Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Hyundai Ioniq 28kWh

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,404 ✭✭✭peposhi

Ah crap! I nearly would if I didn't have work. Found myself driving to random places for no reason whatsoever at the weekend.

Done for a good while now...lol

• Registered Users Posts: 452 ✭✭Mope

Auto Hold cancels out as soon as you touch Accelerator, does it not? (with minimal delay I guess? At least in 132 Passat it has delay)

Water John: I am sure thelikelylad is just warming them up for better grip and safer journey ahead! :D

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 8,061 Mod ✭✭✭✭liamog

The auto hold releases quick enough for you not to notice.
    Accelerator has a double push for an extra kick.

95% of the time we run in ECO mode and the double push is enough for us to be snappy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 369 ✭✭thelikelylad

liamog wrote: »
    The auto hold releases quick enough for you not to notice.
    Accelerator has a double push for an extra kick.

Can you enable auto hold by default? I find myself turning it on every time I start the car which is a minor niggle.

Why do you run it in ECO mode? From what I gather reading the manual the most noticeable thing it does is making your accelerator a bit sluggish and basically causing you to accelerate less aggressive, which in hand uses less electricity.

On above I have a question which was on my mind. There are people who say that it is actually much more effective to accelerate to the speed you need quicker, than slower and longer to use less fuel (that's on ICE car). Does this not apply to EV? What I mean is: you stand on traffic light, it goes Green, you see road ahead clear, speed limit is 50 or 60, so what you do is you accelerate quicker, let's say being in your 3k-3.5k RPM, not 2.3 or 2.5k RPM and when you reach needed speed - you coast on fitting gear.

• Advertisement

Mope wrote: »
    Why do you run it in ECO mode? From what I gather reading the manual the most noticeable thing it does is making your accelerator a bit sluggish and basically causing you to accelerate less aggressive, which in hand uses less electricity.

From my experience so far there is sufficient poke in ECO mode. Around the city it's still relatively nippy off the line. It can feel a bit sluggish going up an incline but the power is there if you give it more boot. I had it in ECO for the whole Cork <-> Dublin journey and had no problems overtaking or anything. When you indicate and move into the overtaking lane adaptive cruise puts the boot down and you just cruise past with relative ease.

I am so looking forward trying out this Adaptive CC :-)

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 8,061 Mod ✭✭✭✭liamog

Auto Hold has to be enabled every time, I'm not entirely sure why, I don't see any downside to using it.

As to why run in ECO mode? It works well enough that we don't need to switch.
    The acceleration in ECO is already better than any ICE that we've driven.

It also gives you the ECO aircon mode, no idea what the difference is, but it claims to save power.

Sports mode can be a little uncomfortable off the line if your not expecting it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,034 ✭✭✭goz83

Auto Hold has to be enabled every time, I'm not entirely sure why, I don't see any downside to using it.

This was the same in my E200. You had to quick tap the brake pedal to engage auto hold. It's the only thing I really miss and it's not in the Leaf.

It's a button press on the Ioniq.

Just have to remember to enable it every time you restart the car.

• Advertisement

unkel is very quiet.... Did he get his car already? :-)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 65,751 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

Nope, later this week. Yourself?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,830 ✭✭✭air

If they could up the power to around 200bhp and the battery to 40kWh on this for under €35k I'd imagine it would be a runaway success. Not to take away from the current version which is outstanding as is.

unkel wrote: »
    Nope, later this week. Yourself?

Same here... Dealer keeps misspelling my name on emails, but I ignore it by now and hope they don't write it same way on documents.

Have you been told if car is in their forecourt or not?

Mope wrote: »
    Have you been told if car is in their forecourt or not?

Car is not at dealers yet, apparently customs are slow. Dealer only needs car for a couple of hours when he gets it (inspection, etc.) before I can take it
    air wrote: »
    If they could up the power to around 200bhp and the battery to 40kWh on this for under €35k I'd imagine it would be a runaway success. Not to take away from the current version which is outstanding as is.

They will. You will have to wait another couple of years and it's called the Tesla Model 3 :p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 900 ✭✭✭650Ginge

Car is not at dealers yet, apparently customs are slow. Dealer only needs car for a couple of hours when he gets it (inspection, etc.) before I can take it

They will. You will have to wait another couple of years and it's called the Tesla Model 3 :p

No chance model 3 will be €35k. I can't even see it being under €50k.

Price up a model s or x on the Irish site and see what you get.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,702 ✭✭✭✭BoatMad

First trip to Ikea today with the Ioniq, very impressed with the load capacity, didn't think we'd fit as much. We fit a double sofa bed, 160x80cm office desk, a trolley load of other bits and pieces, oh and two adults in the front. :pac:

From there we went for a 10 min top up at the FCP at Topaz, Clonshaugh Rd. before heading for Cork. Stopped in Ballycolla FCP again for 30 mins. Adaptive cruise control set to 100km/h for M50+N7 and then 120km/h until the M8 toll, I dropped to about 90km/h then for the last ~25km - First encounter with range anxiety :eek:

---
    Route: Clonshaugh Rd FCP, Dublin -> Cork city centre
    Distance: 266.3km
    Average Speed: 100km/h
    Time: 02:49h
    kWh/100km: 17.1kWh
    ---

Clonshaugh Rd FCP -> Ballycolla FCP
    94% -> 29%
    Distance: 120.1km
    Average Speed: 101km/h
    Time: 01:15h
    kWh/100km: 15.5kWh

Ballycolla FCP -> Cork city centre
    94% -> 6%
    Distance: 146km
    Average Speed: 100km/h
    Time: 01:32h
    ---

Arrived with 6km in the tank. Could have stopped about 5km sooner at Rochestown FCP but decided to push on. I did a good bit of the route from Ballycolla to Fermoy at 120km/h which hurt the efficiency, probably should have dropped to 110km/h but anyway we made it - just about :D

Great first weekend of EV ownership! Delighted that the Ioniq can do Cork - Dublin comfortably with one stop.

Despite what's been said those efficiency figures are similar to a Leaf, as are the speeds and range

650Ginge wrote: »
    No chance model 3 will be €35k. I can't even see it being under €50k.

Presuming it will be assembled in Tilburg (NL) like the Model S and Model T, it won't attract import duties and the price should be from about €39k after our €10k subsidies (see my calculation on the Model 3 thread)

But yeah, a 40kWh battery and maybe a bit more poke in the Ioniq by this time next year for around the €30k mark would be considerable progress in the world of EV for sure!

Tesla Model S 75 RWD base model is $77k vs. €99k. But the difference is largely made of VAT+VRT of €26k. This won't apply for the Model 3 as the base model at about €35k would have total tax of about €4+8k but with the grant of 10k the end price for the base model should be around €37 cash.

Edit: Beaten by unkel

BoatMad wrote: »
    Despite what's been said those efficiency figures are similar to a Leaf, as are the speeds and range

No they are not :p

Who are you trying to fool here?

• Advertisement

I don't know if it's just me but the car feels like it has a lot more pull than 118bhp. My old turbo daysul was around 140bhp and the Ioniq is noticeably quicker. Obviously off the line it's going to be quicker initially due to the instant torque but at speed 110km/h+ there is good shove when overtaking. Took the Ioniq for a burst on the motorway last night, Sport mode + 0 regen and the thing moves! :eek:

I dunno, could be all in my head but it feels like a 150/160bhp bus if I was to compare it to an ICE. Another thing that I didn't think much of when buying the car was the regen paddles. They are brilliant! There's something oddly satisfying about cranking up regen when coming up to a corner or a red light.

Interesting, I was told it's in carpark of Hyundai Head office. Will ring him after lunch to check on it... last few calls I was told he is on to another client and that I'd receive a call back. Never got one.
    < ... > Another thing that I didn't think much of when buying the car was the regen paddles. They are brilliant! There's something oddly satisfying about cranking up regen when coming up to a corner or a red light.

I also think that giving driver ability to "play" with those paddles makes driver more awake and aware. You are constantly entertained.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,285 ✭✭✭cros13

I saw two car transporters heading down the M7 yesterday. One was full of grey, black, silver and white Ioniqs and the other had a single white Ioniq onboard.

It had to have my and unkel's car :-) (I hope so!)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,285 ✭✭✭cros13

I'm afraid it was heading in the wrong direction for you two...

But an encouraging sight..

No they are not :p

Who are you trying to fool here?

Efficiencies of 15.x KWh /100 km are easily achievable in the leaf , mine average out at 15.4

The journey stats given are very similar to a 30 kWH leaf too

By the way , your tone is incredibly aggressive and abusive , please moderate your language -Thanks , ( perhaps you should re-read boards rules )

cros13 wrote: »
    I'm afraid it was heading in the wrong direction for you two...

But an encouraging sight..

I take exception to that , my language has not been in any way abusive , but I am in the receipt of abusive language that's clear. . I have asked the poster to stop this

We've gotten ours down to 11.5 on city journeys when trying, and averaged 13.5 on a recent Kilbeggan to Dublin run.

I think it's more that the Ioniq will do 15 with almost no effort.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,404 ✭✭✭peposhi

I dunno, could be all in my head but it feels like a 150/160bhp bus if I was to compare it to an ICE. Another thing that I didn't think much of when buying the car was the regen paddles. They are brilliant! There's something oddly satisfying about cranking up regen when coming up to a corner or a red light.

Imagine what Formula E is like :p

• Advertisement

We've gotten ours down to 11.5 on city journeys when trying, and averaged 13.5 on a recent Kilbeggan to Dublin run.

I think it's more that the Ioniq will do 15 with almost no effort.

I was merely commenting on the posters real world figures for that trip over those distances at that speeds. I didn't make any comment about the Ioniq over all

I was merely commenting on the posters real world figures for that trip over those distances at that speeds. I didn't make any comment about the Ioniq over all

I think it was the use of the phrase "despite what's been said"

As we've gotten use to driving an EV our efficiency has picked up, we've had it since January so the weather is also making a huge difference.
    We were averaging 15.5 in January and now we're down to the 13s.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,138 ✭✭✭✭KCross

Efficiencies of 15.x KWh /100 km are easily achievable in the leaf , mine average out at 15.4

The journey stats given are very similar to a 30 kWH leaf too

Easily? Easy if you mean drive at <100kmh but thats not comparing like for like. What figures do you get in the Leaf at an indicated 128kmh which would be equivalent to 120kmh indicated on the Ioniq?

The Ioniq is more aerodynamic but, I think, more importantly its 100kg lighter. Thats an extra 1-2 passengers the Leaf is carrying all the time.

The Ioniq seems to be able to achieve about 10-20% better efficiency than the Leaf. Probably closer to 10% for city/urban driving and 20% for motorway driving where the aerodynamics play a larger part.

That isnt mind blowingly better but it all counts in the EV world.

I think it was the use of the phrase "despite what's been said"

As we've gotten use to driving an EV our efficiency has picked up, we've had it since January so the weather is also making a huge difference.
    We were averaging 15.5 in January and now we're down to the 13s.

Sorry , if I suggested there was more to it that just a reference to previous conversations

Sorry , if I suggested there was more to it that just a reference to previous conversations

How much does the Leaf improve from Winter to Summer?
    And does it gradually increase across spring?

I presume the relative improvement should be similar across all EVs.

KCross wrote: »
    Easily? Easy if you mean drive at <100kmh but thats not comparing like for like. What figures do you get in the Leaf at an indicated 128kmh which would be equivalent to 120kmh indicated on the Ioniq?

The Ioniq is more aerodynamic but, I think, more importantly its 100kg lighter. Thats an extra 1-2 passengers the Leaf is carrying all the time.

The Ioniq seems to be able to achieve about 10-20% better efficiency than the Leaf. Probably closer to 10% for city/urban driving and 20% for motorway driving where the aerodynamics play a larger part.

That isnt mind blowingly better but it all counts in the EV world.

Hang on , I wasn't commented about the Ioniq overall , I was just commenting on those particular real world figures

We drive the leaf every day , upto 110 km/h , with 51,000 km after 14 months we average around 15.4 , we drive in B Eco 100% of the time , the stats for that journey would not be dissimilar in a leaf 30 kWH

I'm not comparing the two cars on a generalised basis , like all cars each has its strengths and weaknesses. I was merely commenting on those particular figures

• Advertisement

How much does the Leaf improve from Winter to Summer?
    And does it gradually increase across spring?

I presume the relative improvement should be similar across all EVs.

Hard to say , this winter was very mild. And i haven't bothered extracting any further detailed info. Driving style has much more effect then temp in the leaf.

For a true comparision it'd be interesting to see a graph of power vs speed for both cars travelling simultaneously on the same stretch of road.
    Does the leaf give real time power output in kW even through Leaf spy?

For a true comparision it'd be interesting to see a graph of power vs speed for both cars travelling simultaneously on the same stretch of road.
    Does the leaf give real time power output in kW even through Leaf spy?

A better average would be to build instances of real world efficiency by comparing stats over a reasonably large amount of data

What you suggest would be nearly impossible outside a Dyno to do correctly

Hang on , I wasn't commented about the Ioniq overall , I was just commenting on those particular real world figures

We drive the leaf every day , upto 110 km/h , with 51,000 km after 14 months we average around 15.4 , we drive in B Eco 100% of the time , the stats for that journey would not be dissimilar in a leaf 30 kWH

I'm not comparing the two cars on a generalised basis , like all cars each has its strengths and weaknesses. I was merely commenting on those particular figures

Right, I understand what you are saying but those particular real world figures included patches of driving at 120kmh. In the Leaf you would need to do 128kmh indicated to get a real world 120kmh. If you were to do that in a Leaf you wouldnt get similar figures at all. Thats the point.

Right, I understand what you are saying but those particular real world figures included patches of driving at 120kmh. In the Leaf you would need to do 128kmh indicated to get a real world 120kmh. If you were to do that in a Leaf you wouldnt get similar figures at all. Thats the point.

I don't except the ODO error you mention , all cars legally read high. In my test drive of the Ioniq , I didn't see that much difference , tested against my Garmin unit. The leaf was higher but not by a lot

NOTE : in the figures given the average speeds didn't exceed 101 km.h

• Advertisement

An owner in NL just reported he got 295km (9.5Wh/km) now the weather over there has gone up to a much warmer 18C. Eco mode, but normal driving, sticking to the speed limits, but accelerating away quickly from traffic lights.

I don't except the ODO error you mention , all cars legally read high. In my test drive of the Ioniq , I didn't see that much difference , tested against my Garmin unit. The leaf was higher but not s lot

My cross check with LeafSpy and the satnav show:
    108kmh=100kmh
    128kmh=120kmh

The Ioniq is more accurate. I read in the UK that at 70mph it reads 72...
    115kmh=112kmh

@liamog, have you checked the accuracy of the Ioniq speedo against a sat nav?

I don't except the ODO error you mention , all cars legally read high.

No they don't. Legally they have to read between real speed and real speed + 10% + 4km/h

So in some cars a real speed of 160km/h reads 160km/h, in other cars it reads 180km/h. Both fully legal.

108kmh=100kmh
    128kmh=120kmh

115kmh=112kmh

I have, ours is a pretty consistent 4km/hr off.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,114 ✭✭✭✭listermint

108kmh=100kmh
    128kmh=120kmh

115kmh=112kmh

Common misconception is that Sat Nav GPS is more accurate than rolling wheel distance.

Very common, also very very wrong.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,615 ✭✭✭grogi

listermint wrote: »
    Common misconception is that Sat Nav GPS is more accurate than rolling wheel distance.

The speedometer DELIBERATELY shows too much, it is part of the type-approval requirements.

GPS will be much more accurate, especially when going straight.

A better average would be to build instances of real world efficiency by comparing stats over a reasonably large amount of data

What you suggest would be nearly impossible outside a Dyno to do correctly

How about find a flat, empty stretch of motorway - easily done in Ireland and drive the cars 100m + apart at 90, 100, 110, 120kph for a kilometre each maintaining separation. Do it 2 or 3 times and it will give you a fair idea of the relative efficiency.
    Large data sets are going to include all sorts of additional variables that it would be impossible to correct for.

I crosschecked two things.... LeafySpy AND SatNav vs the Speedo.
    LeafSpy and SatNav agreed. Its also a well known fact at this point for the Leaf that it overreads 10% at the higher speeds.

I've also passed some of those roadside speed indicators and they matched my figures.

The figures I've given are accurate.

Not at all, a lot of newer consumer GPS chipsets even use doppler shift of the carrier signals to help deduce speed, making them very accurate in their display of instantaneous speed.

I write SAT nav software

GPS instantaneous speed is extremely accurate as its not ( as most ill informed people think ) derived from averaging distance, but it directly computed from the carrier frequency doppler shift

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement