Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Hyundai Ioniq 28kWh

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 65,881 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

baldshin wrote: »
    More charging woes, this time the opposite though- charging cable won't lock and start a charge. I can hear the actuator trying to lock but it just doesn't. Will be getting the car to the dealer's asap but for now, any ideas that will get me a charge for tomorrow?

Get that actuator replacement booked in first thing tomorrow! If you had rang the dealer when I told you to, it would have been replaced by now ;)

As for what to do now, maybe try a fast charger?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,921 ✭✭✭zg3409

More charging woes, this time the opposite though- charging cable won't lock and start a charge. I can hear the actuator trying to lock but it just doesn't. Will be getting the car to the dealer's asap but for now, any ideas that will get me a charge for tomorrow?

Try the cable release in the boot, there is one for the charging door, and a different one in a different place for the cable lock. A few tugs on the right one might help. See the user manual.

You can get the car brought to any Hyundai dealer of your choice on a tow truck. You can get a replacement car for 48 hours (try get an electric to save on fuel) The phone number to ring is on the below link.

https://m.hyundai.ie/hyundai-aa-assist

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,185 ✭✭✭k123456

Is there a public facing article or recall notice from Hyundai on the issue, please

k123456 wrote: »
    Is there a public facing article or recall notice from Hyundai on the issue, please

Mention here

Campaign reference 70C095.

https://www.speakev.com/threads/inlet-actuator-replacement.123868/

Using your reg or chassis number they can check if is listed as needing done for your particular car. It was only certain months etc. , however if it is now faulty they will fix under warranty

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,390 ✭✭✭baldshin

Would've gotten it to the dealer's if I'd have had half a chance since getting it 6 days ago! Anyway, brought it to a fast charger and had the same issue. Currently sat outside with the 12v battery disconnected to see if I have any luck. Typically, my other half's ICE car is out for repairs since this evening and she needs mine for work tomorrow, with not enough charge left to get her there and back!

Hybrid (not plug in) for sale for 23,000 in NISSAN Bray: https://windsorbray.nissan.ie/used-car/hyundai-ioniq-se-gdi-hybrid-dct-auto?destination=make=108 It might be useful for someone that wants to test drive a hybrid (then import from UK). Price seems too high for 2018 compared to UK prices on auto trader
    I believe the hybrid can feel funny to drive the way the engine operates, but I have never driven one. They have a tiny 1.56kwh battery, more suited to stop go city driving at low speeds.

Got it working again, jiggled the manual cable release for a few minutes and it got going again. Calling the dealer first thing in the morning.

The never ending Saga continues, actuator was replaced today. As I was collecting and about to leave I spotted a small scuff on the rear passenger bumper, which looks like someone tried to badly touch up with white paint!! The service manager (acting), has said I'll have to wait until the manager is back in 10 days..... I'm not impressed at all with this, I know how mint the car was when I dropped it off this morning, and I know for a fact the mark wasn't there. Proving this is another story though as I don't have my Dashcam in yet. Any advice? Should I contact Hyundai directly also? Normally I wouldn't fuss about these things but it's the first time in my life I've had a (basically) new car with zero marks on it, and the repair centre managed to damage it!

• Moderators Posts: 12,390 ✭✭✭✭Black_Knight

The never ending Saga continues, actuator was replaced today. As I was collecting and about to leave I spotted a small scuff on the rear passenger bumper, which looks like someone tried to badly touch up with white paint!! The service manager (acting), has said I'll have to wait until the manager is back in 10 days..... I'm not impressed at all with this, I know how mint the car was when I dropped it off this morning, and I know for a fact the mark wasn't there. Proving this is another story though as I don't have my Dashcam in yet. Any advice? Should I contact Hyundai directly also? Normally I wouldn't fuss about these things but it's the first time in my life I've had a (basically) new car with zero marks on it, and the repair centre managed to damage it!

My car came from Hyundai second hand with a note saying 500 worth of paintwork had been done to it (it to was like a badly touched up paint job with white paint). Wonder if that's standard practice. If your car didn't come with something similar, then it'd be new since you picked up the car is. They did it.

As for contacting Hyundai themselves, I did this regarding how poorly my local dealer treated my worn door rubbers issue (didn't properly process it, said it was my fault, then eventually processed it by the books and that's the last I heard from the dealer. Hyundai basically wrote back to me saying he manager if that branch will be in contact with me, that's probably a week or 2 ago now). So... Good luck

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,228 ✭✭✭Kramer

The service manager (acting), has said I'll have to wait until the manager is back in 10 days..... I'm not impressed at all with this

I wouldn't be accepting this to be honest.

Ask for the general manager or whoever is in charge & demand the damage is repaired. You should also be supplied with a loan car while yours is in the body shop.
    I wouldn't even mention proving they damaged it, just go about having the damage repaired as quickly as possible & with the least inconvenience to you.

I'm sure they'll sort it - just a little assertiveness needed, usually.

Best of luck with it but that's the worst aspect of owning a new car - the constant worry of having it damaged or scratches appearing.

Kramer wrote: »
    Best of luck with it but that's the worst aspect of owning a new car - the constant worry of having it damaged or scratches appearing.

Absolutely, at least if I did it myself I'd have only myself be annoyed with, I'd be pissed off but get over it. This though, isn't acceptable.

This though, isn't acceptable.

Yeah, especially from the dealer where you purchased it!

Sure they'll sort you - kick in their door first thing Monday morning & demand redress :cool:.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,081 ✭✭✭fricatus

Lads, has anyone come across this?

The last two days, my Ioniq BEV has started vibrating through the steering wheel, nothing crazy, just a bit like a fossil car. Then there’s a sound from behind the dashboard like gushing and an escape of gas, after which everything sounds normal again.

On both occasions, I had driven almost an hour home, and was using the car in the evening, in stop-start traffic. Also it was rainy, as I’m sure you’ll all know.

I took a look under the bonnet and everything looks normal as far as I can tell - certainly no obvious leaks, spillages, corrosion, etc.

I’m thinking it’s the aircon or heat pump, because the fans in the car were going quite a bit at the same time. The car has only recently been serviced, so maybe something was overfilled or not properly tightened back.

It’s under warranty of course, so I’ll bring it into the dealership on Monday. I’d be interested to know if any of you have experienced anything similar.

fricatus wrote: »

Common enough - happened a few days ago while charging our own Ioniq but can imagine it being quiet disconcerting experiencing it for the first time.

If the AC is off, and the heat pump is off, am I just blowing in air from the outside regardless of what my temperature is set at?

Always find it funny driving with the fan on and my wife turns up/down the temperature without ac or heating on.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,434 ✭✭✭September1

On both occasions, I had driven almost an hour home, and was using the car in the evening, in stop-start traffic. Also it was rainy, as I’m sure you’ll all know.
    It’s under warranty of course, so I’ll bring it into the dealership on Monday. I’d be interested to know if any of you have experienced anything similar.

Yes, I noticed same thing and indeed it does seem to happen on wet days. I look forward to what you find from Hyundai as I assumed it is normal operation.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,081 ✭✭✭fricatus

Kramer wrote: »
    Common enough - happened a few days ago while charging our own Ioniq but can imagine it being quiet disconcerting experiencing it for the first time.

While charging? Wow, I think I’d have hit the emergency stop button in a panic! :D
    September1 wrote: »
    Yes, I noticed same thing and indeed it does seem to happen on wet days. I look forward to what you find from Hyundai as I assumed it is normal operation.

Thanks for the replies. Maybe it is perfectly normal - certainly there are no lights on the dash to indicate anything amiss - but in a year and a half, I’ve never heard that sound.

I’ll call the dealership and ask their advice anyway. I’ll post back here in a few days.

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,435 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

If the AC is off, and the heat pump is off, am I just blowing in air from the outside regardless of what my temperature is set at?

Always find it funny driving with the fan on and my wife turns up/down the temperature without ac or heating on.

Yeah pretty sure that's exactly what's happening lol. I just leave it on auto and 21/22 degrees and let the car decide whether it needs AC or heat.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 19,266 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

Am I correct in stating that a UK Ioniq with it's speedo in MP/H cannot be changed to KM/H?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 287 ✭✭this.lad

The last two days, my Ioniq BEV has started vibrating through the steering wheel, nothing crazy, just a bit like a fossil car. Then there’s a sound from behind the dashboard like gushing and an escape of gas, after which everything sounds normal again.

I took a look under the bonnet and everything looks normal as far as I can tell - certainly no obvious leaks, spillages, corrosion, etc.

I’m thinking it’s the aircon or heat pump, because the fans in the car were going quite a bit at the same time. The car has only recently been serviced, so maybe something was overfilled or not properly tightened back.

Its not the auto demister?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,434 ✭✭✭September1

slave1 wrote: »
    Am I correct in stating that a UK Ioniq with it's speedo in MP/H cannot be changed to KM/H?

Yes, but it will display km/h speed as well. Biggest downside is range remaining is almost everywhere displayed in miles, with exception of multimedia unit.

Had to get a little cosy with a leaf today in Athlone. Luckily there's spaces beside the charger. Leaf was fully charged but the charger fans were still going so I guess it wasn't long finished, and left about 5-10 minutes after I arrived.

IMG-20190810-153028.jpg

Used ionity in cashel for the first time too. Twas fantastic, 63kw/h pumping into the car. 15 for 13 kw

Screenshot-2019-08-10-19-36-19.jpg
    picture to url

That's cheap too, Maingau charges €0.40/kWh on the Ionity chargers here, so that would have been €5.23. What card did you use?

unkel wrote: »
    That's cheap too, Maingau charges €0.40/kWh on the Ionity chargers here, so that would have been €5.23. What card did you use?

Maingau...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,553 ✭✭✭Fiery mutant

Had to get a little cosy with a leaf today in Athlone.

Better than my experience in Gorey last Sunday. Pulled up to the charger to find a merc parked in one spot, using the slow charger. A leaf parked in the other spot, not plugged in, no one in the car, and the Chademo charger out of order.

Guy arrives back 20 minutes later, told me he was waiting to use the slow charger. Told him he could have parked in any other spot in the car park and not block the charger for everyone else, he said then he would have lost his place in the line, and didn’t see he was doing anything wrong.

Fcukin pleb.

We should defend our way of life to an extent that any attempt on it is crushed, so that any adversary will never make such an attempt in the future.

Maingau...

I thought they charged €0.40 per kWh???

Looks like you paid only €0.32. Some sort of 20% discount you are getting???
    Better than my experience in Gorey last Sunday. Pulled up to the charger to find a merc parked in one spot, using the slow charger. A leaf parked in the other spot, not plugged in, no one in the car, and the Chademo charger out of order.

Guy arrives back 20 minutes later

Why didn't you go to Ionity Gorey?

I thought they charged €0.40 per kWh???

Looks like you paid only €0.32. Some sort of 20% discount you are getting?

No idea. As I said in the other thread, I'll report back on what happens tomorrow.

Mr Bruton’s department said “his own mode of transport is a Hyundai Ioniq, plug-in hybrid electric vehicle . Used for his work as a Minister, is it nonetheless his own private vehicle.”
    https://www.irishtimes.com/news/environment/just-two-cabinet-ministers-using-environmentally-friendly-vehicles-1.3980937?mode=amp&fbclid=IwAR2SdCOZ93gbrtj2RfXNsP6FrmA3Z3Gsu5h3H6Cry35sX0mH6LNT09SIt8o

Yeah that was posted a few days ago. He got the PHEV Ioniq. He obviously doesn't read here or has ever heard about Bjørn Nyland :p

On a different note, for some reason I haven't done any 130km/h driving in the last few days and so I saw a 247km range on Ioniq yesterday after it had charged overnight. I guess that is consistent with the consumption stats that I reset during last week. It now says 11.3kWh/100km

28/11.3 = 248km

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,819 ✭✭✭Silent Running

Yeah that was posted a few days ago. He got the PHEV Ioniq. He obviously doesn't read here or has ever heard about Bjørn Nyland :p

On a different note, for some reason I haven't done any 130km/h driving in the last few days and so I saw a 247km range on Ioniq yesterday after it had charged overnight. I guess that is consistent with the consumption stats that I reset during last week. It now says 11.3kWh/100km

28/11.3 = 248km

I found the Ioniq to be very honest with the GOM, but it can be made more accurate if you reset the consumption at least twice a year. As it's used all the time, there's no point in it calculating a Summer or Winter figure based on year round usage. It tends to be slightly optimistic in Winter and slightly pessimistic in Summer. A reset coming into Summer, and another coming into Winter will give a more accurate real time estimate. Four resets per year would keep it more accurate again, once it re-learns after about 300kms from the reset.

I was always obsessed with GOM accuracy and general efficiency, but some people will just get in and drive without a thought for accuracy and efficiency, and that's fine too. :)

The Niro seems to be just as accurate with the GOM, but it's harder to be sure with such a huge range. With the Ioniq, it was driving from full to empty most of the time. With the Niro, it's mostly topping up with the odd overnight full charge before a long run. I'm nearly forgetting how to use the rapid chargers. :D

• Advertisement

To contrast unkle, I had some pretty poor efficiency driving this weekend. Cork to Athlone was 14.1kw/100km. Cruise set to 105km/hr and 125km/hr on main roads and motorways. Rarely had active cruise control kicking in. About 16°C all the way.

The return leg was much worse. Same speeds, AC/heading was on though, and only 8°C outside. 15.1kw/100km.
    Last I charged to 100% I was only seeing 196km on the gom.

Also, parking like an arse at ionity = much easier to plug in.

IMG-20190812-093715.jpg

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,435 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

My average consumption this morning was over 16kwh/100km for the first time since winter. :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 671 ✭✭✭adunis

Mickeroo wrote: »
    My average consumption this morning was over 16kwh/100km for the first time since winter. :eek:

Mine 12.5-13 or so very hilly rural roads 40k round trip daily,no horses or comforts being spared

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 19,266 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

I'd say all that water on the road was the killer, my average was 14 last Friday for 151kms and jumped to 16.6 on Saturday driving on the heavily wet roads (Leaf30 but point remains the same)

To contrast unkle, I had some pretty poor efficiency driving this weekend

You see I do very little 130km/h driving. A bit on M1 and M11 around Dublin but it is mostly M50 and lots of the R136 (80km/h limit). And lots of urban driven, short trips at low speeds. Pretty ideal for an EV. And at low speeds I prefer an open window over the A/C

Range displayed when fully charged is typically just below 240km for me in summer

You see I do very little 130km/h driving. A bit on M1 and M11 around Dublin but it is mostly M50 and lots of the R136 (80km/h limit). And lots of urban driven, short trips at low speeds. Pretty ideal for an EV. And at low speeds I prefer an open window over the A/C

Range displayed when fully charged is typically just below 240km for me in summer

Yeah, most my driving is foot to the floor, to the next set of traffic lights, then up the airport hill in Cork. My commute is typically in the 25kw/100km efficiency, and my route home swings by creche on back roads so i've only been getting about 10kw/100km on that, rather than reaping the benefit of going down that hill.
    The long drives over the weekend there I barely dropped until 80km/hr for any real period of time (excluding the towns/villages I drove through).

On a more positive note, Ionity was pretty class! Juiced up in almost no time in Cashel. Did Cork city to a few km outside of Athlone and visa versa in about 2hrs 50mins.

Can't say that was a success. Arrived and was told the car wasn't starting, it's up on a hoist, talk of replacing the battery, and I didn't even get to see it.

A bit of googling and I'm hoping I'll hear back that it was just a dead 12v battery, rather than the big one. Though the dealer suggested it was the main battery that was at fault and being replaced. Anyone ever hear of that? Should I run a mile?

Long time ago, but I've spotted this ioniq today. It was sold anyways, just wonder at what price, and whether they knew about the battery swap. Think a guy a play 5 a side with bought it. Don't really know him, not sure can I break the news

Dealership is sorting the scratch on the car and providing me with a courtesy car while it's in, good service from Hyundai's head office after I emailed them.

Are you making sure you get the latest software and maps, and that the actuator and ECU recalls are done? Also are you using the Hyundai app on your phone that makes the car "smart"? The app makes a bluetooth handshake with your phone, which enables your phone's mobile hotspot, and the car connects to the hotspot automatically, updates traffic and charge point "live" information. I find the traffic info very handy

• Advertisement

Are you making sure you get the latest software and maps, and that the actuator and ECU recalls are done? Also are you using the Hyundai app on your phone that makes the car "smart"? The app makes a bluetooth handshake with your phone, which enables your phone's mobile hotspot, and the car connects to the hotspot automatically, updates traffic and charge point "live" information. I find the traffic info very handy

Actuator and software was done last week, that was when they scratched the bumper! Working flawlessly now. Have the app but I never use it as I just stick to plugging in and using android auto.

Have the app but I never use it as I just stick to plugging in and using android auto.

I'm the opposite, I refuse to stick a cable into my phone :p Haven't done that in many years, not going to start again now. Phone can now do Android Auto wirelessly but the car obviously can't. I don't think any car is AA wireless right now.

I'm the opposite, I refuse to stick a cable into my phone :p Haven't done that in many years, not going to start again now. Phone can now do Android Auto wirelessly but the car obviously can't. I don't think any car is AA wireless right now.

I never had any success with the Hyundai app. Never did as it was supposed to with my car/phone (I suspect my phone is the point of failure though). Most my drives are short though, never bothered enough to plug in the phone. Long spins it get's plugged in (mostly because my phone battery is ****e).

Long spins it get's plugged in (mostly because my phone battery is ****e).

What phone do you have that it doesn't have wireless charging at this stage, an ancient iPhone or something? :pac:

What phone do you have that it doesn't have wireless charging at this stage, an ancient iPhone or something? :pac:

It's not really a common feature outside of high end phones.

A 2 year old €200 ZTE Axon 7. Twas pretty high spec'd 2 years ago, and isn't too bad now, but the lack of an OS update and a possible shoddy battery isn't helping.

Might look to root it and put a newer release of Android on it. Currently doing some battery health monitoring on it, so if that returns some bad results i'll buy a new battery too.

• Advertisement

A 2 year old €200 ZTE Axon 7. Twas pretty high spec'd 2 years ago, and isn't too bad now, but the lack of an OS update and a possible shoddy battery isn't helping.

Might look to root it and put a newer release of Android on it. Currently doing some battery health monitoring on it, so if that returns some bad results i'll buy a new battery too.

Jaysus, I wouln't throw good money after bad. You can pick up a half decent S7 on adverts for about a ton. Waterproof, wireless charging.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,351 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

Even my iphone XR and herself's iphone 8 have wireless charging.
    Pretty common I would ahve thought.

Pretty handy in the Ioniq as it supports wireless charging (though not wireless apple car play)

Jaysus, I wouln't throw good money after bad. You can pick up a half decent S7 on adverts for about a ton. Waterproof, wireless charging.

Older phone, smaller display, less ROM, lower resolution camera (not that a camera is a biggy on my list), usb2.0, smaller battery, slower fast charging. Can't see any benefit in an S7.

If I can prove the battery is degraded, a new one is about €10. No brainer to spend €10 and get another year or so out of it.

Next phone will have wireless charging, purely because the car can support it.

Older phone, smaller display, less ROM, lower resolution camera (not that a camera is a biggy on my list), usb2.0, smaller battery, slower fast charging. Can't see any benefit in an S7.

None of these would matter to me in a phone if it isn't waterproof or has no wireless charging :p

But enough of the off topic already, my apologies!

ELM327 wrote: »
    Even my iphone XR and herself's iphone 8 have wireless charging.
    Pretty common I would ahve thought.

Pretty handy in the Ioniq as it supports wireless charging (though not wireless apple car play)

Yeah I have wireless charging on mine too, it's well handy though I rarely spend enough time in the car to get more than a small top up from it.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement