Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Hyundai Ioniq 28kWh

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 671 ✭✭✭adunis

Some stats following today's rookie mistake,DO NOT push your range and forget about terrain,remaining range 32km at the start of a 19km journey.

25km/13% low battery warning comes on
    8km/3% turtle mode deploys like a fkin anchor
    5km guessometer stops guessing and just flashes
    Sometime after that ( 2.4km on satnav ) turtle starts flashing.
    Plug in at destination with............

1%.

Lesson learned

P.s . 215km covered

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 65,745 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

adunis wrote: »
    P.s . 215km covered

Jesus. On a wet and windy and fairly cold (for August) day. You were mad to attempt that. What was the percentage when you started or did you not have a look?

In perfect circumstances I would have tried to make that run, but I wouldn't drive at 120km/h.

unkel wrote: »
    Jesus. On a wet and windy and fairly cold (for August) day. You were mad to attempt that. What was the percentage when you started or did you not have a look?

In perfect circumstances I would have tried to make that run, but I wouldn't drive at 120km/h.

Agreed a complete brain fart moment,
    Won't be happening again.....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,239 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

Yes, I've done the "drive of shame" after attempting 175km on the motorway in similar weather. (drive of shame = progressively slower at the end, last 10k at sub 30km/h with hazard lights on!)
    The reason I sold the ioniq was the above, never again!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,912 ✭✭✭Mike9832

ELM327 wrote: »
    Yes, I've done the "drive of shame" after attempting 175km on the motorway in similar weather. (drive of shame = progressively slower at the end, last 10k at sub 30km/h with hazard lights on!)

Reason why I think 15kWh+ PHEV's ( 60-80km range) still have a big future

Suit so many people

• Advertisement

The idea of a phev is great, it means (once you get one that more than covers your commute in all weather) then you are immune to fossil fuel prices increasing, you only buy fuel if you go on a longer trip

If the outlander had a range of 125km it would sell like hotcakes. I'd have one.

If the outlander had a range of 125km it would sell like hotcakes. I'd have one.

I think that's coming too with advancments in battery tech

Understandably none of them want to go all in on BEV and PHEV would keep the train going for a while, the Germans and Japs will go down this route imo

The Ioniq vid with 125km range on EV mode and 450km on petrol really got me thinking

At the same price would I go for a

Ioniq 15kWh PHEV ( 80-100km range ) or Ioniq 38kWh PHEV ( 300km range )

I'd go for the PHEV, i'm sure many would, even if the Ioniq had 50kWh I still would

"drive of shame" LOL

In fairness that was your inexperience with the car / being a bit too brazen. Had you driven at 95-100km/h, that trip would probably have been fine with no drive of shame at the end :)

But yeah, if you regularly have to drive at the very edge of the range or over, with the brutal state of our public network (I think you sold before any Ionity was open?), you'd be better of in an EV with more range or in a (partial) ICE

"drive of shame" LOL

In fairness that was your inexperience with the car / being a bit too brazen. Had you driven at 95-100km/h, that trip would probably have been fine with no drive of shame at the end :)

But yeah, if you regularly have to drive at the very edge of the range or over, with the brutal state of our public network (I think you sold before any Ionity was open?), you'd be better of in an EV with more range or in a (partial) ICE

No interest in compromising, if the car can't do the trip driving normally then it cant do the trip.
    It wasn't inexperience, I'd done nearly 100k EV driving by that time, morelikely brazen overconfidence in the Ioniq as it's so efficient.

2.5 hours meath to wexford is long enough without having to charge.

I won't go EV again until all my trips are covered by the range of the car, although to be fair I rarely exceed 200km in a day (hence why I went for the Ioniq), the stated real world range online needs to be at least 300km to make this comfortable, in all weathers, at real speed, with the heating on.

Nowadays there are plenty of EVs on the market that will do that, Kona/eniro/soul triplets, all teslas, etron., eqc etc

But it's hard to beat the versatility offered by a Tesla with CCS (retrofitted to an S/X if necessary) so this is in all likelihood the path I will go down.

Funny to think, if the initial Ioniq had sufficient range I would probably have stuck with it for the 5 years,great tech and amazing efficiency and C rates in a 25k ecobox from Korea. As I said to you at Lucan charger that time, it's a great car, half a tesla for a third of the money :D

I won't go EV again until all my trips are covered by the range of the car

Even if Ireland had a reliable multibay Ionity network with chargers on all your regular routes?

With your annual mileage, driving electric would again save you a fortune. But I guess the answer to this is irrelevant as you will soon enough own a Tesla with plenty of range :D

• Advertisement

Even if Ireland had a reliable multibay Ionity network with chargers on all your regular routes?

With your annual mileage, driving electric would again save you a fortune. But I guess the answer to this is irrelevant as you will soon enough own a Tesla with plenty of range :D

I don't want to charge en route, I think that is the answer.

I'm happy to use Ionity/Supercharger once a quarter or so but I expect 99.9% of my charging to be AC, overnight at home or during work hours for free

Not interested in saving a fortune, I've done that enough, interested in a fast car and interesting ownership experience which just happens to be an EV.

The alternatives I'm considering would be an early maserati quattroporte, e60 m5, 2004 bentley continental, audi Q7 TDI (v12 if possible), porsche cayenne turbo, audi etron, e38 750i, a myriad of lazy v8 (or V10) yank mobiles etc
    Cars I like. (once we move house)/
    I'm not an EVangelist, I'm a motoring enthusiast. I choose that term over petrolhead as a) I like a lot of rumbly large diesels, and b) I am fuel type agnostic when it comes to deciding if I like a car or not.

e60 m5

You'll lose your license or if you encounter that idiot judge in Naas you'll go to jail :(

Neighbour bought E63 M6 same V10 engine. Told his wife he borrowed it from a friend :D

Let me drive it too. Beast of an engine. He regularly drove it very early in the morning on an empty M4. Got it out of his system. Then he sold it a few months later without having been caught :D

E38 V8 or V12 is a very pleasant car for long journeys, arrive very fresh. Just the right combo of comfort and being able to drive at speed. That I never got a speeding ticket in mine is a miracle :D

Just to get back on point,my post was a testimonial of my own inattention.
    HYBRIDS with the very begruged exception of the i3rex are nothing short of an abomination and should all be crushed on the spot,total waste of reasources and a total hamstring to the adoption of evs

Hybrids and PHEV are emissions fine dodgers. That's why unfortunately they will be with us for quite some time.

HYBRIDS with the very begruged exception of the i3rex are nothing short of an abomination and should all be crushed on the spot,total waste of reasources and a total hamstring to the adoption of evs

P.S. my sister recently bought an outlander,can you guess why she's currently not speaking to me 🀣🀣🀣

• Moderators Posts: 12,386 ✭✭✭✭Black_Knight

Hybrids and PHEV are emissions fine dodgers. That's why unfortunately they will be with us for quite some time.

At least they're (mostly if not entirely) not diesel.

I've no real problem with PHEVs, if they're the right tool for the job. People are just too used to having 100s of miles of range at their disposal, without thinking whether they need it or not.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 19,199 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

Hybrids are cheap imports, PHEV cheaper again with charger grant, that's what's driving it

You'll lose your license or if you encounter that idiot judge in Naas you'll go to jail :(

Neighbour bought E63 M6 same V10 engine. Told his wife he borrowed it from a friend :D

Let me drive it too. Beast of an engine. He regularly drove it very early in the morning on an empty M4. Got it out of his system. Then he sold it a few months later without having been caught :D

E38 V8 or V12 is a very pleasant car for long journeys, arrive very fresh. Just the right combo of comfort and being able to drive at speed. That I never got a speeding ticket in mine is a miracle :D

I got a ticket for speeding in my leaf, and not in my 400+hp plymouth. That was essentially a drag car on the roads. :D:D

I'm at that stage of life (we're just going sale agreed in the next few days hopefully) where I am young enough to enjoy, but old enough to earn enough to pay for, some cars on my bucket list. Part of me wants a couple more fossil cars before they become unaffordable. I'll be able to buy and run an EV in 5 years, will I be able to run an 8 liter dodge ram? Probably not. 15mpg on a 30 mile commute is not bad at €1.45 a litre for petrol, but not going to stay that price for ever.

PS: is the e63 afflicted by the same range anxiety as the e60 m5? 200-220 miles range at best!

And cheap insurance too on pretty much anything. For the craic at some point I enquired for insurance on a brand new Ferrari, was a touch over a grand iirc fully comp :p
    PS: is the e63 afflicted by the same range anxiety as the e60 m5? 200-220 miles range at best!

At the speed I was driving it, there's no way I'd come close to even 150 miles :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,822 ✭✭✭Old diesel

adunis wrote: »

There's a school of thought that if battery supply is limited then it's better to have lots of smaller battery's in "efficient" hybrids by the lorry load .

Rather then a smaller amount of BEVs.

It's not one I share - when your hybrid is only doing 60 mpg.

There would be a solid enoigh case for Hybrid if it was turning a 40 to 50 mpg car into a 90 mpg one but it doesn't.

PHEVs at present are a bit of a faff in that for lots of user cases you might as well just do a full BEV.

The i3 Rex and new London taxis are both nice compromises though

Old diesel wrote: »
    There's a school of thought that if battery supply is limited then it's better to have lots of smaller battery's in "efficient" hybrids by the lorry load .

There would be a solid enoigh case for Hybrid if it was turning a 40 to 50 mpg car into a 90 mpg one but it doesn't.

PHEVs at present are a bit of a faff in that for lots of user cases you might as well just do a full BEV.

Future PHEVs look very promising

Especially the premium German stuff that can do 60-75km on electric and DC charge

I'd use maybe 5 litres of petrol a week with one of them with my 300km weekly driving, 169mpg

Mike9832 wrote: »
    Future PHEVs look very promising

The only thing promising is zero emissions cars. And a decent fast charging infrastructure (not run and owned by the state)

Hybrids and PHEV are lots better than diesel, but they are nothing but compliance cars while we transistion to BEV only...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,136 ✭✭✭✭KCross

Its a reasonable position for a manufacturer to take though, isnt it?
    You cant lose sight of the fact they are profit and shareholder driven not based on the best solution or what we feel is right for the environment.

And I think it might be less about battery shortages and more about high cost of said batteries.

OEM's can build their own engines today and hence more margin versus buying an expensive battery from LG, SDI etc and suffering reduced margins.

I agree. All a hybrid does really is capture the energy from braking. Nothing much else really and braking is a relatively small percentage of the overall energy required to move from A to B.

But then you are back to the original problem.... 4 PHEV's with a 15kWh battery allowing 4 owners to do, maybe, 90% of their driving in EV mode or manufacture one 60kWh BEV that only allows one owner do 100% of their driving in EV mode..... environmentally I think the 4 PHEV's is a better choice if the goal is to reduce emissions.

Arent they PHEV's though? What is your distinction?

Ideally we would skip hybrid and PHEV entirely and go directly from ICE to BEV but in reality its not possible (or not going to happen).

The only thing promising is zero emissions cars. And a decent fast charging infrastructure (not run and owned by the state)

Hybrids and PHEV are lots better than diesel, but they are nothing but compliance cars while we transistion to BEV only...

That can't happen for a long long time

Autogiants would go under

BEV will be compliance for a long while yet, PHEV will be the next step for them or so they hope

KCross makes good points above on it, from job losses to margin

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,822 ✭✭✭Old diesel

KCross wrote: »
    Its a reasonable position for a manufacturer to take though, isnt it?
    You cant lose sight of the fact they are profit and shareholder driven not based on the best solution or what we feel is right for the environment.

And I think it might be less about battery shortages and more about high cost of said batteries.

OEM's can build their own engines today and hence more margin versus buying an expensive battery from LG, SDI etc and suffering reduced margins.

I agree. All a hybrid does really is capture the energy from braking. Nothing much else really and braking is a relatively small percentage of the overall energy required to move from A to B.

But then you are back to the original problem.... 4 PHEV's with a 15kWh battery allowing 4 owners to do, maybe, 90% of their driving in EV mode or manufacture one 60kWh BEV that only allows one owner do 100% of their driving in EV mode..... environmentally I think the 4 PHEV's is a better choice if the goal is to reduce emissions.

Arent they PHEV's though? What is your distinction?

Ideally we would skip hybrid and PHEV entirely and go directly from ICE to BEV but in reality its not possible (or not going to happen).

Both i3 Rex and the Taxi both have good EV only range Vs most other PHEVs.

They show a workable during the week EV only operation while allowing petrol freedom to fill in gaps in infrastructure and time critical.

My problem with the 20 mile EV range PHEVs is that to get the best out of them you need to charge as often as practical and tbh you are then at a point where you might as well go BEV.

Edit - deleted multi quote

Both i3 Rex and the Taxi both have good EV only range Vs most other PHEVs.

They show a workable during the week EV only operation while allowing petrol freedom to fill in gaps in infrastructure and time critical.

My problem with the 20 mile EV range PHEVs is that to get the best out of them you need to charge as often as practical and tbh you are then at a point where you might as well go BEV.

Edit - deleted multi quote

Fair point

Those PHEVs are going to be 40-50 miles in 2020

2021-22 could be approaching 60-80 miles as battery density improves

That will cover 90% of journeys and get people into electrification mindset

By 2025-26 battery tech should be ready to do 400 mile EVs at below todays cost for low range EVs

Everyone will be moving over to BEV then

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,645 ✭✭✭krissovo

Ioniq’s 2nd hand values are seriously trending up in the last few weeks.
    €5 shy of €30k for a 2018 with 17k on the clock. Another €500 and you could get brand new.

https://www.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/hyundai-ioniq-electric-premium-with-28kw-battery/22760391

krissovo wrote: »
    €5 shy of €30k for a 2018 with 17k on the clock. Another €500 and you could get brand new.

https://www.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/hyundai-ioniq-electric-premium-with-28kw-battery/22760391

Mooneys again. That's 2 stupidly priced Ioniqs they've put up. This a Premium SE though, with that coveted "Leather Gear Lever".

There's so few for sale at any one time it could easily convince people that that's their going price.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,434 ✭✭✭September1

krissovo wrote: »

I think this is Premium SE presumably from UK which is a better spec that Irish ones, for example it includes ventilated seats.

September1 wrote: »
    I think this is Premium SE presumably from UK which is a better spec that Irish ones, for example it includes ventilated seats.
    Yup
    That wasn't sold here, premium SE.
    Ventilated seats, front parking sensors etc

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,496 ✭✭✭irishgrover

List of differences between Premium and Premium SE.
    Possibly not a full list.... but all that I can remember.
    • Leather seats
    • Front seats heater & ventilated (Premium is heated only front seats)
    • Powered driver seat - with 2 presets (Premium is manual)
    • Heated steering wheel
    • Heated seats in back - 2 outside seats only (Premium front seats only)
    • Front and back parking sensors (Premium is back parking sensors only)
    • Blind spot detection system
    • Chrome Pedals

Is the stereo different? - I don't know

• Leather seats
    • Heated steering wheel
    • Chrome Pedals

https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=109917042&postcount=6896

You're getting better at this :P

What's the P button beside auto hold?

• Registered Users Posts: 111 ✭✭jeremy_g

you can disable the front parking sensors :)

https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=109917042&postcount=6896

You're getting better at this :P

Practice makes perfect :-)

I did not notice the P button until someone mentioned in on here sometime last year. As mentioned, front parking sensors. I rarely use them as I always reverse park

• Advertisement
  • Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,406 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

Heated steering wheel is in the SE model (paddy spec) from 2019 on too. Though from what I've seen on other threads heated steering wheels are considered immoral :pac:

Mickeroo wrote: »
    Heated steering wheel is in the SE model (paddy spec) from 2019 on too. Though from what I've seen on other threads heated steering wheels are considered immoral :pac:

Heated steering with heated seats is great for efficiency. If your arse is warm and your hands are warm, then ya don't need the head heat on. :-)

*typo corrected

Heated steering with heated seats is great for efficiency. If your arse is warm and your hands are warm, then ya don't need the head on. :-)

Warm hands and a warm arse are no substitute for a head, grover!

• Registered Users Posts: 548 ✭✭✭paulers06

My PCP is up in January so will be looking at trading in then. Has anyone spoken to Hyundai about what’s on offer yet? I’d be tempted by the new Ioniq but would need to get it out on the M7 to test Limerick/Dublin rote. Sorry if this has been discussed already.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,061 ✭✭✭Uriel.

• Leather seats
    • Heated steering wheel
    • Chrome Pedals

I brought a Premium SE HEV in from UK earlier this year.
    I have to say I was surprised at home much I use the ventilated seats. Its a Godsend, particularly as the seats are leather - I basically never sweat or have that sticky heat feeling. As a one car family with a much shorter wife the electric driver seat adjustment with 2 memory functions is also wonderful.

All of the other extras are grand to have but wouldn't missed them, albeit I haven't used heated seats or steering wheel function yet.

• Advertisement

paulers06 wrote: »
    My PCP is up in January so will be looking at trading in then. Has anyone spoken to Hyundai about what’s on offer yet? I’d be tempted by the new Ioniq but would need to get it out on the M7 to test Limerick/Dublin rote. Sorry if this has been discussed already.

Contact your nearest Hyundai dealer and ask them to book you in for a 24h test drive as soon as they have the new higher range model.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,122 ✭✭✭BigAl81

Cross post from the Model Thread, but here is the Ioniq next to the bro in laws top spec performance Model 3 in Dublin earlier today for any one thinking of trading up ;)

488906.jpg

488907.jpg

488908.jpg

488909.jpg

488910.jpg

It's some car.

He took me for a spin, the acceleration literally takes your breath away.

Uriel. wrote: »
    I brought a Premium SE HEV in from UK earlier this year.
    I have to say I was surprised at home much I use the ventilated seats. Its a Godsend, particularly as the seats are leather - I basically never sweat or have that sticky heat feeling. As a one car family with a much shorter wife the electric driver seat adjustment with 2 memory functions is also wonderful.

All of the other extras are grand to have but wouldn't missed them, albeit I haven't used heated seats or steering wheel function yet.

for me the main extra wow is the blind spot warning system. Most of my driving is motorway, and it's invaluable in that environment, especially if you do a lot of overtaking.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,227 ✭✭✭Kramer

BigAl81 wrote: »
    Cross post from the Model Thread, but here is the Ioniq next to the bro in laws top spec performance Model 3 in Dublin earlier

Err............which one is the Tesla though?

:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,292 ✭✭✭MightyMunster

Love the heated steering wheel and seats,used them most mornings for the first few months i had it Jan-April.

Okay my occasional scheduled charging blip has turned into "vehicle controller not ready please try later" time to talk to Mr Hyundai methinks.
    In the meantime I just gotta hit the charge now button.......

Car didn't charge last night. Admittedly I rarely use scheduled charging, and I didn't put much effort into ensuring it was configured right, but I'm almost certain I set it up before.

Found the problem though, the "charge during reduced rates" thing was active, but the times for said reduced rates were blank. Again, 99% sure I set this before. We'll see how it goes tonight. Cabin was nice and warm though :)

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,406 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

Car didn't charge last night. Admittedly I rarely use scheduled charging, and I didn't put much effort into ensuring it was configured right, but I'm almost certain I set it up before.

Found the problem though, the "charge during reduced rates" thing was active, but the times for said reduced rates were blank. Again, 99% sure I set this before. We'll see how it goes tonight. Cabin was nice and warm though :)

There was a recall/update to fix the charging schedule for forgetting its set up. If you have newish firmware etc it shouldn't be a problem though.

Mickeroo wrote: »
    There was a recall/update to fix the charging schedule for forgetting its set up. If you have newish firmware etc it shouldn't be a problem though.

Yeah, I got all those updates the week after I got the car. I'll keep an eye on it and if it gives bother I'll be back to Kearys :rolleyes:

Yeah, I got all those updates the week after I got the car.

Are you sure? Post up your screen with the software versions here.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement