Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Hyundai Ioniq 28kWh

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 65,750 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

I did come across a software issue today that others (not on boards) have mentioned: the EV drive mode saved settings are lost and it diverts to default settings (like aircon normal and default level 1 regen braking). Not a huge issue and I guess it will be fixed in a software update

Do you get the FCP in your satnav? No, not the one in Tallaght :p

Had the car on the active cruise today for the first time in bad start / stop traffic on the M11 and it works great.

Also had the car loaded up several times last week with rubbish for the dump / big Ikea shop / other furniture and the car can take a good load. Hey, it's a hatch back! Did yo know that the luggage cover fits into the space under the boot? I've taken the big plastic tray out from under there myself and I store Type 2 cable / granny cable / tyre fix kit under there now.

• Registered Users Posts: 452 ✭✭Mope

liamog wrote: »
    If you press the button with the brake depressed the car is fully on.
    Press the button once without the brake and the 12v system is on, entertainment etc...
    Press the button a second time without the brake and the car is on but won't drive unless you press it a third time with the brake depressed.

OK, that would mean if I want "ignition on" that's Second Power press without Brake depressed. Correct?

I left my Granny cable home, together with the case and will probably follow your advise with space under the cover unkel.

I am not sure yet what I am getting in my Sat Nav, but I do get Charging stations. Need to explore more.

Has anyone used Airport Chargers? Need to go to pickup my folks 00:25 AM from T1, I saw that Chargers are in T2 short term, is that correct? That means I still need to pay 3 EUR for 20 min of parking?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,934 ✭✭✭stesaurus

There's a fast charger outside the airport over at the McDonald's. If you pick them up at the drop off area for T2 then you'll be going past it after you exit the airport.
    Other chargers in the car park are slow chargers so just like Tallaght ;)
    There's another fcp a few mins away in Cloghran also

Thanks man, handy location with McDonald. Cup of tea or an ice cream and you good to go :-)

Re those 5 AC points in car park... Has anyone used them?

Type-2 AC Socket 3.7kW (x5, ALL Available)
    24 hour access
    Level 1, Area B 23-28
    Please contact the host premises (+353 1 8144828) for availability information.
    Lat/Long: 53.427300,-6.239500

Charging at FCP in Airport McDonald. 51.5kW incoming, nice.
    I had 73prcnt anyways, but need to pick up people so why not.

Where's the FCB "In" the Airport ?

8 days, 800km. Spent about €0.40 on electricity so far in total :p

Ordered a 15m cable from Phil though, so once I have that, I guess I will charge at home too. My local FCP is just so, convenient! I pass there or stop there nearly every day of the week anyway.

Very happy with the car. It's a large family size hatchback from Korea, front wheel drive. It's a budget car. Nothing to write home about. Except that it drives rather well because of the low center of gravity and the fact it has all of its torque from start. And the best thing of course is that it isn't a cancer causing diesel.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,805 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

Where's the FCB "In" the Airport ?

FCP in the garage on the left before you exit the airport.

It is on Topaz premises. For me to charge there I have to turn around against traffic because of charge cable being too short to reach left side of the car. It is positioned similar to on street charging. One of 3 bays is not for EV.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,595 ✭✭✭✭Calahonda52

Mope wrote: »
    It is on Topaz premises. For me to charge there I have to turn around against traffic because of charge cable being too short to reach left side of the car. It is positioned similar to on street charging. One of 3 bays is not for EV.

53.428675, -6.234599
    Its // parking on right as you drive in, first bay is normal parking, next two are marked for EV.

ICED quite often by the limo type cars waiting for clients and regularly during the day by an employee of the DAA who drives a Leaf and is often plugged in there for 2 or 3 hours

“I can’t pay my staff or mortgage with instagram likes”.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,034 ✭✭✭goz83

53.428675, -6.234599
    Its // parking on right as you drive in, first bay is normal parking, next two are marked for EV.

ICED quite often by the limo type cars waiting for clients and regularly during the day by an employee of the DAA who drives a Leaf and is often plugged in there for 2 or 3 hours

Should a note perhaps be left on the said car, asking the owner to leave the RFID card in the flap, so someone who needs a charge can disconnect the car? This would be my course of action if I seen an EV regularly block a CP.

If a car is fully charged, can ecars not remotely disconnect it?

goz83 wrote: »
    Should a note perhaps be left on the said car, asking the owner to leave the RFID card in the flap, so someone who needs a charge can disconnect the car? This would be my course of action if I seen an EV regularly block a CP.

If a car is fully charged, can ecars not remotely disconnect it?

have done the remote disconnect request when the adjacent bay is empty, she has a DAA parking sticker on the dash, however the second bay is often ICED...

The next time it happens to me I am going to refer the reg to the CEO of the DAA, once the elapsed time goes beyond a reasonable overstay

It is on Topaz premises.

Oh right, I thought they put a new one in the actual airport for a min. :D

I sent a complaint along with pictures to the DAA because a Kangoo ZE was blocking the charge point not plugged in, when the lads came back to the van I asked them why they were blocking a charger not charging then then they said they were charging earlier and when I asked them how they can fast charge a van that can't fast charge the got in and drove off.

Someone from the DAA apologised and ensured it wouldn't happen again. I also made the point that the chargers are not even compatible with the van because it has no fast charge capability.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,087 ✭✭✭isnottheword

then they said they were charging earlier and when I asked them how they can fast charge a van that can't fast charge the got in and drove off......I also made the point that the chargers are not even compatible with the van because it has no fast charge capability.
    I could never get my head round how Renault thought it would be a good idea to manufacture a small van with a small Electric battery without the ability to fast-charge. It beggars belief. I appreciate they have an option on the 40kW (car - not van) that just slow charges - which is fine given the range available via that battery but on the Kangoo?...ridiculous.

• Advertisement

An EV that can't fast charge will always be a failure no matter how large the battery.

The problem with Renault is that ridiculously, foolishly , they thought that "better place" the company who were setting up battery swap facilities went bust and Renault for some mad reason thought it was going to take off.

Now in their madness they could have had a reason for this both in the Kangoo and Fluence, in both vehicles the batter modules were very tightly packed together and fast charging could have cause too much heat. However , depending on a 3rd party company that was really only starting out was simply insane.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 369 ✭✭thelikelylad

Well wear Unkel + Mope :D
    liamog wrote: »
    We drive with regen zero. Pulse and glide is great for city driving.

+1

Personally I'm finding 0 regen to be the best for efficiency, even on longer suburban and rural spins. I keep it at 0 and dial in the regen accordingly to slow down or brake to a stop. Only discovered last week that you can hold the regen paddles for a second to give you full or 0 regen, saves tapping 3 times :o

Got 12.0kWh/100km yesterday on a 110km trip via the N71 from Schull to Cork city. Normal driving, 100km/h when possible and a few bursts in sports mode for overtaking. Fairly happy as this is probably the longest route (roundtrip) I would do on a semi-regular basis.
    Soarer wrote: »
    So I know there are at least 2 new owners on here (Unkel, Mope).
    How are ye getting on?
    I know the point and squirtability of the EV probably has ye driving a bit more uneconomically than ye normally would, but what sort of "real world" range are ye getting? Are ye comfortably over the 200km per charge range?
    Any weird rattle/squeaks/niggles?
    Glad ye took the plunge?

I'm still getting used to driving economically particularly when it comes to traffic lights :D Does that ever get old? :pac: But yeah delighted with EV ownership so far, don't even have the home CP installed yet - I could definitely live with just the granny cable.

Based on my initial findings in terms of efficiency and my driving style I would conservatively use the following estimates when planning a journey in the Ioniq. These allow for having ~20km left in the tank to hopefully get me out of any potential trouble if depending on a public CP or FCP at my destination.

Motorway (~120km/h): 150km
    National routes (~100km/h): ~200km
    Suburban/rural (~50-60km/h): ~220km

My first longer trip will be this Wednesday up to Monaghan area for whole day of rally school experience for my wife. Will glance on route ahead maybe tomorrow but any recommendations on what to aim for or what to avoid? We are staying in Monaghan over night so no need for return trip straight away.

Some more feedback re car:
    Not sure if it's my phone or something weird is happening but when I am using Android Auto my Phone calls sometimes aren't going via car speakers. A message shows up saying BT isn't on or phone not connected, but it is and paired. When I go to phone settings I see car paired and all, but under phone calls there is no tick and I cannot tick it. To fix this I need to do one of these steps: either unpair and pair again or switch of Android Auto and switch it back on.

To me it smells like car Bluetooth is fighting with Android Auto BT. That is, if i wouldn't connect USB cable phone calls are going all good via BT, but then no Android Auto.
    Anyone has anything similar?
    I am going to try few more things out and report back.
    600+km covered so far, no home charger installed yet

5 owners who are regulars on boards. Not bad going at all! We must keep our register up, so please fill in below, thelikelylad and liamog:

1. Mope - Ioniq BEV - Platinum Silver - 171D
    2. unkel - Ioniq BEV - Platinum Silver - 171D
    3. liamog - Ioniq BEV - Polar White - 171
    4. Fiery mutant - Ioniq BEV - polar White - 171 WH
    5. thelikelylad Ioniq BEV - 171

I would conservatively use the following estimates when planning a journey in the Ioniq. These allow for having ~20km left in the tank to hopefully get me out of any potential trouble if depending on a public CP or FCP at my destination.

Motorway (~120km/h): 150km
    National routes (~100km/h): ~200km
    Suburban/rural (~50-60km/h): ~220km

I'd say you're in the ballpark there with conservative estimates. Have a trip coming up in the summer where I will not have a FCP until Waterford which is 160km from my home (except the one in Naas, but I'm still almost fully charged passing that one). I normally cruise well above 120km/h on empty good quality motorways, but I don't think that will be wise this time, with no alternative fast charging possible. Car will be full of people and luggage, and aircon will be blasting ice cold (for at least the driver :D)

What would be the speed you'd recommend for me to make it for sure to the FCP 160km away? Final destination is 225km away, I could probably make it without charging, but I wouldn't like to depend on granny charging and arriving dead empty and taking a big risk with the whole family in the car and driving at Miss Daisy speeds :p

I think I would be doing 110 first half, see how it eats juices.

I am most likely have range anxiety today. Left house with 108 on range and round trip is 80km :)
    Came to work with 67 range left, didn't do 120kmh. Just 105 or similar. With heater on 22'. Radio, 0 regeneration, few minutes of seat heat for missis.
    Should be all grand coming home

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,599 ✭✭✭Fiskar

Unkel, start at 5 am on your journey to avoid rush hour, Can your trip account for 1 hour stuck in traffic if there is an accident?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,285 ✭✭✭cros13

Fiskar wrote: »
    Unkel, start at 5 am on your journey to avoid rush hour, Can your trip account for 1 hour stuck in traffic if there is an accident?

Rush hour is an excellent way to stretch your range :P

Actually... one way to do it is to go via portlaoise, ballacolla or urlingford rapid and then down through kilkenny. it's about 15/20 minutes on to the journey but it works.
    Or ESB could have solved the whole issue by replacing the Junction 14 and Carlow rapids (both of which were replaced in the last 12 months) with triple heads...but noooo... they wanted to do it on the cheap.... despite it being blindingly obvious to everyone and their next door neighbors dog that chademo was on the way out in europe.

I averaged 16.1 Kwh/100 kms with some wind and wet roads , @110 Kph.

Anyway by the time I got to Wicklow Town Charger I had driven 125 Kms and had 33% left, so based on my efficiency at that point , I would say I'd have got about 170 Kms. Efficiency at that point was around 15.3 Kwh/100 kms.

The thing is that you need to leave 20-30 Kms to get to a charge point.

I got from 33% charge to 90in 25 mins, that was brilliant.

I reckon (based on my experience) 300 Kms with a 30 Min charge are possible, perhaps more in 20+ degrees.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,927 ✭✭✭Soarer

unkel wrote: »
    5 owners who are regulars on boards. Not bad going at all! We must keep our register up, so please fill in below, thelikelylad and liamog:

3. liamog - Ioniq BEV - Polar White - 171

There's a chap in Glanmire has a 171 black one. Works in Texaco. Wonder if he frequents these parts?

I hope he's putting them under pressure to install a Chademo/CCS chargepoint! ;)

I'd say you're in the ballpark there with conservative estimates. Have a trip coming up in the summer where I will not have a FCP until Waterford which is 160km from my home (except the one in Naas, but I'm still almost fully charged passing that one). I normally cruise well above 120km/h on empty good quality motorways, but I don't think that will be wise this time, with no alternative fast charging possible. Car will be full of people and luggage, and aircon will be blasting ice cold (for at least the driver :D)

What would be the speed you'd recommend for me to make it for sure to the FCP 160km away? Final destination is 225km away, I could probably make it without charging, but I wouldn't like to depend on granny charging and arriving dead empty and taking a big risk with the whole family in the car and driving at Miss Daisy speeds :p

I haven't done any long motorway spins with 5 in the car so not 100% sure but I would stick to 110km/h max to start with. I love adaptive cruise but I think it hurts efficiency on a long motorway run so that's another thing to consider. I could be wrong but I think adaptive cruise uses regen level 1 by default? So you
    won't really save any juice by coasting. Personally I would have a backup CP in Killkenny in mind and then make a call on whether a stop is needed when you near the M9 exit. Shouldn't be too hard to kill some time there if needs be.
    cros13 wrote: »
    Rush hour is an excellent way to stretch your range :P

Actually... one way to do it is to go via ballacolla or urlingford rapid and then down through kilkenny. it's a bout 20 minutes on to the journey but it works.
    Or ESB could have solved the whole issue by replacing the Junction 14 and Carlow rapids (both of which were replaced in the last 12 months) with triple heads...but noooo... they wanted to do it on the cheap.... despite it being blindingly obvious to everyone and their next door neighbors dog that chademo was on the way out in europe.

This could be an option actually. Manor Stone is a nice place to stop, normally not too busy either and you could grab a Taco fries or have a nose at the Tesla Supercharger ;)
    The thing is that you need to leave 20-30 Kms to get to a charge point.

At least if there are issues with Waterford FCP then there seems to be a few CP's quite close by to get you out of trouble. So you only need to have about 5km left on arrival in Waterford to get you out of any trouble.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 8,061 Mod ✭✭✭✭liamog

3. liamog - Ioniq BEV - Phantom Black - 171D

On a business trip to Boston at the mo, 4 months with no home charger, holiday to Canada for the first week of May, where we have a Model S test drive booked.
    I've the complicated charger install in a mgmt. company estate. All is approved, am scheduling for after our return.

4. Fiery mutant - Ioniq BEV - Polar White - 171 WH
    5. thelikelylad - Ioniq BEV - Polar White - 171C

:)

So can anyone comment on two things I noticed with the car so far?
    Doors handles and Phone Bluetooth when using Android Auto?

How do you guys exactly calculate what potential range can you do with the style you drive? I have to write this down somewhere.

4. Fiery mutant - Ioniq BEV - Polar White - 171 WH
    5. thelikelylad - Ioniq BEV - Polar White - 171C

:)

Dowtcha boy!

Corcaigh Abú!

I haven't had any issues with bluetooth and Android Auto so can't help there sorry. I just plug in and hit the media button to open Android Auto and it works fine - Normally just use Spotify and Maps. Have you another Android phone you can try with?

I've noticed the chrome on the door handles are bad for fingerprints on mine. Also the rear window seems to get dirty/dusty quite easily. Had the same problem on my old Civic, similar split rear window design.
    How do you guys exactly calculate what potential range can you do with the style you drive? I have to write this down somewhere.

The indicated range estimated by the car actually annoys me because it remembers the hard driving I was doing during the week when I want to do a long trip at the weekend as economically as possible :p I know the car can do the journey but the the indicated range is skewed by previous uneconomical driving. I tried resetting the "Eco driving" entries and trip computers and the indicated range improved slightly. Maybe I just need to do more kms before this will even out.

If I'm doing a longer trip where I care about efficiency then I normally reset the Efficiency computer and one of the banks on the trip computer. Then during the journey I can keep an eye on the kWh/100km and get a good feel for what range I can get before looking to charge.

• Advertisement

Yes, I do have Android Phone (HTC M8s), I usually plug the cable, wait for Android Auto logo appear on Dash (I've added it to My Menu) and that is it. But sometimes Phone calls just won't work due to previously described issues.
    As for rear window - visibility in that thing is terrible, almost non existing. I have Juventus scarf on there just to cover it even more >:)

I saw someone calculating his range by using this kWh/100km, but I don't understand it :] My avg is 13.7 give or take 0.2kWh
    Is it counted as 28 kWh in total so if I do 13kWh on Avg I should get 28 - 13.5 (100KM) - 13.5 (100KM) and then I have 1kWh left after driving 200km with my given avg? :D Is this how it's calculated? Sorry if I am being stupid here

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,138 ✭✭✭✭KCross

I saw someone calculating his range by using this kWh/100km, but I don't understand it :] My avg is 13.7 give or take 0.2kWh
    Is it counted as 28 kWh in total so if I do 13kWh on Avg I should get 28 - 13.5 (100KM) - 13.5 (100KM) and then I have 1kWh left after driving 200km with my given avg? :D Is this how it's calculated? Sorry if I am being stupid here

You have 28kWh usable so if you do 13.5kWh/100km you do this....

(28/13.5)*100 and that gives you your range if you maintained that efficiency..... 207km in your case.... which would be from 100%-0% so obviously you would actually get less than 207km as you want to get home! :)

That is awesome :-) I feel so much more up to speed with the car :D (the joy is in little things!)

At least if there are issues with Waterford FCP then there seems to be a few CP's quite close by to get you out of trouble. So you only need to have about 5km left on arrival in Waterford to get you out of any trouble.

Having 7 Kw charging as the 6.6 Kw in the Leaf will prove very convenient and will greatly minimise fast charger usage.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,553 ✭✭✭Fiery mutant

I haven't noticed anything to be honest with the handles, but I'll keep an eye out for it.

The Android auto I have only used a little bit, but when I have used it, it has worked fine, much better than the Bluetooth on my previous cars.

We should defend our way of life to an extent that any attempt on it is crushed, so that any adversary will never make such an attempt in the future.

The indicated range estimated by the car actually annoys me because it remembers the hard driving I was doing during the week when I want to do a long trip at the weekend as economically as possible :p I know the car can do the journey but the the indicated range is skewed by previous uneconomical driving. I tried resetting the "Eco driving" entries and trip computers and the indicated range improved slightly. Maybe I just need to do more kms before this will even out.

If I'm doing a longer trip where I care about efficiency then I normally reset the Efficiency computer and one of the banks on the trip computer. Then during the journey I can keep an eye on the kWh/100km and get a good feel for what range I can get before looking to charge.

I think you will get used to the average range per battery % more than the GOM.

Actually... one way to do it is to go via portlaoise, ballacolla or urlingford rapid

This will increase the trip by 20km to 240km, but the beautiful thing is that Urlingford rapid is at the half way point and I presume I will have destination charging (rented holiday home), so I only need to worry about having 120km range. This can easily be done in the Ioniq V-max :p

So thanks for the tip!

Almost 1000km done so far. And spent a total of €0.40 in electricity...

Urban driving test from an owner in the UK - 6 hour test - he got 290km range

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,480 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

0.40 , a gallon of petrol must be 6.50
    There is 16.25 0.40's in 6.50
    So 16.25 x 1000 is 16250
    So basically you are getting 16250 MPG .

I guess you drive with a face like this

smug.jpg

• Advertisement

The €0.40 was just for testing my (free) home charge point. The car was already 90% charged when I hooked it up. Once I get my long cable I'll be charging at home a lot more but yeah, it's cheaper for me to buy a brand new car than to keep driving my worthless banger which was high tax and a gaz guzzler!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,404 ✭✭✭peposhi

So far I have always parked on the left parking slot at a triple head DC charger to leave space for i3s. With the Ioniq's arrival I may well park behind the charger to leave space for everybody...
    :-)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,081 ✭✭✭fricatus

This will increase the trip by 20km to 240km, but the beautiful thing is that Urlingford rapid is at the half way point and I presume I will have destination charging (rented holiday home), so I only need to worry about having 120km range. This can easily be done in the Ioniq V-max :p

I'm just wondering why you'd presume a holiday home would have a charge point. They ought to of course, and in an ideal world they would... but this is Ireland, and shur why would you want wanna dem tings? I take it you've a backup plan?

As regards your route, would you be better off "brimming her" at the fast charger in Naas and then heading straight down the M9? As I understand it, Naas-Waterford is doable, though maybe at a more sedate pace than you might like! Seriously though, Urlingford-Kilkenny is an absolute dose, so I would seriously consider this option (and the ESB might consider installing a fast charger in Carlow...).

Anyway, each to their own I guess... I'd prefer to go a little more slowly on the motorway (within reason of course, down to 110-ish), but you might relish the challenge of twisty country roads. No matter where you go in the country, there's always someone who can tell you a better route than the one you're taking! :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,114 ✭✭✭✭listermint

fricatus wrote: »
    I'm just wondering why you'd presume a holiday home would have a charge point. They ought to of course, and in an ideal world they would... but this is Ireland, and shur why would you want wanna dem tings? I take it you've a backup plan?

As regards your route, would you be better off "brimming her" at the fast charger in Naas and then heading straight down the M9? As I understand it, Naas-Waterford is doable, though maybe at a more sedate pace than you might like! Seriously though, Urlingford-Kilkenny is an absolute dose, so I would seriously consider this option (and the ESB might consider installing a fast charger in Carlow...).

Anyway, each to their own I guess... I'd prefer to go a little more slowly on the motorway (within reason of course, down to 110-ish), but you might relish the challenge of twisty country roads. No matter where you go in the country, there's always someone who can tell you a better route than the one you're taking! :pac:

You can plug it in via a granny cable....

Into the holiday home which i presume has electricity. Otherwise it would be a fairly ****e holiday home

(and the ESB might consider installing a fast charger in Carlow...
    52.8465796 -6.902297

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,081 ✭✭✭fricatus

52.8465796 -6.902297

I see that now, but I had the app filtered for CCS... am I right in saying that the Ioniq can't use that one?

Not that it matters to me... I'm consigned to ICE until my car dies or else the government tax me out of it and into a shiny new EV. :D

• Advertisement

You're right, Ioniq can not use CHAdeMO in Carlow

Was planning to use the granny cable for nightly top up, there's slow chargers around too in several places. Actually going to Ardmore (that's almost in Cork) so cros13 route suggestion makes sense
    I'm consigned to ICE until my car dies or else the government tax me out of it and into a shiny new EV. :D

Do some sums. You might be surprised. Particularly if you currently pay a good bit of tax and / or if your annual mileage is average or above. You can get a decent Leaf from about €6k. Range would be pretty limited, but once you get the car, it costs almost nothing to run.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,285 ✭✭✭cros13

I'd advise Ballacolla over Urlingford. Urlingford's not well maintained, harder to find and stuck in a corner with not much in the way of nearby services.

Do some sums. You might be surprised. Particularly if you currently pay a good bit of tax and / or if your annual mileage is average or above. You can get a decent Leaf from about €6k. Range would be pretty limited, but once you get the car, it costs almost nothing to run.

2ee7761d3a576d19b1cc80270b328afc.jpg

Windy, rainy, 2 people in car, 120kmh - avg 14.5 to 14.8kWh/100km.
    Top up on M1 and heading to Scotstown, Monaghan.

I'd advise Ballacolla over Urlingford. Urlingford's not well maintained, harder to find and stuck in a corner with not much in the way of nearby services.

I looked it up and it really looks like a nice place to stop, award winning services and all. Problem is it's not even an hour into my journey (not yet a sweet point to stop with 3 young kids) and I would still have 160km left after it.

Maybe the Waterford way is the best to go for after all...

Tested the Ioniq at a constant 145km/h (140km/h real speed) and the consumption was about 19.5kWh/100km. Night time, so lights on, heat on and 4 people in the car. On the flat, no wind to speak of. That's not bad at all. Implied range of 144km at a very decent cruising speed :)

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement