Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Hyundai Ioniq 28kWh

Comments

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,406 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

turnfan wrote: »
    I got charged 95 euro for my first service from a main dealer last week. Car was bought as an NI import though.
    Also mileage was at 14k miles so about 22k km
    He also said Maps cost extra, although I saw in the manual later I should get free updates for life. Is that for UK only?
    They also charged me an extra 30 to rotate the tyres.
    At the end I just wanted my car back with some painkillers.
    :(

I asked for software update and maps too, they said it was free but then lied and said there was none available (miraculous they could tell this before having even seen what version is even on the car in the first place). I told them my maps don't even have the tuam to galway motorway they're that old, they said "oh yeah they haven't brought that out yet' :rolleyes:

I know I should have put the foot down but I could not be arsed pulling teeth. Like yourself I just wanted in and out of there as quick as possible.

• Registered Users Posts: 220 ✭✭turnfan

Mickeroo wrote: »
    I asked for software update and maps too, they said it was free but then lied and said there was none available (miraculous they could tell this before having even seen what version is even on the car in the first place). I told them my maps don't even have the tuam to galway motorway they're that old, they said "oh yeah they haven't brought that out yet' :rolleyes:

I know I should have put the foot down but I could not be arsed pulling teeth. Like yourself I just wanted in and out of there as quick as possible.

Tuam to galway motorway - I literally said the exact same thing, did you get yours serviced in Connaught?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,819 ✭✭✭Silent Running

Mickeroo wrote: »

Why don't you guys just download the latest maps, put them on an SD card and put it in the slot? Unlike the software update, there is no installation with the maps. They're just read by the nav unit when the info is required.

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,406 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

Tuam to galway motorway - I literally said the exact same thing, did you get yours serviced in Connaught?

Yeah, Castlebar.
    Why don't you guys just download the latest maps, put them on an SD card and put it in the slot? Unlike the software update, there is no installation with the maps. They're just read by the nav unit when the info is required.

I actually have, which makes it all the more annoying that they lied to me :D

TheTorment wrote: »
    Jesus, thats not good enough in my book. Who's the insurance crowd?
    I know what Id be doing with my business next year....

Most garages will be closed for the next two weeks. The insurance company don't have much hand in that to be fair.

• Registered Users Posts: 220 ✭✭turnfan

Thanks, I'll have to look into how to do that.

They also charged me an extra 30 to rotate the tyres.
    :(

Seems steep.... For comparison.
    Sorento oil and filter 20k service from Kia main dealer was 200.

The 40k one was 226, the extra tasks being an air filter supply & fit and tyre rotation.

Thanks, I'll have to look into how to do that.

Have a search through this thread, there's a direct link to the maps somewhere.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,122 ✭✭✭BigAl81

Latest efficacy update.

On a 60km stretch of the M1 motorway yesterday going 120kmph I got 19.0kWh/100km average consumption over the 60kms when it was 5 degrees outside.

At that speed and temperature it would give a range of 147k from 100% full to completely empty, so a usable winter motorway range of about 130kms.

*I find driving at 110kmph much more efficient.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,081 ✭✭✭fricatus

BigAl81 wrote: »
    ...going 120kmph

Speedometer or GPS?

Me too - big difference!

• Registered Users Posts: 548 ✭✭✭paulers06

Latest efficacy update.

On a 60km stretch of the M1 motorway yesterday going 120kmph I got 19.0kWh/100km average consumption over the 60kms when it was 5 degrees outside.

At that speed and temperature it would give a range of 147k from 100% full to completely empty, so a usable winter motorway range of about 130kms.

This is why we decided not to pull the trigger and trade for the new ioniq. I'm not confident that we could make Dublin to Limerick @ 120km/h on a cold day. Particularly since the stretch from Limerick to Portlaoise is so hilly.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,912 ✭✭✭Mike9832

paulers06 wrote: »
    This is why we decided not to pull the trigger and trade for the new ioniq. I'm not confident that we could make Dublin to Limerick @ 120km/h on a cold day. Particularly since the stretch from Limerick to Portlaoise is so hilly.

Probably not, its over 200km and Ioniq only has 38kWh battery, 20kWh/100km is the norm consumption @ 120 in winter and then it will take a day to charge on return journey

The Zoe range calculator they have on the renault site was even a wake up call to me and I read up a bit on EV's

Large 52kWh battery and 183km @ 120 in winter with no heat, a 250km journey to Dublin Airport for me would require a humongous battery

Zoe-range.png

203km @ 120, summer, no a/c on

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 65,741 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

Latest efficacy update.

At that speed and temperature it would give a range of 147k from 100% full to completely empty

A one way trip is not a good measurement of consumption / efficiency. Think wind / elevation, etc. Had you done the same leg back immediately after, it would have been a far more accurate prediction of consumption in given outside temp.

As an example, when I just had my car, I tested the max speed on a straight several km long stretch of motorway on a quiet evening at about 12C iirc. A few minutes later I did exact same test in the other direction. I was proven right that the stretch was completely flat and there was about zero wind as both speeds were identical (167km/h GPS speed)

Interestingly, and a bit surprisingly, is that I've seen several owners report from warmer weather that they clocked their cars at about 172-173km/h GPS in similar tests at over 20C. One would have thought that the speed limiter would be set at a fixed speed, but maybe it's at a fixed percentage of maximum power given a certain minimum speed.

fricatus wrote:
    Speedometer or GPS?

Spedo.
    unkel wrote:
    A one way trip is not a good measurement of consumption / efficiency.

True, but a 60km stretch of motorway gives people a good idea. I've gotten worse efficiency on the return trip before at slower speeds when the weather was even worse!!

Nearly 42k km done, front tyres not yet near the legal limit by a quick look, but the wheel spin is getting comical this wet season. With my driving style it's amazing I got so far, these tyres owe me nothing.

So, new Continental AllSeasonContact ordered from Eiretyres for EUR81.90 each, with free shipping

Thanks again, liamog for doing the research, saves me a chunk of time :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 399 ✭✭Petetheroadie

unkel wrote: »
    Nearly 42k km done, front tyres not yet near the legal limit by a quick look, but the wheel spin is getting comical this wet season. With my driving style it's amazing I got so far, these tyres owe me nothing.

So, new Continental AllSeasonContact ordered from Eiretyres for EUR81.90 each, with free shipping

Thanks again, liamog for doing the research, saves me a chunk of time :)

I presume you ordered 4, and not just the front 2?

No, just 2. Rears still have lots and lots of thread left. Why would I replace those?

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 8,061 Mod ✭✭✭✭liamog

I bought the 4 after 40k, hit 60k and just rotated them, according to the tyre guy he reckoned the rears looked brand new and the fronts are about 40% worn. If they continue to wear in the same way we should be good till at least 100k

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,553 ✭✭✭Fiery mutant

Should be. Only replaced my rear tyres after about 90k, on my 3rd set of fronts.

We should defend our way of life to an extent that any attempt on it is crushed, so that any adversary will never make such an attempt in the future.

• Registered Users Posts: 86 ✭✭Efitz2019

Here's details of my trip yesterday. A fairly painless experience. Drove from just outside Waterford City to Raheny Dublin and back. Left with car at 98% 205km showing on the gom. Didn't bother plug in and pre heat car. Car was carrying 2 adults and 2 kids and a boot full of stuff. Heating set to 20° and used all the way up and down. Cruise control set to 110km on the motorway sections. Stopped twice both times at kilcullen. Charger empty both times so no waiting around. Total cost €11.28 plus say around €2 or so home charging cost. Total distance 370km

• Advertisement

14.6kWh/100km on a motorway trip in winter with a fully loaded car? That smells a bit of almost LeafSpeed to me :pac:

Edit - I see you set the cruise to 110km/h :D

• Registered Users Posts: 86 ✭✭Efitz2019

14.6kWh/100km on a motorway trip in winter with a fully loaded car? That smells a bit of almost LeafSpeed to me :pac:

Edit - I see you set the cruise to 110km/h :D

To be fair on the nass road and m50 I was doing 100km sometimes less due to traffic. Some day I'm going to try do it without stopping. I think I could have done it without stopping but yesterday wasn't the day to test that theory!

Efitz2019 wrote: »
    Some day I'm going to try do it without stopping. I think I could have done it without stopping but yesterday wasn't the day to test that theory!

In summer for sure, but not in winter in bad weather!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 666 ✭✭✭Fishy1

If anyone is interested, Aldi has these anti- theft key fob wallets on sale from today. They’re €6.99 for a pack of 2 & they work! I put my key fob in the wallet & stood beside the car - no “click” of the locks.
    Here’s the link : https://www.aldi.ie/anti-theft-key-fob-wallet-2-pack/p/020753315488600

• Registered Users Posts: 399 ✭✭Petetheroadie

No, just 2. Rears still have lots and lots of thread left. Why would I replace those?

Just read that it was a bad idea to mix summer and all season tyres as it can mess with the car's stability

https://www.protyre.co.uk/news/december-2018/what-happens-when-you-mix-winter-summer-tyres

• Moderators Posts: 12,385 ✭✭✭✭Black_Knight

Happy new year all!

Have to thank everyone here and on the EV forum in general for all their help and knowledge over the last year. Gave me confidence to buy my first electric car back in April, thought me all the lingo, helped me find the right charger for my house, and lots more imparted knowledge. Loving it ever since and can't ever see myself going back to ice.
    Always eyeing up the next step (ioniq might be a squeeze as our primary car in a growing family), but I'm really struggling with the man maths to be able to afford a M3. Donations welcome.

Thanks again. Here's hoping for some great strides in chargers and EV affordability (not just hatchbacks) in 2020!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,318 ✭✭✭✭AMKC
    Ms

So the brother wants to change his car from a diesel to a hybrid. He really likes the new corrola but could not afford to buy one. I suggested the Ioniq and think he would really like it. He is going to try one in the new year sometime. His budget is 17k. Do you think it would be possible to get a good, well looked after one for that price?

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,262 ✭✭✭jusmeig

AMKC wrote: »
    So the brother wants to change his car from a diesel to a hybrid. He really likes the new corrola but could not afford to buy one. I suggested the Ioniq and think he would really like it. He is going to try one in the new year sometime. His budget is 17k. Do you think it would be possible to get a good, well looked after one for that price?

Unlikely u will get one for 17k, looking at Carzone, nope.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,111 ✭✭✭✭listermint

AMKC wrote: »

He's going to need about 20k

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,926 ✭✭✭Soarer

Anyone have any experience of the PHEV?

I assume they’re fairly reliable?
    What sort of electric range are people getting? I know that’s “how long is a piece of string”, but in non-motorway, mostly between 50-80km/h.

• Advertisement

Soarer wrote: »
    Anyone have any experience of the PHEV?

I assume they’re fairly reliable?
    What sort of electric range are people getting? I know that’s “how long is a piece of string”, but in non-motorway, mostly between 50-80km/h.

Are they still available new?

Thought they were discontinued?

How much new/used?

Don’t know if they’ve been discontinued.
    Not looking new anyways.

Just wondering if they’re as efficient as the BEV as regards EV driving, and subsequently fairly fuel efficient when on longer journeys as a normal hybrid.

Soarer wrote: »
    Don’t know if they’ve been discontinued.
    Not looking new anyways.

Just wondering if they’re as efficient as the BEV as regards EV driving, and subsequently fairly fuel efficient when on longer journeys as a normal hybrid.

Seem to be as efficent as BEV

Got 7kWh useable, 40-50km

Only things is it's a dog in EV mode, doesn't have 118bhp motor like the BEV, has only 59bhp in Phev, wouldn't like to driving with 59bhp for most of my driving in a car that weight

Mike9832 wrote: »
    Only things is it's a dog in EV mode, doesn't have 118bhp motor like the BEV, has only 59bhp in Phev, wouldn't like to driving with 59bhp for most of my driving in a car that weight

That's the problem with nearly all PHEV. The main reason I have no interest in them at all. That and the fact it's the worst of both worlds. Have to have a BEV and an ICE drivetrain on board. Just for compliance...

Latest efficiency update.

100kms at 126kmph indicated speed with a bit of rain on the M4 and weather at 10 degrees C, gave me an efficiency of 20.5 kWh/100km.

So at that speed and weather the car would get me 136kms down the road from 100% full to completely empty so a useful trip range of just about 120kms!

That's the problem with nearly all PHEV. The main reason I have no interest in them at all. That and the fact it's the worst of both worlds. Have to have a BEV and an ICE drivetrain on board. Just for compliance...

It’s the best of both worlds if you need both worlds.

If BEV suits, obviously it’s the way to go.
    But if you do 20km per day Monday to Friday, and longer journeys at weekends, what would you suggest?

Exactly all flawed with that huge problem

Outlander is probably the best PHEV and it's also a dog in EV mode

15 secs to 100km/h

The likes of high powered BMW 530e, Mercedes C350e all the same, take a day to accelerate in EV mode compared to BEV

The only proper PHEV is the BMW i3 Rex, the Ampera is not bad either

i3 Rex is class, god knows why BMW didn't put that 33kWh battery and an a bigger Rex engine into the 3 series, would prefer that to a Tesla

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,384 ✭✭✭baldshin

Insurance have come back to me today, car is as suspected, a write off. Offering €22500 for a 172 white BEV with 19k on the clock. I reckon I should be able to appeal that valuation, looking for closer to 24k?

Latest efficiency update.

100kms at 126kmph indicated speed with a bit of rain on the M4 and weather at 10 degrees C, gave me an efficiency of 20.5 kWh/100km.

So at that speed and weather the car would get me 136kms down the road from 100% full to completely empty so a useful trip range of just about 120kms!

That's decent

Only a Tesla Model 3 could do 126km/h indicated and do 20kWh/100km

A Leaf and all the others would be at 25kWh/100km if going that speed

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 19,197 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

baldshin wrote: »
    Insurance have come back to me today, car is as suspected, a write off. Offering €22500 for a 172 white BEV with 19k on the clock. I reckon I should be able to appeal that valuation, looking for closer to 24k?

As a guide, there's a 172 with 39k on the clock on Donedeal for asking €20,750 private sale but full warranty attached....

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 19,197 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

Did you get to salvage anything from the car, cables etc?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,136 ✭✭✭✭KCross

Exactly all flawed with that huge problem

Outlander is probably the best PHEV and it's also a dog in EV mode

15 secs to 100km/h

Its not really a problem at all. If you want the power you let the engine kick in. Whats the issue with that?

Anyone that is feathering the throttle to stay in EV mode and taking 15secs to get to 100km/h is making a conscious decision to do that. If you drive the car like you always drive the engine will kick in and you will have the full power available.

Its a non-issue as far as Im concerned.

KCross wrote: »
    Its not really a problem at all. If you want the power you let the engine kick in. Whats the issue with that?

Anyone that is feathering the throttle to stay in EV mode and taking 15secs to get to 100km/h is making a conscious decision to do that. If you drive the car like you always drive the engine will kick in and you will have the full power available.

Its a non-issue as far as Im concerned.

Ahh KCross

Having to drink petrol to not drive like a granny is no fun

Either is driving around with 60bhp on tap in that EV mode

If your like Unkel who is used to racing from traffic light to traffic light against BMWs for 2c a km, going to that PHEV would be an awful experience

That noisy little engine kicking in everytime you want to move quickly

Ahh KCross

Having to drink petrol to not drive like a granny is no fun

Either is driving around with 60bhp on tap in that EV mode

If your like Unkel who is used to racing from traffic light to traffic light against BMWs for 2c a km, going to that PHEV would be an awful experience

That noisy little engine kicking in everytime you want to move quickly

:)

Different PHEV's marry the motor and the engine in different ways (gears/clutches etc). You have to drive it to really see what each one is like. And when you are in EV mode it will still auto fire up the engine if you ask for the power, its not like you have to start pressing buttons to engage the engine.

I've no idea what the Ioniq PHEV is like to drive though.

But quoting the motor HP and saying its a dog is pointless/misleading as you dont drive it like that. People dont quote the motor HP of a standard hybrid! ;)

KCross wrote: »
    :)

Different PHEV's marry the motor and the engine in different ways (gears/clutches etc). You have to drive it to really see what each one is like. And when you are in EV mode it will still auto fire up the engine if you ask for the power, its not like you have to start pressing buttons to engage the engine.

I've no idea what the Ioniq PHEV is like to drive though.

But quoting the motor HP and saying its a dog is pointless/misleading as you dont drive it like that. People dont quote the motor HP of a standard hybrid! ;)

I know

The whole idea is to stay in EV mode all the time, not be switching between them

People that buy them don't want to spend a cent on petrol, having to use engine to go fast or heat up car is crazy imo

If I bought a PHEV like that, i'd be arguing with the wife to not drive fast and spare the petrol :pac:

Jump to 1.00 and watch that Ioniq crawl to 130km/h

Bus Eireann be passing you out

• Advertisement

The whole idea is to stay in EV mode all the time, not be switching between them

Thats not the idea, that’s my point.
    And you don’t need to physically switch the modes, the car will do it automatically.

The reality of driving a PHEV is that you only need the engine to fire up when you need a burst of power (overtaking etc). Once you are up to speed the engine is off again so the amount of petrol you are burning is relatively small.

People who haven’t driven them tend not to get the point of them!
    People that buy them don't want to spend a cent on petrol, having to use engine to go fast or heat up car is crazy imo

That’s entirely up to them but it’s not how the car is setup to drive.

It’s like people doing pulse and glide style driving when using a standard hybrid. They can do it to eek out more savings but it’s not how I would drive it or how the car is setup.

• Moderators Posts: 12,385 ✭✭✭✭Black_Knight

24k might be the high side of things. IMO the 22500 is only a bit on the low side, maybe by €500 - €750.

Not sure why that Cork one for €20,750 isn't selling. Seems a really good deal, unless there's a few dings and scratches on it. Given the "GARDX Coating" one would assume it's a clean car. "This weeks EV bargain" perhaps?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,236 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

24k might be the high side of things. IMO the 22500 is only a bit on the low side, maybe by €500 - €750.

Not sure why that Cork one for €20,750 isn't selling. Seems a really good deal, unless there's a few dings and scratches on it. Given the "GARDX Coating" one would assume it's a clean car. "This weeks EV bargain" perhaps?
    It's been up for a while so there must be something up
    To be honest, that seems the bargain of the decade so far #dad_joke

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,887 ✭✭✭zg3409

• Registered Users Posts: 1,512 ✭✭✭OffalyMedic

Getting insurance renewed on the ioniq and can't remember what security features it has. Not near the car ATM so can someone tell me is it alarm, immobilizer, tracker , all of the above or what?

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement