Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Hyundai Ioniq 28kWh

Comments

woppers wrote: »

I'll post my experience with it every day if I have time to do so for anyone who is interested.

Just remember if you start a new thread it might get buried here in this thread along with mine, so be careful before you go to any effort.
    My commute is 250kms a day. Should be an interesting week

Sh1t, I thought my commute was bad at 141 Kms, well it is when working shift but 250, Jaysus man ! I feel for ye !

With work charging it shouldn't be a problem , just remember this time of the year you'll get more range than in winter.

I reckon you'd be best to set the cruise to no more than 110 Kph for one way, try that first and adjust if necessary.

You'll love it and won't want to give it back and you'll especially love how much money you won't be spending on fuel but at that mileage depreciation will be a killer.

With your mileage I would hold off and see what happens and what's available in 2018. You'll most likely be waiting a while for an Ioniq anyway.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,034 ✭✭✭goz83

Evd-Burner wrote: »
    I reckon it will be the end of 2018 before a larger battery ioniq is out. They would have a lot of customers who recently bought very unhappy if they brought it out to fast.

A 40kwh leaf with better efficiency would make a big difference to the range! I'd be surprised if they went with just chademo!

There was talk about the higher capacity battery even before the Ioniq went on sale. I was told by Hyundai rep at the start of the year that the bigger battery could be as soon as the end of this year. I expect it will be in Q2 2018 though, as was more recently reported. If people weren't aware of a bigger battery being planned for release, they ought to have suspected as much.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 65,750 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

My commute is 250kms a day. Should be an interesting week :)

That's a massive commute and you are a brave man going for it without work charging. If you drive gently and don't go over 90 km/h it is quite likely you will make it. Don't take my word for it though ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,114 ✭✭✭✭listermint

I thought he said his work is installing chargers....

There was a hold up with the car chargers being installed at my workplace but they're installed and working now

unkel wrote: »
    That's a massive commute and you are a brave man going for it without work charging. If you drive gently and don't go over 90 km/h it is quite likely you will make it. Don't take my word for it though ;)
    listermint wrote: »
    I thought he said his work is installing chargers....

No, actually installed !

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,285 ✭✭✭cros13

Make sure to grab an ESB ecars card off the dealer.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 369 ✭✭thelikelylad

This past week I've really seen the benefit of warmer temperatures on efficiency.

I did a round trip from Cork city to Skibbereen yesterday - 166.3km using 65% juice. Pretty normal driving - hitting 100km/h where possible on N71, some overtaking, Only used regen to brake or slow down mostly drove with regen 0, oh and the return leg was with 3 adults in the car.

Cork (100%) -> Skibbereen (71%) -> Cork (35%)
    Distance: 166.3km
    Average Speed: 68km/h
    Time: 02:37h
    Efficiency: 11.5kWh/100km
    Temperature: 16C-13C

So implied max range of ~250km relatively easy without compromise. I definitely could have drove more efficiently too.

I'm not as skeptical about the 280km NEDC figure as I was originally - at least not in summer temps at sub-urban / N road speeds anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 452 ✭✭Mope

cros13 wrote: »
    Make sure to grab an ESB ecars card off the dealer.

You don't really need it that much.
    You have so many alternatives... Your Bank Card, Your Leap Card, Your Phone (Android Pay/Apple Pay) and probably many more.

I just use my own phone with NFC enabled and Android Pay on it to kick in CP (when and if I use one). Works every time.

Mope wrote: »
    You have so many alternatives... Your Bank Card, Your Leap Card, Your Phone (Android Pay/Apple Pay) and probably many more.

I just use my own phone with NFC enabled and Android Pay on it to kick in CP (when and if I use one). Works every time.

I heard that some CPs now with updated firmware will only accept the ecars RFID so I only use the ecars card.

I would have one in the car just in case this is true.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,702 ✭✭✭✭BoatMad

Very few fcp left with local authorisation. Virtually all now verify remotely , so your bank card etc will not work

I've not come across a recent fcp where a non ecars card works

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,285 ✭✭✭cros13

I'm not as skeptical about the 280km NEDC figure as I was originally - at least not in summer temps at sub-urban / N road speeds anyway.

The range should peak around 22C ambient temp... if we see that this summer.

Interesting... I last used FCP only last weekend in Ballinasloe and Galway, so my data is most likely not accurate.

Interesting... I last used FCP only last weekend in Ballinasloe and Galway, so my data is most likely not accurate.

I'll ask eCars technical people to comment

cros13 wrote: »
    The range should peak around 22C ambient temp... if we see that this summer.

CAnt see nedc figures being remotely achievable , the test is carried out at very low speeds ( in general ). EPA range estimates are much more reliable , this puts the Ioniq at 205 km

BoatMad wrote: »
    CAnt see nedc figures being remotely achievable , the test is carried out at very low speeds ( in general ). EPA range estimates are much more reliable , this puts the Ioniq at 205 km

I would second that. This range (280) is only achievable if you are mainly in city doing 40-70km/h and not accelerating like maniac. I have no doubt that it is possible to get this out of the car without trying very hard but ONLY if it's in town, traffic scenario and etc. Which is great in my opinion, but not something I am using car for

I would second that. This range (280) is only achievable if you are mainly in city doing 40-70km/h and not accelerating like maniac. I have no doubt that it is possible to get this out of the car without trying very hard but ONLY if it's in town, traffic scenario and etc. Which is great in my opinion, but not something I am using car for

I dunno, I find I can get better efficiency outside of the city on N, sub-urban and rural roads. In my experience with city driving, stop/start traffic, traffic lights etc. I don't see amazing efficiency, I can get good efficiency in the city but not amazing. That could be due to occasional traffic light drag races though :pac:

On my trip yesterday I did a good chunk at 100km/h on the N71 but normal traffic then in places pushed my average speed down and then 60-50km/h through villages and towns pushed it down further. I actually averaged 11.1-11.3kWh/100km for most of it pretty easily. Some Sports Mode acceleration in places pushed it up to 11.5kWh in the end.

I agree with you in terms of speed though, you definitely won't be getting 280km with an average speed of +70km/h, most likely 40-65km/h if even.

One thing that I notice more now since I got an EV is that even if you're doing a long journey on an N road with 100km/h limit you might only average 40-70km/h overall anyway due to traffic and towns without bypasses. :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,460 ✭✭✭Evd-Burner

BoatMad wrote:
    I've not come across a recent fcp where a non ecars card works

I've not used my ecars one for a long time and I haven't had any issues kicking off the charge with my bank card.

I've not used my ecars one for a long time and I haven't had any issues kicking off the charge with my bank card.

When was the last time you activated via a bank card

Not trying to come across as a nark or anything but is it really that hard to use the ecars card?

I wonder if it's of advantage to ecars that people use the actual card that is registered to them. Perhaps ecars could analyze the charge data better then. ie. track user charges, trends, common journeys, the car etc.

I guess there's probably some unique vehicle identifier passed between the charger and the car during the connection process anyway but still.

Not trying to come across as a nark or anything but is it really that hard to use the ecars card?

I wonder if it's of advantage to ecars that people use the actual card that is registered to them. Perhaps ecars could analyze the charge data better then. ie. track user charges, trends, common journeys, the car etc.

I guess there's probably some unique vehicle identifier passed between the charger and the car during the connection process anyway but still.

You actually right, most likely it is better for everyone if people do use ecars cards. I just find pulling my phone from holder or my pocket much easier than card... But now I have my ecars card on sunwisor so it's easily accessible.

• Advertisement

You actually right, most likely it is better for everyone if people do use ecars cards. I just find pulling my phone from holder or my pocket much easier than card... But now I have my ecars card on sunwisor so it's easily accessible.

Of course there are the idiots that stop the charge cycle by hitting the e-stop --grrrrrrrr

• Registered Users Posts: 304 ✭✭CarefulNow!

Lads where can I organise 24h + test drive? I'm in north Dublin

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,595 ✭✭✭✭Calahonda52

Lads where can I organise 24h + test drive? I'm in north Dublin
    http://www.mbmotors.ie/web/Contact/
    Airside swords

“I can’t pay my staff or mortgage with instagram likes”.

• Registered Users Posts: 227 ✭✭woppers

This thread is unbelievably active. By the time I get a chance to reply the there are loads of posts between my posts.

I picked up the car anyhow. Pretty impressed with it already. I may have went a bit crazy with sport mode though.

When I picked it up it was full and it said 201km on the clock but by the time I drove 4km it said 190km. Oops!

There's a serious bit of acceleration in it and the regenerative braking is cool. After one 4km I can see myself getting addicted to using the regen as much as possible.

Edit: I forgot to mention that there is an esb card with the car.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,033 ✭✭✭who_ru

There should be the option to have the front plastic cover of the car colour coded instead of having a drab grey colour only.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,460 ✭✭✭Evd-Burner

BoatMad wrote:
    When was the last time you activated via a bank card

Early Thursday morning in Turvey (donabate, Dublin).

I use bank card as it pulls out of the wallet easier :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,568 ✭✭✭ethernet

My other half contacted them to test drive the Ioniq a few weeks ago using the form and didn't hear anything back. I know there's a backlog on orders but at least entertain potential buyers! Maybe phone instead.

BoatMad wrote: »
    Of course there are the idiots that stop the charge cycle by hitting the e-stop --grrrrrrrr

Emmm, was this really a reply to my post? :rolleyes:

My apologies for still not managing to get the data out for you guys (if there is interest). I might have it ready tomorrow before noon.

Here are few from the trip...
    The only FCP where I could see above 60kW is Portlaoise FCP - it actually gave me 66kW! ;] and this is where we met another IONIQ (me and one of my sons in pic). My son loves to help me charge the car whenever possible :cool:

and other one is from cottage we staid in. Charging using Granny cable.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,346 ✭✭✭✭jimmycrackcorm

My apologies for still not managing to get the data out for you guys (if there is interest). I might have it ready tomorrow before noon.

The only FCP where I could see above 60kW is Portlaoise FCP - it actually gave me 66kW! ;] and this is where we met another IONIQ (me and one of my sons in pic). My son loves to help me charge the car whenever possible :cool:

Car looks gorgeous. People look happy.

German owner back in March. 295km (national roads and town driving, not motorways). Normal driving, no "hypermiling" techniques / pulse & glide or other nonsense.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,615 ✭✭✭grogi

German owner back in March. 295km (national roads and town driving, not motorways). Normal driving, no "hypermiling" techniques / pulse & glide or other nonsense.

Pulse and glide is not nonsense... It is the most efficient driving technique, and in EV you get it by... disabling automatic regen.

Nevertheless, with similar driving, the Leaf would probably get close to 250km. In Germany it is not uncommon to get nice weather in March - and if I am seeing it correct, it was 23*C - optimal temperature...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,241 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

I think (from my limited experience interacting with Ioniq owners at FCP) that the only units which will supply more than 50kW are the tripleheaded Efacec units which can supply up to ~70kW, local supply allowing. The Naas FCP being another example confirmed - see the photo on plugshare

grogi wrote: »
    Pulse and glide is not nonsense... It is the most efficient driving technique, and in EV you get it by... disabling automatic regen.

Nevertheless, with similar driving, the Leaf would probably get close to 250km. In Germany it is not uncommon to get nice weather in March - and if I am seeing it correct, it was 23*C - optimal temperature...

Yup nothing wrong with your German, it was between 12C and 23C :)

I know pulse and glide is efficient. But my point is that the driver in the clip just drives normally (in normal mode, not ECO mode) without using any hypermiling techniques, and still he gets 295km

And for the record, I feel pulse & glide is an anti-social habit (because it is selfish) that should not be used on the public roads. I'd go to far as to say it is annoying at best to other road users, some would say it is dangerous.

I second that, to me pulse and glide is nonsense which should not be used on public roads. I could never do it myself and would hate a fella in front of me slowing down and accelerating again and again.

@unkel and other IONIQ users: Do you ever hear grinding noise from rear of the car when turning more sharply soon after moving from the spot? I believe this sound is coming from Hill Hold not releasing it fully or quick enough. When I start driving and there is a turn of 45 or more degrees I hear grinding sound (from what I noticed happens only if there was incline). Sometimes less, sometimes more. I reckon it's that. Any other noticing that? Could it be the so called "recall for brakes"?

Also, when I spoke to the lad at Portlaoise FCP (black IONIQ user) he said there is a known recall/issue with radio unit/infotainment, something to do with Bluetooth. Any one heard about this?

and now to good bit: he is actually creating cross platform app (android/iOS and potential Windows even) for IONIQ similar to Leaf's. His name is Darren and he works for Paddy power in Dublin if i'm not mistaken. I've seen him on Facebook group of IEVO (not Association one)

• Advertisement

I haven't really used hill hold, so couldn't tell you. And I wouldn't recommend driving off at a 45 degree turn accelerating hard. The torque steer would be terrible. The Ioniq is after all a FWD car made in the far east. It ain't no BMW :p

Haven't heard about any Bluetooth issue. Only recall I am aware of was with the brakes in earlier cars manufactured up to about February 2017 (does not apply to our cars)

@unkel and other IONIQ users: Do you ever hear grinding noise from rear of the car when turning more sharply soon after moving from the spot? I believe this sound is coming from Hill Hold not releasing it fully or quick enough. When I start driving and there is a turn of 45 or more degrees I hear grinding sound (from what I noticed happens only if there was incline). Sometimes less, sometimes more. I reckon it's that. Any other noticing that? Could it be the so called "recall for brakes"?

Yep, it's a known issue afaik and I don't think it's related to the original brake recall. I get it in the morning sometimes when turning within the first 250-500m, it goes away again and I don't normally hear it for the rest of the day. Some people have likened it to a 'Seal' noise :)

I'm not sure if there is a confirmed fix yet. I know another Ioniq owner who took his to the dealer to get it fixed. They 'fixed' it but now about 2 months later he's starting to hear it again.

Mope, how do you find the brake performance in yours with regen off?

unkel, sorry, when I said sharp turn I meant degree wise, not that I'd floor it :] thelikelylad described it better, this is exactly what I feel/hear. Once a day, sometimes twice.

unkel, you are using Hill hold :-) It is automatic, you want it or not. I am not referring to "Auto Hold" here :)

I actually have mixed feelings about brakes performance. When I was doing Ring of Kerry and in general that longer trip - they were perfect, you touch it, they work, same in some more extreme braking situations. However, sometimes I am not happy with how car slows down. Hard to explain but sometimes it feels there is a delay or regen braking is having difficulties negotiating how much to brake with pads, how much with "engine". Car does not slow down SAME way each time when you press brake.

I remember when I test drove one, I had 2 moments when I thought I won't stop and rear-end someone, that much brakes were different to my Subaru (and Subaru brakes are known to be very linear, not jumpy like all (or most) cars, where you press it 1mm and car applies 50-70% of brake force. Now I do not have that sensation anymore, maybe brakes need "break in time" or I just got used to it? I think it's "break-in".

Brake performance is barely adequate in my view. It's a heavy car and should have better brakes. That said, I'm coming from a long line of much higher-end cars where brake performance was obviously better. Perhaps the brake performance of the Ioniq is normal for the class / price range of the car.

unkel, you are using Hill hold :-) It is automatic, you want it or not. I am not referring to "Auto Hold" here :)

Ah ok! Haven't noticed anything wrong then

And BTW you can't rear end anyone in the Ioniq, or so they say ;)

My setting is the default one (not aggressive and not slow) and it's beeped at me a few times when I drive a bit aggressively (and brake late)

It's only started to apply the brakes before I did, just the once...

• Advertisement

I had that sensation too! :D It actually applied brakes even I was applying.
    I have it set to Early, just so my wife is not speeding too much :-]]] I like how intelligent the system is and warns you well ahead of potential collision.

I remember when I test drove one, I had 2 moments when I thought I won't stop and rear-end someone, that much brakes were different to my Subaru (and Subaru brakes are known to be very linear, not jumpy like all (or most) cars, where you press it 1mm and car applies 50-70% of brake force. Now I do not have that sensation anymore, maybe brakes need "break in time" or I just got used to it? I think it's "break-in".

:D Same thing happened me on the test drive.
    Brake performance is barely adequate in my view. It's a heavy car and should have better brakes. That said, I'm coming from a long line of much higher-end cars where brake performance was obviously better. Perhaps the brake performance of the Ioniq is normal for the class / price range of the car.

Yeah they seem to be quite poor. The brake effort with regen off is dangerous in my opinion. My old Civic had better brakes (I actually thought they weren't the best either at the time). An old Corolla we have even has better brakes than the Ioniq.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,638 ✭✭✭zilog_jones

It sounds a bit like the brakes in the Prius, where there's a disparity in the brake pedal sensitivity and feedback with regen vs. friction braking. It's particularly noticeable when the traction control goes crazy, which seems very sensitive (e.g. braking with one wheel on painted lines will set it off) and disables regen immediately. Not sure how the Ioniq is in that respect. I've got used to it, but it could be better...

Traction control on Ioniq is fine, but it goes crazy when the road is a bit wet :(

I guess all that pocket rocket torque has to go somewhere :D

I still think torque is limited when you go off the line. It feels like something is holding the car and not letting it use all of it. (even in Sport mode)

It sounds a bit like the brakes in the Prius, where there's a disparity in the brake pedal sensitivity and feedback with regen vs. friction braking. It's particularly noticeable when the traction control goes crazy, which seems very sensitive (e.g. braking with one wheel on painted lines will set it off) and disables regen immediately. Not sure how the Ioniq is in that respect. I've got used to it, but it could be better...

Hmm possibly, I'll keep an eye on it. I guess I have been getting used to it the more I drive it alright.

I'm waiting until around the 5,000km mark to go back to the dealer with any niggles. Have done 4,000km so far so I guess I'll be popping into the dealer soon enough. Niggles so far:

1: As mentioned by Mope - Occasional 'Seal' noise after car has been parked up with handbrake engaged for a while. Usually hear it in the mornings while turning/braking within the first 500 metres.
    2: Charge cable locking mechanism - a few occasions I have had to use the manual cable release under the boot floor to release the cable.
    3: Some issues with CCS charging - Although I believe these are caused by older firmware on some of the FCPs. Maybe the dealer can run some 'diagnostics' to double check there are no issues onboard.
    4: Poor brake effort, will get the dealer give them a look anyway.
    5: On rough roads I've noticed a very slight 'rattle' if you could even call it that from the glove box area. Seems to be the trim of the glove box maybe rubbing with the dash trim.
    6: With the radio off and at low speeds I can hear the spring ever so slightly when pressing the accelerator.

Might be being a little pedantic on the last 2 but whatever :P

Just hit 2k km myself after a month of owning it. No long trips done at all, and still doing about twice the mileage I used to do. But I guess that's the novelty factor and the fact the variable costs of owning an EV are very close to zero :)

I am nearly at 4k now (owning car a month short of 2 days). Did 3 days long trip.

From the list you mentioned there, thelikelylad, I only have No. 1 and BT with Android Auto (which seems to be resolved by using different USB cable)

Loving the car to bits otherwise. Really nice car. Enjoyed driving it on back roads a lot! Did not have hairy moments due to handling and etc.

Just hit 2k km myself after a month of owning it. No long trips done at all, and still doing about twice the mileage I used to do. But I guess that's the novelty factor and the fact the variable costs of owning an EV are very close to zero :)

Yeah same, I'm already easily doing twice the mileage I normally would have done before EV life.

I've done Cork - Dublin 3 times and around 3x200km roundtrips down to west Cork. I find myself doing lots of 'pointless' journeys in the evenings too just cause I want to drive the car, absolutely love it :D

Looking into maybe doing a holiday to France/Belgium and maybe Holland too (just to try Fastned :P) over the summer, just cause. :pac:

4,000km in about 6 weeks and I've loosely estimated it to add only about €20-30 extra to the electricity bill :eek: Haven't even looked into getting a night meter in yet.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,138 ✭✭✭✭KCross

Some Leaf's also have an issue with the brakes when reversing initially in the morning where they are somewhat stuck and then they release and its fine for the rest of the day. I guess an EV is more likely to have stiff callipers due to lack of use.

And they also suffer from different brake feeling when the traction control/ABS kicks in. Its actually quite disconcerting.... you could be breaking to come to a stop and regen is at max and if you hit a bump which activate the ABS it causes the regen to completely disengage leaving you with just physical force to stop the car and it feels like the car is lurching forward and you have to put extra pressure on the pedal to compensate for the regen disengaging. Maybe the Ioniq has the same system in place?..... i.e. ABS activated causes regen to disengage.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement