Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Hyundai Ioniq 28kWh

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,034 ✭✭✭goz83

unkel wrote: »
    You'll get the €4k scrappage for your car. So then you pay €24,495 plus delivery charges + extras minus what you can negotiate off. Because of the €4000 scrappage, there obviously isn't as much room to negotiate anymore as with other cars, so we are not talking thousands here.

I was kind of hoping that I might get a bit extra off if I walked in with my pockets stuffed with cash (if I was going for Ioniq).

Where did you buy?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,138 ✭✭✭✭KCross

goz83 wrote: »
    I was kind of hoping that I might get a bit extra off if I walked in with my pockets stuffed with cash (if I was going for Ioniq).

Where did you buy?

When and where exactly do you think you will be buying it? ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,638 ✭✭✭zilog_jones

Not like I've ever bought a new car, but aren't dealers these days reluctant at handling that amount of cash? I guess from a security and administration point of view they'd prefer not to deal with large amounts of cash. I've always used bank drafts or SEPA transfers.

Not like I've ever bought a new car, but aren't dealers these days reluctant at handling that amount of cash? I guess from a security and administration point of view they'd prefer not to deal with large amounts of cash. I've always used bank drafts or SEPA transfers.

I was joking about the cash. The stuffed pockets was supposed to make it obvious.

Anyway...has anyone seen this Ioniq scooter? Seems like a great idea. Could certainly have enough room in my wallet to pay cash for that.

• Registered Users Posts: 945 ✭✭✭Jakey Rolling

Salesman at Limerick motors seemed sound - very keen to point out limitations to "avoid later disappointment" (quite wise to manage expectations really), but otherwise happy to make the sale. Like others would recommend PCP due to the low GMFV given by their finance company.

Also was willing to sell me a banger from out back for a few hundred Euro to use as trade-in, wouldn't even have to drive it. Could then sell my own car later privately and be quids in.

Edit: *wouldn't* recommend PCP, rather HP

100412.2526@compuserve.com

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,615 ✭✭✭grogi

Salesman at Limerick motors seemed sound - very keen to point out limitations to "avoid later disappointment" (quite wise to manage expectations really), but otherwise happy to make the sale. Like others would recommend PCP due to the low GMFV given by their finance company.

Also was willing to sell me a banger from out back for a few hundred Euro to use as trade-in, wouldn't even have to drive it. Could then sell my own car later privately and be quids in.

I really like that man :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 65,751 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

goz83 wrote: »
    Where did you buy?

I'm a bit reluctant to recommend my Hyundai dealer until the sale is complete and everything went smoothly. So far, so good though. Sales man is professional and straight and I got a very, very good deal.

I'm a bit reluctant to recommend my Hyundai dealer until the sale is complete and everything went smoothly. So far, so good though. Sales man is professional and straight and I got a very, very good deal.

PM me when you do. Would like to know, as I am in two minds as to what to buy as the full electric. Considering Leaf, but would bring in from the UK if I bought one. I won't be buying just yet....but could be in the next few weeks, depending on finances. Happy to wait though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 900 ✭✭✭650Ginge

positron wrote: »
    Hyundai dealer in Drogheda have an Ioniq but it's not registered, so they can't provide extended test drives. Same story with the Hyundai dealer in Swords. It's a bit frustrating.

It was drogheda I went to.....odd fella...especially the bit where he asks my wife "are you married?"....

• Registered Users Posts: 399 ✭✭Petetheroadie

Would be great if you could pm me the details as well. Thanks!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 8,061 Mod ✭✭✭✭liamog

Would be great if you could pm me the details as well. Thanks!

I've sent you a PM on our buying experience :)

Test drive in the Ioniq arranged for Tuesday. Shame there's no CCS anywhere near Carlow Town.

Tried to convince Hyundai to install a CCS point - no chance, truth be told Hyundai Ireland have probably been told to sell the Ioniq or loose the franchise, "we've put a lot of money into R&D so by God you're going to sell it" ? Who knows.

They have seemingly seen some interest in it.

I plan on taking it about 250 kms. N9 to M9 , N7 to Dublin, M50 to N11 to Wicklow Town then cross Wicklow to Baltinglass and home. The mostly motorway trip will be from Kilcullen to Wicklow Town and I hope to do 100-110 Kph as much as possible to Wicklow. The rest of the tripp from East to West Wicklow will most likely be 60-90 Kms max.

I will Charge up in Wicklow Town.

Can't wait.

24h testdrive? If so, just charge at home and do another 200-250km the next day :)

Good luck with it! Any chance you can drive it your full commute (or any other route you know well and know how much your Leaf consumes) at the same pace / style as you normally do and compare the two?

24h testdrive? If so, just charge at home and do another 200-250km the next day :)

Good luck with it! Any chance you can drive it your full commute (or any other route you know well and know how much your Leaf consumes) at the same pace / style as you normally do and compare the two?

I will be passing the turn off for work so will have a pretty good idea at that point. I don't want to drive to work and back as it will only be 135 ish Kms. But I could do that , but it will obviously do better than the Leaf 24 Kwh, I'd really need to compare to the 30 Kwh Leaf.

I will leave home with 100% charge and charge in Wicklow Town, I am not going to make 250 odd kms on one charge so rather than test the limit I am going to drive as normally and see by the energy monitor my efficiency and by that I will get a fair idea of what range to expect.

On my trip to work tonight my economy in the leaf was 21.5 Kwh/100 kms about 11 Kms 100 Kph and 54 Kms at about 120 Kph and some wet roads. Heat at 23 Deg C.

It's hard to compare to the Leaf for each trip because of different weather etc but it should give me a good idea of what to expect from the Ioniq.

I could indeed take it the next day for another trip, depends on the time I have , I'll bring my 1 year old and 2 yr 9 month old and Granny for the trip ! :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,944 ✭✭✭Bigus

I will be passing the turn off for work so will have a pretty good idea at that point. I don't want to drive to work and back as it will only be 135 ish Kms. But I could do that , but it will obviously do better than the Leaf 24 Kwh, I'd really need to compare to the 30 Kwh Leaf.

I will leave home with 100% charge and charge in Wicklow Town, I am not going to make 250 odd kms on one charge so rather than test the limit I am going to drive as normally and see by the energy monitor my efficiency and by that I will get a fair idea of what range to expect.

On my trip to work tonight my economy in the leaf was 21.5 Kwh/100 kms about 11 Kms 100 Kph and 54 Kms at about 120 Kph and some wet roads. Heat at 23 Deg C.

It's hard to compare to the Leaf for each trip because of different weather etc but it should give me a good idea of what to expect from the Ioniq.

I could indeed take it the next day for another trip, depends on the time I have , I'll bring my 1 year old and 2 yr 9 month old and Granny for the trip ! :D

You could also try driving to work and back at an indicated 130 Kmh for the craic , and see the state of charge :D

Bigus wrote: »
    You could also try driving to work and back at an indicated 130 Kmh for the craic , and see the state of charge :D

I could, not sure I'd do it at 130 Kph a whole 135 ish Kms might be pushing it at that speed. The thing is that I'd have to leave on a full charge that evening after I pick it up , go home charge it and head off, not sure I could do that, don't know if I could wait for it to charge if it's not fully charged. Shame Carlow has no CCS.

Unfortunately , I had to postpone the test drive until the Following Tuesday. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 1,404 ✭✭✭peposhi

Unfortunately , I had to postpone the test drive until the Following Tuesday. :(

Not good enough, Mad_Lad, not good enough :)

I can not wait for your review :)

Yes unfortunately it had to happen. don't worry , it won't be long coming around ! :D

FYI: The UK folks seem to be getting 110-150 miles from the Ioniq at motorway speeds (55-70mph) in cold weather.

https://speakev.com/threads/hyundai-ioniq-electric-range.21219/page-4#post-395032

https://speakev.com/threads/hyundai-ioniq-electric-range.21219/page-6#post-507241

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,285 ✭✭✭cros13

Fitzpatricks Hyundai Naas have put an Ioniq EV at the Monread Tesco roundabout. Next to the rapid.

cca9a87281.jpg

I wonder how many will buy the Hybrid / PHEV V EV ?

Looks good in white but why that awful grey bumper ?

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 8,061 Mod ✭✭✭✭liamog

cros13 wrote: »
    Fitzpatricks Hyundai Naas have put an Ioniq EV at the Monread Tesco roundabout. Next to the rapid.

So they've gone from the no PCP malarkey to full on pushing it.

Did someone get sent to the Hyundai Reeducation Facility?

• Registered Users Posts: 252 ✭✭KoemansCC

I wonder how many will buy the Hybrid / PHEV V EV ?

Looks good in white but why that awful grey bumper ?

I have to disagree, one of the first things that stood out for me was the bumber, I think it looks amazing. To me now the 'normal' grill looks plain!!!

I think it's awful in solid white (but that's me - I feel white is cheap. Only suitable for cheap vans / workhorses :D)

And I agree the plastic "grille" is hideous. It's far less pronounced on Silver metallic or even on Black metallic and you can get a black plastic grille as an optional extra and I can only imagine it will look very well if you have a black Ioniq

Fitzpatricks in Naas have a good reputation. However they completely missed the boat with me. I sent a mass email to all Hyundai dealers at 09:00 in no uncertain terms that I was ready to buy and pay a deposit. They got back to me at about 19:30, I had just agreed a deal with another dealer. Waiting a full business day before replying is not really what it takes to get you to successfully close deals in 2017...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,295 ✭✭✭n97 mini

cros13 wrote: »

They're at all Tescos in their franchise area.

Passed Naas FCP today. Abandoned red Leaf hogging it, so ironically the Ioniq wouldn't have been able to charge.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,404 ✭✭✭peposhi

liamog wrote: »
    So they've gone from the no PCP malarkey to full on pushing it.

Did someone get sent to the Hyundai Reeducation Facility?

Sure they did after 69 Ioniqs sold in Jan...
    The sound of money being exchanged makes the dealers VERY interested :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,928 ✭✭✭Soarer

Interesting little video from Robert Llewellyn of the i3 with the 33 kW battery here.

Two interesting things.
    1 - BMW have said they'll retrofit the new bigger battery for owners with the current smaller battery. No mention of price though, and it's not available (yet) in the UK or US.

2 - He goes on a good bit about how much he loves the i3, loves driving it, etc. But then mentions, if he was given the choice, he'd pick the Ioniq over it due to its superior range!

Fairly decent endorsement that.

• Advertisement

Here's hoping that Hyundai use the same approach when the rumoured 200 Mile Ioniq is eventually released.

If they can upgrade the 28 kWh to a 45 kWh in the same weight and footprint then I'd say their may be a few takers.

Soarer wrote: »
    1 - BMW have said they'll retrofit the new bigger battery for owners with the current smaller battery. No mention of price though, and it's not available (yet) in the UK or US.

It's around €7k. REx owners are currently excluded.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,808 ✭✭✭✭Water John

It can hardly be the same weight, unless they change the battery tech.
    My target is 200 miles/300km. How they achieve it is for them to figure out.

Water John wrote: »
    It can hardly be the same weight, unless they change the battery tech.
    My target is 200 miles/300km. How they achieve it is for them to figure out.

It will be heavier due to some additional cells but they will also be changing to a newer chemistry.

Remember, the i3's pack was bumped from 22kWh to 34kWh with less than 1% change in pack weight (most of the difference in weight for the 94Ah i3 is the roof material changing from carbon fiber to aluminium).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,553 ✭✭✭Fiery mutant

The effect the weather is having on the battery is very evident the last few days. Gone from using average 13.2kw/100km to using 16kw/100km tonight on my way home.

We should defend our way of life to an extent that any attempt on it is crushed, so that any adversary will never make such an attempt in the future.

Cold, wet and wind will use more energy, Preheating the leaf off the battery a couple of times a day will use more juice too.

16 Kwh/100 kms is good for this weather though, I'd get about 19-20.5 especially with lots of short trips and pre heating while out and about. I'd rather pre heat off the night rate leccy anyway than the peak mains if I don't need the range.

The heat pumps are also less effective below 5 Deg C and below 0 they will use a notable amount more energy.

From 5 to -5 the heat pump in the Leaf uses over twice the energy because there's a lot less to harvest from the air outside.

I would find not having a remote app for the Ioniq a real pain in the ass this time of the year especially but I do believe they're working on something for Android and IOS.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,595 ✭✭✭✭Calahonda52

Just wondering does anyone here actually have the Hyundai Ioniq? http://www.hyundai.ie/ioniq/
    Am looking at it instead of the Leaf, which herself has organised a test drive.

My uneducated sense is that the Ioniq is a better spec'ed car than the entry level Leaf

Do the parking sensors in the Ioniq make a sound as opposed to the passive cameras on the Leaf?
    My concern is that after 13 years of reversing beeping on an existing car.......

In addition, are the mirrors heated in the Ioniq, unclear if so in the Leaf.

Thanks as always

“I can’t pay my staff or mortgage with instagram likes”.

Yes the parking sensors make a warning sound :)

Only on the rear though, front sensors are an optional extra

There are about 2 or 3 Ioniq EV owners that are regular posters in here. I've bought one myself but haven't got it yet. Ioniq has a very good spec, but much more importantly it is far more efficient and has vastly better aerodynamics than a Leaf, meaning that the range is much better, even compared with the high battery capacity Leaf that also came out last year.

Yes the parking sensors make a warning sound :)

Only on the rear though, front sensors are an optional extra

There are about 2 or 3 Ioniq EV owners that are regular posters in here. I've bought one myself but haven't got it yet. Ioniq has a very good spec, but much more importantly it is far more efficient and has vastly better aerodynamics than a Leaf, meaning that the range is much better, even compared with the high battery capacity Leaf that also came out last year.

Thanks for that, is there an online version of the option brochure in english: not available as a download on the dot IE site, it is on the dot NL but is in Dutch!

• Registered Users Posts: 603 ✭✭✭kave2

As far as I know there are no options. One spec and that's it.

kave2 wrote: »
    As far as I know there are no options. One spec and that's it.
    Thanks, I did find the UK brochure and there are two options:
    Premium and Premium SE, but whats new about that!

I will get to the local garage tomorrow and ask.
    Thanks again.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,087 ✭✭✭isnottheword

Thanks, I did find the UK brochure and there are two options:
    Premium and Premium SE, but whats new about that!.
    Yes 2 variants in the UK but only one on the irish market.

My uneducated sense is that the Ioniq is a better spec'ed car than the entry level Leaf

In addition, are the mirrors heated in the Ioniq, unclear if so in the Leaf.

Thanks as always

To get as close a comparison as possible you need to look at the top range 30kWh SVE LEAF. Any other leaf model won't come close to the spec of the Ioniq as there is only one model and it's fully loaded.

The leaf SVE has heated mirrors.

I presume you are buying new only?

Thanks KC, yes new only.
    The drive shaft is gone in my 98 D and getting a replacement is proving problematic so time to consider something new: the last new car I bought for myself was in '83. The 4k scrappage to end Feb is attractive as tax etc on the '98 run out in March.
    I was going to do it last year but had an unexpected fight with prostate cancer so put it off.

I looked at the SVE Leaf and herself is taking it for a spin next week: we have both garages pretty close in Airside so will drop up tomorrow.
    Thanks again.

The 4k scrappage to end Feb is attractive

The original scrappage was to end Jan. Surprise surprise when I looked on the Hyundai.ie website on 01/02/2017 and it was extended by a month :p

My money is on it being extended again next month. And the month after that, etc.

Thanks KC, yes new only.
    The drive shaft is gone in my 98 D and getting a replacement is proving problematic so time to consider something new: the last new car I bought for myself was in '83. The 4k scrappage to end Feb is attractive as tax etc on the '98 run out in March.
    I was going to do it last year but had an unexpected fight with prostate cancer so put it off.

I looked at the SVE Leaf and herself is taking it for a spin next week: we have both garages pretty close in Airside so will drop up tomorrow.
    Thanks again.
    The original scrappage was to end Jan. Surprise surprise when I looked on the Hyundai.ie website on 01/02/2017 and it was extended by a month :p

My money is on it being extended again next month. And the month after that, etc.

I wouldn't rush it for scrappage. As unkel said they keep extending that for both Nissan and Hyundai.

There is some great 2nd hand value on leaf. Depreciation from new will be steep so I hope you are willing to keep it for a good few years!

• Registered Users Posts: 603 ✭✭✭kave2

KCross wrote: »
    To get as close a comparison as possible you need to look at the top range 30kWh SVE LEAF. Any other leaf model won't come close to the spec of the Ioniq as there is only one model and it's fully loaded.

The leaf SVE has heated mirrors.

I presume you are buying new only?

I think the Irish version is the Premium in the UK. Premium SE is the fully loaded one. Unfortunately that one is not available in Ireland.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,295 ✭✭✭n97 mini

Ioniq has a very good spec, but much more importantly it is far more efficient and has vastly better aerodynamics than a Leaf, meaning that the range is much better, even compared with the high battery capacity Leaf that also came out last year.

The more time has elapsed since we bought a Leaf the more I appreciate what is right and wrong with that statement. Motorway driving the Leaf falls well short of expectations, but in city driving (in my experience) it often exceeds them. Yes, it would conform that aerodynamics are not what they should be, but at lower speeds they don't matter much, if at all. Having been in both the Leaf is a nicer car to be in (SVE/Tekna) though the Ioniq has more 'toys'.

KCross wrote: »
    I wouldn't rush it for scrappage. As unkel said they keep extending that for both Nissan and Hyundai.

There is some great 2nd hand value on leaf. Depreciation from new will be steep so I hope you are willing to keep it for a good few years!

Yep, have seen some on the Nissan lot in Airside and I suspect the warranty on the car, at 8 years might be longer than mine but C'est la vie, or lack thereof!

Nissan are also doing 5k scrappage on the older, smaller battery one to shift stock

I can't honestly believe a Hyundai dealer would loose a sale for the sake of getting the highest spec Ioniq ?

n97 mini wrote: »
    The more time has elapsed since we bought a Leaf the more I appreciate what is right and wrong with that statement. Motorway driving the Leaf falls well short of expectations, but in city driving (in my experience) it often exceeds them. Yes, it would conform that aerodynamics are not what they should be, but at lower speeds they don't matter much, if at all.

You're right of course. I don't think anyone would disagree with that. All EVs are excellent in city traffic. Did you see the video of the Ioniq doing 350km on one charge?

Where most EVs still fail though is range at speed. The Leaf is particularly poor because of its poor aerodynamics. I like driving a bit over the speed limit on empty motorways and where the Ioniq might do 140 km at 150km/h, the Leaf would probably not even do half that.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement