Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Hyundai Ioniq 28kWh

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 65,751 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

Looks like the ship with Ioniqs destined for the UK (and presumably for Ireland too) has sailed a while back and is due to dock in the UK on 19th March.

I forgot to mention that I got the timer to set for off peak hours, you have to set both weekdays and "weekend" , unreal !

Maybe in some markets they have lower price rates at the weekend?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,295 ✭✭✭n97 mini

Seriously, I'm still pissed that my Thread can be just destroyed like that Unkel there was no justification for it.

Seems to have been merged into an existing thread? Not sure which one, was it this one (pita searching on the phone). But yeah not helpful. Wonder will whoever merged it be so kind as to split it out again. It's a Leaf vs Ioniq thread which makes it unique.

n97 mini wrote: »
    Seems to have been merged into an existing thread? Not sure which one, was it this one (pita searching on the phone). But yeah not helpful. Wonder will whoever merged it be so kind as to split it out again. It's a Leaf vs Ioniq thread which makes it unique.

Yes my thread was merged with this one and I find it unacceptable because if I create a separate thread about something with my own actual experience then it should be separate to a general thread about the car.

80 odd pages of a thread to crawl through to get an an actual comparison from someone who has owned a Leaf for 2 years is not helpful at all.

Please whoever destroyed my thread put it back !!!!

I was impressed that the Ioniq comes with a 10 amp portable EVSE (AKA Granny Cable).

When I dropped the Ioniq back yesterday the salesman was less than enthusiastic about selling it. I bet the reason they're even in Irish dealers is because Hyundai may have told them they must sell it ?

I also got the impression that when a customer comes in that they will be showing them the diesels first unless someone specifically asks about the Ioniq I bet they're not going to mention it......

All he could do really was tell me about the depreciation in the Leaf so I knew he wasn't interested and "you're doing too much mileage" bla bla

I've 15,460 left on the Leaf, so we'll se what he comes back with but I was thinking that it might be better to cash out now rather than wait until January, however I think better will be available in January and possibly the new Leaf.

I'd like to caution people about the Lane keep assist thing or whatever they call it, it simply can't be trusted, many times it tried to steer me into the shoulder or across the centre line on the Motorway.

It's there simply to assist if you take your eye off the ball for a second but even then it could kill you !!!

I was impressed that the Ioniq comes with a 10 amp portable EVSE (AKA Granny Cable).

Does the Leaf not come with a Granny cable as standard? That seems very mean. Never mind any of the gimmicks, you need a bloody Granny cable in an EV! Madness to go anywhere without one...
    I'd like to caution people about the Lane keep assist thing or whatever they call it, it simply can't be trusted, many times it tried to steer me into the shoulder or across the centre line on the Motorway.

It's there simply to assist if you take your eye off the ball for a second but even then it could kill you !!!

As soon as you take your hands off the wheel for a couple of seconds it will start beeping the Bejaysis anyway. Not sure about the helpfulness of the lane assist feature. Maybe the hardware is needed for some future software enhancements towards more useful / safer "autopilot" features

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,410 ✭✭✭positron

Hyundai are working on a fully self-driving version of Ioniq similar to Tesla - not sure when we would see that on roads perhaps by 2020, again, it might be a while before laws allow that on our roads.

https://www.wired.com/2017/01/take-spin-hyundais-ioniq-driverless-car-masses/
    http://www.pcworld.com/article/3154847/car-tech/taking-a-ride-in-hyundais-ioniq-autonomous-car.html

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,460 ✭✭✭✭DrPhilG

When I dropped the Ioniq back yesterday the salesman was less than enthusiastic about selling it.

I had the same experience. I didn't have a test drive, just went into the showroom and spent 5 minutes examining the car inside and out, then walked out the door without so much as an acknowledgement.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,585 ✭✭✭jca

DrPhilG wrote: »
    I had the same experience. I didn't have a test drive, just went into the showroom and spent 5 minutes examining the car inside and out, then walked out the door without so much as an acknowledgement.

Why would that be? Are they over stocked with diesels? I went to look at two i40's at two different dealers and found the salesmen very rude and disinterested.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,460 ✭✭✭✭DrPhilG

jca wrote: »
    Why would that be? Are they over stocked with diesels? I went to look at two i40's at two different dealers and found the salesmen very rude and disinterested.

Don't know, but the last time I wandered into that dealership for a nosey I was approached within minutes and ended up buying a car there.

This time not a sausage. The only time they paid me any attention was when I asked if it was OK for me to get into the car for a look.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,114 ✭✭✭✭listermint

Yes my thread was merged with this one and I find it unacceptable because if I create a separate thread about something with my own actual experience then it should be separate to a general thread about the car.

80 odd pages of a thread to crawl through to get an an actual comparison from someone who has owned a Leaf for 2 years is not helpful at all.

Please whoever destroyed my thread put it back !!!!

I think then it's high time for a reviews section in here. Personal reviews or just a reviews thread outside of the main discussions.

Purely just reviews based on actual experience

Yes , less than enthusiastic for sure.

Problem is that they don't want to have to try to explain to people how it all works, they even have 0 interest in installing a fast charge point and then they were talking about having it for customers only and were quiet taken back when I suggested it be open for all like Nissan.

Most people come in, they only know petrol/diesel and the salesmen have a very easy job and commission.

It's probably only in Irish showrooms because Hyundai want them to sell it.

The sales people should get less base salary or a bonus for each EV they sell. Selling petrol and diesel cars are too easy.

I bet even if they do get back to me they will offer me very little for the Leaf as a deterrent.

Truth be told the commission might be less on the Ioniq ?

I suggest you drive it, it's quiet a good and the fast charging is brilliant. I can't wait for the day there is 100+ Kw capable electrics and chargers !

Realistically 280-300 kms with a 25 min fast charge. That's not bad.

listermint wrote: »
    I think then it's high time for a reviews section in here. Personal reviews or just a reviews thread outside of the main discussions.

Purely just reviews based on actual experience

Not a bad Idea.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,034 ✭✭✭goz83

Yes , less than enthusiastic for sure.

Problem is that they don't want to have to try to explain to people how it all works, they even have 0 interest in installing a fast charge point and then they were talking about having it for customers only and were quiet taken back when I suggested it be open for all like Nissan.

Most people come in, they only know petrol/diesel and the salesmen have a very easy job and commission.

It's probably only in Irish showrooms because Hyundai want them to sell it.

The sales people should get less base salary or a bonus for each EV they sell. Selling petrol and diesel cars are too easy.

I bet even if they do get back to me they will offer me very little for the Leaf as a deterrent.

Truth be told the commission might be less on the Ioniq ?

I suggest you drive it, it's quiet a good and the fast charging is brilliant. I can't wait for the day there is 100+ Kw capable electrics and chargers !

Realistically 280-300 kms with a 25 min fast charge. That's not bad.

What do you need them to offer you for the leaf?

• Advertisement

goz83 wrote: »
    What do you need them to offer you for the leaf?

I have 15,460 left to pay on the Leaf, the GFMV is 12,500 so if it's going to be worth much less than this I have to consider keeping the Leaf and just refinance the balloon. Or if I could break even this year it might be a better option to change.

If it's worth say 10 K after 3 years and 90,000 odd kms then I'd still have to pay the balloon of 12,500 and if I decided to change then I don't pay the balloon and worst case is I have 0 deposit. So in some way I was lucky to get a 12,500 GFMV, it's about 5,500 now but you pay more per month to compensate.

I suppose really if I can't break even next year or even this year then I might as well wait to see what's available at the end of this year or early 2018. Only 10 nearly 9 months left already !

However, keeping the Leaf is always going to be the most sensible option but I'm looking at loosing the least possible but at my mileage it's a fair bit and considering the battery is unbelievably good after 60,500 Kms it would serve my commute for years.

I suppose to make the above clearer,

If they were going to offer me 14 K then I'd have to pay 1,460 to clear the loan. next year my lease ends, I pay the 12,500 , walk or get a new contract and rather than pay 1,460 to clear the loan now I might as well see what's available at the end of the year and put any money I have to pay in cash towards that rather than spend 12,500 or the cost to change today.

Lets say next year they offer me 11 K for the Leaf, well then that's lower than the GFMV so what the garage will do is close the deal on my leaf and Nissan take the loss and I hop into a new car and pay another fortune over another 3 years lol this is why I say no matter what it always makes sense to keep it.

If I bought the Leaf on finance and it's worth 10 K after then I'm in a worse situation it just so happens that they adjusted the GFMV for 2017 so you take all the loss, you're paying a significant amount of money over 3 years to make PCP non viable.

The Idea of PCP was to keep you coming back paying as little as possible but with a 5,500 GFMV that means you're paying so much that you may as well buy it outright. On the other hand there's no way the Leaf will be worth 5,500 in 3 years and you'll most likely have a decent deposit at the end it's just Nissan are guaranteeing that there's no way in hell they're going to be at a loss. But they've basically destroyed the advantage of PCP meaning little monthly payments.

Tempted very much by the Ioniq then :)

Tempted very much by the Ioniq then :)

Just remember Hyundai have stated they will offer more range possibly by the end of the year and the New Leaf or whatever that was in the spy shots should be die then too.

So far the garage hasn't called me back.

Judging by my 15.3 Kwh/100 kms yesterday a 40 Kwh battery would give a range of 261 kms to empty.

60 Kwh would give 373 Kms or maybe a bit less due to extra weight.

• Advertisement

Better is always around the corner. I want a new Tesla Model 3 next year, but it's not gonna happen. It won't be here on time and I won't have the cash :p

If I were you, Mad_Lad, I'd hang on to the Leaf until the lease is up, try and save as much as you can and buy cash next time. PCP means they have you by the balls. Cash means better discounts and complete flexibility buying and selling whenever you want.

Indeed cash is always king if you have 30 K in the bank to spare :-)

I have plenty for a deposit now so I may as well hang on to it another year. I am quiet keen to know what automation Nissan plan for the next leaf (motorway driving in certain conditions) can mean anything but I long for something to take the unbelievable strain out of driving home after night shifts.

When are you due to get your Ioniq ?

I have plenty for a deposit now so I may as well hang on to it another year. I am quiet keen to know what automation Nissan plan for the next leaf (motorway driving in certain conditions) can mean anything but I long for something to take the unbelievable strain out of driving home after night shifts.

When are you due to get your Ioniq ?

I would probably make you an offer on your Leaf and throw my ICE into the mix, which would give you the chance to get the scrappage deal, but you will be waiting about 2 months for the Ioniq. You could literally die if you didn't have an EV in all that time :D

I plan to buy something inside the next 2-3 weeks.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,138 ✭✭✭✭KCross

Judging by my 15.3 Kwh/100 kms yesterday a 40 Kwh battery would give a range of 261 kms to empty.

60 Kwh would give 373 Kms or maybe a bit less due to extra weight.

I dont have any figures to quote but isnt the extra weight a significant inhibitor... the Zoe 40 being a prime example where they doubled the capacity but the range was only increased a "small bit".... certainly far below expectations and thats an apples-apples comparison as it is in the same car, same aerodynamics etc... only change is the kWh capacity.

So, all the talk of getting a 40kWh or even a 60kWh could be a major let down when it comes to range unless the battery density figures have changed recently?

Any thoughts?

I would probably make you an offer on your Leaf and throw my ICE into the mix, which would give you the chance to get the scrappage deal, but you will be waiting about 2 months for the Ioniq. You could literally die if you didn't have an EV in all that time :D

I plan to buy something inside the next 2-3 weeks.

Whoever gets my leaf at the end will be lucky. I never leave it much beyond 50% charge when not using it or when I really know I'm not I leave it around 30-40%.

There's about 240 fast charges on it and showing 100% health as the day I got it.

And the Nissan reported 5 stars for everything which also monitors time left at a high charge %.

Whoever gets my leaf at the end will be lucky. I never leave it much beyond 50% charge when not using it or when I really know I'm not I leave it around 30-40%.

There's about 240 fast charges on it and showing 100% health as the day I got it.

And the Nissan reported 5 stars for everything which also monitors time left at a high charge %.

What mileage does she have? Actually, revert to PM rather than clog up this thread.

I'm just trying to compare the Hyundai sales people to Paul in Barlo Nissan and there really is no comparison, Paul is exceptional. It was like he had no base salary and selling the leaf meant this weeks salary lol. The Hyundai sales men ? just plain uninterested. Sure if I said I wanted it they would have sold it to me but they made absolutely 0 effort.

Michael Lyng Carlow Town. Perhaps someone else might have a different experience.

What mileage does she have? Actually, revert to PM rather than clog up this thread.

151 64,500 Kms

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,638 ✭✭✭zilog_jones

TBH if I wanted a test drive at a main dealer for a new car I'd phone/email ahead and book an appointment. I'm sure they get tyre kickers all the time.
    I'd say the problem is more a lack of experience or resources - they've probably had little to no training on selling EVs so may have no confidence in being able to make a sale. Maybe Hyundai Ireland could be doing a better job at this, but it's going to take time anyway. Nissan have had a few years' head start at this :)

Also for them, it's somewhat disruptive technology as it will make big changes to after-sales service (i.e. less after-sales service in general compared to an ICE car) - which they may also not like at a dealer level.

I can also see why a Hyundai dealer would see a used Leaf as a burden - BEVs are still a niche product, they may not have a convenient place to charge it (and they'll never have CHAdeMO), wouldn't know how to service it, etc. It would be a much easier sell at a Nissan dealer or a specialist - but that doesn't really help you...

151 64,500 Kms

Certainly getting a few miles out of her alright.

• Advertisement

You would have more than 30k in the bank to spare if you went second hand once or twice, saved your monthly PCP payments and didn't have to pay any interest on the loan ;)

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 23,019 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

unkel wrote: »
    Cash means better discounts and complete flexibility buying and selling whenever you want.

But not necessarily. Banks seem to be only offering loans at about 8% interest, but I see a lot of PCP deals for about 4%

I know you would then have to refinance the remainder. But surely say 4% on the first €15k and then 8% on the remaining €15k is less then 8% on the full €30k?

Or am I missing something?

Of course if you have €30k savings to spend on a car, then that is a different story.

But PCP seems like it can be a good deal if they are offering a decent discount on the interest rate. Even better if you save the difference for the three years to pay for the remainder at the end?

With cash I meant cash in the bank, not getting a loan :)

My point is that it is a lot cheaper to "save" your PCP payments over a few years and drive cheaper cars and from then on keep buying cars, even brand new cars, with cash. And I wouldn't like the idea of borrowing money for something like a car which isn't really an asset. But each to their own.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,927 ✭✭✭Soarer

bk wrote: »
    But not necessarily. Banks seem to be only offering loans at about 8% interest, but I see a lot of PCP deals for about 4%

I know you would then have to refinance the remainder. But surely say 4% on the first €15k and then 8% on the remaining €15k is less then 8% on the full €30k?

Or am I missing something?

Of course if you have €30k savings to spend on a car, then that is a different story.

But PCP seems like it can be a good deal if they are offering a decent discount on the interest rate. Even better if you save the difference for the three years to pay for the remainder at the end?

Yeah you are.

You pay 4% on the full €30k, and then you'd pay 8% on the remaining €15k.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 23,019 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

Soarer wrote: »
    Yeah you are.

You pay 4% on the full €30k, and then you'd pay 8% on the remaining €15k.

That would still work out cheaper, I believe.

30k @ 4% for 3 years + 15k @ 8% for another 3 years = €3806 in interest

Versus

30k @ 8% for 6 years = €7,871 in interest

30k @ 8% for 3 years = €3,843 in interest

Looks like big savings going with PCP if they offer a reduced rate. You could pay the same amount in interest if you do it over just 3 years, but then you would be paying almost double per month.

I keep seeing people say PCP's are a bad deal, but I think they can be great value if they offer a cheap interest rate and you understand how to use it properly.

Probably the best way to use a PCP is take the cheap rate, but every month for the three years, save the extra amount you would need to pay off thr lump some at the end.

At the end you can then look at your options, trade up or pay off the lump sum. But either way you would have benefited from a cheaper interest rate.

Of course Unkel is right, cash is the best option. Though I would be careful about putting all your savings straight into a car. What if an unexpected expense came up, boiler goes, someone gets sick, etc. and now you have no liquid cash.

Even if you have the cash, 4% would be a pretty cheap loan and maybe not a bad way to keep cash available if needed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,087 ✭✭✭isnottheword

bk wrote: »
    I keep seeing people say PCP's are a bad deal, but I think they can be great value if they offer a cheap interest rate and you understand how to use it properly.
    I guess you have to run the numbers on it - but are there not strict conditions that you have to commit to ref. annual mileage and stuff like that? Have there not been issues with GFV levels in the past?

12.5 k offered for my Leaf hahahahahaha lmao

Remind us, what is it again? Year and spec?

As always, you're far better off selling your own car and getting a cash deal. A dealer offering you €12.5k will have to retail the car for €16k to cover his admin / advertising costs, full valet of the car, offering warranty, an allowable discount and of course his profit. Who's gonna pay for most of that? Yes, you got that right: the person trading in their car ;)

151 65,500 kms SVE Spec , 6.6 kw charger.

• Advertisement

12.5 k offered for my Leaf hahahahahaha lmao

Is that bad? I'm looking around and THIS is one I spotted out of interest and would consider. Was going to post on the forum for opinions of it and others. Low miles.

151 65,500 kms SVE Spec , 6.6 kw charger.

Well you can get a 161 30kWh now for £13.5k asking (see slave1's post from yesterday)

That offer from the main dealer was quite generous so really. Sorry, not really what you want to hear, but that's what you're up against. But what was the €12.5k against? €28,495 Ioniq EV plus metallic? But what total cost to change was he talking about for the Ioniq on the road?

Yes in the U.K but we're not in the U.K , I'd say the majority of Leaf 2nd hand buyers don't buy from the U.K.

I think Leaf dealers are taking the P**S. They don't want leafs coming back because they don't want to sell them because they don't make as much money on servicing.

I suppose it could have been worse, I got PCP at the right time so the worst that can happen me next year is that I've no deposit and if the value of it is 8 K next year for instance it won't bother me. I did say here that I went in with my eyes open and wasn't going on PCP expecting a deposit. I do think Nissan dealers are not playing fair.

Why would I pay 12.5 K balloon if the car is worth 10-11 K ? I'd be better off getting a new contract on another car and just going regular finance unless Nissan adjust their GFMV upwards.

They have the GFMV now at 5,500 but the monthly payments are a lot higher so that PCP is non viable, there's no way the car will be worth 5,500 in 3 years so they adjusted it to absolute rock bottom to cover themselves just in case and it's more likely you'll have a significant deposit but you'd be paying a lot more per month so the advantage of PCP on a Leaf today is Nil.

I guess you have to run the numbers on it - but are there not strict conditions that you have to commit to ref. annual mileage and stuff like that? Have there not been issues with GFV levels in the past?

The GFMV is the final payment, if you decide to buy it outright. That is the max you pay. Milage etc. only comes into play if you decide to trade it in. So if you are planning to keep the car anyway, it doesn't matter, all that matters is that you potentially just saved €3000 in interest.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,615 ✭✭✭grogi

Yes in the U.K but we're not in the U.K

No, we are not. But the market here is very much influenced by what is available on the other side of the Irish Sea. You can get a grand, maybe two of "convenience fee" - but that's all you'll get for not being in UK.

• Advertisement

This is the new I30 Estate,

Why can't they make it electric ? just look at that boot !!!

22468508158ad5b5f5150b.jpg?itok=t2yjinao

grogi wrote: »
    No, we are not. But the market here is very much influenced by what is available on the other side of the Irish Sea. You can get a grand, maybe two of "convenience fee" - but that's all you'll get for not being in UK.

Could be dramatically effected once the U.K leave the E.U ?.

This is the new I30 Estate,

Why can't they make it electric ? just look at that boot !!!

Looks like a Mazda 5

But look at the Boot ! :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,615 ✭✭✭grogi

Could be dramatically effected once the U.K leave the E.U ?.

Could, of course... Do you want to keep it for another three years?

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement