Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Hyundai Ioniq 28kWh

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 65,743 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

KCross wrote: »
    That would work for the software but the maps are a separate install.

Indeed. The dealers always seem to do both though. Maybe it's in their protocols.

Wouldnt that be 10mins each though.

A dealer would have to copy the maps onto your SD card. 20-30GB's copy onto an SD card wont be quick.

You can write to a class 10 SD card at 10MB/s, I've done this recently for Raspberry Pi and that's about the speed that I got. Just looked it up and the cards cost me €3 + VAT each - cheap as chips :D

Ioniq 2018 map is 17GB

Linky

So should take no more than about half an hour

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,136 ✭✭✭✭KCross

unkel wrote: »
    Indeed. The dealers always seem to do both though. Maybe it's in their protocols.

Actually, come to think of it, if they updated the software it might potentially be incompatible with the latest maps.

As you said, the trick is convincing them that they HAVE to update the software for a warranty repair... thats easier said than done by what people are saying here.

You can write to a class 10 SD card at 10MB/s, I've done this recently for Raspberry Pi and that's about the speed that I got. Just looked it up and the cards cost me €3 + VAT each - cheap as chips :D

Ioniq 2018 map is 17GB

Linky

So should take no more than about half an hour

That would be about right. Its whether the guy doing it has the brain power to start that copy/paste exercise at the start of the job and then do the rest of the service while its copying.

As you said, the trick is convincing them that they HAVE to update the software for a warranty repair... thats easier said than done by what people are saying here.

You just have to be assertive :D

And if that doesn't work go to Hyundai Ireland like Doc el brown did.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,819 ✭✭✭Silent Running

A dealer would have to copy the maps onto your SD card. 20-30GB's copy onto an SD card wont be quick.

And then another 10mins for the software update.

Both of those is probably as much as they'd spend doing everything else in the service.

My understanding is that the same software update is used for most of the Hyundai range, well at least the same generation. They're supposed to have it on a drive ready to go.

The maps aren't installed, they're read from the SD card at each start up. There's no reason why they couldn't have a card with the new maps written on it and swap it for "your" card, which could be written over with the latest maps for the next customer. You don't need a master tech to write files to an SD card.

You're right about the time required to service the car though. I had my dash cam running throughout. Check all the lights work, top off the washer fluid and put it on a lift for a quick look underneath... job done. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 149 ✭✭Doc el brown

You just have to be assertive :D

And if that doesn't work go to Hyundai Ireland like Doc el brown did.

Exactly. So what happened was this: the guy from Hyundai (David) tried to contact the dealer service manager several and he didn't return his calls. The dealer rang me to say the car was ready and I said what's the latest on the maps. He said that he had told me already that I have to wait till Jan 2020. I told him that all he has to do is download the map from hyundai and that I was talking to David. He said that David is talking crap and the maps have to be sent in on a special hard drive. I asked him to phone David so he did.
    He came back to me and apologised and said that he was unaware of the procedure and he didn't have a hard drive to down load them today but he would get one tomorrow and download the maps and update for me next week. I explained to him that I requested this update when booking in the car two weeks ago and he should have had the maps ready to go, he agreed and couldn't apologise enough. He reckoned that the update would take 2 hrs but from the last few posts and from memory the last time was just an sd card swap out which took 5 minutes.
    Thanks for all the advice here today from all who responded. Much appreciated

My understanding is that the same software update is used for most of the Hyundai range, well at least the same generation. They're supposed to have it on a drive ready to go.

Supposed to, is the appropriate word there!
    The maps aren't installed, they're read from the SD card at each start up. There's no reason why they couldn't have a card with the new maps written on it and swap it for "your" card, which could be written over with the latest maps for the next customer. You don't need a master tech to write files to an SD card.

That'd be the intelligent thing to do alright although the SD card you take out has, for Kia anyway, the make/model of car written on it. I dont think it would be OK for them to use that card in a different model... it would work but I'd say it would be against procedures. I'd like my own SD card returned to my car if it were me.

Is there anything written on the Ioniq SD card?

You're right about the time required to service the car though. I had my dash cam running throughout. Check all the lights work, top off the washer fluid and put it on a lift for a quick look underneath... job done. :D

How long? 30mins?
    He reckoned that the update would take 2 hrs but from the last few posts and from memory the last time was just an sd card swap out which took 5 minutes.

It probably will take him 2hrs since it's clearly his first time doing it and hasnt a clue.

The SD card swap out is just for the maps. The software update is done separately and it goes through loading/rebooting etc... 10mins or so.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,385 ✭✭✭baldshin

https://www.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/hyundai-ioniq-ev-5dr-auto/21844021

Big mileage, big-ish price.
    Wrong tax, and horrifically out of focus photos.
    I thought i'd seen this one for sale recently enough though. The energy consumption of 6km/kWh suggests it's been blitzed around the place with test drives too.

I went to view this a few months ago when on the lookout for an Ioniq and didn't even bother speaking to anyone in the dealership when I got there, for a 171 of that price it's very rough around the edges bodywork wise.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,819 ✭✭✭Silent Running

Is there anything written on the Ioniq SD card?

How long? 30mins?

I bought a full size SD card to do my updates. I kept the original card with the original software on it. My theory was that if it all went tits up, I'd put the original card back in and whinge to the service manager that it just died. :D I needn't have worried though, it all went as smooth as glass.

From memory, the Ioniq SD card doesn't state the make or model, just some reference numbers.

I'd say about 10 minutes for the "service". The car drove into the workshop. The driver beeped the horn and another mech checked the lights while the driver did the switches. The car was backed on to a lift and the bonnet was lifted. The driver came into view with a coiled hose. I guessed it was washer fluid, it could have been just water. The bonnet was closed and the car lifted. It was up just long enough to walk under the full length of the car and back. The lift was lowered and the car was driven out of the workshop. That's all she wrote.... oh, the driver had a chat with a workmate leaning on the front of the car while having a smoke, but I didn't count that as part of the service. :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,018 ✭✭✭man_no_plan

And then another 10mins for the software update.

Both of those is probably as much as they'd spend doing everything else in the service.

It's like ordering a pint of Guinness and a gin and tonic.
    1. Pull the Guinness and leave it settle.
    2. Pour the gin, add ice and lemon.
    3. Open tonic. Place both on counter.
    4. Ring up on till, take money, give change.
    5. Finish off Guinness.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 285 ✭✭this.lad

I bought a full size SD card to do my updates. I kept the original card with the original software on it. My theory was that if it all went tits up, I'd put the original card back in and whinge to the service manager that it just died. :D I needn't have worried though, it all went as smooth as glass.

From memory, the Ioniq SD card doesn't state the make or model, just some reference numbers.

I'd say about 10 minutes for the "service". The car drove into the workshop. The driver beeped the horn and another mech checked the lights while the driver did the switches. The car was backed on to a lift and the bonnet was lifted. The driver came into view with a coiled hose. I guessed it was washer fluid, it could have been just water. The bonnet was closed and the car lifted. It was up just long enough to walk under the full length of the car and back. The lift was lowered and the car was driven out of the workshop. That's all she wrote.... oh, the driver had a chat with a workmate leaning on the front of the car while having a smoke, but I didn't count that as part of the service. :D

I was very impressed with my most recent service.

Had been paying 80 + euro for them depending on what one it was.

I changed to a different dealer. Service was only in or around 50 including wiper blades and pollen filter. Got a video of the full check and the car was washed and ready to go.

I be back there next time with both cars.

Where was that, this.lad?

this.lad wrote: »
    I was very impressed with my most recent service.

Had been paying 80 + euro for them depending on what one it was.

I changed to a different dealer. Service was only in or around 50 including wiper blades and pollen filter. Got a video of the full check and the car was washed and ready to go.

I be back there next time with both cars.

I cant see how thats possible.
    A set of dealer blades is €30-50. Pollen filter another €20-40. And then the rest of the service/time. I cant see how wipers, filter and service could be €50 inc vat all in at a dealer... not possible unless its mates rate type thing.... or else they told you they changed the filter but actually didnt.

Maybe he asked them nicely if they could do it for €50. Worked for me. Got it for free including pollen filter and brake fluid change.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 19,197 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

I cant see how thats possible.
    A set of dealer blades is €30-50. Pollen filter another €20-40. And then the rest of the service/time. I cant see how wipers, filter and service could be €50 inc vat all in at a dealer... not possible unless its mates rate type thing.... or else they told you they changed the filter but actually didnt.

You're right €50 is not on but neither is €40 for a filter, never mind €20 for a filter, I got mine online for something like €8

Maybe he asked them nicely if they could do it for €50. Worked for me. Got it for free including pollen filter and brake fluid change.

What did you get for free... the service/labour? And you just had to pay for the parts.... filter and fluid?

You've good powers of persuasion to do that for free as that actually cost the dealer money as they still have to pay their staff and brake fluid costs more than €50!

slave1 wrote: »
    You're right €50 is not on but neither is €40 for a filter, never mind €20 for a filter, I got mine online for something like €8

Im high on the filter alright... €10 is probably right.
    The wipers, unless you're buying cheap nasty ones, are going to be €30+

So, thats €40 for parts.

Is a dealer really going to charge just €10 inc vat for labour to fit those and do the other service inspections for just €8 ex vat. It wouldnt even cover their labour costs.

What did you get for free... the service/labour? And you just had to pay for the parts.... filter and fluid?

Nope. I didn't pay a cent for this years service. Got my first service free too last year.
    You've good powers of persuasion

Must do :D

I have a good relationship with the sales manager who sold the car to me. At the time I gave him some tips, pointed him to watching the Nyland winter test vids of Ioniq etc. And when I booked in the second service (through him) he had some further questions for me. And I have probably indirectly given him a few sales over the years. Not that the Ioniq electrics wouldn't have sold otherwise though :)

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,406 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

Looks like Bjorn was doing his 1000km challenge in an ioniq yesterday. I didn't see the live stream but should have a summary up in the next few days.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 671 ✭✭✭adunis

12 hrs 15 mins I believe

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 619 ✭✭✭slicedpanman

adunis wrote: »
    12 hrs 15 mins I believe
    Not bad, his guess beforehand was 12 hours

Not bad at all. And a very good guess!

I've always said it, even an EV with at tiny battery like Ioniq is fine as the single family car even if you do occasional long trips. AS LONG AS THERE IS A DECENT CHARGING INFRASTRUCTURE :D

In fact this is what I have done. I bought in January 2017 in the confidence that I would not get stuck on an occasional long trip. I made several trips beyond the range of the car (with the family on board) and had no difficulties charging and no moaning from the family

I stopped doing that last year, as it was just too risky with all these new charger hugging EVs on the road owned by people with no idea of charging etiquette. So last year above in bold no longer applied

Now this year I will gladly drive long distance again as long as there are Ionity chargers on the route

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 8,061 Mod ✭✭✭✭liamog

It's funny, my experience driving long distance in the UK has been much more positive than across Ireland.
    I reckon between Ionity, EasyGo, and the eCars paid charging, we're going to see a massive increase in the utility of public rapid charging.

Northern Ireland is likely to stay an issue for a while longer.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 619 ✭✭✭slicedpanman

12 hrs 15 mins I believe

He has just posted his video of the leaf 62 doing the 1000km challenge...

15.5 hours

:O

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,238 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

liamog wrote: »
    It's funny, my experience driving long distance in the UK has been much more positive than across Ireland.
    I reckon between Ionity, EasyGo, and the eCars paid charging, we're going to see a massive increase in the utility of public rapid charging.

Northern Ireland is likely to stay an issue for a while longer.
    The north is an "issue" for lots of reasons!
    But I think, especially for anyone buying a model 3, the non-ecars infrastructure is getting to the point where you can traverse the country without using an ecars 50kW mild-fast charger.
    Between ionity, superchargers, and easygo, most main routes are now covered or will be in the next 6-12 months.

• Advertisement

He has just posted his video of the leaf 62 doing the 1000km challenge...

15.5 hours

:O
    Hilarious.
    I don't know why but I get a lot of perverse schadenfreude joy from seeing the leaf BS being exposed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,912 ✭✭✭Mike9832

ELM327 wrote: »
    Hilarious.
    I don't know why but I get a lot of perverse schadenfreude joy from seeing the leaf BS being exposed.

I get joy of people defending it :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,227 ✭✭✭Kramer

Not so nice finding significant damage to Mrs. K's 191 Ioniq after washing it the other day. Although equipped with front/rear dashcams with parking mode, not knowing when the damage occurred means the event has been long since overwritten/deleted.
    Couple of thousand euro for repair no doubt - lot of repainting required.

Also not good to hear an unnatural whine from the transmission on regeneration/braking - a visit to the dealer is in order me thinks.

Poor auld Ioniq - what have they done to you :(.

• Moderators Posts: 12,386 ✭✭✭✭Black_Knight

What's with the charger end of the cable here (in the "flung the cable in the boot" pic)? Doesn't look like mine at all.
    https://www.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/hyundai-ioniq-ev/22868326

Hmm how hard is it to coil up your cable.?
    Not the O.E. cable.

• Advertisement

Hmm how hard is it to coil up your cable.?
    Not the O.E. cable.

In other news

My occasional scheduled charging problem persists,even after the updates ,my new strategy is wait until it gets very much worse and then bring it in,f@#+ed if I'm leaving the car there until they experience it.

What's with the charger end of the cable here (in the "flung the cable in the boot" pic)? Doesn't look like mine at all.
    https://www.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/hyundai-ioniq-ev/22868326
    That looks like he's muled a type 1 female on at the end to meet a tethered type one home charger.

It's either that or a CEE connector

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,888 ✭✭✭zg3409

In other news

My occasional scheduled charging problem persists,even after the updates ,my new strategy is wait until it gets very much worse and then bring it in,f@#+ed if I'm leaving the car there until they experience it.

I am using scheduled charging using Zappi boost timer. As I said before it failed to charge twice now in 3 months. Dealer said no fault found, and that charging port recall was completed in 2018. Just yesterday I updated the Zappi software, but either way it has been OK the last couple of weeks. I am worried each night it might not charge, but I have a backup ICE and I can make it to work slowly and public charge nearby. I can now check on the zappi app if it got a charge overnight before leaving house. I know the leaf can be set to alert you if it is not charging at x time of the night, hopefully full app support will come with that feature on future ioniq models.

• Registered Users Posts: 399 ✭✭Petetheroadie

Would I be mental to consider getting a current model Ioniq now, with the new one coming out soon?

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,406 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

Would I be mental to consider getting a current model Ioniq now, with the new one coming out soon?

Not really, the new one looks overpriced and charges slower and will still have less than 300km range imo.

I would go E-Niro or E-Soul if you're looking at paying full whack for a new car early 2020 though.

Depends on the price of the new model. And availability. And your circumstances. Remember the new model has more range but charges slower. This can lead to funny results:

1000 km in Ioniq 28kWh - takes 12 hours
    1000 km in Leaf 62kWh - takes 15 hours

Depends on the price of the new model. And availability. And your circumstances. Remember the new model has more range but charges slower. This can lead to funny results:

1000 km in Ioniq 28kWh - takes 12 hours
    1000 km in Leaf 62kWh - takes 15 hours

What are the specifics on the new ones charging speeds? Is it its top end charging speed, or does it taper off the kW/hr earlier in the charging cycle? Or is it simply exactly the same, but a bigger battery to charge?

IMO, the new ioniq doesn't look like enough of an upgrade to justify what will be an increased price (Are we guessing around 34k?) for a minor increase in range. Petetheroadie , if you need that increased range, maybe it's more of an option, but how does the existing Ioniq (i'm talking second hand to save a few quid because brand new vs 1-2 years old seems hardly worth) fit your driving habits?

What are the specifics on the new ones charging speeds? Is it its top end charging speed, or does it taper off the kW/hr earlier in the charging cycle? Or is it simply exactly the same, but a bigger battery to charge?

IMO, the new ioniq doesn't look like enough of an upgrade to justify what will be an increased price (Are we guessing around 34k?) for a minor increase in range. Petetheroadie , if you need that increased range, maybe it's more of an option, but how does the existing Ioniq (i'm talking second hand to save a few quid because brand new vs 1-2 years old seems hardly worth) fit your driving habits?

I think it has the same charging set up as the 39kwh Kona which is supposedly quite slow. I think there's videos around of it on YouTube.

Had some trouble with my current ICE car, so time to change.

So most of my driving is local enough, (Meath/Louth/Dublin) bar the odd trip to Newry/Banbridge (from Laytown) and we have a diesel for long trips.

I cancelled my Model 3 reservation, and was looking at 2015 Model S, but at ~38k euro landed, I can't justify it (especially without a Tesla warranty), so now looking at the Ioniq. Have an option on a Jan 2019 model, grey metallic paint for about 25k euro that I'm considering, and I'll be trying to bargain hard to get that down as much as possible. I expect the 2020 one to be ~36k euro (premium SE), and I like the look of the refreshed design and better entertainment screen etc, as well as the slightly longer range, but as I type this I'm becoming more and more sure that the 2019 one is a decent deal.

• Advertisement

Mickeroo wrote: »
    I think it has the same charging set up as the 39kwh Kona which is supposedly quite slow. I think there's videos around of it on YouTube.
    You talking about the 39kWh Kona charging at really low speeds from low charge? 22kw/h when charging from single digit percentages? That's pretty horrific.

Pity fastned (my go to for charging rates over certain %) doesn't list the 39kw kona or eniro.

So most of my driving is local enough, (Meath/Louth/Dublin) bar the odd trip to Newry/Banbridge (from Laytown) and we have a diesel for long trips.

I cancelled my Model 3 reservation, and was looking at 2015 Model S, but at ~38k euro landed, I can't justify it (especially without a Tesla warranty), so now looking at the Ioniq. Have an option on a Jan 2019 model, grey metallic paint for about 25k euro that I'm considering, and I'll be trying to bargain hard to get that down as much as possible. I expect the 2020 one to be ~36k euro (premium SE), and I like the look of the refreshed design and better entertainment screen etc, as well as the slightly longer range, but as I type this I'm becoming more and more sure that the 2019 one is a decent deal.

Seems like a bargain. 2018 ioniqs are going for that money. The grey isn't too bad a colour either, needs a bumper wrap like they all do, but tis a nice alternative to the whites everyone has.

25k one for sure

Bargain

36k is way too much for new one

Better to go with eNiro at that price

...I expect the 2020 one to be ~36k euro (premium SE), and I like the look of the refreshed design and better entertainment screen etc, as well as the slightly longer range, but as I type this I'm becoming more and more sure that the 2019 one is a decent deal.

Are you sure Ireland is getting the SE model, current model SE range never made it here AFAIK

Are you sure Ireland is getting the SE model, current model SE range never made it here AFAIK
    SE is low spec, then premium (which was all we got) and then premium SE.
    SE and premium SE did not make it here

Ah, I misread the SE piece, never even knew there was an SE model, thanks for explaining

...I expect the 2020 one to be ~36k euro (premium SE), and I like the look of the refreshed design and better entertainment screen etc, as well as the slightly longer range, but as I type this I'm becoming more and more sure that the 2019 one is a decent deal.

Even the dealers don't know! And I'm guesstimating price to be honest.

Even the dealers don't know! And I'm guesstimating price to be honest.

Mike9832 wrote: »

25k one for sure

Bargain

36k is way too much for new one

Better to go with eNiro at that price

Cheers! Ok, time to get on to the bank about finance.

• Advertisement

Cheers! Ok, time to get on to the bank about finance.

Try avant bank loan

6.1% on over 20k

Cheapest around

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement