Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Hyundai Ioniq 28kWh

Comments

grogi wrote: »
    It works in an Hybrid because by gliding the car can switch the ICE off and eliminating the pumping loses. Short pulse with optimal efficency and off, very efficient.

Not applicable to an EV at all. In an EV the only strategy is to avoid transforming energy as much as possibile (because that always introduces loses) - thus don't do regen if you don't need to.

Which means driving in Neutral, i.e, coasting and then using power hence the name pulse and glide......

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,927 ✭✭✭Soarer

Lads, the amount of threads that are going off topic is staggering.

Can ye not start a "Driving Techniques" thread, and leave this to the Ioniq?

Same with the 2018 Leaf thread. That's turned into a charging thread.
    And the Tesla Model 3 thread, that's now an innovation discussion.

The problem on boards is that threads run far too long and should be closed after a certain point, this thread has well passed that point.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,034 ✭✭✭goz83

Soarer wrote: »
    Lads, the amount of threads that are going off topic is staggering.

Can ye not start a "Driving Techniques" thread, and leave this to the Ioniq?

Same with the 2018 Leaf thread. That's turned into a charging thread.
    And the Tesla Model 3 thread, that's now an innovation discussion.

Is the model 3 thread not about the iPhone 7? :D

167 pages, come on .....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,808 ✭✭✭✭Water John

I like the side roads, more scenery. Unless there cul de sacs.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,114 ✭✭✭✭listermint

The thread only closes mads when you get the last word :)

• Registered Users Posts: 227 ✭✭woppers

unkel wrote: »
    Barely adequate. No need for the :rolleyes:, I'm just used to (older) cars a few levels up, with superior performance / brakes. For me the Ioniq is a step down in many ways. Not complaining, very happy with the car, knew what I was getting. Just some things are a bit better and some things a bit worse than I was expecting.

I agree with you on this. I have had the car since Monday night (for anyone reading this at a later date, it's Wednesday night as I write this).

I'm coming from an Audi A4 2.0 TDi 140bhp and I absolutely love the Audi. The brakes are incredible on it. The Ioniq cannot compare with the Audi in many ways. i.e. build quality, comfort, power, brakes, sound system (from a speaker point of view), etc but with all that said, I really do love the Ionig. It's like comparing apples with oranges so it's an invalid comparison really.

But the Audi costs me around €800 a month to commute to Dublin daily. The Ioniq will only cost me around €420 a month in repayments + practically zero servicing costs.

It's a great car. It hasn't been an entirely smooth experience either but I still love it. I'm putting the bad experiences I've had down to my stupidity.

3 days gone out of a 7 day test drive:

Day 1:
    I picked up the Ioniq from the dealer late on Monday night and it was fully charged. I did a quick 4km spin in it and was quite impressed after only 4km.

Day 2:
    First day commuting from Wexford to Dublin.
    121km used 66% battery - 15.0kWh/100km.

Fully charged in work and then Dublin to Wexford.
    121km used 53% battery. Then I did 16km extra driving later that evening and got 13.6kWh/100km.

All in all a pretty positive experience. I had 47% of battery left in the car. I plugged in the car with the granny cable, I ran an extension lead out to the car, and tried to set the timer to pre-heat the car in the morning. The car was charging when I went to bed.

Day 3 (today):
    I had a bit of a mare this morning. Got in the car to drive to Dublin, assumed the car was fully charged but it wasn't. It wasn't pre-heated either. The car was only on 53%. Disaster. My range was only 108km. I needed to do 121km.

There is a fast charger in Coyne's Cross service station 87km away. I drove 80kph to the M11 and the range estimation was pretty accurate. When I hit the motorway I tried 120kph for 1km and burned up 3km of range so I decided I wouldn't make the destination at 120kph so I dropped down to 100kph.

I made it wit 10% battery left and 14km of range. I charged for 12 minutes and got back on the road. This little stop off cost me a lot of time. It turned my 1hr 20min commute into 3hrs. The traffic was mental.

I normally leave early to avoid the traffic but because of this stop off I got caught right in the middle to the bad morning traffic.

Charged in work, drove home. I had to do some extra driving and only got home at 9:20pm. I did a total of 175km with 16% left in battery which is around 30km range. So when I plugged it in with the granny cable it told me it was going to be 12hrs and 10mins to full charge.

The maximum I would have been able to charge the car for was 8.5 because I have to be on the road at 5:50am to beat the Dublin traffic.

So the car was at 16%. I need at least 66% charge in the battery to get to work. By my calculation, and I may be wrong here but, if I have 84% to fill and it's going to take 12h 10mins. The max I could charge for was 8h 30mins. That equals 58.6% + the original 16% = 74% by 5:50am.

I would have been pretty stressed out over the range with just this amount of charge. So I am now sitting outside the dealership plugged into a 7kw charger. There are no fast chargers near me. I'm at 41% now and hopefully will have enough range for the morning.

Tomorrow I will be plugging in asap when I get home to avoid this nonsense.

Both of these problems are my own doing as I didn't realise how long the granny cable took to charge and I must have messed something up when I was charging the night before.

The missus likes the car but thinks it's an awful pain in the ass after these 2 bad experience. She doesn't think it's a good idea to buy the Ioniq. I'm more patient than my wife so I'm not turned off by these 2 charging issues. If I buy one I'll have a 7kw charger at home so charging shouldn't be a problem again.

I'd still like a longer range. Just so I could do my daily commute on a single charge but I don't think it's a deal breaker. By buying this car, I should save around 4-5k a year on my commuting costs.

Anyhow, that's how it's going so far. It hasn't been plain sailing but I'm still thinking positively about the car. If I get a chance I'll post the rest of my experience as it happens.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,927 ✭✭✭Soarer

Think the granny cable is your problem.

Get a 32A charger out in at home, and your issues will disappear.

Well wear with the car.

Soarer wrote: »
    Think the granny cable is your problem.

Get a 32A charger out in at home, and your issues will disappear.

Well wear with the car.

I only have it out on a test drive so a 32amp charger isn't an option for the week unfortunately

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,505 ✭✭✭macnab

At 16% battery level in the Ioniq you have about 4.5kw. Which means to get to 100% battery level you need 23.5kw more. Presuming the granny charger is a 10A unit, you will charge at a rate of 2.4kw per hour. So it would have taken 10 hours to charge from 16% to 100%.
    It would have taken 5 hours 50 minutes to charge from 16% to 66%, and by 5:50am you would have 88% if you plugged in at 9:20pm with 16% battery level.
    The extra 2+ hours in the computers estimation is for battery conditioning, cell balancing etc.

macnab wrote: »
    At 16% battery level in the Ioniq you have about 4.5kw. Which means to get to 100% battery level you need 23.5kw more. Presuming the granny charger is a 10A unit, you will charge at a rate of 2.4kw per hour. So it would have taken 10 hours to charge from 16% to 100%.
    It would have taken 5 hours 50 minutes to charge from 16% to 66%, and by 5:50am you would have 88% if you plugged in at 9:20pm with 16% battery level.
    The extra 2+ hours in the computers estimation is for battery conditioning, cell balancing etc.

Thanks Macnab! I wasn't calculating it properly. Your calculations are spot on.

Turns out that I got it to 40% at the 7kw charger. I got home at 11:30 pm and charged it until 5:50am. The battery was at 92% when I unplugged it this morning.

I got to Dublin with 25% to spare. I was using the climate control the whole way up.

As Soarer said, all this nonsense wobbly be avoided if I install a 7kw charger at my home.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 65,750 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

Dublin to Wexford commute (mostly motorway) 121km using 53% battery is very impressive for so much motorway in what I can imagine would be a busy enough route particularly between Dublin and Wicklow. It implies a 230km range. I take it you didn't really go over 100km/h? No cruise control? Aircon?

Dublin to Wexford commute (mostly motorway) 121km using 53% battery is very impressive for so much motorway in what I can imagine would be a busy enough route particularly between Dublin and Wicklow. It implies a 230km range. I take it you didn't really go over 100km/h? No cruise control? Aircon?

From the Sandyford junction down to Junction 22 at Gorey I did 120km real world speed where I wasn't obstructed by other cars using using adaptive cruise control.

From Gorey to Wexford on the R741 (around 40km) I set the ACC to 80km real world speed while going up to 100km occasionally.

I also used aircon on and off when needed. I have it for another few days. I'll do it today with climate control on, dipped headlights on and ACC all the way to see how I go.

Yes, I was also quite impressed with that range.

Wexford to Dublin seems to be a more energy consuming drive. I wonder if it's elevation related? Or the fact that the is more traffic on the road in the evening to prevent me from doing 120km unobstructed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,480 ✭✭✭thierry14

woppers wrote: »
    I agree with you on this. I have had the car since Monday night (for anyone reading this at a later date, it's Wednesday night as I write this).

I'm coming from an Audi A4 2.0 TDi 140bhp and I absolutely love the Audi. The brakes are incredible on it. The Ioniq cannot compare with the Audi in many ways. i.e. build quality, comfort, power, brakes, sound system (from a speaker point of view), etc but with all that said, I really do love the Ionig. It's like comparing apples with oranges so it's an invalid comparison really.

But the Audi costs me around €800 a month to commute to Dublin daily. The Ioniq will only cost me around €420 a month in repayments + practically zero servicing costs.

It's a great car. It hasn't been an entirely smooth experience either but I still love it. I'm putting the bad experiences I've had down to my stupidity.

3 days gone out of a 7 day test drive:

Day 1:
    I picked up the Ioniq from the dealer late on Monday night and it was fully charged. I did a quick 4km spin in it and was quite impressed after only 4km.

Day 2:
    First day commuting from Wexford to Dublin.
    121km used 66% battery - 15.0kWh/100km.

Fully charged in work and then Dublin to Wexford.
    121km used 53% battery. Then I did 16km extra driving later that evening and got 13.6kWh/100km.

All in all a pretty positive experience. I had 47% of battery left in the car. I plugged in the car with the granny cable, I ran an extension lead out to the car, and tried to set the timer to pre-heat the car in the morning. The car was charging when I went to bed.

Day 3 (today):
    I had a bit of a mare this morning. Got in the car to drive to Dublin, assumed the car was fully charged but it wasn't. It wasn't pre-heated either. The car was only on 53%. Disaster. My range was only 108km. I needed to do 121km.

There is a fast charger in Coyne's Cross service station 87km away. I drove 80kph to the M11 and the range estimation was pretty accurate. When I hit the motorway I tried 120kph for 1km and burned up 3km of range so I decided I wouldn't make the destination at 120kph so I dropped down to 100kph.

I made it wit 10% battery left and 14km of range. I charged for 12 minutes and got back on the road. This little stop off cost me a lot of time. It turned my 1hr 20min commute into 3hrs. The traffic was mental.

I normally leave early to avoid the traffic but because of this stop off I got caught right in the middle to the bad morning traffic.

Charged in work, drove home. I had to do some extra driving and only got home at 9:20pm. I did a total of 175km with 16% left in battery which is around 30km range. So when I plugged it in with the granny cable it told me it was going to be 12hrs and 10mins to full charge.

The maximum I would have been able to charge the car for was 8.5 because I have to be on the road at 5:50am to beat the Dublin traffic.

So the car was at 16%. I need at least 66% charge in the battery to get to work. By my calculation, and I may be wrong here but, if I have 84% to fill and it's going to take 12h 10mins. The max I could charge for was 8h 30mins. That equals 58.6% + the original 16% = 74% by 5:50am.

I would have been pretty stressed out over the range with just this amount of charge. So I am now sitting outside the dealership plugged into a 7kw charger. There are no fast chargers near me. I'm at 41% now and hopefully will have enough range for the morning.

Both of these problems are my own doing as I didn't realise how long the granny cable took to charge and I must have messed something up when I was charging the night before.

The missus likes the car but thinks it's an awful pain in the ass after these 2 bad experience. She doesn't think it's a good idea to buy the Ioniq. I'm more patient than my wife so I'm not turned off by these 2 charging issues. If I buy one I'll have a 7kw charger at home so charging shouldn't be a problem again.

I'd still like a longer range. Just so I could do my daily commute on a single charge but I don't think it's a deal breaker. By buying this car, I should save around 4-5k a year on my commuting costs.

Anyhow, that's how it's going so far. It hasn't been plain sailing but I'm still thinking positively about the car. If I get a chance I'll post the rest of my experience as it happens.

Really good post man

Enjoyed reading that

Think your wife is right, they usually are lol

You would be better waiting a year for a longer range ioniq imo, you have a decent commute and we forget things.

There is like a 6 month waiting list on the ioniq anyway and with Leaf 2, Model 3 etc coming out soon i would bet on Hyundai coming out with a 45kwh or so Ioniq to compete

That will be over 300km easy and would be ideal

I am waiting for something to replace my Fabia rs

300km range , bit of power ( 200-250bhp), sporty and 30k or so

Reckon 2019 something will be out for me

• Registered Users Posts: 452 ✭✭Mope

Even standard ESB charging point with 3kW would do you. When I am back home with 22 or 30% left on Battery (2 days of driving) - it says 7hours to full.

thierry14 wrote: »

Reckon 2019 something will be out for me

If you can wait, wait!

That said, the one thing we all take for granted is that come 2019 we will still get a €40k EV for €25k because of subsidies and scrappage. Chances are everyone wants an EV by then and some or all of the subsidies are gone...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,702 ✭✭✭✭BoatMad

the fact is clear, with todays EVS you have to have a proper home charge point

I live in Gorey, so I know your route , we have a 140 Km round trip commute, even before I got the car, I had a 16A EVSE installed , since upgraded to 32A.

we can recharge on night rate in 3-4 hours. Every morning the car is sitting there fully charged happily rearing to go ( after 14 months we have 58 ,000 Km on the 30 Kwh Leaf)

Funnily my wife is mad EV fanatic now, bops into dublin at the drop of a hat ( no wonder we have big mileage on the Leaf) , bops to waterford, Cork, the midlands, all without a breeze

and Yes you have to accept that FCP charging can bring delays , you simply have to factor in that you could arrive at Coynes, and be in a queue two deep ( imagine that had happened to you ) . Don't use an EV , with public charging for time sensitive travel

and of course in Wexford town Leafs have Two fast chargers , CCS has none !!!!!

[QUOTE=thierry14;103473852

[/QUOTE]

Mines a massive fan of her Leaf . so you are right , she'd never go back to ICE , as she is saving around 500 euros a month on her commute
    You would be better waiting a year for a longer range ioniq imo, you have a decent commute and we forget things.

Like all technology buy now, for needs now, otherwise their will always be | something around the corner "

There is like a 6 month waiting list on the ioniq anyway and with Leaf 2, Model 3 etc coming out soon i would bet on Hyundai coming out with a 45kwh or so Ioniq to compete
    The car he has is more then satisfactory for what he needs, forgetting to charge any EV tends to be a problem !!!!
    DOesnt need it really, the current Ioniq is more then capable

[/QUOTE]

Reckon 2019 something will be out for me[/QUOTE]

its called the model 3, and it will blow the doors off your fabia , electric will always be way way more capable of outperforming the bag of bolts that is an ICE.

even the I3 will outperform the Fabia

ps and you need nothing like that power to get performance in an electric motor , its flat torque curve just leaves ICE standing at the lights. ( remember your fabia has actually nothing like 200bhp available most of the time )

• Advertisement

BoatMad wrote: »
    [QUOTE=thierry14;103473852

Mines a massive fan of her Leaf .  so you are right , she'd never go back to ICE , as she is saving around 500 euros a month on her commute

Like all technology buy now, for needs now, otherwise their will always be | something around the corner "

There is like a 6 month waiting list on the ioniq anyway and with Leaf 2, Model 3  etc coming out soon i would bet on Hyundai coming out with a 45kwh or so Ioniq to compete
    The car he has is more then satisfactory for what he needs, forgetting to charge any EV tends to be a problem !!!!
    DOesnt need it really, the current Ioniq is more then capable

[/QUOTE]

Reckon 2019 something will be out for me[/QUOTE]

its called the model 3, and it will blow the doors off your fabia , electric will always be way way more capable of outperforming the bag of bolts that is an ICE.

even the I3 will outperform the Fabia

ps and you need nothing like that power to get performance in an electric motor , its flat torque curve just leaves ICE standing at the lights.  ( remember your fabia has actually nothing like 200bhp available most of the time )

What's with the tone?

I just said car for me isn't here till 2019 or so and poster should wait a year when the real competition heats up

Is the model 3 30k and available in 2019, like hell it is.

The I3 isn't a hothatch, sure it's good from the lights like all EV's  and quick, but it has a top speed of about 100mph and dies after 70mph, it ain't a hothatch and doesn't outperform a Fabia RS, Polo GTI etc, it's a nippy little city car, after 70mph it's bye bye I3 

bhp is bhp, like a calorie is a calorie, you can't get away from that fact

I know your some engineer and uber smart like alot of posters here, but at the end of the day you can have the flattest torque curve in the world but it won't be winning 1 mile drag races without bhp, might be good from the lights though :)

Electric power is way better not arguing that.

Of equal weight 200bhp/300nm ICE is way quicker than 150bhp/600nm EV with your flat torque curve, fact my friend 

That's why I said I need 200-250bhp, I don't want a 100bhp Leaf/Ioniq with whatever torque ( doesn't matter if it's 100million nm ) to replace my RS Ice.

VW will get it together and build a nice EV soon for me :)

VW will get it together and build a nice EV soon for me :)

Have you seen the Golf GTE? It's not fully electric, it's a hybrid but seems pretty cool. I haven't looked into it much though.

BoatMad wrote: »
    Mines a massive fan of her Leaf . so you are right , she'd never go back to ICE , as she is saving around 500 euros a month on her commute

My jaw always hits the floor when I hear of anyone driving 1+ hours each way to work or if I hear that they spend big money on a commute. But then I realise I'm doing the exact same thing. 3+ hours driving a day and €800ish a month. Pure madness.

That is a serious saving on a commute. It's similar to what i'll save if I buy an Ioniq.
    If you can wait, wait!

That said, the one thing we all take for granted is that come 2019 we will still get a €40k EV for €25k because of subsidies and scrappage. Chances are everyone wants an EV by then and some or all of the subsidies are gone...

I'd like to wait for the bigger capacity battery but like you said, the grants may dry up. Even if the grants don't dry up, are the larger capacity batteries going to be more expensive initially?

This car is going to be used solely for commuting. It will cover 95%+ of my needs. I'm going to charge at home and work most of the time so when ever I do public charge, I shouldn't be in any kind of a hurry because it'll be a leisurely, non commute journey.

If I buy one soon, I can always trade up at a later date. Who knows if they'll hold their value after a year or 2. Maybe the remaining warranty might add some value to the car making it easy to upgrade in the future.

Someone else already said that the there's always advancements in technology around the corner so you could spend years waiting for the right time to buy.

From the Sandyford junction down to Junction 22 at Gorey I did 120km real world speed where I wasn't obstructed by other cars using using adaptive cruise control.

From Gorey to Wexford on the R741 (around 40km) I set the ACC to 80km real world speed while going up to 100km occasionally.

I also used aircon on and off when needed. I have it for another few days. I'll do it today with climate control on, dipped headlights on and ACC all the way to see how I go.

Yes, I was also quite impressed with that range.

Wexford to Dublin seems to be a more energy consuming drive. I wonder if it's elevation related? Or the fact that the is more traffic on the road in the evening to prevent me from doing 120km unobstructed.

Day 4:
    Todays experience was way better (thank god)

The car had 92% in the morning. I travelled 121km and had 25% left when I arrived in work. I can't remember the leftover range.

They journey home was more interesting though....
    • 100% leaving work.
    • 121km again.
    • I used sport mode all the way home.
    • Climate control set to auto and 19.5° the whole journey.
    • Dipped head lights on the whole way home just to see what impact they'd have on the range.
    • Used cruise control for almost all of the journey, set to 120km real speed. Occasionally 130-140km real speed.
    • I took over from cruise control from time to time for the craic to give the sport mode acceleration a blast. Very responsive and good fun to drive.
    • And I detoured off the motorway at junction 22 into Gorey town and then down the R741 back to Wexford. Again, 80km to 100km cruise control on this road due to traffic. Plenty of overtaking because the car has plenty of power to do so safely.

As you can see, I didn't hold back on any power consumption here and the car had 44% left when I got home. I can't remember exactly what range it said but it was around 80-90km.

The car read 13.4kWh/100km when I got home.

I brought a few guys from work for a spin at lunchtime and they were blown away by the spec of the car for the money and the power of it. There's no way it could be called a slow car.

In fairness the Ioniq seems, nearly there.
    A bit more range to cover longer trips and driving will make it no brainer to buy, for anyone in the market for a new car.
    My point is that somebody choosing an ICE, esp a diesel, in the face of the Ioniq's performance and range of its next model, is making a poor decision.

Not slow but leaf and Ioniq could do with more power. But for what they are it's perfectly adequate.

Comparing HP is a bit mad because the Leaf, Ioniq are designed to provide more torque at lower speeds, because that's where the majority of them will spend their lives in the minds of the engineers probably.

For the same 80-90 odd Kw of available power more torque could be provided at the mid and top end but at the expense of that low down shove we all love.

If I compare my partners Cee'd Diesel, 115 HP Estate, it's got a good bit more shove at motorway speeds than the Ioniq or Leaf due to the Gearbox. Electrics could really do with a gearbox, at least 2 speeds. However, give them enough power and noone would care.

The difference Between the Leaf and the Cee'd and all similar diesels is that the Leaf will always feel like it has a lot more power because there is no delay in power being applied to the wheels, add clutch and gear changes and pop clutch again then wait for engine revs, turbo, it all feels like eternity. After driving the Leaf for so long and then driving the Diesel , if I go to over take I'm screaming at the car "WTF is wrong with this piece of sh1t, MOVE" in the Leaf, hit the Throttle and gone. It makes a big difference.

However, on the motorway the Diesel feels more powerful.

One thing that bugs me with the Leaf is that it's throttled far too much from 0, if you're stopped at a roundabout, plant the throttle it takes far too long for max power, however, roll into the roundabout and plant the throttle, you're off in an instant.

Water John wrote: »
    A bit more range to cover longer trips and driving will make it no brainer to buy, for anyone in the market for a new car.
    My point is that somebody choosing an ICE, esp a diesel, in the face of the Ioniq's performance and range of its next model, is making a poor decision.

Faster charging would be a good start also, 65 Kw is great coming from a 24 Kwh leaf but faster is always better when you need it. More range too of course.

Agreed. You could easily travel 300km+ in the Ioniq by only stopping once for a quick charge. The money to be saved is unreal.

• Advertisement

As you can see, I didn't hold back on any power consumption here and the car had 44% left when I got home. I can't remember exactly what range it said but it was around 80-90km.

The car read 13.4kWh/100km when I got home.

I brought a few guys from work for a spin at lunchtime and they were blown away by the spec of the car for the money and the power of it. There's no way it could be called a slow car.

That is good, normal driving at 120kmh and it's still good for 200km

Ioniq in fairness sounds class for the money

It will be a free car with your commute and work charging, spare a fortune, petrol station at work lol

Do you have a fast charger at work, how fast and how many?

What if your colleagues buy EV's, enough chargers for everyone

Would be nice to have a 300km range Ioniq that wouldn't require a charge for your commute but your spending 800 a month on your commute, that is crazy

7600 a year

In your shoes I would buy the Ioniq or get a different job lol

How much will the Ioniq cost you per month?

That's what I am thinking

Ideally 10kw and 50bhp more and I would be going to have a look.

Maybe they will have a performance model 😉

It will be a free car with your commute and work charging, spare a fortune, petrol station at work lol

Do you have a fast charger at work, how fast and how many?

What if your colleagues buy EV's, enough chargers for everyone

Would be nice to have a 300km range Ioniq that wouldn't require a charge for your commute but your spending 800 a month on your commute, that is crazy

7600 a year

In your shoes I would buy the Ioniq or get a different job lol

How much will the Ioniq cost you per month?

:) There aren't many jobs closer to Wexford for my profession. And I actually love my job so I've no intention of looking for another one :) it took me 15 years to find a job I love so I'm not letting go of it :)

6 chargers were installed. 5 7kW and 1 22kW. They said if there is a big demand for them, they'll install more. Pretty sweet really.

As the demand increases they'll probably set up a WhatsApp group to regulate it.

If the range was 300km I would 100% buy the Ioniq in the morning.

To be honest, I'm seriously considering buying it anyway.

My commute commute breakdown is €400 a month on diesel, €400 average on servicing. I'm not even factoring in depreciation on the car, NCT's, road tax or insurance on this so €800 is probably way short.

I'm hoping to get the Ioniq for around €20,000 after a trade in and scrappage scheme deal. Repayments on that will be €420 a month. And €100 to service every 30,000km. Road tax is €120 and there's a 5 year unlimited mileage warranty.

It actually seems like a no brainier. They're are pros and cons but the pros seem to far out weigh the cons.

Put it this way, if I bought a brand new petrol or diesel car tomorrow, I wouldn't be able to afford to run it while I'm doing that kind of mileage.

Put it this way, if I bought a brand new petrol or diesel car tomorrow, I wouldn't be able to afford to run it while I'm doing that kind of mileage.

+1

It is cheaper for me to own a brand new Ioniq, depreciation and all, than it was to own the 14 year old banger that I had before.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,285 ✭✭✭cros13

With some of the savings you can upgrade to an EV with a higher capacity pack in a year or two anyway and still be up a few quid.

This is why switching as soon as you can make it work makes sense.
    there's a 5 year unlimited mileage warranty.

Also an 8 year 200,000km battery warranty but you'll blow through that. I'm not far off the end of the 160,000km warranty on my i3's pack.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 585 ✭✭✭axe2grind

While the latter point is relelvant to decreasing consumption, main reason is wind direction which has been more northerly that southerly recently. Your consumption figures will reverse when the wind is from another direction. Then there is the rare day when the wind flips direction during the day and both directions have a head wind. If one is near the range limit then this could be a nasty surprise unless speed is throttled back to compensate.

cros13 wrote: »
    With some of the savings you can upgrade to an EV with a higher capacity pack in a year or two anyway and still be up a few quid.

This is why switching as soon as you can make it work makes sense.

This is what I have been thinking also. I can get by for a year or 2 on a 180-200km range easily so I could easily upgrade to a new car when the bigger batteries become available.
    axe2grind wrote: »
    While the latter point is relelvant to decreasing consumption, main reason is wind direction which has been more northerly that southerly recently. Your consumption figures will reverse when the wind is from another direction. Then there is the rare day when the wind flips direction during the day and both directions have a head wind. If one is near the range limit then this could be a nasty surprise unless speed is throttled back to compensate.

I never even considered wind as a factor. Thanks :) this is definitely something to consider so that you don't get caught out some day with low range.

Day 5:
    Another bit of a disaster today. I had 44% in the battery when I got home yesterday. Put it on charge at 6pm but this morning it was only on 56%.

I wasn't messing around with timers this time. I don't know what the issue is. I just plugged it in and charged it.

I stopped at Coynes Cross again for 8 minutes but this time it was like a military operation. Straight in and straight out. No dilly dallying and my journey was only 10 minutes longer than usual.

Maybe I was lucky that the traffic wasn't as heavy as usual.

I know that this issue will be avoided with a 7kW home charger. Put it this way, these 3 charging issues haven't put me off the idea of buying an Ioniq. They're only minor issues in the grand scheme of things.

I never even considered wind as a factor.

It's a huge factor that is rarely mentioned when it comes to EVs

Take a mild breeze, windforce 4. That's winds up to about 30km/h. If you have that as headwind in an Ioniq doing 100km/h (12kW/100km) it is like driving at 130km/h (17kW/100km), rough figures, an increase of nearly 50% in consumption!!!

My observation is the same. Perfect car for your commute and dude, there is something weird going on with your Granny Cable. Maybe the extension cable is to be blamed? Try removing all (if any timer setups on EV options).

Now when I read about new cars being introduced to the market with 250-300 or even 400 range, I am getting just a little anxious about "oh, I could have that..." but, when I step back and see my needs - I dont even need 200km of range I have at my disposal! I charge my car each 2nd day already, because even if I trash it, I have enough range left for 2 days driving! It is a clash of "oh so nice to have" with "do you REALLY need it?" My answer to this is - No, I do not even need more range than IONIQ currently offers (42km one way trip daily)

All colleagues at work had only positive feedback re car. Woppers you don't happen to work in Paddy Power? They installed quite a number of CP on premises.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,480 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

You guys get all the hot Greenpeace girls .

:D:D:D:D

Greenpeace would probably condemn us as we use all the rare earth minerals from mines that use child labour and destroy ecosystems of whole countries. And quite often the hot Greenpeace girls are not that hot anyway. So no, not giving up my <insert model here> guzzler.

Mope wrote: »
    there is something weird going on with your Granny Cable. Maybe the extension cable is to be blamed? Try removing all (if any timer setups on EV options).

I think I determined the problem with the charger. There seems to be a loose connection in the granny cable. Dirt! :)
    Now when I read about new cars being introduced to the market with 250-300 or even 400 range, I am getting just a little anxious about "oh, I could have that..." but, when I step back and see my needs - I dont even need 200km of range I have at my disposal! I charge my car each 2nd day already, because even if I trash it, I have enough range left for 2 days driving! It is a clash of "oh so nice to have" with "do you REALLY need it?" My answer to this is - No, I do not even need more range than IONIQ currently offers (42km one way trip daily)

I keep think exactly like this. I'd really like the longer range but I can get by without it. This car will be used mostly for commuting and it can do that sufficiently.
    All colleagues at work had only positive feedback re car. Woppers you don't happen to work in Paddy Power? They installed quite a number of CP on premises.

Yes I do :) I was actually talking to Darren the day after he was mentioned on this thread. He's messing around a good bit with the car to get fully charged notifications from the car on his phone. I haven't had a chance to look into the tools he was telling me about.

You guys get all the hot Greenpeace girls .

Hahaha! :D:D:D:D yes, they'd be all over us for our nerdy kW consumption figures! O, suit you sir! :)

I think I determined the problem with the charger. There seems to be a loose connection in the granny cable. Dirt! :)

I keep think exactly like this. I'd really like the longer range but I can get by without it. This car will be used mostly for commuting and it can do that sufficiently.

Yes I do :) I was actually talking to Darren the day after he was mentioned on this thread. He's messing around a good bit with the car to get fully charged notifications from the car on his phone. I haven't had a chance to look into the tools he was telling me about.

How much will be the 41kwh Renault Zoe be?

Should be out soon

Can't imagine much difference in price compared to the Ioniq

Will be able to do 300km easy too, you won't even need to charge at work

• Advertisement

It's out since the 1st of the month. €27k starting for the 21kWh.
    With the 22kWh still available on a low trim at €23k.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,114 ✭✭✭✭listermint

It's out since the 1st of the month. €27k starting for the 21kWh.
    With the 22kWh still available on a low trim at €23k.

Range is debatable though I'll be intrigued with the test results

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,018 ✭✭✭man_no_plan

Took a test drive in the Ioniq today, I was well impressed with it, insofar as you can tell anything from a test drive.

Herself was with me and was less than impressed with the external looks of it but had to concede it was a nice car on the road.

I really want to go electric but not sure can I afford to go brand new. On the othr hand scrappage on an 11 year old will always beat trade in against a second hand leaf etc.

Hard to know what to do. Might see can I get a 24h test drive and properly by get the feel of it.

Hard to know what to do. Might see can I get a 24h test drive and properly by get the feel of it.

Definately get a longer test drive and then run the numbers on total cost of ownership.
    Your fuel and maintenance costs effectively vanishing can have a big effect on how affordable an EV can be.

If it covers you mileage, go for it. It's like the old choice of whether to rent or buy a house. Once the house suits you and is within your budget, buying is a no brainer.

samih wrote: »
    Greenpeace would probably condemn us as we use all the rare earth minerals from mines that use child labour and destroy ecosystems of whole countries. And quite often the hot Greenpeace girls are not that hot anyway. So no, not giving up my <insert model here> guzzler.

The major rare earth element in Li in Nikel , Li is largely mined by a form of water extraction and is one of the " better " forms of mining.

€27k starting

That's far too expensive for what is basically a very basic small (nice!!!) car with a decent range. Should be no more than €20k on the road.

Not sure if there is an EPA rating for the 41kWh Zoe yet, but test results from Nyland were very disappointing, winter range similar to the 28kWh Ioniq. Which is a €25k on the road car here. Bigger, and far better specced.

Day 5:
    Another bit of a disaster today. I had 44% in the battery when I got home yesterday. Put it on charge at 6pm but this morning it was only on 56%.

I wasn't messing around with timers this time. I don't know what the issue is. I just plugged it in and charged it.

Dodgy charging Update

I had more time to investigate this issue today because I wasn't in a hurry to get to work.

It turns out that the moulded 3 pin plug on the granny cable didn't really get on with my extension lead.

When the plug was pushed into the lead, there was a bit of a rim outside the plug face. When I pushed the plug into, the moulded plug was so strong that it wanted to straighten out. After an hour or do it straightened out so much that it pulled the pins out of the extension lead.

Fookin buzz wrecker. It wasn't even pulled out that much that you'd easily spot it. I only noticed today because I wasn't in a mad hurry to get to work.

Should be out soon

Can't imagine much difference in price compared to the Ioniq

Will be able to do 300km easy too, you won't even need to charge at work

I was really interested in this car but the warranty just doesn't cut it for me :(

Not sure if there is an EPA rating for the 41kWh Zoe yet, but test results from Nyland were very disappointing, winter range similar to the 28kWh Ioniq.

It won't get an EPA rating as it's not sold in the US. The new battery seems very badly impacted by the cold. In summer conditions the Zoe 40 gets a solid 80km+ further than the Ioniq at any speed below motorway.
    After an hour or do it straightened out so much that it pulled the pins out of the extension lead.

Yes... the car being plugged in would definitely solve your issue with it not being fully charged in the morning :P

• Advertisement

Yes... the car being plugged in would definitely solve your issue with it not being fully charged in the morning :P

Ha ha! :D:D
    It does make a difference alright :)

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement