Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Hyundai Ioniq 28kWh

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 55 ✭✭cluaindiuic

adunis wrote: »
    Maps and software are also available on the Boliden.de forum but didn't work for me.
    Don't have the links etc to hand.

Method as follows

Use current SD card from car upload existing maps to somewhere safe from same just in case.

Stick unzipper software files on same
    Insert in car and turn on car/radio.

Update starts automatically several reboots takes maybe 10 minutes

Remove card install unpacked files for new maps
    Pit back in car.

THE HACK

As per YouTube video but be warned
    Getting the keypad to display to enter the code could take you 2 goes or approximately 746 attempts all I can offer is it does work.

Once done it's standard android jellybean from there on......

Enjoy

You could theoretically play Netflix/Sky Go through it?
    One part awesome, one part catestrophically dangerous. :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 671 ✭✭✭adunis

The short answer is yes
    There ain't no potentially about it 🤣🤣🤣

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 65,881 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

Years before smartphones even existed, I hacked the TV in my BMW 7-series so I could watch live telly while driving. I was fairly responsible with this but I did usually watch the RTE 6PM news on my way home from work (while completely stuck in grid lock traffic). Seems like a different era now. No more grid lock in Dublin :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 33 cafard

Celebrating the first year with the Ioniq here. It's still the same wonder as the first day. The comfort, the silence, the road tax!

Only niggle was a small puncture in the left rear tyre, which wasn't obvious but the sensor always showed pressure there to be slightly lower, so I pointed it during servicing and it got fixed. They forgot to reset the service interval, mind, and couldn't figure out how to do it myself so gave them a ring. Turns out you just long press the 'ok' button when on the service interval screen.

That reminds me, in 3 years of owning an Ioniq, the only repair I ever paid for was for the removal of a screw in one of the tyres and then to patch it. EUR10 :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,351 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

Same here, a tenner on puncture repair.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,061 ✭✭✭Uriel.

Hi all, seem to have a problem with my 2017 HEV and wonder has any come across it before and importantly any solution.

The buttons/screen on the righthand side of the steering wheel/instrument don't appear to be working correctly.
    The screen is on and appears to be functioning OK but I can't scroll through the different info screens, nothing happens when I press buttons. But worse, the cruise control button won't turn on cruise. If I long press it resets cruise but won't turn it on. Press the set/reset toggle actually scrolls between cruise, limit etc its weird.

Any ideas.
    Was only serviced 3 weeks ago.

Your car has a 5 year warranty. No point in even discussing it here, straight back to the dealer and he will fix it free of charge under warranty. If they want to keep your car, demand a loaner. Try get a fully electric Ioniq or Kona as a loaner, not a sh1tty (but brand new) ix20 diesel manual, like I got :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,921 ✭✭✭zg3409

Uriel. wrote: »
    Any ideas.
    Was only serviced 3 weeks ago.

Turn it off and on again, as in disconnect the 12v for 5 minutes and see does that fix it

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 8,075 Mod ✭✭✭✭liamog

Had to do a long journey to Ikea in Belfast today in our '17 Ioniq, was in no rush so decided to take it easy on the way up, first time I've dialled down the cruise on a 120km/h motorway.

Had the cruise control dialled in at 110km/h and averaged 13.5 kWh/100km on the way up. Kept that from Dublin to Ikea and back down to Castlebellingham (CB). Dialled it back up to my normal 130km/h for the CB to home leg and averaged 16.5 kWh/100km.
    Weather was around 15°C and dry, AC was on auto and 21°C

I reset the counter at the start and after the charge in CB.

I started from 100% and got home with 44%, charged once in Banbridge, and the second time in CB. eCars records me taking on 40.83kWh, plus the 56% of my battery (15.68kWh) gives me a total consumption of 56.5kWh for the journey of 370km so a total of around 15.27 kWh/100km.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators Posts: 12,390 ✭✭✭✭Black_Knight

Some difference between 110km/hr and 130km/hr.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 8,075 Mod ✭✭✭✭liamog

Yeah that's what I was thinking, normally when we do that trip we only go as far as Banbridge, so I don't particularly care about the range, tend to do Dublin to CB (North) then go to Banbridge (no charge required) and stop of at CB (South) on the way home.
    I do that with the idea that I can stop at Banbridge if CB (North) is down, and then Lusk (Southbound) if CB (South) is down. This time, I wanted enough to make it comfortably to Sprucefield on the way up. I always try to charge at the charger before the one I need.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 19,266 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

Is the first leg of the trip with the wind/downhill I wonder. My commute sees nearly 10% efficiency improvement on the way home every day simply as I’m travelling the opposite direction

Wind makes a huge difference. If you're driving north east with a light 20km/h prevailing south west wind in your back, the 120km/h you are doing is really only 100km/h. But it's 140km/h on your way back!

slave1 wrote: »
    Is the first leg of the trip with the wind/downhill I wonder. My commute sees nearly 10% efficiency improvement on the way home every day simply as I’m travelling the opposite direction

It pretty much averaged out, there was about 100m of elevation between my house and IKEA Belfast, with the mountains in the middle. Normally I'd do the Dublin Banbridge all at 130 on the cruise (until the North where I'd switch to 120), and get around 17kWh for the whole trip.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,228 ✭✭✭Kramer

Ditto.
    I would have done a regular 100km return trip & even in dead calm conditions, I always had significantly lower consumption on the return leg, I'd say upwards of 20% even.
    Not too much of an elevation change but it has a significant impact.

I actually did the 50km trip one evening during lockdown at 6.7kWh/100km :eek:. I think it was approx 8.5kWh/100km on the outward leg.

I'm pretty sure the biggest variable was the speed, the first leg involved going over the Mournes twice, versus the second which was the relatively flat journey from CB to Dublin.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 19,266 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

Just thinking, Ikea trip, would you have had significant weight added for the return trip?

Just thinking, Ikea trip, would you have had significant weight added for the return trip?

No, we bought a couple of day bed mattresses, and we drove from IKEA to Castlebellingham over the mountains still doing the 110km/hr and maintaining the 13.5kWh/100km. It was only after CB I upped the speed, as I knew we had plenty to make it home.

liamog wrote: »
    No, we bought a couple of day bed mattresses, and we drove from IKEA to Castlebellingham over the mountains

Is the Belfast IKEA fast charger still fenced off or available now? It's been a while since I was there, I think it was Christmas time & they had it all fenced off as they were storing trees all over the place.

I might be up there next week - would be good to know.

• Advertisement

There was a Tesla charging on it when I was there, I didn't need to go near it because I have a technical issue with the the Electric Highway chargers. (They are technically rubbish and only charge my car at 35kW)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,127 ✭✭✭BigAl81

Hi all,

I was wondering if I could get some help from those more in the know than myself on tyres. I've seen the following mentioned in this thread recently as having better grip than the tyres the car comes with originally...

Continental All Seasons,

Michelin Crossclimate+

Goodyear Efficientgrip Performance 2

"A rated Michelin S1 tyres"

Dunlop sport blu response

Would there be a clear winner there does anyone know? Looking for more grip and willing to sacrifice (a small bit!) of range to get it.

Thanks!
    BigAl.

Ps: Will be interesting to see how much hassle it will be to get the latest software and maps. Posting what I believe are the latest versions here for posterity!

519988.jpg

Correct, that's the latest.

No idea who'd be the clear winner with the tyres. I've not had mine long enough to say. I use a combination of the A/B/C... ratings tyres get on oponeo and scores on https://www.tyrereviews.co.uk/Tyre/ around a pricepoint i'm happy with to pick a tyre. With that, I came up with Goodyear Efficientgrip Performance 2

• Registered Users Posts: 4,563 ✭✭✭eagerv

BigAl81 wrote: »
    Hi all,

I was wondering if I could get some help from those more in the know than myself on tyres. I've seen the following mentioned in this thread recently as having better grip than the tyres the car comes with originally...

Continental All Seasons,

Michelin Crossclimate+

Goodyear Efficientgrip Performance 2

"A rated Michelin S1 tyres"

Dunlop sport blu response

Would there be a clear winner there does anyone know? Looking for more grip and willing to sacrifice (a small bit!) of range to get it.

Thanks!
    BigAl.

Ps: Will be interesting to see how much hassle it will be to get the latest software and maps. Posting what I believe are the latest versions here for posterity!

519988.jpg

We got new Michelin Primacy 4 on the car when we bought second hand last February. They seem quiet compared to other cars I drive and no problem with grip. Not sure about economy but we have no problem getting 10kWh/100km for our rural driving. I always leave regen at zero and the car seems to glide effortlessly.
    The updates look the same as ours which were done about 4 weeks ago. I had to put them under a lot of pressure to do them, as should have been done when we got car last February as they said they did a full service..
    I also told them I was having trouble with the scheduled charging (Which I was but probably not related to the updates)

I'm on the Continental AllSeasonContacts, I value grip in the wet over raw efficiency.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,496 ✭✭✭irishgrover

liamog wrote: »
    I'm on the Continental AllSeasonContacts, I value grip in the wet over raw efficiency.

do you find it actually makes any difference in terms or range?

Not particularly, I've always drove the car in a spirited manner, I'd say a max reduction of 5km of range since I switched the tyres.

Same. Got the same as Liam based on his research. Huge improvement on the stock Michelin tyres in grip, particularly in the wet. I can't say I noticed any reduction in range, but I didn't measure it either. Likely it did give a reduction of maybe 5-10km

• Registered Users Posts: 399 ✭✭Petetheroadie

I got the Michelin Crossclimate+ S1 rated ones from tyreleader.ie as they were a "B" on rolling resistance Vs the normal "C" on the non S1 model. Also, apparently they last better than the dunlops, and the improvement in grip was dramatic. Haven't noticed any impact on range, but I also have a heavy right foot so YMMV.

The specific model is Michelin CrossClimate + 205/55 R16 94V XL, S1

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,351 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

The last car I bought tires for were my leaf. I got 2 of the same (bridgestone eco) from the nissan dealer for the front, during a service (they were the originals from the back and lasted 90k+) and got two for the back from a cheap garage for 50 quid each. They replaced the originals from the front that lasted 105k km. No difference in range or performance from the cheaper tires except road noise.

For the Ioniq I sold it on after 50k km on the original rubber.

ELM327 wrote: »
    The last car I bought tires for were my leaf. I got 2 of the same (bridgestone eco) from the nissan dealer for the front, during a service (they were the originals from the back and lasted 90k+) and got two for the back from a cheap garage for 50 quid each. They replaced the originals from the front that lasted 105k km. No difference in range or performance from the cheaper tires except road noise.

For the Ioniq I sold it on after 50k km on the original rubber.

My car (6month old ex demo at the time) came with 2 Michelin Energy efficient tyres on the rear(!?) And 2 Grenlanders on the front, which were total white. Wheelspin when dry and awful braking when wet. Initially swapped Michelin's to front, but they weren't much better as they were surprisingly worn. New boots are much better!

• Registered Users Posts: 671 ✭✭✭adunis

How ? ,Just how?
    I have never ever gotten better than 30k out of front tyres on anything ,ever and yes that including swapping front and back at 20 k ISH......
    The only exception being the tyres on my 40 yerold Landrover they just last for about 200years mind you they started with about an 1nch of thread depth

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,645 ✭✭✭krissovo

Anyone here currently on a Shannon cruise and parked their Ionic in Banagher? My model 3 is just in front of it.

Just back from a shop, and a bit of a free charge, but realised I'll need a bit more charge so I plugged in at home. Charging port lock won't engage though. I can hear a tick tick tick in the cabin when I plug in the cable, like a relay trying to fire.

Disconnected the 12v just now, so we'll see if that helps

No joy. Gave the local fast charger a go but as expected, no joy. "Vehicle problem". Off to Hyundai tomorrow so.

Just back from a shop, and a bit of a free charge, but realised I'll need a bit more charge so I plugged in at home. Charging port lock won't engage though. I can hear a tick tick tick in the cabin when I plug in the cable, like a relay trying to fire.

Disconnected the 12v just now, so we'll see if that helps

No joy. Gave the local fast charger a go but as expected, no joy. "Vehicle problem". Off to Hyundai tomorrow so.

Did you try pulling the emergency release in the boot? That helped me when I had a similar issue, and it's never happened again.

• Advertisement

Did you try pulling the emergency release in the boot? That helped me when I had a similar issue, and it's never happened again.

I'll give that a go in a bit. Should be no reason the boot release would have been tampered with in the last few hours to cause this though.

Was that you who had this issue on here on boards a few months back?

I presume you had the charge port actuator replaced as part of the recall?

unkel wrote: »
    I presume you had the charge port actuator replaced as part of the recall?

I was told it was replaced before I got the car. Wouldn't be like Hyundai to lie would it?

LOL, ring another dealer, give them your reg and they will be able to tell you. Unless of course the first dealer falsely recorded it as having been replaced. Looks like it needs doing anyway.

I'll give that a go in a bit. Should be no reason the boot release would have been tampered with in the last few hours to cause this though.

Was that you who had this issue on here on boards a few months back?

Yeah, I was one of the people that had this, and pulling the emergency release sorted it. Mine is a 191 so it wasn't a persistent issue, it just seemed to be a one off.

• Advertisement

Yeah, I was one of the people that had this, and pulling the emergency release sorted it. Mine is a 191 so it wasn't a persistent issue, it just seemed to be a one off.

That did the trick. Tried it when I got home and heard the latch lock in place (had to drive the wife's ICE... Tried to put it in gear without the clutch once).

A decent tug on the release, locked and unlocked the car, then plugged in and heard the latch.

Thanks! I'll keep an eye on it and head to Hyundai as appropriate.

• Registered Users Posts: 86 ✭✭Efitz2019

Travelling from Waterford to Carraroe Galway tomorrow. It’s a 300km journey. How far between stops would you recommend? Car shows 240km fully charged.

I find a better route planner to be pretty accurate generally:

I find a better route planner to be pretty accurate generally:

Edit adding smaller file size pic

Edit adding smaller file size pic

3rd times a charm...

Efitz2019 wrote: »
    Travelling from Waterford to Carraroe Galway tomorrow. It’s a 300km journey.

If you've destination charging on arrival, i.e. you can arrive at a low SoC, I'd consider travelling via Limerick & making just one stop. N roads to Limerick, efficiency will be good & you'll have options of a charge in Limerick, Shannon or Ennis - Shannon is probably the easiest & quickest to access, with a CircleK & McDonalds there too for a pit stop.

:).

• Registered Users Posts: 86 ✭✭Efitz2019

Thanks for the replies. I’ll download the better route planner it will come in handy. I was thinking of heading to the fast charger near Shannon airport but I’m not sure how reliable or busy it is. So I’ll probably head up through Limerick. Yeah I should be able to granny charge at the house. I was going to try drive 200km and then charge but that’s probably too risky. So I’ll charge around the 150/160km mark. It’s going to be an interesting week. First time taking the car to the west of Ireland. Galway could do with a few extra chargers!

Efitz2019 wrote: »
    Thanks for the replies. I’ll download the better route planner it will come in handy. I was thinking of heading to the fast charger near Shannon airport but I’m not sure how reliable or busy it is. So I’ll probably head up through Limerick. Yeah I should be able to granny charge at the house. I was going to try drive 200km and then charge but that’s probably too risky. So I’ll charge around the 150/160km mark. It’s going to be an interesting week. First time taking the car to the west of Ireland. Galway could do with a few extra chargers!

I did cork to Galway and back last year. Shannon is very easily accessed, Limerick was a bit out of the way and felt busier (as I was monitoring charge points as I drove).

• Registered Users Posts: 4,563 ✭✭✭eagerv

Was playing around with the Sat Nav this evening on the wifes' Ioniq after getting the latest updates recently. Not sure if it was available before, but you can have your GPS speed above the speed limit sign now. Handy. Also a few different colour schemes.
    Anyone know if you can show altitude? The Garmin system on my Honda has it which I like.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,477 ✭✭✭JohnC.

Is it actually GPS speed? I understand Kia and Hyundai use the same system and I tried turning on that feature in my Niro, but it showed identical speed as the speedometer.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement