Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Hyundai Ioniq 28kWh

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 65,751 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

Ha! April reg? You getting it tomorrow too?

• Registered Users Posts: 452 ✭✭Mope

Well, I hope. He said car is on the way on the truck. He couldn't tell if evening or what.

Are you collecting tomorrow?

Yep. Should be. If not, there is going to be murder :D

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,524 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

unkel wrote: »
    Getting mine tomorrow!

Planning on sleeping tonight? :pac:

Jürgen Sangl, the owner of a car dealership in Germany, personally explains pretty much everything there is to know about the Ioniq EV. Like a video manual for those of us that don't want to read the manual. Not only does he know all this stuff, he obviously has experience of all of this too, listening to all the comments he makes.

Incredible stuff. Warning: only interesting for people who have already bought an Ioniq EV or who are seriously interested in buying one and it's in German :p

Test drive filmed with 360 degree camera. Note it is up to -14C, lots of snow, he drives it hard, on winter tyres, plenty on the motorway and up to the maximum speed of 166km/h several times and he still averages an incredibly low 18kWh/100km

Plenty of tips in there too - I'll give one away: even if you haven't pre-heated your car, don't bother using anything else but ECO mode for the aircon / heating. It still manages to heat up the cabin from ice cold to warm in just 75s, which is faster than any ICE can do.

• Advertisement

I work for German company but speak no German at all... More tips unkel? :)

Yeah, if you have to carry big loads, just take off the parcel shelf and you can store it neatly under the hatch in the boot floor. I would have never thought of doing that!

But seriously, even if you don't understand any German, watching all of it would still be helpful if you own an Ioniq EV.

Will watch for sure. Thanks for all findings!

Btw, wanted to ask: how many keys should go with the car? Two or just one?

• Registered Users Posts: 227 ✭✭woppers

Mope wrote: »
    Problem is with availability. You could wait until October for your car if buy now

October??? Jaysus :(

If they're saying that the scrappage scheme is over, why is it still advertised on the Hyundai website?

Btw, wanted to ask: how many keys should go with the car? Two or just one?

Two. It's in the first 10 seconds of the first clip :p

Do watch, a few seconds after that it's about how to open the door in an emergency with the "hidden" key in the "hidden" lock.

• Advertisement

woppers wrote: »
    October??? Jaysus :(

If they're saying that the scrappage scheme is over, why is it still advertised on the Hyundai website?

Yeah that shot seems to be just a remnant. The Hyundai Ireland scrappage is gone (for now). No reason why you couldn't negotiate a substantial discount yourself though. There's no way I would have paid €30k for the car, but at €25k it was a steal

That said, I also hear several stories that there's no more Ioniq EV going to land here or in the UK for another 6-8 months, possibly longer. So if you really want one, there are still a few white ones around. Or you might find a cancellation (like lucky bastard mope here :D), a demo, or a demo import from the UK maybe?

Yeah that shot seems to be just a remnant. The Hyundai Ireland scrappage is gone (for now). No reason why you couldn't negotiate a substantial discount yourself though. There's no way I would have paid €30k for the car, but at €25k it was a steal

That said, I also hear several stories that there's no more Ioniq EV going to land here or in the UK for another 6-8 months, possibly longer. So if you really want one, there are still a few white ones around. Or you might find a cancellation (like lucky bastard mope here :D), a demo, or a demo import from the UK maybe?

Bummer :( I've a test drive booked for the 22nd. If it is a 6-8 month waiting list would I be better off holding out til next year to see if they release a longer range battery or hope to get clarification on the Tesla Model 3?

No reason not to go ahead for your test drive! You mightn't like it, it might not be for you. And even if you do like it and really want to buy it, you can talk to the dealer and see what options he can think of.

Fair point unkel. I'll still give it a spin but if I do end up liking it it'd be a long ass wait for 6-8 months :(

I'd be perfectly happy with a white one if there were any stashed around the country.

By then Leaf II is sure to be demonstrated in the flesh. Worth waiting to see what they come up with.

If you wait forever you'd end up with the perfect EV that's superfast, affordable and goes to the moon and back on one charge too :p

But you have a point. If you can wait for the next thing in EV, it will probably be worth your wait. Ranges are improving, battery prices are improving, some cheap EVs now have decent performance which can only get even better, more form factors (Crossover / SUV / MPV etc.) will become full EVs soon, an EV will very soon be the fastest car ever from 0-100km/h, etc.

Well not even Leaf II, Hyundai may have more range in the Ioniq by then too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,285 ✭✭✭cros13

Bummer :( I've a test drive booked for the 22nd. If it is a 6-8 month waiting list would I be better off holding out til next year to see if they release a longer range battery or hope to get clarification on the Tesla Model 3?

Unless you already have your €1000 down you'd have no hope of seeing a Model 3 before Q2/Q3 2019. There are hundreds of Irish reservations down already and tens of thousands across Australia and the UK on the RHD reservation list, when deliveries start in late 2018 those orders will be filled before any new orders.

If you wait forever you'd end up with the perfect EV that's superfast, affordable and goes to the moon and back on one charge too :p

But you have a point. If you can wait for the next thing in EV, it will probably be worth your wait. Ranges are improving, battery prices are improving, some cheap EVs now have decent performance which can only get even better, more form factors (Crossover / SUV / MPV etc.) will become full EVs soon, an EV will very soon be the fastest car ever from 0-100km/h, etc.

You're dead right :) If I keep on waiting until the next rumored feature or the next big upgrade, I could end up waiting forever instead of just enjoying the Ioniq now and dealing with the latest/greatest model next year or the year after.

I read an article this morning which is only 5 months. It says that Hyundai are releasing a longer range Ioniq in 2018. 200miles/320kms. If, and its a bit IF, I have to wait until October or longer, I might as well wait it out to see what 2018 brings. If the price of the longer range Ioniq is going to be much more expensive that the current Ioniq then it may be more than my budget.

If there is no big waiting period I'd be happy to buy the current model ASAP all depending on the test drive. TBH, from what I'm hearing about the Ioniq, I can't see myself not liking it so it'll all come down to waiting list size.

I could get by with the current model by charging on both ends of my journey but it'd be great to only have to charge it on one end. The longer range would really make an EV a complete ICE replacement for me. I can see myself reverting back to our second diesel car occasionally just because it's more practical for the specific journey we'll be doing. For instance, a trip to Dublin airport and back on a single charge would be great. I know I don't make that journey regularly but it'd be nice to be able to do it on a single charge.

Also, the wife has family scattered all over the place so to travel long range to them without having to stop would be a bonus.

I'll know more in a few weeks after the test drive :)

cros13 wrote: »
    Unless you already have your €1000 down you'd have no hope of seeing a Model 3 before Q2/Q3 2019. There are hundreds of Irish reservations down already and tens of thousands across Australia and the UK on the RHD reservation list, when deliveries start in late 2018 those orders will be filled before any new orders.

I agree with you 100%. I can't see the Model 3 being available to regular Joe's who haven't paid a deposit until late 2018 or early 2019 at least. Possibly longer. But hopefully the Irish price for the Model 3 will be announced/confirmed over the next few months.

At least then I can either plan to buy one because it's in my budget or stop dreaming and get over it because I can't afford it.

Maybe if the price is reasonable I may get the Ioniq while I wait for the demand for the Model 3 to be met. Or else, The Model 3 may not live up to the hype! Who knows!

Two. It's in the first 10 seconds of the first clip :p

Do watch, a few seconds after that it's about how to open the door in an emergency with the "hidden" key in the "hidden" lock.

Read about emergency unlock in Manual, cheers for headsup and I did watch the video, but did not understand that two keys are included in German language :D

• Advertisement

There is more than just white ones left in country (or was in the end of March when I was ringing half of Dublin dealers + Head Office). There was one Black coming on same boat mine was, also few white available right there in March. Absolutely give a test drive and as unkel said, you might even not like it at all.

Read about emergency unlock in Manual, cheers for headsup and I did watch the video, but did not understand that two keys are included in German language :D

Zwei (pronounced "tsvai") = two

Literally in the firs 10-15 seconds of the first vid ;)

I could get by with the current model by charging on both ends of my journey but it'd be great to only have to charge it on one end. The longer range would really make an EV a complete ICE replacement for me. I can see myself reverting back to our second diesel car occasionally just because it's more practical for the specific journey we'll be doing. For instance, a trip to Dublin airport and back on a single charge would be great. I know I don't make that journey regularly but it'd be nice to be able to do it on a single charge.

What is your journey (commute?) and where are you based, so what's the distance of a round trip to Dublin airport?

There is more than just white ones left in country (or was in the end of March when I was ringing half of Dublin dealers + Head Office). There was one Black coming on same boat mine was, also few white available right there in March. Absolutely give a test drive and as unkel said, you might even not like it at all.

Thanks Mope! That's good to know :)
    What is your journey (commute?) and where are you based, so what's the distance of a round trip to Dublin airport?

My commute is 250km a day (125km each way). I'm based in Wexford so from home to Dublin Airport is a 300km round trip.

Now I only make the trip once or twice a year so basing my decision on buying a car on an occasional trip to Dublin Airport is a bit stupid but it is the reason I may still have to rely on an ICE car from time to time.

All you'd need to do is short stop for like 15-20 mins in one of FCP and you would make it :-]

+1

Drop the people off and then charge right beside the airport before your trip back home. At 150km each way, you can easily drive at the speed limits everywhere too. You couldn't do that in any other EV for sale today, except the Ioniq and the Teslas.

And for your work commute, just plug your car in while you are in work (with the granny cable that comes with the car) and you'll be fine too. No need to stop anywhere then for charging up

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,034 ✭✭✭goz83

Yeah, stop at the FCP at the airport for 20-30 minutes and you'd be sorted...and with free parking :D

Is it at the airport actually, goz83? As in walkable distance to the terminals?

Is it at the airport actually, goz83? As in walkable distance to the terminals?

It's at the Topaz on the airport grounds, so definitely walkable (5 mins from terminals). There is an SCP in the T2 carpark too (type 2).

Worst case scenario is to charge at the other FCP at Topaz 5 mins away in Clonshaugh

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,595 ✭✭✭✭Calahonda52

They took delivery yesterday, driver really happy with it!

Anybody here?

“I can’t pay my staff or mortgage with instagram likes”.

• Registered Users Posts: 304 ✭✭CarefulNow!

Test drive booked... What is insurance like on the ioniq

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,595 ✭✭✭✭Calahonda52

Test drive booked... What is insurance like on the ioniq

check with zurich who have an ev policy
    http://www.zurichinsurance.ie/car-insurance/electric-car-insurance.htm

“I can’t pay my staff or mortgage with instagram likes”.

Just got sent a pic of my car on a transporter outside the dealers. Picking it up this afternoon :D

I'm gutted! Not getting car today or even Saturday. Issue with transportation from Cork... Maybe Monday... :(:(

How is it for you unkel? - right, ignore this question, saw your comment above...

Just got sent a pic of my car on a transporter outside the dealers. Picking it up this afternoon :D

Well....... How's the car unkel? :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,927 ✭✭✭Soarer

I'm gutted! Not getting car today or even Saturday. Issue with transportation from Cork... Maybe Monday... :(:(

How is it for you unkel? - right, ignore this question, saw your comment above...

I'll drive it up for you on Sunday if you want! ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,638 ✭✭✭zilog_jones

There are a few Ioniq EV users on Spritmonitor now: https://www.spritmonitor.de/en/overview/19-Hyundai/1554-IONIQ.html?fueltype=5&powerunit=2

Average of 14.64 kWh/100km between 6 owners. If you look at some of the users' records and hover over the "BC" icon, you can see their trip computer data including average speed - although it's up to the user to input this data. Not surprising the owner getting the lowest consumption is doing fairly low speeds (50-60km/h).

Well....... How's the car unkel? :)

We won't hear from him until he's at a FCP after all that driving :D

Just back from a FCP :D

Had to pop my fast charging cherry, didn't I? :D

Didn't check how long it took, had a chat with a lovely man in a Leaf who was there before me, sent the kids to get a burger and a drink and all of a sudden I had juiced up from 24% to 94% (it switched off at that, I was pleasantly surprised the charging speed was still pretty good well after 80%). While charging the car was running, the aircon was on, heated seats, etc.

Must say the car has given me a big smile on my face. It's not a BMW but I didn't expect it to be. Let's make no mistake, it's an economy family FWD car. But that really is the only "bad" thing I can say about it apart from a few small niggles. Everything works, car is very nippy off the lights (I only drive it in sports mode - wish it could default to sports mode but I have to engage it every time I start the car). Plenty of leg room for the kids with at least 10cm to spare for my oldest one even sitting behind me (1.87m height). Kids love the gadgets, in particular the heated seats, and so do I. I'm very keen on the wireless charging

The one thing with the sat nav is I got the POI (charge points) loaded from using my phone as a hotspot but for some reason it doesn't seem to see the FCP (it has thousands of other ones though), even when I select all charger types. Anyone any tips?

As other owners have reported here, the indicated speed is about 4km/h higher than the real speed. Over 120km/h it's about 5km/h higher. I was very pleasantly surprised that the real top speed of the car is higher than the official figures, and that was with 5 people in the car, lights on, heat blasting on full and heated seats on full too :cool:

Such a pity the availability of the car is so poor. Order one today and you'll be very lucky to have it before the end of October. And that's what the dealers are saying. They told me 23th of February and I only got the car today. Unfortunate that not many more people can get their hands on one, as it is just outstanding value for money. And we are incredibly lucky here in Ireland that we not only get the very generous subsidy (€10k), but also the free charge point, free public charging and on top of that we have very cheap (night time) electricity rates.

It's a bit weird that there are only about 2,000 EVs in Ireland today. I have no doubt that in 10 years time there will be 100,000. Or as they say in the show Billions: "I am not uncertain" :p

To anyone who hasn't driven an EV in general, or anyone who hasn't driven an Ioniq: go book a test drive. Even if an EV is not (yet) for you, the experience might open your eyes. It costs nothing. Go for it! :)

Well wear Unkel, Finally an EV owner and to think of all the flack you gave me in the regular motors forum !!! :D

Looking forward to more reviews. Preferably in a separate Thread !!! ;)

• Advertisement

Excited for test drive tomorrow after reading that unkel!!!

Nice write up! Well wear man, well wear!

Heated seats in the back?! What? I don't think mine has that... O your kids where taking turn who sit in front to get the bum heated? ;]

What was the consumption doing 160+km/h? How many KM did you make with full car, joy ride and etc? 150 or less?

Which dealer are you going to?

Ask them what does VESS button do :] I bet he will not have a clue!
    Ask what arrows means below the car symbol as well... I was told it's full wheel drive! :D (Nissan dealer about Leaf)

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 8,061 Mod ✭✭✭✭liamog

So that's now two Ioniq's owned by Lumia 950 XL Owners.

I might have to throw up a Windows Phone wrapper for the eCars app.

Which dealer are you going to?

Ask them what does VESS button do :] I bet he will not have a clue!
    Ask what arrows means below the car symbol as well... I was told it's full wheel drive! :D (Nissan dealer about Leaf)

Neither will I! What are that ha

Neither will I! What are that ha

The VESS is the sound which Ioniq is emitting for pedestrians imitating engine sound when you are doing speed under 30km/h (I think) so you are heard by people.

The Arrows below the car simply indicates that car is ready to be driven.

Enjoy your test drive, where are you doing it, which dealer?

Thanks mope, Fairview motors

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,480 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

Looks great.
    Front grey piece looks normal and blends well with silver.
    Really is a nice looking car

liamog wrote: »
    I might have to throw up a Windows Phone wrapper for the eCars app.

Yes please Liam!

@Mope - heated seats only in the front. Heating both bottom and back and there are 3 levels of heating. Working very well. Didn't care for this option much, but after talking to the man for quite some time (in my shirt at about 9C) I was getting a bit cold, so the heat from the seat was very pleasant :)

@BorneTobyWilde - the plastic "grille" is still not great though, but I doubt I will want to spend hundreds to alter it.

The car is bigger than I thought. More D-segment size (3-series, Avensis, A4, Insignia, Accord, Mondeo, Saab 9-3, Mercedes C-class, etc.) than C-segment size (small family hatch)

A very cool feature is the seatbelt warning lights (which I normally hate). There are 5 potential warning lights. 2 big ones for the front (adults) and 3 little ones for the rear (children). Had the kids cracking up announcing / demanding to know which "baby" in the back didn't have their seatbelt on yet :)

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement