Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Hyundai Ioniq 28kWh

Comments

unkel wrote: »
    Yes it has Apple Carplay / Android Auto. Didn't test it as I have a 950XL :p Did test wireless charging and bluetooth playback and I thought they worked well and the sound quality was pretty decent. Did you not think so?

I didn't really test the Stereo, and might not get a chance to tomorrow if my Mother and the Lads come along. I have to play with it more.
    If we were still at buggy stage, I would not be buying an Ioniq. Boot is not big. For us it's a relief that we finally fit in a smaller car after years of large BMWs / Saab / Jaguar / Rover, etc. Not that we particularly want a smaller car, just that there are more options open to us.

The boot is fine for me but when my Partner wants to do the shopping she will take the Cee'd estate, it's got a much more useful boot but for me commuting mostly then the Ioniq would be fine and I suffered the leaf boot on my days off when I take the lads off but I do wish it was more practical in the Leaf and I would survice in the Ioniq also but my Partner, not a chance. Lifting out the buggy is a pain every time you need to get something else in or out. `
    And when you were testing the acceleration, did you use sport mode? It's a lot slower if you don't :) I only had the Leaf on a short test drive and I found acceleration off the mark was fine, but I would put serious money on the Ioniq being a lot faster say from 30km/h-100km/h. But I guess we will eventually do that drag race so I can prove it to ya :p

Yes I had sport on, I guess having come from an EV going to an EV it was less thrilling in that sense. It certainly didn't blow me away but coming from average ICE I'd probably be " fecking brilliant"

n97 mini wrote: »
    I can't comment on Bluetooth in the Ioniq but sound over Bluetooth (unless there's AptX, a proprietary codec, is supported) is generally inferior. In the Leaf it's definitely only so-so.

Could be the issue, I'll give it a shot.

I like that the Leaf gives you the estimated time to charge, the Ioniq doesn't.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 65,751 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

I guess having come from an EV going to an EV it was less thrilling in that sense. It certainly didn't blow me away but coming from average ICE I'd probably be " fecking brilliant"

Couldn't agree with you there. The Ioniq is probably slower to 100km/h than most of the cars I've owned in the last 20 years or so ;)

Couldn't agree with you there. The Ioniq is probably slower to 100km/h than most of the cars I've owned in the last 20 years or so ;)

Lol yeah, most of the cars you've owned. :D

I went back to the timer, Jesus Christ Almighty, it shouldn't be that complicated or maybe the Leaf has me spoiled with it's simplicity ! FFS Hyundai !

I gave up, I just set it to charge now, 45 mins on peak rate leccy won't break the bank ! :D

It's got a little bit more powerful charger, I see more power being pulled from the energy monitor.

• Advertisement

The charge port, Why did they think it made sense to have the charge port where the petrol or diesel filler might be ? did they think that people just couldn't deal with having the charge port up front ? I mean it makes sense considering all the electronics are up front FFS !

Usually when people pull up to a charge point etc they pull up nose first.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,295 ✭✭✭n97 mini

Front wheel drive tho. The Leaf limits power until you get to around 20 or 30km/h. Floor it then and it'll spin the wheels all day long. Above 70km/h it could probably do with a 2nd gear. I'm sure the Ioniq is the same.

Hopefully in a few years we'll all be driving sub 2.3s Teslas :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,138 ✭✭✭✭KCross

I went back to the timer, Jesus Christ Almighty, it shouldn't be that complicated or maybe the Leaf has me spoiled with it's simplicity ! FFS Hyundai !

I gave up, I just set it to charge now, 45 mins on peak rate leccy won't break the bank ! :D

It's got a little bit more powerful charger, I see more power being pulled from the energy monitor.

Night rate is from 11pm-8am so your fine!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,034 ✭✭✭goz83

The charge port, Why did they think it made sense to have the charge port where the petrol or diesel filler might be ? did they think that people just couldn't deal with having the charge port up front ? I mean it makes sense considering all the electronics are up front FFS !

Usually when people pull up to a charge point etc they pull up nose first.

Might be more to do with the fact that the hybrid model needs the flap there for petrol. Cheaper to run a wiring loom from a pre designed flap than incorporate a front charge point.

goz83 wrote: »
    Might be more to do with the fact that the hybrid model needs the flap there for petrol. Cheaper to run a wiring loom from a pre designed flap than incorporate a front charge point.

Could be. :confused:

• Advertisement

KCross wrote: »
    Night rate is from 11pm-8am so your fine!

That's Summer no ? thought it was Midnight to 8 Winter and 11pm - 09 am Summer ?

That's Summer no ? thought it was Midnight to 8 Winter and 11pm - 09 am Summer ?

No
    When the clocks change it will go to 12-9 for the summer. It's 11-8 right now.

For the life of me I can't seem to get the timer to set ? the Leaf is so simple , I'm actually amazed !

Any Ideas ? the problem is setting the off peak timer function, when I have it all set the "OK " button doesn't light.

6E21E5C8-A688-489B-A05C-9F00F9BFE188.jpg

Does the hour spinner go from 0-12 or 1-12?

As already suggested try 0:00 AM and see if the OK enables then?

I'll try again later I just set it to charge straight away after.

I'm probably just so used to the Leaf which is far more conveniently set as 24 hr clock.

For example I set the timer on Monday at 9PM , scroll through the times, 22:00, 23:00 and 00:00 "Tuesday".

So just thinking about it now I bet you're correct. I always go by 24 Hr time.

I have to say I do like the Ioniq in Black, the grey on the bumper looks far less Hideous.

I think if Hyundai had different colour options for the bumpers that it would look cool, I think a reddish colour would look good with the black.

Black is a hard colour to keep and will show every tiny chip and scrape. It does make me wonder why Hyundai decided not to paint the bumpers.

I think if I were to buy it I would have them sprayed a different colour !

Unfortunately the dark damp weather is pretty bad for taking pics , looks like today will be no better.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 23,019 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

If we were still at buggy stage, I would not be buying an Ioniq. Boot is not big. For us it's a relief that we finally fit in a smaller car after years of large BMWs / Saab / Jaguar / Rover, etc. Not that we particularly want a smaller car, just that there are more options open to us.
    The boot is fine for me but when my Partner wants to do the shopping she will take the Cee'd estate, it's got a much more useful boot but for me commuting mostly then the Ioniq would be fine and I suffered the leaf boot on my days off when I take the lads off but I do wish it was more practical in the Leaf and I would survice in the Ioniq also but my Partner, not a chance. Lifting out the buggy is a pain every time you need to get something else in or out. `

Lads, no need for bigger cars, just buy smaller and lighter buggys.

I've no idea why people buy insanely large and heavy buggys like the iCandy. They are just a pain to store, heavy to lift in and out, take up loads of space and are actually heavy to push around.

Get yourselves a Babyzen Yoyo, incredibly small and light and folds up so small you can fit it under the seat on an airplane! Brilliant buggy. Will easily fit in any car and so light makes it easy to put in and out.

The Icandy is practical and it can be a pram and buggy and it's got a good bit of space for shopping underneath. I'm no buggy expert though. :D

Didn't work, just can't set the timer to come on between x and x.

It goes from 12 AM to 12 PM automatically.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 23,019 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

The Icandy is practical and it can be a pram and buggy and it's got a good bit of space for shopping underneath. I'm no buggy expert though. :D

I am surprisingly! You have no idea how much time and effort we put into investigating buggys to pick the right one.

The icandy really is one of the least practical buggys out there. It is one of the heaviest buggys and one of the widest, which makes it hard to manoeuvre around shops and it folds terribly.

My sister had it, she sold hers after 6 months! Just too big and heavy.

BTW despite how incredibly small and light the yoyo is, it actually has a massive shopping basket and it is also both pram and buggy and can also take a car seat! In other words it is a full system.

I get why people buy the icandy, it looks cool in the store and it has that cool automatic folding feature. But that all adds lots and weight and size that makes it horrible IMO once you start actually using it.

BTW another cool looking and very popular buggy, but too impractical is the Stokke, talk about top heavy, topple over risk!

The ones that are really practical are the City Mini GT and Babyzen yoyo. Yes they don't look cool like the Stokke and iCandy, but way easier to use. These are the buggys most mothers move onto once they get over the initial, nice looking but impractical buggy.

Link to buggy ? yes the Icandy is awkward but I don't find it any awkward in shops.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,808 ✭✭✭✭Water John

Hope you put on Lordi and Slipknot to check out the stereo.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 19,201 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

Moving from ICE to EV, huge leap in technology with apps, readouts etc and we're still calling it a 'stereo'....I'd be most disappointed with a stereo in a car:p

Link to buggy ? yes the Icandy is awkward but I don't find it any awkward in shops.

Obviously not in the shopping center itself. But don't you find it too wide going in and around clothing racks? Maybe you don't go into that type of shop, just the missus?

I find our City Mini GT to be a little wide in clothing shops and that isn't as wide as the iCandy.

Anyway the Babyzen Yoyo+ is here:
    https://www.babyzen.com/en/

It is the ultimate light and portable buggy. I can literally carry it onto a bus in one hand with the baby in the other hand! And I'm a total lightweight.

It also folds small enough to fit under an airline seat (recently tested on 28 hours of flying :eek:). Only downside it is expensive, but then, much cheaper then buying a bigger car :D

As a compromise for half way between the iCandy and the BabyZen, you have the BabyJogger City Mini GT:

http://www.babyjogger.com/product/city-mini-gt/

A bit heavier and larger then the Babyzen, but can still fold pretty compact. Good if you do lots of walking in parks, glendalough, etc. But too be honest, since we got the Yoyo, we are using it way less.

To be honest, the older your child gets, the smaller and lighter you want to go. You don't want to be dragging a big system around with you everywhere, it just isn't necessary.

Some test results of my 207 Km trip in the Ioniq.

15.1 Kwh/100 kms after returning home and 97 Kms guesstimated Kms left after a 25 min charge from 37-90%.

Drove 100 Km/h for about 45 Kms to Kilcullen where I joined the M9 then 110 Kph with some 120 Kph bursts all the way to the Mad Cow, then onto the M50 South , M11 all the way to Wicklow town, 116.5 Kms to 37% and a 25 min charge to 90% and from Wicklow Town to Brittas bay the coast road, then on to Arklow via the M11 again, Through Arklow, into Wooden Bridge, Aughrim, Tinahely, Hacketstown, then back home.

From Wicklow Town I drove 60-80-100 Kph with a bit of over taking and some back road fun.

The Ioniq is a pleasure to drive, very comfortable on bumpy roads and decent handling.

I wouldn't reach 200 Kms at 110 Km/h but 180 should be possible after which you better be plugged in ! I would say 200 Kms is achievable at 80-100 Km/h.

The roads were wet all the way to the M50 South, then dry or damp. 10 Degrees C leaving and about 12-13 Deg on the way back.

Efficiency compared to Leaf ?

Definitely by the time I got to my work turn off I noticed 16.5 Kwh/100 Kms in the Leaf in the wet at that speed probably 19 - 19.5 Kwh/100.

The thing is that at slower speeds I don't think there'd be a lot between the Leaf and Ioniq efficiency wise.

I would have to compare to the 30 Kwh leaf. Definitely at higher speeds the efficiency is noticeable. But it's still not going to give me 200 Kms at 110 Kph, maybe at 100 Kph ?

In warm weather perhaps 220 Kms ?

There's a lad on FB Group who averaged 12 Kwh/100 kms over 280 Kms , but that would be driving a "lot" easier than I did today.

Impressive is the fast charging, it could have taken me 40-45 mins to get to 90% in the "24 Kwh" Leaf from 37%.

Charging at 60-64 Kw , 30 Kw from 90%, the 24 Kwh Leaf would be charging at about 35 Kw from 55% !

A leafspy for the Ioniq would be great. There's no battery temp guage so I guess they don't care or don't want you to care more like it :-)

If I were in the market for a new car I'd definitely get the Ioniq but I would want the top spec , so get hounding Hyundai for the top spec lads if you're after one.

And having said all that the 30 Kwh Leaf will be more than good enough too for anyone considering one but if I had the choice it would be the Ioniq !

Water John wrote: »

I tried some dance, trance, techno and some classical, Opera.

The stereo is ok but it's not great in my opinion, it has very little Baas. It could do with a good DIY speaker upgrade !

Others could find it perfectly good.

bk wrote: »
    Obviously not in the shopping center itself. But don't you find it too wide going in and around clothing racks? Maybe you don't go into that type of shop, just the missus?

I find our City Mini GT to be a little wide in clothing shops and that isn't as wide as the iCandy.

Anyway the Babyzen Yoyo+ is here:
    https://www.babyzen.com/en/

It is the ultimate light and portable buggy. I can literally carry it onto a bus in one hand with the baby in the other hand! And I'm a total lightweight.

It also folds small enough to fit under an airline seat (recently tested on 28 hours of flying :eek:). Only downside it is expensive, but then, much cheaper then buying a bigger car :D

As a compromise for half way between the iCandy and the BabyZen, you have the BabyJogger City Mini GT:

http://www.babyjogger.com/product/city-mini-gt/

A bit heavier and larger then the Babyzen, but can still fold pretty compact. Good if you do lots of walking in parks, glendalough, etc. But too be honest, since we got the Yoyo, we are using it way less.

To be honest, the older your child gets, the smaller and lighter you want to go. You don't want to be dragging a big system around with you everywhere, it just isn't necessary.

I don't frequently go shopping to shopping centres with lads, but you're right thinking back it is a bit bulky for around cloths racks. :D

Finished charging at 90% from 37% actually 24. something mins but by the time I got to take the photo.

4F07D14D-BAB6-47B4-A78B-5426C294AF80.jpg

Charging at 30 Kw at 90%.

E0A5D2A6-B04F-485D-8331-22DF7BB8CC54.jpg

18 Mins 37-80%.

0746F6D0-C879-4926-B45E-C31600536D67.jpg

Charging at 64 Kw form a "45" Kw charger ! :D

FD45E7AA-4C05-40E5-A3B5-7BD4BF8D751C.jpg

Started charging at 37%

EC0ACF14-B33F-4C36-8A0B-14ED35699831.jpg

Efficiency after 207 Kms.

D4B0C254-A0D0-4B26-8953-92118F3E321A.jpg

7D87C16B-3744-48AA-876A-54AF59236DF8.jpg

93 Kms left after 25 Min charge with total travel of 207 Kms + 95 Kms = 300 kms rang (ish) with a 25 min charge not babying the car but not going mad.

So what do you think of that folks ?

Are those on the fence closer to the other side now ? :D

I thought all our rapids were limited to 50kW. Are there a few that have higher capacity? Which ones?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,285 ✭✭✭cros13

I thought all our rapids were limited to 50kW. Are there a few that have higher capacity? Which ones?

Those efacec rapids only output 44kW peak however the i3 and Leaf only hit that peak rate for around 5 minutes in the middle of the battery.
    The Ioniq maxes them out for a longer period, pulling 40kW+ for up to 15 minutes.

cros13 wrote: »
    Those efacec rapids only output 44kW peak however the i3 and Leaf only hit that peak rate for around 5 minutes in the middle of the battery.
    The Ioniq maxes them out for a longer period, pulling 40kW+ for up to 15 minutes.

Mad_Lads screenshot above shows it pulling 64kW!? Thats why Im asking how thats possible?

Are those on the fence closer to the other side now ? :D

Very close, it is certainly looking very impressive. It looks like you could make it down to Cork with just one charge and not too much crawling.

It gives me hope that we should be there in one to two years.

A few things on this car stand out to me from your and others reviews, that show us it being more refined and next gen then the Leaf and which really impress me:

- The rapid and more constant charging speed
    - The greater efficiency, particularly at close to motorway speeds (due to better drag coefficient I assume).
    - The more realistic distance left estimate.
    - The more regular looks of the car.

Put a bigger battery in with all of the above and we have a winner IMO.

I have to say it makes me excited again about the EV future of cars :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,285 ✭✭✭cros13

Mad_Lads screenshot above shows it pulling 64kW!? Thats why Im asking how thats possible?

Was there a vehicle charging from AC?

24mins to pull 23kWh according to the final output on the screen for his session.... thats averaging over 60kW's for the entire session! Thats a serious bump in speed. Twice what any Leaf would do.

Maybe eCars dont have CCS restricted like ChaDeMo and the Ioniq is the first car that isnt self-restricting as much. Maybe we should stay quiet before eCars limit it!

Water John wrote: »

I tried some reasonably well known German industrial metal. That good enough? :p

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,460 ✭✭✭✭DrPhilG

Just read on a Facebook post that with the Ioniq, it is the car that locks the cable on a fast charge.

That's a serious pain if so. At least with a Leaf if someone plugs in and abandons for hours the chademo will release when its complete.

DrPhilG wrote: »
    That's a serious pain if so. At least with a Leaf

It is for a Leaf owner. Not for an Ioniq owner :pac:

But if charging would only take me 15 minutes typically (what from 20-70% or so), I probably wouldn't go anywhere myself. Just wait in the car. And drive off the second I have enough juice.

It's starting to look like the Ioniq is now the best selling full EV in many European countries. Particularly in the Nordics and the Netherlands. That is in numbers ordered though. Deliveries are delayed everywhere :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,460 ✭✭✭✭DrPhilG

It is for a Leaf owner. Not for an Ioniq owner :pac:

But if charging would only take me 15 minutes typically (what from 20-70% or so), I probably wouldn't go anywhere myself. Just wait in the car. And drive off the second I have enough juice.

Not sure how it's more of an issue for a Leaf owner? Quite the opposite.

My point is that there are a lot of inconsiderate assholes around who leave their cars at fast chargers long past the end of the charge. Doesn't matter if it's a Leaf that needs 35 minutes or an Ioniq that only needs 20. There are people who dump their cars at FCPs for hours.

With the Leaf, Outlander etc the chademo cable will unlock once the charge ends meaning that the next user can use the charger provided they can reach.

With a car where the lock is on the car end rather than the charger then the next person is at the mercy of the original asshole.

No, there's a separate meter for AC.

• Advertisement

24mins to pull 23kWh according to the final output on the screen for his session.... thats averaging over 60kW's for the entire session! Thats a serious bump in speed. Twice what any Leaf would do.

Maybe eCars dont have CCS restricted like ChaDeMo and the Ioniq is the first car that isnt self-restricting as much. Maybe we should stay quiet before eCars limit it!

Compared to the Leaf 24 Kwh it's amazing.

Here's the leaf 24 Kwh with a warm battery charging at 34 Kw around 60%, I can't find a charge graph of the complete charge at the moment.

Charger power shown as - 34.6 Kw, a cold battery will be slower. It would be interesting to see how fast the Ioniq charges in a cold spell.

A 30 Kwh Leaf will charge at about 45 Kw until about 80%.

Screenshot_2015-06-20-17-17-57.png

Was it a good idea to merge and bury my thread into this one ? that kind of annoyed me , not impressed !

It's mainly about the Ioniq, so it's probably helpful for someone searching to get all the relevant info / experiences in the one thread. Even though many of us do go off topic in several threads in this forum. I'm guilty of that myself. Seems to be the nature of the forum :)

Sometimes it's better to start fresh rather than someone having to read through 83 pages ?

I don't like my threads being stolen.......

Was just made aware of a very handy feature of the Ioniq EV. Every 72 hours the car automatically checks the condition of the auxiliary battery. If needs be, it tops this auxiliary battery up from the main battery (for a maximum of 30 days not driving it). So never a flat battery even if you don't touch the car for weeks on end. Nice!

This is switched on as a default, but can be switched off. Might explain why someone in here was greeted by a flat battery Ioniq when they went for a test drive?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,553 ✭✭✭Fiery mutant

DrPhilG wrote: »
    Just read on a Facebook post that with the Ioniq, it is the car that locks the cable on a fast charge.

That's a serious pain if so. At least with a Leaf if someone plugs in and abandons for hours the chademo will release when its complete.

You can set the Ioniq to auto release the lock when it's fully charged, so if you are at a public charge point you shouldn't be inconveniencing anyone.

In saying that, people shouldn't just abandon their car at a charge point anyway.

We should defend our way of life to an extent that any attempt on it is crushed, so that any adversary will never make such an attempt in the future.

Was just made aware of a very handy feature of the Ioniq EV. Every 72 hours the car automatically checks the condition of the auxiliary battery. If needs be, it tops this auxiliary battery up from the main battery (for a maximum of 30 days not driving it). So never a flat battery even if you don't touch the car for weeks on end. Nice!

This is switched on as a default, but can be switched off. Might explain why someone in here was greeted by a flat battery Ioniq when they went for a test drive?

I think thats a standard enough EV feature. The Leaf does it too although not configurable on the Leaf.

If you think about it, it has to be a feature of every EV as they dont have alternators, so that battery topup has to come from somewhere otherwise it would be dead pretty quick.

Funny though that several people here have mentioned flat batteries when they were going to go for a test drive (Ioniq, Leaf, even others?). I guess the capacity of the aux battery in an EV is very small to start with. No need for big amps to get an ICE started :D

Seriously, I'm still pissed that my Thread can be just destroyed like that Unkel there was no justification for it.

I forgot to mention that I got the timer to set for off peak hours, you have to set both weekdays and "weekend" , unreal !

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement