Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Hyundai Ioniq 28kWh

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 65,751 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

KCross wrote: »
    On a different note, does the Ioniq have a phone app to allow remote heating?

What else does the app do?

Do Hyundai have an owners website where the cars data gets logged like Nissan Carwings?

Very good questions and I'd like to know the answers too. I haven't come across anything about any of this yet (apart from the fact that both Android auto and Apple carplay are supported) but I'm getting the impression the Nissan stuff is far more sophisticated.

And another more pertinent question:

How can you ensure your Ioniq only charges at night rates? App on your phone, something in the car software, something on the charging hardware? I really wouldn't like having to physically plug it in at 11PM or midnight (and to remember having to do that)

My subjective experience (Leaf) is that max regen only gives a mild braking effect - very roughly max 25% of braking power - so anything more than mild pressure on the pedal will use the pads.

The regen on the Ioniq is far more aggressive, particularly when you set it to level 2 or 3 (see my review for what these levels mean in practice)

In level 3 you can drive the car all day only using the accelerator pedal, unless you have to emergency brake.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 8,061 Mod ✭✭✭✭liamog

unkel wrote: »
    Very good questions and I'd like to know the answers too. I haven't come across anything about any of this yet (apart from the fact that both Android auto and Apple carplay are supported) but I'm getting the impression the Nissan stuff is far more sophisticated.

And another more pertinent question:

How can you ensure your Ioniq only charges at night rates? App on your phone, something in the car software, something on the charging hardware? I really wouldn't like having to physically plug it in at 11PM or midnight (and to remember having to do that)

The app is only available in the US, so no luck there.
    You can set the charging times and night rate hours using the nav system. So you'll be fine on that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,295 ✭✭✭n97 mini

Leaf has a charge timer, more than likely the Ioniq has one too.

Cheers Liam, that's a relief.
    liamog wrote: »

I have an old Android phone that I only use for games and apps that are not available for my 950XL. Might change the local settings to US if that lets me install the app :)

Edit: here it is on the Play Store. The ratings aren't very good :p

Linky

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,138 ✭✭✭✭KCross

liamog wrote: »

Thats a bit of a bummer.

For such a modern car you'd think they would have an app.

Simple things that I use regularly in the Nissan app are to check if the car is plugged in when going to bed.... quick check of the app tells me if its plugged in.

Another one.... when charging (SCP or FCP) to be able to remotely check what % the car is at.

Obviously, being able to turn on the heating 15mins before I leave work.

All very useful features. I'm surprised Hyundai havent done that.

There are more things around trip recording etc that I occasionally use but could live without.

Leaf regen is 30 Kw max whether you use B or not, B is only really designed for long downhill descents where you can minimise use of the brake pedal a lot. In normal driving it serves little purpose.

When you press the brake , usually there is minimal friction brakes applied, if you need more braking than regen provides then friction brakes will make up the difference.

Anyway after 58,400 odd kms there is no notable wear on my pads or disks. certainly not even a hint of a lip on the disks.

I wonder how many Kw regen creates in the Ioniq ?

Another good question. I have no idea. I guess it's a similar percentage of max power output? Leaf has 80kW and 30kW max regen, so the Ioniq has 90kW and 33kW regen as a first guess?

Another good question. I have no idea. I guess it's a similar percentage of max power output? Leaf has 80kW and 30kW max regen, so the Ioniq has 90kW and 33kW regen as a first guess?

Probably more regen in the Ioniq by the sounds of it. Nissan are very conservative with both charging current and regen.

Over 50% battery charge and you will get less and less regen the higher the charge % and use the brakes more and more depending on how aggressively you slow down.

I hope someone creates a Leafspy for the Ioniq.

Have a loot somewhere it might show the power and regen.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,087 ✭✭✭isnottheword

B is only really designed for long downhill descents where you can minimise use of the brake pedal a lot. In normal driving it serves little purpose.
    By all means - someone come back and correct me. However, I switch to B when I anticipate the traffic or road conditions in front of me demanding that I slow down or stop. It duly slows down albeit that I might have to finish off the procedure with a gently tip on the brakes. The display also shows a level of regen - may not be much but I'm really considering being kind to the brake discs/pads rather than expecting any major upside from regen.

Am I mistaken or is this good practice?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,615 ✭✭✭grogi

By all means - someone come back and correct me. However, I switch to B when I anticipate the traffic or road conditions in front of me demanding that I slow down or stop. It duly slows down albeit that I might have to finish off the procedure with a gently tip on the brakes. The display also shows a level of regen - may not be much but I'm really considering being kind to the brake discs/pads rather than expecting any major upside from regen.

Am I mistaken or is this good practice?

A gentle push on the brakes would do exactly the same.

grogi wrote: »
    So there's no point in switching to B mode?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,784 ✭✭✭TBi

So there's no point in switching to B mode?

It's usually for going down steep gradients so you aren't continually braking.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,327 ✭✭✭highdef

It will do the same job in terms of making the car slow down however instead of energy going back into the battery, some will be wasted as heat due to the friction of the brake pads on the discs. I'd rather put that energy into the battery instead of wasting it through the pads, not to mention the extra wear on the pads and discs, no matter how minimal it is.

On the Leaf pressing the brake pedal (almost) always applies the friction brakes to a varying amount.

From Nissan's page about the system:

f4c5a6d267c482.jpg

• Advertisement

So HighDef/N97_mini : Should I continue on with the same practice I've been using (flicking over to B mode when I anticipate having to slow down)?

So HighDef/N97_mini : Should I continue on with the same practice I've been using (flicking over to B mode when I anticipate having to slow down)?

I do the same, or just leave it in B mode if I'm in stop-start traffic, i.e. city driving.

IMO either method is fine. I do the same as you if I can see the need to slow down well in advance. Its a quick easy flick of the dial to put it in B and back out again. Doing it with the brake gives the same end result but I'd rather rest my foot! :)

Its simply down to personal preference.

n97 mini wrote: »
    On the Leaf pressing the brake pedal (almost) always applies the friction brakes to a varying amount.

f4c5a6d267c482.jpg

Friction Brakes will be applied if you require more braking than regen can apply.

Only for those who desire the so called one pedal driving that B mode provides it otherwise serves little purpose as it's main function was to not have to keep pressing the brake pedal on long hilly descents and it works brilliantly for this.

I rarely use B and my pad and disk wear is unnoticeable.

For anyone driving in B to save energy or brake wear, you're wasting your time. What will make the most difference is allowing time for the car to come to a stop where possible without regen. Drive and coast as much as possible and then brake at the end, not always possible.

It makes no difference it's more of a preference. But anticipating the stop more and lifting off at a distance and finding neutral on the throttle and braking at the last moment.

When you look at the energy monitor you will know neutral when there is no regen or power on the motor power display. It's actually easier to get in Eco by the extra resistance in the throttle and if you use B you can get variable regen by lifting off or pressing the throttle again gently.

regen isn't efficient , so the idea is to use only the energy you need.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 548 ✭✭✭paulers06

Just picked up my Ioniq this evening and am loving to so far. Couple of questions for my fellow Ioniq owners

There aren't any POI charge points loaded. I gave the car a hot spot but still nothing. Am I missing something?

The LED daytime running lights aren't coming on. Is there a setting for this?

Nice one, well wear ! Another EV on the road ! :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,553 ✭✭✭Fiery mutant

paulers06 wrote: »
    Just picked up my Ioniq this evening and am loving to so far. Couple of questions for my fellow Ioniq owners

There aren't any POI charge points loaded. I gave the car a hot spot but still nothing. Am I missing something?

With the lights, mine come on anytime I turn the car on, so I'd say there must be a setting for it.

For the charge points, I think you need to upgrade the software on the nav. I haven't done it myself yet either, have in look in the nav manual, will probably say something in there.

We should defend our way of life to an extent that any attempt on it is crushed, so that any adversary will never make such an attempt in the future.

I still can't believe there is no App for the ioniq, absolutely ridiculous.

n97 mini wrote: »

f4c5a6d267c482.jpg

The chart (unclearly) shows that if you brake smoothly enough, around 40% of the maximum deceleration level shown in the chart, the friction brakes will deploy only at the very low speed.

This proves what I have said before - friction will only be used if necessary - when brake is pressed hard or when the car is almost stationary.

Driving or not in B is a matter of preference, how much regenerative braking you want to be applied by the car when you release the throttle pedal. It is like the car is slightly pressing the brake for you, so it feels like engine braking. This is especially important in BMW i3 - which is RWD. The dynamics of RWD are kept, you feel it especially during cornering when you release the accelerator - it behaves like a well revved RWD.

For this reason it is slightly more difficult to achieve the same efficiency when driving in B (or with high regen level) than without it - from time to time an unnecessary kinetic-electric-kinetic energy conversions will happen...

Leafspy will also show when the friction brakes are applied.

Anyway enough leafing of the Ioniq Thread.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,033 ✭✭✭who_ru

Car keys review of the Ioniq

who_ru wrote: »

https://youtu.be/8448mXi4_s0

Just post 8448mXi4_s0

Not the whole URL.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,354 ✭✭✭jprboy

who_ru wrote: »
    Just post 8448mXi4_s0

Not the whole URL.

Thanks.

He refers to it at least twice as being 38kW - is it not 28kW?

• Advertisement

Yeah, he was wrong. And it's not kW but kWh. And not the motor, but the battery. Would these chaps do a little bit more homework please? Half decent review but there are many others like that saying pretty much the same things about the car. Which is a good thing, I guess. There seems to be consensus out there.

Yeah, he was wrong. And it's not kW but kWh. And not the motor, but the battery. Would these chaps do a little bit more homework please? Half decent review but there are many others like that saying pretty much the same things about the car. Which is a good thing, I guess. There seems to be consensus out there.

You restore my hope in humanity...

jprboy wrote: »
    Thanks.

He refers to it at least twice as being 38kW - is it not 28kW?

No problem. ;)

Yeah , sure the sales people hardly know any of these things.

One thing that really bugs me is that Hyundai Ireland decided for us (thanks Hyundai Ireland) that we can't have the full spec Ioniq , ridiculous !

Yeah it should have been an option. But I don't think many people would have paid about €2k for leather, perforated and ventilated electric seats + front parking sensors. I certainly wouldn't have. The standard spec is way higher than on any other car in the price class (€25k). And then some. Many features wouldn't be standard or even optional extras on most cars costing €50k or even €75k. Like the active cruise control with lane assist. And wireless phone charging.

Yeah it should have been an option. But I don't think many people would have paid about €2k for leather, perforated and ventilated electric seats + front parking sensors. I certainly wouldn't have. The standard spec is way higher than on any other car in the price class (€25k). And then some. Many features wouldn't be standard or even optional extras on most cars costing €50k or even €75k. Like the active cruise control with lane assist. And wireless phone charging.

Yeah even if most people wouldn't pay for it , it should still be an option, shame on Hyundai Ireland, I mean would it hurt to have the choice ? what's it to Hyundai Ireland ?

I would say if you said you want the full spec they will import it, they'd be mad not to.

I really hate this crap of many dealers omitting options such as only having one choice of petrol and diesel, even if they would sell 2 a year, let the people decide for themselves what options they want.

That's one thing I really like about the German Brands, usually you get most of the available options.

It's the little things like this that would seriously turn me off Hyundai if they insisted I couldn't get all the options because "they" say I can't have them !

• Registered Users Posts: 603 ✭✭✭kave2

I would definitely paid 2k for those extras. It also includes blind spot monitoring and rear trafic control.

As far as I know Ionic is 29k with metallic paint not 25k.

And yes, most of the new models in this price would have those gadgets and safety features. It's 2017!

Have any of you new Ioniq owners gotten insurance? Guy over on one of the EV facebook groups getting horrendous quotes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 970 ✭✭✭oinkely

Price list from Hyundai Deansgrange lists it at €39324 with metallic paint an extra €650. sales guy said there was €10k off this in grants etc.

• Advertisement

kave2 wrote: »
    As far as I know Ionic is 29k with metallic paint not 25k.

Yes it is. I bought one (with metallic paint) last week ;)

IONIQ looks better and better all the time. Seen as I paid for pleather on the LEAF I would have no problem paying extra for the same on the next car. "Next" will be in 2020 so hopefully the importers will sort it out by then.

• Registered Users Posts: 945 ✭✭✭Jakey Rolling

Have contacted 4 further dealers in the Munster region and I am astounded by the lack of interest they have in selling the Ioniq EV. Out of the 4, only 1 has responded so far and they quoted E31.5k OTR price (metallic). No discount offered for cash rather than trade-in.

Would I be right in supposing that the dealers are not incentivised sufficiently to sell these, when margins and ongoing servicing revenue are better on the petrol and diesels?

100412.2526@compuserve.com

Just heard there's a delay with the February 20th arrival date of the shipment of Ioniqs into the country :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,033 ✭✭✭who_ru

Just heard there's a delay with the February 20th arrival date of the shipment of Ioniqs into the country :(

Donald has confiscated the ship until Hyandai pay a huge border tax for not making the cars in the USA.

Yeah , sure the sales people hardly know any of these things.

One thing that really bugs me is that Hyundai Ireland decided for us (thanks Hyundai Ireland) that we can't have the full spec Ioniq , ridiculous !

In two years time an ex-UK full leather/full spec model should be less than half the current price, especially if the higher range model is out by then.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,638 ✭✭✭zilog_jones

paulers06 wrote: »

I can't confirm for the Ioniq, but on some cars the DRLs will only turn on when you first put it in D after starting the car. Have you checked this?

I can't confirm for the Ioniq, but on some cars the DRLs will only turn on when you first put it in D after starting the car. Have you checked this?

Ok, so if you stick it in B and keep it there, they won't switch on??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,638 ✭✭✭zilog_jones

Actually I'm wrong - I was basing my assumption on my Prius, but after checking the manual it's actually when the parking brake is released that the DRLs will come on, and nothing to do with the transmission. I'm sure the Ioniq will say in the manual for what conditions the DRLs will turn on (I can't find the manual online).

The regen on the Ioniq is far more aggressive, particularly when you set it to level 2 or 3 (see my review for what these levels mean in practice)

In level 3 you can drive the car all day only using the accelerator pedal, unless you have to emergency brake.
    Leaf regen is 30 Kw max whether you use B or not, B is only really designed for long downhill descents where you can minimise use of the brake pedal a lot. In normal driving it serves little purpose.

Looking at the Fully Charged episode which reviews the Ioniq he showed the dash while he was doing some regen and it showed -55kW so it at least goes to that level.

That also explains why people say it is quite powerful. Thats twice what the Leaf does, so it must be almost like standing on the brakes.

KCross wrote: »
    it must be almost like standing on the brakes.

Not quite, but it brakes more aggressively than I would normally brake myself in traffic like in braking for an upcoming red traffic light

I guess at 55kW it would brake / decelerate at roughly two thirds of maximum acceleration (88kW) to give you another idea of how strong the regen level 3 braking is (that's assuming of course it doesn't use friction braking while doing regen - I should hope not! :D)

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement