Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Hyundai Ioniq 28kWh

Comments

Bigus wrote: »
    This is very impressive , especially the pedestrian collision avoidence at the end

Euro NCAP crash tests

Jesus that is pretty impressive stuff ! thanks for sharing.

Yeah no one can deny the Ioniq is an impressive car !

I would love full automation for coming off night shifts, I long for the day.

cros13 wrote: »
    Sorry... the dangers of editing quotes when you're still groggy from the night before. :)

Good night then I take it ? :)

Ok so we will go with this thread then for the EVSE software update ?

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2057580290

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 8,061 Mod ✭✭✭✭liamog

As promised, pic of our new Ioniq in Black.

Met another Ioniq driver whilst charging in Lucan. It was the first one we've seen in the wild.

Can confirm the Leap Card worked for the charger too.

vzUxHrO.jpg?2

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 65,751 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

Very nice, liamog. Well wear! You live in Lucan too? I'll meet ya at the CCS in a few weeks so :)

What's the story with the leap card? Can anyone with a leap card use a fast charger?

And did you get the black version of the plastic grille? How much was that extra? The Ioniq looks great in black (my 24h test car was black), but hard to keep clean, so not for me.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 8,061 Mod ✭✭✭✭liamog

We live in Ongar and go through Lucan Village if we're heading home from the south of the city.

I'm on a charger exploration buzz at the moment so will be wandering around the CCS chargers of Dublin.

The grill is the standard one, it does seem to go well with the black though :D.

As to the leap card, It's been mentioned that any RFID card will activate them at the moment, I know the Leap Card is RFID so figured I'd give it a try and it worked.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,179 ✭✭✭✭josip

Is there much free space under the bonnet?
    ICE owner here imagining a yawning chasm when the bonnet is lifted...
    Can't find any pics on the net

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,410 ✭✭✭positron

josip wrote: »
    Is there much free space under the bonnet?
    ICE owner here imagining a yawning chasm when the bonnet is lifted...
    Can't find any pics on the net

No space under the bonnet. See here (8m36mins on):

https://youtu.be/04kfyrZBrAU?t=8m36s

• Registered Users Posts: 548 ✭✭✭paulers06

Has anyone experienced a long wait for their grant to be approved? My Ioniq has been sitting in the dealership ready to go for the last week but the grant hasn't been approved yet. Frustrating to say the least!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,285 ✭✭✭cros13

paulers06 wrote: »
    Has anyone experienced a long wait for their grant to be approved? My Ioniq has been sitting in the dealership ready to go for the last week but the grant hasn't been approved yet. Frustrating to say the least!

Nope... I suspect the dealer, unfamiliar with the process, might have screwed up the paperwork or failed to submit it on time.

• Advertisement

When was the application submitted, ours took 12 days. The charge point guys are backed up due to all the new 171 EVs, maybe the grant people are too.

cros13 wrote: »
    Nope... I suspect the dealer, unfamiliar with the might have screwed up the paperwork or failed to submit it on time.

My thoughts exactly but dealer is saying the SEAI are just slow at processing it. They're hopeful that I'll get the car at some stage this week! They say the application is at stage 3 of 5.

I was surprised at how swiftly the ESB charger was installed. My initial expectation was that I would have the car weeks before I received the charge point, not the other way around!

Definitely sounds like they made a mistake on paper work then!

• Registered Users Posts: 603 ✭✭✭kave2

Guys, are the charging points integrated in sat nav?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,784 ✭✭✭TBi

I was surprised at how swiftly the ESB charger was installed. My initial expectation was that I would have the car weeks before I received the charge point, not the other way around!

You can't get the charge point until after the grant is approved. Someone is telling porkies!

TBi wrote: »
    You can't get the charge point until after the grant is approved. Someone is telling porkies!

Makes a lot of sense, we were wondering what ESB would do if the grant isn't approved. The dealership did say that they registered the car prior to grant approval which supposedly they aren't meant to do. They have now deregistered the car pending approval and will then re-register it. I wonder if they had to push through all the paperwork again when they deregistered it and just haven't said. It was Thursday when they told me that the car reg was going to change. Would it take a week for the approval of a grant? That would bring me up to the end of this week. So annoying know that the car has been sitting there since last Saturday and I can't have it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,285 ✭✭✭cros13

It can take a week or two for grant approval all right.... looks like the dealer is learning on the job with your order.

With a dealer who's been through the process before (I've gone through this with BMW and Nissan dealers), they normally have the grant paperwork in as soon as they get the VIN, before the car even leaves the factory. They then have an approved grant before the car even arrives and can either arrange installation of the chargepoint or give the new owner the application number to arrange themselves.

I've had the ESB subsidised chargepoints beat the car home only once.... they always say they're mad busy.

Thanks for that info, cros13. Means I can start chasing up the dealer next week (still 4 weeks before my car arrives into the country)

• Registered Users Posts: 945 ✭✭✭Jakey Rolling

unkel wrote:
    It's actually a €4000 scrappage offer. In my case, my car is only worth a tiny fraction of that. In your case, I'm not sure how it works out. As with buying any new car, don't expect top dollar for it though. Ring the dealer and tell us here what they are saying. Could possibly be worth your while selling your Golf privately and buying a banger to use in the scrappage scheme.

Visited the dealer, as expected scrappage doesn't apply and their valuation on my Golf is on the low side. If I sell privately and pay cash they will give me €1800 discount. Fair enough, saves them the bother of processing a trade in.

Quoted OTR price €30,595 Inc metallic paint €575 and delivery €675. Only available white or black? Hyundai Ireland brochure shows silver and blue too?

100412.2526@compuserve.com

Buy a banger! And don't just visit one dealer, ring / email all of them. There are 30 in Ireland.

All colours are available, boat with Ioniqs is coming in on 20/02/2017. That dealer is probably trying to sell you one he has in stock. Wouldn't deal with them again tbh.

• Advertisement

Visited the dealer, as expected scrappage doesn't apply and their valuation on my Golf is on the low side. If I sell privately and pay cash they will give me €1800 discount. Fair enough, saves them the bother of processing a trade in.

Quoted OTR price €30,595 Inc metallic paint €575 and delivery €675. Only available white or black? Hyundai Ireland brochure shows silver and blue too?

If you can buy a banger that has a few months tax on it and isn't due an NCT for 6 months+ then all you'd have to do is pay insurance on it? €300?
    eg. this

But if the banger costs you €1000 and you get €4000 scrappage then you'll net €3000.
    However without the scrappage you'll get €1800 off, so the difference is really only €1,200 for at least a 6 month wait?
    Plus your golf will be 6 months older when you sell it (unless you drive the banger) and you'll get less for it.

Is my back of an envelope stuff correct?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,951 ✭✭✭✭Villain

Why doesn't scrappage apply? No NCT?

His car is worth a lot more than the €4k scrappage.

• Registered Users Posts: 603 ✭✭✭kave2

There is EV charger at my workplace. Asked about it and apperently is a paid one. I thought all the charging points are free.
    4uAR2UNHiMjPm1uB6

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,087 ✭✭✭isnottheword

kave2 wrote: »
    There is EV charger at my workplace. Asked about it and apparently is a paid one. I thought all the charging points are free.
    4uAR2UNHiMjPm1uB6

The public EV network run by Ecars/ESB is currently free. What you are referring to is a charger that your employer arranged to have installed.

Some employers are providing them free to use whilst others are charging. There are companies offering employers installation, servicing together with a payment system - and they've probably taken such a contract with that type of provider.

You could politely query with facilities/hr as regards their justification for charging.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,936 ✭✭✭ewj1978

Sat in the Ioniq today, Nice car. 2 niggles ,for me,compared to my leaf.
    1: its a low seating position.(im used to the seats in the leaf being higher) which meant i kinda had to roll out of it.
    2: The roof design at the back meant i hit my head while getting out. First time I thought I'm a clown. Second time I did it, I tried to figure out what was up. I'm not a tall man but had to duck my head out when getting out of the back.

Back headroom is tight alright but how often do most people have adults in the back seats?

From what I've read you're ok in the back up to about 1.78m in height. If you are a bit taller, you won't be able to sit up 100% straight :D

unkel wrote:
    All colours are available, boat with Ioniqs is coming in on 20/02/2017. That dealer is probably trying to sell you one he has in stock. Wouldn't deal with them again tbh.

unkel wrote:
    Buy a banger! And don't just visit one dealer, ring / email all of them. There are 30 in Ireland.

Didn't get a great vibe off salesman right enough. Not particularly well informed on the technology. He also tried to put me off PCP as my " mileage was high" at 25,000km/year, but that's a discussion for another thread. As if my car would depreciate less if I financed it some other way? Only way it matters is if I hand the car back after 3 years which anyone would be mad to do.

Yes, I intend to check with other dealerships.

Will most likely arrange private sale of the Golf and avail of cash discount. Have use of a relatives car to tide us over if need be.

• Advertisement

Other thing - I sat in the demo car and was checking out some of the data screens.

Of the last 4 test drives, the calculated economy varied from 15 to 23kWh/100km. That's well less than the advertised 11.5kWh - is that typical when it is driven hard, presumably to show off performance? Regeneration was set to level 2.

This is a post on one of the FB groups:
    Called into the Hyundai dealer in Naas today to see what kind of PCP deals are available on the Ioniq EV.

"We won't do PCP on the Ioniq electric. It's not a good idea for our customers as it's all very new at the moment". End quote !!!

Anyone else heard that?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,582 ✭✭✭Padraig Mor

Villain wrote: »
    This is a post on one of the FB groups:

Anyone else heard that?

I'd hazard a guess the salesman was talking through his hole. There's PCP figures on the Hyundai website for the Ioniq so presumably they're doing it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,808 ✭✭✭✭Water John

I suspect some one in Naas is getting a bollocking down the phone from Hyundae Ireland HQ this morning.

Not happy with someone being identifiable on social media. It's somone's job may be at risk.

We did PCP on our Ioniq Electric so your man is completely wrong

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,784 ✭✭✭TBi

Water John wrote: »
    Not happy with someone being identifiable on social media. It's somone's job may be at risk.

I agree with you somewhat. But this salesman may have cost at least one sale for Hyundai due to not doing his job properly. I wish more people were taking to task for not doing their job properly.

• Advertisement

Water John wrote: »
    I suspect some one in Naas is getting a bollocking down the phone from Hyundae Ireland HQ this morning.

Maybe he shouldn't talk BS so?

On another point - is the "5 years free servicing" offer worth taking for a full EV? The alternative is €4000 scrappage (doesn't apply to me) or max €800 towards insurance costs (my insurance currently €450)

Surely the servicing costs are much less than for an ICE.

Anyone have figures for the servicing schedule and costs for a Leaf to give a rough idea?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 970 ✭✭✭oinkely

On another point - is the "5 years free servicing" offer worth taking for a full EV? The alternative is €4000 scrappage (doesn't apply to me) or max €800 towards insurance costs (my insurance currently €450)

Surely the servicing costs are much less than for an ICE.

Anyone have figures for the servicing schedule and costs for a Leaf to give a rough idea?

Leaf service is €129 with nissan. Battery check, pollen filter replacement and visual inspection. that's once a year.

The alternative is €4000 scrappage (doesn't apply to me)

Scrappage does apply to you. You just need to get yourself a banger. Most dealers don't ask questions at all, let alone ask if it is taxed / insured / NCTd...
    Try harder man, do you not want to save yourself €4k of your hard earned money???

And the 5 years servicing plan on the Ioniq EV is only £349 in the UK, so that would be a very poor choice

unkel wrote: »
    Scrappage does apply to you. You just need to get yourself a banger. Most dealers don't ask questions at all, let alone ask if it is taxed / insured / NCTd...
    Try harder man, do you not want to save yourself €4k of your hard earned money???

And the 5 years servicing plan on the Ioniq EV is only £349 in the UK, so that would be a very poor choice

It's not €4k.
    He said he'll get €1800 off the price without a tradein.
    And the banger will cost something to buy even if he can get it past the dealer without the necessary ownership period.
    So something less than €2,000 I think.

• Advertisement

Sure josip, but you can still get a good bit of money off after you get scrappage (depending on your negotiation skills)

Who doesn't want to keep 2 or 3 grand in their pocket with minimal risk / effort?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,138 ✭✭✭✭KCross

On a different note, does the Ioniq have a phone app to allow remote heating?

What else does the app do?

Do Hyundai have an owners website where the cars data gets logged like Nissan Carwings?

oinkely wrote: »
    Leaf service is €129 with nissan. Battery check, pollen filter replacement and visual inspection. that's once a year.

Plus Brake fluid for €55 on year two service.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,553 ✭✭✭Fiery mutant

I'd hazard a guess the salesman was talking through his hole. There's PCP figures on the Hyundai website for the Ioniq so presumably they're doing it.

When I was initially looking around, I called Naas and the salesperson basically told me that the Ioniq Electric wouldn't be a good idea for me.

So I went somewhere else.

We should defend our way of life to an extent that any attempt on it is crushed, so that any adversary will never make such an attempt in the future.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,615 ✭✭✭grogi

Other thing - I sat in the demo car and was checking out some of the data screens.

Of the last 4 test drives, the calculated economy varied from 15 to 23kWh/100km. That's well less than the advertised 11.5kWh - is that typical when it is driven hard, presumably to show off performance? Regeneration was set to level 2.

Theoretically the regeneration level has nothing to do with the achieved efficiency. In real world with real people the effect of it will be opposite to what one would expect...

The higher level of regeneration, the more the car slows down when you lift the foot from the accelerator. As the result, the regeneration/acceleration cycle happens more frequently and it is deeper. Energy conversion is never 100% efficient, so a cycle like that is less efficient than a simply coasting.

So, it is more difficult it is to get higher economy figures with higher regeneration levels, while it is easiest when there would be no energy regeneration on "engine breaking". But a car that automatically coasts feels just ... weird...

josip wrote: »
    It's not €4k.
    He said he'll get €1800 off the price without a tradein.
    And the banger will cost something to buy even if he can get it past the dealer without the necessary ownership period.
    So something less than €2,000 I think.

Classic example of "Penny wise, pound foolish"?

grogi wrote: »
    Theoretically the regeneration level has nothing to do with the achieved efficiency. In real world with real people the effect of it will be opposite to what one would expect...

The higher level of regeneration, the more the car slows down when you lift the foot from the accelerator. As the result, the regeneration/acceleration cycle happens more frequently and it is deeper. Energy conversion is never 100% efficient, so a cycle like that is less efficient than a simply coasting.

So, it is more difficult it is to get higher economy figures with higher regeneration levels, while it is easiest when there would be no energy regeneration on "engine breaking". But a car that automatically coasts feels just ... weird...

You forget one thing - braking! I always drive in regen (B) mode in my Leaf. Obviously 'pure' coasting is the most efficient way of driving and I will gently press the accelerator to stop regen and coast when applicable. However, I'd estimate that the vast majority of my regen time is time when I actually want to slow down anyway - i.e. (to a certain extent) instead of using brakes, I use regen to slow the car. So, less use of brakes and more power to my battery - all at a time when I would have been 'wasting' energy by braking anyway. Gains from regen can be significant - it's been ages since I checked, but I've seen up to 30% of my power used coming from regen.

You forget one thing - braking!

If you depress the break pedal, pads are not used unless absolutely necessary. That would be extremely wasteful.

When you break, even with the pedal, you are regenerating too. It is only with emergency breaking or at very slow speeds that the conventional breaking system is used. It was like that in the Prius and it makes absolutely no sense not to have it like than in any BEV.

If you depress the break pedal, pads are not used unless absolutely necessary. That would be extremely wasteful.

When you break, even with the pedal, you are regenerating too. It is only with emergency breaking or at very slow speeds that the conventional breaking system is used.

That must be the way it works. Recently saw a video of an NCT like test on a 300k km Tesla Model S and the original brake disks were only half worn. And that's a car that's heavier than a full fat Range Rover!

When you break, even with the pedal, you are regenerating too. It is only with emergency breaking or at very slow speeds that the conventional breaking system is used. It was like that in the Prius and it makes absolutely no sense not to have it like than in any BEV.

You somewhat miss my point, which is that I use regen to slow the car (and get a little charge) when I would be slowing anyway - i.e. not "the opposite to what one would expect" as you said above.

I know about regen when braking but disagree that the pads are only used in emergencies or at very slow speeds. My subjective experience (Leaf) is that max regen only gives a mild braking effect - very roughly max 25% of braking power - so anything more than mild pressure on the pedal will use the pads.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement