Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Hyundai Ioniq 28kWh

Comments

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 8,075 Mod ✭✭✭✭liamog

Sticking to that 2km radius like a champ!

Once again reminding people that the 2km radius is only for personal excercise. Clearly Kramer did a 43km return journey to his local shop!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,228 ✭✭✭Kramer

unkel wrote: »
    We sure won't. Hyundai Ioniq Electric is the most efficient mass produced car ever made.

Aye. Mrs. Kramer says she will miss the Ioniq.
    KCross wrote: »
    I think the latest Model 3 efficiency figures have dethroned the Ioniq.

EPA though, they measure Teslas in imperial, feet & inches.
    The Ioniq was manufactured for metric roads. Metrics are usually smaller.

:D
    Sticking to that 2km radius like a champ!

Green jersey donned, shoulder firmly to the wheel :pac:.
    liamog wrote: »
    Once again reminding people that the 2km radius is only for personal excercise. Clearly Kramer did a 43km return journey to his local shop!

It's just a very, very long driveway :D.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,081 ✭✭✭fricatus

Lads, I've a really weird problem that only started in the past week: I always use the preconditioning (departure time) feature, but one day it barely melted the ice on the windscreen and didn't clear the side windows.

It had clearly run though, because the display on the Zappi charger showed Charge Complete 0.19 kw/h. This was strange because normally it uses between about 0.9 and 1.4 depending on how cold it is.

When I got in the car, it was showing a/c on auto with the temperature set to 15 degrees. I assumed that my wife had set it that low to cool down the car and forgotten to put it back up, so I turned it back up to 21.5 and I thought nothing further of it. Obviously with a lower temperature setting, it would use less power to get to that level.

The same thing happened yesterday and the a/c temperature when I got in the car was 15 degrees, so I figured some setting was wrong. However I had a good look in the menus and nothing looked amiss. I deleted all the charging settings and set them up again, hoping that would fix the problem, but this morning it was the same: windscreen not cleared, only a small amount of power used, and temperature back at 15 deg when I got in.

Anyone ever seen this? Any ideas?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,819 ✭✭✭Silent Running

fricatus wrote: »
    Lads, I've a really weird problem that only started in the past week: I always use the preconditioning (departure time) feature, but one day it barely melted the ice on the windscreen and didn't clear the side windows.

It had clearly run though, because the display on the Zappi charger showed Charge Complete 0.19 kw/h. This was strange because normally it uses between about 0.9 and 1.4 depending on how cold it is.

When I got in the car, it was showing a/c on auto with the temperature set to 15 degrees. I assumed that my wife had set it that low to cool down the car and forgotten to put it back up, so I turned it back up to 21.5 and I thought nothing further of it. Obviously with a lower temperature setting, it would use less power to get to that level.

The same thing happened yesterday and the a/c temperature when I got in the car was 15 degrees, so I figured some setting was wrong. However I had a good look in the menus and nothing looked amiss. I deleted all the charging settings and set them up again, hoping that would fix the problem, but this morning it was the same: windscreen not cleared, only a small amount of power used, and temperature back at 15 deg when I got in.

I can't think why it would suddenly decide that the temperature should be 15C when it happily ran up to 21.5C previously, if nothing was changed in the setup.

A possible cure would be to download and install the latest software. At least this would overwrite any glitch that might have developed.

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,433 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

Usually when weird stuff starts happening I would assume the 12v is on the way out.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 65,881 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

A possible cure would be to download and install the latest software. At least this would overwrite any glitch that might have developed.

I would "trick" the dealer into doing this for you for free under warranty, rather than risk doing it myself

And quite possibly the 12V on the way out like Mickeroo suggested. The way the Hyundai system works in topping up the 12V from the HV battery is far from ideal and leads to premature death of the 12V. It's a miracle I didn't yet have to replace mine after 3 years of owning it, but it's unlike to last much beyond that. Which I suppose is fair enough as that's about the expected life of a cheap 12V lead acid battery

I was toying with the idea of replacing it with a lithium one. Might be worth your while if you are going to keep the car for many more years

I would "trick" the dealer into doing this for you for free under warranty, rather than risk doing it myself

I don't know how much risk there is in doing it. I've done it 3 times (twice on the Ioniq and once on the Niro) with no hassle at all. A very simple operation once you follow the steps laid out in the instructions available online.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,351 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

Yes but then you have to buy the 12v!

I don't know how much risk there is in doing it. I've done it 3 times (twice on the Ioniq and once on the Niro) with no hassle at all. A very simple operation once you follow the steps laid out in the instructions available online.

Sure. I've flashed ROM chips a thousand times over the past 30 odd years. A few of them went wrong though. Not too bad on a €150 motherboard. But not great on a car still worth twenty grand :D

All I'm saying is why take the risk when the dealer will do it for free under warranty and if things go wrong they will sort it. For free.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,921 ✭✭✭zg3409

Known issue with old firmware forgetting timer setting. 0917 (sept 2017) or later fixes it.

Low 12v could do anything.

• Advertisement

Surely he will have software version from later than 0917 (unless his dealer is an idiot / he never had his car serviced)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,081 ✭✭✭fricatus

Mickeroo wrote: »
    Usually when weird stuff starts happening I would assume the 12v is on the way out.
    zg3409 wrote: »
    Known issue with old firmware forgetting timer setting. 0917 (sept 2017) or later fixes it.

Low 12v could do anything.
    Surely he will have software version from later than 0917 (unless his dealer is an idiot / he never had his car serviced)

Thanks lads, yes I have a later software version, though definitely not the very latest. I do know that my version at least fixes the famous issue with it forgetting the timer settings.

The 12v explanation is quite plausible. I'm aware of the discussion here around all sorts going wrong once it starts failing, and this has coincided with two things: 1) my two-year anniversary of owning the car (as I understand it, the 12v problems seem to start around this time), and 2) an extended period during which I haven't been driving and/or charging the car every day, better known to all of us as lockdown... so it's possible that the 12v is on its way out and this is being accelerated by the lack of the usual daily charging and long runs (my daily commute is Waterford to Kilkenny, so 53 km/45 mins morning and evening).

What do you reckon? Will the dealer replace the 12v or am I better off just going to a car parts place?

• Moderators Posts: 12,390 ✭✭✭✭Black_Knight

What do you reckon? Will the dealer replace the 12v or am I better off just going to a car parts place?

Doubt they'll replace it. No proof of it being the cause.

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,433 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

Warranty on the 12v is only two years.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,147 ✭✭✭✭KCross

The 12v explanation is quite plausible....so it's possible that the 12v is on its way out and this is being accelerated by the lack of the usual daily charging and long runs (my daily commute is Waterford to Kilkenny, so 53 km/45 mins morning and evening).

Will the dealer replace the 12v or am I better off just going to a car parts place?

Or just stick it on a 12V charger for 48hrs and that will likely bring it back to decent health.

If your issue continues to happen I would then hazard a guess that its not the 12V at all. So, might be better to try that first before shelling out for a new 12V.

At this rate it could do Limerick to Dublin return, with just a single 15 minute stop at Ionity on the Naas Road :eek:.
    egAiTHa.jpg

Sure, but at 80km/h you'd even be overtaken by Nissan Leafs :p

Sure, but at 80km/h you'd even be overtaken by Nissan Leafs :p

Slow & steady wins the race...........remember the turtle & the hare?
    :D.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,563 ✭✭✭eagerv

I'm not too far behind you..:)
    Did 60.8 km on 24% of tank today, keeping to speed limit (80 and 100).
    Impressed..

Get a really mild day, about 20C and you can drive around all day for around 9kWh / 100km with a light foot. Just driving smoothly on national roads, but not motorways (at the speed limit). Not using any hypermiling techniques. For a range of 300km. If I still had my Ioniq, that's what I would do this summer to prove some doubting Thomases on this forum wrong :)

• Advertisement

I notice efficiency seems to worsen as the battery drains. Commute took 32% battery today, from 50% down to 18% on 55km round trip. Implied range of only 172km or so if that consumption was constant I think.

I predict tomorrow in practically identical conditions my commute will use only 22% or so when starting with a full battery. I know preconditioning will contribute a bit here but not enough to save 10% over the course of the day surely, especially when the driving conditions are so good at the mo.

We are still very new to our Ioniq and haven't had the opportunity to do any longer runs yet with the lock down, though I do get to drive a bit being a key worker.
    Wondering how accurate is the kWh per 100km? Even on short hops it often displays 13 or 14kWh/100, trips that would kill the economy on a petrol or diesel. Longer trips about 12/100 seems easily achievable keeping to speed limit on national and regional roads.

The Ioniq belongs to the wife, I have a petrol Civic which is faster, sportier and better equipped than the Ioniq. Perhaps it's just the novelty but at the moment we are almost exclusively using the Ioniq, I think it's a great comfortable car..
    Even with WTI Crude Oil at Minus $20...:)

Are you sure the Civic is faster as in faster away from the lights? Unless it's a Type-R, I doubt it.

Are you sure the Civic is faster as in faster away from the lights? Unless it's a Type-R, I doubt it.

Probably not much in it from the lights, say 0 to 60 km/h, possibly the Ioniq a little faster with the instant torque. But the Civic feels much faster after that, especially when overtaking and also pulls well up to high speeds.
    From the top of my head from the official figures the Civic is just under 2 seconds faster to 100km.
    But for normal driving the Ioniq certainly doesn't feel slow..

Ah yeah, Ioniq is pretty dead above about 80km/h. Quick away from the lights though. I never got tired from hearing those start stop ICE engines starting up from when I was already nearly on the other side of the junction :D

Not sure if I ever thanked you unkel, but it was you who recommended that we try the Ioniq when we were thinking of an EV over the past year or so. For some reason I was never an Ioniq fan, probably after looking( And not driving) at a well worn one a while ago. But now we have one we are very happy with it. It's perfect for nearly all our driving. The home charging is so convenient and the car feels as new.
    My Honda is due a change this year, it's a great ICE car to drive for it's price. I have a booking deposit down on the ID3 but might be looking at other alternatives.. Thinking Tesla M3..
    Thanks again..

Kramer wrote: »
    Slow & steady wins the race...........remember the turtle & the hare?
    :D.
    As an Ioniq driver (28) you should be the hare!
    I won the Dublin - Cork - Dublin EV rally a couple of years ago. Last to start and first to finish. Doing 120 GPS speed (125 indicated) the whole way. Passing leafs doing 80!

Ioniq 28, probably the best non Tesla EV out there. Still.

Mickeroo wrote: »
    Warranty on the 12v is only two years.

This, and the dealer would not replace mine until his battery tester said it was bad, and they had none in stock. I replaced mine for less than 100 euro. Even the replacement struggles (but has never let me down).

I have an extension lead ran to the car with a 12v trickle charger mounted inside windscreen with it constantly tricks charging the battery for the past few weeks. This also allows me to keep the main battery at 80%, not 100%.

As others have said leave a trickle charger on your 12v battery. When the home EV charger is connected it only chargers the 12v at the first hour or so of charging and again if preheating, but not if not driving. When battery drops to 11.8 volts the car will try top it up from main battery, but it typically leaves the battery low. My car tends to sit at 12.3v which is much lower than it should be. On the trickle charger is sits around 13 volts

11.8V is far too low for a 12V lead acid to ever get to. Never mind all the time. This is a poorly designed function of the software that I'd say would be easily fixed with a firmware update. But the pragmatist in me would just replace the EUR60 battery every 2-3 years rather than bother with hooking the car up to a trickle charger regularly...

• Advertisement

Ah yeah, Ioniq is pretty dead above about 80km/h. Quick away from the lights though. I never got tired from hearing those start stop ICE engines starting up from when I was already nearly on the other side of the junction :D

I think you had one of the quicker Ioniqs though - sub 8 seconds 0-100 wasn't it?
    :P
    ELM327 wrote: »
    As an Ioniq driver (28) you should be the hare!
    Got to get that consumption down though, hoping for 7kWh/100km when the weather warms up a little.
    Already stripped out the rear seats & heat pump (wired the heating LED directly to the ignition so Mrs. Kramer still thinks the heater is working :D). Got the tyres pumped up to almost 7 bar too & took off the passenger side wing mirror - every little helps :pac:.
    I won the Dublin - Cork - Dublin EV rally a couple of years ago. Last to start and first to finish. Doing 120 GPS speed (125 indicated) the whole way. Passing leafs doing 80!

I quite like the back of the Leaf - I've often "drafted" behind one to improve efficiency :p.
    Ioniq 28, probably the best non Tesla EV out there. Still.

Yep.

You can be a funny man sometimes, Kramer :p

Best of luck with the sale
    I think you had one of the quicker Ioniqs though - sub 8 seconds 0-100 wasn't it?
    :P

Not quite, 0-60 in 8.4s ;) Although I'm starting to think it was more me and not so much the car :p I had as much fun toward the end of life of my near legal limit front tyres when I could barely do 0-30 in sub 8 seconds, but it was a lot of fun :p Not dissimilar to the Tesla (0-60 in 3.9s), although that car adds another level of brutal to it as I'm sure those figures will give a good indication of. If Musk would let me pay to take another second off that, I would :p

• Registered Users Posts: 920 ✭✭✭Macker

Can anyone recommend roof bars, looking for something that can be used every now and then, not permanent so easy to fit and remove

Macker wrote: »
    Can anyone recommend roof bars, looking for something that can be used every now and then, not permanent so easy to fit and remove

Can't you get like inflatable tubes or a foam board or something which straps onto the car. Easy to fit, easy to remove, and completely temporary.

Something like this:
    https://www.amazon.co.uk/HandiRack-Universal-Inflatable-roof-Black/dp/B002YHD8PG

Can't you get like inflatable tubes or a foam board or something which straps onto the car. Easy to fit, easy to remove, and completely temporary.

Something like this:
    https://www.amazon.co.uk/HandiRack-Universal-Inflatable-roof-Black/dp/B002YHD8PG
    They look OK but I think I'd prefer something that's not in contact with the paintwork, I saw some on YouTube but not sure they are available here

• Registered Users Posts: 671 ✭✭✭adunis

Any generic "roofbar for gutterless car",will do I'd go straight to eBay and buy something not Chinese muck and equally not mont blanc or similar "premium" quality item.

• Advertisement

Anyone ever get 300 on their GOM?

lhiNKea.jpg

Anyone ever get 300 on their GOM?

lhiNKea.jpg

Lads I think the isolation has gotten to him.

Lads I think the isolation has gotten to him.

I beginning to think someone put a 38.3kWh battery in our Ioniq :D.

It's possible too that randomer Unkel keeps referring to who claims he got over 400km out of his Ioniq was telling the truth :eek:.
    We do know of another Boardsie poster who regularly got over 300km from a charge so there is that too I suppose.

It's possible too that randomer Unkel keeps referring to who claims he got over 400km out of his Ioniq was telling the truth :eek:.
    We do know of another Boardsie poster who regularly got over 300km from a charge so there is that too I suppose.
    That was recorded and put on YT!

I always got great range out of the Ioniq. I stopped posting about it as there seemed to be a vibe that I was spoofing for some reason.

I get fantastic economy from the e-Niro now, but I wouldn't post much about it here.

• Advertisement

I always got great range out of the Ioniq. I stopped posting about it as there seemed to be a vibe that I was spoofing for some reason.

I get fantastic economy from the e-Niro now, but I wouldn't post much about it here.

Apologies, that may have been me. I, by contrast have never gotten great range from mine.

1. My commute is short and up a hill. I don't get the benefit of it coming home though. Need to detour to crèche.
    2. My long distance drives are infrequent and all 100km/hr -120km/hr actually speed.
    3. Cork... Tis all hills sure

I would have been one of the detractors. Not to doubt your experience at all, but more to color it in the eyes of neutral readers so that they should not expect similar.
    Apologies, that may have been me. I, by contrast have never gotten great range from mine.

1. My commute is short and up a hill. I don't get the benefit of it coming home though. Need to detour to crèche.
    2. My long distance drives are infrequent and all 100km/hr -120km/hr actually speed.
    3. Cork... Tis all hills sure
    +1
    When I had the ioniq I was driving 80-90% motorway at 125km/h indicated (120 gps) and getting a range of ~150km winter and ~165-175km summer.

Not me, it was a dude in France or Italy (can't remember) who posted up his vid on youtubed. I linked it here before once or twice. Have a look. From memory he got 433km and he still had nearly 4% battery left.

The closest I came was driving around the Dublin area for a day with a light foot, just driving smoothly with max anticipation (but no hypermiling techniques) and I averaged a bit over 9kWh/100km, so a range of a bit over 300km

Would be easy to get that driving around 80km/h speed limit quiet provincial roads a bit away from Dublin. Was going to do that this summer, just to shut up some critics who doubted this was possible. But alas I no longer have the car. FWIW the highest range I ever saw displayed was 247km. I always drove in sport mode. You'd be nuts to drive it any other way unless you are some sort of efficiency fetishist and over 95 years of age imho :pac:

adunis wrote: »
    Any generic "roofbar for gutterless car",will do I'd go straight to eBay and buy something not Chinese muck and equally not mont blanc or similar "premium" quality item.

Cheers, looking at Micks garage for the same, seem as reasonable as ebay

Yeah. Unless there are problems. Then Micks garage is no longer reasonable at all. Had to start a small claims court procedure against them for a dead battery that was clearly covered under warranty. Dozens of phone calls and emails were ignored / brushed off. Once I had proof my SCC case had been started, they refunded me in full within the hour.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,579 ✭✭✭prettyboy81

Thoughts on the price of this one off main dealer? Considering trading my i40 132 D and making the jump.

http://www.fairviewmotors.ie/viewanad.php?ad_id=2452839&r=

Thoughts on the price of this one off main dealer? Considering trading my i40 132 D and making the jump.

http://www.fairviewmotors.ie/viewanad.php?ad_id=2452839&r=

The link does not bring me to a specific vehicle. Fairview motors sell a lot of UK imports, so speedometer may be miles only and not easy to change, but you can display km and miles with miles main display.

As for the car market with oil prices set to drop and dealers having problems selling new, there may be bargains to have over coming months. This dealer seems to have a lot of EVs to sell. Dealer may not want your trade in, they may want less stock cash sales to pay bills.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 4,948 ✭✭✭pullandbang

The link does not bring me to a specific vehicle.

Brings me straight to a Silver 2017 for €22950....

The link does not bring me to a specific vehicle. Fairview motors sell a lot of UK imports, so speedometer may be miles only and not easy to change, but you can display km and miles with miles main display.

As for the car market with oil prices set to drop and dealers having problems selling new, there may be bargains to have over coming months. This dealer seems to have a lot of EVs to sell. Dealer may not want your trade in, they may want less stock cash sales to pay bills.

Sorry for link. Speedo is in kmh. Thanks for info. They have offered €8k trade in on my 132 D i40. Mine is U.K. import. Not rushing into decision & see how market reacts over next 6-8 weeks.

Brings me straight to a Silver 2017 for €22950....

That’s the one.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement