Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Hyundai Ioniq 28kWh

Comments

KCross wrote: »

I have a robotic lawnmower with a battery and a base station (look for Husqvarna Automower on Youtube.... full recommend it!)

That's Bollocks, it's a lot more fun doing it yourself on a ride on ! :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,138 ✭✭✭✭KCross

That's Bollocks, it's a lot more fun doing it yourself on a ride on ! :D

What about all the emissions from that ride on! :pac:

My main reason for buying it was the time involved in cutting 3/4 acre. It's 90mins a week and if it's raining the day you are off it gets out of hand by the next free day. The robot goes out in all weather! :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 65,750 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

And... back on topic. It's hard in this forum, I'm as quilty as the next man for getting threads off topic :)

Sat "behind myself" in the Ioniq for the first time this evening. I'm 1.87m and have my drivers seat in such a way that I have loads of space in the front

The legroom in the back was adequate, a bit like economy class in a new Boeing 737-800 with Ryanair. Ok for a few hours, but not spacious by any means. I kind of expected this. What I did not expect was that I had plenty of headroom. A good 5cm left, more than enough for me not to hit my head off the roof should the car go over a speed bump. An owner in NL had reported this before, that his 1.85m son was fine in the back, but I found it hard to believe that, I thought maybe the teenager wasn't sitting up straight, the car looks very sleek after all and the roof line looks low. But he was right so.

Done nearly 500km so far and spent €0.00 on electricity :D

Still averaged 14kW/100km driving like a maniac with lots of motorway driving too. When I charge to 94% at the fast charger the car says 204km range and it seems pretty accurate.

Getting insurance refund of about €100 for 10 months. That's going from a €500 car to a €30,000 car. I'd be confident I'd get a better deal again come renewal by shopping around

Two of my children can charge the car now and they can also check on my phone whether or not a CCS charger we are planning on going to is occupied or not. The Ioniq is a well balanced car and pleasant to drive, both in the twisties but also at speed on the motorway.

My main reason for buying it was the time involved in cutting 3/4 acre. It's 90mins a week and if it's raining the day you are off it gets out of hand by the next free day. The robot goes out in all weather! :D

Yeah it kills me to see how much it costs to fill er up ! :D as for emissions ? well I save a lot on the Leaf driving 140 Kms per day more than makes up for it.

Ah it's time well spent, I much prefer the finish of the ride on and doing it myself.

• Registered Users Posts: 814 ✭✭✭cuculainn

unkel wrote: »

Still averaged 14kW/100km driving like a maniac with lots of motorway driving too. When I charge to 94% at the fast charger the car says 204km range and it seems pretty accurate.
    Couple of questions. when you say driving like a maniac what sorta speeds are you talking? 120km/h on motorway?

i have been on the ev fence for a while. had a 3 day trial of a leaf last year, but it just didnt have the range for my driving. (i have a 80KM commute in total per day mostly motorway speeds, and then a few extra bits that are more unpredictable. the best i got out of the leaf was 100KM range.)

with the ioniq i am on it again i love the look of it and the range seems better.

just a question on the price. they are about 29k new including the government grant, i have a 19 year old car for scrappage @ 4k so my final price would be 25K right? (sorry if this is a dumb question but the hyundai site is not user friendly at all

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,460 ✭✭✭Evd-Burner

AFAIK the scrappage is done with hyundai.

And... back on topic. It's hard in this forum, I'm as quilty as the next man for getting threads off topic :)

Sat "behind myself" in the Ioniq for the first time this evening. I'm 1.87m and have my drivers seat in such a way that I have loads of space in the front

The legroom in the back was adequate, a bit like economy class in a new Boeing 737-800 with Ryanair. Ok for a few hours, but not spacious by any means. I kind of expected this. What I did not expect was that I had plenty of headroom. A good 5cm left, more than enough for me not to hit my head off the roof should the car go over a speed bump. An owner in NL had reported this before, that his 1.85m son was fine in the back, but I found it hard to believe that, I thought maybe the teenager wasn't sitting up straight, the car looks very sleek after all and the roof line looks low. But he was right so.

Done nearly 500km so far and spent €0.00 on electricity :D

Getting insurance refund of about €100 for 10 months. That's going from a €500 car to a €30,000 car. I'd be confident I'd get a better deal again come renewal by shopping around

Two of my children can charge the car now and they can also check on my phone whether or not a CCS charger we are planning on going to is occupied or not. The Ioniq is a well balanced car and pleasant to drive, both in the twisties but also at speed on the motorway.
    Evd-Burner wrote: »
    AFAIK the scrappage is done with hyundai.

done as in finished? not available?

• Registered Users Posts: 452 ✭✭Mope

cuculainn wrote: »
    < .. >

just a question on the price. they are about 29k new including the government grant, i have a 19 year old car for scrappage @ 4k so my final price would be 25K right? (sorry if this is a dumb question but the hyundai site is not user friendly at all

Answer is yes, you would, but not anymore. Deal is gone... unless they revive it for 172 maybe?

Mope wrote: »
    Answer is yes, you would, but not anymore. Deal is gone... unless they revive it for 172 maybe?

see the very bottom of this page, it seems to still be an option?

If not, thats me gone from the EV market for another while!

http://www.hyundai.ie/ioniq/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,087 ✭✭✭isnottheword

I'd imagine that they have little incentive offering scrappage when they have a supply chain issue. Once they have actual product to shift, I'm sure they will bring the scrappage deal back then.

see the very bottom of this page, it seems to still be an option?

If not, thats me gone from the EV market for another while!

http://www.hyundai.ie/ioniq/

Give them a call (and I mean good couple of them) and ask, that's best option, as website might not be updated.

I'd imagine that they have little incentive offering scrappage when they have a supply chain issue. Once they have actual product to shift, I'm sure they will bring the scrappage deal back then.

What's behind the supply chain issue? Did they not expect it to sell? Or is this a usual thing?

Drive like a maniac? Well I only drive in sport mode. I take off from the lights at max acceleration most of the time. I like spirited driving. I usually drive on or over the speed limit where ever I can and let's just say that I know exactly what the GPS verified maximum speed of the Ioniq is. And it is a lot higher than any other EV apart from the Teslas :D

Make no mistake though, range suffers badly when you drive an EV at speed. Even in a car with the best coefficient of drag in the world (Ioniq and Tesla model S)

Hyundai haven't updated their website properly, they should have removed the reference from that page. Scrappage is gone, but it will probably come back. My dealer expected so himself when I collected my car last Friday

With the scrappage gone, no doubt you can negotiate more discount though. Much of a muchness though as there are no more Ioniqs coming in until October. And who wants to wait 6 months (or more) for their new car?

At €25k the Ioniq was a steal, but things do progress and if you can wait, I've no doubt there will be cars out with bigger batteries and more range, still for reasonable money. The free chargers are running out soon though, but I'd expect most other subsidies to remain in place.

And if you don't want to wait, you can import a 2016 Nissan Leaf with the larger 30kWh battery for about €16-€17k landed from the UK. That's a lot of car for your money and it will do your range easily. It has already taken a huge depreciation hit, so won't be as bad going forward. And it will buy you a few years sitting on the fence waiting for the next generation of EVs and what they can do

Basically, I wanted Aurora Silver when I bought mine end of March. I was told I'd need to wait till October for the color. So I went with Platinum Silver as it was THE ONLY one available so I consider myself to be lucky to get it. There were few white, black and I think blue left.

The factory cannot keep up with orders + Irish market is not big, so not a priority to supply a lot of them, I believe these are main reasons.

What's behind the supply chain issue? Did they not expect it to sell? Or is this a usual thing?

They can't satisfy orders at the moment. If you place an order now, you won't get your hands on the Ioniq for a few months.

• Advertisement

Here is question for you unkel and I guess wider public: EV cars do not need breake in periods? It is not ICE, I know, but things like brake discs, brake pads do need to "align" properly. Any opinions or facts re this topic? new car break in?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,615 ✭✭✭grogi

They can't satisfy orders at the moment. If you place an order now, you won't get your hands on the Ioniq for a few months.

How much of that is due to logistics of bringing a car from Korea?

If you compare with other brands, even European ones, waiting time is very rarery shorter than 2 months anyway...

Waiting time is not just a few months though. Even the dealers themselves say October. And that is by no means guaranteed. 6 months could turn into 7 or 8 months and then you would get an end of year reg, which is not desirable in Ireland as it will hit the resale value, so you will want to wait for a January 2018 reg. And that's 9 months away. I found it very hard to have to wait almost 3 months, I can't imagine what it would be like to wait 9 months :p

As Mope suggested earlier, see if you can find a demonstrator or see if any Irish dealer has any stock. I'd personally never go for a white one, but there might be some of them around. If you are keen and supply is tight, it invariably means you won't get a great deal though, bear that in mind. I'd say Mope is the only exception to this rule, he's a very lucky man. Although he won't agree with me until he actually bloody gets the car :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,808 ✭✭✭✭Water John

Container traffic from China is 5 weeks. So distance isn't a major issue, timewise.

Waiting time is not just a few months though. Even the dealers themselves say October. And that is by no means guaranteed. 6 months could turn into 7 or 8 months and then you would get an end of year reg, which is not desirable in Ireland as it will hit the resale value, so you will want to wait for a January 2018 reg. And that's 9 months away. I found it very hard to have to wait almost 3 months, I can't imagine what it would be like to wait 9 months :p

As Mope suggested earlier, see if you can find a demonstrator or see if any Irish dealer has any stock. I'd personally never go for a white one, but there might be some of them around. If you are keen and supply is tight, it invariably means you won't get a great deal though, bear that in mind. I'd say Mope is the only exception to this rule, he's a very lucky man. Although he won't agree with me until he actually bloody gets the car :D

I'd be picky enough as regards a new car so would want a specific Colorado etc. Thanks for all the info so quickly. I will give a ring around just to make sure.

I can decide to hold on the the 19 year old banger for another while or get something to tide me over.

I don't really like the look of the leaf so will give them a miss.

• Advertisement

I don't really like the look of the leaf

Seriously? :pac:

Seriously? :pac:

Yeah seriously.....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,241 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

I don't think even Leaf owners like the look of the leaf.
    The only part I like the look of on the outside is the rear side view.

• Registered Users Posts: 297 ✭✭bipedalhumanoid

I like the look of the leaf. Most people want a boring looking car that just looks like every other car on the road. Most people are boring AF.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,615 ✭✭✭grogi

I like the look of the leaf. Most people want a boring looking car that just looks like every other car on the road. Most people are boring AF.

And for that reason majority of cars sold have 0% of colour... They name them in fancy way - Tectonic Silver, Stealth Grey, Moondust Silver, Magnetic, Titanium etc... But it goes down to 50 Shades of Grey...

Bo-Ring... Sadly :(

ELM327 wrote: »
    I don't much care for the aesthetics of the Leaf. However, that would never stop me buying it. What would stop me buying it is if there's a car on the market that represents better value due to better features and far greater efficiency.

At the moment - in new cars - that means the Ioniq. I'll probably have to switch to the Ioniq once fees for charging come in - and again, once it sheds a chunk of depreciation (albeit I accept this won't happen at the rates that it happened with the Leaf...but then there will always be something newer on the market with killer features to replace it).

In the meantime, the ugly duckling (Leaf) is serving its purpose very well. Has not seen a garage for repairs since I bought it and is saving me a bucketful of cash each month.

Sorry to take all the joy out of it but we have been constantly bombarded since the year dot with advertising proclaiming the sculpted beauty of one car over another. At the end of the day, they're a means to an end. We'll care even less about this once we all eventually end up car sharing (some years down the tracks yet).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,721 ✭✭✭Balmed Out

ELM327 wrote: »

Another who really likes it too, it looks different from most cars which I don't think are so good looking. Looks like it has an ass while the lights which do look weird also look futuristic and somehow apt for an electric vehicle.

Id struggle to think of a car that I think is particularly attractive looking that doesn't cost a fortune.

Balmed Out wrote: »
    Id struggle to think of a car that I think is particularly attractive looking that doesn't cost a fortune.
    I think we place too much value on all of this. At the end of the day, a car is a functional item i.e. it's purpose is to get us from A to B comfortably, safely and economically.

Well lets look at a Golf ? it's boring, but I guess a lot of people like boring. The Leaf is different. I'm not a fan of the front end but I do like it from the side and rear.

Anyway , I spend most of my time in the car and I don't park it at home at the window and sit inside looking out at it. So unless it looks Dacia hideous then I'm happy enough.

From the looks of things Leaf II will have a new front and rear and the middle section of the car looks exactly the same so Not exactly a new model from the ground up though we could get a surprise.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 23,018 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

I could think of a much harder life , for instance, walking to work !

I walk to work every day, 30 minutes each way and I love it!

Even if I had an EV, I would still walk. It is actually faster at peak times and I feel I get to work in the morning refreshed and ready to face the day and the walk home helps me shed the pressures of the work day and to prepare for a nice relaxing evening :)

Of course some people have commutes far beyond that, but that is their choice.
    I think we place too much value on all of this. At the end of the day, a car is a functional item i.e. it's purpose is to get us from A to B comfortably, safely and economically.

Agreed, but that is not how car manufacturers want us thinking, that is why they spend so much on advertising. So they can sell a dream and up sell us on more expensive cars, etc.

• Advertisement

bk wrote: »
    Agreed, but that is not how car manufacturers want us thinking, that is why they spend so much on advertising. So they can sell a dream and up sell us on more expensive cars, etc.
    Agree completely. It's all but impossible to escape the brainwashing due to the rampant, sustained marketing effort in this respect down through the years.

That said, the game is moving on. Perhaps not in Ireland yet but elsewhere there are a lot of the younger generation opting for car sharing. Once driverless cars eventually commercialise, this will be the model and we won't have as much store in those lumps of metal being a sign of affluence.

bk wrote:
    I don't really think it was my 'choice' but I've made amends with it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,958 ✭✭✭✭Shefwedfan

I dont know if you remember KCross you gave me some great advice last year on the auto lawnmower thread. I was planning on buying one but because of the trees around the house I bought a tractor one.

I got the chance to clear all the trees and now trying to get landscaping company to finish off garden

After that I need to try and get Misses to let me sell brand new tractor lawnmower for robomow :P:P:P:P:P

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 23,018 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

That said, the game is moving on. Perhaps not in Ireland yet but elsewhere there are a lot of the younger generation opting for car sharing. Once driverless cars eventually commercialise, this will be the model and we won't have as much store in those lumps of metal being a sign of affluence.

Agree completely. While a bit older, I'm certainly have that same mentality and I see it a great deal amongst many of my friends and colleagues.

A lot of younger people have little interest in cars and have no problem taking public transport or Uber/MyTaxi to get around.

Much faster and more convenient to get anything you want delivered right to your door, Tesco food deliveries, Amazon, ebay, etc. Deliveroo, etc. for take out.

If you are heading out socialising, you will want to drink anyway, so will be taking a taxi/public transport anyway.

If you can get to your work by bike/walk/public transport in a reasonable time, then little need for a car.

Why waste a lot of money on an expensive car when you can be spending that money on social activities, eating out, travelling, etc.

I recently spent some time in Manhattan and it was a real eye opener. Everyone there uses the UberPool service. It is basically a taxi like service but where you share with other people along the route for a reduced fare, people jump in and out of the car next to you as you go.

Sounds weird, but actually works well. Mostly young professional people, people often chat in the cars, I even hear the odd date comes out of it :) People rave about the service there.

Once Uber starts doing self driving cars, these people will be throwing themselves at such services.

FINALLY!

I have it, it is mine mine mine!

See you all on the road! Have not much time, but in short - I love it :-)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,927 ✭✭✭Soarer

Well wear Mope.

Good things come, an' all that.

@Mope - looking forward to your full review of your actual experience of driving her- the good bad and ugly :-)

enjoy.

Well wear :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,808 ✭✭✭✭Water John

Best Wishes Mope. You've a new moped.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,034 ✭✭✭goz83

Great news man.

• Advertisement

Thank you all! Very happy with the car. Today is day of good news... The car... And Juventus just won 3-0 v Barca! Forza Juve!

I am blown away by how it's easy and how functional to use adaptive cruise control! Traffic? What traffic, just sit and enjoy music!
    Llllllooooove it!

Charging with Granny cable now just to get a bit over 120km left so i can make return trip tomorrow with no anxiety and happy driving!

A few software updates later and you could go lie on the back seat and have a nap :D

bk wrote: »

How's that ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 900 ✭✭✭650Ginge

How's that ?

Because you can move closer to work.

One of Mr Money Mustaches rules and he aint ever wrong, except about dogs, he is wrong about dogs.

http://www.mrmoneymustache.com/2013/04/22/curing-your-clown-like-car-habit/

650Ginge wrote: »
    Because you can move closer to work.

One of Mr Money Mustaches rules and he aint ever wrong, except about dogs, he is wrong about dogs.

http://www.mrmoneymustache.com/2013/04/22/curing-your-clown-like-car-habit/

I understand how you might innocently come to that conclusion but bull5hit. It's never that simple.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,480 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

What happens if you do indeed run out of battery in the middle of somewhere .

• Advertisement

Then you ring your insurance companies recovery number (or the AA if you are a member) and they will come out, load your car onto a flatbed and bring you either home or to a charger. Free of charge, but obviously inconvenient.

What happens if you do indeed run out of battery in the middle of somewhere .

If you're still under the Nissan warranty, there's a number you can call for a flatbed. Otherwise, if you purchase the right insurance policy with breakdown cover, they will do the same - dropping you off at the nearest charging point. (oops - I forgot this is the Ioniq thread - do Hyundai offer something similar??)

That said, I don't really want to find myself in that position - I'd rather pre-empt it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,480 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

Maybe one could carry a spare can of electricity in the boot.

if you purchase the right insurance policy with breakdown cover, they will do the same

I think pretty much all comprehensive policies have breakdown cover these days as standard? Mine have had for many years. Before that I was an AA member.

Maybe one could carry a spare can of electricity in the boot.

I was going to post something smart like that, you funny man! :p

But if you do tend to run out (some people can't help themselves), you could always carry a tiny genny and a small can of petrol. Running it for half an hour with the granny cable might just get you were you need to be, but it's a bit of a silly thing to carry around I guess.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement