Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Hyundai Ioniq 28kWh

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 33 cafard

Cheers. Will be handy to be able to open and close the windows as needed during a charge from now on!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,081 ✭✭✭fricatus

cafard wrote: »
    Cheers. Will be handy to be able to open and close the windows as needed during a charge from now on!

I think you should put your foot on the brake when starting, so that it pulls power from the high-voltage battery rather than the 12V system. That said, it shouldn't be too much of a drain on the 12V battery if you're just putting the windows up or down, but if you're listening to the radio or fooling around with the sat-nav/infotainment, you would need the full system running.

• Moderators Posts: 12,386 ✭✭✭✭Black_Knight

cafard wrote: »

You won't be constantly opening the door in order to check the charging time remaining either. I did this when I first got the car. Constantly opening/closing the door so the charge time would display. Spotted a few new Ioniq owners doing the same since. Gives me the lols

You won't be constantly opening the door in order to check the charging time remaining either. I did this when I first got the car. Constantly opening/closing the door so the charge time would display. Spotted a few new Ioniq owners doing the same since. Gives me the lols

Funny you'd say that, the wife asked me to stop constantly opening and closing the door on that day. :o

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,188 ✭✭✭kennethsmyth

iggy wrote: »
    Got roof bars and roof box. I was dreading what the drop in range would be.
    GOM showing 220kms when setting off.
    Round trip was 150km. Mostly moterway driving. Lucan to Hidden Valley in Rathdrum Wicklow.
    Got home with 35kms to spare driving about 110kmh on motorway.
    Not bad as I thought I may have needed a quick charge but I'm happy with that.

Did this with an L40 in France, yep you lose about 25% - admittedly I was in torrential rain etc. so could only do 90kph actual.

Long journeys with roofbox - can totally be done but I would avoid if only for the fact you might forget its on the roof!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,003 ✭✭✭iggy

Here's a link if anyone wants.
    https://www.aliexpress.com/item/32898652492.html
    Ordered June 24th, and only noticed them in the office mailroom yesterday.

Do these replace the original pedal covers or what way they go on?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,822 ✭✭✭Old diesel

Did this with an L40 in France, yep you lose about 25% - admittedly I was in torrential rain etc. so could only do 90kph actual.

Long journeys with roofbox - can totally be done but I would avoid if only for the fact you might forget its on the roof!

How did you manage rapidgate on that trip????.

Old diesel wrote: »

Quick version as I don't want to derail as this is an Ioniq thread.

I was going Cherbourg to Carnac (originally was to be Roscoff to Carnac) with full roofbox and two ebikes on the back along with wife and two kids!

This trip was to involve 3 half hour charges on the way down to be sure of getting there with roofbox.

I messed up on way down to Carnac as panicked when I couldnt get the first charge point to work (obvious to me now a quick call would of reset it). So I went 30 mins in wrong direction to get to a different charger - nice town so said to wifey lets have dinner here.

Unfortunately let the car charge to above 95% on first charge so totally overheated the car. The second and third charge where at 22kw because of this.

On way back stuck to plan of 3 half hour or so charges and it worked great.

My car has updated bms and in fairness I did use leafspy to ensure I got last charge under a certain temperature.

I have all the screenshots/stats but have had no time to put it together.

The car could of done it in two stops without the roofbox and the ridiculous rain at the time.

I got back to cherbourg with 30% (enough to get home from Dublin port) but this time I arrived at port so early on way back me and another tesla (brand new black model s P100D) where put on ferry first and plugged in on board by type 2 ( I think it was 3.3kW on the WB Yeats).

Would I do it again - yes but if I could do it without the roofbox it would be easier, in fairness the extra weight of bikes etc. didnt seem to affect the car too much and the trip was intended originally to only be from Roscoff to Carnac which would be much easier.

Fast chargers in France can be in weird places - good weird if there where toilets beside them!. eg off a motorway/dual carriageway in an industrial area but no facilities - this means that they are only used when needed and people charge and move on.

PS I had a campsite hookup with adapter to euro plug (16amp on lead) with rcbo and this meant the whole trip only cost me approx. 44 euros for almost 1200kms by end of the 2 weeks.

Old diesel wrote: »

Sorry last post wasnt the quickest version!

Rapidgate on new bms not that much of problem so long as you are not a pleb and charge to too high of a rate on your first charge.

You are however talking about a max of 4 fast charges a day otherwise its going to be very slow.

Last thing, propilot made the driving very comfortable and I was no where near as tired at end of journeys as I had on previous trips.

iggy wrote: »
    Do these replace the original pedal covers or what way they go on?

Brake pedal is replaced, simply just peels off. Can easily go back on though.
    Accelerator one covers the existing accelerator pedal. They're a nice tight fit so no fear of them slipping off.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,385 ✭✭✭baldshin

Picked up my 172 Ioniq today and drive it home to Galway from Cork.

In that one trip I've driven 3% of the total mileage on the car!!

Stopped in Limerick for a quick top up, got from 49% to 90% in about 20 minutes and even met a really helpful member of the EV community who showed me how things worked and didn't mind waiting for me!

Also spotted a white Ioniq with black grill and roof between Cork and Limerick- any of you guys!? And another black with a black grill closer to Limerick, wasn't sure if there's an Ioniq etiquette of waving!!

baldshin wrote: »
    Picked up my 172 Ioniq today and drive it home to Galway from Cork.

In that one trip I've driven 3% of the total mileage on the car!!

Stopped in Limerick for a quick top up, got from 49% to 90% in about 20 minutes and even met a really helpful member of the EV community who showed me how things worked and didn't mind waiting for me!

Also spotted a white Ioniq with black grill and roof between Cork and Limerick- any of you guys!? And another black with a black grill closer to Limerick, wasn't sure if there's an Ioniq etiquette of waving!!

I subscribe to the Ioniq etiquette of waving.

Let us know how you get on with that (OBD flexible extender cable), as need to do the same thing, and we appear to have same dongle

This was somewhat successful. It seems to plug in fine and power the dongle, but there's pretty much zero clearance between the OBD area cover and the OBD2 port itself. I ended up using the extender cable, but also unmounting the OBD2 port a bit, and pushing it back slightly (3-5mm id say).

In the pic below, i've ever so slightly released the OBD2 port from its mount. The clip to the right (and left out of shot) of the extender was just pushed in and it slid back a few mill to give clearance.

96c5bfff099188b39a606204077ec30a.png

I'll secure the dongle with some velcro or something.

So after night 1 of home charging with the granny cable, I can't unplug the thing! I've tried making sure everything is unlocked using the keys/door buttons but it won't release. Any ideas??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,586 ✭✭✭✭Dont be at yourself

So after night 1 of home charging with the granny cable, I can't unplug the thing! I've tried making sure everything is unlocked using the keys/door buttons but it won't release. Any ideas??

Is the car turned off completely?

Theres an emergency release cord under the boot liner if it's still stuck.

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,406 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

It will only stay unlocked for a short while after the car is unlocked I think. So stand next to the charge port, lock the car, unlock the car, then try.

I vaguely remember having similar issues when I first got the car too.

Aye I've tried locking/unlocking while stood right at the charger. The only cable I can find is just to open the door for the charger- it's a thin wire with a tab on the end?

Edit- found the second cable and used that to release the plug. Hopefully it's not a regular issue.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,122 ✭✭✭BigAl81

baldshin wrote:
    Edit- found the second cable and used that to release the plug. Hopefully it's not a regular issue.

I use the granny cable a lot and never had any issues. It shouldn't happen so may be a trip to the garage for a service if it happens again.

• Registered Users Posts: 111 ✭✭jeremy_g

it happened to me once or twice in 2 and a half years of ownership, always with 3.6 kWh chargers. last time I remember I needed to start the charge again and stop it to get the car to disengage the cable. For me I know there was a recall for the actuator and they haven't change it yet...

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,406 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

I definitely had issues like the above with the granny cable too. Try starting it charging again, then stopping etc.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,227 ✭✭✭Kramer

.......spotted........another black with a black grill closer to Limerick......

Where abouts & at what time? May have been Mrs Kramer - I'll ask.
    Picked up my 172 Ioniq today

Well wear - remember, keep it between the ditches & rubber side down :D.

Kramer wrote: »
    Where abouts & at what time? May have been Mrs Kramer - I'll ask.

Well wear - remember, keep it between the ditches & rubber side down :D.

Heading away from Limerick on the Kilmallock road I believe!

Haha thanks, last decent car I owned was a Kia ProCeed which unfortunately ended rubber side up a month after buying it! This better not be the same!

Only ever encountered one face to face, funnily enough on my second day with it after never ever seeing one on the road so far. Another black EV who was waiting to take up the parking spot I was leaving. Vehicle recognition immediately brought up smiles and thumbs up on both sides. :)

Heading away from Limerick on the Kilmallock road I believe!

Asked her - she was on that road so it definitely was her! She said she didn't pass another Ioniq though.
    Were you in your new Ioniq then or on the way to collect it?
    She was heading away from Limerick just after 2pm but probably came back much later.

4Nfyjlq.jpg

That's it with the black wrap on the front.

Few more from the fast charger in Ballysimon earlier this year when 4 Ioniq BEVs happened to show up at the same time!

60jKxoG.jpg

last decent car...............ended rubber side up a month after buying it!

Ouch! :(. Hope no one was injured.

Take it easy out there - lot of nutcases on the roads these days :)

...........need to resize my images :D.........

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,819 ✭✭✭Silent Running

Kramer wrote: »

Few more from the fast charger in Ballysimon earlier this year when 4 Ioniq BEVs happened to show up at the same time!

Jeez, you can't post that picture! You'll trigger Mad_Lad again. :D

Jeez, you can't post that picture! You'll trigger Mad_Lad again. :D

Yeah, good point. Mad_Lad with his PHEV :D.

For you Mad_Lad..............

wHxutSC.jpg

:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,529 ✭✭✭irishgeo

Anyone recommend a dealer in the for used ones. Looking at a plugin hybrid

irishgeo wrote: »

The plug ins are pretty rare, Fairview in Dublin have a 2018 one seemingly:https://www.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/hyundai-ioniq-phev-plug-in-hybrid-4-years-free/21509457

Only others I see on done deal are at a dealer called Mooneys.

Best bet is to give any of the Hyundai dealers near you a bell and see what they have.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,888 ✭✭✭zg3409

Mickeroo wrote: »
    I definitely had issues like the above with the granny cable too. Try starting it charging again, then stopping etc.

When stopping a granny charge do not plug out the 3pin household plug first. Instead press unlock on the car remote and at the same time pull out the round plug from the car. It only stays unlicked for a couple of seconds after unlock on remote is pressed. I had similar issues at the start until I learned the proper procedure. This procedure also ensures no power is flowing when you pull out the 3 pin plug later. This stops excessive wear on the house socket and plug.

• Advertisement

Dupe

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 65,745 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

Yes it is a regular issue. Thankfully never happened to me, but a good few owners in here have reported it. That's why Hyundai issued a recall for it. The charge port actuator has to be replaced. Ring any Hyundai dealer tomorrow morning, tell them you need this done and book the car in. It's completely free of charge. You also need to have your ECU checked and replaced if necessary (for free). Kindly ask the dealer to update your software and maps too while they have the car.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,184 ✭✭✭k123456

unkel wrote: »
    Yes it is a regular issue. Thankfully never happened to me, but a good few owners in here have reported it. That's why Hyundai issued a recall for it. The cha. rge port actuator has to be replacedRing any Hyundai dealer tomorrow morning, tell them you need this done and book the car in. It's completely free of charge. You also need to have your ECU checked and replaced if necessary (for free). Kindly ask the dealer to update your software and maps too while they have the car.

Do all IOnics need the charge port actuator replaced, or is it a case, of repalce the actuator if there is an issue

ECU replacement , is this connected to the actuator replacement , or a separate issue

(I am buying a Jan 191 , which is currently in the Hyuandai dealer)

Thanks

All Ioniqs get the actuator replaced. But I presume at some point the issue was fixed on new cars. Ring your dealer anyway, but I would be surprised if it affects a 191 car

ECU issue is unrelated. As above, probably sorted on a 191 car, but talk to the dealer. Maybe some other 191 owners on here know the details...

Thanks Unkel, I assume you drive an Ionic and might be able to answer this

On a Motorway drive , Dub to Galway for example

Avg speed 110k, , summer , to increase my range and reduce having to stop for a charge ;

Better to use no regen (there is a theory , coasting is increased with regen off)

Better to use Adaptive Cruise control, or leave it to the driver to brake, remove foot from accelerator , re-accelerate

If you drive gently at 110km/h indicated (this is 105km/h real speed) on a good day in summer you should be able to do Dublin to Galway without having to charge. Would I try this myself? On my own maybe, but not with my family on board :D

But yeah, you get better range on motorways if you don't use regen and don't use adaptive cruise.

Once the Ionity in Athlone is open, drive like a maniac on a bad day in winter with the heating on full and active cruise on, as long as you stop for a 10 minute charge in Athlone :D

• Advertisement

Thanks , looking fwd to my newish IOnic

I have a leaf 24 2016, which was fine for Leinster driving, but not great to the West

Its good to have a choice of Ecars, Ionity , and Easygo chargers . Ionity and Easygo happy to pay the 8e charge, as I look on that as easy to use resource , at reasonable price .

k123456 wrote: »
    happy to pay the 8e charge

You don't have to pay the flat €8 charge at Ionity if you use a (free) Maingau card. Then you will just be billed at €0.40 / kWh

So if you only need 5kWh, you only pay €2

You don't have to pay the flat €8 charge at Ionity if you use a (free) Maingau card. Then you will just be billed at €0.40 / kWh

So if you only need 5kWh, you only pay €2

interesting

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qph2SLgcx7w

• Registered Users Posts: 1,434 ✭✭✭September1

k123456 wrote: »
    Thanks Unkel, I assume you drive an Ionic and might be able to answer this

On a Motorway drive , Dub to Galway for example

Avg speed 110k, , summer , to increase my range and reduce having to stop for a charge ;

Better to use no regen (there is a theory , coasting is increased with regen off)

Better to use Adaptive Cruise control, or leave it to the driver to brake, remove foot from accelerator , re-accelerate

I did this journey many times now and it is doable in Ioniq. Couple points:
    - for best range on empty road disable cruise control and regen
    - if there is a bus you could use ACC to follow it for decent range
    - get a tag to save on M4&M6 tolls
    - there are now two FCPs next to each other in Kinnegad plaza, it costs 10c/min to use them and so far I never had to wait there. Chargers on Applegreens in Enfield can be busy sometimes
    - driving to Dublin seems to use less energy for me then driving to Galway, perhaps winds are to blame
    - in winter there is severe reduction in range, but with chargers that is still not a problem

- if you need to stop for nice dinner then Athlone has plenty of slow chargers and restaurants
    - Ioniq would charge at 47kW up to 80% and then will slow down so if time is essence, then it makes sense to continue journey to next FCP.

In practice it takes me about 5 hours for round-trip.

Ioniq will charge max 70kW and on average about 61kW on Ionity chargers (up to 80%). This will really be extremely helpful for cross-country long range driving in Ioniq if there were a few more of those chargers, which Ionity seem to really be working on (2 live and 2 being built with 4 more or so in the pipeline)

• Advertisement

The plug ins are pretty rare, Fairview in Dublin have a 2018 one seemingly:https://www.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/hyundai-ioniq-phev-plug-in-hybrid-4-years-free/21509457

Only others I see on done deal are at a dealer called Mooneys.

Best bet is to give any of the Hyundai dealers near you a bell and see what they have.
    I meant to say in the north.

I meant to say in the north.

I can only see one on Autotrader:
    https://www.autotrader.co.uk/classified/advert/201903115781114?postcode=bt817yj&sort=sponsored&radius=100&make=HYUNDAI&advertising-location=at_cars&price-from=500&model=IONIQ&onesearchad=Used&onesearchad=Nearly%20New&onesearchad=New&page=1

That's actually a very good price for a 2019 particularly with Sterling where it is at the mo (looks to be an ex demo model)

You sure about the plugin? What's your driving pattern, commute, frequency of longer trips, etc?

You sure about the plugin? What's your driving pattern, commute, frequency of longer trips, etc?

He posted them earlier in the thread iirc. While the BEV would be more than fine for his everyday driving he needs something for regular trips from the west to Dublin and elsewhere in the country on GAA match days.

I couldn't think of a worse use case for a BEV in Ireland tbh!

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 8,061 Mod ✭✭✭✭liamog

He posted them earlier in the thread iirc. While the BEV would be more than fine for his everyday driving he needs something for regular trips from the west to Dublin and elsewhere in the country on GAA match days.

If I had that requirement I'd just wait 12 months before buying the BEV.

Ionity will have good coverage by then, and the eCars expansion is slated to start in September. 28kWh Ioniqs are going to become more useful over the next 2 years.

liamog wrote: »

Ionity will have good coverage by then, and the eCars expansion is slated to start in September. 28kWh Ioniqs are going to become more useful over the next 2 years.
    From what I read the longer range cars are due in to 2 years. Ones that would suit me better. I am thinking the plug in would be a stepping stone and allow me to save on the diesel on my 120 approx round trip every day. Also allows me to fit the charger and get used to charging etc.

liamog wrote: »

From what I read the longer range cars are due in to 2 years. Ones that would suit me better. I am thinking the plug in would be a stepping stone and allow me to save on the diesel on my 120 approx round trip every day. Also allows me to fit the charger and get used to charging etc.

While you may be right or wrong the Ioniq phev has 9.2kwh battery claiming 52km to flat, so if you had work charging you might get nearly 100% of your commute on battery. If work is pay or not available it might not be worth you while meaning 40% of your commute could be on battery. I won't re-argue the pros and cons of phev vs full bev, but I believe the ioniq phev has a strange driving feeling in hybrid mode, so worth a test drive.

I have a commute of 110km round trip and the ioniq bev with 160km worst case winter range is ideal, allowing for 40% spare range every day allowing trips to supermarkets, diversions, evening activities etc. The main downside is charger anxiety when travelling more than 200km from home with esb ecars fast chargers often being busy, blocked or broken for weeks at a time. The infrastructure may get better in the next year or it may get worse with supply of chargers increasing but demand also increasing. I have access to two non Bev's for long trips, which I intend hanging on to at a cost of 900 euro per year, which would not be needed if the infrastructure was dependable.

My advice, if you have access to a second car for long trips is to get a relatively cheap bev ioniq, or zoe 40kwh and only use it for commute and short trips, the fuel savings of 1600 per year will add up, and depreciation should not be too great.

The value of buying a brand new phev with relatively short range is the risk depreciation may be far higher than any fuel savings. Particularly an ioniq phev which is relatively unknown on the used car market meaning demand will be low compared to main stream brands when you go to sell it. I would recommend going full bev and hanging on to your old car, declaring it off the road even, and having it for a change if mind.

More charging woes, this time the opposite though- charging cable won't lock and start a charge. I can hear the actuator trying to lock but it just doesn't. Will be getting the car to the dealer's asap but for now, any ideas that will get me a charge for tomorrow?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,496 ✭✭✭irishgrover

baldshin wrote:
    More charging woes, this time the opposite though- charging cable won't lock and start a charge. I can hear the actuator trying to lock but it just doesn't. Will be getting the car to the dealer's asap but for now, any ideas that will get me a charge for tomorrow?

For lack of anything else to try, assuming you have already locked and unlocked car.....
    I would try to disconnect the 12v battery and reconnect....only because it's a way to restart everything....(yes I know how little sense this makes, sorry)

• Registered Users Posts: 649 ✭✭✭Moreilly

This happened me a few times, worked when I disconnected the cable from both the charger and the car, then plugged in the car end first then charger end and charge started streight away . Don't know why it worked but it did, when I done it the correct way the lights were flashing on the wall charging unit sometimes..

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement