Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Hyundai Ioniq 28kWh

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 531 ✭✭✭raddo

Hi all, just bought a black 2017 Ioniq 2 weeks ago and I’m really happy with it. I have been using the granny charger but I’m getting a charger installed on Friday.
    I’ve a few questions / queries that ye might be able to help me with.
    My journeys at the moment (working from home) are very short. I charged with the granny cable to 100% last Wednesday and charged again on Monday when I got down to 21%.
    What would be the optimal charging point / range? ie charge at 20% or should I leave it go closer to 0%?
    Is it better to keep it topped up every day, 80% to 100%?
    The max range I have seen is 208km, does that seem low or is it just lower at lower temps?
    Any other basic info / tips would be great

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 65,741 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

Well wear! Ioniq is a great car.

Ioniq battery setup is very good and the car suffers very little degradation. As any other decent EV, Ioniq has a well working battery management system that makes sure you can't abuse the battery no matter what you do. It won't let the battery go down to 0% and it won't let you charge to 100%, it has buffers at both ends. If you charge it to 100% it is really only about 95%. And vice versa, if you let it go down to 0% it really still is about 5%. It also heats / cools the battery where appropriate

Technically it is best if you keep your battery state of charge between 25% and 75% in ideal circumstances, it will last 50 years and will still have most of its capacity. In practice, charge whenever you like and whenever is most convenient, your battery will be fine and you have an 8 year warranty on it anyway. The only exception to this is if you are going to not use the car for a long time (think months) then don't leave it fully charged or completely empty

• Moderators Posts: 12,385 ✭✭✭✭Black_Knight

raddo wrote: »
    Hi all, just bought a black 2017 Ioniq 2 weeks ago and I’m really happy with it. I have been using the granny charger but I’m getting a charger installed on Friday.
    I’ve a few questions / queries that ye might be able to help me with.
    My journeys at the moment (working from home) are very short. I charged with the granny cable to 100% last Wednesday and charged again on Monday when I got down to 21%.
    What would be the optimal charging point / range? ie charge at 20% or should I leave it go closer to 0%?
    Is it better to keep it topped up every day, 80% to 100%?
    The max range I have seen is 208km, does that seem low or is it just lower at lower temps?
    Any other basic info / tips would be great

208km is fine. All depends what type driving you're doing, but for me, half the time i'm driving like I stole it (hills involved), and getting around 15.5kWh/100km, and an indicated range of 190km with the heating on auto these cold mornings. It was up around 230km or more during the summer, while I was being a bit more gentle with it.

Tips? Not much.
    Style
    You can wrap the front and rear bumper if you don't like the look. Under €200 I think when I did it (I tinted windows too).

Servicing
    Shop around for servicing when the time comes. Some dealers can have quite inflated prices for very little work involved.
    Brakes seem to wear very lightly, since most the braking is done by regen.
    If your charge port stops locking the cable in place (and thus not charging) get onto Hyundai. You'll likely need a "modified charge port actuator" to replace your current one. There was an official recall which many have had done, but it didn't work and I and others have had to get this modified part to replace it.

Storage
    The boot floor can come out if you need some extra storage.
    There's no unofficial frunk as far as I know.

Charging
    Fast charging will slow down to around 25kW at 80%, so it's mostly a waste of time charging after than unless you need it.
    Fast charging at high powered charge stations (ionity or the few high powered ESB ones) will charge at somewhere between 62-69kW up to 80%. Worth about 6 minutes compared to the ESB 50kW units when charging from very low %.
    Fast charging will stop the session at 94%.
    There's a button at your right knee which overrides the scheduled AC charging settings. Very useful if you're topping up during the day (I didn't know about it for months)

Aside from that, do the maths on switching to a night rate. It's most likely worth your while switching, even with low mileage.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,236 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

My ioniq showed 165 on the gom but still took >28kWh to fill. It's about driving style.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,190 ✭✭✭quenching

I'd welcome some advice on ensuring a UK import is still covered by the Hyundai warranty please.

I'm assuming the warranty on a UK car covers a new owner in Ireland, but what are the servicing requirements to keep it in warranty? Is a stamped service history required or is that even sufficient proof for a Hyundai dealer to carry out warranty work if needed?

I'm looking at a 2017/18 UK import, approx 40k miles, Premium spec. Anything in particular I should check?

• Advertisement

quenching wrote: »
    I'd welcome some advice on ensuring a UK import is still covered by the Hyundai warranty please.

I'm assuming the warranty on a UK car covers a new owner in Ireland, but what are the servicing requirements to keep it in warranty? Is a stamped service history required or is that even sufficient proof for a Hyundai dealer to carry out warranty work if needed?

I'm looking at a 2017/18 UK import, approx 40k miles, Premium spec. Anything in particular I should check?

Check what recalls is has had done.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,227 ✭✭✭Kramer

You'll always be stuck with a UK/mph speedo. It's not possible to change it to km/h. Personally, that would drive me nuts.

If you're not 100% set on the leather interior, I'd say there's just as good value available here now.
    Just for comparison:

https://www.electricautos.ie/vehicles/hyundai/ioniq/kildare/2656976

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,236 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

Yeah, thats an important point, you can never fully change to km

Kramer wrote: »
    You'll always be stuck with a UK/mph speedo. It's not possible to change it to km/h. Personally, that would drive me nuts.

If you're not 100% set on the leather interior, I'd say there's just as good value available here now.
    Just for comparison:

https://www.electricautos.ie/vehicles/hyundai/ioniq/kildare/2656976

Thanks for that, I've lived with a mph speedo in a UK Outlander for a few years now, as long as I can see both I'm ok with that.

Any thoughts on the warranty query?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,644 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

Wouldn't bother me in the slightest who looks at it anyway....

Insurance shouldn't be an issue but shop around and check with your own as some get a bit temperamental if it's a UK import, keep service as per schedule and all genuine parts and they will have to cover under warranty....

• Advertisement

Any thoughts on the warranty query?

Our Ioniq was bought new here & the dealer always made a point of saying the services were recorded electronically when I asked why they hadn't completed the service book! As it was destined to be sold after a year, I had them stamp the book every time.

It's possible UK dealers would be similar & keep electronic records, but I'd insist on a completed service book to ensure you'd maintain full warranty here.

Hyundai don't seem to be too bad IMO, but I've heard of higher end marques being difficult with UK imports, because they know these imports are harming Irish sales - i.e. harming them.

If buying from a UK main dealer, with service history proof, I reckon you'd have no issues.
    Check with Black_Knight though - take it to any other another dealer other than the one he deals with - he doesn't get on too well with them :).

Good luck with it anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,238 ✭✭✭Orebro

ELM327 wrote: »
    Yeah, thats an important point, you can never fully change to km

Can you display Kph digitally, even if the speedo is in mph? After driving a Leaf for a few years I personally hate speedos now, love having the Kph displayed digitally at a nice eye height too.

Our Ioniq was bought new here & the dealer always made a point of saying the services were recorded electronically when I asked why they hadn't completed the service book! As it was destined to be sold after a year, I had them stamp the book every time.

It's possible UK dealers would be similar & keep electronic records, but I'd insist on a completed service book to ensure you'd maintain full warranty here.

Hyundai don't seem to be too bad IMO, but I've heard of higher end marques being difficult with UK imports, because they know these imports are harming Irish sales - i.e. harming them.

If buying from a UK main dealer, with service history proof, I reckon you'd have no issues.
    Check with Black_Knight though - take it to any other another dealer other than the one he deals with - he doesn't get on too well with them :).

Good luck with it anyway.

Thanks, that's very helpful. There seems to be a lot of Ioniqs imported from the UK so I'm sure its fine, but I'll make sure to have get a stamped service book, and check with Hyundai too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,496 ✭✭✭irishgrover

Re Warranty: I've imported one and had warranty work done without problem (charge port actuator)
    Re Speedo: There is a km speedo on all screens but it is smaller than the mph equivalent.
    In addition, the consumption stays in miles - specifically miles per kWh.
    The range on speedo also stays in miles
    The range on the central screen changes to KM.
    The ODO stays in miles.

Personally, I drive mostly in sports mode - and that probably has the biggest KPH readout.

Re Warranty: I've imported one and had warranty work done without problem (charge port actuator)
    Re Speedo: There is a km speedo on all screens but it is smaller than the mph equivalent.
    In addition, the consumption stays in miles - specifically miles per kWh.
    The range on speedo also stays in miles
    The range on the central screen changes to KM.
    The ODO stays in miles.

Personally, I drive mostly in sports mode - and that probably has the biggest KPH readout.

Thanks for that. Did Hyundai need any proof of service history before doing the warranty work?

Thanks for that. Did Hyundai need any proof of service history before doing the warranty work?

All I know is that I was not asked for nor provided any. However I had been getting my car serviced in another dealership in Ireland so they may have ad access to same

There is no service book with the Ioniq. All services are recorded in Hyundai's online system only. I have no doubt that all UK service history will be there when you bring a UK car to an Irish dealer.

Several people in here got UK cars, I do not remember reading about any issue with them for recalls / warranty work. There shouldn't be as that would be illegal. UK warranty is valid throughout the EU

Hope that eases your mind! You thinking about upgrading to Ioniq? You have a Leaf now if I remember right? Go test drive an Ioniq from your nearest Hyundai dealer and see what you think

unkel wrote: »
    There is no service book with the Ioniq.

Said unequivocally & with authority. As Borat would say - I like :D..

Unfortunately though, you're wrong :(.
    Our Ioniq........the dealer always made a point of saying the services were recorded electronically when I asked why they hadn't completed the service book! As it was destined to be sold after a year, I had them stamp the book every time.

IMpKk9X.jpg
    C5nEr8D.jpg

These are my pictures, from my Ioniq, I posted here a few months ago BTW, when I offered it for sale.
    It's now sold, but the fond memories remain :pac:.

That's interesting. Never got one with mine. And I observed many times that they looked up stuff about my car (including on previous recalls that were done) while looking at their screen.

Maybe it's a Dublin thing. With the culchies a few years behind :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,819 ✭✭✭Silent Running

That's interesting. Never got one with mine. And I observed many times that they looked up stuff about my car (including on previous recalls that were done) while looking at their screen.

Well I got my Ioniq in Dublin, and I had a service booklet. I remember having to get the dealer to fill in the paintwork warranty bit after stamping the book for a service.

• Advertisement

Bolands waterford never added it to my book either when I bought off them. Rang em up a few months later and they confirmed it's all electronically stored, but sent out an email to me basically stating the service had been complete, and I could get the book stamped next time i'm passing... ie. never.

Oh, and consistent as ever Kearys didn't stamp it either. I knew they wouldn't so I walked back in with the book and they did no bother.

• Registered Users Posts: 111 ✭✭jeremy_g

yes, indeed. Now all the services are registered online in Hyundai database. the service book is just duplicate for "non techie people" peace of mind :)

jeremy_g wrote: »
    yes, indeed. Now all the services are registered online in Hyundai database. the service book is just duplicate for "non techie people" peace of mind :)

:D

For Kramer c.s. :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 296 ✭✭AhHaor

Is there an update to remember what driving mode you want, hate that it defaults back to normal each time. And can auto hold be remembered?

• Registered Users Posts: 111 ✭✭jeremy_g

AhHaor wrote: »
    Is there an update to remember what driving mode you want, hate that it defaults back to normal each time. And can auto hold be remembered?

that is only if you choose Sport. should you drive in Normal or ECO it remembers after when you start the car again. I guess their reasoning is to make you drive in sports as little as possible to save energy :D

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 8,061 Mod ✭✭✭✭liamog

that is only if you choose Sport. should you drive in Normal or ECO it remembers after when you start the car again. I guess their reasoning is to make you drive in sports as little as possible to save energy :D

I was told (by more than one manufacturer) its to do with the test cycles, if the car can remember the mode then it can be officially tested in that mode. So by switching back to normal/eco they can avoid having a certified range in sport mode.

Quick query on my 28kwh Ioniq.
    In the centre speedometer (ECO and Normal mode) I have the range of km's and under it the regenerative battery level.
    My digital speed is displayed on the right hand side of the panel.
    But I have seen pictures where the digital speed is displayed between the km's range and the regenerative battery level.
    How do I turn this on??

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 8,061 Mod ✭✭✭✭liamog

That's the main reason we use sport mode in the Ioniq, as far as I know it's the only way to put the digital speed in the middle.

Correction. The main reason we use sport mode is because it's the only way to get half decent performance out of the car :p

• Advertisement

Correction. The main reason we use sport mode is because it's the only way to get half decent performance out of the car :p

Pfft, that's what the Mini has Sport Mode for :D

The MINI has decent performance. Not half decent :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,819 ✭✭✭Silent Running

Or, if you're selling the car privately or trading in to a different manufacturer, you can show that the car's been serviced.

Imagine going to look at a car and the fella says "yeah, full service history". Would you believe him if he had a blank service book?

But I have seen pictures where the digital speed is displayed between the km's range and the regenerative battery level.
    How do I turn this on??

Pics or GTFO!

I know in sport mode you get the speedo digital display in the middle of the dash, but in sport mode you don't get what i'm going to attempt to draw.

Crude attempt of drawing the dash.
    ..   /    Range     \  120 \
     / .  (     Speed       )      \ 
    / ..   \ Regen level   /   ..   \

You get:
    ..   /             \  120 \
     / .  (     Range       )      \ 

Pics or GTFO!

I know in sport mode you get the speedo digital display in the middle of the dash, but in sport mode you don't get what i'm going to attempt to draw.

You get:

That’s it exactly!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,081 ✭✭✭fricatus

If it's what I think it is, then it's in one of the menus accessible via the buttons on the right-hand side of the steering wheel.

There's a menu item that displays tyre pressure, then if you toggle down or up using the +/- key, from memory it displays Trip A, Trip B, and then speed, before toggling back to tyre pressure.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 296 ✭✭AhHaor

Thanks for responses, on the auto hold, can that be remembered or do I have to activate each time?

fricatus wrote: »
    If it's what I think it is, then it's in one of the menus accessible via the buttons on the right-hand side of the steering wheel.

There's a menu item that displays tyre pressure, then if you toggle down or up using the +/- key, from memory it displays Trip A, Trip B, and then speed, before toggling back to tyre pressure.

No, I have that speed read out already. It’s as per the picture I’ve attached.
    Just a generic pic from the net.

No, I have that speed read out already. It’s as per the picture I’ve attached.
    Just a generic pic from the net.

Maybe the UK ones show km/HR there. Irish ones certainly don't

There is no service book with the Ioniq. All services are recorded in Hyundai's online system only. I have no doubt that all UK service history will be there when you bring a UK car to an Irish dealer.

Several people in here got UK cars, I do not remember reading about any issue with them for recalls / warranty work. There shouldn't be as that would be illegal. UK warranty is valid throughout the EU

Hope that eases your mind! You thinking about upgrading to Ioniq? You have a Leaf now if I remember right? Go test drive an Ioniq from your nearest Hyundai dealer and see what you think

Planing on changing from a Leaf to Ioniq alright, I have driven one and it was fine, I didn’t find it very different from the Leaf really. I hoping the Ionia will do me for a 165km occasional trip, 95% motorway. I’m happy to plod along at 100-110kph for these trips. I don’t think a 30kw Leaf will manage this without stopping mid journey.

BTW, I’m told the the overnight charging speed can be changed from 6kw to 3kw (or thereabouts) via a menu in the car. Is that standard on all Ioniqs, think I’ll be getting a UK Premium spec.

Planing on changing from a Leaf to Ioniq alright, I have driven one and it was fine, I didn’t find it very different from the Leaf really. I hoping the Ionia will do me for a 165km occasional trip, 95% motorway. I’m happy to plod along at 100-110kph for these trips. I don’t think a 30kw Leaf will manage this without stopping mid journey.

BTW, I’m told the the overnight charging speed can be changed from 6kw to 3kw (or thereabouts) via a menu in the car. Is that standard on all Ioniqs, think I’ll be getting a UK Premium spec.

Pretty sure it's standard. 165km should be grand. I do cork to dungarvan and back (160km) from time to time. Summer is a breeze, winter is tight, but doable. They're national roads though, only a few km of motorway.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,563 ✭✭✭eagerv

The missus in her Ioniq28 does a regular trip from home west Co Wexford to our daughter in Tallaght. About 150 km, she doesn't think twice about it, leaves the range anxiety to me, lol. Usually has between 35 and 65 km remaining. (Just asked her). About half 80 km/h or less and remainder motorway.(And she ain't slow..:))
    She normally stays overnight and granny charges, but if coming home same day drops into Lidl up there.

sorry lads - should have shared earlier
    https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/attachment.php?attachmentid=449314&d=1524766502
    https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/attachment.php?attachmentid=449315&d=1524766502
    Pics or GTFO!

You get:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,243 ✭✭✭loopymum

A few questions for the experts please, I'm hoping to upgrade next year, perhaps to an ioniq

The end of the warrantly on the car will be ending less than a year after I buy in most cases of the 2017 models, obviously dependant on what I buy. I know the drivetrain and battery is 8 years and mileage dependant.
    What kinds of recalls and should I be checking have been done etc? Should I buy a newer then? Looking at the moment and price differential seems to be at least 120+ per month newer? Is it worth it?

loopymum wrote: »
    A few questions for the experts please, I'm hoping to upgrade next year, perhaps to an ioniq

The end of the warrantly on the car will be ending less than a year after I buy in most cases of the 2017 models, obviously dependant on what I buy. I know the drivetrain and battery is 8 years and mileage dependant.
    What kinds of recalls and should I be checking have been done etc? Should I buy a newer then? Looking at the moment and price differential seems to be at least 120+ per month newer? Is it worth it?

I've a 2017 for the last 18+ months (68k km on it). Biggest issue i've had is the charge port actuator. It was a recall, it got recalled, but it failed again and Hyundai took a long time to sort it for me (free under warranty). For others it took no time at all to be fixed. The 2nd failure is not a recall, so I guess if it happens out of warranty it's out of your own pocket, or maybe Hyundai Ireland will recognised it - They've replace mine with a "modified actuator port", so they've specifically manufactured a new actuator port because of this issue.

Make sure all the software versions are up to date (search this thread, you'll find an image recently enough).

Other recalls on a 2017 were:
    Rear spring break
    Usb charger port
    EPCU (electrical power control unit)

I know of 1 2017 WX reg sold by Bolands Waterford (it's now in Cork) which has had it's high voltage battery replaced under warranty.

IMO, buy a 2017, or splash out on a 2018 if you find one with a colour you prefer, but don't pay over the odds for it. Keep an eye here on the for sale thread, as lots of us have Ioniqs and I get the impression we all treat them well.

• Registered Users Posts: 86 ✭✭Efitz2019

Had my head unit updated yesterday while car was being serviced. If anyone needs the details they are in the picture. My 191 was running software and maps from 2018 so it’s a nice update.

Had my head unit updated while car was being serviced. If anyone needs the details they are in the picture. My 191 was running software and maps from 2018.

Efitz2019 wrote: »
    Had my head unit updated while car was being serviced. If anyone needs the details they are in the picture. My 191 was running software and maps from 2018.

Are you down under in Australia though?

:D.

Efitz2019 wrote: »

Any noticeable differences, side from your head unit being upside down now?

Haha sorry about that don’t know why it went upside down. Not sure of any new features but it looks better than previous version. Has updated the speed limits signs as some of the roads I drive had changed. Also has some of the motorway upgrades that the old version was missing. Haven’t had a chance to check it out properly. Will do later.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement