Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Hyundai Ioniq 28kWh

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,122 ✭✭✭BigAl81

Bif wrote:
    Against what?

The new Ioniq

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 763 ✭✭✭Bif

BigAl81 wrote: »
    The new Ioniq

Thanks.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 65,741 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

ELM327 wrote: »
    People should tell the dealer why they have no interest (the crappy charge curve speed)

I did. Told him I was happy with my Ioniq and that the new car would not be an upgrade to me as the rare time I do need a lot of range, the new model would charge a lot slower. The old model can charge at up to 70kW, the new one just 45kW and tapers much earlier too. 20 minutes for a fast charge is perfectly acceptable with the family on board. 60 minutes is not.

• Registered Users Posts: 219 ✭✭rgunning

paulers06 wrote: »
    My local dealer is offering 17k trade in on my 171. Not a great deal!

I was offered 17k as well by a dealer selling one for 23 k. I didn't even bother answering when he tried to ring back.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,227 ✭✭✭Kramer

unkel wrote: »
    Told him........new model would charge a lot slower.

Quick calculation says the new Ioniq wouldn't be any slower on a Limerick to Belfast trip (350km approx, charging at Ecars or Ionity) over the old Ioniq at Ionity (faster charging).
    Starting out at 100% SOC, stopping at 10% SOC & topping up the necessary kWhs needed to complete the journey.
    That's hypothetical/best case scenario with Ionity exactly where needed etc.

New Ioniq would also be quicker (& cheaper) for any 220km to 300km journeys as, starting out at 100% SOC (cheap night rate, home charging) wouldn't require any stops for costly public charging.

It's not great that they've dropped the charging speed but it's disingenuous to say it's a total downgrade on the old model. Better interior, leather seats, better screen, app support, more range, liquid cooled battery pack etc.

It's the price that has killed it - €48k pre grant/rebate is madness :eek:.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,227 ✭✭✭Kramer

Lots of hate for the new Ioniq here tonight :confused:.
    20 minutes for a fast charge is perfectly acceptable with the family on board. 60 minutes is not.

Again, best case scenario, the old Ioniq can take on board 21.5kWhs in 20 minutes at Ionity.
    The new Ioniq would take 32 minutes at slower, cheaper, more ubiquitous Ecars fast chargers.

Hardly a deal breaker on, as you yourself say, the rare occasions you travel beyond the range of your old Ioniq. Some are prepared to drive slower, use heat sparingly & hypermile when necessary with a shorter range EV & a few minutes extra at a fast charger now & then, on 250km+ journeys, shouldn't be a big deal.

But €38k OTR - nope, never, not gonna happen :D.

If the cost to change was say €6k-€7k I might consider it

But not for €20k, that's absurd :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 285 ✭✭this.lad

Have any of you had the 'Check electric vehicle system' warning light?

Mine came on today.

• Moderators Posts: 12,385 ✭✭✭✭Black_Knight

this.lad wrote: »
    Have any of you had the 'Check electric vehicle system' warning light?

Mine came on today.

Have you the auxiliary battery saver option enabled? (Listed under "other features" if I remember correctly)
    What age is the car? Many miles? Possibly a low 12v battery from what I read online (check its voltage with a multimeter if you can).

• Advertisement

Have you the auxiliary battery saver option enabled? (Listed under "other features" if I remember correctly)
    What age is the car? Many miles? Possibly a low 12v battery from what I read online (check its voltage with a multimeter if you can).

10k Kms, only have it since July, new. The batteries are surely better than 5 months!

The 12V battery is not the problem, even though it has quite a low capacity. The software has flaws in it, it doesn't check the 12V battery often enough, it doesn't top it up from the HV often enough or high enough and it lets it go down too low.

Read the last few pages of this thread for more info

Would normally wear a battery out prematurely, could even kill a battery within months, particularly if there is more strain on the battery like with cold weather. On a 5 month old car, I would demand the dealer to replace it for free. Not so much on a nearly 3 year old car like my own.

10k Kms, only have it since July, new. The batteries are surely better than 5 months!

And Have you the auxiliary battery saver option enabled?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,926 ✭✭✭Soarer

And Have you the auxiliary battery saver option enabled?

Surely that being enabled should be the default option?

Yeah the aux saver is on. It came on again today. I'll ring the dealer in the morning, get them to look at it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,553 ✭✭✭Fiery mutant

Don’t want to derail the thread, but has anyone gone for the 7kw home chargepoint. I just have the standard 3.3kw, and am thinking of upgrading, just wondering what some of the better options might be, and who might have experience of them.

We should defend our way of life to an extent that any attempt on it is crushed, so that any adversary will never make such an attempt in the future.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,645 ✭✭✭krissovo

Don’t want to derail the thread, but has anyone gone for the 7kw home chargepoint. I just have the standard 3.3kw, and am thinking of upgrading, just wondering what some of the better options might be, and who might have experience of them.

Some chargers can be upgraded with a small update of a flick of a micro switch, it would be worth it to check yours.

There are a lot debates on which charger, if you are a simple user and just want 7kw then anything reliable will do. I use a wallbox, its small and very easy to use and setup with the app.

There's a home charger thread. You'll get some great help there. I went simple and low tech myself (no shower, no PV) and got a rolec wallpod. Nothing fancy, but the price was right

• Registered Users Posts: 399 ✭✭Petetheroadie

Strange one. I got a Zappi V2 installed on Fri. Installed it fine, plugged it into the car and everything worked well.

Wanted to test the timed charging on the car, so set departure time to 8am, with 22°c climate.

Checked the car this morning and it didn't charge. Tried turning off the timed charge and climate settings and set it to charge immediately.

Car won't charge now??

Confused...

Anyone ran into this before? Any advice?

It's not clear how I can reset the timed charge settings...

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,406 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

Strange one. I got a Zappi V2 installed on Fri. Installed it fine, plugged it into the car and everything worked well.

Wanted to test the timed charging on the car, so set departure time to 8am, with 22°c climate.

Checked the car this morning and it didn't charge. Tried turning off the timed charge and climate settings and set it to charge immediately.

Car won't charge now??

Confused...

Anyone ran into this before? Any advice?

It's not clear how I can reset the timed charge settings...

What mode is the Zappi set to? Eco, Eco+ or the other one? Can't remember the name.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,819 ✭✭✭Silent Running

Mickeroo wrote: »
    What mode is the Zappi set to? Eco, Eco+ or the other one? Can't remember the name.

Fast.

• Advertisement

Yep, Zappi is set to fast.

Just took a spin down to the local ESB slow charger and plugged in there. It's not charging here either :-(

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,406 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

Just took a spin down to the local ESB slow charger and plugged in there. It's not charging here either :-(

Ok Zappi on fast is what you want alright.

Do you have night rate hours set on the car and is the "only charge during these hours" box checked? Is the car set to "Charge Now" in the scheduling menu?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,819 ✭✭✭Silent Running

What about the button down by the right of the steering wheel? I can't remember what it says on the button, but it temporarily cancels all timer settings and allows the car to charge.

Ok Zappi on fast is what you want alright.

Do you have night rate hours set on the car and is the "only charge during these hours" box checked? Is the car set to "Charge Now" in the scheduling menu?

I have unchecked the tickbox on the charging and climate settings after ensuring that the off peak hours are deactivated for both weekday and weekend.

What about the button down by the right of the steering wheel? I can't remember what it says on the button, but it temporarily cancels all timer settings and allows the car to charge.

Yep, I pressed that with the car plugged in and it's not doing anything.

Yep, I pressed that with the car plugged in and it's not doing anything.

Added pic

I have both the ABB one that came from ESB and the zappi v1.

I changed the original to 32A so the cars have a shorter charge time.

Added pic

That happened our 172 back in march. It was with the main dealer for 2 weeks :-\ before it was sorted.

They weren't terribly clear on what the actual issue was.

That happened our 172 back in march. It was with the main dealer for 2 weeks :-\ before it was sorted.

They weren't terribly clear on what the actual issue was.

Crap. Ok.

Crap. Ok.

Was it covered under warranty or did they charge you?

• Advertisement

Was it covered under warranty or did they charge you?

Warranty. Got a car from them too but i really noticed that I was buying petrol!

First they didn't know what it was. Then they did. Then it was ready, then it wasn't. Possibly more the garage than hyundai.

Anyway, all okay with that one now. Have the warning on in Ioniq no 2 now so will being it back to where i bought it.

Warranty. Got a car from them too but i really noticed that I was buying petrol!

First they didn't know what it was. Then they did. Then it was ready, then it wasn't. Possibly more the garage than hyundai.

Anyway, all okay with that one now. Have the warning on in Ioniq no 2 now so will being it back to where i bought it.

Sounds like fun, not :-(

I posted on the UK Ioniq forum and someone there asked if the cable was locking in (it wasn't) and suggested pulling the emergency release in the boot. Tried that, plugged the charger again and heard the clunk as the cable locked in and the car is now charging!

So so you have 2 Ioniqs or did the 2nd one replace the first one?

I posted on the UK Ioniq forum and someone there asked if the cable was locking in (it wasn't) and suggested pulling the emergency release in the boot. Tried that, plugged the charger again and heard the clunk as the cable locked in and the car is now charging!

What year is you car? There was a recall for a fix on the actuator in the charge port last year if I recall correctly.

What year is you car? There was a recall for a fix on the actuator in the charge port last year if I recall correctly.

It's 191

50. Petetheroadie - Ioniq BEV - Pearl Iron Grey - 191MH

Edit: Pete beat me

That rules that out then.

That rules that out then.

Not necessarily, it could still be a faulty actuator. Will see what the dealer says.

Not necessarily, it could still be a faulty actuator. Will see what the dealer says.

Yeah of course, I just mean the recall wouldn't apply to the car. Still should be replaced under warranty if that's the problem I'm sure.

2 on the go

• Advertisement

The ABL charger that was free?

I have that one too, I upgraded it to 7.2kW myself 2.5 years ago and it has worked flawlessly since.

You can only do this though if the cable used for your install is at least 6mm2, and that is not what the installer at the time installed for you, so an electrician has to replace the cable and also replace the RCBO in your consumer unit. I would expect that to cost a standard call out charge + about €60 in materials. Upgrading the charger is fairly easy DIY, you buy a €5 connector, to connect it to your laptop and you then change a couple of lines of code. We have threads about it here.

Of course if you just replace the one you have with a new 7.2kW charger, the above work of replacing the cable and RCBO will have to be done too!

• Registered Users Posts: 86 ✭✭Efitz2019

Have the car three weeks today. Great car. Have done a mixture of driving including a 350km journey. Had a 2017 Vw golf highline 1.4tsi before getting the Ioniq. The only things I miss from the golf are the seats they were full leather sports style seats. The other is a rear view wiper. With all this bad weather it would have come in handy . Anyone on here come up with a solution to keeping it some what clear. I might pick up a bottle of rain x from Halfords and see if that helps. Any ideas would be greatly appreciated.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,512 ✭✭✭OffalyMedic

New to night rate electricity and wondering what's the best option to use, set times on car (ioniq) or on the Zappi? If Zappi can you use timer on fast mode or only boost mode?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,512 ✭✭✭OffalyMedic

New to night rate electricity and wondering what's the best option to use, set times on car (ioniq) or on the Zappi? If Zappi can you use timer on fast mode or only boost mode?

If you want to preheat the car, you will need to set up the timer for that in the car. So you might as well set charging times on car too.

If you want to preheat the car, you will need to set up the timer for that in the car. So you might as well set charging times on car too.

Yeah, I decided to just use the car's charging scheduling and heater for handiness.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,887 ✭✭✭zg3409

If you have the myenergi hub linked to the Zappi, and use the Zappi as a timer then you can start and stop charging from anywhere in the world.

Its a bit messy to set up, and there are not many use cases where this is beneficial, but you can check on the app the car is charging, and give it a boost from inside the house if for example you plan on an evening trip and you would like to fill up the battery on non night rate energy. You can also set different times for every day of the week, for example I tend to not fill to 100% Friday night, and not charge at all on Saturday nights, as I prefer battery not kept at 100% for long periods so I have a very short time set for Friday night.

You use the boost timer on the Zappi and use eco++ mode so it does not charge car until overnight. I tested mine set to say 8pm on a Saturday night to make sure it worked OK before I trusted it would work for my daily commute. No fun walking out to car with low battery.

I also set an alarm on my phone for 9pm daily to remind me to check car plugged in, as I often forget if I pop out to the shops in the evening. I have forgot to plug in 4 times in 12 months. The Nissan leaf app can be set to warn the driver its not plugged in at home as far as I know

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,184 ✭✭✭k123456

Not a showstopper, but curious ;

When I press the recirculate button on the Ioniq heating system, it will routinely switch itself off

Any ideas why this would happen

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,887 ✭✭✭zg3409

k123456 wrote: »
    Not a showstopper, but curious ;

When I press the recirculate button on the Ioniq heating system, it will routinely switch itself off

Any ideas why this would happen

It is to ensure fresh air enters the car and to reduce the windows fogging up. The rear window heater also turns off after a while to save energy

• Registered Users Posts: 245 ✭✭Fiesta

I have an Ioniq coming in January...

I am buying a new phone, and now's the time to change the phone for one with wireless charging.

I am considering a Xiaomi Mi 9, https://www.honorbuy.com/1636-xiaomi-mi-9-6gb-128gb-official-global-version-smartphone-black.html

It's 75mm wide, will it fit in the charging tray?

Fiesta wrote: »
    I have an Ioniq coming in January...

I am buying a new phone, and now's the time to change the phone for one with wireless charging.

I am considering a Xiaomi Mi 9, https://www.honorbuy.com/1636-xiaomi-mi-9-6gb-128gb-official-global-version-smartphone-black.html

It's 75mm wide, will it fit in the charging tray?

Have the same phone and it fits perfectly.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement