Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Hyundai Ioniq 28kWh

Comments

140 Km at 150 Kph ? is that not being very optimistic ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 65,751 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

Maybe it is. I'll tell ya soon :p

I've been making these numbers up as I go along, but several times someone came back to show my figures were accurate from their own use or with a link to somewhere.

It does 220km at 110km/h though, so I don't think I'd be wildly off this time either...

unkel wrote: »
    Maybe it is. I'll tell ya soon :p

I've been making these numbers up as I go along, but several times someone came back to show my figures were accurate from their own use or with a link to somewhere.

It does 220km at 110km/h though, so I don't think I'd be wildly off this time either...

I'd be amazed if you could get 140 Kms at 150 km/h :D

Yeah I suppose I would be amazed too :D

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 8,061 Mod ✭✭✭✭liamog

The Irish option is metallic paint or not, oh and they let you choose the colour :D

I don't get it though, why as usual force the options on us and why not allow us to order all options because I got to say if I was considering the Ioniq I'd want all options or no deal !

You go to buy the 2.0L Diesel "sorry no, it's not on the options list" Ok, can I order it ? " no you can't"

I just don't get it !

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,595 ✭✭✭✭Calahonda52

I don't get it though, why as usual force the options on us and why not allow us to order all options because I got to say if I was considering the Ioniq I'd want all options or no deal !

You go to buy the 2.0L Diesel "sorry no, it's not on the options list" Ok, can I order it ? " no you can't"

I just don't get it !

Its the size of the market, as well as they want to max out the profits against the VRT/VAT/ road tax levels as opposed to in UK where bigger market and less onerous tax take.

“I can’t pay my staff or mortgage with instagram likes”.

But if I want the options why would they risk blowing a sale over something as ridiculous as a few options ? it's insane. Surely that's not a good enough reason ? I get it if they don't want to order higher spec cars themselves but they shouldn't prevent someone who's spending the money from ordering options.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 8,061 Mod ✭✭✭✭liamog

Considering we're ordering from the factory anyway, it doesn't make sense. I'm happy with the car we got, but would have ordered the Premium SE.

Front parking sensors are the only thing I really miss on our model.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,808 ✭✭✭✭Water John

Will this become the standard way to buy your car, esp EV?

Hyundae following Tesla.

https://techcrunch.com/2016/11/29/hyundai-uk-picks-up-a-trick-from-tesla-with-new-online-car-sales/

All one needs are trained technicians to service it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,615 ✭✭✭grogi

Water John wrote: »

Hyundae following Tesla.

https://techcrunch.com/2016/11/29/hyundai-uk-picks-up-a-trick-from-tesla-with-new-online-car-sales/

I certainly hope so.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,179 ✭✭✭✭josip

Water John wrote: »

Hyundae following Tesla.

Most people would take a test drive before committing to buy.
    I think the infrastructure is still not capable of automatically handling that and you'll still need humans to manage that process.
    And if someone is taking a test drive, they are perhaps still undecided about buying.
    Which is where a good sales person can be worthwhile to a manufacturer.

Tesla have a bit of a monopoly on their segment of the market at the moment. Once they start getting serious competition it will be interesting to see if they have more traditional dealerships

I bought my car over the phone, after a few rounds of emails and phone calls with various dealers. I wouldn't mind buying online except for the fact that we'd all get the same discount (fixed price). I usually do better than average when I can do the negotiating myself :D

I don't understand why there aren't more and / or less options when buying the Hyundai. Nice big spec but I would have gladly had a few thousand euro extra discount for a few less gimmicks that I don't really need. but as Calahonda52 says, because of the €5,000 VRT discount, the high spec cost very little (compared to the same gizmos in other cars with VRT on them)

I bought my car over the phone, after a few rounds of emails and phone calls with various dealers. I wouldn't mind buying online except for the fact that we'd all get the same discount (fixed price). I usually do better than average when I can do the negotiating myself :D

I thought you had a 24/48 hour test drive from some dealer?
    Or am I confusing you with someone else?

I did. But not from the dealer that I ended up buying the car from.

• Advertisement

I did. But not from the dealer that I ended up buying the car from.

Would you have bought it without the test drive?

No, of course not! :)

Its quite easy to have a facility where models are available for test drives. These then are used for this purpose but the one you actually buy, you order online.
    Garage/Facility doesn't carry stock.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,410 ✭✭✭positron

When I spoke to local Hyundai dealer, I recall them saying the battery comes with 8 year or 200,000 kms warranty - which I was really happy with, and I thought that was decent enough. Recently there are reports on various websites of Hyundai extending their 'lifetime warranty' to 2017 Ioniq range. For example: http://www.greencarreports.com/news/1108840_2017-hyundai-ioniq-to-have-lifetime-battery-failure-warranty

Does anyone know what exactly is covered? The report says the degradation is not covered under this policy, but only complete battery pack failures. Even still - that's amazing if Hyudai promises to replace the battery pack of a 2017 Ioniq say in 2030 or 2035... that is serious commitment. I wonder if the 8 year / 200k warranty cover battery degradation?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,087 ✭✭✭isnottheword

positron wrote: »
    Does anyone know what exactly is covered? The report says the degradation is not covered under this policy, but only complete battery pack failures. Even still - that's amazing if Hyudai promises to replace the battery pack of a 2017 Ioniq say in 2030 or 2035... that is serious commitment. I wonder if the 8 year / 200k warranty cover battery degradation?
    Surely, you'd need levels of degradation coverage? - otherwise, it's almost useless as a warranty.

• Advertisement

What's covered is only complete failure, whether that included the battery management system (BMS) I do not know.

Degradation is not covered after the warranty, so if your car drives then the battery will never be replaced.

Degradation is not covered after the warranty, so if your car drives then the battery will never be replaced.
    So at what level of degradation does the warranty kick in at?

LEAF triggers a fault condition if the battery is not performing as expected. Reasons can be for example a totally failed cell, broken BMS, fault with the contactors built within the battery. So maybe similar with IONIQ.

Absolutely no idea.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,285 ✭✭✭cros13

70% capacity within the 8 year / 200,000km.

In several markets Kia does a 10 year 70% capacity warranty on the Soul EV

• Registered Users Posts: 1,404 ✭✭✭peposhi

Have you noticed that if you choose the heavy regen level (3) the brake light comes on every time you release the acceleration pedal and the regen kicks in?

I totally understand the reasons behind it but I would be very pissed off if I was driving behind someone with brake lights coming on every other sec :)

peposhi wrote: »
    Have you noticed that if you choose the heavy regen level (3) the brake light comes on every time you release the acceleration pedal and the regen kicks in?

I totally understand the reasons behind it but I would be very pissed off if I was driving behind someone with brake lights coming on every other sec :)

You would be more pissed if it didn't...

Yes it's a real pain in the hole that the Leaf when in B mode that the brake lights do not come on, even in D the regen can be strong enough.

Cars get way too close.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,327 ✭✭✭highdef

But surely if you lift your foot off the accelerator when in level 3 regen mode, you are decelerating fairly rapidly so brake lights would be a good thing.
    In the Leaf, I'm surprised that the brake lights don't come on when Brake mode is occurring as it slows down pretty quickly. I believe level 3 in the Ioniq is even more rapid.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,404 ✭✭✭peposhi

highdef wrote: »

But surely if you lift your foot off the accelerator when in level 3 regen mode, you are decelerating fairly rapidly so brake lights would be a good thing.
    In the Leaf, I'm surprised that the brake lights don't come on when Brake mode is occurring as it slows down pretty quickly. I believe level 3 in the Ioniq is even more rapid.

You have right. The decelerating at level 3 is considerably stronger than in the Leaf, closer to i3. Leafs B-mode would closer to level 2 in Ioniq, but it definitely does not need a brake light to come on - it's comparable to an ICE car deceleration.

• Advertisement

Should they not set the brake lights to flicker on regen and only come on fully when brake applied. Have a single standard across EVs.

Leafs B-mode would closer to level 2 in Ioniq, but it definitely does not need a brake light to come on - it's comparable to an ICE car deceleration.

Ah I completely disagree, ;)

B in the Leaf on the motorway at 120-130 Kph slows too fast and I clearly see people getting far too close to me and on a crazy busy motorway like the M7 / N7 is dangerous.

Ah I completely disagree, ;)

B in the Leaf on the motorway at 120-130 Kph slows too fast and I clearly see people getting far too close to me and on a crazy busy motorway like the M7 / N7 is dangerous.

If I'm ever have the misfortune to rear end a Leaf, I'll use this in my defense :D

The way I'd like to compare it from the Ioniq to an ICE car. Regen level:

0 - like coasting in gear in a manual car. Negligible regen
    1 - like coasting in D in an automatic
    2 - like light to moderate engine braking in a manual car (shifting down one or two gears). Similar to Leaf B-mode
    3 - heavy max engine breaking - at least. Like shifting down several gears to let engine redline without fuel. In fact this regen level brakes a bit stronger than that even.

I'd say I'll stick the Ioniq to 2 as default. Smoother drive than 3, but I'll give that a go too. Eco mode, a light foot, regen level 3 and not going over 90km/h in moderate weather => range of 300km. I don't think that's my style :p

I'd say I'll stick the Ioniq to 2 as default. Smoother drive than 3, but I'll give that a go too. Eco mode, a light foot, regen level 3 and not going over 90km/h in moderate weather => range of 300km. I don't think that's my style :p

I'll repeat again: Level of regen has no measurable impact on range. And if it was significant enough to be noticed, it will marginally REDUCE the range.

I would be very pissed off if I was driving behind someone with brake lights coming on every other sec :)

I've had a few people beep, flash high beams or try undertake me on the N7/M7 either because they were tailgating and didn't notice gradual reduction of speed through light regen (which doesn't light the brake lights) or because in traffic they seemed to think I was applying brakes inconsistently when I was just varying regen appropriately.

I'm careful these days to watch the drivers of the cars behind me to see if they are paying attention and reacting when I regen or brake, but sometimes you get the idiots in 2nd overtaking at 110km/h in heavy traffic staring at their phone screens. This is why I got a dashcam with a supplementary rear camera.

cros13 wrote: »
    This is why I got a dashcam with a supplementary rear camera.

Am looking for one of these: would welcome a source please. Thanks

I'm careful these days to watch the drivers of the cars behind me to see if they are paying attention and reacting when I regen or brake, but sometimes you get the idiots in 2nd overtaking at 110km/h in heavy traffic staring at their phone screens. This is why I got a dashcam with a supplementary rear camera.

If they hit you from behind - it's an open/shut case. Driving without due care and attention - not anticipating road conditions ahead. Full fault lies with the car making the impact.

If someone feels that they have a right to challenge this, then it will be the manufacturer that will be implicated I would imagine...

Am looking for one of these: would welcome a source please. Thanks

I use a blackvue dr650gw-2ch. I have WiFi in the car through an LTE modem using the car's antenna. I can access the cameras remotely on my phone from anywhere and it automatically backs up the footage to the cloud in the event of an accident.

• Advertisement

That's a good one Cros. Saw someone put up a link to Halfords on some other thread, can't find it ATM.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,656 ✭✭✭deepimpact

I use a blackvue dr650gw-2ch. I have WiFi in the car through an LTE modem using the car's antenna. I can access the cameras remotely on my phone from anywhere and it automatically backs up the footage to the cloud in the event of an accident.

I got the updated version, the DR650S-2Ch on Amazon.fr on Tuesday. I did a bit of digging and got the best price I could from a reputable dealer. There is also an IR model due out soon.

Hopefully going to get it hardwired before the end of the month.

I'd be interested to find out how you set up the LTE modem.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,034 ✭✭✭goz83

The seats are horrible looking. Are there no other options? You can get leather in a leaf...but I don't see that in the Ioniq

goz83 wrote: »
    The seats are horrible looking. Are there no other options? You can get leather in a leaf...but I don't see that in the Ioniq

Leather is an option on the Irish Ioniq. I think it's about €1600.

Leather is an option on the Irish Ioniq. I think it's about €1600.

When I was speaking to the sales rep (i know, i know :rolleyes:) I asked about trim levels and extras and there was no mention of any extras, other than metallic paint. Do you have a link to the options available here?

When I was speaking to the sales rep (i know, i know :rolleyes:) I asked about trim levels and extras and there was no mention of any extras, other than metallic paint. Do you have a link to the options available here?

Better, I have a hard copy price list with all the options listed from Fitzpatrick's Tullamore.
    I left it at home though, I'll grab a scan tonight.

• Advertisement

Nice work, cros13.

There are no brand new Ioniqs in stock anywhere in Ireland (apart from white ones), so any car ordered / bought needs to be scheduled for manufacturing in South Korea. So there's no reason why one shouldn't be able to specify options. Hyundai themselves, the importer and the dealer make a lot of money on options, so it should be in their interest to push them on the customer. There's seems to be a severe lack of knowledge about this in the dealer network though. Didn't matter to me as I prefer to keep cash in my pocket rather than spend it on optional extras, metallic paint the one exception :p

Anyone order an Ioniq with options, please post back here! I can see the "black pack" being popular for people ordering a black car. Makes the plastic "grille", arguably the only ugly feature of the car, blend in more and thus look a lot better.

Just sat into the Ioniq, parked my test drive Leaf beside it:) the seat in the Ioniq is much lower than the Leaf, more like my 1998 S40.
    Also with seat fully pumped up, am hitting the roof, as in S40 again.
    I am 6' 2" and not blessed with the most supple lower back so the Ioniq is out of any further discussion.

I'm almost 6'2" also and have no difficulties at all fitting in the Ioniq?

Seats in both Ioniq and Leaf are poor though. Very little support. I'm used to seats several levels up in quality (in premium cars like BMW 5 and 7 series, Saab, Rover, Jaguar, Porsche, etc.) My back is strong, so it doesn't bother me. Reminds me of my grandfather, learnt to drive trucks with no seats in them, he used a 50kg bag of spuds to sit on :cool:

Now I would struggle head wise to sit "behind myself" in fairness in the Ioniq, the roof in the back seats is low. Plenty of space in the front though.

Just sat into the Ioniq, parked my test drive Leaf beside it:) the seat in the Ioniq is much lower than the Leaf, more like my 1998 S40.
    Also with seat fully pumped up, am hitting the roof, as in S40 again.
    I am 6' 2" and not blessed with the most supple lower back so the Ioniq is out of any further discussion.

I am waiting for an extended test drive. I too have a "bad back" and had a lumbar microdiscectomy at the end of 2015. Although the Ioniq is low to the ground, I found it easier to get in and out of than my e200 and certainly easier than my fto...which kinda looks similar to the Ioniq....if you squint really hard :D

The real test for me, is driving it for longer periods of time. If that doesn't work out...then it will be an outlander for me, as there is no other EV, or PHEV that I like enough to make the splash.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,138 ✭✭✭✭KCross

Seats in both Ioniq and Leaf are poor though. Very little support.

For the Leaf did you sit in the material or leather seats or both?

I find the leather seats in the SVE fine. Maybe not Porsche class!

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement