Ionity at Gorey which is brilliant.

Also I do a few trips to enniscorthy a month which now has become alot easier. Hassle free driving.
    €8 to drive to enniscorthy and back hassle free. I'll take that any day

After almost 2.5 years with Ioniq now, I start to appreciate it more. With a few more Ionity multibay chargers dotted around the country, it's all the family car we'll ever need really. Impressed a few more Audi A4 and BMW 3-series owners today ferrying them around.

Picked up mine last night. 2 quick charges to get from Tyrone to Galway via M1 M4 M6. Painless stuff after a dodgy charger in Bainbridge. Don't need to see another Applegreen for a while.

Today will be spent reading the manual and demoing!

Thanks all, esp Irishgrover who went out of his way to help show me how to charge and the typical problems encountered.

Ye are a good bunch!

turnfan wrote: »
    Picked up mine last night. 2 quick charges to get from Tyrone to Galway via M1 M4 M6. Painless stuff after a dodgy charger in Bainbridge. Don't need to see another Applegreen for a while.

Today will be spent reading the manual and demoing!

Thanks all, esp Irishgrover who went out of his way to help show me how to charge and the typical problems encountered.

Ye are a good bunch!

Expect the infotainment screens in the manual to all be out of date.

As for all ye and yer 220+gom range, damn you! I charged last night to 100%... 206km. In hoping it's because most if not all my driving is short stop start driving. And a big hill.

Right, silly question time: is there any way to operate the windows without turning on the main power button? Also related: does turning the car on interrupt the current charge or can you switch the car on/off while charging without interrupting it?

Context is me using a quick charger for the first time at the weekend, and discovering I had left my window open after starting the charge. Wasn't too sure if it was a good idea to turn the car on with the charger attached and didn't want to interrupt the process either, so ended up waiting the 20 minutes in the car.

• Advertisement

Right, silly question time: is there any way to operate the windows without turning on the main power button? NO Also related: does turning the car on interrupt the current charge or can you switch the car on/off while charging without interrupting it? No, you can turn on and off the car as you wish, just make sure it is off when the car is doing the handshake with the charger

Context is me using a quick charger for the first time at the weekend, and discovering I had left my window open after starting the charge. Wasn't too sure if it was a good idea to turn the car on with the charger attached and didn't want to interrupt the process either, so ended up waiting the 20 minutes in the car.

hope that helps

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement