Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Hyundai Ioniq 28kWh

Comments

• Moderators Posts: 12,386 ✭✭✭✭Black_Knight

unkel wrote: »
    Are you sure? Post up your screen with the software versions here.

IMG-20190826-174604.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 671 ✭✭✭adunis

Interesting, my firmware and software is that version
    But my Mays at wayyyyyyyy outta date

adunis wrote: »
    Interesting, my firmware and software is that version
    But my Mays at wayyyyyyyy outta date

I got mine updated in may/June 2019. Or so they say

• Registered Users Posts: 128 ✭✭The Mist

Hi all! Long time reader here but first time poster!

Love the ioniq, I was told I was the first guy buying it in Cork. I put my deposit in early November 2016 and got in early Jan 2017, but I was seriously considering an upgrade to the model 3.

Did a test drive last week but I was slightly underwhelmed. Yes, it is a beautiful car and it drives great, but as a family man with 2 young kids and 3 dogs, don't see it working for me. The model s in the other hand...

With brexit lurking in, would I be crazy to try sell the ioniq, I'd hope to get 21k? and try get a model s? My maximum budget then would be €45k at a push. From what I've seen, I could probably just about get a 2016 facelift model s 75 in the UK.

Would you do it?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 65,743 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

Welcome to boards :)

I'm very much like yourself. Bought my Ioniq in January 2017 and had deposit down on Model 3. But then we got a dog, so a saloon is out.

Was very tempted by a Model S earlier this year, 7 seater with Tesla CPO warranty. But they are still a lot of money. And the size of the Model S scares me. I have had large cars before (like a BMW 7-series) but herself has not driven anything bigger than a Jaguar S-class and BMW 5-series and the Tesla is just so much bigger, particularly wider

I doubt you can drive it through many of Dublins multistories without a very good chance of damaging it. Never mind parking it in supermarket and other car parks. Driving on narrow roads would also be an issue. Stuff to consider, but I wouldn't not buy one because of all this.

I would put up an asking price of €22,500 for your Ioniq and see what you get. Ioniq is probably the lowest depreciating car in the Irish market at the moment

Personally I expect used Model S from the UK to drop in prices as they get more Model 3 deliveries. I'm sitting tight at the moment, forcing myself not to be tempted by any cars coming up for sale :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,563 ✭✭✭10-10-20

Is there a way to update firmwares manually on the Hyundai's, or is it strictly dealer only?

You can do it yourself, it's been posted in this thread. Several people have done it. But it's not without risk as you will find when you search this thread for it :D

Why would you though? Every version of the firmware has some fixes in it. I specifically find out what the fix is for the upgrade I want. If the dealer would not do the update for free, I would suggest that he should as it is a warranty repair. End of story. For the first 5 years only of course. I doubt if there would be further updates after that anyway. It ain't no Tesla that is continuously improved with tweaks and OTA software updates :D

Car didn't charge last night. Admittedly I rarely use scheduled charging, and I didn't put much effort into ensuring it was configured right, but I'm almost certain I set it up before.

Found the problem though, the "charge during reduced rates" thing was active, but the times for said reduced rates were blank. Again, 99% sure I set this before. We'll see how it goes tonight. Cabin was nice and warm though :)
    IMG-20190826-174604.jpg

Charged ok overnight last night. 100% this morning.

PITA though, ESB never got my order to install the night rate meter. ~2 weeks wasted there. Ordered again, but this time i'll be on top of them about it.

Charged ok overnight last night. 100% this morning.

PITA though, ESB never got my order to install the night rate meter. ~2 weeks wasted there. Ordered again, but this time i'll be on top of them about it.

Same here 3 weeks wasted ,if you have a digital meter already it 10 seconds on a phone app to changeover,also if your with electric Ireland you'll get the 150euro bonus for moving to.............
    Electric Ireland.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 191 ✭✭jontr

The Mist wrote: »
    Love the ioniq, I was told I was the first guy buying it in Cork. I put my deposit in early November 2016 and got in early Jan 2017, but I was seriously considering an upgrade to the model 3.

(...)
    With brexit lurking in, would I be crazy to try sell the ioniq, I'd hope to get 21k?

What's the milage on that car? Battery is 28kWh, correct? So that would be approx 180km of real-life range?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,238 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

jontr wrote: »
    What's the milage on that car? Battery is 28kWh, correct? So that would be approx 180km of real-life range?
    160 km winter motorway, 220km summer city

Same here 3 weeks wasted ,if you have a digital meter already it 10 seconds on a phone app to changeover,also if your with electric Ireland you'll get the 150euro bonus for moving to.............
    Electric Ireland.

I'm with them already, and only like 6-7 months into my contract.... which included 150euro credit. TBH, with an electric car you're probably better off with a better electricity rate than the €150 credit. I've not done the math (yet) but i'd imagine you can get better value out of a cheaper rate. The math will set me free...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,122 ✭✭✭BigAl81

unkel wrote:
    Every version of the firmware has some fixes in it. I specifically find out what the fix is for the upgrade I want.

How do you find this out?? I thought Hyundai didn't release this info directly?

BigAl81 wrote: »
    How do you find this out?? I thought Hyundai didn't release this info directly?

Search this thread for the word "bricked" and you'll pretty quickly find when things went wrong, and shortly before that post you'll probably find info about the firmware and how to guide.

ELM327 wrote: »
    160 km winter motorway, 220km summer city

Thanks for real life figures. It's a bummer, as I would need to make a stop on my way to Dublin.

• Advertisement

That's at 120km/h GPS speed though. If you drive a little bit slower the car goes a lot further. What's your route?

unkel wrote:
    That's at 120km/h GPS speed though. If you drive a little bit slower the car goes a lot further. What's your route?

No it doesn't unfortunately. My regular trip up north is a 170km trip.

Did it this weekend and car was giving me 225kms range for the trip and I was doing 110kmph on the motorway sections.

In the winter, on the exact same trip at the same speeds, I was only going to get 160kms range.

Very important to know winter range!!

Welcome to boards :)

I'm very much like yourself. Bought my Ioniq in January 2017 and had deposit down on Model 3. But then we got a dog, so a saloon is out.

Was very tempted by a Model S earlier this year, 7 seater with Tesla CPO warranty. But they are still a lot of money. And the size of the Model S scares me. I have had large cars before (like a BMW 7-series) but herself has not driven anything bigger than a Jaguar S-class and BMW 5-series and the Tesla is just so much bigger, particularly wider

I doubt you can drive it through many of Dublins multistories without a very good chance of damaging it. Never mind parking it in supermarket and other car parks. Driving on narrow roads would also be an issue. Stuff to consider, but I wouldn't not buy one because of all this.

I would put up an asking price of €22,500 for your Ioniq and see what you get. Ioniq is probably the lowest depreciating car in the Irish market at the moment

Personally I expect used Model S from the UK to drop in prices as they get more Model 3 deliveries. I'm sitting tight at the moment, forcing myself not to be tempted by any cars coming up for sale :D

Thanks unkel, I was hoping for some discouragement from hardcore ioniq owners though!! 2 months for Brexit only and have booked a 3 week holiday in between!! Ahhh :)

Hey jontr, mileage is 59,000 km and yeah range between 160-220 is quite accurate!

My regular trip up north is a 170km trip.

Did it this weekend and car was giving me 225kms range for the trip and I was doing 110kmph on the motorway sections.

In the winter, on the exact same trip at the same speeds, I was only going to get 160kms range.

Very important to know winter range!!

Indeed. That's why I asked exactly what the trip was.

If he can do the trip at 120km/h on 19 out of 20 times, but would have to slow down to 105km/h or even 100km/h on a very bad windy day in winter, should he not buy the car because of that?

I guess depends on him :)

• Advertisement

unkel wrote:
    If he can do the trip at 120km/h on 19 out of 20 times...

Unfortunately "winter range" is more like 7 times out of 20, not 1 in my experience.

Unfortunately "winter range" is more like 7 times out of 20, not 1 in my experience.

We don't know his trip! (or did I miss anything here?)

Obviously 180km at 120km/h GPS speed with a bit of margin is not possible unless in perfect summer circumstances.

180km on country / regional roads averaging 80km/h is fine even on a bad day in winter

Indeed. That's why I asked exactly what the trip was.

If he can do the trip at 120km/h on 19 out of 20 times, but would have to slow down to 105km/h or even 100km/h on a very bad windy day in winter, should he not buy the car because of that?
    I guess depends on him :)
    I sold mine for that reason, not fit for purpose.
    It's no good having 220km range when the sun is out if you can't do my 180km trip to the inlaws when it's cold (and when no one wants to stop)

What's the value add over my crap leaf then? In the 24kWh leaf I stopped once, if I have to stop once in the Ioniq aswell then whats the point of paying 2.5 times the price of the leaf?

ELM327 wrote: »
    I sold mine for that reason, not fit for purpose.
    It's no good having 220km range when the sun is out if you can't do my 180km trip to the inlaws when it's cold (and when no one wants to stop)

What's the value add over my crap leaf then? In the 24kWh leaf I stopped once, if I have to stop once in the Ioniq aswell then whats the point of paying 2.5 times the price of the leaf?

It looks better :D

I totally agree though. I don't want to compromise my driving style because of range. I do the odd trip out of range, and I've no problem using the public chargers in those instances, but if I regularly need to do 160-180km in the ioniq, and it involved any sustained period of open road (100km-120km GPS speed) then the Ioniq would be the wrong tool for the job, at least for me.

Just updated by the main dealer,and a nice wash n hoover all for free Keary's Cork 3 hours.
    We'll watch this space to see if scheduled charge bug is banished.
    All as before except for maps much later version

In my case I'm doing 170km (each way) trips once every month - but since it's a hospital visit with a child, stopping midway is not really an option. I can stop to charge the car before hitting road back, but since the appointments are usually around 8am, I have to leave early anyways, so need a car that will cover the distance without taking any risk.
    Also - how come there's no charging point around Crumlin hospital? This should be standard in places like this.

170 is possible with care even in the depths of winter.
    But you will absolutely have to charge at destination.
    Is there no fast charger en route? You're talking 25 mins for a full charge very unlikely that you will have a que in the very early morning.

Just updated by the main dealer,and a nice wash n hoover all for free Keary's Cork 3 hours.
    We'll watch this space to see if scheduled charge bug is banished.
    All as before except for maps much later version

Interesting. Had mine updated in Kearys back in May and it looks like everything has a newer version now.

But you will absolutely have to charge at destination.
    Is there no fast charger en route? You're talking 25 mins for a full charge very unlikely that you will have a que in the very early morning.
    I did 170 in the winter (not awful weather, we're talking 5-10 degrees) and had to go the last 10-15km at below 30km/h with hazards on.

To reccomend the chap to rely on the Ioniq to take his child to hospital in all weathers is quite frankly equal parts risible and remiss of logic

In my case I'm doing 170km (each way) trips once every month - but since it's a hospital visit with a child, stopping midway is not really an option. I can stop to charge the car before hitting road back, but since the appointments are usually around 8am, I have to leave early anyways, so need a car that will cover the distance without taking any risk.
    Also - how come there's no charging point around Crumlin hospital? This should be standard in places like this.

Oh sweet Jesus, don't do that in any EV unless it can do the return trip without charging even in bad weather. Kona or Soul or eNiro 64kWh or the longer range Teslas. And if you can't afford those, stick to ICE.

• Advertisement

adunis wrote:

Fake news unfortunately. Unless you want to drive at 90kmph on the motorway with no heat on.

Also if the car does "170", and your trip is 170, you'd probably like to arrive with more they 1km left in the tank. That would make for a very nervous last 20 or 30k wondering if you'll make it or not. God forbid the wind might pick up or you have to drive up a hill!

The car doing 170, and doing a trip of 170 in that car are two different things. You'd want a buffer of at least 15% spare if not more at the minimum.

https://www.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/hyundai-ioniq-ev-5dr-auto/21844021

Big mileage, big-ish price.
    Wrong tax, and horrifically out of focus photos.
    I thought i'd seen this one for sale recently enough though. The energy consumption of 6km/kWh suggests it's been blitzed around the place with test drives too.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 19,197 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

Stupid money, you'd get a same age SE edition from the UK cheaper than that

• Registered Users Posts: 149 ✭✭Doc el brown

Hi Guys,
    I just dropped my ioniq in for the 4th service. I asked about them updating the maps and the software and they said they dont have either as they are only sent to them every January. Thats the greatest load of BS I ever heard.
    Any advice on this?

Many thanks

See my post for the current versions,go to another dealer if they're being arses....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,111 ✭✭✭✭listermint

slave1 wrote: »
    Stupid money, you'd get a same age SE edition from the UK cheaper than that

Not by alot tbh. Similar pricing over there and you'd have transport costs on top.

See my post for the current versions,go to another dealer if they're being arses....
    Its in there now for the service. He only told me on the phone after I was gone

• Registered Users Posts: 111 ✭✭jeremy_g

Hi Guys,
    I just dropped my ioniq in for the 4th service. I asked about them updating the maps and the software and they said they dont have either as they are only sent to them every January. Thats the greatest load of BS I ever heard.
    Any advice on this?

Many thanks

Just got my Ioniq serviced yesterday in Kingstown Motors, Stillorgan and I asked for maps update, they did the software update as well. Latest version ends in .190314...

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,406 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

If this thread is anything to go by over the last couple of years it seems many dealers will do everything in their power to avoid updating firmware/maps, not looking forward to trying to wrangle it out of them in a few months when I get mine serviced.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,136 ✭✭✭✭KCross

Mickeroo wrote: »
    If this thread is anything to go by over the last couple of years it seems many dealers will do everything in their power to avoid updating firmware/maps, not looking forward to trying to wrangle it out of them in a few months when I get mine serviced.

Its relatively easy to do but it takes as long to update the software and maps as it does to do the rest of the service so you can see why some of them wouldnt do it without being "forced".

They want the mechanic to get onto the next car asap and make his wages! :)

Looking at Kia's site they say this
    "As part of our quality promise, each new Kia factory-fitted with an LG navigation device is entitled to six free annual map updates*. A unique offer that ensures your navigation system is always up-to-date."

However, when you look at the fine print it says this...
    "The program applies only to new Kia vehicles purchased after February 28, 2013 with factory fitted LG Navigation devices. Labor fees may occur at the service point for the time allocated to perform the update. 7 Year Map Update program provides six map updates as Kia vehicles already come with latest available map from the factory. The warranty of the navigation system is not affected by this program. Kia does not bear the responsibility for the quality of the map data supplied by the map data supplier Navteq. TomTom Live Services: Services are free of charge for 7 years after the first connection of the navigation to the mobile network."

I cant find any statement on the Hyundai website but I'd imagine they have the same T&C as Kia as they share the same software and are sister companies.

So, the map update is free to the dealer but they are entitled to charge for their time if they wish. So, its down to how much goodwill the dealer wants to give you really.

An update to the charging software is different. That would be deemed warranty but a map update would not be a warranty update.

KCross wrote: »
    Its relatively easy to do but it takes as long to update the software and maps as it does to do the rest of the service so you can see why some of them wouldnt do it without being "forced".

They want the mechanic to get onto the next car asap and make his wages! :)

I agree.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 19,197 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

listermint wrote: »
    Not by alot tbh. Similar pricing over there and you'd have transport costs on top.

Agreed but you'd get a way better spec'd car, way better mileage and way better condition...

Linky

Nov 2017 reg, SE Edition, 15,000miles, both cables, service plan and in excellent condition, asking £20,795.
    Been on sale for 3 weeks now....

The trick to force the dealer to apply the updates is this:

1. find out what issue was fixed in the latest update
    2. tell dealer you suffer from this issue and that you know it was fixed in this update
    3. dealer must apply update as it is a warranty repair

:D

2. tell dealer you suffer from this issue and that you know it was fixed in this update

Good advice.

I phoned hyundai head office two hours ago and the guy incharge of the updates called me back and said that all dealers have access to the map updates that they are on a central system and they all have the passwords. He said that there has been a high turn over of staff in that dealer and they probably didnt know. He was going to call them and call me back but hasnt call me back yet.

• Advertisement

They do all have access. But I did get the impression they have to download the software from Hyundai HQ in South Korea and this takes hours for some reason. I presume a very slow server. I also presume they only have to do this download once per car, but if you have an Ioniq Electric, there is every chance that you are the first owner that wants the update. They should start all new downloads once a week on a Saturday when they close at 13:00, surely by Monday first thing all of them would have completed?

I have also heard the story that the actual update of the car takes a long time, but I can't see how that is possible.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,819 ✭✭✭Silent Running

They do all have access. But I did get the impression they have to download the software from Hyundai HQ in South Korea and this takes hours for some reason. I presume a very slow server. I also presume they only have to do this download once per car, but if you have an Ioniq Electric, there is every chance that you are the first owner that wants the update. They should start all new downloads once a week on a Saturday when they close at 13:00, surely by Monday first thing all of them would have completed?

I have also heard the story that the actual update of the car takes a long time, but I can't see how that is possible.

As I'm sure you'll remember, I updated my Ioniq twice. It Takes about 10 minutes in all.

Once you have the maps on the SD card there in no installation. Just insert the card and it's done. It's the system software that takes 10 minutes.

Just in case anyone has issues with the system, there's a reset button hidden in the SD card slot.;)

That would work for the software but the maps are a separate install.

As I'm sure you'll remember, I updated my Ioniq twice. It Takes about 10 minutes in all.

Once you have the maps on the SD card there in no installation. Just insert the card and it's done. It's the system software that takes 10 minutes.

Wouldnt that be 10mins each though.

A dealer would have to copy the maps onto your SD card. 20-30GB's copy onto an SD card wont be quick.

And then another 10mins for the software update.

Both of those is probably as much as they'd spend doing everything else in the service.

Any idea why that info can be found out?

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement