Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Hyundai Ioniq 28kWh

Comments

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,406 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

I think it's just alarm & immobiliser.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,256 Mod ✭✭✭✭charlieIRL

Can you see the cars location with an app? Does that count as a tracker?

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,406 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

charlieIRL wrote: »
    Can you see the cars location with an app? Does that count as a tracker?

Would thought that's the very definition of a tracker, but the Ioniq doesn't have that as standard. (far as I'm aware)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 666 ✭✭✭Fishy1

Getting insurance renewed on the ioniq and can't remember what security features it has. Not near the car ATM so can someone tell me is it alarm, immobilizer, tracker , all of the above or what?

A little off topic, but I’m also renewing my Ioniq’s car insurance. I am currently insured with Zurich. I rang around to a lot of companies / brokers & got the best price from AIG.

Mickeroo wrote: »
    Would thought that's the very definition of a tracker, but the Ioniq doesn't have that as standard. (far as I'm aware)

Pity. I can check the location of my car with We Connect with the eGolf but it’s the most unreliable app I’ve ever used. Never thought of mentioning it when transferring my insurance.

There was a company mentioned here a few times that does EV’s, unfortunately I can’t remember the name of them though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 65,741 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

Got the Continental AllSeasonContact (€81.90 each delivered) fitted Saturday morning (€15 each incl. disposal of old tyres). Miles better grip in the wet. The Michelins were always poor in the wet and the last few months as my thread depth was going down towards the safe minimum (I think it was under 3mm in places when I changed them) Although I can still spin the wheels no bother, not just from stand still :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,122 ✭✭✭BigAl81

I don't suppose you know how they'll affect your range? Probably a little but not really noticeably so?

I'd pick sightly less range for better grip myself!

I don't suppose you know how they'll affect your range? Probably a little but not really noticeably so?

BigAl81 wrote: »

Yep. Liamog did the research and he had the same objective as yourself and myself, so I just went with that. No doubt less range / less efficiency, but I'd gladly sacrifice that for more grip (and thus better safety) in the wet.

And a general comment / rant. Why on earth would someone go for Chinese crap tyres for €40 a corner when you can get premium tyres for €80? Seriously?

• Moderators Posts: 12,385 ✭✭✭✭Black_Knight

unkel wrote: »
    Yep. Liamog did the research and he had the same objective as yourself and myself, so I just went with that. No doubt less range / less efficiency, but I'd gladly sacrifice that for more grip (and thus better safety) in the wet.

And a general comment / rant. Why on earth would someone go for Chinese crap tyres for €40 a corner when you can get premium tyres for €80? Seriously?

€160 in the difference! Sure that's a years worth of EV electricity for me!

[size=-2]While true, I too cannot understand the stupidity of putting on chinese ditchfinders on a car[/size]

• Advertisement

€160 in the difference! Sure that's a years worth of EV electricity for me!

2 front tyres after nearly 3 years. The rears probably have another 3 years. So €40 difference * 2 tyres per 3 years for the fronts + €40 difference * 2 tyres per 6 years for the rears = €240 / 6 years =

€40 per year extra for premium tyres. Or 10 cents per day...

• Registered Users Posts: 671 ✭✭✭adunis

Or one could get quality tyres for 60 a corner......

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,384 ✭✭✭baldshin

I don't even know whether to bother driving anymore at all, let alone get a replacement Ioniq, renewal premium just came back at over €3000 for a claim which was no fault of mine.

Further proof that insurance cos are a total bunch of mercenaries,FULL bonous protection is essential IMO

ohh crap, sorry to heard that.

Sorry to hear :(

Full bonus protection with a decent insurance company is a must. Surely you shouldn't be punished if you have a claim through no fault of your own? :(

Can you confirm you were with that cowboy crowd 123.ie?

For what it's worth ,I've been with Hibernian/Aviva since I was 17,excluding 2x 1 year periods wayyyy back,never had an issue including a write off along the way never beaten on price ( once you ignore the renewal notice and get a new quote online every year ) I'd be looking at migrating asap

adunis wrote: »
    I'd be looking at migrating asap

If you are with a cowboy insurer and you have a no fault claim, you won't be able to do that for a number of years until you can say no to the question "have you had a claim in the last xx number of years" :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,926 ✭✭✭Soarer

baldshin wrote: »
    I don't even know whether to bother driving anymore at all, let alone get a replacement Ioniq, renewal premium just came back at over €3000 for a claim which was no fault of mine.

That's shocking.

Do you have any comeback against the car park owners, or the council, or someone?
    Surely a place shouldn't have flooded like that if drains were maintained correctly.

• Advertisement

Soarer wrote: »
    That's shocking.

Do you have any comeback against the car park owners, or the council, or someone?
    Surely a place shouldn't have flooded like that if drains were maintained correctly.

I think I might need to get some legal advice re the council. Normally there are warnings everywhere and the carpark closed if floods are due, but there was nothing this time. Also massive delays from the weather warning upgrade being communicated to patrons of the cinema I was in, where you're supposed to have your phone off. Cinema staff informed us almost a full hour after the warning and flooding began, had the council notified them, and in turn they notified us, all would have been fine. Doubt I'll get anywhere tbough, as this is becoming somewhat of a regular thing there, the carparks out there should all be closed, as they're sitting on reclaimed land from the sea. If this can happen once more, it's one too many as they know the risks of keeping it open.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,926 ✭✭✭Soarer

I'd certainly chase things up. Shag that like.

You were the victim in a completely avoidable situation, and now you're paying for it.

If people can get €20k for tripping on the footpath, surely you can be compensated.

Soarer wrote: »
    That's shocking.

Drains won't help when the car park is below sea level. It was the city councils fault for not closing the car park, usually they're on the ball with that sort of thing but not this time.

baldshin wrote: »
    the carparks out there should all be closed, as they're sitting on reclaimed land from the sea.

I think Ireland isn't very good at the reclaiming land from the sea business :mad:

You seem reluctant to name your insurer, 123.ie, Liberty or otherwise? Maybe you hope there is still a better resolution possible with your insurer?

I think Ireland isn't very good at the reclaiming land from the sea business :mad:

You seem reluctant to name your insurer, 123.ie, Liberty or otherwise? Maybe you hope there is still a better resolution possible with your insurer?

Yeah don't want to name until I have a resolution, but I will be happy to once done!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,003 ✭✭✭iggy

Anyone know if Halfords will install a dashcam on the Ioniq EV?

Think I read somewhere they wouldn't install on EV's?
    Thanks

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 111 ✭✭jeremy_g

kind of off topic; wouldn't be easier if Hyundai like Tesla would enable the existing camera in the windshield and the reverse one to be used as dashcam? but all manufacturers are still living in the past, out of touch with reality. :) (rant over)

Do it yourself keep your money in your pocket.12v power socket in centre console is your easiest source conveniently switches on n off with ignition.

• Registered Users Posts: 399 ✭✭Petetheroadie

24k might be the high side of things. IMO the 22500 is only a bit on the low side, maybe by €500 - €750.

Not sure why that Cork one for €20,750 isn't selling. Seems a really good deal, unless there's a few dings and scratches on it. Given the "GARDX Coating" one would assume it's a clean car. "This weeks EV bargain" perhaps?

Just saw this one in the UK which seems decent value too:

http://www.autotrader.co.uk/classified/advert/201911184486304?atmobcid=soc3

It is a good price for the UK, but it will still cost you over €25k to land it here.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,434 ✭✭✭September1

Based on my experience on Ionity, I would recommend other Ioniq owners to use Maingau payment when adding less than 54% charge and use Chargepoint payment if charging more than that.

• Advertisement

September1 wrote: »
    Based on my experience on Ionity, I would recommend other Ioniq owners to use Maingau payment when adding less than 54% charge and use Chargepoint payment if charging more than that.

My manigau card doesn’t work anymore.

Really?? I used it 4 times at two different locations in the last 2 weeks with no problems at all, are you sure??

• Registered Users Posts: 1,434 ✭✭✭September1

charlieIRL wrote: »
    My manigau card doesn’t work anymore.

Use the app, it should work. I hit problem with readers occasionally in Athlone, but app always starts charging for me. Same with Chargepoint.

BigAl81 wrote: »
    Really?? I used it 4 times at two different locations in the last 2 weeks with no problems at all, are you sure??

Yupp last two times I was Ionity in Athlone it wouldn’t work. Have it linked to bank account and everything. Have ordered the new fob they have to see will that work.
    I’ll be there again today and will try it again.

I used the app to start the charge and according to it, I’m still connected to the second charge point! Rang them about it and they said it’s a glitch in the app.

charlieIRL wrote:
    Yupp last two times I was Ionity in Athlone it wouldn’t work. Have it linked to bank account and everything.

This may be the issue. Link it to PayPal rather than your bank.

Also, Ionity charger number 2 in Athlone was reporting as broken in the app for weeks, but when your there, there's no indication it's offline. Avoid that one!

Very much still early adopter days for EVs.

I had thought 2019 would be the year EVs are ready to go mainstream. I now think late 2021!!!

Even the optimist in me has been saying for a long time that the year of the EV will be 2021...

It's been a while now, but the car forgot its scheduled charging times again the other day. I'm pretty good at checking they're set just before I charge, so it's not really an issue, but i'll surely be mentioning it at it's next service in a couple of months time.

Most annoying thing is while it forgets the times (all blank) the car will still flash the middle status light on the dash to say it's scheduled to charge.

And you're absolutely sure you got the software update? My scheduled charging settings haven't gone missing once since I got the update (I think nearly 2 years ago). And neither have the saved settings for the driving mode (like I use regen level 2 for sports mode)

And you're absolutely sure you got the software update? My scheduled charging settings haven't gone missing once since I got the update (I think nearly 2 years ago). And neither have the saved settings for the driving mode (like I use regen level 2 for sports mode)

100% certain I got the software update. Save settings for driving mode has never been an issue.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,136 ✭✭✭✭KCross

It's been a while now, but the car forgot its scheduled charging times again the other day. I'm pretty good at checking they're set just before I charge, so it's not really an issue, but i'll surely be mentioning it at it's next service in a couple of months time.

Thats a disaster. Reliable overnight charging is non-negotiable when you have a BEV. Worrying whether the car is charged each morning you go out is worse than range anxiety!

Why are you going to wait till next service to get it fixed? I'd have a path worn to the dealers door to fix that.

iirc you were fairly up to date with the software on the car but there was one later update available. I'd at least go to the dealer and get them to apply that and a full install/reboot of everything might resolve it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 603 ✭✭✭shanemkelly

Same for me. No loss of scheduled charge times since the last software update (around May 2019).

New 12v sorted mine

Yeah, anything dodgy electric going on and your battery is a couple of years old, might as well stick a new one in. They're cheap. I'm surprised I haven't had to replace mine yet, the thing seems to be permanently near empty (which is brutal on a lead acid battery)

And we all know at this stage that the only known problem with Ioniq (that's not fixed with a recall / update) is that the software should top up the 12V from the traction battery in a much better way

Another solution which I've done is
    Buy a cheap WiFi switch off eBay for a tenner (mines a sonoff on a din rail mount) stick it inside your charger (mines a garo) there will almost certainly be contacts and/or dip switches to enable remote operation and use the app on your phone as the timer.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,887 ✭✭✭zg3409

KCross wrote: »
    Thats a disaster. Reliable overnight charging is non-negotiable when you have a BEV. Worrying whether the car is charged each morning you go out is worse than range anxiety!

Why are you going to wait till next service to get it fixed? I'd have a path worn to the dealers door to fix that.

iirc you were fairly up to date with the software on the car but there was one later update available. I'd at least go to the dealer and get them to apply that and a full install/reboot of everything might resolve it.

Why am I waiting? It doesn't bother me that much. I've only been caught out by it once, and that was the first time it happened. My fault commute is tiny, so range is fine. I usually charge up with about 60-70km range left, just in case I need to go a distance.

As for getting the absolute latest versions, it's just the effort involved. The version I have currently should have the charging fix. They took all day last time, and took an absolute age to drop me to work too 1km away).

And as for changing the battery, again, it's not a pain point for me yet. Sure it'd be great to have it fixed, but I'll gladly wait until my service in April.

Another solution which I've done is
    Buy a cheap WiFi switch off eBay for a tenner (mines a sonoff on a din rail mount) stick it inside your charger (mines a garo) there will almost certainly be contacts and/or dip switches to enable remote operation and use the app on your phone as the timer.

Is that a sonoff basic switch you're talking about? They're only rated for 10A as far as I know. Even their high power one is only rated to 15A!

Is that a sonoff basic switch you're talking about? They're only rated for 10A as far as I know. Even their high power one is only rated to 15A!

Yes,it doesn't matter if it's only rated for .5A all it's doing is making a contact on the chargers main board works in the exact same fashion as a relay does in anything else.

P.S. the reason it's in there is I still don't trust the Ioniq to charge reliably if it's plugged in and abbondoned for say 6 hours waiting to charge,even with the new 12v battery ,I've the timer set to give it a half hour every 4 hours.its a very occasional scenario but is exactly the situation in which it's failed previously.

Yes,it doesn't matter if it's only rated for .5A all it's doing is making a contact on the chargers main board works in the exact same fashion as a relay does in anything else.

Nice setup. A bit of automation and you'd be set to charge 2 cars overnight without popping the main fuse, or splashing out better chargers

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,887 ✭✭✭zg3409

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement