Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Hyundai Ioniq 28kWh

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,285 ✭✭✭cros13

grogi wrote: »
    EEee?! Domestic three-phase supply of 230V can be compared to a single phase 400V; but you cannot multiply it again... Three phase 32A supply can provide ~ 13kW of power.

Not sure what you mean there. The image posted was of a 400V/3-Phase/32A commercial wall mounted Rolec. I assume it's a work/destination charger not that Mope is considering purchasing one for home use.

And I'm just simplifying the other numbers. A 12kVA 230V single-phase domestic connection for EV charging purposes maxes out at 11.59kW because you can at max maintain a power factor of 0.8 for continuous loads.

• Registered Users Posts: 452 ✭✭Mope

I am sorry, didn't want to get anyone upset here. You are correct, this is charging point at my work where currently Tesla is charged. I was just looking to know if I can charge here and how safe would it be, I mean would it be normal charge or fast charge.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,285 ✭✭✭cros13

Mope wrote: »
    I am sorry, didn't want to get anyone upset here.

We're an opinionated bunch in this forum... you'll get used to us! :D
    You are correct, this is charging point at my work where currently Tesla is charged. I was just looking to know if I can charge here and how safe would it be, I mean would it be normal charge or fast charge.

EV chargepoints and the EVs themselves have layers upon layers of built-in safety features and will cleanly deal with all sorts of faults without causing damage to your vehicle.
    In fact the method of charging to be most careful of is the EVSE with the standard three-pin plug on the end.

You'd charge at 7kW, same as you would from a 32A home chargepoint. From an empty battery in an Ioniq that's ~4 hours. You'd get on average about 30% of the Ioniq's battery charged every hour (The 4 hours includes a slow start for an empty battery and a slow period as the battery is topped off and/or balanced).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,702 ✭✭✭✭BoatMad

32A amps in a 3 phase systems gives approx 22kW of power at a PF of 1

the VLN , is VLL/sqroot ( 3) so a VLL of 400V 3 phase gives approx a VLN 230 VAC , 32A is available per Leg , i.e. 230 x 32 amps x 3 = 22KW, which is why the label is so stated on the charger you refer to, Its a 3 phase charger and hence is capable of delivering 22kW in that configuration , assuming the charger in the car can accept such power

this would compare to 7.3kW in a similar single phase system , rated at 32A. ( you can essentially at a simplistic level , treat 3 phase as three single phases providing power in parallel )

And I'm just simplifying the other numbers. A 12kVA 230V single-phase domestic connection for EV charging purposes maxes out at 11.59kW because you can at max maintain a power factor of 0.8 for continuous loads.

Leaf PF ranges basically from 0.98 at low power to 0.99 at full power, this is typical of switched mode power supplies as they are least efficient at low levels of power conversion

https://avt.inl.gov/sites/default/files/pdf/fsev/SteadyStateLoadCharacterization2015Leaf.pdf

EEee?! Domestic three-phase supply of 230V can be compared to a single phase 400V; but you cannot multiply it again... Three phase 32A supply can provide ~ 13kW of power.

3phase power rated at 32A using the conventional understanding of such terminology , i.e. 32A per leg, provides 22Kw of total power ignoring reactive power i.e. 22kVA

on the other hand a 3 phase load drawing a total of 32A , assuming balanced phases and a PF of 1, would be consuming 10.6A per leg , or 7360 kW in total

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,615 ✭✭✭grogi

cros13 wrote: »
    Not sure what you mean there. The image posted was of a 400V/3-Phase/32A commercial wall mounted Rolec. I assume it's a work/destination charger not that Mope is considering purchasing one for home use.
    BoatMad wrote: »
    3phase power rated at 32A using the conventional understanding of such terminology , i.e. 32A per leg, provides 22Kw of total power ignoring reactive power i.e. 22kVA

on the other hand a 3 phase load drawing a total of 32A , assuming balanced phases and a PF of 1, would be consuming 10.6A per leg , or 7360 kW in total

I've educated myself about three-phase supplies. Appologies for stealing the thread - but are those 400V on each phase (with cross-phase voltage of ~700V)?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,509 ✭✭✭Donnelly117

I've educated myself about three-phase supplies. Appologies for stealing the thread - but are those 400V on each phase (with cross-phase voltage of ~700V)?

No its 220 per phase. So in total would be 220 + 220*0.866 giving 410v ish with 120 degrees between phases...
    3 phase is measured between 2 phases, not between phase and neutral like a single phase supply would be. Giving a phase lag between them, of 120 degrees
    I think that's about right, been a while since college electrical days!

VLL (live to live ) for 3phase in Ireland is 400V
    VLN (live to neutral ) is VLL/ sqroot(3) or approx 230 VAC

3 phase doesn't need a neutral and for example 3phase motors don't use them , as Nickoli Tesla demonstrated that 120 degree phase shifted supplies can automatically be used to cause mechanical rotation

However in many cases 3phase is used combined with a neutral to in effect provide 3x single phase power.

• Advertisement

Great information there BoadMad.

samih wrote: »
    Great information there BoadMad.

30 years an EE has to count for something !!!.

H , wonder if Iconiq owners might comment

Aside from two owners of Iconiqs I met ( BEV version) , that mentioned small niggles, I had a comment from an ex-Hyundai owner, that said he won't buy another as he found it hard to trade in other dealers and that the interior began to degrade quicker then he expected and in particular the seats.

( This was an ICE)

any comments, cause on the face of it an Iconiq say in 2018 with a bigger battery would be a hell of a small EV

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,553 ✭✭✭Fiery mutant

Any small niggles I have had, have paled in significance to the absolute joy I get from driving it. I haven't noticed any degradation in the seats, or anything else in the interior. The car tells me everything I need to know, and any mates I've had in it, who all drive ICE cars, are amazed at it.

I can't see myself going back to an ICE car. As for Hyundai models overall, I used to drive the original i30, and I loved that car too. The only issue I had with that, was a buckled alloy. Had it for 5 years, interior was great, car ran perfect, and it was the main reason why I felt comfortable going for another Hyundai.

We should defend our way of life to an extent that any attempt on it is crushed, so that any adversary will never make such an attempt in the future.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 8,061 Mod ✭✭✭✭liamog

This was our first Hyundai, anybody I spoke to who had one before said that they've really improved over the last 10 year.

We've had one or two niggles, which is not surprising considering it's a new model, but other than that I would strongly recommend it.

Depends what he/she was wearing most of the time :D
    You know sometimes simple button on jeans pocket can rip your seat and from there there is no way back...

Jokes aside, yes, that is worrying if anywhere true. I have little to no info regarding Hyundai in terms of reliability, but frankly, did not care much after test drove Ioniq 8)

• Advertisement

Starting to get excited about car docking tomorrow 8) (I hope it does) the rest is up to dealer's grace to see how quick I can lay my hands on it! 8)

Not so concerned about Charging point as there is on on the way home in Turvey service station (with 3 bays and 3 different type of Chargers)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 65,751 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

+1

My dealer also confirmed today that the cars are landing in Ireland tomorrow :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,460 ✭✭✭Evd-Burner

Starting to get excited about car docking tomorrow 8) (I hope it does) the rest is up to dealer's grace to see how quick I can lay my hands on it! 8)

Not so concerned about Charging point as there is on on the way home in Turvey service station (with 3 bays and 3 different type of Chargers)

Think there's only the 2 bays.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,087 ✭✭✭isnottheword

Evd-Burner wrote: »
    Think there's only the 2 bays.

You could use this in the interim - whilst you bide your time and shop for a decent price on an after-market home charge point - having your own sparks install.

Mope's and my Ioniqs are supposed to be in the country today. Should have it next week, pushing to have it quickly

Good news is that my dealer checked my VIN against the rear brake recall and it's not showing up. He reckons it means the issue was addressed in the factory before my car was manufactured.

• Advertisement

As soon as unkel reminded me about the car things (yes yes, I know even such exciting moment can be forgotten when you busy at work) I rang my dealer to check on status (5.30 PM). Basically story is that my car will not be registered until Grant is approved. The approval is at 3rd stage of 5, which according to them is "on the straight line". We then receive an offer by email (what?!) to which we have to say yes - and only then Dealer can register the car. So yes, maybe by Tuesday will get to drive it away.
    Good thing is my Public Access Card is in the post already (two of them actually).

unkel, I was trying to Google some info re recall, but could not find anything on a quick hand (I admit, I spent maybe 20 min max on it). Would dealer or, Should dealer know about it and if I ask he won't say: What are you talking about?

is there a break in period for EV cars? :]

Dealer should know. And if he doesn't, tell him there's a recall on the Ioniq and he'll be able to see it on his system.

Is there a separate thread about Gadgets and any toys for big boys in car/phone and etc for Ioniq? I saw somewhere you guys spoke that Hyundai is way behind Leaf in terms of app (or lack of it) and functionality.

Like this one: https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.stationdm.bluelink&hl=en

There is an app but it's US only. Have a full read through this thread (I know it's long, but it's worth it), the good thing is that Ioniq is Alexa enabled :cool:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,656 ✭✭✭deepimpact

Better late than pregnant, but the dealer came back to me. Data protection was mentioned, so it looks like I can't get the VIN range of the AV unit recall. Best off hassling individual dealers to make sure to check.

Best of luck with the new Ioniq, but we need a few more hybrids here. It can't be just me.

Dealer confirmed that our Ioniqs have indeed landed in port. Waiting for customs clearance. Only a matter of days now, probably early next week that we have them :)

Interesting email just received from ESB with a diagram on it. It actually has a picture of a cable running from Consumer Unit over through wall to the wall mounted Charger with 32A cable!
    see attached

basically my Charging Point was approved, 14 days now until it is installed!

I got that too at the time. But installer will only use 4mm2 16A cable. Unless you convince him to use 6mm2 32A cable, like I did. I supplied the 5m cable which cost me €10 + €5 delivery.

unkel wrote: »
    I got that too at the time. But installer will only use 4mm2 16A cable. Unless you convince him to use 6mm2 32A cable, like I did. I supplied the 5m cable which cost me €10 + €5 delivery.

installer had absolutely no issue upping cable to 6sq , and also fitted a blue 32A rated wall socket so that EVSE should be unplugged as needed

Sounds like I'd need to take day of work to get this installed properly :/ If he comes in when my au pair is home he will install 4mm2 and go home :[

• Advertisement

Took him maybe 1.5 hours in my gaff, quick and neat job.

I am sure it's quick job, but if it's like with all contractors, where you agree 10 AM, but he shows up 1 PM... it becomes full day off work

BoatMad wrote: »
    installer had absolutely no issue upping cable to 6sq

For free, using his own cable as part of the completely free ESB install? You didn't pay a cent? You did better than I did so, fair play to ya!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,241 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

I'm sure he meant when you provide the uprated cable?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 970 ✭✭✭oinkely

My installer went crazy and used 10 square, oh wait, it was me and that's what my electrician had in stock in armoured cable! I should be well covered for future upgrades. Horrible stuff to work with though, awkward and very heavy. Can't see any reason whey any installer should object if you hand them the 6 square though.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,404 ✭✭✭peposhi

unkel wrote: »
    Dealer confirmed that our Ioniqs have indeed landed in port. Waiting for customs clearance. Only a matter of days now, probably early next week that we have them :)

Itchy hands :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 763 ✭✭✭Bif

oinkely wrote: »
    My installer went crazy and used 10 square, oh wait, it was me and that's what my electrician had in stock in armoured cable! I should be well covered for future upgrades. Horrible stuff to work with though, awkward and very heavy. Can't see any reason whey any installer should object if you hand them the 6 square though.

Nice feeling to have...Enjoy!

My car is registered in Ireland, I've got the reg number. Not in the dealers yet though, but hopefully very soon :)

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 8,061 Mod ✭✭✭✭liamog

Yay, 1 more for the March stats!

• Advertisement

It needed to be registered by today for the scrappage, which is coming to an end. Or so Hyundai keep saying on their website. First it was Jan 31st, then Feb 28th, then Mar 16th, now Mar 31st. Chances are tomorrow it will be extended again :)

My dealer just rang to advise that they will not register it today because they do not have it physically with them. I said why not, she said: it's better to have April reg for tax/insurance purposes.

Should I be worried about scrappage, probably not. Will be extended...

You did a deal, incl. the scrappage. They must honour it

Reg date makes no difference for insurance.

Tax, yeah it will make a huge difference. I will have to pay tax from 01/03/2017. If your car gets registered tomorrow, you only pay from 01/04/2017

So yeah, a massive difference of €10 :D

Dunno what your dealer is at though. Obviously the dealer doesn't need to physically have the car to register it...

Well, I waited that long, I can wait few days more... Registration takes little time, I was told... So shouldn't prolong my wait time when car is at their garage.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,927 ✭✭✭Soarer

You should nearly wait until July at this rate.

Why? I waited for over 2 months already. Why wait for another 3 months? Surely not for the highly valuable 172 plate? :p

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 369 ✭✭thelikelylad

Collected it today!

Doing Cork - Dublin this evening, jumping in the deep end :D

Will post back later if I make it :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,927 ✭✭✭Soarer

Collected it today!

Doing Cork - Dublin this evening, jumping in the deep end :D

Will post back later if I make it :D

Fair play, well wear.

Lovely day for a drive.

Well wear :cool:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,808 ✭✭✭✭Water John

Well wear. Report back to have us Leaf guys weep, yeah.

Well wear, you'll absolutely love the 65 Kw charging at the fast chargers you lucky git !!! :D

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement