Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Hyundai Ioniq 28kWh

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,385 ✭✭✭baldshin

It is crazy though that Android Auto and Apple Carplay aren't wirelessly available on the car!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 65,745 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

Android Auto wireless is only out recently. If you have a recent enough phone like a 2017 S8 or higher, and you have it running on Android 9, it will work on the phone end. But obviously the cars don't get this upgrade of the Android system. It will probably start coming to brand new car models from sometime next year.

• Moderators Posts: 12,386 ✭✭✭✭Black_Knight

Wireless android auto will probably end up being one of those obscure criteria i'll have for my next (or next next) car.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,239 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

Is there wireless apple car play?

ELM327 wrote: »
    Is there wireless apple car play?

Oh i've no idea. I just assumed Apple would bring or have brought out wireless car play, claiming they're the first to do so.

Oh i've no idea. I just assumed Apple would bring or have brought out wireless car play, claiming they're the first to do so.

I doubt it as they are never first to do anything. Their budget for R&D is appallingly low! They are all about nice design and a simple OS that works well with all the other Apple products. Not so much a technology innovator.

unkel wrote: »
    I doubt it as they are never first to do anything. Their budget for R&D is appallingly low! They are all about nice design and a simple OS that works well with all the other Apple products. Not so much a technology innovator.

My sarcasm was lost on you sir.

In other Android auto news, they're rolling out and update to Android auto. I've not gotten it yet, but if you've got it, you can activate it in the Android auto app, settings. It's the first option, says something like "try new version".

they're rolling out and update to Android auto. I've not gotten it yet, but if you've got it, you can activate it in the Android auto app, settings. It's the first option, says something like "try new version".

It's no good if your car can't handle it!

My sarcasm was lost on you sir.

In other Android auto news, they're rolling out and update to Android auto. I've not gotten it yet, but if you've got it, you can activate it in the Android auto app, settings. It's the first option, says something like "try new version".

I've got the update, you can download the apk and sideload if you can't wait.

baldshin wrote: »
    I've got the update, you can download the apk and sideload if you can't wait.

But surely it won't work on Ioniq, or am I missing something?

• Advertisement

But surely it won't work on Ioniq, or am I missing something?

Why wouldn't it? It's not wireless Android auto, it's just a new version/skin/layout from what I hear.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,888 ✭✭✭zg3409

My ioniq BEV did not charge overnight. I have a Zappi charger set with timer to charge overnight. Cable was definitely plugged into car. This is second time this happened. Last time was about 3 months ago. I have car set to preheat every morning and this starts 30 minutes before departure time. I went to car and opened drivers door (while cable still plugged in) and I noticed I did not get the usual bing with display showing 100%. Car was preheating OK, from the esb, so cable in, car taking power. I loaded up car, then unplugged the cable. I needed to hit the unlock button as I have auto unlock enabled, but the preheat locks the cable while preheating. I turned on car and I noticed it had not charged, with no errors from the car. I managed to limp to work and left it on a public slow charger and it is charging OK.

There can only be 2 reasons, car or Zappi charger. I suspect it is the car and possibly the cable lock actuator. It should lock around midnight to start charge and unlock about 3 hours later. Then it should lock to preheat 30 minutes before departure which it did indeed do. I am going to ring the dealer, but not book it in before Monday. Things I can try is to check if charge complete each morning and restart Zappi to see if car starts charging. I might also disable preheat and auto unlock. Auto cable unlock needs to activate the lock more often, and without it I can check if it locks in the evening. I will try video any future fails. I am also thinking of updating firmware in Zappi in case that is the issue, but I would need to buy a Zappi hub adapter to do that. I brought car in for all recalls a year ago, and cable lock was not replaced. Luckily I have a backup ICE and I can make it to a slow charger near work on the remaining charge from day before.

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,406 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

Do you unlock the Zappi after you plug it in? If I don't unlock it and see the middle light flashing on the dash of the car it won't start charging when the timer kicks in. (I'm using the timer on the car not the boost feature on the zappi).

Mickeroo wrote: »
    Do you unlock the Zappi after you plug it in? If I don't unlock it and see the middle light flashing on the dash of the car it won't start charging when the timer kicks in. (I'm using the timer on the car not the boost feature on the zappi).

No Zappi is never (pin) locked, and setup is the same for the past year. Thanks for suggestions. I have ordered a Zappi hub, just in case

Car booked in with dealer for next Tuesday 20th

• Registered Users Posts: 671 ✭✭✭adunis

Mine also does this very occasionally,have tried alsorted combinations of programming,centre blue dash light flashing etc etc nothing untoward.
    Software is current 12v is good never had a problem with the charge port actuator,don't know if it was ever changed..Garo charger.
    I think it's a protocol issue with car/charger if I let mine plugged into charger for 8 plus hrs in standby it will flatten the 12v.
    I have zero faith in my local dealer.
    If it is imperative car has to get a charge I just hit the charge now button .
    Looking forward to your result.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 285 ✭✭this.lad

zg3409 wrote: »
    My ioniq BEV did not charge overnight. I have a Zappi charger set with timer to charge overnight. Cable was definitely plugged into car. This is second time this happened. Last time was about 3 months ago. I have car set to preheat every morning and this starts 30 minutes before departure time. I went to car and opened drivers door (while cable still plugged in) and I noticed I did not get the usual bing with display showing 100%. Car was preheating OK, from the esb, so cable in, car taking power. I loaded up car, then unplugged the cable. I needed to hit the unlock button as I have auto unlock enabled, but the preheat locks the cable while preheating. I turned on car and I noticed it had not charged, with no errors from the car. I managed to limp to work and left it on a public slow charger and it is charging OK.

There can only be 2 reasons, car or Zappi charger. I suspect it is the car and possibly the cable lock actuator. It should lock around midnight to start charge and unlock about 3 hours later. Then it should lock to preheat 30 minutes before departure which it did indeed do. I am going to ring the dealer, but not book it in before Monday. Things I can try is to check if charge complete each morning and restart Zappi to see if car starts charging. I might also disable preheat and auto unlock. Auto cable unlock needs to activate the lock more often, and without it I can check if it locks in the evening. I will try video any future fails. I am also thinking of updating firmware in Zappi in case that is the issue, but I would need to buy a Zappi hub adapter to do that. I brought car in for all recalls a year ago, and cable lock was not replaced. Luckily I have a backup ICE and I can make it to a slow charger near work on the remaining charge from day before.

I had this with the zappi, it didn't fully charge the car one night but the problem was, i think, that i had turned the charger onto eco on to slow at the front.

As i have 2 evs i have one set to start a bit later, even though zappi can manage the load, so it left it short on time to charge fully.

I don't really understand it. When I plug in the car at night and lock the car, the middle blue light flashes. That is a sign to tell me it will start charging after midnight. If it doesn't do that, I know there is something wrong. Like cable not plugged in or charging set to "charge now" or something

I have the ABL charger though, not the Zappi

Yep unkel exactly the same as mine except once in awhile it won't,it's done it twice now,and gone on to the second schedule on another occasion.....

The second schedule as in the weekend charging schedule? And your Ioniq is fully up to date with the software?

A car not charging overnight is a serious problem. I would get to the bottom of this.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 619 ✭✭✭slicedpanman

To all ioniq owners a question;

The answer may well be buried in this epic thread but....

Could someone give a rough rule of thumb for charge to km rate? I.e. how many km per hour of granny charging? How many km per min charging on Esb CCS? Ionity CCS?

I know it depends on many factors, I'm just looking for a rough guide that's mostly right most of the year.

I took DglFlyer's old one for a spin from the dealer yesterday and I'm intrigued :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,586 ✭✭✭✭Dont be at yourself

About 40-50km/hr on a standard 7kw charger. 25km/h know a granny charger. A 50kw CCS fast charger will give you 100km in about 20 minutes.

I'd say more like 18/hr on granny cable

Let's say Ioniq averages 200km range over the whole year, that means 28kWh means per kW per hour = 200/28 = 7km, so multiply the below average charging rates by 7 for an hours charge to give you:

Granny cable 2kW - 14km
    EVSE 7kW - 49km
    ESB CCS (up to 80%) 50kW - 350km
    Ionity CCS (up to 80%) 63kW - 441km

As others have said 20 to 30 minutes at a fast charger will get you from 20% to 94% and automatic cut off. Esb are peak 50kw, while ionity with an ioniq will give peak 70kw. So you can get 150+km in 30 minutes. Fastest charging is from 20% to 80% and takes around 20 minutes. This is faster than many cars and the ioniq has battery temperature control meaning faster charging, and less battery damage from each fast charge. Main issue with public fast charging is most chargers are a single unit that can be busy, blocked or broken.

Cheers guys... Good stuff.
    The only regular long trip we do is Limerick to Kilkenny and back (sometimes on the same day). That's about 120km each way.

So I could granny charge at my destination for 4-5 hours and be grand

Or stop for 15 mins at ionity Cashel on the return leg

Sound about right?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 285 ✭✭this.lad

[quote="unkel;110996173"
    Ionity CCS (up to 80%) 63kW - 441km[/quote]

So if i use ionity my car will do double the range :)

Cheers guys... Good stuff.
    The only regular long trip we do is Limerick to Kilkenny and back (sometimes on the same day). That's about 120km each way.

Sound about right?

Sounds about right. So long as your destination has an external 3 on socket you can plug into. No one likes leaving the door/window open for 4-5 hours in the winter time.

Oh yeah, they have an outside socket alright under a bit of a roof. Should be ok

Thanks again

• Registered Users Posts: 1,122 ✭✭✭BigAl81

Sound about right?

Unfortunately not in relation to the granny charger.

On a rainy cold day in winter going no more than 110kmph on motorway, I got 160km range from the car ;( It's very important to know about winter range in your use case.

Same trip in summer I get 225km range in the car which is great. I think once we get weather over about 10 or 12 degrees C the summer range begins to kick in.

4 hours on a granny cable won't do you in the winter. And by "winter" that's probably about 4 or 5 months of the year with sub 10 degree weather.

However Ionity changes everything, so use them instead and enjoy ;) They really open up the usefulness of the car.

It's a fantastic car and the adaptive cruise and "self driving" on the motorway are brilliant on long motorway trips.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,589 ✭✭✭patmac

Did my first staycation in my Ioniq. Based in Ballinasloe we headed to Westport 135kms, took our time and arrived at the public car park beside the hotel. One of the twin ESB chargers wasn’t working so we plugged into the other and charged for 3 hours, came back and unplugged in case somebody else needed it.
    The next day we headed to Ballycroy National Park 56 Kms away, they had a charger so we availed and topped up and headed to Achill and then back to Westport. A Leaf was plugged in and was using the out of use charger so we parked beside it and topped up. Two hours later I unplugged mine and the Leaf was gone probably wandering why the car hadn’t charged.
    The next day we headed to Cleggan 67kms for our 3 day stay on Inishbofin. When we got back in the car we typed in home and it said 145kms and our range said 136 so we stopped at the charger in Clifden, had the dinner and cruised home.
    Overall a great success, thanks to all the advice and the PlugShare app.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,003 ✭✭✭iggy

Two of the pins on my 3 pin plug on the granny cable have broken off.
    Can I just put cut off the plug and replace it or is it a special type?
    Thanks

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,136 ✭✭✭✭KCross

iggy wrote: »
    Two of the pins on my 3 pin plug on the granny cable have broken off.
    Can I just put cut off the plug and replace it or is it a special type?
    Thanks

Don’t know about Ioniq but some of them have a temp sensor in there so not always a straight swap without reducing safety.

How did they break off. That would take a lot of force?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,003 ✭✭✭iggy

KCross wrote: »
    Don’t know about Ioniq but some of them have a temp sensor in there so not always a straight swap without reducing safety.

How did they break off. That would take a lot of force?

Not sure how they broke off. The last person to use it denies everything.

Seems a bit steep?
    https://www.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/hyundai-ioniq/22727419

2017, 65k km on the clock. €25k.
    The "Custom fitted leather seat covers" look pretty decent in the 1 pic you can kinda see them in.
    Was the Infinity Sound System an extra? Speakers in mine say Infinity.

Also, "custom fitted wind breakers". Surely Hyundai did enough aerodynamic work without needing wind breakers? Their claimed range seems unbelievable (300km!)

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,256 Mod ✭✭✭✭charlieIRL

Seems a bit steep?

The "Custom fitted leather seat covers" look pretty decent in the 1 pic you can kinda see them in.

Also, "custom fitted wind breakers". Surely Hyundai did enough aerodynamic work without needing wind breakers? Their claimed range seems unbelievable (300km!)

EDIT - My mistake for not reading full add.

Seems a bit steep?

That car is about €3k overpriced
    The seller is a spoofer too "I have on many occasions achieved 300 Kms of range on one charge when driving in the town. Normal driving to work I am achieving an average of 250 Kms of range per charge which includes motorway driving"

Unless it's all downhill, he did neither.

That car is about €3k overpriced
    The seller is a spoofer too "I have on many occasions achieved 300 Kms of range on one charge when driving in the town. Normal driving to work I am achieving an average of 250 Kms of range per charge which includes motorway driving"

Unless it's all downhill, he did neither.

I could estimate high ranges based on short journeys. My commute home from work was ~4kw/100km a few times. Granted it's only 6km, and down hill mostly, but thats 700km of range!

Fair play if they can do it, but realistically, I want normal, no compromises range. For me, that's 200km everyday driving. 150km on a motorway journey. Telling prospective buyers that it can do 300km is falsely trying to alleviate their range anxiety.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 450 ✭✭beanian

So I was away in Westport when the wife calls me in a panic.. She went to go out in in the morning and discovered our Ioniq was completely dead, no power whatsoever. Knew the high voltage battery had charge so knew something must have gone awry with the 12v. She got a jump off her brother and the car came back to life and seems to be fine since. Couple of things that spring to mind:
    1. The kids have decided to start messing with the rear interior light. ANd when power was restored to the car this light was on. Would this light really drain the battery overnight? The car was used heavily all week so would have expected it to take longer to drain the 12v
    2. I have a Bluetooth OBD2 dongle plugged in. It's been plugged in for almost a month now. Could this has caused it? It turns off when the car is turned off so not sure how it would drain the battery

Anyone else on here have this issue before?

Turn on the smart battery monitor, it charges the 12v from the HV battery even if the car is not on/plugged in

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 450 ✭✭beanian

yeah that was on since I got the car (in July). From reading online it appears that system only polls the 12v battery every 72hrs which isnt very useful for a rapid discharge situation like this.

• Advertisement

Seems a bit steep?

Mine, also a 172, cost less than that a few weeks ago, with only 10k km on it, and from a Hyundai dealership, so this definitely seems overpriced for a private sale.

The 12V battery has a very small capacity and "playing" in the car with some of the electrics drains it really quickly. My wife got nearly caught out one time (my daughter had been playing in the car while she was in the shops)

You could leave one of these in the car, I have them in my classic car that I rarely use and I have successfully jump started the car with one. A 2.5l 6 cylinder engine and all! It's the size of a phone, so can easily be stored in the glovebox or the box under the arm rest

car4-700x700.jpg

beanian wrote: »
    discovered our Ioniq was completely dead,

Anyone else on here have this issue before?

Mine was so dead doors would not open except using the emergency key into the hidden keyhole. JumpStart and all OK since.

Do you have software 0917 or later? Its a rumour but apparently 0917 checks for low 12v battery much more often than every 3 days like it says in the manual.

Also if you are charging high voltage battery or driving it charges the 12v, so a cold night with a non charging night, may cause battery to go low.

Main issue is having car 'on' but not fully on. After you stop the car, do not press the engine stop button until you are ready to leave. If you turn off engine and keep listening to the radio, it can, in the space of 5 minutes drain battery quickly. It flashes a warning on the radio for a second. Similar to getting in car, NOT putting foot on the brake and pressing the start button. Car will not start, but half turn on and start discharging the 12v battery. If you are not getting repeated "auxiliary battery saver used while parked" then you battery is probably good enough to not bother replacing. 12v battery warranty is only 2 years, and dealer will only replace if special battery tester says battery after a full charge now holds no charge. If you have newer software and are charging at least every 3 days you may be OK, or you could shell out 100 euro on a good battery, but even a good battery will go flat if car is half on.

I wonder is there a reason a 12V battery is still being used by EV manufacturers. Would it not be far more reliable (and cheaper) to have a DC (high voltage) to DC (12V) converter? Or are there (safety) issues for the traction battery to be always "on" in this case?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,434 ✭✭✭September1

I wonder is there a reason a 12V battery is still being used by EV manufacturers. Would it not be far more reliable (and cheaper) to have a DC (high voltage) to DC (12V) converter? Or are there (safety) issues for the traction battery to be always "on" in this case?

Safety is one thing, as control electronics can cut it off in case of some abnormal thermal behavior. Additionally if there is energy leak it would never completely discharge and kill main battery.

• Registered Users Posts: 947 ✭✭✭Rusky rusky

In this video the need for 12v battery is explained on the example of the original Tesla roadster. You can skip to 1:35, though you can watch from the start. In part 1 of video they explain how they revive Tesla roadster batteries after a full discharge.

Interesting stuff, thanks for the link! The original Tesla roadster did not have a 12V battery - it had a DC-DC converter like I suggested. Basically it's a safety issue so. When the high voltage battery needs to be shut down, with an aux 12V battery, your hazard lights etc. still operate.

In part 1 of video they explain how they revive Tesla roadster batteries after a full discharge.

Saw that one now too & subscribed.

This is the future of car repair & maintenance. Smart places like this - and my own trusted one, MKW motors - who are already specialising in EV maintenance and repair, will do well.

Millions of regular car mechanics world wide will be out of a job within a decade.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,184 ✭✭✭k123456

Turn on the smart battery monitor, it charges the 12v from the HV battery even if the car is not on/plugged in

Is the smart battery monitor, on by default
    and is there a downside to having it on. I assume there isnt

• Advertisement

k123456 wrote: »
    Is the smart battery monitor, on by default
    and is there a downside to having it on. I assume there isnt
    It's not on by default and I can't see a downside!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement