Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Hyundai Ioniq 28kWh

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 452 ✭✭Mope

Right, we are at RallySchoolIreland
    I've reset avg when leaving M1 FCP, came here with 15.2kWh on dash.

unkel wrote: »
    I looked it up and it really looks like a nice place to stop, award winning services and all. Problem is it's not even an hour into my journey (not yet a sweet point to stop with 3 young kids) and I would still have 160km left after it.

Maybe the Waterford way is the best to go for after all...

Tested the Ioniq at a constant 145km/h (140km/h real speed) and the consumption was about 19.5kWh/100km. Night time, so lights on, heat on and 4 people in the car. On the flat, no wind to speak of. That's not bad at all. Implied range of 144km at a very decent cruising speed :)

That's pretty good at 145 Km/h, over what distance ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 65,750 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

Only a short stretch, maybe 1 or 2 km. Kept the speed constant, reset the consumption and when it got a reading, it stayed pretty constant too

Also tried 130km/h (125km/h real) and I think it showed about 17kWh/100km (range 165km). So even in a very aerodynamic car like the Ioniq, increase the speed and the range suffers badly!

My readings were very similar unkel. Didn't go above 120 and in later stage it was 100 or 80. I'm planning to not reset anything on the way home and do speed according to rules. Will see avg.
    What a day at RallySchoolIreland​! Wife is so tired from all the driving. I couldn't resist going for a spin in Ford MK myself

Only a short stretch, maybe 1 or 2 km. Kept the speed constant, reset the consumption and when it got a reading, it stayed pretty constant too

Also tried 130km/h (125km/h real) and I think it showed about 17kWh/100km (range 165km). So even in a very aerodynamic car like the Ioniq, increase the speed and the range suffers badly!

Ah right so you got 19.5 Kwh/100 Kms over a short distance, different story, would love to see that over 40-50 Kms. ;)

What would be really cool for the Ioniq is a carwings type system where you can log daily, weekly , monthly and yearly data.

Ah right so you got 19.5 Kwh/100 Kms over a short distance, different story, would love to see that over 40-50 Kms. ;)

Why would it be different? This was on a straight level motorway (as empty as they come in Dublin) and I kept the speed as fixed as I could. The consumption also looked pretty fixed. The aim of the exercise was to find out consumption at different speeds

Now obviously if there were hills, and traffic and I had to constantly slow down and move up from 95km/h to 145km/h (with my heavy foot and in Sport mode naturally :p), then my range wouldn't be anywhere near the range based on a constant speed

And yes, the Ioniq is lacking on the logging / app side of things (outsided the US). Created an account with Hyundai US to see can I install the US app, but it didn't even recognise the VIN of my car. And the Ioniq EV was not even on the list of cars to pick :p (it's only for sale since the start of this month). There is Amazon Echo support which is very cool, but no doubt only if you use an Amazon US account

Funny thing is that Hyundai was the first manufacturer in the world to support Android Auto back in 2015. Had a play with that today using an old phone, but there isn't a lot in that, is there?

Oh yes it is different, what would be better is a leaf spy equivalent that records actual Kwh consumed, then you could get a more accurate picture, Kwh/100 kms is an average which is different over a short distance compared to a longer distance.

No it does record the actual kWh consumed and the length of the trip, per trip. Don't think there's an easy way to get the data off though to PC / USB / App / wifi etc.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,295 ✭✭✭n97 mini

Why would it be different? This was on a straight level motorway (as empty as they come in Dublin) and I kept the speed as fixed as I could. The consumption also looked pretty fixed.

The sample size is too small. It's like driving an ICE one mile and concluding based on that that it does x mpg.

Also, there are no flat motorways around Dublin. They all slope. From the M50 the M1, M2 and M11 slope downwards, the M4 and N7 upwards (for the first 10 miles or so), so you need to test in both directions. As an example of the kind of difference this makes I can drive from home to Ballinalack FCP on 65%. Coming back only takes 55%. Going is mostly uphill.

Ideally you need to drive full to empty a few times, using different driving styles, to get a good picture. We've had the Leaf since September and I'm still figuring out what's possible and what's not.

• Advertisement

Yes I know it records the trip but it's really convenient to have the daily, weekly, etc , data.

Oh just forget about range and efficiency lads, drive the damn car and enjoy it , once it has the range for most of your needs then happy days, the fast charging is really decent too.

I really liked the suspension on the Ioniq on rough roads, it doesn't have the tight planted feel as the SVE Leaf but it sure is comfortable. The Leaf wants to be driven and is quiet a bit of fun on back roads.

Oh just forget about range and efficiency lads, drive the damn car and enjoy it , once it has the range for most of your needs then happy days, the fast charging is really decent too.

I really liked the suspension on the Ioniq on rough roads, it doesn't have the tight planted feel as the SVE Leaf but it sure is comfortable. The Leaf wants to be driven and is quiet a bit of fun on back roads.

Ioniq hybrid and plug-in have a multi-link rear suspension. EV is torsion beam. Boo!

Having said that the Leaf has the same rear suspension. I haven't driven the Ioniq but the Leaf's plantedness is probably more to do with the batteries being under the whole passenger area whereas in the Ioniq they're essentially in the boot. Leaf handles good, but not great.

I wonder would either lift their inside rear wheel on tight corners? :)

My rocks aren't big enough to try this in any corner. Well not on twisty road anyway, maybe in some car park :)

I agree with MadLad, I'm going to just drive the car the way I'd normally do, without thinking of what I drive for maybe 2-3 weeks without resetting avg meter.

But have to say, driving EV made me even more conscious of how car reacts to your driving habits.

I'd recommend EV to anyone!

Driving efficient is boring and Ev is meant to be driven.

I haven't cocked any wheel on the leaf yet, it just slides if you push it too far but you do have to really push it to get it to slide.

Driving efficient is boring and Ev is meant to be driven.

I haven't cocked any wheel on the leaf yet, it just slides if you push it too far but you do have to really push it to get it to slide.

Are you sure? You can't tell as a driver! :)

n97 mini wrote: »
    Are you sure? You can't tell as a driver! :)

Ah I'm sure, it will slide first. :D

The sample size is too small. It's like driving an ICE one mile and concluding based on that that it does x mpg.

Also, there are no flat motorways around Dublin. They all slope. From the M50 the M1, M2 and M11 slope downwards, the M4 and N7 upwards (for the first 10 miles or so), so you need to test in both directions. As an example of the kind of difference this makes I can drive from home to Ballinalack FCP on 65%. Coming back only takes 55%. Going is mostly uphill.

Ideally you need to drive full to empty a few times, using different driving styles, to get a good picture. We've had the Leaf since September and I'm still figuring out what's possible and what's not.

All true! I wasn't conducting a scientific experiment though, just trying to gauge what the electricity use was at some of the common speeds I drive at :p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,927 ✭✭✭Soarer

Met a lovely man at the FCP in Rochestown this evening. 171C black Ioniq. Doesn't frequent Boards. Drives the wheels off his car! Reckons he's getting around 200kms to a charge, which would tell you about his driving style!

While we were chatting, a White Ioniq pulled into the shop. He didn't come over for a chat. He probably wanted to, but was with his missus and she wouldn't let him!

They're everywhere!

• Advertisement

This doesn't fit with my experience at all in the Ioniq over 207 Kms at normal driving speeds, at 15.3 Kwh/100 kms would suggest 180 kms range. I'm sure 200 and a bit more in Summer. At 100 Kph and a bit less no problem.

It's one story reckoning and estimating especially when you don't have leaf spy to see exactly what's in the tank.....

The real proof would be to drive it at 100 Kph until it dies. Any takers ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,702 ✭✭✭✭BoatMad

perhaps someone could drive Carrickmines retail park to Gorey at a speedo indicated 105 mph and report energy used and battery state , Ive not seen much real world iconiq really data from ireland as yet

What's that in km/h? I am very far from that location myself, why there? I would be interested to be test subject if I can make it... Any other place?

Mope wrote: »
    What's that in km/h? I am very far from that location myself, why there? I would be interested to be test subject if I can make it... Any other place?

because I have copious data as to a 30 kwh leaf doing that journey and the M11 is interesting as there are significant topological features that impact range

PS sorry I meant at 105 km/h ( blame apple autocorrect )

OK, so speed of 105km/h from Carrickmines SC to Gorey? This route? Link to Google Maps

I will be South side of Dublin this Saturday. Will think of doing this test for you. I see there are 4 FCPs within very good reach on this route. So for me its Lusk to my friends house (The Gallops, Sandyford), then Carrickmines -> Gorey (124kms in total), FCP there and back to Carrickmines? Correct?
    What other criteria have to be met? A/C, Blower, Heat, Radio, Android Auto?

Reset trip and avg meters before setting of from Carrickmines and not touch it until stopping back in Carrickmines? For the sake of data I will do my best to be able to do the test even if this costs me 2hrs of my life :]]]

OK, so speed of 105km/h from Carrickmines SC to Gorey? This route? Link to Google Maps

I will be South side of Dublin this Saturday. Will think of doing this test for you. I see there are 4 FCPs within very good reach on this route. So for me its Lusk to my friends house (The Gallops, Sandyford), then Carrickmines -> Gorey (124kms in total), FCP there and back to Carrickmines? Correct?
    What other criteria have to be met? A/C, Blower, Heat, Radio, Android Auto?

Reset trip and avg meters before setting of from Carrickmines and not touch it until stopping back in Carrickmines? For the sake of data I will do my best to be able to do the test even if this costs me 2hrs of my life :]]]

I cant speak for the Ioniq, having only one short test drive, but on the Leaf the heaters and zircon , heated seats etc have virtually no effect on range, so if similar in the Ioniq, just drive with the normal level of " toys " active

You can fast charge in Luas Sandyford and Gorey, There should be no charging on route needed

I only have good reliable repeatable data from Carrickmines to Gorey ( ending in the FCP in Gorey ) and of course the return journey

The south going M11 is more aggressive on range then the North going , but if you collect data on the return journey all the better.

given the comments I would expect a considerable improvement over the 30 kWh lead, so it would be interesting

Id offer a cup of tea, but I have a 440 km round trip to west of Athlone in the Leaf to do on Saturday !

Data to collect , elapsed time, battery start percentage , battery end percentage , stated consumption efficiency ( Kw per 100 km)

and thanks , its would be interesting to get like for like testing

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,638 ✭✭✭zilog_jones

Ioniq hybrid and plug-in have a multi-link rear suspension. EV is torsion beam. Boo!

Having said that the Leaf has the same rear suspension. I haven't driven the Ioniq but the Leaf's plantedness is probably more to do with the batteries being under the whole passenger area whereas in the Ioniq they're essentially in the boot. Leaf handles good, but not great.

The 3rd gen Prius has a similar suspension setup (rear torsion beam), and the general consensus for improving handling seems to be to fit a rear sway bar (there are a few manufacturers), although I'm not sure how much it affects ride quality. I'm not sure what's available for the Ioniq, but it considering it's a fairly new model it might take a while for 3rd party stuff to become available.

You mean parts wise if something is to be replaced on the rear suspension bits?

On a Side note: I got my home CP installed just now (maybe 30 min ago). As I was expecting installer did not have 6mm2 cable with him and was talking about: "We do not install those" until I referenced email I have from actual ESB diagram. Basically he said: "because your run is very short, below 4m, the 4mm2 cable is capable of carrying 32A). I did not want to hear much of that and asked to come back and fit me 6mm2 cable when he has one. After few minutes of: "I do not know, we are supposed to visit property only once" he finally agreed to comeback and fit it for free.

I am very surprised by the size of the box, it is HUUUGE. Its Black and Gray box with eCar and NMD logos and an "ABL" icon on bottom right.

Installer said the meter, you guys spoke on the other thread to see how much EV alone took from my bill, is circa 80-90 EUR to get done and he could fit one if I want. Should I go ahead? There is ample of space in this yoke unless it needs to go to Consumer Unit

Picture of CP

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 369 ✭✭thelikelylad

Picture of CP

Can you measure and post the dimensions if you don't mind?

It is an ABL eMH1 right?

I have no clue which ABL it is, but it is ABL for sure as there is a logo on it. I can measure it when I am home this evening. It is way bigger than I thought it will be.

Is it bad/good or OK-ish if it's eMH1?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,615 ✭✭✭grogi

"because your run is very short, below 4m, the 4mm2 cable is capable of carrying 32A.

What a cowboy.

So he was talking bollocks? I have 0 knowledge in terms of Electricity things. All I know it hurts when you are shocked by 220v :D Enough so I respect electricity with great fear :D

Installer said the meter, you guys spoke on the other thread to see how much EV alone took from my bill, is circa 80-90 EUR to get done and he could fit one if I want. Should I go ahead? There is ample of space in this yoke unless it needs to go to Consumer Unit

I'd get it done if I were you.

The novelty might wear off after a while, but being able to have a look and seeing at a glance (per week or whatever) how much your car is costing you, should be interesting.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,615 ✭✭✭grogi

So he was talking bollocks? I have 0 knowledge in terms of Electricity things. All I know it hurts when you are shocked by 220v :D Enough so I respect electricity with great fear :D

There will be additional voltage drop if 32A is pushed - but if the cable is short, it does not really matter.

But 4mm cable might overheat when it carries 32A.

I'm like mope and wouldn't have a clue.

But surely that installer should be complained or whatever if he's spouting that tripe?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,595 ✭✭✭✭Calahonda52

Can you measure and post the dimensions if you don't mind?

It is an ABL eMH1 right?

its 262 mm high 222 mm wide, from the drilling template and about 105 mm deep
    hah

edit: pic
    its not connected yet so no installer sticker.
    Note position on wall to save the knuckles

“I can’t pay my staff or mortgage with instagram likes”.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,638 ✭✭✭zilog_jones

You mean parts wise if something is to be replaced on the rear suspension bits?

A rear sway bar (aka anti-roll bar) is an additional component to the rear suspension to increase stiffness and reduce roll. I assume the Ioniq EV is not normally fitted with one, but that and a strut brace on the front are fairly common (also reasonably cheap and easy to fit) modifications to improve handling.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,138 ✭✭✭✭KCross

On a Side note: I got my home CP installed just now (maybe 30 min ago). As I was expecting installer did not have 6mm2 cable with him and was talking about: "We do not install those" until I referenced email I have from actual ESB diagram. Basically he said: "because your run is very short, below 4m, the 4mm2 cable is capable of carrying 32A). I did not want to hear much of that and asked to come back and fit me 6mm2 cable when he has one. After few minutes of: "I do not know, we are supposed to visit property only once" he finally agreed to comeback and fit it for free.

Technically he is probably right but 6mm2 is recommended to ensure that it doesn't overheat. 4mm2 might be OK for 32A for short durations in the right conditions but it could overheat if its hot outside and you have it running at 32A for several hours.

Its good just for informational purposes. Its not necessary, but if you have the money to spare I would. The meter is probably the best part of €50 and will only take him a few mins to install it so you could bargain him a bit unless he is getting you a more expensive model or something.

Note position on wall to save the knuckles

Good thinking on the knuckle protection. That is one downside to these ABL untethered side fitting units. The Rolec's seem to be all front fitting so its not an issue on them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,285 ✭✭✭cros13

KCross wrote: »
    Technically he is probably right but 6mm2 is recommended to ensure that it doesn't overheat. 4mm2 might be OK for 32A for short durations in the right conditions but it could overheat if its hot outside and you have it running at 32A for several hours.

A few instances of fires/chargepoint malfunctions in the UK were linked to installers using 4sqmm SWA instead of 6sqmm for 32A chargepoints.

Installer said the meter, you guys spoke on the other thread to see how much EV alone took from my bill, is circa 80-90 EUR to get done

Sounds like a reasonable price to have it installed, and it's a gimmick, so it's nice to have :)

That said, you are going to spend about €100 on electricity (night rate) per 10k km. Do you really need to know to the nearest euro exactly how much? And if so is that worth the guts of a years electricity for driving your EV?

• Advertisement

Re protections or rather positioning of CP for knuckles you are probably right. I will see how tight/hard it is to get the plug in and out this evening and report. I hope I won't get my hand in to the wall as those bricks are very rough.

Re protections or rather positioning of CP for knuckles you are probably right. I will see how tight/hard it is to get the plug in and out this evening and report. I hope I won't get my hand in to the wall as those bricks are very rough.

Rough? Those nice smooth bricks? That's nothing compared to my pebble-dash :p

I'm acutely aware of the knuckle scraping dangers thanks to some posters on my charge point thread, so I was careful when I used it, but I won't be using it again until I have my 15m cable and leave it permanently plugged in (using it as if it were tethered)

Looks like you have exactly the same free chargepoint as Calahonda and myself. So did they use the 6mm2 cable after all? If so, you're just a 40A RCBO and a flash of the box away from having an (almost free) 32A charge point.

No, he used 4mm2 and promised to call back in to replace it with 6mm2 in few weeks.

This 40A RCBO is installed in the CP itself or my CU?

Have you Flashed yours yet?

RCBO is in the CU. Installer is not allowed to use 40A RCBO. ESB says: verboten!

So he installed 4mm2 and will come back and replace it with 6mm2? For free? You must have frightened him or his boss even more than I did, fair play to ya :p

Haven't flashed mine yet. Hell, haven't even used it yet apart from testing that it worked.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,138 ✭✭✭✭KCross

Some UK folks complaining about charging issues on the Ioniq and a possible recall
    https://speakev.com/threads/charging-issues.43713/#post-800153

Yes, he agreed to comeback with no extra cost. I wasn't rude or demanding to him either, just explained the situation.

Finally home, attached is how much space is for my hand there, I should be grand charging. All working. 48prcnt 4.40hrs remaining. By the time I wrote this and took some pictures it's 50prcnt and 4.30hrs.

See diagram of ABL unit and RCBO used for installation

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,934 ✭✭✭stesaurus

Get rid of that eCar sticker, yuck! Draw some glowing eyes on it instead and you have your very own "War Machine"

I've seen 4mm cable rated for 32 amps, I don't see an issue once it's rated for that.

A leaf will pull about 30 amps. Ioniq maybe 30.5-31 amps. Perhaps a long run then yeah I'd go with 6mm.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,114 ✭✭✭✭listermint

I've seen 4mm cable rated for 32 amps, I don't see an issue once it's rated for that.

A leaf will pull about 30 amps. Ioniq maybe 30.5-31 amps. Perhaps a long run then yeah I'd go with 6mm.

Always go with over the rating when pulling high amps. Unless the 4mm has proper shielding on it then don't go near it. Most stuff won't.

So why bother when 6mm costs f all more.

?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement