Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Hyundai Ioniq 28kWh

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 65,750 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

There's nothing in a household that would pull the full current for hours on end like an EV. I'm no electrician, but to go below the minimum set standard (6mm2) for a certain current (32A) for such an appliance seems lunacy to me.

@mope - make sure they come back and install 6mm2 before you flash to 32A - are you going to flash it yourself?

• Registered Users Posts: 452 ✭✭Mope

Have no clue how and even where to start but if you plan do yours and have someone who will do it for you- let me know.

I don't see myself charging car longer than 4-5 hours due the range i do, but having quicker charge is always a plus.

Let's try and be at that Tesla event on Wed and have a chat

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,285 ✭✭✭cros13

I've seen 4mm cable rated for 32 amps, I don't see an issue once it's rated for that.
    unkel wrote: »
    There's nothing in a household that would pull the full current for hours on end like an EV. I'm no electrician, but to go below the minimum set standard (6mm2) for a certain current (32A) for such an appliance seems lunacy to me.

Exactly. I just wouldn't trust it in a domestic environment with potentially in the future 9-10 hours of 32A current draw. It would on the balance of probabilities be fine, especially over a short distance.... but there will be the odd install where everything will go wrong and the lottery numbers will come up.

6sqmm... not a bother.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,524 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

Black one at 1pm in Malahide today.

Test complete. Carrickmines to Gorey and back.
    Details on another thread about Leaf and Ioniq comparison

• Advertisement

0C this morning at 7:45AM and as you can imagine, the car was cold. Unbelievable performance from the heat pump though. Switched aircon to 23C and auto and it only took about a minute for the car to have warmed up. That's a lot faster than any ICE car I've ever had. Then again it should be, as the heat pump was using almost 5kW :eek:

That's the same as 5 of those cheap electric heaters you can buy in powercity. Just to warm a tiny space like a car!

It is morning number 2 where we both sit down in a warm car. Amazing feeling :] Such a small thing but makes your life so much better :D

I have it set via scheduled task :] Too bad you cannot set to have seat warm too, but that's small thing compared to feeling warm in cabin

Twins!

415661.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,241 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

Is that Tallaght? I just missed you/ye if so, I was down at the square earlier.
    Wouldnt have minded a look around the new ioniq

Yes Tallaght at lunchtime today. Mope and myself :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,927 ✭✭✭Soarer

Yes Tallaght at lunchtime today. Mope and myself :)

Looking at the number plates, I wonder if ye'd have got a few quid off by buying two at the same time?

I couldn't have got another tenner off, I can tell you that much :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,927 ✭✭✭Soarer

Dunno which one of ye it is, but I don't think you'll be needing the AA sticker!

Why did they not paint the bumpers, they're hideous !

I took the sticker off. I think you get some sort of 5 year rescue service deal from Hyundai (with the AA obviously). I'll look into it at some point as the call out times from the AA used to be much better in the Dublin area than if you relied on whatever third party contractor your insurance company use (most comp insurance have rescue service too, so I'm doubly covered)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,553 ✭✭✭Fiery mutant

Got my renewal quote from the AA last week. They're looking for €1140 for the upcoming year.

So I called Zurich to ask about their EV specific policy, they gave me a quote of €518.

No contest!

We should defend our way of life to an extent that any attempt on it is crushed, so that any adversary will never make such an attempt in the future.

Not bad, but I'd ring a few more places. I'm hoping to get in around €350 at renewal.

Soarer wrote: »
    Dunno which one of ye it is, but I don't think you'll be needing the AA sticker!

Why so?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 763 ✭✭✭Bif

Folks. What the boot capacity like in terms of overall size and access? Thanks.

Mediocre. Access is fine as it is a hatchback with a huge hatch door. But the boot space is not deep as the battery is located under there. Also you need to carry Type 2 cable, granny cable and tyre inflate kit. I've removed the plastic under tray in mine and store the lose components under there, they almost fit

That said, I'd say most double buggies will still fit. And of course when you put one side of the rear seat down (or both), there is loads of space. I guess it depends what you plan to use it for. We're a family of 5 with the youngest almost 9 years old, so we don't need buggies etc. so it's fine for us

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,934 ✭✭✭stesaurus

Is there no 'frunk' space available? In the i3 I manage a commando adaptor, tyre inflate kit, granny evse and 10m type 2 cable. I have room for my standard type 2 cable also but prefer that in the boot for ease of access.

Mediocre. Access is fine as it is a hatchback with a huge hatch door. But the boot space is not deep as the battery is located under there. Also you need to carry Type 2 cable, granny cable and tyre inflate kit. I've removed the plastic under tray in mine and store the lose components under there, they almost fit

That said, I'd say most double buggies will still fit. And of course when you put one side of the rear seat down (or both), there is loads of space. I guess it depends what you plan to use it for. We're a family of 5 with the youngest almost 9 years old, so we don't need buggies etc. so it's fine for us

Thanks for that. I was looking for the official cubic capacity of the boot of the Ioniq EV but couldn't find it. Any idea what is it?

Bif wrote: »
    Thanks for that. I was looking for the official cubic capacity of the boot of the Ioniq EV but couldn't find it. Any idea what is it?

Looked it up for you. It's 455l with the seats up and 1410l with the seats down. That's more than I thought!
    stesaurus wrote: »
    Is there no 'frunk' space available? In the i3 I manage a commando adaptor, tyre inflate kit, granny evse and 10m type 2 cable. I have room for my standard type 2 cable also but prefer that in the boot for ease of access.

No frunk in the Ioniq unfortunately. The frunk in the i3 is very handy for those items, so you don't have to have them in the trunk. The frunk can leak though in the i3, so you need a large waterproof bag for your stuff. Seems like you are a seasoned EV owner with your spare extra long type 2 cable on board :cool:

Looked it up for you. It's 455l with the seats up and 1410l with the seats down. That's more than I thought!

No frunk in the Ioniq unfortunately. The frunk in the i3 is very handy for those items, so you don't have to have them in the trunk. The frunk can leak though in the i3, so you need a large waterproof bag for your stuff. Seems like you are a seasoned EV owner with your spare extra long type 2 cable on board :cool:

Cheers. 455l is not too shabby but can depend on its shape etc. etc. Thanks again.

Bif wrote: »
    Folks. What the boot capacity like in terms of overall size and access? Thanks.

Here's the Ioniq boot with Icandy buggy, bulky buggy yes. You can see the buggy board there too sticking up.

It's a better shape than the Leaf, both boots are just as awkward. The Leaf boot is a good bit deeper.

B5C55AF4-6DE4-4D93-B823-876AAE0D26CA.jpg

The type 2 and granny cable cases can go under the floor once you remove the plastic tray. And you seem to have another loose charging cable in there as well? That would have made your picture much neater with some obvious space for shopping or other stuff :D

But indeed, the boot is not huge, I'm surprised about the litre figures, I guess they are measured with stuff loaded all the way up to the roof of the car.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,615 ✭✭✭grogi

The type 2 and granny cable cases can go under the floor once you remove the plastic tray. And you seem to have another loose charging cable in there as well? That would have made your picture much neater with some obvious space for shopping or other stuff :D

But indeed, the boot is not huge, I'm surprised about the litre figures, I guess they are measured with stuff loaded all the way up to the roof of the car.

Nope. The norm is to measure the capacity to the window line.

Yeah the type II cable was loose and the Granny cable was not underneath but it would make access to them a real pain in the ass with a full boot if you did need them. At least the parcel shelf in the Leaf is convenient for putting the cable.

They need to make estate electric cars, but it's easier to claim headline efficiency figures with a smaller car.

I'm guessing you didn't use the parcel shelf in the Ioniq as the double buggy didn't fit under it? And in the Leaf it does?

• Advertisement

That is me driving the car the way I feel like and want to, not thinking about range at all+heater on always on 22 auto. In sport mode 70prcnt of time.
    Average still 14.1 kWh for last 570 km

Yeah mine is similar enough. 100% in sport mode. Occasionally I'd see a stretch of 9kWh/100km if the traffic is particularly bad, but most typical is around 14kWh/100km when I can drive it hard including motorway, usually less than that if there isn't motorway. Once you go over 140km/h those kinda figures are gone though :D

• Registered Users Posts: 304 ✭✭CarefulNow!

So mailed the esb about installing a charger if I get an ev, my situation is I'm waiting to get drive done but would like to get the car before.

they won't install chargepoint until I have a full planning permission approved driveway in place... Disappointed with that. Why would they care if I have a drive way I don't know never mind permissioned one.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,808 ✭✭✭✭Water John

You'll find in most cases of a grant etc, the best rule is work on a 'what they need to know' basis.
    Otherwise you get grief.

Yes plenty of room in the deep boot of the Leaf for a parcel shelf, so I guess it's a bit more practical.

My Partner drives a Cee'd estate and the difference is just amazing, it's not huge but the buggy can at least fit in lengthways and a pile of shopping beside it. The cabin room is better in the Leaf, it's far more spacious.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 369 ✭✭thelikelylad

First experience in colder temps last night on the way back from the Tesla event.

Temperature was 5c leaving Dublin dropping to 3-4c in Laois. Did Stillorgan P&R to the turn off for Midway (~92km) on exactly 50% juice - Did 120km/h on M7 and 100km/h on the M50/N7.

Stopped in Ballacolla FCP then, can't remember what % I had on arrival. Did a 150km run from there to Cork. 130km at 110km/h and the last 20km at 100km/h max. Used ~23kWh (~15.3kWh/100km) in temps of 2c for most of the trip. Temps were 3-4c on arrival in Cork.

Tesla event was pretty good! Got a spin in a P100D - Nice machine - I've been in Model S' before, there definitely has been some improvement in the interior on these. That said the next gen seats weren't great, I'd pick the Ioniq seats :p The all glass roof was pretty cool. I wouldn't fancy the 21" rims on an Irish 'B' road, could feel every bump and crack in the road around the Sandyford industrial estate. Not worth the money but if I had the money I'd buy one straight away :p I was talking to the Tesla rep about the Ioniq, he owns a Zoe :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,295 ✭✭✭n97 mini

So mailed the esb about installing a charger if I get an ev, my situation is I'm waiting to get drive done but would like to get the car before.

they won't install chargepoint until I have a full planning permission approved driveway in place... Disappointed with that. Why would they care if I have a drive way I don't know never mind permissioned one.

You want the CP installed before the driveway is done? You could run the cable yourself. Let them do the rest when the driveway is finished.

Thelikelylad how do u know that you used roughly 23kWh? Trying to understand the report you did here :) Does that mean you had 5kWh left on battery? Roughly 17.8prcnt?

After another session on my private road this morning, I can confirm that the Ioniq is limited to 172km/h indicated (167 km/h real speed). Reached this before at night with aircon and lights on and 5 people on board. Reached it today with aircon and lights off and only myself in the car. Both up the road (mild head wind) and back down straight after (mild tail wind). Car reaches 172km/h quickly but then doesn't go any faster. So the circumstances don't matter, the limiter is clear. The car used an indicated 45% of power or something like that at Vmax today with the head wind.

29km session reaching Vmax about 5 times, average speed about 140km/h and consumption an unbelievable 17kWh/100km!

So 45% of max power at 167km/h means it is using 45% of 88kW, so 39.6kW to drive at Vmax. This means the car would go from full to empty in 28/39.6 = just under 43 minutes. It will have driven 118km. Not a bad range for that speed :)

Or in other words using 24kWh/100km at 167km/h

You are looking at the gauge of power output in front of you when in Sport mode to determine Vmax currently in use?

• Advertisement

The lads in Germany are getting slightly better figures than me. They put the cruise on 180km/h (knowing the car can't reach that) and left it like that for a good while to see indicated speed / real speed / consumption / power use figures and they got 175km/h / 170km/h / 25kWh / 40%

688e5005a010bd68114e1a36c34f7e1d.jpg

Linky

Mope wrote: »
    You are looking at the gauge of power output in front of you when in Sport mode to determine Vmax currently in use?

No that didn't work like that :)

If you put on cruise higher than Vmax you can look at the gauge like in above picture from Germany

I just had my foot down and the gauge shows 100%, which is a bit bogus as the car is not using 100%. I had to gradually ease off the accelerator while making sure the speed kept at Vmax. I went down to about 45% of power, maybe I could have gone further back down a little bit more which would mean my above calculated range would be a bit higher

Mope wrote: »
    Thelikelylad how do u know that you used roughly 23kWh? Trying to understand the report you did here :) Does that mean you had 5kWh left on battery? Roughly 17.8prcnt?

Left Ballacolla with 94% and got to Cork with 12%. So 82% of 28kWh is how I estimated it.

According to the ECO menu the efficiency for the entire 540km round trip the efficiency was 15.6kWh/100km so about 180km per full 28kWh.

Speeds were the same both up and down:
    50-100km/h N40/M8 to J18/M8 (~20km)
    110km/h on the M8 to Ballacolla (~130km)
    120km/h from Ballacolla to Naas (~82km)
    100km/h from N7/M50 to Sandyford (~37km)

As I said before, For me the Ioniq range is about 150km at 'motorway' speeds with a ~20km reserve in the event of FCP/CP issues.

The trip was slightly frustrating due to issues with the charger in Ballacolla on the way up, ecars had to do a hard reset to get it working for me and this was after waiting 30 mins for another car to finish up first so that delayed me by about an hour. I have done Cork - Dublin in about 3hours and 5mins door to door including charging previously so ~4hours plus was annoying.

I also had to wait on the way down for another car to finish which I don't mind but it got me thinking why the hell did ecars put a FCP in Urlingford at a petrol station that closes at 10pm?! They could have put 2 FCPs at Ballacolla which is a far more suitable stop. Also I wish more FCP locations on the motorways had separate AC CPs too as a last resort backup.

Also I wish more FCP locations on the motorways had separate AC CPs too as a last resort backup.

Wish for 2, 4, 8 or 16 chargers per FCP first, before you start wishing for more bloody SCPs :p

Charging at FCP this morning from 9%-94% took about 35 minutes. Must have been the older type as it didn't go over 49kW. Did a quick shop and came back when the car was at 90% with only 3 minutes left. Nobody was waiting, so then I always charge till it kicks me out at 94%

Had to wait for a Leaf charging for a bit under 20 minutes first, which was fine as I was not in any hurry. Man in Leaf asked me why I didn't slow charge while he was charging. Told him I couldn't be bothered. Would have had about 15 minutes, which would have given me the same charge as about 2 minutes on the FCP. And for my trouble I would have had to take out my cable out of the bag, plug it in in 2 places, take it out and store it back in to the bag and back into the car. Madness!

Give us more FCPs! And not the slow 45kW ones, the fast ones!

Wish for 2, 4, 8 or 16 chargers per FCP first, before you start wishing for more bloody SCPs :p

Well of course more FCPs are the ultimate dream! Anyone know how much an Efacec QC45 is?

Crowd funded EV charging network anyone?

I just hope that my trip will not be cancelled due to FCP not working or some similar issues.

And, yes please, if there were a way to crowd fund an FCP in West of Ireland and/or put mor around Dublin I'd sign up.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,285 ✭✭✭cros13

Well of course more FCPs are the ultimate dream! Anyone know how much an Efacec QC45 is?

About €25k and at least as much again for the siteworks/grid connection.

Only €6k for a 24kW efacec QC24s... which you can hang on the wall and feed with a single phase connection.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,480 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

Off topic. But how cool. I never knew that there was a guy in Ireland doing this.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,936 ✭✭✭ewj1978

cros13 wrote: »
    About €25k and at least as much again for the siteworks/grid connection.

Only €6k for a 24kW efacec QC24s... which you can hang on the wall and feed with a single phase connection.

Wait.. can I get that installed at home?

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement