Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Hyundai Ioniq 28kWh

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,122 ✭✭✭BigAl81

K, so...

Was all set to pull the trigger on upgrading the Ioniq to an eNiro when someone (hi Scott!!) put me in touch with a dealer who's offered 24k EUR as a trade in for my 191 Ioniq with 35k Kms on the clock! Yep, 24k, that's not a typo!!

I paid 26k for the Ioniq 2 years ago so really couldn't afford not to go for this!

Blue Betty will be sitting on my drive in two weeks with cost to change of 9,999 euro to good to pass up.

536567.jpg

Pros, a trim level or two up with leather interior, electric seats, and 30% more range, 5 year warranty.

Cons, slower "rapid" charging. In my scenario, the extra range will remove the need to rapid charge about 40 times a year, and add 20 minutes wait time to charging about 4 times a year, so it's still a con, but I'll take it!

The Tesla dream lives on, maybe I'll trade this in in two years for a Model Y :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,227 ✭✭✭Kramer

ELM327 wrote: »
    Dear god man don't inflict a new ioniq on yourself.
    It's such a retrograde step that you'll be telling us you're getting a leaf62 next!
    BigAl81 wrote: »
    Well then... You won't believe what happened next :D :P :eek:

Did you go for the Leaf 62 then?

:p.

I bet you got the new Ioniq - well wear :).

Blue Betty will be sitting on my drive in two weeks with cost to change of 9,999 euro to good to pass up.:D

A no-brainer, as I said previously.

Great deal & well wear :).

Kramer wrote:
    A no-brainer, as I said previously.

Got 2k more on the trade in since then!! It's not an Unkel level bargain but I'm pretty happy with that :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 65,741 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

You did pretty well man, well wear :)

It's a double whammy too. By the time you get to sell it again the next time, you will remember how little you got it for. Buying well is always the key!

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 19,197 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

K, so...

Was all set to pull the trigger on upgrading the Ioniq to an eNiro when someone (hi Scott!!) put me in touch with a dealer who's offered 24k EUR as a trade in for my 191 Ioniq with 35k Kms on the clock! Yep, 24k, that's not a typo!!

I paid 26k for the Ioniq 2 years ago so really couldn't afford not to go for this!

Blue Betty will be sitting on my drive in two weeks with cost to change of 9,999 euro to good to pass up.

Pros, a trim level or two up with leather interior, electric seats, and 30% more range, 5 year warranty.

Cons, slower "rapid" charging. In my scenario, the extra range will remove the need to rapid charge about 40 times a year, and add 20 minutes wait time to charging about 4 times a year, so it's still a con, but I'll take it!

The Tesla dream lives on, maybe I'll trade this in in two years for a Model Y :D

Well done, €10k for a car better in almost every sense apart from rapid (and depending on your driving pattern this could have almost zero impact) charging.
    Lovely colour too, love the deep blues.
    Some photos please when she arrives

• Registered Users Posts: 920 ✭✭✭Macker

Lads any idea what trade in i can expect for my 181 Ioniq ,68 km on the clock ,no finance on it so would a private sale be worth the hassle?

Macker wrote: »
    Lads any idea what trade in i can expect for my 181 Ioniq ,68 km on the clock ,no finance on it so would a private sale be worth the hassle?

I reckon €18k in a private sale, maybe €20k trading in, depending on what you are going for & the wriggle room in that. A Hyundai dealer could be more generous on trade in value against a new Ioniq for example.

Kramer wrote: »
    I reckon €18k in a private sale, maybe €20k trading in, depending on what you are going for & the wriggle room in that. A Hyundai dealer could be more generous on trade in value against a new Ioniq for example.

Niro on the road E38780 ,Model 3 on the Tesla website E39160 ,Kia couldn't give me a trade in value till he sees the car and they have a 500 euro voucher deal ending tomorrow ,is the Model 3 worth the extra few quid? But I believe they are poor when it comes to trade in

Must be a typo, macker? Model 3 is a lot more than 39k

• Advertisement

unkel wrote: »
    Must be a typo, macker? Model 3 is a lot more than 39k
    Thats what I thought

That's the stupid way Tesla take into account fuel savings compared with an ICE car. Misleading advertising, should not be allowed. Price is the other figure of €48k

That's the stupid way Tesla take into account fuel savings compared with an ICE car. Misleading advertising, should not be allowed. Price is the other figure of €48k
    After grant?

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,406 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

After grant?

Sorry misread above, 48k is the after grant price.

Mickeroo wrote: »
    No its after "fuel savings", the 48k is after grant.
    Cheers ,won't be buying it then ,not this time

The thing is I rang Tesla this evening but got an office in England and she quoted me 46780 basic price plus 1100 for metallic paint less 5000 grant which would make it 42880 unless she was quoting me sterling but I told her I was in Dublin

The 5k is already deducted from that price.

The 5k is already deducted from that price.

Thanks Unkel ,eNiro it is then depending on the trade in I'm offered

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,256 Mod ✭✭✭✭charlieIRL

Didn’t know you had an ionic Macker!!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators Posts: 12,385 ✭✭✭✭Black_Knight

charlieIRL wrote: »

Remember we had a list, and we got excited when a new boardsie joined the list... Those were the days.

Wonder how many on that list have migrated away now. Great car, but times are a changing for the innovators to find something newer and shinier. <200km range might not speak to the "early adopters/early majority" any more though.

• Registered Users Posts: 14 Peter_OConnor

Just wanted to say that I have a Niro 3.5 years old from new and was one of the best motor decisions I ever made. Super car for the money which was €29k after grants etc. Crazy to think I can sell it after 5 years and it will still have 2 years warranty left. Secondhand values seem to be way better than I imagined. My only gripe was that in UK they sell more versions and one that included a way better sound system which was not available in Ireland.

I went for the Niro ,17.5 k ,time to pop over to that thread and pester the folks there

charlieIRL wrote: »

Yeah loved driving it for the 3 years I had it ,its a shame the new one wasn't a bit better

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 8,061 Mod ✭✭✭✭liamog

Wifey is still running her Ioniq, more to do with the lack of enticing replacements than anything else. I don't expect her to still have it by the end of 2021!

I went for the Niro ,17.5 k ,time to pop over to that thread and pester the folks there

Well wear. eNiro is an excellent EV, can't really go wrong there.

• Advertisement

Well wear. eNiro is an excellent EV, can't really go wrong there.
    Thanks Unkel ,bought the Ioniq for 25k 3 years ago and got 21k trade in and saved 70 euro a week in diesel :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,184 ✭✭✭k123456

I have a 191 Ioniq

Is this heating behavior normal, or is there a fault

By default the heat defaults to Demist,

When I try to direct to feet and face or feet and demist, the indicator flashes briefly and the system returns to demist only , meaning my feet are not getting warm air

The windscreen is not "fog upped"
    I do not have either of these switches on, front or rear demister
    AC and Heat are switched on

I wonder is the system detecting incorrectly that the windscreen is fogged up, has moisture ?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,563 ✭✭✭eagerv

k123456 wrote: »
    I have a 191 Ioniq

When I try to direct to feet and face or feet and demist, the indicator flashes briefly and the system returns to demist only , meaning my feet are not getting warm air

I wonder is the system detecting incorrectly that the windscreen is fogged up, has moisture ?

Try permanently turning off the auto demist function, I think ours did something similar when we got the car. Can't remember how to turn it off, but presume it's detailed in manual.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,887 ✭✭✭zg3409

k123456 wrote: »
    I have a 191 Ioniq

Same happens on my 171. Heating is set to auto. I tend to like to select recirculation as then it does not take outside air and instead reheats inside air. This heats up inside much quicker when outside air is cold. I think you might be able to turn off auto, but generally I find if I wait a few minutes after driving and then hit recirculation it will allow that option. It seems to only allow front screen demist only for first few minutes presumably using outside air cooled with aircon to give low humidity air to demist front windscreen.

Main downside of recirculation is windows start to mist up, but it also reduces pollution from ICE when stopped at traffic lights etc.

Today my 28kWh range was 164km with outside air of 2 degrees, no preheated cabin nor battery. I typically get 170km range and I drive it like I stole it with mostly high speed motorway at GPS limits.

PS Plugshare app is available as a beta for android auto, so you can find non ESB chargers using the inbuilt infotainment system via android auto on your phone.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 Ire onic

Help! Just bought an ioniq eV and had to take a trip today. Misjudged the range left. It ran out faster than indicated.
    it crawled to a half less than a km from home. Called tow truck and they are on their way. Will we be able to get it into neutral? Tow truck people say they haven't much experience of the Ioniq ev. Plenty with the leaf. I can't even see where to attach a tow rope

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 19,197 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

Generally all EV need to be put on a flatbed and NOT towed, sorry to hear you ran out of juice

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 8,061 Mod ✭✭✭✭liamog

The manual should have a procedure for Emergency towing. Do you have it with you, or I could upload a photo of the page.

I think the manual is in the car. I'm at home while waiting as tow company crazy busy. It's near home so not a problem. I'll Google it there now

I've added them to an album for you https://photos.app.goo.gl/RWFaoiV8F1RS4t8c9

Long story short is, in order of preference :D
    1. Use a Flatbed
    2. One end lifted with a dolly under the other wheel
    3. Car can be towed with the front wheels lifted off the ground, but have to put into neutral (see below)
    4. A tow rope can be used, towing hook is in the boot, and goes into the front bumper on the drivers side, cap should be roughly 20cm away from the licence plate.

To put it in neutral for towing without a dolly, or with a rope. Turn the car on, then hold the brake and shift to neutral. Then turn the car off. This should put the car in ACC mode, and you should be able to release the parking brake.
    Just tested it, and it works on ours.

Thanks Liamog

Car is home and charging now. Tow truck had a large flatbed and it went into neutral and we were able to take off the handbrake.

Ire onic wrote: »
    Car is home and charging now. Tow truck had a large flatbed and it went into neutral and we were able to take off the handbrake.

Glad to hear it all worked out for you in the end.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,819 ✭✭✭Silent Running

I see you were caught by the Ioniq "feature" of the 2 speed GOM. It runs normally for the first half then faster for the second half.

I was nearly caught out with this when I had the car for a 3 day test drive, I just crawled in to Coynes Cross with 6kms left when I thought it would be 25kms when leaving Dublin. It never caught me out after that.

Careful when you just get your new EV! But after a while you get the hang of it. I regularly get home with just 1 or 2 percent left :D

Ire onic wrote: »
    Help! Just bought an ioniq eV and had to take a trip today. Misjudged the range left. It ran out faster than indicated.

Firstly welcome to the club, the Ioniq is a great car for the most part.

Secondly, yep, as mentioned, it's a known issue with the 28kWh Ioniq where the second "half" of the battery is smaller than the first "half" :( I notice this more on colder days. I'd try aim to arrive with 20 to 30kms to spare, so that worst case, you'll crawl home in turtle mode. Stick 110kmph or below on motorways at all times if you need the range, just a few kmph more takes much more energy and I've found it's not worth it.

Had a nightmare trip on new years day got efficiency of 19kWh/100kms so a range for just 147kms to from full to zero!! That's the worst I've ever seen and there was very little wind and no rain. The temperature had hardly gone above 2 degrees C for a few days but that range coupled with 2 broken charges made for a "fun" trip home from christmas.

Range is much better in the summer, where I've driven 230kms on a single charge. Once you start to get over 10 or 12 degrees you'll see the range improve, and as you move more towards 20 degrees, you'll likely see more than 220kms range (assuming your not doing long stretches on the motorway at 120kmph+)

The old...

539254.jpg

The new...

539248.jpg

See ya'll over on the 38kWh thread :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,563 ✭✭✭eagerv

Best of luck, car looks great in blue with light interior. One of the best EVs out there:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,819 ✭✭✭Silent Running

Love that blue!

The car looks much better with the fancy headlights. :cool:

Wear well.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,236 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

you probably know my feelings about the 38 but there's no denying that's a lovely looking car in the blue compared to the white!

you probably know my feelings about the 38

Well I did offer to buy your Tesla :D;):p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,236 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

You did but clearly we had a difference of opinion on the value of my S, your Ioniq28, or both :P
    Anyway, there's always a nice buzz in getting a brand new car, well wear with it!

Fine weather for some 12v issues! Not driven the car in a week, and it's got a low SOC (30+km range) and there today I noticed the wind mirrors open (when the car should of been locked). Tried the key to lock it, nothing. Open it, a little movement and headlights (welcome lights) flash on... And the flicker for a bit.
    Car won't start. So I check the 12v battery, or as it's known right now, the 6v battery! Got it charging up right now but kinda regretting not getting that noco boost car charger now, for instance jump start.

Fine weather for some 12v issues! Not driven the car in a week, and it's got a low SOC (30+km range) and there today I noticed the wind mirrors open (when the car should of been locked). Tried the key to lock it, nothing. Open it, a little movement and headlights (welcome lights) flash on... And the flicker for a bit.
    Car won't start. So I check the 12v battery, or as it's known right now, the 6v battery! Got it charging up right now but kinda regretting not getting that noco boost car charger now, for instance jump start.

Couple of hours trickle charging and were back in action. 20km on the gom (-1°C out there now though), so some drain over the week. Scheduled for about 2 and a half hours charge tonight. No need for 100% for a long while now

Just for clarity, as this is something I expect to happen at some stage (getting a fair bit of "aux battery saver.." messages), did you remove the 12v battery and trickle charge that directly to solve this problem? If so - how? What do I need to add to my toolchest in order to get ahead of this issue?

Just for clarity, as this is something I expect to happen at some stage (getting a fair bit of "aux battery saver.." messages), did you remove the 12v battery and trickle charge that directly to solve this problem? If so - how? What do I need to add to my toolchest in order to get ahead of this issue?

Correct. I suspect 1. The ioniq has 12v battery issues that crop up every now and again in this thread, 2. I've not driven the car all week so the 12v hasn't been charged, 3. The main battery is somewhat low SOC so perhaps they don't top up the 12v under a certain soc. 4. Tis cold.

I bought one of these a while back:
    BUDDYGO FBC12050 Fully Automatic Battery Charger, 5A 12V Car Battery Charger & Maintainer- UK Plug, Red

Cheap off Amazon. Plug it in, crimp it up and wait a few hours.

I want to get a NOCO GB20 Genius Boost Sport - 400A UltraSafe Jump Starter, and leave it in the glove box for emergencies like this to instantly start the car

• Advertisement

Hmm. Didn't charge overnight. It's charging now via the override button, but the scheduled charge didn't kick in.

Dunno, it was cold, dark and late when I connected the 12v back up. I'll check all the settings later

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement