Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Hyundai Ioniq 28kWh

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4 doylerman

I might check it out again if the scrappage comes back, wasn't given much confidence by the dealer saying 180km was as good as the real range would be.

• Registered Users Posts: 4 doylerman

There is one ccs charger 10mins drive from work. Think I would rather wait a year and hopefully get a better battery car than have to charge each day.

I could only manage 15.3 Kwh/100 kms in the Ioniq over 207 Kms. @80-100-110 Kph.

Didn't really matter though with 65 Kw charging.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 65,751 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

The dealers haven't a clue about EVs. Spend a couple of days reading this forum alone and you'll know a lot more

Scrappage seems to be gone and there's about a 4-6 months waiting list on the Ioniq EV, possibly more with the US sales just having started this week

And with EVs, if you can wait, wait. There are no doubt better (value) options out there this time next year. You won't get a free charge point, but I would expect the generous €10k subsidies and the free public charging to be still there (but obviously nothing is certain)

Mad_Lad had fierce winds on his trip, that effects range badly...

Several drivers on the continent now it's warmer are reporting real world ranges of 300km this week (see my posts in the last few days)

No I did not have "fierce" winds , it was breezy but it's typical of the weather you get here.
    The first 60 K were wet roads and at the point I reached work had 16.1 Kwh/100 kms and the Leaf would have got about 18-19 at that point on the road.

The rest of the 147 Km trip was on dry roads and warmer temps.

One thing I noticed about the heater was that it cooled off to much and then had to use a lot more energy to heat up again, I didn't like it, perhaps cured by a firmware update.

• Registered Users Posts: 452 ✭✭Mope

Similar to unkel I'm not planning doing trips in 80 or 90 where speed limit is 120 or 100. I will use (at least plan to) the car as I'd use my current 2.0l petrol car if not more joyful knowing how much more torque it will have.
    My own stats for very short trip in test drive was 15/100, with a lot of acceleration tests with all 3 modes. Maximum I saw was 22/100 I think. It was from Griffith avenue to airport and back to Fairview. I consider myself very well able to drive efficiently as i manage to pull 7.5/100 in my Subaru Legacy 05" which is all wheel drive permanently for those who doesn't know. Where is my friends report 10-12/100 consumption. I'm no joy rider so expect good things and plenty of smiles from my Ioniq

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 8,061 Mod ✭✭✭✭liamog

Heading up the Northbound slip onto the M50 from Dundrum in the Ioniq is class.

Destroys your efficiency, but you can get a fair pelt going up the hill.

I know exactly which one you have in mind :-) my Legacy and Forester are struggling there unless you go above 3-4k rpm. Who cares about efficiency if you going only round trip to/from work and maybe to pick up one of family members or gym?

unkel wrote: »
    Mad_Lad had fierce winds on his trip, that effects range badly...

Several drivers on the continent now it's warmer are reporting real world ranges of 300km this week (see my posts in the last few days)

My test drive was 21st Feb, wind was 18 Kph. Not fierce.

Check out met eireann. Oak Park, my closest weather station a few Kms away.

http://www.met.ie/climate/daily-data.asp

• Advertisement

liamog wrote: »

Oh it's much nicer up there in big V8 engined cars at the rev limit :D

I'll miss them but I don't miss the tax / petrol bills...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 369 ✭✭thelikelylad

liamog wrote: »

+1 :D Had a bit of fun there actually, left a few ICEs for dead.

The car really can move when you put the foot down. It's very stable at 119km/h+ :P Quite the sensation too when you're travelling at speed and you feel the lane keeping assist moving the wheel.

My test drive was 21st Feb, wind was 18 Kph. Not fierce.

A tiny 18km/h headwind when you're doing 100km/h real speed will severely reduce the range in an Ioniq from over 200km to 165km. Doing the same would destroy the range in a 24kWh Leaf to silly low figures

It's strange but so many people underestimate the importance of aerodynamics in the current gen of EVs...

As I said the range in the Leaf would have been about 18-19 Kwh for the same 60 Kms as the 16.1 Kwh/100 Kms in the Ioniq at that point on the road.

And we got regular winds in Ireland and a hell of a lot stronger too. That's what I cal "normal" driving and a good honest to God review that you butchered in with this forum.......

I can get 13 Kwh/100 kms in the Leaf if I really try but I couldn't be arsed. I drive it like I stole it most of my 140 Km commute, cruise at 120-130 Kph I don't care about efficiency especially since 50% of my commute is free but I wouldn't anyway considering electricity is so cheap.

I actually still waiting for proper stickies or even alternative source for one place all answers... like, OK, I am reading this and other threads for last few weeks to get to know EV worlds. There is loads of useful info, but... we are in 118 page now :-] I'd leave this thread for general chat about Ioniq, but there has to be well moderated thread for each type of EV which tips and tricks, real stats, drivers feedback, reviews and similar stuff. Yes, administration of this would not be easy, but doable. I am already Sold to EV, but other people, who are reading this forum would get much more condensed info from Stickies on a topic: Charge points, Buying an EV, What should I know? What is ... (and all abbreviations) and etc, and etc

I think you had a link or a number of a page where you wrote your review on Ioniq - that alone could be a sticky "Extended review" or smth ;]

My Butchered review that was merged with this thread starts here.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2057563461&page=80

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,087 ✭✭✭isnottheword

@Mope: Are they necessarily Ioniq specific questions? If you are at a point that you are going to buy the Ioniq and are only otherwise looking for a reason not to, you could do worse than to read through the whole thread. It's a substantial purpose - you could do worse.

If you have general questions on EV's generally - or you have not made up your mind, create your own thread(s) accordingly - having ran a search on the topic first of course.

Some others here in recent months started their own threads on their experience in buying an EV - although many of them had determined what it was they were all but decided on buying at that point.

If you are looking for a forum section dedicated to the Ioniq, try the speakev forum. They have a specific section for each manufacturer/ev model - if that's the format you're looking for. Not promoting that over boards - they have the critical mass in terms of a concentration of ev owners/enthusiasts to do that. This sub-forum may look to do something along similar lines down the road (when there are more EV boardsie's around). Naturally, it's always more useful to discuss any topic from a local/irish perspective - and boards always is fit for purpose in that regard.

I had a hard time convincing Boards to get a proper EV section and that only came about because I was P1ssing off so many motor heads in the regular motors section calling me a troll, some of which are here now and after buying and EV ! haha.

isnottheword, I already bought one (Platinum Silver Ioniq which I hopefully will collect end of this week :-) )

Me talking about the structure of Forum is more from the point of - other, new buyers or just curious ones... Who would come in and want condensed info, something like what I was looking for. Look, in the end i did find what I was looking for... but how many people would read all 120 soon pages about specific car, issues it could have, people's opinions before asking? (I was one of them, I always respect people not to repeat themselves, but after reading every single page from roughtl 55page to I think 85+ I gave up... well, at that point I already new what I am getting anyway, but you got my point.

and I do agree that having info related to our climate, roads, people, laws and etc is better than some (potentially better organised) forum outside Ireland

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,702 ✭✭✭✭BoatMad

I hope to do a one day long drive in an ioniq soon, It will be interesting

I dont for a minute believe 300 km is possible short of driving around at 40 km !!! :D

BoatMad wrote: »
    I dont for a minute believe 300 km is possible short of driving around at 40 km !!! :D

350km was done some time last year on motorways around Seoul. Posted in this thread and easy to find on google. Busy traffic (Seoul is a 10+ million people city) and speeds were around 70km/h

Several people on the continent have reported 300km range in normal mixed driving this week alone (when the weather was no longer wintery cold)

Ioniq is the most efficient vehicle ever tested by the EPA. Not so sure what people find hard to believe here

I doubt I'll ever make 300km myself, but I like driving with a heavy foot. And I like it a lot more when it doesn't cost anything :D

350km was done some time last year on motorways around Seoul. Posted in this thread and easy to find on google. Busy traffic (Seoul is a 10+ million people city) and speeds were around 70km/h

Several people on the continent have reported 300km range in normal mixed driving this week alone (when the weather was no longer wintery cold)

Ioniq is the most efficient vehicle ever tested by the EPA. Not so sure what people find hard to believe here

I doubt I'll ever make 300km myself, but I like driving with a heavy foot. And I like it a lot more when it doesn't cost anything :D

I drive reasonably and I have a lot of miles under me in an EV. I shall see if the iconiq does what it says on the tin. The leaf had the same type of outlier range claims , but the reality is of course a bit different. I have both a cross country route and a motorway route that I know intimately in the Leaf, so it will be an interesting one day 480 km round trip

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,087 ✭✭✭isnottheword

Mope wrote: »
    Me talking about the structure of Forum is more from the point of - other, new buyers or just curious ones... Who would come in and want condensed info, something like what I was looking for.
    Yes, it's the one area where vbulletin type forums like this one fall down - albeit that it's situational. Search facility on vbulletin forums is very powerful - you can drill down and get exactly the info you are looking for - except when you pull up a thread with a gazillion pages in it.
    That said, there's a reason for such threads. If there was enough need, then there can be sub-forums and threads within could be broken down to more specific topics. Until that can be justified, you're stuck with the long post.

[/OFFTOPIC].

The leaf had the same type of outlier range claims

No it didn't :p

Original Leaf had EPA range of 117km, Ioniq has EPA range of 200km

Both seem fairly realistic for day to day use, and I've read a lot of reports from Ioniq EV owners these last few (long) months

But by all means, take it for a 24h test drive (or buy one) and test it yourself :)

No it didn't :p

Original Leaf had EPA range of 117km, Ioniq has EPA range of 200km

Both seem fairly realistic for day to day use, and I've read a lot of reports from Ioniq EV owners these last few (long) months

But by all means, take it for a 24h test drive (or buy one) and test it yourself :)

I dont think original Leaf can be compared in any way to a recently introduced EV.

The 30kWh leaf is a better comparison and the efficiency of the ioniq makes up for the slightly lower battery ( though in practice 2 kWh is nothing , depending on ho whey BMS manages reserves )

If you read through early Leaf stuff, you'll see certain people claiming all sorts of "unusual " range claims etc ( including bizarre efficiency figures )

As I said , what other people get is actually utterly irrelevant , what ( you ) get is the one that matters

• Advertisement

what other people get is actually utterly irrelevant , what ( you ) get is the one that matters

It doesn't really matter to me what I get.

What other people get is actually far more important. Data from many owners (respected dudes like Nyland i.e.) says a lot more about the car and how efficient it is than a single individual on a test drive

It doesn't really matter to me what I get.

What other people get is actually far more important. Data from many owners (respected dudes like Nyland i.e.) says a lot more about the car and how efficient it is than a single individual on a their test drive

after 51000Km EV driving , I can comfortably say that its irrelevant what other people can extract from a given EV.

All That matters is what ( you ) for I or any individual can extract from the car, given their driving style, their routes and the conditions they regularly expect. Add to this what they are comfortable holding onto in reserve ( some people will run close to the wire others will require a larger reserve etc )

Thats all that really matters , because that all I ( or you ) can reasonably expect to achieve on an ongoing basis.

Its like people telling me they have a 4l/100km diesel , when in fact they never see that figure etc

Range is really a very individual thing outside a structured laboratory thing

in time such comparison will largely become irrelevant as range will be beyond what most people need

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,114 ✭✭✭✭listermint

after 51000Km EV driving , I can comfortably say that its irrelevant what other people can extract from a given EV.

All That matters is what ( you ) for I or any individual can extract from the car, given their driving style, their routes and the conditions they regularly expect. Add to this what they are comfortable holding onto in reserve ( some people will run close to the wire others will require a larger reserve etc )

Thats all that really matters , because that all I ( or you ) can reasonably expect to achieve on an ongoing basis.

Its like people telling me they have a 4l/100km diesel , when in fact they never see that figure etc

Range is really a very individual thing outside a structured laboratory thing

in time such comparison will largely become irrelevant as range will be beyond what most people need

But your saying you doubt anyone can get 300km on one and you've been disproven with facts.

What you should have said it's you don't think personally you will get that due to your personal driving style.

Instead you invite arguement by making blanket statements.

Pointless

Indeed. But that's very much still a good few years away. I suggest you spend some of the waiting time reflecting on listermint's post up there. He's summarised quite well your posting style here on boards :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,138 ✭✭✭✭KCross

I groan everytime I see a review showing long distance range for one EV. It proves nothing really because you dont know all the conditions and how the driver has driven it. Pulse & glide, slip-streaming, temp etc.

What you really need to see is a comparison where multiple EV's are driven at the same time on the same route at the same speed and maybe repeat that test on different routes (motorway, city etc) to see if there are differences there. e.g. The Leaf would probably prove to be quite poor relative to the Ioniq on motorway but less so in city/urban driving.

That would be a much better comparison where you could objectively say car A is X% better than car B for range.

I think everyone agrees the Ioniq is the better car for range/efficiency. Its how much is the thing and someone eeking 300km out of it on a one off run is, in fairness, misleading if taken in isolation. It gives an unrealistic expectation for anyone reading/seeing the videos.

@unkel, I believe the above comparison was done somewhere.... can you post that video again?

• Advertisement

There's several comparisons. The latest is from Nyland from this week that I posted in this thread a few posts up. Ioniq vs Model S vs Model X. Results pretty much as I expected, but some of you might be surprised about some of them. Very little in efficiency at speed between the 2200kg Model S and the 1600kg Ioniq. Both extremely efficient for such speeds. That's the coefficient of drag (0.24) for ya!

Agree that we need more of these reviews. Many more.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,138 ✭✭✭✭KCross

There's several comparisons. The latest is from Nyland from this week that I posted in this thread a few posts up. Ioniq vs Model S vs Model X. Results pretty much as I expected, but some of you might be surprised about some of them. Very little in efficiency at speed between the 2200kg Model S and the 1600kg Ioniq. Both extremely efficient for such speeds. That's the coefficient of drag (0.24) for ya!

Agree that we need more of these reviews. Many more.

Do you have a side by side Ioniq/Leaf comparison that would stand up to scrutiny?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,480 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

Would you consider painting the front grey piece to match color of car ?

Were they both covered in the Czech test?

Linky

Nylands winter tests cover both in very similar circumstances. Obviously they are long vids, but highly recommended if you intend to buy a car. His test of the Ioniq was what really got me interested in the Ioniq. Did a lot of reading after that, did a 24 hour test drive and bought one, all that in just 2 weeks time :)

Nyland convinced a lot of people to buy Teslas and Ioniqs. He's got the free €100k+ Tesla Model X to prove it :D

Would you consider painting the front grey piece to match color of car ?

Have to see how it looks, but there are various options, paint, plasti dip, wrap, replace with black one from Hyundai, etc.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,114 ✭✭✭✭listermint

Have to see how it looks, but there are various options, paint, plasti dip, wrap, replace with black one from Hyundai, etc.

Silver on Black seems to look the best tbh. Id go with Swap if possible if not possible Paint, Plastidip is awful stuff have used it before its really not that reliable to stay on especially not with the brunt up front.

Yeah, that thing is ugly alright. Mind crossed my mind few times if something reasonable can be done to make it more uni-body with rest of the car

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,480 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

2017-hyundai-ioniq-ev-14_0.jpg?itok=UEx1QtuK

That looks best.

Not bad! Maybe a bit too shiny ;]

That's the "black pack" I referred to. It's available from Hyundai as an option in most countries - €249 in NL

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,811 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

Was in one today.
    Although the printed dimensions are similar to a leaf internally, the Hyundai felt a bit bigger inside.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 763 ✭✭✭Bif

Folks. Two questions on the Ioniq. What price should I be able to get one for in a straight deal and would you be confident of being able to complete a 160km journey, 75% national route and 25% motorway, without having to charge?

Scrappage is gone, I think the starting price for the car is something around 34k (-5k grant, -4k scrappage). I got car for 26k+.

Re range of 160 KM - easily! (this is from what I read and saw, not personal experience)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 763 ✭✭✭Bif

Mope wrote: »
    Scrappage is gone, I think the starting price for the car is something around 34k (-5k grant, -4k scrappage). I got car for 26k+.

Re range of 160 KM - easily! (this is from what I read and saw, not personal experience)

Cheers Mope. 26K was for a straight buy without trade in? Are there different specs available in Ireland?

With trade in
    Ireland has no spec choice. You can go with leather seats for 2k+ or semi leather (not real leather) for 1.5k. that's what I was told.

Problem is with availability. You could wait until October for your car if buy now

Bif wrote: »
    Cheers Mope. 26K was for a straight buy without trade in? Are there different specs available in Ireland?

I was told it was € 28,400 after all grants

RRP is €28,495 (see hyundai.ie) + extras + delivery charges for the white solid colour car. Metallic is €795 and delivery is €1,000 iirc, so a bit over €30k on the road.

I used scrappage for my old worthless banger so that gave me a €4k discount and after communications with all Hyundai dealers in Ireland and negotiations with some, I paid a bit over €25k all in, including metallic paint and mats. Also got a free charging point.

Just now, on M50. Anyone from here?

That's a January car. The current batch arrived a few days ago that went on a Dublin reg are 171D33xxx

You any word yet? Getting mine tomorrow!

• Advertisement

Mine is D34 :P

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement