Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Hyundai Ioniq 28kWh

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,236 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

unkel wrote: »
    I must drive more aggressively than the lot of ya :pac:

Yes, AEB does exactly what it says on the tin. It's autonomous. When I drive a bit too quickly onto my drive way where the Porsche is parked, the car beeps vehemently for about 0.5s and then the full anchors are on and the car stops itself. This happens me regularly :D

Is that standard on all Irish Ioniqs. Can't remember it ever happening to me

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 8,061 Mod ✭✭✭✭liamog

It's standard, head round to unkels house and we can all test it out by driving into his Porsche!

• Registered Users Posts: 149 ✭✭Doc el brown

Hi Guys,

Any idea how to get the live charger status as per Black_Knight above? I got my map updates today but this doesnt work. I am connected as the live traffic data works. Also I have supposedly had my car software updated today but the software numbers are the same. Does anyone know the exact newest software and firmware numbers please.
    Many thanks guus

• Registered Users Posts: 111 ✭✭jeremy_g

you will need the latest software as well

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,136 ✭✭✭✭KCross

Hi Guys,

Any idea how to get the live charger status as per Black_Knight above? I got my map updates today but this doesnt work. I am connected as the live traffic data works. Also I have supposedly had my car software updated today but the software numbers are the same. Does anyone know the exact newest software and firmware numbers please.
    Many thanks guus

First off, your version is not the latest. Its still on 2017 data. If your dealer said he did it he lied!

Even if you did update it, the eCars live status will not be shown.... yet.
    It requires TomTom live to get the live feeds from eCars, which they are working on, but its not live yet.

jeremy_g wrote: »
    you will need the latest software as well

Thanks for that. So the live data wont work unless the car software is updates aswell yea?

KCross wrote: »
    First off, your version is not the latest. Its still on 2017 data. If your dealer said he did it he lied!

Even if you did update it, the eCars live status will not be shown.... yet.
    It requires TomTom live to get the live feeds from eCars, which they are working on, but its not live yet.

Thanks for that. I thought this update provided us with the live data from the chargers. I must have misunderstood. Any idea when its coming

Thanks for that. I thought this update provided us with the live data from the chargers. I must have misunderstood. Any idea when its coming

It does, see here...
    https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=110725926

There are two problems in your case...

1... they didnt give you the update to begin with
    2... it doesnt work for eCars sites yet but thats not your cars problem... once eCars and TomTom fix their end your car will just start showing it assuming you fix issue 1.

If you had the latest software it would be showing a date of 190222 (i.e. Feb 2019), not 170920.

It does, see here...
    https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=110725926

There are two problems in your case...

1... they didnt give you the update to begin with
    2... it doesnt work for eCars sites yet but thats not your cars problem... once eCars and TomTom fix their end your car will just start showing it assuming you fix issue 1.

If you had the latest software it would be showing a date of 190222 (i.e. Feb 2019), not 170920.

Oh I see how it works. Thanks for that.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,887 ✭✭✭zg3409

The m50 during my commute. Emergency braking is standard on all UK/IRL ioniq.

The video above shows when cruise control is on. BE WARNED when the beeping happens the car expects the driver to take over and stop. The AEB may not stop you from hitting the car in front. It will NOT stop as hard as the driver can. See the user manual with the car. It may reduce crashes, but particularly at high speed it will not use full braking force.

• Moderators Posts: 12,386 ✭✭✭✭Black_Knight

Hi Guys,

Many thanks guus

Sorry if I mislead at some point.

Sorry if I mislead at some point.

Ah no not at all. You must have the tom tom on your sat nav then as yours works?

Ah no not at all. You must have the tom tom on your sat nav then as yours works?

No, mine does the same. UK charge points show their live status, Irish ones do not. Good auld e-cars and their glatial progression.

No, mine does the same. UK charge points show their live status, Irish ones do not. Good auld e-cars and their glatial progression.

Thanks. Are we surprised!!

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 8,061 Mod ✭✭✭✭liamog

I wouldn't blame eCars in this case. Plenty of providers receive live data, ZapMap can do it, their are a few apps (Bosch - Charge My EV) that can even do remote start.

• Advertisement

ELM327 wrote: »
    That car is about €3k overpriced
    The seller is a spoofer too "I have on many occasions achieved 300 Kms of range on one charge when driving in the town. Normal driving to work I am achieving an average of 250 Kms of range per charge which includes motorway driving"

Unless it's all downhill, he did neither.

Thanks for the vote of confidence. Thats my add you are referencing. My average consumption is 7kwh/100km. I always achieve 250km per charge and on occasion I have achieved over 300km. After I charge my GOM usually reads close to 270km. It doesnt take a genius to figure out that if one hammers it you wont achieve half of that range. I on the other hand do not hammer it. I drive to work every morning in traffic a distance of 44km each way @ Approx 70kmh. I do not take kindly to be called a spoofer either. I have the trip consumption screen photos to prove it but I dont need to justify anything to you.
    In relation to your suggestion of over pricing. I posted here suggestions of pricing the car as tesla were only offering me 17k for the car. Hyundai offered me a trade in of 21k for a trade in off the kona in April. I didnt know what price to put it up for as it is fairly unknown presently. So I put it up for 24k and had a few calls and an offer of 21 twice. I now have it priced according to feedback and offers. But hey Im a spooker after all according to you.

The reason for the windbreakers is not for aerodynamic purposes but to let the window down for some air when raining as it does rain in Ireland....alot!

I dont know what you mean about the sound system? Did I say it was an upgrade or something as it was whatever came with the car. I copied the info on the add from Hyundai Ireland spec sheet for this car.

• Registered Users Posts: 399 ✭✭Petetheroadie

I had my test drive this morning up north. All good (latest software version, all recall items addressed, had a good spin in sport mode, a good demo of the TACC etc.)

Deposit paid and will pay the balance this week and collect next weekend I'd say.

The dealer will valet and put it through a health check as you'd expect. They had replaced the front left tyre due to a puncture, but they'll replace the driver side front tyre too as the thread depth was a bit low. (This was their demo car that their service manager was also driving).

All in all, happy out and wanted to say a big thanks to everyone here for all the tips and advice ðŸ‘

I had my test drive this morning up north. All good (latest software version, all recall items addressed, had a good spin in sport mode, a good demo of the TACC etc.)

Deposit paid and will pay the balance this week and collect next weekend I'd say.

The dealer will valet and put it through a health check as you'd expect. They had replaced the front left tyre due to a puncture, but they'll replace the driver side front tyre too as the thread depth was a bit low. (This was their demo car that their service manager was also driving).

All in all, happy out and wanted to say a big thanks to everyone here for all the tips and advice ðŸ‘

Best of luck with it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,227 ✭✭✭Kramer

My average consumption is 7kwh/100km. I always achieve 250km per charge and on occasion I have achieved over 300km.

7kWh/100km - wow, that's impressive :eek:.

Would you not be averaging 400km per charge then though?, 28kWh battery consuming only 7kWh/100km?
    Wondering too why you are selling it with such efficiency?
    You won't do much better, range wise, with a 64kWh car - 400km range approx.

All other Ioniq drivers must be just very poor, inefficient drivers as they claim 160km to 230km range depending on temperature, weather, road type & driving style.

It's well known the Ioniq is one of the most efficient EVs out there & you are experiencing exactly that, averaging just 7kWh/100km.

Well wear with your new EV, whatever it turns out to be & keep us posted :).

• Advertisement

Kramer wrote: »
    7kWh/100km - wow, that's impressive :eek:.

Would you not be averaging 400km per charge then though?, 28kWh battery consuming only 7kWh/100km?
    Wondering too why you are selling it with such efficiency?
    You won't do much better, range wise, with a 64kWh car - 400km range approx.

All other Ioniq drivers must be just very poor, inefficient drivers as they claim 160km to 230km range depending on temperature, weather, road type & driving style.

It's well known the Ioniq is one of the most efficient EVs out there & you are experiencing exactly that, averaging just 7kWh/100km.

Well wear with your new EV, whatever it turns out to be & keep us posted :).

Hi,
    Not all my trips are 7kwh/100km. Usually only on work days due to the slower traffic. I normally in one week can get well over 250 per charge as the weekends I do ferry the kids around all over the place. Also depends on the weather. I wouldnt say all other ioniq drivers are inefficient. Every one has a different style of driving. I just dont hammer it and drive in eco mode all the time. Once and only once after a charge my GOM read 346km! Which is not real world range I know. Its based on my previous style of driving and on that occasion I was hyper-miling and doing it as a test! Im selling due to the fact that I want to be able to drive to my mothers house and back without stopping to charge. She lives 300km away (round trip). And in the winter that wont be feesable. I have been caught out with chargers along the route too many times.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,496 ✭✭✭irishgrover

I did something today I've never done before. I drive below the speed limit on a motorway between Galway and kilbeggan. Stayed at 115 indicated and could not get over the efficiency, (4.3 miles per kWh), which is a range of 190 km.... which is mad impressive....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,003 ✭✭✭iggy

Heading to enniscorthy tomorrow morning from Lucan and heading back in the afternoon.

Gonna try the maingau card at Gorey services on way down and see if works for me.
    Ive used the ionity there already but used the flat fee via PayPal.
    It's 140 km to my destination and I think its roughly 42km from ionity Gorey to my destination.

I think a ten minute stop on way down at ionity and maybe a 10 minute stop on way back using maingau card the best?
    We'll be stopping for a coffee anyway.
    Be interesting to see total cost Lucan to Enniscorthy return.

iggy wrote: »
    Heading to enniscorthy tomorrow morning from Lucan and heading back in the afternoon.

Gonna try the maingau card at Gorey services on way down and see if works for me.
    Ive used the ionity there already but used the flat fee via PayPal.
    It's 140 km to my destination and I think its roughly 42km from ionity Gorey to my destination.

I think a ten minute stop on way down at ionity and maybe a 10 minute stop on way back using maingau card the best?
    We'll be stopping for a coffee anyway.
    Be interesting to see total cost Lucan to Enniscorthy return.

Yes that would be interesting see if it works here. I have one myself but never used it here. So cheap in comparison to other vendors. I cant remember but it was something like 5cent per minute.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,227 ✭✭✭Kramer

I cant remember but it was something like 5cent per minute.

:confused:

Ionity is €0.40/kWh using the card or a flat €8 per session paying directly.
    ECars is free (for now)
    Think EasyGo is mainly free or €0.10/kWh at present too.

Works out at just over €0.50/min in the Ioniq at Ionity using the Maingau card - not sure where you got 5c/minute?

Kramer wrote: »
    :confused:

Ionity is €0.40/kWh using the card or a flat €8 per session paying directly.
    ECars is free (for now)
    Think EasyGo is mainly free or €0.10/kWh at present too.

Works out at just over €0.50/min in the Ioniq at Ionity using the Maingau card - not sure where you got 5c/minute?

Thanks for that. I never used it in ireland I was saying. The 5c per minute was in Germany.

Thanks for that. I never used it in ireland I was saying. The 5c per minute was in Germany.

No it's not. It's 35c/kWh in Germany.

You really have a thing for leading people down the wrong track with expectations of cost and range. :p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,887 ✭✭✭zg3409

iggy wrote: »

Gonna try the maingau card at Gorey services on way down

There is a meet up at Ionity Gorey today Sunday 12-2pm of EV owners. Expect the free esb charger to be busy (with leafs queueing) and ionity to at least have one or two in use. The chargers on the way to Gorey will probably be busy too with extra EVs on that route topping up to full before Gorey. Bray fast charger has been out of service for weeks except for AC

https://m.facebook.com/events/2076573199314020

You really have a thing for leading people down the wrong track with expectations of cost and range. :p

I was in germany for 4 weeks and it was 5c per minute.

Quick search on you tube. Here is a guy stating the same as I experienced. So stop being a smart ass and have some respect! This forum is for sharing ones knowledge and actual experiences. If you dont want to consume mine thats fine but no need for smart comments!

https://youtu.be/qph2SLgcx7w

• Advertisement

Mod Note:
    @Black Knight try to accept that some drivers are able to get much more range out of their EVs, and other people have different experiences
    @Doc el brown your reported figures for the Ioniq range are somewhat exceptional, 7kWh/100km gives the Ioniq 400km of range. That's such an outlier from other Ioniq owners that post here

Can both of you stick to discussing posts rather the posters, avoid making it personal!

liamog wrote: »
    Mod Note:
    @Black Knight try to accept that some drivers are able to get much more range out of their EVs, and other people have different experiences
    @Doc el brown your reported figures for the Ioniq range are somewhat exceptional, 7kWh/100km gives the Ioniq 400km of range. That's such an outlier from other Ioniq owners that post here

Can both of you stick to discussing posts rather the posters, avoid making it personal!

Point taken!
    However, I have not made anything personal. I share my experience and have done from EV day 1 on here and elsewhere. People like black knight ruin it for everyone.

Good news everyone, Hyundai seems to have guaranteed that the original Ioniq remains one of the least depreciating cars on the Irish market.

We bought our Ioniq because it was efficient, affordable, and had great charging speeds. We'll need to wait for the dealer conferences in October, but it looks like the new one will be less affordable and has terrible charging speeds. I thing Hyundai dealers are going to have trouble when the 2017 PCPs come to an end.

At least it's still efficent!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,122 ✭✭✭BigAl81

Stayed at 115 indicated and could not get over the efficiency, (4.3 miles per kWh), which is a range of 190 km.... which is mad impressive....

I did Dublin to Newry at 120kmph yesterday and got 16.5 kWh per 100kms. That would give a range of 170kms at that speed (on a nice warm day)

At 110kmph I usually get about 12.5 kWh per 100kms. That's a range of about 225kms (on a nice warm day)

Amazing that going just 10kmph faster yields 55kms less range.

Useful to know for those new / thinking about the car.

*On a cold wet windy winters day knock at least a quarter off those range figures unfortunately!!

Good news everyone, Hyundai seems to have guaranteed that the original Ioniq remains one of the least depreciating cars on the Irish market.

We bought our Ioniq because it was efficient, affordable, and had great charging speeds. We'll need to wait for the dealer conferences in October, but it looks like the new one will be less affordable and has terrible charging speeds. I thing Hyundai dealers are going to have trouble when the 2017 PCPs come to an end.

At least it's still efficent!

Its terrible news really (im know you were just joking... but). Another set of cars hitting the charge network with 55min charge times is good for nobody.

rapidgate will no longer be just a Leaf 40 thing. The new Ioniq is charging at 14kW at 70% SoC!

If the new Ioniq had maintained its charge speed it would have put it up to Nissan. All it does now is validate that Nissan did the right thing and these charge speeds are what is required for current battery tech. Its a massive disappointment.

Yeah it was a bit tongue in cheek, I have the same concern. Hyundai appear to have seen what Nissan did and took the wrong lead.

Looks like its only the Germans that see the need for charge fast or go home!

That remains to be seen too. Word is that entry level ID.3 is limited to 50kW too!

Hopefully that doesnt turn out to be the case. Roll on Frankfurt motor show.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,912 ✭✭✭Mike9832

Yeah it was a bit tongue in cheek, I have the same concern. Hyundai appear to have seen what Nissan did and took the wrong lead.

PSA you mean?

208e/eCorsa look to be the only affordable EVs with fast charging

100kW

0-80% 30 mins

An average of 76kW

Hope to see them at sub €30,000

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,822 ✭✭✭Old diesel

Presumably the Kia/Hyundai idea is for long distance work to be done with 64 kwh cars .

Those on lower mileage work can choose a 38/39 kwh car at a lower price if desired.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,141 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

Mike9832 wrote: »
    208e/eCorsa look to be the only affordable EVs with fast charging
    Except they aren't available yet.

The e-Niro and Kona are the only* remotely affordable fast charging (300+km/h) EVs currently available, and the e-Niro is only theoretically available, and these achieve this because they have large batteries. The other fast chargers also have large batteries (Tesla, Audi, Jaguar, Mercedes) but aren't affordable because those larger batteries are packaged in luxury cars.

As I understand it, larger batteries enables faster rate of charging as each cell is under less stress.

* Interestingly though, according to ev-database.org, the Leaf 62 charges are 390 km/h, although that must be largely theoretical due to lack of fast Chademo.

If you include upcoming cars, there is:

e-208 (440 km/h)
    Corsa-e (430 km/h)
    e-Soul (350 km/h)
    DS 3 Crossback E-Tense (420 km/h)
    Peugeot e-2008 SUV (410 km/h)

All of those have 50+kWh batteries.

I guess there's also the ID.3 MR and LR, which ev-database list as concepts rather than upcoming.

The odd one out as a large-battery-slow-charger is the Renault Zoe ZE50 R110 which has 55kWH but only charges at 230 km/h.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 65,741 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

All it does now is validate that Nissan did the right thing and these charge speeds are what is required for current battery tech. Its a massive disappointment.

I wouldn't go that far. Current battery tech can do 3C no problem. Tesla Model 3 LR and P can charge at 250kW (well over 3C), even the old model Ioniq (2016) can charge at nearly 3C max.

What's with the charger end of the cable here (in the "flung the cable in the boot" pic)? Doesn't look like mine at all.
    https://www.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/hyundai-ioniq-ev/22868326

Dropped a grand in price in a week. I'd suspect they're trading in/up and they're trying to beat the trade in price Kearys offered them. Could be a bargain had by someone.

I wouldn't go that far. Current battery tech can do 3C no problem. Tesla Model 3 LR and P can charge at 250kW (well over 3C), even the old model Ioniq (2016) can charge at nearly 3C max.

I know Li-ion can take higher charge rates but like everything in the li-ion world there are tradeoffs between that and longevity.

Sure a Leaf 24 from 2010 can take 2C for part of its cycle! Its hardly a boast!

Clearly high charge rates are not simple to achieve without trading off for something else and thats what Nissan and Hyundai appear to have done.

I know Li-ion can take higher charge rates but like everything in the li-ion world there are tradeoffs between that and longevity.

I'm not buying that. Plenty of Ioniqs are now nearly 3 years old, if 3C charging had any detrimental affect, some cars would be affected by now. And there are none that I know of.

As in a previous point I made about overclocking CPUs. What's the point in trying to get a 40 year life out of a car battery when the car will be scrapped after about 15 years?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,912 ✭✭✭Mike9832

I'm not buying that. Plenty of Ioniqs are now nearly 3 years old, if 3C charging had any detrimental affect, some cars would be affected by now. And there are none that I know of.

As in a previous point I made about overclocking CPUs. What's the point in trying to get a 40 year life out of a car battery when the car will be scrapped after about 15 years?

They probably getting the 38kWh pack cheaper than the 28kWh from LG

• Advertisement

You respect Bjorn, take a look at his recent vid on degradation.

It’s the warranty the manufacturers care about. Get the balance wrong and they’ve a costly mistake on their hands.

I’m not saying I have the answer but I haven’t seen a believable explanations why the new Ioniq active liquid cooled battery is charging at 14kW at 70% SoC. I’m all ears! What’s your theory?

It’s the warranty the manufacturers care about. Get the balance wrong and they’ve a costly mistake on their hands.

You have a point there, but the manufacturer only has a liability if the battery goes below 70% within 8 years. Not very likely to happen

I reckon Mike9832 is closer. The 38kWh pack from LG Chem is probably the only pack they can get and LG has protected their ass. Because they can as there is no competition. So they might as well. They don't care the Ioniq MY2020 with the 38kWh pack gets bad reviews...

I reckon Mike9832 is closer. The 38kWh pack from LG Chem is probably the only pack they can get and LG has protected their ass. Because they can as there is no competition. So they might as well. They don't care the Ioniq MY2020 with the 38kWh pack gets bad reviews...

Protected it from what?

Belt & braces? To make sure Hyundai / Kia don't come knocking if there is even one battery replacement under warranty.

Only explanation that makes any sense to me. Shortage of batteries means the few manufacturers can make what they want and almost charge for it what they want.

Tesla makes their own batteries and they have no problem releasing cars which can charge at 250kW and still stand over the warranty

Belt & braces? To make sure Hyundai / Kia don't come knocking if there is even one battery replacement under warranty.

Only explanation that makes any sense to me. Shortage of batteries means the few manufacturers can make what they want and almost charge for it what they want.

To steal your own words, I'm not buying that. Why would you need belts & braces if these 3C charge rates are "no problem" as you put it? This pack is barely doing 1C! :p

The idea that they let Hyundai go fast and loose with the 28kWh pack without a care in the world and then somehow decided to screw Hyundai over with the next pack just because they can, doesnt compute for me.

All these packs (or any li-ion cell you buy) are built with a specific spec and charge profile that you have to adhere to to stay within warranty.

Either Hyundai are adhering to that spec or they've a software bug or something but I cant believe that LG have just decided to hobble the pack unnecessarily. There is nothing in it for them if they do that if they hope to be leaders in the field going forward. Its just not a sane thing to do for a commercial business in an industry that is going to go through exponential growth in the years ahead.

Tesla makes their own batteries and they have no problem releasing cars which can charge at 250kW and still stand over the warranty

And hats off to them. They've been the leaders by a large margin since the start for charge rates. They have better cooling and they use a different form factor to most of the other manufactuers (cyclindrical cells). Whatever formula they've put together works. Why the others cant is unclear.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement