Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Hyundai Ioniq 28kWh

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 65,741 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

ELM327 wrote: »
    I think you can actually regen more (in terms of kW/C rate)than you can put in on DC charging too.

Good point, forgot about that. I think I remember people having recorded a regen of over 100kW, which would be pushing 4C :eek:

Obviously only for a brief moment though. For comparison the battery cells I am currently working with in my project are LiFePo4 cells that can handle 2C continous and 3C for 30 minutes

• Moderators Posts: 12,385 ✭✭✭✭Black_Knight

unkel wrote: »
    Good point, forgot about that. I think I remember people having recorded a regen of over 100kW, which would be pushing 4C :eek:

Obviously only for a brief moment though. For comparison the battery cells I am currently working with in my project are LiFePo4 cells that can handle 2C continous and 3C for 30 minutes

Think Torque exposes a "max regen" value of 98kW or something like that. I actually ment to check this morning after a 100% charge if it is reduced when the battery is "full".

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,496 ✭✭✭irishgrover

All, has anyone a link to s bluetooth dongle that explicitly works with the ioniq. I had one that I bought for a previous car and it worked perfectly. However I temp put it in my wife's car and sold it (the car).
    I've bought 2 dongles off amazon and both will connect to phone buy neither will send data to torque pro or to EVnotify.
    So the specific ask is does anyone have a link to a obd2 bluetooth dongle that they have bought and works in the ioniq

All, has anyone a link to s bluetooth dongle that explicitly works with the ioniq. I had one that I bought for a previous car and it worked perfectly. However I temp put it in my wife's car and sold it (the car).
    I've bought 2 dongles off amazon and both will connect to phone buy neither will send data to torque pro or to EVnotify.
    So the specific ask is does anyone have a link to a obd2 bluetooth dongle that they have bought and works in the ioniq

This is the one I bought last year, but it was £10 at the time:
    https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B00PJPHEBO

Think Torque exposes a "max regen" value of 98kW or something like that. I actually ment to check this morning after a 100% charge if it is reduced when the battery is "full".

Yes regen would be reduced / disabled on pretty much all EVs when the battery is full. I don't like it, makes your car feel like an ICE again :p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,442 ✭✭✭embraer170

From what year is the Ioniq Apple CarPlay compatible?

I am still hesitating between a new Model 3 and a 2017/2018 Ioniq. I’d love a Model 3 but €45k still seems to be a huge amount to spend on a car.

All Ioniqs have Android auto and Apple carplay as standard

embraer170 wrote: »
    From what year is the Ioniq Apple CarPlay compatible?

I am still hesitating between a new Model 3 and a 2017/2018 Ioniq. I’d love a Model 3 but €45k still seems to be a huge amount to spend on a car.

48k, no?

Not really comparable cars though. Big spec difference between them. If you go model 3, you'll be hard pushed to ever buy a lower spec'd car. Could be a pricey move in more than one way.

Think it was high 80s when I got down a decent few %. Max regen was 50kW at 100%, which I thought was pretty high

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,227 ✭✭✭Kramer

embraer170 wrote: »

The Ioniq 28 was a very well specced car in fairness. 2019 onwards had privacy glass, a heated steering wheel & wasn't missing much to be honest.
    It is a lot of car for half the price :).

And playing with the autopilot 1 in my loaner Tesla Model S for the last 2 days, it's slightly better and it works below 60km/h (unlike Ioniq), but the nagging is as bad and it actually disables for the rest of the journey if you don't regularly touch the steering wheel. Which is pretty annoying. That said, I find it a better system than the autopilot with hardware 2.5 / 3 in the Model 3

Like you say, Ioniq 28 was great value for money, and dare I say it: the Tesla Model 3 base model is not really that great for the money at nearly double the price

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,236 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

And playing with the autopilot 1 in my loaner Tesla Model S for the last 2 days, it's slightly better and it works below 60km/h (unlike Ioniq), but the nagging is as bad and it actually disables for the rest of the journey if you don't regularly touch the steering wheel. Which is pretty annoying. That said, I find it a better system than the autopilot with hardware 2.5 / 3 in the Model 3

Like you say, Ioniq 28 was great value for money, and dare I say it: the Tesla Model 3 base model is not really that great for the money at nearly double the price

This is pure eu nonsense btw, even when I got my car to now, the nag has increased.
    In the US the same system can run for 5-10 mins in slow traffic or 3 mins on highway without intervention.

Agree with you on the pros and cons of AP1 vs >AP2.X

This is pure eu nonsense btw, even when I got my car to now, the nag has increased.
    In the US the same system can run for 5-10 mins in slow traffic or 3 mins on highway without intervention.

Ah yeah that makes sense. Software updates killing it. I don't remember it being this naggy at all the last few times I tried AP1

I've had my ioniq initiate CC in 5-10kph traffic. The car in front needs to be increasing its distance from you in order to initiate it, but I find it super convenient on this one particular bumper to bumper bridge I regularly use.

ACC works (obviously!) at low speeds and it is very handy in busy slow start stop traffic like on the M50 during peak hours. But LKAS does not work in start stop traffic. Mind even with ACC, you will have to get the car going yourself once stopped for more than a couple of seconds. It is far superior and less annoying though if the car does that itself (like Tesla)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,887 ✭✭✭zg3409

I had zero regen when battery was full and nearly crashed in my housing estate. I always kept regen on and set the same so when it suddenly was off one morning I got a fright. This has not happened since so it might be only when battery is very very full for a limited temperature window.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 8,061 Mod ✭✭✭✭liamog

zg3409 wrote: »
    I had zero regen when battery was full and nearly crashed in my housing estate. I always kept regen on and set the sane so when it suddenly was off one morning I got a fright. Thus has not happened since so it might be only when battery is very very full for a limited temperature window.

Pretty much exactly what it does, I think it's between 80% and 100% displayed state of charge, the regen is restricted. If you only use level 0, you won't notice it at all, as you'll just end up using the brake pads instead.

liamog wrote: »
    Pretty much exactly what it does, I think it's between 80% and 100% displayed state of charge, the regen is restricted. If you only use level 0, you won't notice it at all, as you'll just end up using the brake pads instead.

Level 0 means when coasting you won't regen, but using the brake pedal will regen. Only time i've not been able to regen is on bad roads when braking. I guess the jolting about on bumpy roads disengages the regen and you switch to brakes. Can't say it's a nice experience, brakes always feel a bit numb in those scenarios.

ACC works (obviously!) at low speeds and it is very handy in busy slow start stop traffic like on the M50 during peak hours. But LKAS does not work in start stop traffic. Mind even with ACC, you will have to get the car going yourself once stopped for more than a couple of seconds. It is far superior and less annoying though if the car does that itself (like Tesla)

As you say, 2/3 the car for 1/2 the price.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 8,061 Mod ✭✭✭✭liamog

I guess the jolting about on bumpy roads disengages the regen and you switch to brakes. Can't say it's a nice experience, brakes always feel a bit numb in those scenarios.

Yeah, I think when traction control intervenes it cuts out the regen which leads to an unusual feeling on the brakes, I've found when the car has reduced regen and is expecting it, you end up with a much better driving feel.

• Advertisement

As you say, 2/3 the car for 1/2 the price.

When we sold Ioniq, my wife was quite reluctant to let it go and she said it was the best car we ever had. And that's coming from a long line of refined higher end saloons: BMW, Mercedes, Saab, Rover, Jaguar. All of them petrol and many of them with more than 4 cylinders.

Had a nice spin in the car yesterday. First time in a long long time going out of range and I must say all was hassle free. Cork-> dungarvan -> Cork and back to dungarvan straight away. Nothing excessive, but left dungarvan with about 120km on the gom, after a few pitstops in Cork I arrived at Frankfield hill charger with 12% (zero anxiety) and using torque I predicted I'd need 12kWh in the battery to get back to dungarvan. I should of trusted myself, as I put 13kWh in in 16 minutes (105km on the gom) and arrived back to dungarvan with 25km on the gom. Granny cable overnight then.

This a great wee car.

I was offered the use of 2 ice cars because I'd not have the range, but no, happy to wait 16 minutes for the comfort of the ioniq.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,306 ✭✭✭Zamboni

I have now been an owner of a 2017 Ioniq for a full week! (boardsie pre-owned)
    Coming from an L24, I have to say I am over the moon with the Ioniq. I’ve already done long distance journeys over 300km one way and charging is fantastic. It’s nice to drive on motorways without crawling and constantly checking the GOM.
    Unreal car and I don’t see myself changing for a long, long time.
    I still love the Leaf and the missus has one but I won’t miss mine that much.

And I see Kramer's car has finally gone sale agreed. To me it's a miracle why that car did not sell quicker. A one year old Ioniq electric for €23k in superb condition with some nice aftermarket extras. Black is a great colour on them too.

And I see Kramer's car has finally gone sale agreed. To me it's a miracle why that car did not sell quicker. A one year old Ioniq electric for €23k in superb condition with some nice aftermarket extras. Black is a great colour on them too.

Baffling. When I bought mine 2 year old ioniqs were 22-23k, in white! (Though I do think it looks well in white, I'm biased, but I did pass on a silver one for less money with less miles so I'm committed to my bias).

Covid didn't help the sale I guess, but never expected it to hang around that long.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 19,197 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

Was that the second gen model?

No. Second gen (38kWh) is only from 2020 and pretty much nobody is buying one because they are way overpriced. Doesn't help either that despite their bigger battery, they would be slower on a long journey because of their pathetic fast charging speed.

• Registered Users Posts: 55 ✭✭cluaindiuic

Baffling. When I bought mine 2 year old ioniqs were 22-23k, in white! (Though I do think it looks well in white, I'm biased, but I did pass on a silver one for less money with less miles so I'm committed to my bias).

Covid didn't help the sale I guess, but never expected it to hang around that long.

My old car is also sold.

My old car is also sold.

That was me :)
    I will take good care of her.

Indeed, car sales have collapsed with Covid. I was tempted by Kramer's car but ultimately I couldn't justify the price difference compared to a 2017.
    Lovely car though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,136 ✭✭✭✭KCross

No. Second gen (38kWh) is only from 2020 and pretty much nobody is buying one because they are way overpriced. Doesn't help either that despite their bigger battery, they would be slower on a long journey because of their pathetic fast charging speed.

I dont know about that.

They seem to be selling alright relative to the 28kWh version.

Last few years...

2017 223
    2018 93
    2019 122
    2020 189 (And thats just upto Aug 2020).

Zamboni wrote: »
    Indeed, car sales have collapsed with Covid.

It is definitely a buyers market right now.

Next year could be even more challenging if a recession bites peoples pockets and they start hoarding what money they have.

KCross wrote: »

Next year could be even more challenging if a recession bites peoples pockets and they start hoarding what money they have.

The only flip side is the potential closure of the UK as a source of second hand cars, we could see a situation next year where for EVs the price doesn't change as the second hand market is so small anyway. We should start to see Kona's reaching the end of their 3 year PCPs, so I expect to start seeing them pop up more regularly, there were 302 registered in January '19

I dont know about that.

They seem to be selling alright relative to the 28kWh version.

Last few years...

2017 223
    2018 93
    2019 122
    2020 189 (And thats just upto Aug 2020).

Well that's me proven wrong then. You got the facts there :D

I don't really know what to say. I guess the figures for the Ioniq classic would have been much higher if there had been more availability. And I guess a lot of the 2017 cars were bought on PCP and people have rolled into a new contract in 2020. A few of the regulars here have done just that. And of course back in 2017 people looked at you if you had 7 heads if you told them you bought an EV. Now nearly everybody knows their next car or the one after that will be electric

I haven't changed my opinion though, the Ioniq 38kWh is poor value for money. In a sea of poor value for money EVs, with only a few exceptions...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,434 ✭✭✭September1

I guess the figures for the Ioniq classic would have been much higher if there had been more availability.

I'm not sure, I think read somewhere here that dealers were eager to make pretty good deals and Hyundai would even allow scrappage scheme to be used - that does not sound like high demand vehicle tactics.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,236 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

There were ex demos selling for higher than RRP for a new model for a good 18 months. The car could not be got for love nor money.
    As you will be aware, Unkel's deal was before this.

September1 wrote: »
    I'm not sure, I think read somewhere here that dealers were eager to make pretty good deals and Hyundai would even allow scrappage scheme to be used - that does not sound like high demand vehicle tactics.

That was only at the very start. I bought mine in mid January 2017 and the dealer (one of the biggest Hyundai dealers in Ireland) had not yet sold a single one. They knew nothing about the car apart from thinking it wouldn't sell. And the deals were mostly because Hyundai Ireland had a generous €4k scrappage scheme available on all cars. And of course the €10k subsidy that works very hard on a €40k before subsidy car :D

Personally I got a very good deal because I used scrappage (on our family car that was about to be scrapped). And I am good at negotiating and I also put a lot of work into it. I contacted every Hyundai dealer in Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,434 ✭✭✭September1

There were ex demos selling for higher than RRP for a new model for a good 18 months. The car could not be got for love nor money.
    As you will be aware, Unkel's deal was before this.

Indeed you are correct, as time passed it became much more desirable - but initially it did not do that well. Maybe second generation will follow similar pattern...

I think problems with Ioniq debut were related to LEAF, which looked way more competitive on paper. Hyundai did honest battery capacity 28kWh vs 30kWh in LEAF, also rated range in Ioniq was way more honest than in LEAF.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,238 ✭✭✭Orebro

I was certain the Ioniq40 was going to be my next car, until the rapid charging speed was revealed, it really is terrible.

• Advertisement

I haven't changed my opinion though, the Ioniq 38kWh is poor value for money. In a sea of poor value for money EVs, with only a few exceptions...

Agreed. However, I think we will need to readjust our price expectations. I cant really see EV's getting significantly cheaper over the next decade.... economies of scale will reduce price and removal of incentives will counteract it.

There is alot of efficiency improvements required to counteract a €10k incentive that the Irish government give before you start the make the cars cheaper.

I can see OEM's also keeping the price higher due to the reduced service/parts costs which are a key revenue stream for them on ICE that will now start to dry up, so they need to front load their sales price to make up for that lost revenue.

TL;DR.... in my opinion we need to get used to the prices as they are today.

...We should start to see Kona's reaching the end of their 3 year PCPs, so I expect to start seeing them pop up more regularly, there were 302 registered in January '17

But they were not EVs

slave1 wrote: »
    But they were not EVs

Yep, I had a complete booboo there, it was Jan'19 when the Kona came out, so probably late '21 early '22 before we start seeing them hit the market.

I think the sweet spot is an early new model Ioniq, I let a £23.5k one slip last week. No other great value out there at the minute.

Yep, I had a complete booboo there, it was Jan'19 when the Kona came out, so probably late '21 early '22 before we start seeing them hit the market.

Wonder how they'll price from dealers, or what their GMFV is/was. Kona electrics seem to be depreciating up to 20% in their first year.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,042 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

Is it?

I have been considering changing up from a 2014 Leaf to maybe one with a bigger battery or an Ioniq. Maybe around the 2017 mark.

But I can't justify the cost at present as the price of the cars I'm looking at are far too much compared to what id get for my Leaf to pull the trigger.

• Advertisement

NIMAN wrote: »
    Is it?

I have been considering changing up from a 2014 Leaf to maybe one with a bigger battery or an Ioniq. Maybe around the 2017 mark.

But I can't justify the cost at present as the price of the cars I'm looking at are far too much compared to what id get for my Leaf to pull the trigger.

Because it's a buyers market.

18k for a 3 year old Ioniq is great value. Unfortunately others are looking for great value from your 2014 Leaf.

Because it's a buyers market.

18k for a 3 year old Ioniq is great value. Unfortunately others are looking for great value from your 2014 Leaf.

I might agree with you if you could show me All the 2017 Ioniqs for 18k.

The cheapest I can see on DD is 19300 and a private sale...the cheapest from dealers are nearly 20k and some dealers are even 22k.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,111 ✭✭✭✭listermint

I might agree with you if you could show me All the 2017 Ioniqs for 18k.

The cheapest I can see on DD is 19300 and a private sale...the cheapest from dealers are nearly 20k and some dealers are even 22k.

Offer them a hard 18k then private sale...

The cheapest I can see on DD is 19300 and a private sale

You're not looking very hard :p

Here's one from a dealer with an asking price of €17,950

Linky

You'd get that for €17,500 cash if you have no trade in. It's white, but that's a pretty good deal.

You're not looking very hard :p

Here's one from a dealer with an asking price of €17,950

Linky

You'd get that for €17,500 cash if you have no trade in. It's white, but that's a pretty good deal.

Cheers Unkel.
    Not sure why that didn't show in my search.

Not keen on it in white...but a good deal.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement