Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Hyundai Ioniq 28kWh

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,927 ✭✭✭Soarer

unkel wrote: »
    You reckon you can get the 30kWh Leaf with 6.6kW (?30.3k plus delivery, metallic) for about ?25k-?26k on the road? That's a big discount alright!

My gut feeling says you're probably right about the discount, but do you have any more on this or is it just your gut feeling too? :)

The €30.8k is including metallic but is plus delivery.
    Then there's the scrappage, which takes the €4k off that.
    So you're starting at €26.8k + delivery before you start any haggling.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 65,750 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

Aye I had a chat with sales guy in Windsor last year and before I was into serious negotiations (I only do that when I'm actually ready to buy the car and pay a deposit, which I wasn't), I had the €21.5k base 24kWh car + €900 for 6.kWh + €550 for metallic + delivery charges down to under €20k (without using scrappage)

If you could pick up any remaining 24kWh now for about €17k, you'd get a good deal. Surely you must be able to get good deals on the 30kWh car too...

Bif wrote: »
    Is there any info on Ioniq Mk2 release date?

MK II Ioniq ? the MK I is only released doubt you'd see a brand new model for several years yet however, Hyundai have said they'll offer more range in 2018. 40 Kwh would be nice, 60 even better, who knows.

Sadly I doubt Irish buyers would be tempted to anything electric until range is north of 300 Kms and that's normal driving range too.

Pay 30 K for a 250 Km car or 30 K for 700 Kms with 3 mins to refill and 5 mins to pay or maybe 10-15 mins tops for a busy petrol station. It's going to take years to change the mindset of people.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,114 ✭✭✭✭listermint

MK II Ioniq ? the MK I is only released doubt you'd see a brand new model for several years yet however, Hyundai have said they'll offer more range in 2018. 40 Kwh would be nice, 60 even better, who knows.

Sadly I doubt Irish buyers would be tempted to anything electric until range is north of 300 Kms and that's normal driving range too.

Pay 30 K for a 250 Km car or 30 K for 700 Kms with 3 mins to refill and 5 mins to pay or maybe 10-15 mins tops for a busy petrol station. It's going to take years to change the mindset of people.

Honestly I think most people have no knowledge of electric cars or the true actual cost to fill it and drive it. So second guessing people who have never seen them or actually been told of the costs per mile isn't fair.

This forum can colour opinions

Yeah from what I've seen it's just the option of a bigger battery. The key question is: what will be the pricing difference between the standard and the bigger battery?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,034 ✭✭✭goz83

Yeah from what I've seen it's just the option of a bigger battery. The key question is: what will be the pricing difference between the standard and the bigger battery?

No. The key question will be the price on a used version of the current model when they start coming up for sale :p

Who knows, depends also if the larger Kwh battery would need active cooling and if all that can fit in the existing chassis. You're talking a couple of K anyway I'm sure.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,523 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

Spotted one today. At about 7:40pm, in lane 2, not long before the toll on the M50.

Who knows, depends also if the larger Kwh battery would need active cooling and if all that can fit in the existing chassis. You're talking a couple of K anyway I'm sure.

€3k on the Leaf to get 6kWh more (from 24 to 30)

Ioniq to get 12kWh more (from 28 to 40), surely at least €4-5k?

• Registered Users Posts: 452 ✭✭Mope

Would you pay 4k for additional 100km of range?

• Advertisement

I wouldn't. And going from 28kWh to 40kWh wouldn't even be an extra 100km of range.

We'll just have to wait and see but more Kwh means less time charging or waiting at public chargers.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,615 ✭✭✭grogi

I wouldn't. And going from 28kWh to 40kWh wouldn't even be an extra 100km of range.

If the battery warranty would be further extended, I would consider it...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,285 ✭✭✭cros13

grogi wrote: »
    If the battery warranty would be further extended, I would consider it...

Well it's an 8 year/200,000km warranty now incl a capacity warranty.
    Kia has a 10 year capacity warranty on the Soul EV but I don't see anyone going beyond that for the moment.

Hyundai has an "lifetime" warranty on the battery in the US but it doesn't cover capacity.

And to put it differently, a 40kWh Ioniq is going to be €30k on the road at least, surely. That's creeping in on Tesla Model 3 territory. Which it shouldn't as the Tesla is a big step up in terms of range / performance / luxury, even the base model

It's going to be crowded in the low to middle segments of EV. Exactly what we need, more competition and better and more diverse offers :cool:

And to put it differently, a 40kWh Ioniq is going to be €30k on the road at least, surely. That's creeping in on Tesla Model 3 territory. Which it shouldn't as the Tesla is a big step up in terms of range / performance / luxury, even the base model

It's going to be crowded in the low to middle segments of EV. Exactly what we need, more competition and better and more diverse offers :cool:

How 40kWh Tesla would be a big step up from 40kWh Ioniq in terms of range?

In the performance department yes, but that's it. Model3 is not coming with autopilot, so not that much to differenciate it in technology department...

Tesla is at least 50kWh and will have a coefficient of drag incredibly low at 0.21. So range, particularly when using motorways at speed will be significantly higher than Ioniq

Both cars apparently have all the hardware in place for fully autonomous driving, but I've no doubt Tesla will get there well before Hyundai. Also not OTA updates for the Ioniq (but you can go into the dealer at any time for an update)

So yeah a difference between €30k and €40k for the cars seems reasonable, although I feel that makes the Tesla better value for money.

Tesla is at least 50kWh and will have a coefficient of drag incredibly low at 0.21. So range, particularly when using motorways at speed will be significantly higher than Ioniq

Model S has Ci of 0.24, but it is rated at ~220Wh/km. Ioniq has Ci of 0.24 and is rated at ~155Wh/km (both by EPA). Clearly the Ci is not everything...

Model S is 2200kg (with driver). Ioniq is 1600kg (with driver), this makes a bit of a difference in efficiency around town :p

See the results of the Model S vs Model X vs Ioniq test from Nyland I posted up here a few pages ago. On the motorway at a constant speed the efficiency difference between the S and Ioniq was tiny.

Here it is again:

At 140km/h I estimate a 50kWh Model 3 will have a range of about 40% more than a 40kWh Ioniq

• Advertisement

I reckon with the tumbling battery prices Hyundai might be able to keep the Ioniq price pretty much the same and drop the price of the 30/28kWh

That would be great progress. Ultimately EVs need to compete with ICE without the €10k subsidy and that's a first step. But is that not inconsistent with what you have been saying about the limitations / shortages of battery production over the next few years?

That would be great progress. Ultimately EVs need to compete with ICE without the ?10k subsidy and that's a first step. But is that not inconsistent with what you have been saying about the limitations / shortages of battery production over the next few years?

I think Hyundai will at least initially beat the rush... and there are two new LG Chem plants coming online in Korea.

They also have a wide choice of local suppliers. They're not in as good a position as Daimler who are building their own factories but not as bad off as say PSA or GM.

So Tesla - laughing. DB - grand. Hyundai / Kia - ok. PSA and GM fooked. How about Nissan / Renault, BMW, Toyota, Honda, etc.?

So Tesla - laughing. DB - grand. Hyundai / Kia - ok. PSA and GM fooked. How about Nissan / Renault, BMW, Toyota, Honda, etc.?

Nissan / Renault are grand due to the AESC factories they built beside the Leaf factories. LG Chem is taking the reins from them and adapting the production lines. Those factories were designed to scale to 1 million 30kWh class EVs per year if necessary (with a few additional lines and buildings here and there).

BMW have contracts with Samsung SDI for supply of enough batteries for 50-60,000 30kWh class EVs annually. The new factory in Hungary will be serving that contract.

Volkswagen has some contracts with both LG Chem and Samsung SDI for small unit counts, but have suddenly realised that's not going to cut it and are rush building a new battery plant to scale to 500k * 30kWh per year. But the site was only just selected and they've barely turned a sod yet.

Toyota, Honda and Fiat are completely screwed.

cros13 wrote: »
    BMW have contracts with Samsung SDI for supply of enough batteries for 50-60,000 30kWh class EVs annually.

That's not going to be anywhere near enough in a year or two when Tesla is going to spit out 10 times as many cars with twice the battery capacity

Who the hell is still planning on using 30kWh batteries for future cars???

• Advertisement

That's not going to be anywhere near enough in a year or two when Tesla is going to spit out 10 times as many cars with twice the battery capacity

Yup.
    Who the hell is still planning on using 30kWh batteries for future cars???

Nobody now... but that's how they sized the plants. They'll probably try to stretch the supply with tiny-battery PHEVs.

Nobody here can accuse BMW of having vision with those figures :p

Cros, your knowledge on this stuff is incredible.

I'm not even gonna pretend I understand half of it, but the forum is definitely better for it.

Fair play.

Soarer wrote: »
    Cros, your knowledge on this stuff is incredible.

I'm not even gonna pretend I understand half of it, but the forum is definitely better for it.

Fair play.

Exactly my words ;D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,460 ✭✭✭Evd-Burner

Now if I could only afford a new ioniq. Never mind the tesla model 3 ðŸ˜.

As soon as I have a mortgage it's new car time!

• Advertisement

Evd-Burner wrote: »
    Now if I could only afford a new ioniq. Never mind the tesla model 3 ?.

As soon as I have a mortgage it's new car time!

Shur why don't you go all Celtic Tiger on it and get the car on the mortgage?! ;)

Soarer wrote:

This worked out the cheapest. As you can see, it pays to shop around. I'd imagine I can do a lot better next year once penalty points drop off (and of course, if I dropped protected no claims bonus, that would represent a further saving - but I couldn't do without it).

Soarer wrote:
    Shur why don't you go all Celtic Tiger on it and get the car on the mortgage?!

I would totally have a model s on order and a mansion 5 minutes from work by now if it weren't for the central bank rules :)

In all fairness I'm to much of a penny pincher to ever spend that much on a car.

Stupid app always does that with my quotes.

Stupid app always does that with my quotes.
    Is there an app for Boards? I tought Tapatalk is not compatible with Boards?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,958 ✭✭✭✭Shefwedfan

Mope wrote: »
    Is there an app for Boards? I tought Tapatalk is not compatible with Boards?

App on something called Android

They haven't done anything proper yet so not available on Apple

Dont think there is an app for Android too? I just use Boards.ie via Chrome on Android. Works OK, but could be better

Mope I replied here ages ago but it didn't work. Think I'm not allowed post links?

Just search boards.ie on the play store and you'll find it.

• Registered Users Posts: 649 ✭✭✭Moreilly

Had the ionic on a short test drive last week and ended up taking it on a 24 hour test again last tuesday to get a good feel of the car, it's a great little machine, lovely to drive and will hopefully be getting one in the next few months all going well as my 05 petrol car's best days are behind it !
    New to ev so i decided to try and see what the charging process was like so stopped off at the Tesco fast charger in Naas, both parking spots were taken at first but then the one came free and i parked up only to find the charging cable from the charge point is too short and i can only reach the 'fuel cap' if parked in the other space, was a bit surprised that the cable is not longer, and also found it odd that if two cars turn up that use the same socket ccs what happens? - there only seems to be one cable, why not two or am i missing something or doing something wrong ?

Great little car though , there was on in black charging up at the time i was there, looked very well :)

Moreilly wrote:
    there only seems to be one cable, why not two or am i missing something or doing something wrong ?

Only one ccs can charge at a time unfortunately.
    There's not a lot of infrastructure at the moment for public charging. This wouldn't normally be a problem if you bought as you would likely have a charger at home and wouldn't need to rely on the public charging infrastructure.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,295 ✭✭✭n97 mini

Moreilly wrote: »
    i parked up only to find the charging cable from the charge point is too short and i can only reach the 'fuel cap' if parked in the other space,
    It's a problem with the Ioniq. At triple standard FCPs the Ioniq can usually only charge from the space on the left (as you look at it).

• Advertisement

Only one ccs can charge at a time unfortunately.
    There's not a lot of infrastructure at the moment for public charging. This wouldn't normally be a problem if you bought as you would likely have a charger at home and wouldn't need to rely on the public charging infrastructure.

A quick question on the home charger, Hope to be getting the car in July all going well and i see that a home charger is included with the SEAI grant for the first 2000 people, how do i know if i will be in the first 2000 ?

AFAIK and from what I've heard they seem to be have fulfilled 1800 out of the 2000. With sales averaging about 40 to 50 a month. So you should just about get in. But there's no guarantees, you'll have to contact the dealer and make sure they get the ball rolling asap

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,018 ✭✭✭man_no_plan

AFAIK and from what I've heard they seem to be have fulfilled 1800 out of the 2000. With sales averaging about 40 to 50 a month. So you should just about get in. But there's no guarantees, you'll have to contact the dealer and make sure they get the ball rolling asap

I was having a look yesterday at the Ioniq, I was in a hurry si didn't get a spin in it. Guy reckons January for a new one! And I was thinking maybe a172.

Been lurking here for a long time, great forum, top source of info.

I was having a look yesterday at the Ioniq, I was in a hurry si didn't get a spin in it. Guy reckons January for a new one! And I was thinking maybe a172.

You'd be best off waiting to hear what the new leaf will be if the wait is until January.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,018 ✭✭✭man_no_plan

You'd be best off waiting to hear what the new leaf will be if the wait is until January.

That's what I was thinking. The car I have I costing a bit in tax and annual NCT but i have no monthly repayment on her! So no panic on it.

40kw/h, still Chademo, and will be on sale in Feb, according to the man from Nissan I was recently talking to. Says a 60kw/h will follow towards the end of the year, though I'll believe it when I see it.

Ioniq with a bigger battery could be out by then too.

n97 mini wrote:
    40kw/h, still Chademo, and will be on sale in Feb, according to the man from Nissan I was recently talking to. Says a 60kw/h will follow towards the end of the year, though I'll believe it when I see it.

n97 mini wrote:
    Ioniq with a bigger battery could be out by then too.

I reckon it will be the end of 2018 before a larger battery ioniq is out. They would have a lot of customers who recently bought very unhappy if they brought it out to fast.

A 40kwh leaf with better efficiency would make a big difference to the range! I'd be surprised if they went with just chademo!

• Registered Users Posts: 227 ✭✭woppers

There was a hold up with the car chargers being installed at my workplace but they're installed and working now so I'll be picking up a black all electric Ioniq tomorrow evening at around 5pm for a 7 day test drive.

I'll post my experience with it every day if I have time to do so for anyone who is interested.

My commute is 250kms a day. Should be an interesting week :)

A 40kwh leaf with better efficiency would make a big difference to the range! I'd be surprised if they went with just chademo!

I asked, what with the leanings towards CCS in Europe and all. Chap was adamant no CCS, still Chademo. Things could change, or he could be wrong.

• Advertisement

woppers wrote: »
    There was a hold up with the car chargers being installed at my workplace but they're installed and working now so I'll be picking up a black all electric Ioniq tomorrow evening at around 5pm for a 7 day test drive.

I'll post my experience with it every day if I have time to do so for anyone who is interested.

My commute is 250kms a day. Should be an interesting week :)

look forward to it :)

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement