Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Hyundai Ioniq 28kWh

Comments

• Moderators Posts: 12,385 ✭✭✭✭Black_Knight

adunis wrote: »
    I'll be the negative nelly then.....
    Here is the cons list
    The 12v battery is too small and will last two years
    The inside is meh black n plastics
    The end
    Well wear.

The interior isn't all that bad. A bit grey, but the finish on the materials isn't offensive, and in general it seems to be well laid out. I'd have to contrast that against other EVs on the market. The Kona is horrific inside (IMO). Makes the Ioniq seem luxurious by comparison.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,546 ✭✭✭denismc

Kramer wrote: »
    First thing I did! Headlights are far better now & match the dipped beams perfectly. They also consume less energy so I can eek out another 500m on a long dark journey :D.

I may even have an unused set of LEDs as I ordered two by mistake & never returned the second set. I shall check.

Also changed the reversing lamps to LED & the interior courtesy/reading lights too. All straightforward enough.

Well wear btw.
    Is this just a case of swapping out the bulbs or is there more to it?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 65,741 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

The 12v battery is too small

The battery is not too small. It is not being charged up enough and it is allowed to discharge too deeply. That's the problem. Software.

unkel wrote: »
    Not just the smart cruise control. Here was the car driving yesterday morning on full Coca Cola autopilot from Lucan all the way to the tolls (22km) with zero input from me :p

https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/attachment.php?attachmentid=494463&stc=1&d=1572912317

Would ye be better shortening the setting for distance between yourself and the car in front? I have mine on the minimum and on motorways I find I still have to change lane way before I would normally. If I don't regen kicks in to slow me down and I lose momentum/waste power.

Also, damn you and your 215km range! That's impressive given I assume you don't live/charge to 100% on a motorway slip road. Though 14.3kW/100km and 215km range don't really add up. Good job Hyundai!

Would ye be better shortening the setting for distance between yourself and the car in front?

Well spotted. I have it normally at 2 bars (I find 1 bar too aggressive - or rather my passengers do :p)

It seems to switch itself back to 4 bars sometimes. Either a small bug or someone accidentally hit the button. That trip was early on Sunday morning with no traffic around (hence no overtaking required by myself or by others wanting to overtake me - that's why I had coca cola mode on :p). I noticed it later in the trip and changed it back to 2 bars

damn you and your 215km range! That's impressive!

It's only come down from my average of 236km during the summer :)

You're right it is not consistent with my winter average of 14.3kWh/100km so far. I guess at that point I had the heated seat on but maybe I had switched off the air heat temporarily, can't remember. My summer range of 236km typically, was consistent with the average of about 11.8kWh on display over the 5 months or so before I reset it at about the start of October

• Registered Users Posts: 671 ✭✭✭adunis

Yeah ok ,the battery isn't to small,yes it's the software,but bigger wouldn't hurt.agree 100% its way better inside thank a Kona,too many germanic cars in my background......

Inside of Ioniq is nothing to write home about, to put it mildly. But I guess I'm coming from higher end BMW / Saab / Jaguar type cars. It ain't no drivers car either. But almost all other aspects of the car are excellent, given what it cost to buy new.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,236 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

Inside of Ioniq is nothing to write home about, to put it mildly. But I guess I'm coming from higher end BMW / Saab / Jaguar type cars. It ain't no drivers car either. But almost all other aspects of the car are excellent, given what it cost to buy new.
    It's a great interior for what it is, an ecobox
    Feels a bit better than the standard basic hyundai/kia etc

But it's not in the same league as premium cars. Of course

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 192 ✭✭Baoithin66

Hi just wondering did you go with the Ioniq. I am thinking of going electric and travel about 90kms a day.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,887 ✭✭✭zg3409

Baoithin66 wrote: »
    Hi just wondering did you go with the Ioniq. I am thinking of going electric and travel about 90kms a day.

I am not sure if this is directed at someone in particular, but 90km round trip, with home charging on night rate would probably save you 1500 per year compared to equivalent diesel and you would have 70km winter and 100km summer extra for trips to the shops in the evening. Main issue is travelling beyond vehicle range requires public charging and most fast chargers are busy, blocked or broken. Situation probably will not drastically improve before mid 2020. If you are 2 car household or can borrow a car for long trips then no issue. With only a 28kwh battery the Ioniq is quite small compare to 60kwh alternatives which could get you from city to city without hoping on a free fast charger. Its a great car for the price.

• Advertisement

zg3409 wrote: »
    Situation probably will not drastically improve before mid 2020

Situation has already significantly improved compared to this time last year. And I have no doubt it will drastically improve next week when the ESB fast chargers are no longer free.

Situation has already significantly improved compared to this time last year. And I have no doubt it will drastically improve next week when the ESB fast chargers are no longer free.

Ecars talk at engineers Ireland was at least somewhat inspiring to EV drivers. Definitely gave the impression that balls are in motion. Can't deny they've done a good job of late upgrading those useless 22kW AC chargers. Just need to start getting more than 1 DC charger per service station. Can't see why motorway services would say no. The profit on tea/coffee and pastry I buy when I stop is likely the same as the profit they make on petrol/diesel. Probably more!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 192 ✭✭Baoithin66

thanks for reply. We are a two car household with one only doing a daily return trip of 16kmh. Thinking of going for a leaf for my daily commute to maximise benefits and keeping the newer diesel for those longer trips and where we want that extra space.

• Registered Users Posts: 57 ✭✭Jenfer

Probably an obvious question, but would I be right in saying that there will be no more new 28kw ioniqs that the 38kw ioniq is all that will be available new going forward?

Thinking seriously of buying a second hand ioniq as we don’t have the need for the longer range apart from the very occasional journey Dublin-Cork once or twice a year.

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,406 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

Jenfer wrote: »
    Probably an obvious question, but would I be right in saying that there will be no more new 28kw ioniqs that the 38kw ioniq is all that will be available new going forward?

Thinking seriously of buying a second hand ioniq as we don’t have the need for the longer range apart from the very occasional journey Dublin-Cork once or twice a year.

Yeah I believe so, the 28 kwh ioniq is no more.

Mickeroo wrote: »
    Yeah I believe so, the 28 kwh ioniq is no more.

I best get my skates on a pick up one of the 28kwh so. I’ve been looking at them for ages, I think it will suit 95% of not more of the journeys we make.

Very doable. I just did a Cork->IKEA->Cork run the other week. The lack of accountability of chargers at stations, and the fact I had no destination charger (thanks a bunch IKEA:rolleyes:) meant I charged twice on the way up, once before I left, and twice on the way down.
    When multiple chargers at each station arrive you should probably be safe enough to make it with 1 stop (probably around urlingford). For me, Cashel is always a waypoint for me due to its multiple chargers, which means i'd just about make it to Dublin on my remaining charge (if I had a destination charger).

I best get my skates on a pick up one of the 28kwh so. I’ve been looking at them for ages, I think it will suit 95% of not more of the journeys we make.

Nice imported Premium SE in Kildare. Bit high on price, but the extra spec has to be worth a few quid, and the blue is a fine looking colour. There's very little value in getting a new 2019 ioniq 28 vs a year or 2 old one. I believe a heated steering wheel is the main trade up you get on a 2019 model, and the premium SE one I linked has that and more spec.

• Advertisement

slave1 wrote: »

Not with how sterling is today and the limited negotiating room of buying from a dealer over there vs buying here. GBP20k is already over EUR23k add several hundred to bring it in and get it on plates, plus your time and the hassle

Also, the car Black_Night linked to is from Phil Fitzgerald, highly respected in EV circles.

Personally I would buy privately though as all Ioniqs have at least 2 full years of full manufacturers warranty left

Although the cheapest one currently for sale is this, you might get it for €20.5k

Linky

If you don't mind white of course. These will always be a bit cheaper than the metallic colours

If I found a bargain Tesla Model S, you could buy mine :p

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 19,197 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

£19,950 at current OFX rates is £19,950/0.859=€23,225
    €400 to have it delivered to your door, €20 for plates.
    No travel required, guts of a grand and you can get it cheaper, £19,800 is what they quoted me yesterday.
    There’s your grand and with respect to Phil he can have my money but he’d have to match that

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 763 ✭✭✭Bif

Folks. Is there a possibility of Hyundai releasing a 64kwh Ioniq?

Bif wrote: »
    Folks. Is there a possibility of Hyundai releasing a 64kwh Ioniq?

Sure. Anything is possible.

The likelihood is null though.

Sure. Anything is possible.

The likelihood is null though.
    Thanks. Why?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,819 ✭✭✭Silent Running

Thanks. Why?

I think it would be pack size. It'll take a big shift in battery technology to allow a 64kWh pack to fit in the space available in the Ioniq.

• Advertisement
  • Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,406 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

Thanks. Why?

Because they haven't announced it. The 38kwh is only just becoming available now/early next year after being announced ages ago. It will be at least a couple of years before we see another variant I would think. Not to mention if the price of the new one is anything to go by a 64kwh version will cost 40 grand or so.

Mickeroo wrote: »
    Because they haven't announced it. The 38kwh is only just becoming available now/early next year after being announced ages ago. It will be at least a couple of years before we see another variant I would think. Not to mention if the price of the new one is anything to go by a 64kwh version will cost 40 grand or so.
    Are there not 38 and 64 kWh packs for Kona? Battery pack size issue makes sense re Ioniq. Would prefer Ioniq shape to Kona or Niro hence the question.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 8,061 Mod ✭✭✭✭liamog

Are there not 38 and 64 kWh packs for Kona? Battery pack size issue makes sense re Ioniq. Would prefer Ioniq shape to Kona or Niro hence the question.

They'd have to redesign the battery area. One of the reasons the pack voltage has dropped in the 38kWh Ioniq is they are using the same physical space but can't fit in as many cells due to the extra cooling requirements. This is effectively a mid cycle refresh. Probably be 2022 before the Ioniq receives a bigger redesign.

• Registered Users Posts: 86 ✭✭Efitz2019

Has anyone ever figured out a way to pre heat the car without being plugged in? At the moment I only need to charge every second or third night. Also what is the best tyre pressure to run? My apologies if these questions have been asked before.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,122 ✭✭✭BigAl81

liamog wrote:
    They'd have to redesign the battery area. One of the reasons the pack voltage has dropped in the 38kWh Ioniq is they are using the same physical space but can't fit in as many cells due to the extra cooling requirements. This is effectively a mid cycle refresh. Probably be 2022 before the Ioniq receives a bigger redesign.

Car must be plugged in to preheat unfortunately ;(

I believe 38 psi all round for the tyres but open to correction on that.

• Advertisement

BigAl81 wrote: »
    Car must be plugged in to preheat unfortunately ;(

I believe 38 psi all round for the tyres but open to correction on that.

Ok that's a pity was hoping someone might have found a way to fool the car into thinking its plugged in!

I have my front at 36 and the rear at 34. Set by dealer. I'll make them all 38. Cheers ðŸ‘

Thanks for all the recommendations on second hand ioniqs, I had a good trawl around online today. I’m thinking of getting something with not so much mileage on it. I do very little mileage so my 131 diesel has only 78,000 on it and a lot was on it before I even owned it. I probably only do about 8000km a year. Although, if I’m reading correctly on the forum the mileage on an electric isn’t as important as there is not an engine so less moving parts for wear and tear. From what I can gather here it’s all about the battery life more than mileage?

I was looking about a month ago at the two second hand ioniqs from the garage on the long mile road, the mileage is very low but they are pricey relative to buying a 191/192 (181-€29 odd thousand premium and the 171 €26,495). Money no object I would buy the 38kw one or a Niro or Kona with the bigger battery but I couldn’t justify that sort of money when the 28kw would serve the vast vast majority of our travel. Maybe the second hand ioniqs
    With around 68,000kms would serve us perfectly fine as we wouldn’t be putting too mileage on it year on year anyway.

I think buying privately due to the warranty is definitely a route I would be willing to take. I am also going to sell my Kia separately because they were offering me a very low trade in price. There are some cars on Done deal from a dealer in Antrim. Would it be worth importing from there? Is it no VRT once you run up 6,000 miles before registering or is that only on new cars?

Sorry for all the questions, I have read most of the threads on the forum for the past year, but said I would ask for clarification anyway. We are a one car household so I want to make the right choice.

Thanks for all the recommendations on second hand ioniqs, I had a good trawl around online today. I’m thinking of getting something with not so much mileage on it. I do very little mileage so my 131 diesel has only 78,000 on it and a lot was on it before I even owned it. I probably only do about 8000km a year. Although, if I’m reading correctly on the forum the mileage on an electric isn’t as important as there is not an engine so less moving parts for wear and tear. From what I can gather here it’s all about the battery life more than mileage?

I was looking about a month ago at the two second hand ioniqs from the garage on the long mile road, the mileage is very low but they are pricey relative to buying a 191/192 (181-€29 odd thousand premium and the 171 €26,495). Money no object I would buy the 38kw one or a Niro or Kona with the bigger battery but I couldn’t justify that sort of money when the 28kw would serve the vast vast majority of our travel.

I think buying privately due to the warranty is definitely a route I would be willing to take. I am also going to sell my Kia separately because they were offering me a very low trade in price. There are some cars on Done deal from a dealer in Antrim. Would it be worth importing from there? Is it no VRT once you run up 6,000 miles before registering or is that only on new cars?

Sorry for all the questions, I have read most of the threads on the forum for the past year, but said I would ask for clarification anyway. We are a one car household so I want to make the right choice.

I was in the same boat as yourself. I picked up a 191 for 26k from a dealer in Cork last Monday. Got 5k trade in allowance for my own car and added 21k cash. I do similar mileage to yourself. So couldn't justify spending close to 40k which would have meant getting finance. 95% of my driving is within the range of the car. I've being keeping an eye out for the last few months for the right deal. So eventually something will come up for ya. The main reason I picked the Ioniq over a Leaf 40 is because of ccs charging. Maybe with the new model out now the price of the old one will fall a bit in the new year.

I was looking about a month ago at the two second hand ioniqs from the garage on the long mile road, the mileage is very low but they are pricey relative to buying a 191/192 (181-€29 odd thousand premium and the 171 €26,495). .

Was that Mooney's? Their ioniq prices are laughable. Steer well clear, unless they've got 20% wiggle room. 171 Irish spec ioniqs should be about 22-23k.181 around 26k. Fitz above got an absolute bargain on his 191.

Was that Mooney's? Their ioniq prices are laughable. Steer well clear, unless they've got 20% wiggle room. 171 Irish spec ioniqs should be about 22-23k.181 around 26k. Fitz above got an absolute bargain on his 191.

Yes, even from having a look around online their prices seem over the odds. They were giving me a very poor trade in on my own car too, although I know low trade in offers are commonplace in dealerships, I will sell my own privately. Thanks for the replies. I know a lot of you have done a lot of research on the ioniq and are a good sounding board to figure out what to buy.

Efitz2019 wrote: »
    I was in the same boat as yourself. I picked up a 191 for 26k from a dealer in Cork last Monday. Got 5k trade in allowance for my own car and added 21k cash. I do similar mileage to yourself. So couldn't justify spending close to 40k which would have meant getting finance. 95% of my driving is within the range of the car. I've being keeping an eye out for the last few months for the right deal. So eventually something will come up for ya. The main reason I picked the Ioniq over a Leaf 40 is because of ccs charging. Maybe with the new model out now the price of the old one will fall a bit in the new year.

26k sounds like a great deal for a 191. Well wear! I have been toying with the idea of an electric for about a year now, went to look at the ioniq last month but was told the dealer conference was there before Halloween so wanted to see what kind of money the new ioniq was going to be but it’s way out of my price range. So just getting to having a realistic look now.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,122 ✭✭✭BigAl81

Efitz2019 wrote:
    I have my front at 36 and the rear at 34. Set by dealer. I'll make them all 38. Cheers ðŸ‘

Ops, checked my email there, my dealer told my 36 actually, not 38!!

It says 36 for each wheel on the door of mine. Dealer had mine up at 38/39 when I picked it up.

38 is good for range, but bad for comfort. I've mine set to 36. Warning comes on at 32

• Registered Users Posts: 603 ✭✭✭shanemkelly

Apologies if asked before; anyone know if the Navigation System in the Ioniq can take Eircodes? (I've tried unsuccessfully, but maybe there's a setting somewhere I need to change to enable.)

How are others searching for destinations/directions?
    I find using Google Maps on my phone to get the co-ordinates of my exact destination and then manually input into the Nav System the most reliable way - though it is a pain in the a$$.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,081 ✭✭✭fricatus

Apologies if asked before; anyone know if the Navigation System in the Ioniq can take Eircodes?

I think I tried once and the answer was no. Maybe in the latest version, who knows. UK postcodes work wonderfully well.

How are others searching for destinations/directions?
    I find using Google Maps on my phone to get the co-ordinates of my exact destination and then manually input into the Nav System the most reliable way - though it is a pain in the a$$.

That's what I do, or else just zoom the map to the location if I know where it is.

fricatus wrote: »

That's what I do, or else just zoom the map to the location if I know where it is.

I can't stand trying to navigate around the Hyundai Map. Is it just me, or is moving around the map horribly unintuitive?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,496 ✭✭✭irishgrover

I can't stand trying to navigate around the Hyundai Map. Is it just me, or is moving around the map horribly unintuitive?

Google maps or Waze is the only way I can navigate.... The in built satnav (like all OEM systems, is for me significantly worse

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,819 ✭✭✭Silent Running

Google maps or Waze is the only way I can navigate.... The in built satnav (like all OEM systems, is for me significantly worse

The problem with Waze or Google Maps is that they don't display "now and next" actions in the driver's display. I also find the slider counting down distance to the junction very handy.

I've only had a problem with the built in system in one car, and it turned out to be a software glitch that was fixed with an update. Otherwise, the standard system is usually fine.

The system can obviously handle the UK postcodes fine. I'm sure I read somewhere that there was supposed to be some kind of reformat of the information so that satnav systems could use it. It seems like this hasn't happened. Just one of the joys of the Eircode system. :mad:

This is where using google maps on apple carplay in the ioniq really showed its worth.

I'll have to record my map. What I experience can't be considered acceptable. Be good to get a comparison. Even every time I watch Bjorn's videos when he's using sat nav I think "mine is way worse".

Yes
    I just didnt use it in mine after the first week, it was already outdated anyway.
    Google maps via carplay is better

• Registered Users Posts: 671 ✭✭✭adunis

I have zero problems with my sat nav input destination and go....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,384 ✭✭✭baldshin

I've never used the in car navigation either, just use Google maps with Android Auto. It'd be handy though for Google to integrate charging points into maps for Carplay/Android Auto.

• Advertisement

I have zero problems with my sat nav input destination and go....
    The m11 wasnt on mine!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement