Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Hyundai Ioniq 28kWh

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,138 ✭✭✭✭KCross

unkel wrote: »
    Ioniq expected to have low depreciation / high residual value

Linky

Not sure how they came up with those figures. The things they quoted could be said about the Leaf as well (efficiency, acceleration etc). I'd take it with a pinch of salt to be honest

Also, why are the UK figures so much less than all the rest of Europe.... sterling?
    The rest all hover around 50% which is much the same as any other car (50% after 3 yrs is typical).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 65,751 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

KCross wrote: »
    Not sure how they came up with those figures.

Neither do I. But it's their business to predict these figures. They probably have models for it. These predictions have a direct impact on lease terms and lease company profitability.

Leaf is an old inefficient car on its last legs, plenty of them around second hand for sale. Ioniq is a new efficient car, hard to get your hands on new, almost impossible to get one second hand. Why the Leaf depreciates more is not so hard to reason :D

Neither do I. But it's their business to predict these figures. They probably have models for it. These predictions have a direct impact on lease terms and lease company profitability.

Leaf is an old inefficient car on its last legs, plenty of them around second hand for sale. Ioniq is a new efficient car, hard to get your hands on new, almost impossible to get one second hand. Why the Leaf depreciates more is not so hard to reason :D

My point was, the reasons they gave for the Ioniq holding value could be said of the Leaf as well and clearly it doesnt retain its value so I cant see how they can use those reasons for the Ioniq.

I guess it's just a press release from a fleet branch organisation (Fleet Europe). I doubt Eurotaxglass are going to share the details of their data models in there. They'd be out of business :D

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 8,061 Mod ✭✭✭✭liamog

The GMFV went up in Ireland from Jan to Feb on the PCP Scrappage deal.
    From €7,979 to €9,118

Clearly Hyundai have more confidence in the residuals.

Personally, I have zero confidence in the impact of GMFV on PCP contracts on the real depreciation :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,615 ✭✭✭grogi

Personally, I have zero confidence in GMFV on PCP contracts :D

GMFV is there to reduce monthly payments, but keep the dealer so nobody walks out of the deal handling the car back.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 8,061 Mod ✭✭✭✭liamog

Personally, I have zero confidence in GMFV on PCP contracts :D

Same here, some people complained about the low value.
    I treated it as how big does my loan need to be in three years!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,087 ✭✭✭isnottheword

peposhi wrote: »
    A lad with an Ioniq on the Facebook EV page is having an issue with charging the car. It won't start charging... He bought it 2-3 weeks a go.
    He's reporting that he brought it back to Hyundai and they are saying it's a faulty charging module....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,638 ✭✭✭zilog_jones

cros13 wrote: »
    Well, so far in 2017, it looks like the BEV Ioniq is more than 70% of sales, and 15% of total european sales.
    Betcha' Hyundai Ireland HQ did a double take....

BEV outsold hybrid in the UK too.

It's impressive, but I wonder if selling one car with three different drivetrain options has just made things too confusing for the average car buyer? Or are those looking for normal petrol hybrids just going straight to Toyota or Honda, who have the experience and reputation in this market?

The BEV version is probably doing so well as there's much less choice, and it compares very favourably to the alternatives right now - people looking for BEVs will certainly know about the Ioniq EV specifically.

The PHEV will be a hard sell due to cost. It could suit those who only have one car, short commute but also want to be able to do long distances without perceived "hassle" of public charging - but it may not make much financial sense. It's not like the BMW 330e or Outlander PHEV where there are no BEV alternatives in that segment.

PHEV and hybrid make no financial sense. You get a cheaper car yet it costs you thousands more (compared to BEV)

From what I can gather, with the Irish subsidies and Hyundai scrappage, we might have the cheapest Ioniq EV in the EU :cool:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 763 ✭✭✭Bif

PHEV and hybrid make no financial sense. You get a cheaper car yet it costs you thousands more (compared to BEV)

From what I can gather, with the Irish subsidies and Hyundai scrappage, we might have the cheapest Ioniq EV in the EU :cool:

What price would an Ioniq be for a straight deal?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,585 ✭✭✭jca

Bif wrote: »

Straight deal? You've got to keep with the times man, tis all PCP now!!!

Bif wrote: »

RRP is €28,495 minus €4,000 guaranteed scrappage (supposed to be finished today, yeah right :p), so €24,495 + delivery and optional extras -/- the discount you negotiate

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 763 ✭✭✭Bif

RRP is €28,495 minus €4,000 guaranteed scrappage (supposed to be finished today, yeah right :p), so €24,495 + delivery and optional extras -/- the discount you negotiate
    Cheers. Anybody here got any idea what the "discount you negotiate" would be, give or take?

• Advertisement

You should aim for the RRP, so zero delivery and related charges. So the car on the road (without extras) for €24,495 all-in with mats. Not saying you will easily get this, given the already generous €4,000 scrappage from Hyundai, but it can be done or close enough give or take a couple of hundred.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,927 ✭✭✭Soarer

Do your haggling when you're prepared to put down the deposit. It helps focus their mind if they've got someone ready to go.

Also, if you're not in a massive hurry, you'll probably get a better deal closer to July 1st.

Soarer wrote: »
    Do your haggling when you're prepared to put down the deposit.

That's the golden rule for buying a car. The seller has to be convinced you are ready to do the deal there and then (metaphorically, can be done over the phone / email) before you can push them to the edge of what they are able to do for you.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,404 ✭✭✭peposhi

Not an expert here, but from what I have read over the years - depending on your negotiating skills, cash in hand and dealer's pressure to sell - you may get anything between 1-4K discount... I would not count on that though... they are not under pressure to sell

Got the VIN for my car, delivery scheduled for 29/03/2017 :)

• Advertisement

BEV
    69 registered in January
    27 registered in February

Hybrid
    29 registered in January
    4 registered in February

Not bad considering how tight the stock is, I'd say they're surprised at the fuel mix.

I see some buyers in the UK who recently ordered the Premium SE are having to wait until June for delivery!!!

So count yourself lucky its the paddy spec you are getting! :)(dives for cover!)

liamog wrote: »
    BEV
    69 registered in January
    27 registered in February

Hybrid
    29 registered in January
    4 registered in February

Not bad considering how tight the stock is, I'd say they're surprised at the fuel mix.

SIMI are reporting a big drop (21%) in new car sales for Feb and 9% for Jan-Feb so it will be interesting to see how EV is doing relative to that:

UK Imports seems to be the main factor.

EDIT: Quick beepbeep query.... Jan-Feb in 2016 import 7 used BEV. Jan-Feb in 2017 imported 51! Tiny numbers but significantly increasing all the same.

And....as I expected, Hyundai extended the scrappage again today :D

This time though, the website is starting to sound threatening:

"The Hyundai final fortnight event - March 3rd to March 16th"

"Trade in, book before March 16th and register by March 31st to get a generous Scrappage Bonus of up to €4,000."

Maybe this time it is ending. If I were about to buy an Ioniq EV anyway, I would not wait till after the 16th. Without the scrappage, the Ioniq EV is not the superb proposition that it is now imho. Probably still the best value EV out there, but I wouldn't have bought the car if I had to pay €28.5k or anywhere near that kinda money. I'd still be in an ICE for another year or two...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,160 ✭✭✭crackcrack30

Sales bonus are usually calculated month to month... Some say you get a better deal on the last day/s of the month ? The scrappage deal probably levers this for the salesmen..... just like added free extras/specs when a car is coming close to the end of production line...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,656 ✭✭✭deepimpact

Just got a call from my dealer about a stereo head unit recall in my hybrid.
    Seems to be a small-scale recall.

Any details of the issue? Is the unit the same in Hybrid / BEV / PHEV do you know?

There seems to be a few recalls for the Ioniq already without any major mileage on the clocks.

Grinding brakes
    Stereo Head Unit

I see a few others mentioned outside this forum from a few months ago around rolling backwards and throttle issues.

Did they rush to market? I suppose every new model off the line will have teething issues. Lets hope they got the battery and charge rate right! :)

Is there any online tool to view all recalls for cars?

Rush to market? Hardly.

Ioniq EV was launched for sale (in Korea) nearly a year ago. I believe it sold a thousand EV over there in the first month alone. The only recall / issue in the BEV I'm aware of is the brake grinding which can be easily fixed by chamfering the rear pads. The official fix I believe is to fit the pads from the hybrid to the BEV

Rush to market? Hardly.

Ioniq EV was launched for sale (in Korea) nearly a year ago. I believe it sold a thousand EV over there in the first month alone. The only recall / issue in the BEV I'm aware of is the brake grinding which can be easily fixed by chamfering the rear pads. The official fix I believe is to fit the pads from the hybrid to the BEV

Had to look that one up. Thats my new word for today! :)

• Advertisement

Any details of the issue? Is the unit the same in Hybrid / BEV / PHEV do you know?

Not sure, they're collecting the car soon (the joys of working a stones throw away from the local dealer), so I'll corner them and ask.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,638 ✭✭✭zilog_jones

Crappy headunit software on launch seems to be fairly common these days, though there must have been something pretty bad about it for there to be an outright recall. I'd imagine there would be significant changes made to the UI for export markets, as Korean text takes up less space than Latin-based script (characters are based on syllables), and there would be different radio standards, possibly different satnav providers regionally, etc.

Lack of remote app for the Ioniq would put me off I have to say though I'm sure those who never had it won't miss it.

Right, seems that there was an issue with certain AV units in certain chassis, but they're replacing mine as a precaution. The AV units are tied to the chassis from the factory, so it's a half day job for the dealer.

Seems I got one of the first hybrids to roll off the ferry and Hyundai Ireland didn't have time to sort it before it ended up on a flatbed.

I could't get an answer about what models were affected though. I know there's a local with the electric, so I'll ask him when he's in next.

• Registered Users Posts: 945 ✭✭✭Jakey Rolling

Lack of remote app for the Ioniq would put me off I have to say though I'm sure those who never had it won't miss it.

Never had it, but it would be the main thing that would sell the idea of an EV to my wife - having the car preheated on the cold winter mornings!

My only experience of this was was in Winnipeg, where the guy from our local office had his ICE rigged so that he could start it remotely, with the doors still locked. May be a common thing there? Kinda handy when its -25C outside.

100412.2526@compuserve.com

You can still set the heat via the head unit timer function but the ability to set the heat remotely and /or charging is just simply brilliant and very convenient.

I believe you can do all that in the Ioniq with Alexa / Google Home with voice commands. Wouldn't even have to get your phone out to do it, that's so 2011 :p

If you want to do it the old way, isn't there this "Blue Link" app (Apple / Android). Not really for me as I use Windows phone. Do have Alexa at home though, so might play with it once I have the car and I'm bored...

I don't want to talk to my phone especially in work if I need to activate heat or charging, that's just ridiculous.

Yes supposedly they're working on remote functions but They should have had an app at launch.

Talk to your phone? That's not how Alexa / Google Home work ;)

• Advertisement

Ioniq best selling EV in the Netherlands now. Interesting top 6:

1. Hyundai IONIQ Electric
    2. BMW i3 BEV
    3. Renault ZOE
    4. Tesla Model S
    5. Nissan LEAF
    6. Tesla Model X

Even though the Ioniq is about €35k over there after incentives. I wouldn't be surprised if the Tesla Model 3 will be the best selling EV once it is available.

Got the car back before 6 today, apparently the VIN wasn't in the batch for the AV recall, so there was no need to change out the head unit. It is in the VIN range for the brake issue that some EV owners have reported, I didn't realise that it affected the hybrid too.

I also put my name down for the 40kWh EV whenever it becomes available :D

Have you the VIN ranges for the recalls or if not, is there a chance you can get them from your dealer? Would be much appreciated!

I'll give it a shot. No harm in asking anyway.

Cheers man!

BTW I found a VIN decoder but it is clearly not yet fully setup for the Ioniq. Interesting to have a look though :)

VIN Decoder Linky

Especially for Mad_Lad - this is the way forward, not an app on a phone, which is a slow and outdated form of automation / control.

I've Alexa myself and it was dead handy for all the Christmas tree lights throughout the house and outside: "Alexa, lights off" did the trick at night instead of unplugging 10 different yokes like we did before.

For the Ioniq:

ioniq-3_Amazon_Alexa_Hyundai-604x270.jpg

Owner: “Alexa, ask Blue Link to start charging my Ioniq.”
    Alexa: “Request for remote charging your Ioniq has been sent.”

Owner: “Alexa, tell Blue Link to start my car at 80 degrees.”
    Alexa: “Request for remote starting your car with climate control has been sent.”

Owner: “Alexa, ask Blue Link to lock my Santa Fe.”
    Alexa: “Request for remote locking your Santa Fe has been sent.”

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,285 ✭✭✭cros13

*cough* from last october... BMW released Alexa "skill" so that Amazon Echo can talk to i3:
    https://www.press.bmwgroup.com/usa/article/detail/T0264616EN_US/bmw-connected-%E2%80%93-your-personal-mobility-companion-gets-an-important-update-plus-availability-for-alexa

I have an echo dot in the i3 I use to command smartthings back at home (I can access smartthings from the BMW smarthings app in iDrive but it only supports scenes not individual devices). It's really handy because the car echo dot relays the command to smartthings to one of the echos at home which sends the command to the smart home device over the local network.

Hyundai has copied BMW as well in offering a IFTTT service.

....the first step to recovery is admitting I'm a bleeding edge early adopter, right?

Screenshot_20170302_235427.png

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,295 ✭✭✭n97 mini

Especially for Mad_Lad - this is the way forward, not an app on a phone, which is a slow and outdated form of automation / control.

Dunno about that. Everyone has a mobile. Very few have Alexa, and that ratio is not going to improve much...

"Proprietary voice recognition system which virtually no one has: ask my lucky to be supported car to do something useful"

*cough* from last october... BMW released Alexa "skill"

Well the Hyundai Alexa skill was from last November, so they were hardly very far behind :p
    I have an echo dot in the i3 I use to command smartthings back at home (I can access smartthings from the BMW smarthings app in iDrive

Jaysus, I'd never have thought of doing that. I take it the BMW has a built in sim card and you have a data subscription? Ioniq doesn't have that, but it does have wifi (I think?) and you can use your smartphone as an access point. That way the Ioniq updates the real time traffic alerts etc.

I think I'll sit back and relax and wait till someone else has done all the hard work with an Ioniq before sticking an Echo Dot in my car though :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,460 ✭✭✭✭DrPhilG

My only experience of this was was in Winnipeg, where the guy from our local office had his ICE rigged so that he could start it remotely, with the doors still locked. May be a common thing there? Kinda handy when its -25C outside.

"Command Start".

My best friend lives in Winterpeg too and it is quite common. In the summer you want to start the car and the ac to cool it, and in the winter you want it defrosted and warm.

They also tend to plug in their ICE cars at night to keep them from freezing solid, the oil and fuel etc would freeze when it's -30, -40 or -mytesticles

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 23,019 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

n97 mini wrote: »
    Dunno about that. Everyone has a mobile. Very few have Alexa, and that ratio is not going to improve much...

"Proprietary voice recognition system which virtually no one has: ask my lucky to be supported car to do something useful"

In fairness I doubt anyone who can afford a €30k car can't also afford €50 for an echo dot!

Maybe they could even throw one in for free. The dot that is! :D

Also they also support Google Home / Google Assistant now:

https://androidcommunity.com/hyundais-blue-link-agent-starts-working-with-the-google-assistant-20170104/

And note Google just announced a few days ago that they are going to roll Google Assistant out to most Android phones over the next few months.

Finally if you don't want to use voice, then you could use the Google Assistant in the Google Allo app, it is purely text based.

If they launch support for IFTTT soon, then it would work with loads of IFTTT apps, widgets and buttons on your phone.

What it looks like they have done is actually build a pretty solid foundation with their Blue Link API. THey and other third parties can then integrate it into lots of different apps and devices, pretty damn cool.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement